Wednesday 1st April 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 1st April 2015

Post by citizenJA »

It’s time to end Tory austerity – and only Labour can deliver
Speech by Ed Balls, Labour’s Shadow Chancellor at The Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow

APRIL 1, 2015 (5:31 PM)
http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1152183 ... nly-labour
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

A letter from businesses asking the government for tax cuts is getting a lot of publicity today.

Make sure working people are heard too — sign our letter >>

You can sign it here

http://www.labour.org.uk/w/zero-hours-contracts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

citizenJA wrote:Labour tonight publishes a letter from working people including some in business and others on zero hours contracts and still more from public services and the arts or entertainment industry, backing Labour’s better plan for a better future. It is a letter which shows how Labour’s plan commands support from all walks of life – because Britain, and British business, succeeds when working people succeed. The text of the letter which has also been sent to the Guardian newspaper appears below:
Dear Sir,

We all care about Britain’s economy and we all have a stake in the future.
We are all working people. Some of us run businesses, large and small. Some of us used to work on zero hours contracts, some of us still do.
We come from all walks of life; this is what Britain looks like.
We believe that the fundamental choice at this election is: who does this country work for? Does it work only for those at the very top or does it work for working people – those trying to make ends meet, working in British businesses across the country to create wealth and support their families?
A symbol of the failure of this Government’s economic plan is the proliferation of zero hours contracts which has helped fuel the low wage, low skill economy that is letting down working people and letting down Britain.
Britain only succeeds when working people succeed. We need a better plan for prosperity. We need a better plan and a better future. We need a Labour Government to put working people first.

Yours faithfully,

[many people signed their name to this letter here]

APRIL 1, 2015 (7:02 PM)
http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1152243 ... ing-people
And the beauty of it is that if the Tories come back with "Well, it's clearly been orchestrated by the Labour Party" then the answer is "Maybe you should admit that yours was too since everybody knows it already".

Not sure the original letter wasn't a faux pas given the "labour aren't the party of working people" line that gets trotted out - they can say "well, actually we're a damn sight more than you are..."
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Ok, this is interesting.

An Ed Miliband promotional piece by Anne Perkins.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... h-election

Have to admit, didn't see that coming.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Labour tonight publishes a letter from working people including some in business and others on zero hours contracts and still more from public services and the arts or entertainment industry, backing Labour’s better plan for a better future. It is a letter which shows how Labour’s plan commands support from all walks of life – because Britain, and British business, succeeds when working people succeed. The text of the letter which has also been sent to the Guardian newspaper appears below:
Dear Sir,

We all care about Britain’s economy and we all have a stake in the future.
We are all working people. Some of us run businesses, large and small. Some of us used to work on zero hours contracts, some of us still do.
We come from all walks of life; this is what Britain looks like.
We believe that the fundamental choice at this election is: who does this country work for? Does it work only for those at the very top or does it work for working people – those trying to make ends meet, working in British businesses across the country to create wealth and support their families?
A symbol of the failure of this Government’s economic plan is the proliferation of zero hours contracts which has helped fuel the low wage, low skill economy that is letting down working people and letting down Britain.
Britain only succeeds when working people succeed. We need a better plan for prosperity. We need a better plan and a better future. We need a Labour Government to put working people first.

Yours faithfully,

[many people signed their name to this letter here]

APRIL 1, 2015 (7:02 PM)
http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1152243 ... ing-people
And the beauty of it is that if the Tories come back with "Well, it's clearly been orchestrated by the Labour Party" then the answer is "Maybe you should admit that yours was too since everybody knows it already".

Not sure the original letter wasn't a faux pas given the "labour aren't the party of working people" line that gets trotted out - they can say "well, actually we're a damn sight more than you are..."
I think this is interesting for a number of reasons. The key change, as others have pointed out here, is that social media is having a huge impact.

Back in the day the Tory business story would have been the beginning, middle and end of the day. It wouldn't have changed much and the parties would simply have repeated the same arguments.

Now what seems to happen is a story breaks, the online community digs around, critiques and argues. This drives the twitter-sphere and web sites, which feeds into the news (who have to basically talk continuously 24x7, so grab anything) and the story morphs and changes. Now the ability of a few rich people to drive the news agenda has to be in question.

Of course when somebody screws up it will generate a shit storm, let's hope Cameron is the one to drop a bollock.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, PF
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Ok, this is interesting.

An Ed Miliband promotional piece by Anne Perkins.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... h-election

Have to admit, didn't see that coming.
No one would've seen that coming.
I love it!
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Just got this email:
Hi everyone,

I am delighted that 24,395 of you wrote in with a question for me. The team here looked through them all (hence the slight delay on getting back to you), and pulled out the most frequently-asked for me to answer. My responses are below — I hope they seem fair and right to you.

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch.

Ed

Do you intend to stop exploitative zero-hour contracts? I am on one and it is very stressful never knowing what wages you will get paid or what hours you will have. You don't have a life because you cannot plan anything. — Caitlin, Basingstoke

Ed: Thank you for your question, Caitlin, and I'm sorry you're in this situation. The insecurity that people like you are experiencing is a part of the cost of living crisis, and I'm passionately committed to tackling it. We can't have a situation where people get a text at 5am to tell them whether or not they have work that day. You can't plan, you can't save. We are going to act on this if we win in May. If you work regular hours, you should get a regular contract.

Why do politicians keep awarding themselves huge pay rises, when my husband and I both work for the local authority and have had nothing for years? Did you vote for your huge pay rise? — Karen, Swansea

Ed: You're right to be angry about this, Karen. The pay rise for MPs proposed by the parliamentary standards body is totally unacceptable and I have told them that very clearly. Every minister in a government I lead will have a five per cent pay cut. There is still more to do to get the deficit down and I will ensure that ministers play their part by being paid less.

If Labour gets in at the next election, will you be scrapping the bedroom tax as soon as you take power? As a disabled person on a low income and in a property with more than one bedroom, I find it hard to make ends meet with paying this. — Michael, Greater Manchester

Ed: Yes. I have promised that a Labour government will scrap the bedroom tax, it'll be in our manifesto, and we'll get it done as a priority. It's a cruel Tory policy that hits disabled people especially unfairly.

How are you going to undo the Tory changes to the NHS without destabilising it further and make health care equitable? Thank you. — Jane, Faversham

Ed: The NHS is in crisis. Everyone knows it — even Tory ministers know it. The number of patients waiting longer than four hours in a hospital has more than doubled since 2010 — meaning that last year almost a million patients were left waiting. This hasn't happened by accident, or because of some force of nature. It happened because of decisions this government has taken. They promised no top-down re-organisation of the NHS, then spent billions on one. Labour has rescued the NHS from a crisis of Tory making before, and we're going to do it again. We will recruit 20,000 more nurses and 8,000 more GPs through a "Time To Care" fund, paid for by a Mansion Tax on properties worth over £2 million and a levy on tobacco companies, and we will have a profit cap on the amount private companies can take out of our NHS.

If you do not get an overall majority will you form a coalition partnership with the SNP? — Hilary, Nottingham

Ed: I won't be forming a coalition with the SNP and a government I lead will have no SNP ministers. There are huge differences between Labour and the SNP — on the future of the UK obviously, but also on issues such as fair taxes (we're for fair taxes, the SNP aren't).

What encouragement can you give me that my 23-year-old daughter, who works hard in a low-paid job, that she will ever be able to afford a place of her own? — Alan, Loughborough

Ed: Hi Alan, I understand why you're concerned. House prices keep rising and the dream of home ownership is slipping out of reach for so many young people. Part of the problem is we're just not building enough homes — and under the Tories, the level of house building has fallen to its lowest peacetime rate since the 1920s. The next Labour government will get Britain building 200,000 new homes a year by 2020, including affordable housing and new social homes. We will also make sure renters get a fairer deal by introducing longer-term tenancies and banning rip-off letting fees. I hope this gives you some encouragement that, if we win, a Labour government will put the dream of home ownership back within reach of more young people like your daughter.

When prime minister, how will you enable PMQs not to be the embarrassment it currently is? The behaviour of Labour MPs is every bit as shameful as their Tory counterparts. I cringe each Wednesday watching it. — Martin, West Midlands

Ed: Any prime minister should be under a lot of scrutiny and held to account, but PMQs just doesn't effectively achieve that anymore. I've urged the Speaker of the House of Commons to reform the way we do things, including the option of a public PMQs where the public could hold me to account.

I am stuck as to whether to vote Labour or Lib Dem. I am not interested in past records either, I am looking to the future. Many people fall in an "in-between zone", not poor enough to receive help with living costs, but not rich enough to be able to stay on top of general living costs. How would Labour deal with this? — Zoe, Norfolk

Ed: Hi Zoe, you're absolutely right that the problem in our economy right now is that recovery just isn't reaching working people — just a few at the top. Many working people aren't getting paid enough to be able to stay on top of the bills. Tackling this cost of living crisis will be the key mission of the next Labour government. Unlike the Tories, Labour understand that Britain only succeeds when working families succeed, and that's why only a Labour government can tackle the cost of living crisis. One of the ways we will do this is by freezing your energy bills until 2017 and giving the regulator the power to cut bills this winter so that people can afford to heat their homes. To make sure work pays, we will ban exploitative zero-hours contracts, raise the minimum wage to £8, and provide 25 hours free childcare per week for working parents with three or four year olds. We'll also introduce a new, lower 10p starting rate of tax, paid for by scrapping the unfair marriage tax allowance, which will benefit 24 million people on middle and lower incomes. The cost of housing is also a key element in the cost-of-living crisis, and in my answer above to Alan you can see our plans for this. I hope this answers your question.

What are your plans for the young people who are out of work, cannot see a future and are getting very frustrated with life? — Raphia, Enfield

Ed: Thanks for your question, Raphia. We have a plan for young people who have been out of work — we'll guarantee any young person who has been out of work for a year a job. It's called the Jobs Guarantee, and it will do exactly what it says. We have to provide young people with the chance to work, earn and learn new skills — so another key priority is changing the way we train young people. I've spoken before about what I call the 'forgotten 50 per cent' — the young people for whom university isn't the right path. Currently these people, and their talents, are let down by the system. The next Labour government will work with businesses and schools to deliver a revolution in apprenticeships and technical degrees, giving young people new routes into well-paid and secure jobs.

Ed, Why did you enter politics? — Paul, Telford

Ed: It was because of my parents and the values they taught me. As refugees from the Nazis, they taught me that we have a duty to leave the world a better place than we found it and that we cannot shrug our shoulders at injustice. I want Britain to be a country where everyone has the chance to live the life they choose for themselves and their family, where each of us feels a responsibility to look out for one another, and where everyone's voice can be heard.

Hello Ed, I am a first time voter in May and I am a Labour Party member. What do I say, in a nutshell, to my friends about why they should vote Labour? — Ita, Birmingham

Ed: We don't have a nutshell but we do have our pledge card — the five promises we're making to the people of Britain (http://www.labour.org.uk/pledges" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). In a sentence, though, you could tell them: this government has stood up only for a privileged few; a Labour government will stand up for all. (And thank you for being a Labour member. Our members and supporters are going to make the difference in this election).

Hi Ed, I honestly don't know who I am going to vote for in May. My question to you would be 'why should I vote Labour?' — Pauline, Middlesbrough

Ed: There's a clear choice at this election: between a failing plan, and a better plan for working families. This Tory-led government is taking Britain backwards — working people are £1,600 worse off, life for the next generation is getting harder, and the NHS is in crisis. We know what five more years of the Tories would bring because we've seen the last five years, and in the recent Budget they confirmed plans for extreme spending cuts after the election — which will put our NHS at risk.​

The gap between rich and poor is widening all the time, and I believe the economy won't get better until poorer people get a better deal on things. What are your thoughts on this? — John, Huddersfield

Ed: I agree with you. I believe passionately that our country can only succeed when working people succeed. That's very different to the Tory belief that if you help the few at the top, the wealth will trickle down — which history has shown just doesn't work. That's why we want to make work pay and tackle insecurity. There too many people who want stable, full time jobs who are forced to stay on zero-hour or part-time contracts. Too many people in work aren't making enough to pay the bills. That's wrong, and tackling these problems is something that drives me, and will be central not just to this election but to Labour's mission in government.

How are you going to convince the electorate that the economy is safe in Labour's hands? — Karen, Southampton

Ed: Hi Karen, I think the Tories' failure on the economy will speak for itself. David Cameron and George Osborne said they would balance the budget by the end of this Parliament, but they have failed. The first promise on our election pledge card is that a Labour government will balance the books and cut the deficit every year while securing the future of the NHS. Every manifesto commitment that we make will be costed and none will require additional borrowing.

We got plenty of questions on immigration — here are two that show some of the different viewpoints, and below is my answer to both:

Dear Ed, I was really sad when I saw that the Labour Party have begun to take an anti-immigration stance. I really feel that this is a mistake; it is jumping on a bandwagon that was created by the media. Is there any chance that Labour will get the courage to move away from this position? — Angela, Uckfield

Immigration is the biggest concern to a lot of voters, which seems to be why people are looking to UKIP. What are Labour's plans to tackle the problem? — Peter, Gateshead

Ed: Thank you Peter and Angela for your questions. Peter — as you say, lots of people I speak to tell me that immigration is a big concern to them. Angela — I don't believe that it's wrong to control immigration. People have come to Britain from abroad over many generations and have built our businesses, worked in our public services and contributed to our nation's growth — people like my own parents. But we do need controls. In too many instances in recent years, we've seen wages undercut, sometimes by unscrupulous employers exploiting cheap migrant labour. So we will stop that. And we believe that benefits should be earned. So we'll also ensure that people who come here won't be able to claim benefits for at least two years. We also need to strengthen our borders so we can count people in and out and deal with illegal immigration.

Hi Ed, I would really like to know how Labour will be helping small business and new business prosper and grow? How will Labour give real support to struggling business starters? I know from personal experience how hard it is to live day-to-day and pay the bills whilst starting a small business without any financial help. — Garry, Kings Lynn

Ed: Hi Garry — thanks for your question and all the best with your business. Britain's small businesses are the backbone of the economy, and we're going to do several things to help them. Firstly, if we win in May, we're going to cut business rates, and then freeze them in 2016. You'll also benefit from the energy price freeze — I've heard from so many small business owners that energy bills are causing them real problems. We're going to reform the banking system to make sure more small businesses, and entrepreneurs looking to set up businesses, get access to the finance they need. We'll establish a proper British Investment Bank and support a regional banking network to boost lending, and increase competition in the banking sector — we want to see at least two new challenger banks and a market share test to ensure the market stays competitive for the long term. ​We'll also act to tackle the late payment of small businesses.

Hi Ed, if you could have one superpower what would it be? — Jed, Lincoln

Ed: I've never thought about that! But my two boys, Daniel and Sam, always say that they would love to be able to time travel. So perhaps they could go forward in time, come back, and tell me all about their adventures.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Miliband on music, cricket – and the Sinclair ZX Spectrum - Interview on Absolute Radio

http://labourlist.org/2015/04/miliband- ... -spectrum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Night PF :)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'd like to time travel.
Alternative realities too.
Imagine a UK where Mags left for the US to pursue a corporate role with DuPont & the UK didn't return a Tory government in 1979.

edited to spell something correctly
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:Miliband on music, cricket – and the Sinclair ZX Spectrum - Interview on Absolute Radio

http://labourlist.org/2015/04/miliband- ... -spectrum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is funny and good, just listening (and watching it) to it now
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Jack Of Kent has a good article on the latest example of Chris Grayling being found to have acted unlawfully.

http://jackofkent.com/2015/04/grayling- ... le-of-law/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was the argument made by the Government's lawyer.
The case was about whether Grayling could ignore the Ministry of Justice’s own statutory “Directions” (rules formally made under a statutory provision) when forcing a change of policy about the treatment of prisoners.

54. Mr Weisselberg’s principal submission in response on this issue in oral argument was as concise as it was striking. The Directions were issued by the Secretary of State. He has the power to amend or revoke them; therefore he has the power to ignore or contradict them. They are not directions to him but by him, and he cannot be bound by them.
So essentially Grayling was arguing that he personally wasn't bound by the rule of law (unlike everyone else) because he had the power to amend or revoke it. Any other laws he doesn't feel bound by?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Can anyone embed the Ed video ? Really worth watching, if he can do more of these interviews on main stream TV that Landslide would be rolling ! :dance:
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AngryAsWell wrote:Can anyone embed the Ed video ? Really worth watching, if he can do more of these interviews on main stream TV that Landslide would be rolling ! :dance:
Here you are:
[youtube]14Wy4Vh-4bM[/youtube]
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Thank you Refitman :)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

California governor orders water restrictions amid historic drought

Governor Jerry Brown on Wednesday ordered the State Water Resources Control Board to reduce statewide water use by 25%. The action – the first time ever state officials have imposed mandatory water restrictions – is expected to save 1.5m acre-feet of water by the year’s end.

“It’s a different world,” Jerry Brown said. “We have to act differently.”

Brown made the announcement while standing on a patch of brown grass in the Sierra Nevada, which would have historically been covered in snow.

“This historic drought demands unprecedented action,” Brown said in a statement. “Therefore, I’m issuing an executive order mandating substantial water reductions across our state. As Californians, we must pull together and save water in every way possible.”

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015 ... ns-drought" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Governor Brown is a good man, strong & wise. I admire his work.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I have a distant cousin who lives in California...Some of the posts from friends on his Facebook page are quite disbelieving that it's as bad as the authorities say.

They haven't been getting enough rain to keep up with demand for a long time. Cutting down now is a bit late isn't?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

From the ONS report on the revised growth figures. Says it all really...rebalancing? What's that then?
Industries have shown differing trends following the recent economic downturn. The construction,
manufacturing and production industries were more acutely affected by the deterioration in
economic conditions, with output falling from peak to trough by 17.1%, 12.2% and 10.7%
respectively. In contrast, output in the services industry only fell by 4.0% from its peak to trough.

Production activity began to grow again in 2010, and the manufacturing and the construction
industries showed particular strength – but neither industry sustained this growth. Production
output fell in both 2011 and 2012, falling below levels seen at the height of the downturn in 2009.

Construction output also fell sharply in 2012, with output falling close to its 2009 trough after further
contraction in Quarter 1 2013.

Construction output improved over much of 2014. However output declined in the most recent
quarter. Although, there has been widespread growth across all major components of GDP since the
start of 2013, the service industry remains the largest and steadiest contributor to overall economic
growth, and is the only headline industry in which output has exceeded pre-downturn levels
There's a graph too but I'm useless at getting the sizing right.

It's on this on page 8

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_398239.pdf
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote:From the ONS report on the revised growth figures. Says it all really...rebalancing? What's that then?
Industries have shown differing trends following the recent economic downturn. The construction,
manufacturing and production industries were more acutely affected by the deterioration in
economic conditions, with output falling from peak to trough by 17.1%, 12.2% and 10.7%
respectively. In contrast, output in the services industry only fell by 4.0% from its peak to trough.

Production activity began to grow again in 2010, and the manufacturing and the construction
industries showed particular strength – but neither industry sustained this growth. Production
output fell in both 2011 and 2012, falling below levels seen at the height of the downturn in 2009.

Construction output also fell sharply in 2012, with output falling close to its 2009 trough after further
contraction in Quarter 1 2013.

Construction output improved over much of 2014. However output declined in the most recent
quarter. Although, there has been widespread growth across all major components of GDP since the
start of 2013, the service industry remains the largest and steadiest contributor to overall economic
growth, and is the only headline industry in which output has exceeded pre-downturn levels
There's a graph too but I'm useless at getting the sizing right.

It's on this on page 8

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_398239.pdf
Attachments
ONS.png
ONS.png (49.61 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

I wonder, if a few days before Election Day, and god willing Labour are still in with a hell of a shout if a lot of papers in the DoE get shredded or lost.. Paranoia setting in maybe, but I just read somewhere about 5 billion worth of land which were once in local authorities hands being transferred to academies, dressed up as giving parents choice and raising standards..

Has the question of who owns the land on which the schools are situated been answered fully, buggered if I know?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:I wonder, if a few days before Election Day, and god willing Labour are still in with a hell of a shout if a lot of papers in the DoE get shredded or lost.. Paranoia setting in maybe, but I just read somewhere about 5 billion worth of land which were once in local authorities hands being transferred to academies, dressed up as giving parents choice and raising standards..

Has the question of who owns the land on which the schools are situated been answered fully, buggered if I know?
I don't think it has, and it's not even being asked really. I don't know why.

Agree with you about the DfE being nervous. One thing I can think of which might do a runner is the internal rankings of academy chains which we aren't allowed to see- with the absurdity that the DfE could basically think a chain are shit but support them opening a school near you.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

I think we can pretty much write off Faisal Islam. He's definitely been sucking at the Murdoch kool-aid since moving to Sky.
Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 26s26 seconds ago
Worth a follow: @BorisJohnson
Yes that's the full tweet. Basically telling people to follow Boris.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

refitman wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Can anyone embed the Ed video ? Really worth watching, if he can do more of these interviews on main stream TV that Landslide would be rolling ! :dance:
Here you are:
[youtube]14Wy4Vh-4bM[/youtube]
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You Ok Ed?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

On the SignaTory letter from this article in the guardian
Brent Hoberman, a non-executive director of Guardian Media Group, owner of the Guardian, signed.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Latest YouGov gives the tories a 2 point lead

Lab 34
Con 36
UKIP 14
LibDem 8
Green 4
I still believe in a town called Hope
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:I have a distant cousin who lives in California...Some of the posts from friends on his Facebook page are quite disbelieving that it's as bad as the authorities say.

They haven't been getting enough rain to keep up with demand for a long time. Cutting down now is a bit late isn't?
This is a person, Gov Brown, who's taken on the hydraulic fracturing companies owned by wealthy, powerful people. He's the only US state governor who's been successful passing legislation collaring their activities in any meaningful way. He's pissing off a lot of people who don't want to face reality. I'm amazed he's managing as well as he is.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Liz Truss has been shining in her new job.

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/4500 ... -went-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The troubled rural payments digital service failed its most recent assessment by the Government Digital Service (GDS), but was still launched to farmers to make claims for EU subsidies.

The service proved to have such significant performance problems that it was subsequently withdrawn and replaced by paper forms.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

adam wrote:On the SignaTory letter from this article in the guardian
Brent Hoberman, a non-executive director of Guardian Media Group, owner of the Guardian, signed.
Great spot Adam !

Labour have now put the letter online via their Twitter a/c. It now has over 2000 sigs. :D

Needless to say, Atul Hatwal reckons its a catastrophic mistake......:roll:

Dale Vince of Ecotricity, was unequivocal on NewsNight tonight in endorsing Labour.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Daily Spite running with the 'Labour MPs & Councils' use ZHCs - a story that was firmly rejected after the last time they tried to create outrage about it.

Roll on May 7th when all this bollocks will end & Ed can get shot of the slug that is currently inhabiting No 10.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:PFY, #SignaTories was a good 'un, I would have gone with that one on Twitter but for the #100Sociopaths hashtag.

In other news ..... I won't link to it either, but I guess people will be less than surprised to hear that Havisham Hodges has called it for the Tories for the third day running!! I'm looking at sometime in early May for the "I am, with great reluctance, voting Tory announcement", certainly if he has inherited any of his mum's talent for dramatic timing.
And there we are, in "no shit Sherlock" territory. Danny boy "fucking arsehole right wing wanker" Hodges has decreed that the Tories are marvellous and doing really, really well? Well, there's a shocker and no mistake.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Analysis of the Con letter by the i:

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/w ... g1OyE1I6Ax" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

g'night everyone
love
cJA
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Goodnight cJA & PF
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Just watched it - it's brilliant !

Thank you so much & it's good to see you - don't stay away so long ! :)