Fri 3rd, Sat 4th, Sun 5th & Mon 6th April - Easter edition

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Fri 3rd, Sat 4th, Sun 5th & Mon 6th April - Easter editi

Post by rebeccariots2 »

From BTL on the G question and answer piece with the Green party's Martin Dobson. http://www.theguardian.com/culture/live ... tin-dobson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Martin Liptrot 2h ago
Do you regret recruiting your social media campaigner, was it just a huge error of judgement?
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... er-8917100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The risks associated with a fast growing party in evidence again ... not sure why this activist was working on behalf of the Greens given how far away from their stated values and principles the images he posted in a personal capacity were ... caught up in the surge rather than the substance?
Working on the wild side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 22s22 seconds ago
Pre-debate YouGov Welsh poll

Lab 40% (nc)
Con 27% (+2)
UKIP 13% (-1)
PC 9% (-2)
LD 6% (+1)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:From BTL on the G question and answer piece with the Green party's Martin Dobson. http://www.theguardian.com/culture/live ... tin-dobson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Martin Liptrot 2h ago
Do you regret recruiting your social media campaigner, was it just a huge error of judgement?
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... er-8917100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The risks associated with a fast growing party in evidence again ... not sure why this activist was working on behalf of the Greens given how far away from their stated values and principles the images he posted in a personal capacity were ... caught up in the surge rather than the substance?

Yuk, not sure which is worse, the upskirt pic or him posing with guns.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:From BTL on the G question and answer piece with the Green party's Martin Dobson. http://www.theguardian.com/culture/live ... tin-dobson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Martin Liptrot 2h ago

Yuk, not sure which is worse, the upskirt pic or him posing with guns.
Quite.
Working on the wild side.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

From BTL at the Guardian
captaincoveman:

Osborne is now officially the "Vatman" and Cameron is "Robbin' ".
:rofl:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ed Balls warns of secret Conservative plan to raise VAT by 2p

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... are_btn_tw
Bloody hell that is going to cause hardship. Although Food, books and children's clothing is excluded, making and producing what we eat and wear is. Prices will go up across the board.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 31 mins31 minutes ago
Pre-debate YouGov Scotland poll just published

SNP 46% (nc)
Lab 29% (+2)
Con 16% (-2)
LD 3% (-1)
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

Post by onebuttonmonkey »

Paul Krugman's written an excellent and cautionary piece called Economics and Elections http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/06/opini ... pan-region in the NYT today:
Britain’s economic performance since the financial crisis struck has been startlingly bad. A tentative recovery began in 2009, but it stalled in 2010. Although growth resumed in 2013, real income per capita is only now reaching its level on the eve of the crisis — which means that Britain has had a much worse track record since 2007 than it had during the Great Depression.
He says what we all fear - that despite all this policy failure, the Tories might end up not being punished for it at the polls. Why?
Well, you could blame the weakness of the opposition, which has done an absolutely terrible job of making its case. You could blame the fecklessness of the news media, which has gotten much wrong. But the truth is that what’s happening in British politics is what almost always happens, there and everywhere else: Voters have fairly short memories, and they judge economic policy not by long-term results but by recent growth. Over five years, the coalition’s record looks terrible. But over the past couple of quarters it looks pretty good, and that’s what matters politically.
It's worth a read even if its conclusions won't surprise anyone, just for his habit of saying plainly what most other columnists don't say - certainly in our country's press.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 39 mins39 minutes ago

Latest YouGov Scotland poll.
Independence Q:

Yes 46%
No 48%
DK/WNV 6%
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

ohsocynical wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 39 mins39 minutes ago

Independence Q:

Yes 46%
No 48%
DK/WNV 6%
Do those 46% know about what's happened to oil prices since September?
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Britain’s health service: the best in the world?

Jon Snow's blog.

http://blogs.channel4.com/snowblog/brit ... orld/25297
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 39 mins39 minutes ago

Independence Q:

Yes 46%
No 48%
DK/WNV 6%
Do those 46% know about what's happened to oil prices since September?
Doubt it. From a few Tweets I've read they're even sucking up to Murdoch.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote: The Labour Party are attacking the SNP on issues and their record. However the SNP pitch is we are left wing, Labour are red Tories and - bizarrely- the only way to get a Labour government you want is to vote SNP. Under these circumstances pointing out that the SNP would prefer to have a Tory government is critical to countering that argument. I would think their record on centralisation, big brother government and privatisation of NHS Scotland will also be used. Plus that lovely quote saying they weren't opposed to the privatisation of NHS England.
That last quote is unfair on them- it was about "EVEL" which they have supported in the past, and seem to be supporting now when there's a direct influence on Barnett. If they said they were going to vote v English privatisation they'd get more shit for interfering.

I think they ought to vote on nearly everything, if not everything. If England's NHS eg gives big pay rise to constultants, Scotland is affected by that.

The SNP are passing for leftwing because lots of people think universal benefits are leftwing. They are when you put up the top rate of tax, but not when you don't do anything with tax and cut thinks that affect the poor under the radar, which is what these nasty sods have done.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

All regions should vote on everything - it's a UK Parliament and there is no sensible way to draw the line. The solution is greater devolution to the regions (or whatever the appropriate level) of the country currently known as England.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

tinyclanger2 wrote:All regions should vote on everything - it's a UK Parliament and there is no sensible way to draw the line. The solution is greater devolution to the regions (or whatever the appropriate level) of the country currently known as England.
Yes, exactly. And of course the power of Scottish MPs was reaffirmed in the referendum.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:SH is basically correct.

The ones in the left-liberal chatterati ululating over Sturgeon/the SNP now are generally the same ones who were swept away by "Cleggmania" five years ago. They have learned nothing.

I don't think Harris is as bad as Williams generally tbf - and he is a better writer - but he has had some awful moments (cherry picking ONE YouGov subsample to "prove" that all young people were selfish Thatcherite hedonists being amongst the most egregious) And you get the feeling any praise for Labour/Ed is through gritted teeth :|
Seem to be quite a few to the left of Labour who are keen on Sturgeon too. Scottish Labour alienated them by electing Murphy.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Unfortunately, the left's propensity for uncompromising self-righteousness, means that in the current version of the world, it will always split and so fail to beat the significantly greater of the various evils on offer.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Nicola Sturgeon ‏@NicolaSturgeon 18 hrs18 hours ago

This, by @zoesqwilliams in @guardian, is very, very perceptive

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... chinations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

pk1 wrote:Indy trying to smear Douglas Alexander over the Nikigate tweets

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 57871.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christ, he deleted tweets? That's it?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015 ... port-warns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
while dave's kissing lambs and niki will do anything to get a "free" scotland, we could be doing something useful about something important.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 57871.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Indeed, and the Guardian, ever reliable are trying to make this a big deal.

The reality I suspect is that his lawyers warned him that the offending tweets could cause a legal issue.

It is unwise just to throw allegations out there in Twitter Land. You can't just repeat them as though they were truth and 140 characters doesn't leave space for legal niceties.

It rather confirms my view of Alexander as a bit of a lightweight.
Release the Guardvarks.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I've just begun looking into who my Labour candidate is, not the guy I spoke to that stood last time but Cheryl Pidgeon. I'm guessing former Midlands TUC Regional Secretary as it doesn't actually say but was surprised that her mobile number is included on her profile on Labour's site. Should I feel the need to contact her I shall use her email address but then I would say that as a past OU tutor. Yeah students had my telephone number but I never gave out my mobile. Even then I'd encourage their use of email to which I could respond as convenient.

Edit: silly me there is always text, the manner in which I mostly use mobiles. Still surprised by her number's inclusion though, I'd hate (unknown) people ringing me whenever on a whim.

... plus a corrected typo in my edit!
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Andrew Spooner ‏@andrewspoooner 10 mins10 minutes ago

A plot involving Tory press, Scotland office & Labour to keep Ed M out of office so Jim Murphy can be Labour leader. Yes, they believe this
If I was a Scot and leaning towards voting SNP, about now I'd be wondering what might happen to my country if I gave some of these crazies a sniff of power.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Crikey I can think of at least 100 Labour folk I'd prefer to Murphy. Indeed, the only one I'd prefer Murphy to is Danczuk. Possibly Abbot as well.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Indeed, and the Guardian, ever reliable are trying to make this a big deal.

The reality I suspect is that his lawyers warned him that the offending tweets could cause a legal issue.

It is unwise just to throw allegations out there in Twitter Land. You can't just repeat them as though they were truth and 140 characters doesn't leave space for legal niceties.

It rather confirms my view of Alexander as a bit of a lightweight.
You've thrown up a rather interesting question, well to my mind anyway. I don't tweet, bad enough I type some of my thoughts straight out on fora (only here and the G). I sometimes make statements as though they were fact when in reality they're merely a joke. It could take offending people to a completely new level.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Following on from my last post, there have indeed been criminal prosecutions following joking posts on social media. I've not heard of similar regarding libelous ones though. Perhaps it is time I used emoticons but using them can ruin the joke.

Time to stop thinking aloud...
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

Post by onebuttonmonkey »

utopiandreams wrote:Following on from my last post, there have indeed been criminal prosecutions following joking posts on social media. I've not heard of similar regarding libelous ones though. Perhaps it is time I used emoticons but using them can ruin the joke.

Time to stop thinking aloud...
The way it tends to work is that rich, important people employ lawyers who then threaten everyone who tweeted with a libel case unless they pay some money upfront to make it go away - after all, if it goes to court it would destroy most people's finances in days. Galloway did this to everyone who retweeted a comment relating to a question asked on BBCQT. It's like what Shapps did on facebook over allegations he had also been Michael Green. Yeah. To be fair, Galloway was being accused of antisemitism. That said, I don't see how his financial cosh was in any way the right response.

There's a lot of things said that shouldn't be and not just on twitter. But this country's libel laws - and their capacity to be used to silence people under threat of financial ruin regardless of the rights or wrongs of the case - are obscene. Because if you are rich enough, they are a weapon that has nothing to do with a trial.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

ohsocynical wrote:Nicola Sturgeon ‏@NicolaSturgeon 18 hrs18 hours ago

This, by @zoesqwilliams in @guardian, is very, very perceptive

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... chinations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
I can't agree I'm afraid. She accuses everyone of taking the Telegraph story at face value because it suits their agenda and then expects us to take her assertion that Labour have already lost all their Scottish seats at face value, because it suits her agenda. Everyone is allowed to spin but Labour. Labour have to be whiter than white as everyone else Machievelli's their way into power. Cameron's allowed to repeat unsubstantiated Midstaffs vase stories without a peep from the press. Miliband responds to a story in a mainstream respected paper, says "if true" etc and he's held up as the epitome of all that is wrong with politics. She's just re-enre-enforcing the same old vote anyone but Labour propaganda of the right wing press to split the left vote.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Austin Flood retweeted
General Election ‏@UKELECTIONS2015 18 mins18 minutes ago
Latest LIVE Electoral Calculus Prediction #GE2015

LAB 286
CON 275
SNP 48
LD 17
PC 3
UKIP 2
GRN 1
NI 18

http://ukgeneralelection2015.blogspot.c ... culus.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Sivier retweeted
David Schneider ‏@davidschneider 1 hr1 hour ago

Re lamb photo opp. Tories confirm Cameron's initial plan to breastfeed the lamb changed at last minute so as not to alienate UKIP voters.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

onebuttonmonkey wrote:... There's a lot of things said that shouldn't be and not just on twitter. But this country's libel laws - and their capacity to be used to silence people under threat of financial ruin regardless of the rights or wrongs of the case - are obscene. Because if you are rich enough, they are a weapon that has nothing to do with a trial.
In the interests of free speech I shall develop an 'Oh I get it' emoticon, one that slowly appears after giving the reader time for it to sink in, a reverse Cheshire cat as it were. So look out all you potentially offended elite, we can say whatever we want.

Btw if I had such an emoticon I would be using it now. Furthermore please don't think I've been sat here pondering such matters, have only just got back in.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Release the Guardvarks.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

ohsocynical wrote:Austin Flood retweeted

LAB 286
CON 275
SNP 48
LD 17
PC 3
UKIP 2
GRN 1
NI 18

http://ukgeneralelection2015.blogspot.c ... culus.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Whenever I see electoral calculus I halve the SNP figure and add it to Labour. I need to keep my morale up.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

LAB 286
CON 275
SNP 48
LD 17
PC 3
UKIP 2
GRN 1
NI 18

So the SNP make some unreasonable demands in exchange for supporting a Labour Queen's speech. Labour say no, the SNP abstain and the Tories and Libdems vote it down. Enter Cameron to save the day, cut the SNP a deal in return for EVEL and Bob's your auntie.....I just hope Sturgeon is as honourable and above the political fray as Zoe Williams seems to think or us English left-wingers are well and truly stuffed if Scotland really does go wholesale SNP. I'm still trying to figure how likely such a clean sweep to the nationalists would be. They have no track record in securing so many seats. Have we seen these kind of size of swings from one party to another before anywhere?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

On the twitter thing and in general you can get away with a reasonable amount with politicians. But stating really controversial stuff as fact is pretty dubious if by doing so you are causing potential harm to somebody.

I also suspect Alexander is getting flak on Twitter from enraged Nats, people now believe what they want to believe so moving the discussion on to policy would be sensible. Leaving those Tweets out there to be re-tweeted really isn't useful.

But really putting them out there wasn't wise. Murphy probably has to use it, Miliband has made one statement, as has Cameron.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Willow904 wrote:

LAB 286
CON 275
SNP 48
LD 17
PC 3
UKIP 2
GRN 1
NI 18

So the SNP make some unreasonable demands in exchange for supporting a Labour Queen's speech. Labour say no, the SNP abstain and the Tories and Libdems vote it down. Enter Cameron to save the day, cut the SNP a deal in return for EVEL and Bob's your auntie.....I just hope Sturgeon is as honourable and above the political fray as Zoe Williams seems to think or us English left-wingers are well and truly stuffed if Scotland really does go wholesale SNP. I'm still trying to figure how likely such a clean sweep to the nationalists would be. They have no track record in securing so many seats. Have we seen these kind of size of swings from one party to another before anywhere?
Let's say Labour 296, Nats 38, Tories 270, Lib Dems 22.

Tory+Nats not enough and Tory+Lib Dem not enough. Tory+Nats+Lib Dem possible but very unstable.

This looks messy, so expect more dodgy dealings from Dave and his mates.
Release the Guardvarks.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

It is difficult to decide who would be lying, Danny Alexander or the Tories.
Why won't he say who the Tory is ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32194785" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Interesting article here from the New Statesman, looking at all the individual info for the Scottish seats. Without Ashcroft polling, the SNP would be predicted about 35-40 seats based on other available info. Add in Ashcroft polling and it pushes the predictions closer to 50 seats. I'm going to bookmark this one and look at it when the results start to come in. It'll be a handy reference to how well the predictions for the SNP are stacking up, on the night.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... nd-and-snp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Willow904 wrote:

LAB 286
CON 275
SNP 48
LD 17
PC 3
UKIP 2
GRN 1
NI 18

The SNP wouldn't have to do a deal with Cameron. Don't they support EVEL (except when affects Barnett)?

If there are only 10 or so Sco Lab MPs, Cameron's in a very strong position anyway.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

1000 years of these ....ers. Am getting seriously sick of it.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Local news has just reported this was flown from a plane over Eastbourne beach this morning

(Sniff sniff) ah yes, the stench of desperation :lol:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (47.32 KiB) Viewed 7076 times
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

yahyah wrote:It is difficult to decide who would be lying, Danny Alexander or the Tories.
Why won't he say who the Tory is ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32194785" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I noted earlier elsewhere that Javid didn't enter the Treasury until 7 months after the budget so wouldn't know if anyone said it or not as he can't have been at the meeting. I guess that's why he was put up to comment since if someone who was there might have to lie outright and then face DA telling everyone who it was.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

LAB 286
CON 275
SNP 48
LD 17
PC 3
UKIP 2
GRN 1
NI 18

The SNP wouldn't have to do a deal with Cameron. Don't they support EVEL (except when affects Barnett)?

If there are only 10 or so Sco Lab MPs, Cameron's in a very strong position anyway.
I thought the SNP had pledged to vote against a Tory Queen's speech. On the figures above that would put Cameron in a very weak position unless he could offer the SNP some kind of a deal in exchange for them abstaining. Something along the lines that would allow the SNP to claim they are abstaining because Scotland has no business getting involved in English & Welsh business any more now they have virtual autonomy or whatever.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I'm watching A Matter of Loaf and Death...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Well I did another of these "who to vote for" things and surprise surprise came out Green again.
Now this is a surprise, as I filled it in giving all Labour policy replies, even those I'm not 100% happy with.
What's going on?

http://www.whogetsmyvoteuk.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ohsocynical wrote:I'm watching A Matter of Loaf and Death...
Cracking film.

I've just found Spooks on Netflix.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Willow904 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Willow904 wrote: So the SNP make some unreasonable demands in exchange for supporting a Labour Queen's speech. Labour say no, the SNP abstain and the Tories and Libdems vote it down. Enter Cameron to save the day, cut the SNP a deal in return for EVEL and Bob's your auntie.....I just hope Sturgeon is as honourable and above the political fray as Zoe Williams seems to think or us English left-wingers are well and truly stuffed if Scotland really does go wholesale SNP. I'm still trying to figure how likely such a clean sweep to the nationalists would be. They have no track record in securing so many seats. Have we seen these kind of size of swings from one party to another before anywhere?

I thought the SNP had pledged to vote against a Tory Queen's speech. On the figures above that would put Cameron in a very weak position unless he could offer the SNP some kind of a deal in exchange for them abstaining. Something along the lines that would allow the SNP to claim they are abstaining because Scotland has no business getting involved in English & Welsh business any more now they have virtual autonomy or whatever.
Cameron can offer them FFA plus a huge bribe in terms of a transitional subsidy that tapers as oil price rises. They will take that deal, whatever they say now.

Which means as Tubby says this election will be won in the marginals in rUK, got to keep that Tory seat count down.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

AngryAsWell wrote:Well I did another of these "who to vote for" things and surprise surprise came out Green again.
Now this is a surprise, as I filled it in giving all Labour policy replies, even those I'm not 100% happy with.
What's going on?

Who funds them, I am guessing a Tory affiliate.
Release the Guardvarks.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

And before I forget: Happy Birthday Yahyah (and Mr. Riots).
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Well I did another of these "who to vote for" things and surprise surprise came out Green again.
What's going on?

Who funds them, I am guessing a Tory affiliate.
It's registered to a group called eDemocracy, based out of Switzerland.

http://www.edemocracycentre.ch/inner.ph ... rent_id=31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;