Tuesday 7th April 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Re: Tuesday 7th April 2015

Post by pk1 »

Happy birthday Gilsey :)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Speaking after his Game of Thrones tour in Belfast’s Titanic Quarter David Cameron said:
I think I shall go down very well on May 7th.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Farage was asked about figures indicating Ukip has lost a quarter of its support while he was touring a garage in Cannock. (Guardian Election Blog)
Blimey. That's going some. What did he say while he was in this garage in Cannock?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

pk1 wrote:Has Cameron ever shared a stage to give a speech with John Major ?
Dave longs for John Major's stature. John Major is ridiculous. Dave strives for ridiculous.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Happy Birthday to Gilsey :D
Hope you have a super day and lots of cake!
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Grrrrr, this false information really grinds my gears.

The A&E target set by Labour in 2004 was 98%, not 95 ! It was this govt that reduced the target & still they can't hit it !!

I tweeted Mr Sparrow but needn't have bothered since he still hasn't rectified his 'mistake'

At least the BBC has the correct info.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (28.85 KiB) Viewed 6048 times
Untitled1.png
Untitled1.png (210.09 KiB) Viewed 6048 times
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Happy birthday Gilsey :)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Many happy returns Gilsey...Hope the sun is shining for you.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I tweeted Mr Sparrow but needn't have bothered since he still hasn't rectified his 'mistake'
I don't think AS is blogging today (not till later)
I tweeted some else yesterday about the "top rate tax on £15,000" instead of 150,000 and he fixed it (different person again today tho)

Found it!
"I’m Esther Addley and I’ll be kicking off proceedings this morning, handing over to Mark Smith for a brief morning stint, who will hand the baton to Andrew Sparrow. Do feel free to contact me by email esther.addley@theguardian.com or tweet me @estheraddley, and I’ll be reading your comments below the line too."

So it might be AS back now....
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

David Cameron, in an interview just aired on BBC News 24, sounded querulous rather than "Prime Ministerial". It's interesting to hear how his voice (which was never appealing) has changed during the course of the campaign.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Afternoon all.
An interesting if scary piece about the reasons behind the Tory attacks on the SNP.
I wasn't aware that Parliament wasn't reconvening until May 18th!

https://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdo ... 2Q.twitter
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Ed Miliband wraps up with a little dig at Nick Clegg. He says there’s two ways of approaching an election campaign. One involves making “all kinds of promises to people and let’s see if we can make them in government and I hope people don’t catch up with me in government when I break those promises”. He pauses, then smiles and wiggles his fingers as he adds: “Not to be rude, it’s the Nick Clegg school of political leadership.” The session is now over.

From the BBC.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

danesclose wrote:Afternoon all.
An interesting if scary piece about the reasons behind the Tory attacks on the SNP.

"Interesting" is a way of describing it, I suppose. I basically saw it as an extended whine that Ed isn't bowing at Nicola's feet and touching the hem of her garment :roll: :lol:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

"Interesting" is a way of describing it, I suppose. I basically saw it as an extended whine that Ed isn't bowing at Nicola's feet and touching the hem of her garment :roll: :lol:
Given Labour will be getting 45ish seats and the SNP 290ish, Miliband should be grateful to be considered to be included at any level in the next government. Oh, hang on.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I don't want to see pictures of Cameron learning how to roll scotch eggs. I also don't want to see pictures of him getting 'pie lessons' from apprentices in Brains brewery. And I definitely don't want to hear him quip that he's worried about his crust sagging.
Working on the wild side.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

...as you would expect from a 'yesser' :lol:

http://nationalcollective.com/2012/12/0 ... ependence/
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

"Remember the relief we felt when Scotland voted no. Why was that? Because towards the end, having paid only intermittent attention to the enormity of the decision, we awoke to it and realised – I think with shock – how close we had come to relegating ourselves from the Premier League of nations. Now think if the vote had gone the other way. It doesn't bear thinking of. It would be exactly the same with a vote on Europe. We're frankly not much focused on it now. But that is the same semi-conscious torpor that almost led us to disaster in keeping the UK together. And if we think that having the vote will resolve the issue, think again about Scotland now."

Most able politician of the age.

(And that is nothing to do with whether you agree with him, or think the Iraq war unlawful - as I do.)
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

StephenDolan wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Given Labour will be getting 45ish seats and the SNP 290ish, Miliband should be grateful to be considered to be included at any level in the next government. Oh, hang on.
Agree with you both about the last couple of paragraphs. I'm more concerned about the 11 day hiatus between the election & Parliament reconvening, and the redefinition of election "winner" in the press
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

From the linked article above -
Many if not most polls recently have, when translated through Britain’s absurd election system, shown roughly the same result: the Tories will have slightly more votes and seats than Labour...
Generally speaking, due to the weighting & other editorialising of polling data coming out these days, I'm reluctant to pin my hopes & fears on polls coming out fast & furious these days.
I've not seen anything credible indicating the Tory party will have the most seats of any party after May 2015.
Have I missed something significant I should know?
Though I'm sceptical about polling data, the website below is generally conceded to be reputable.
Please don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong, it's best I know the truth.
From Electoral Calculus:
Labour 286
Tory 275

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

Post by onebuttonmonkey »

SpinningHugo wrote:"Remember the relief we felt when Scotland voted no. Why was that? Because towards the end, having paid only intermittent attention to the enormity of the decision, we awoke to it and realised – I think with shock – how close we had come to relegating ourselves from the Premier League of nations. Now think if the vote had gone the other way. It doesn't bear thinking of. It would be exactly the same with a vote on Europe. We're frankly not much focused on it now. But that is the same semi-conscious torpor that almost led us to disaster in keeping the UK together. And if we think that having the vote will resolve the issue, think again about Scotland now."

(And that is nothing to do with whether you agree with him, or think the Iraq war unlawful - as I do.)
Oh, he's certainly able. One of the things I liked about his speech today was that he was advancing a genuine and non-populist argument rather than just a narrative. It's just rather a shame that the politican who did the most to make it impossible to conduct politics in that style is a certain Mr. Anthony Charles Lynton Blair.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

SpinningHugo wrote:"Remember the relief we felt when Scotland voted no. Why was that? Because towards the end, having paid only intermittent attention to the enormity of the decision, we awoke to it and realised – I think with shock – how close we had come to relegating ourselves from the Premier League of nations. Now think if the vote had gone the other way. It doesn't bear thinking of. It would be exactly the same with a vote on Europe. We're frankly not much focused on it now. But that is the same semi-conscious torpor that almost led us to disaster in keeping the UK together. And if we think that having the vote will resolve the issue, think again about Scotland now."

It's a very good paragraph from Blair. Made me start to imagine what the 'We're Better Off Out of Europe' campaign in the lead up to the referendum could be like .... ghastly thought. Full of hyperbole and fantastically idealistic scenarios of a post Europe wonder nation ... and that's without all the nasty send em home, there's too many of em stuff that will be chucked at us in buckets.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

RobertSnozers wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

An incredibly able politician. But that's all he is.
If he was that good the muppet wouldn't have invaded Iraq. It was the wrong thing to do politically, even if Blair's reason for doing it was admirable (naive but admirable).
Release the Guardvarks.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

It's a very good paragraph from Blair. Made me start to imagine what the 'We're Better Off Out of Europe' campaign in the lead up to the referendum could be like .... ghastly thought. Full of hyperbole and fantastically idealistic scenarios of a post Europe wonder nation ... and that's without all the nasty send em home, there's too many of em stuff that will be chucked at us in buckets.
Which means that even if the "right" side wins the referendum, it will be by a far from decisive margin (such as, purely for example of course, 55-45)

Followed in due course by a beaming Farage declaring his side was the "real winner" and would have won if only "proper British" people had voted.......

This stuff writes itself, doesn't it :roll:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 54s54 seconds ago
SamCam sips some Brains Stout: "normally just drink this when I'm pregnant." PM: "That's not an announcement by the way!" #howrumoursstart
I don't want to know. Please stop. Please stop printing stuff like this.

I'm going to have to spend the next 4 weeks with ear plugs in and blinkers on my eyes to avoid this revolting schmoozewaffle. And make sure I've got bulk supplies of sick bags in.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

In fact the Labour party are well aware of all the tricks the Cons are likely to try...They've been checking out procedures and the law for all eventualities.

There was a piece about it a couple or more weeks ago. The Independent I think. I did post the link but can't be sure when.
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

I just had a strange thought. It was, "can you imagine what it would be like if Blair had used his political powers for good?"

I've not got an answer to that question. The cognitive dissonance made my brain shut down...
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

It was the wrong thing to do politically, even if Blair's reason for doing it was admirable
With all due respect, no one knows what his reason was. We can all only guess...until Chilcott reveals all.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

onebuttonmonkey wrote:I just had a strange thought. It was, "can you imagine what it would be like if Blair had used his political powers for good?"

I've not got an answer to that question. The cognitive dissonance made my brain shut down...
Personally I'm no fan of the man, but I suspect if you asked the people of Sierra Leone and Northern Ireland some might be able to answer that question. ;)
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
onebuttonmonkey wrote:I just had a strange thought. It was, "can you imagine what it would be like if Blair had used his political powers for good?"

Personally I'm no fan of the man, but I suspect if you asked the people of Sierra Leone and Northern Ireland some might be able to answer that question. ;)
Not to forget Kosovo, where Tonibler is a popular boys name.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

I don't think we should be opening old wounds right now.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 54s54 seconds ago
SamCam sips some Brains Stout: "normally just drink this when I'm pregnant." PM: "That's not an announcement by the way!" #howrumoursstart
I don't want to know. Please stop. Please stop printing stuff like this.

I'm going to have to spend the next 4 weeks with ear plugs in and blinkers on my eyes to avoid this revolting schmoozewaffle. And make sure I've got bulk supplies of sick bags in.
I hope Sam doesn't take a leaf out of Cherie's book, rebecca. Now that would really be too much to bear.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

At last, an editorial I agree with from the Guardian, it puts Plaid Cymru and nationalism in Wales back in it's box, refreshing after all the ballerks sprouted during the Scottish indy vote.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... er-country" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd recommend reading ''mizzentop's'' post too, not a poster I usually have much time for.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

From AS Blog : Labour’s Alan Johnson has written in the New Statesman that the Tories and Ukip are preparing to work together and imagines the results of this: an increased rate of public sector cuts, further privatisation of the NHS, as well as tax breaks for those at the top.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... k-together" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/f ... eferendums" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Counting arrangements (preliminary). Now I need to work out when the perfect time for a couple of hours kip is without missing notable Portillos.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I don't know if this is of any interest for later - someone may like to tuck it away for reference:
The Electoral Commission has today published a spreadsheet with the count arrangements for the 2015 General Election. It includes information from (Acting) Returning Officers about when they plan to start their count to help meet the high level of interest there will be from voters, candidates and the media about when they can expect the result for their Parliamentary constituency to be declared. Not all AROs have submitted their count arrangements - but the spreadsheet will be updated every week. (Guardian Election Blog at 16.22)
I'm afraid I can't make the link "live". A visit to the Guardian's site will be necessary for that.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

StephenDolan wrote:http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/f ... eferendums

Counting arrangements (preliminary). Now I need to work out when the perfect time for a couple of hours kip is without missing notable Portillos.
Whoops - snap!
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

I saw a tweet yesterday that gave a rough guide to declarations, of course Sunderland South was first.

Admit, not looking forward to the night, too many if's buts and maybe's, but I won't be working on the day or the following, so I will be there till the grim death.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Can you define what you mean by good?

I hated that he dabbled with the private sector. I hated that he went to war...So much so that I went LibDem God help me, but I didn't/dont hate a lot of the other socially responsible things he did.

He might not have gone as far as many hoped for, but my goodness life was a lot better under him after Thatcher and Major.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:

I saw a tweet yesterday that gave a rough guide to declarations, of course Sunderland South was first.

Admit, not looking forward to the night, too many if's buts and maybe's, but I won't be working on the day or the following, so I will be there till the grim death.
At the moment the feeling I have about election night is fascinated dread.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

The revelations about the plans for the top rate of tax - Tory style

[youtube]xsE9FwK7vT0[/youtube]
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

ohsocynical wrote:

I hated that he dabbled with the private sector. I hated that he went to war...So much so that I went LibDem God help me, but I didn't/dont hate a lot of the other socially responsible things he did.

He might not have gone as far as many hoped for, but my goodness life was a lot better under him after Thatcher and Major.
It's probably best I retract the question - old wounds and all that. I'll happily talk about it after the election if people are interested. If I say anymore now, it'll just start a row about Labour's past, and it appears elections aren't a good time for that.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:

True - but he could have done so much more with that sized majority, which is what made it feel like a waste of opportunity and rather a betrayal. He behaved like the mitigating good fairies in The Sleeping Beauty rather than the clean sweep for which so many were hoping and so many were, I believe, ready to accept. I hope we can get back to that moment.

Edited to remove a "rather" and add a "so many"

Edited

Can I have another go? Removal of "though," I'll stop now - I'm annoying myself.

Edited
Just spotted a howler. And no, I don't want to talk about it.
Last edited by PorFavor on Tue 07 Apr, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

ohsocynical wrote:

It's probably best I retract the question - old wounds and strong feelings and all that - let's just say I couldn't disagree more about his legacy. I'll happily talk about it after the election if people are interested. But if I say anymore now, it'll just start a row about Labour's past, and it appears elections aren't a good time for that.

EDIT - not sure why this has doubleposted - please feel free to delete it.
Last edited by onebuttonmonkey on Tue 07 Apr, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

My friends here have been considerate toward me & my opinions.
Thank you.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

No fan of Blair, mainly, as others here have touched on is that he had the chance to do so much more.

But FFS, he gave a good speech on Europe today, something that needed saying, namely the chaos a Euro referendum would bring, and what does the Guardian do, ask the opinions of a Scottish nationalist, a Tory house flogger, UKIP loon, and I mean a loon, a man not so long ago ridiculed for busting eardrums by singing ''UKIP calypso'' and an anti Iraq war campaigner.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... t-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheap, but not surprising.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Has anyone much in Labour suggested voting Tory to keep out the SNP, as I keep hearing?

Or is it Labour appealing to unionists to support them to keep rabid nationalists out?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

I mean, I wouldn't ask Mike Read his opinion on what socks I should wear.

And as Kirsty Allsopp, calling him a ''patronising tosser'' this, from a woman who no doubt thinks Boris Johnson is a spiffing mayor for London.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Has anyone much in Labour suggested voting Tory to keep out the SNP, as I keep hearing?

Or is it Labour appealing to unionists to support them to keep rabid nationalists out?
Quite the opposite
LABOUR last night urged its supporters to reject a new grassroots campaign set up to combat the rise of the SNP by providing advice on tactical voting.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3705209
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Has anyone much in Labour suggested voting Tory to keep out the SNP, as I keep hearing?

Every Labour party person I know has encouraged people to vote Labour.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Are there many Tory Portillos that are plausible? (I now Portillo was not plausible beforehand).

Plenty of Lib Dem ones, I know. Danny Alexander is definitely gone. Clegg will probably, just keep his seat, but is a possible loss. Cable looks very likely to hold on. Plenty of minor fish will go.

Which prominent Tories are there in marginals? The ones I know are all non-entities.

Labour will lose most of its Scottish seats, but Douglas Alexander looks like holding, just, I think. The SNP put up a feeble candidate, luckily.