Tuesday 7th April 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Re: Tuesday 7th April 2015

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

SpinningHugo wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/f ... eferendums

Counting arrangements (preliminary). Now I need to work out when the perfect time for a couple of hours kip is without missing notable Portillos.
Are there many Tory Portillos that are plausible? (I now Portillo was not plausible beforehand).

Plenty of Lib Dem ones, I know. Danny Alexander is definitely gone. Clegg will probably, just keep his seat, but is a possible loss. Cable looks very likely to hold on. Plenty of minor fish will go.

Which prominent Tories are there in marginals? The ones I know are all non-entities.

Labour will lose most of its Scottish seats, but Douglas Alexander looks like holding, just, I think. The SNP put up a feeble candidate, luckily.
Nicky Morgan is a possibility.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

SpinningHugo wrote:

Counting arrangements (preliminary). Now I need to work out when the perfect time for a couple of hours kip is without missing notable Portillos.
Are there many Tory Portillos that are plausible? (I now Portillo was not plausible beforehand).

Plenty of Lib Dem ones, I know. Danny Alexander is definitely gone. Clegg will probably, just keep his seat, but is a possible loss. Cable looks very likely to hold on. Plenty of minor fish will go.

Which prominent Tories are there in marginals? The ones I know are all non-entities.

Labour will lose most of its Scottish seats, but Douglas Alexander looks like holding, just, I think. The SNP put up a feeble candidate, luckily.
Anna Soubry - the one who definitely didn't shout 'sanctimonious c**t' at EM during PMQs.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ferretbot retweeted
Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 7 hrs7 hours ago

LAB retains 2% lead in today's Populus poll

Lab 33 (-1),
Con 31 (-1),
UKIP 15 (-),
LD 10 (+1),
Greens 4 (-1)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Though compared to '97, where some genuine big beasts fell like a pack of cards, most of the current crop, like SH wrote are nonentities.

A lot had political careers stretching to 30/40 years, this lot could only dream of such longevity.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

There's going to be a lot riding on getting the vote out. Am I correct in thinking that Labour has a better organisation for this than the others?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

frightful_oik wrote:There's going to be a lot riding on getting the vote out. Am I correct in thinking that Labour has a better organisation for this than the others?
Seem to have more feet on the ground, a lot will depend on how effective the Tory blitz, if there is one, is, undoubtedly the marginal seats will be flooded with cash, and bussed in supporters the final two weeks, again, depends on how effective that will be.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Soubry is bound to go, but I don't think she is high profile.

What about Charlotte Leslie?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Leslie, unfortunately seems reasonably safe.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

frightful_oik wrote:There's going to be a lot riding on getting the vote out. Am I correct in thinking that Labour has a better organisation for this than the others?
Factored in as this is a factor that remains constant (unless we think Labour's organisation is better significantly than in 2010?)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I think the Tories have the better record for getting their vote out. Mind you, that used to be in the days when they had a large number of volunteers...Don't know what it's like now.

And a lot depends on the weather. A nice sunny day will help Labour.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Oh God. There's so many ifs....
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I was looking back at the polls for the last election and the post debate surge in Libdem support didn't really translate into actual votes come polling day. I don't know if that tells us anything useful this time around, though. The Tory polls were over optimistic as they were for the Euro elections last year. I have wondered if this is because the Tory ability to get their vote out is much reduced from the historical expectations the polls are based on. They used to have very active campaigners who would give lifts to the elderly etc back in the 80s but I think that's very much died out in recent years. I suspect the few Tory volunteers left are pretty elderly themselves these days!
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Esther Mcvey will go, again not a true heavy weight but one that will give Portillo-like satisfaction when she falls

Labour Target Seats - just look at how small a majority to over turn some of theses are.
http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/labourtargets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Has anyone much in Labour suggested voting Tory to keep out the SNP, as I keep hearing?

Or is it Labour appealing to unionists to support them to keep rabid nationalists out?
Quite the opposite
LABOUR last night urged its supporters to reject a new grassroots campaign set up to combat the rise of the SNP by providing advice on tactical voting.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3705209
Gee, look at that Angus Robertson clown.

They wonder why Labour steamed in v Sturgeon.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Nick Clegg mocks Michael Gove's 'absurd' behaviour as education secretary

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 60328.html
I'd say Clegg's doing a good job for the Labour Party.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

RobertSnozers wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
danesclose wrote:Afternoon all.
An interesting if scary piece about the reasons behind the Tory attacks on the SNP.
I wasn't aware that Parliament wasn't reconvening until May 18th!

https://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdo ... 2Q.twitter
"Interesting" is a way of describing it, I suppose. I basically saw it as an extended whine that Ed isn't bowing at Nicola's feet and touching the hem of her garment :roll: :lol:
Can't say I was convinced, either. As far as I can see the media has been focussed on the largest party as 'winner' since before 2010, so recent anti-SNP coverage isn't a paradigm shift. And the rightwing press wants to turn everyone against the SNP because it's most likely the condition for a Labour-led government.

The fact remains that the more seats the SNP takes off Labour, the more likely it will be that we get a Tory-led government.

Personally, I don't have a big problem with the delay in parliament sitting. I am suspicious of Cameron's reasons, but I'd rather have a couple of weeks of coalition talks than a few days. One of the big problems with this government was that everyone was bounced into the agreement too quickly. The fact remains that the sitting PM gets to decide what happens next if the outcome isn't clear. Brown acted honourably in that position - until we can change the constitution, we just have to hope Cameron will do the same.
Relying on David 'Vote for me or it's the end of civilisation' Cameron acting honourably? Well that's me depressed.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

SpinningHugo wrote:

Jacob Rees-Mogg is holding on by the skin of his teeth.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RobertSnozers wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
danesclose wrote:Afternoon all.
An interesting if scary piece about the reasons behind the Tory attacks on the SNP.
I wasn't aware that Parliament wasn't reconvening until May 18th!

https://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdo ... 2Q.twitter
"Interesting" is a way of describing it, I suppose. I basically saw it as an extended whine that Ed isn't bowing at Nicola's feet and touching the hem of her garment :roll: :lol:
Can't say I was convinced, either. As far as I can see the media has been focussed on the largest party as 'winner' since before 2010, so recent anti-SNP coverage isn't a paradigm shift. And the rightwing press wants to turn everyone against the SNP because it's most likely the condition for a Labour-led government.

The fact remains that the more seats the SNP takes off Labour, the more likely it will be that we get a Tory-led government.

Personally, I don't have a big problem with the delay in parliament sitting. I am suspicious of Cameron's reasons, but I'd rather have a couple of weeks of coalition talks than a few days. One of the big problems with this government was that everyone was bounced into the agreement too quickly. The fact remains that the sitting PM gets to decide what happens next if the outcome isn't clear. Brown acted honourably in that position - until we can change the constitution, we just have to hope Cameron will do the same.
My bold.
But we have a very deep suspicion, and so I suspect do Labour, that he won't.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Does anyone know how you can watch tonight's Scottish leaders debate?

Well, I have nothing else to do, washed my hair, at a loose end.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Peter Dilworth retweeted
stephen jones ‏@bassmadman 8 hrs8 hours ago Breamore, England

Cameron - had a car from Motability, the nanny was still driving it a month after Ivan died. Now 1 in 3 stand to lose theirs #InvokingIvan"
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

I'm bloody sure he won't act honourably. It'll be like the desperation of Heath in '74. Could be riots if he takes the piss too much though. If he can't survive a vote of confidence and EM can, then either he's toast or there's trouble.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Does anyone know how you can watch tonight's Scottish leaders debate?

On the web according to a post on UKPR. STV site I believe.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

I arrived home tonight to find my first election leaflet. It was UKIP and from a group called the UKIP Youth (must resist...overwhelming...temptation to...Godwin). Nothing on the candidate, it simply listed 15 policies covering a variety of areas. Strangely most of them start with the words "Leaving the EU will...", "Funded by exiting Europe..." regardless of the subject.

Oh and their Environment policy was "Scrap existing environment laws that are costing us £18bn a year".

So essentially leave Europe and scrap all environmental laws and we'll become the land of milk and smog and honey.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

frightful_oik wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Does anyone know how you can watch tonight's Scottish leaders debate?

On the web according to a post on UKPR. STV site I believe.
http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/316 ... rs-debate/
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

frightful_oik wrote:I'm bloody sure he won't act honourably. It'll be like the desperation of Heath in '74. Could be riots if he takes the piss too much though. If he can't survive a vote of confidence and EM can, then either he's toast or there's trouble.
Not sure Heath acted badly. Same as Gordo, wasn't it?

Labour had moved a lot to the left before that election. The Liberals were much closer to the Tories.

Not that any aspect is decisive in itself, but he had 200,000 more votes that Labour and only 4 seats less.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

just popped in to add another three items to my birthday wishlist, and found I have another (thanks to ohso). List so far is:

a rogue list
a hippo birdy
a flicking the vs icon
a showing off icon
a hard bound volume of "FTN's greatest edits"

and now, courtesy of ohso:

a ferretbot
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

ohsocynical wrote:Peter Dilworth retweeted

Cameron - had a car from Motability, the nanny was still driving it a month after Ivan died. Now 1 in 3 stand to lose theirs #InvokingIvan"
Do we have evidence of that ?

I'd hate to despise him even more than I already do, based purely on a falsehood.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Was trying to post two photos on Twitter of Dave's rally that was held in a gigantic cowshed in Cornwell. Couldn't even get a url working today :(

The bus was driven straight into the cowshed. Avoiding meeting the public?

One photo showed a big crowd all enthusiastically waving banners. The other, a longer shot showed a small crowd [of what looked like mainly newsmen] that didn't even take up a quarter of the shed.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

ohsocynical wrote:Was trying to post two photos on Twitter of Dave's rally that was held in a gigantic cowshed in Cornwell. Couldn't even get a url working today :(

One photo showed a big crowd all enthusiastically waving banners. The other, a longer shot showed a small crowd [of what looked like mainly newsmen] that didn't even take up a quarter of the shed.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

7.30pm tonight on ITV
The first of five films painting intimate portraits of the party leaders in the run up to the election. Tom Bradby spends time at Number 10 with David Cameron and his family.
also at 9pm on BBC News channel is a Newsbeat programme where 100 young people aged 18-24 are discussing their views of politicians.
Last edited by pk1 on Tue 07 Apr, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

ohsocynical wrote:Was trying to post two photos on Twitter of Dave's rally that was held in a gigantic cowshed in Cornwell. Couldn't even get a url working today :(

EmptyDave in an empty shed...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

diGriz wrote:

such an inspiration.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:I'm bloody sure he won't act honourably. It'll be like the desperation of Heath in '74. Could be riots if he takes the piss too much though. If he can't survive a vote of confidence and EM can, then either he's toast or there's trouble.
Not sure Heath acted badly. Same as Gordo, wasn't it?

Labour had moved a lot to the left before that election. The Liberals were much closer to the Tories.

Not that any aspect is decisive in itself, but he had 200,000 more votes that Labour and only 4 seats less.
Don't think Gordo really tried to form a coalition. Here's Wiki's account of 1974:
Heath did not resign immediately as Prime Minister. Assuming that Northern Ireland's Unionist MPs could be persuaded to support a Conservative government on confidence matters over one led by Wilson, he entered into negotiations with Thorpe to form a coalition government. Thorpe, never enthusiastic about supporting the Conservatives, demanded major electoral reforms in exchange for such an agreement. Unwilling to accept such terms, Heath resigned and Wilson returned for his second spell as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
I just remember him hanging around for days on end like a bad smell.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Gordo didn't really have anyone to form a coalition with. Clegg had already gone to Cameron.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

pk1 wrote:7.30pm tonight on ITV
The first of five films painting intimate portraits of the party leaders in the run up to the election. Tom Bradby spends time at Number 10 with David Cameron and his family.
also at 9pm on BBC News channel is a Newsbeat programme where 100 young people aged 18-24 are discussing their views of politicians.
I'm tempted to watch that.

BTW - and to ensure maximum exposure to OBM - I can tell you that he done good on ITV yesterday with a fairly spirited and lively (and of course intelligent) showing. Assuming OBM gives permission, I'll post the the URL to the show in question. OBM - can you let me know yea or nay? Thanks, Ernst.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

pk1 wrote:

I'd hate to despise him even more than I already do, based purely on a falsehood.
https://sparaszczukster.wordpress.com/tag/motability/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it's pretty much correct. Ivan was eligible. Dave even claimed the four free nappies a day...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ErnstRemarx wrote:

BTW - and to ensure maximum exposure to OBM - I can tell you that he done good on ITV yesterday with a fairly spirited and lively (and of course intelligent) showing. Assuming OBM gives permission, I'll post the the URL to the show in question. OBM - can you let me know yea or nay? Thanks, Ernst.

Hello, my duck.

Yes I'd like to see the onebuttonmonkey video, too. I meant to hunt it down to watch on TV.

Edited to de-capitalise
Last edited by PorFavor on Tue 07 Apr, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

If we get either Rees-Mogg or Morgan we'll be doing well.

I hope, but don't expect.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

ohsocynical wrote:
pk1 wrote:

https://sparaszczukster.wordpress.com/tag/motability/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it's pretty much correct. Ivan was eligible. Dave even claimed the four free nappies a day...
I know Ivan was eligible & tbh, he shouldn't be knocked for that but notice how on that link, the 2nd paragraph says:
Rumour has it that after Ivan’s death our Eton educated super rich Prime Minister wasn’t in too much of a hurry to give back the Motability car so someone else in need could benefit from it but had to be chased repeatedly before finally handing it over to its rightful owner.
I thought we fought with facts, not rumours but maybe that's just me ;)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Well, gilsey hasn't put in an appearance yet.

So I'll say happy birthday anyway, just in case.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PorFavor wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:

Hello, my duck.

Yes I'd like to see the onebuttonmonkey video, too. I meant to hunt it down to watch on TV.
Here it is:

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/o-brien" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OBM was telling us all he was on today's show so surely he would have no objection to us seeing him. I just hope it's not as screechy as the two episodes I watched last week *shudder*
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
pk1 wrote: Do we have evidence of that ?

I know Ivan was eligible & tbh, he shouldn't be knocked for that but notice how on that link, the 2nd paragraph says:
Rumour has it that after Ivan’s death our Eton educated super rich Prime Minister wasn’t in too much of a hurry to give back the Motability car so someone else in need could benefit from it but had to be chased repeatedly before finally handing it over to its rightful owner.
I thought we fought with facts, not rumours but maybe that's just me ;)

No - it's not just you. Thanks for the quote.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PorFavor wrote:
No - it's not just you. Thanks for the quote.
Thanks. I hate when we accuse others of lying about Labour MPs/policies/statements/benefits etc but feel no such need to establish facts before chucking allegations about Tories :(

I despise Cameron for bringing Ivan's illness & subsequent death into speeches/debates on the NHS etc because I feel he is using Ivan's memory to gain sympathy & as a blanket to protect him from being forced to answer difficult questions.

If we are going to lob unsubstantiated allegations at him over Ivan, we are no better than Cameron is.
Last edited by pk1 on Tue 07 Apr, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

pk1 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: I'm tempted to watch that.

Hello, my duck.

Here it is:

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/o-brien" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OBM was telling us all he was on today's show so surely he would have no objection to us seeing him. I just hope it's not as screechy as the two episodes I watched last week *shudder*
Was he? I didn't realise - haven't read all of the weekend's marathon - so I figured I'd better ask first. Still, if he publicised it then I suppose he won't mind too much.

Here's the full link:

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/o-brien/s ... /episode-7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Well it took Blair to make it happen - but Nick Robinson says good stuff about Ed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32210854
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Hah. This link works...Dave's audience in Cornwall.

https://twitter.com/skynewsniall/status ... lang=en-gb
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

ohsocynical wrote:Hah. This link works...Dave's audience in Cornwall.

https://twitter.com/skynewsniall/status ... lang=en-gb
:lol: :lol:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RobertSnozers wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:If we get either Rees-Mogg or Morgan we'll be doing well.

I hope, but don't expect.
Oh please, let Rees-Mogg lose.

The problem is, that sort never lose. He wouldn't suffer as a result, apart from perhaps a tiny, impermanent dent in his vast pride. But it would make me feel a hell of a lot better.
Rees-Mogg has a 2.2% projected lead down from 9.6% in 2010.
Projected vote share as of 7 April 2015:
Tory 36.7%
Labour 34.5%

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi- ... rth%20East" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Labour candidate has made his home, family & work in the Somerset North East constituency he's contesting.
http://www.todd4nesomerset.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I've not paid the news much attention today but good on Channel 4 News for the paedophile ring/cover up; I'm not sure what exposure there may have been elsewhere. Albeit not as serious, wrongdoing nonetheless, my fears are that like the Levenson Inquiry much would be left untouched because of any pending prosecutions that may follow. I wonder if May shall still leave Kincora out of it or are things going to drift until after the election? 'And having raised Levenson, let's not forget that Cameron was going to implement his recommendations should they not be bonkers.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.