Saturday 13th & Sunday 14th September 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 13th & Sunday 14th September 2014

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Saturday 13th & Sunday 14th September 2014

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning!

Just been catching up with last night's posts. Some really insightful stuff on the Indy Ref.

Well of course I can't vote, but after some ephemerid inspired flirtation with Yes in my imagined vote I'm now back in the No camp. I'm worried that ordinary Scots are being lured by a vision of a more just and democratic nation, when what they are actually being offered is the chance to build a new London in Edinburgh, retaining all the worst things about the UK.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

A grumpy Jim Sillars on Radio 4 at the moment.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

& morning all.

Sillars needs to be careful.

rUK shoppers and service users may decide to boycott Scottish products and companies in the event of a Yes vote. [What would life without authentic shortbread petticoat tails be like ?]
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

yahyah wrote:& morning all.

rUK shoppers and service users may decide to boycott Scottish products and companies in the event of a Yes vote. [What would life without authentic shortbread petticoat tails be like ?]
Sillars should give people pause for thought.

I see little in the Yes campaign that is tolerant or inclusive. A politician threatening state sanctioned revenge on his opponents must never be allowed near real power.

It is perfectly reasonable for businesses to oppose independence.
Release the Guardvarks.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
yahyah wrote:& morning all.

Sillars should give people pause for thought.

I see little in the Yes campaign that is tolerant or inclusive. A politician threatening state sanctioned revenge on his opponents must never be allowed near real power.

It is perfectly reasonable for businesses to oppose independence.

He seems rather confused, seemed to claim that his threats against companies were a PR stunt to get him air time.

As customers of Nat West, my husband had asked our local branch manager earlier in the week to tell us whether they would move their brass plates from Scotland in the event of a Yes vote and he said he hadn't been told anything.

One fairly reputable financial commenter source [can't remember who] did suggest there could be a run on RBS if people felt unclear about things.

Runs on banks don't always happen because of real threat, they can happen because people perceive their savings/current accounts may be at risk.
So even if RBS customers are covered by the UK guarantee schemes people may feel like moving current accounts and savings to other banks.
Or to stick their fingers up to any bank with a Scottish connection of course, in response to the cybernats wanting retribution against those who dare think differently.
Last edited by yahyah on Sat 13 Sep, 2014 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

Call me naive but are the SNP attempting to reach beyond their voters? From what I've read, they seem to be concentrating solely on the N of their initials, and equating that with being the S of their initials.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

pinched from Twitter.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Morning!

Just been catching up with last night's posts. Some really insightful stuff on the Indy Ref.

Well of course I can't vote, but after some ephemerid inspired flirtation with Yes in my imagined vote I'm now back in the No camp. I'm worried that ordinary Scots are being lured by a vision of a more just and democratic nation, when what they are actually being offered is the chance to build a new London in Edinburgh, retaining all the worst things about the UK.
Morning all...

I think that's pretty much on the button - although I would suggest that the underlying agenda is to drive the privatisation wedge into what the Scots' have managed to keep as public services in the face of the theft and destruction south of the border. Not for Scotland the carving up and giving away of juicy health and education budgets to friends of Rupert, Gidiot and Hunt...at least, not until they have the 'democratic mandate' and Salmond can start ruling properly, on his own and with a direct influence on how the money is siphoned off. I wonder if Uncle Rupert is aware of this (with thanks for the link to EricW)...

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3539754

...which seems to include implicit threats that the unions will be given much more say (and power) in the running of business - does he think the last 30 years, working hard to destroy the Post-war consensus and Human Rights, have been for nothing? I'm pretty sure someone somewhere will be having a little word in his ear.

...and to the flag - maybe not that high on the agenda, but as usual, has the makings of another right royal mess - has anyone sought the views of Australia, New Zealand and the other nations with the Union Flag in their own (and indeed Hawaii) how they feel about changing their flag? http://www.thedrum.com/news/2014/09/12/ ... xpert-says

Also, not sure if this has been linked, but another to add to the list of misrepresentations, obfuscations and outright lies emanating from the Dunce of Downing St and his Coalition of Venality - http://www.thedrum.com/news/2014/09/11/ ... -pcc-rules - but, of course, the PCC is about to be/has just been replaced with an even more effective and representative body with even sharper teeth, so no problem - CMD can just ignore it as it doesn't exist :toss:
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning.

CAB Report from a couple of days ago about UC,giving particular scenarios and recommendations for improvement.

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/ ... led_people" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With regard to scenario 1(I) where you actively incentivised (urgh)to give up work by the complete removal of housing support on any earnings.I had a series of communications via my MP with the DWP about this.I paraphrase "move,unfair to support in work,insignificant numbers-from an adapted home /still cost saving given alternative/if insignificant why change;the CAB makes the same points as me and provides a remedy.
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 13 Sep, 2014 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:I see little in the Yes campaign that is tolerant or inclusive.
I keep getting told by my friends that "nobbers" like Sillars don't represent the 'Yes' Campaign, that there is more to it, that it is about a better future for all, a vibrant democracy engaging with the people in a way we in England have forgotten (that bit is usually just after I've been told it isn't an anti-English campaign); but, like you, I don't get that.

Maybe we aren't seeing the full story down here, but I'm not seeing this wellspring of positivity. People in the 'No' camp are being told they are "not proper Scots", mentioning Salmond and Murdoch in the same sentence is dismissed as an irrelevant smear, all parties South of the Border are labelled Tory ....... The levels of acrimony that will inevitably follow the result next week, whatever the result, is going to pollute life on these islands for years.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Brown and Galloway shared a platform last night, wouldn't have minded seeing that. Galloway said something along the lines of that he wouldn't mind Brown becoming Scotland's FM, Brown grinned and winked at him. For too long Labour have left the B Team alone in Scotland, that has to change, it has allowed Salmond and his party a free reign, Lamont isn't the answer, she's not totally shocking but not far off.

At least here in Wales we have someone with a bit of statue, Jones could hold his own in Westminster, no question about, you can't say that about too many of those who represent Labour in Scotland. And yes I know we have problems here, same as every region has.

And a good morning.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:I see little in the Yes campaign that is tolerant or inclusive.
I keep getting told by my friends that "nobbers" like Sillars don't represent the 'Yes' Campaign, that there is more to it, that it is about a better future for all, a vibrant democracy engaging with the people in a way we in England have forgotten (that bit is usually just after I've been told it isn't an anti-English campaign); but, like you, I don't get that.

Maybe we aren't seeing the full story down here, but I'm not seeing this wellspring of positivity. People in the 'No' camp are being told they are "not proper Scots", mentioning Salmond and Murdoch in the same sentence is dismissed as an irrelevant smear, all parties South of the Border are labelled Tory ....... The levels of acrimony that will inevitably follow the result next week, whatever the result, is going to pollute life on these islands for years.
All I can see is anger and in your face shouting.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

All I can see is anger and in your face shouting.
Absolutely. And either we're wrong, we'e not seeing the more positive side to the campaign, or they are wrong and are simply blinded to the realities of what is going on in their zeal to cut loose from the rest of the nation; most likely it is an element of both, but if the moderates think that the radicals will stop shouting after independence they are sadly mistaken, history has provided us with too many examples for me to believe that is possible.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Brown and Galloway shared a platform last night, wouldn't have minded seeing that. Galloway said something along the lines of that he wouldn't mind Brown becoming Scotland's FM, Brown grinned and winked at him. For too long Labour have left the B Team alone in Scotland, that has to change, it has allowed Salmond and his party a free reign, Lamont isn't the answer, she's not totally shocking but not far off.
Didn't see the Brown / Galloway thing but there's certainly some truth in the perception of the Labour B team in Scotland. IMO there hasn't been a Labour leader in Scotland who has come anywhere near the late Donald Dewar. It was also careless to lose two Labour FMs (McLeish and McConnell) in petty 'scandals'. The Lab/Lib coalition, with Jim Wallace as deputy FM to all the Labour FMs seemed to me to work fine.

Looking at the current candidates for running an indy Scotland - Lamont, Davidson and Salmond - is really quite depressing. The notion that Gordon Brown could stand is definitely good news. (There wouldn't be the UK problem of kicking out a sitting MSP either - the current incumbant could simply be put at the top of the list MSPs).

I'm never sure just how much of the indyRef politics is being reported outside Scotland, but Gordon Brown's comments are repeated here:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3540532
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Brown and Galloway shared a platform last night, wouldn't have minded seeing that. Galloway said something along the lines of that he wouldn't mind Brown becoming Scotland's FM, Brown grinned and winked at him. For too long Labour have left the B Team alone in Scotland, that has to change, it has allowed Salmond and his party a free reign, Lamont isn't the answer, she's not totally shocking but not far off.

At least here in Wales we have someone with a bit of statue, Jones could hold his own in Westminster, no question about, you can't say that about too many of those who represent Labour in Scotland. And yes I know we have problems here, same as every region has.

And a good morning.
Lamont does her best, and she is an improvement on her predecessor - though she achieves that merely by having a pulse tbf :lol:

The "no" campaign was really running into the ground because of the likes of insufferable "Blairite undead" self publicist (and DFH's best mate) Murphy and the ever hapless "Dougal" Alexander - not to mention the official head of BT, the unfortunately named Blair MacDougall (thought to be behind THAT utterly hideous broadcast that is believed, single-handedly, to have moved thousands - women, especially - into the yes camp)

Belatedly, this car crash has been taken over by grown ups who actually know what they are doing. Hopefully it is not too late :?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: THAT utterly hideous broadcast that is believed, single-handedly, to have moved thousands - women, especially - into the yes camp)
Do you believe that claim though ? I've seen posts by Nats claiming that female friends of theirs were 'apoplectic with rage' & so on but I think polling still shows women are more likely to vote No.

The broadcast was cringe worthy I agree but I'm really not convinced it would have been sufficient to send women flocking to support Yes all on it's own - certainly not this woman that's for sure !

If I were in Scotland right now (don't forget I'm a Scot so would have been eligible to vote) I doubt that I would admit to voting No because the level of intimidation is shocking. I hope the majority is a shy No & that this time next week we still have a United Kingdom, the emphasis being on United.

Adam Boulton on Sky yesterday even asked a Yes supporter why so many of their side were so aggressive & intimidating towards others !
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
Didn't see the Brown / Galloway thing but there's certainly some truth in the perception of the Labour B team in Scotland. IMO there hasn't been a Labour leader in Scotland who has come anywhere near the late Donald Dewar. It was also careless to lose two Labour FMs (McLeish and McConnell) in petty 'scandals'. The Lab/Lib coalition, with Jim Wallace as deputy FM to all the Labour FMs seemed to me to work fine.

Looking at the current candidates for running an indy Scotland - Lamont, Davidson and Salmond - is really quite depressing. The notion that Gordon Brown could stand is definitely good news. (There wouldn't be the UK problem of kicking out a sitting MSP either - the current incumbant could simply be put at the top of the list MSPs).

I'm never sure just how much of the indyRef politics is being reported outside Scotland, but Gordon Brown's comments are repeated here:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3540532
A good argument, and it looks as though many Scots are equally leery of Alex Salmond and Jim Sillars. I suspect the latter's comments yesterday about a 'day of reckoning' will have both shored up the yes vote whilst increasing the number of no votes from the don't knows. It made splendid, firebrand, populist copy, but anyone who thinks about his comments for a moment may well discern a political death wish.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I see btw that the big Graun headline this morning is "big guns fail to halt yes bandwagon"......

Couldn't it just as much be "yes campaign still failing to secure lead"?? After all, there were no shortage of people (both sides of the border) rushing to tell us that the mere sight of the "three stooges" heading to Scotland would lead to a stampede towards "yes"??

It seems there are major pro-union rallies planned next week across the UK - IMO, a good thing.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I see btw that the big Graun headline this morning is "big guns fail to halt yes bandwagon"......

Couldn't it just as much be "yes campaign still failing to secure lead"?? After all, there were no shortage of people (both sides of the border) rushing to tell us that the mere sight of the "three stooges" heading to Scotland would lead to a stampede towards "yes"??

It seems there are major pro-union rallies planned next week across the UK - IMO, a good thing.
The Graun's been pretty equivocal about how they report indyref news, and I agree that the current headline is as Scots would say, mince. I also wonder just how many don't knows are going to be no votes come Thursday. Excellent interventions by Gordon Brown, I have to say, and pro-indy supporters slagging him down as the man who 'bankrupted' the UK aren't, I suspect, doing themselves many favours, particularly as they seem unable to refute his main arguments.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:I see btw that the big Graun headline this morning is "big guns fail to halt yes bandwagon"......

The Graun's been pretty equivocal about how they report indyref news, and I agree that the current headline is as Scots would say, mince. I also wonder just how many don't knows are going to be no votes come Thursday. Excellent interventions by Gordon Brown, I have to say, and pro-indy supporters slagging him down as the man who 'bankrupted' the UK aren't, I suspect, doing themselves many favours, particularly as they seem unable to refute his main arguments.
Reading BTL in most of the press articles, it's a fairly standard tactic for pro-independence supporters to ignore the arguments and attack the person putting them forward.
After Gordon Brown's speech, here's an article from John Smith's widow.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/polit ... er-4249917
It looks as if the 'no' side is trying to put more emotion into its campaign.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Retweeted by Lightacandle
alan rusbridger ‏@arusbridger 52m
@lightacandleOTM new editorial board. Consulted widely on paper and beyond. We'll poll reAders next week

????
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Risk to horticulture getting lost "if a Yes vote,according to some

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/11 ... lture.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Roll on Friday, so I can stop agreeing with right leaning journalists. Most unbecoming. 8-)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

We have a new spammer on the site :(

http://flythenest.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&p=2403#p2403" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have reported it to the mods but is this the price we have to pay for being ad-free ?
Last edited by pk1 on Sat 13 Sep, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

ohsocynical wrote:Retweeted by Lightacandle
alan rusbridger ‏@arusbridger 52m
@lightacandleOTM new editorial board. Consulted widely on paper and beyond. We'll poll reAders next week

????
In response to lightcandle's question regarding lack.of consultation with readers prior to editorial on IndyRef,unlike GE and why the difference.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Two polls out tonight, Sunday Times/Panelbase released at 9.30.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Boris got it then.... :roll:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

ohsocynical wrote:Boris got it then.... :roll:
. Yes, and the general consensus seems to be that the buffoon wouldn't have bothered if he didn't think he could usurp Dave, yet more bad news for Ed Miliband.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Roll on Friday, so I can stop agreeing with right leaning journalists. Most unbecoming. 8-)

Not to mention G Galloway :D
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Roll on Friday, so I can stop agreeing with right leaning journalists. Most unbecoming. 8-)

It does seem odd when Galloway sounds like a voice of reason.
Heard him on Radio 4 the other day and he was calm and persuasive.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

It does seem odd when Galloway sounds like a voice of reason.
Heard him on Radio 4 the other day and he was calm and persuasive.
I think I posted a link to his article [yesterday] I was impressed. :?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Labour eight point lead"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... erver-poll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

HindleA wrote:"Labour eight point lead"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... erver-poll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice one, thanks for the link :dance: Outliers and margin of error taken into account of course.

Let's hope the Yes brigade focusing on the Tories in government may be helping the Labour vote for Westminster.

As I've said before [and will say again], if No wins the Nats are going to find it difficult to argue that a vote for them is worth a sparrow fart at the next general election.
Last edited by yahyah on Sat 13 Sep, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

pk1 wrote:We have a new spammer on the site :(

http://flythenest.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&p=2403#p2403" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have reported it to the mods but is this the price we have to pay for being ad-free ?
We occasionally got them in the last place. Banned and deleted.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

That's out early - not that I am complaining in this instance ;)
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

refitman wrote:

Never noticed them before but cheers for the answer - I had begun to think I was invisible since nobody ever responds to my posts any more. I have a shower every day & brush my teeth twice a day so I don't think my personal hygiene is the problem..... ;)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good news!

What's going on with commentators insisting the Tories are going to be returned to form a government, please? What is this based upon?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

What is it about journalists? Why do they feel the need to describe 37% as "nearly two in five" [polled who approve of Cameron]?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Labour finished by Rotherham then.

Talking of which, dealing with someone on Twitter who put up a picture of Sarah Champion thinking she's Joyce Thacker.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Wonder if the poll is out early so they can keep all the click-baits for this evening independence polls, two out tonight, apparently?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 1m
New Survation poll on Scotland: No 54%, Yes 46% - best for the Union in the last week.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:

Good news!

What's going on with commentators insisting the Tories are going to be returned to form a government, please? What is this based upon?
Not a lot, is the answer.

Though it has been rather less evident in recent weeks - Carswell came as a cold bath for a few, I think.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

What is it about journalists? Why do they feel the need to describe 37% as "nearly two in five" [polled who approve of Cameron]?
I've no idea but it annoys the hell out me.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Survation polling out. No 54% Yes 46%.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

And just in time, the old bastard shows up.

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2014-09-1 ... and-votes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What Murdoch thinks he can gain by ''touring'' Scotland is anyone's guess?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@AnatolyKasparov
Not a lot, is the answer.

Though it has been rather less evident in recent weeks - Carswell came as a cold bath for a few, I think.
I've been reading too many below the line contributions on the Scottish referendum then. Not a damn thing done well for anyone but friends & family the Tories & with the YES vote in Scotland that's somehow that's bad news for Ed Miliband.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

pk1 wrote:
refitman wrote:

Never noticed them before but cheers for the answer - I had begun to think I was invisible since nobody ever responds to my posts any more. I have a shower every day & brush my teeth twice a day so I don't think my personal hygiene is the problem..... ;)
Just to reassure you, pk1, that I'm sure you smell very sweet and body odour has nothing to do with response rates here. I think there's been a general drift to less 'conversations' here - other than those recently about independence for Scotland. Might be partly to do with some of the posters who used to do much more of the 'continuity' role - PfY, porfavor (myself sometimes) and you being about less of late. (I know there are others who do this too - sorry can't list all, brain is tired from being out in the fields.)There are newer posters coming in which is great - but I do miss a bit of the continuity stuff. And not forgetting that Tubby and Roger O'T can, and do, discuss the education foibles of this coalition shambles at length.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:And just in time, the old bastard shows up.

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2014-09-1 ... and-votes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What Murdoch thinks he can gain by ''touring'' Scotland is anyone's guess?
Anybody would think he's feeling a bit left out, a bit needy - hasn't had enough attention of late.
Working on the wild side.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Morning!

That's just about sums it up for me too.