Tuesday 7th April 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

Re: Tuesday 7th April 2015

Post by onebuttonmonkey »

pk1 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: I'm tempted to watch that.

BTW - and to ensure maximum exposure to OBM - I can tell you that he done good on ITV yesterday with a fairly spirited and lively (and of course intelligent) showing. Assuming OBM gives permission, I'll post the the URL to the show in question. OBM - can you let me know yea or nay? Thanks, Ernst.
Hello, my duck.

Yes I'd like to see the onebuttonmonkey video, too. I meant to hunt it down to watch on TV.
Here it is:

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/o-brien" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OBM was telling us all he was on today's show so surely he would have no objection to us seeing him. I just hope it's not as screechy as the two episodes I watched last week *shudder*
Hello all. Of course you're welcome to watch the show! It was a very strange and not unamusing day. And yes, it's quite heated aain. The thing that upsets me is I sound far more like bloody Will Self than I ever thought I did. *shudder*
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

There is another Scotland debate at 9pm tomorrow on the Parliament Channel.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

onebuttonmonkey wrote:
pk1 wrote:
PorFavor wrote: Hello, my duck.

Yes I'd like to see the onebuttonmonkey video, too. I meant to hunt it down to watch on TV.
Here it is:

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/o-brien" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OBM was telling us all he was on today's show so surely he would have no objection to us seeing him. I just hope it's not as screechy as the two episodes I watched last week *shudder*
Hello all. Of course you're welcome to watch the show! It was a very strange and not unamusing day. And yes, it's quite heated aain. The thing that upsets me is I sound far more like bloody Will Self than I ever thought I did. *shudder*
No bad thing - I like Will Self. You came across as articulate and thoughtful, which is a bit more than you could say for various audience members (insert emoticon of people being bludgeoned to death for the sake of the DNA pool).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Gove on C4 News talking about Islamic extremism and he was reminded by Jon Snow about his book after 7/7...that's the one with the chapter called Trojan Horse...I'm pretty sure that was no coincidence given that we still don't know who wrote that letter.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

ErnstRemarx wrote:
onebuttonmonkey wrote:
pk1 wrote: Here it is:

No bad thing - I like Will Self. You came across as articulate and thoughtful, which is a bit more than you could say for various audience members (insert emoticon of people being bludgeoned to death for the sake of the DNA pool).
There wasn't a shortage of crazy in the studio, was there? And they edited out the demented Enoch Powell fan who appeared to love the country so much it rendered him incoherent. Anyway, you're too kind. It's very odd to see yourself on telly. Very odd...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
goodnight, PF
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

More than 100 top doctors attack government record on NHS

http://gu.com/p/47ajt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

' “As medical and public health professionals our primary concern is for all patients. We invite voters to consider carefully how the NHS has fared over the last five years, and to use their vote to ensure that the NHS in England is reinstated, '

:clap: :clap: :clap:
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

It's very odd to see yourself on telly. Very odd...
Indeed - there's some vid footage of me in council speechifying to the assembled horde, and what I thought was a sage and witty delivery of killer points and acute and pointed humour looks in retrospect like a very poor actor struggling with an even worse script (as well as having a very annoying right eyebrow tic).
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

No mention of the doctors, but clips of Farage eating and the Cameron's prepping pies.

Who needs policy discussion?
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

ohsocynical wrote:Hah. This link works...Dave's audience in Cornwall.

https://twitter.com/skynewsniall/status ... lang=en-gb
Some scenes from Wag The Dog spring to mind.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:I'm bloody sure he won't act honourably. It'll be like the desperation of Heath in '74. Could be riots if he takes the piss too much though. If he can't survive a vote of confidence and EM can, then either he's toast or there's trouble.
Not sure Heath acted badly. Same as Gordo, wasn't it?

Labour had moved a lot to the left before that election. The Liberals were much closer to the Tories.

Not that any aspect is decisive in itself, but he had 200,000 more votes that Labour and only 4 seats less.
I'll try again, something went awry while I popped into another tab. Anyway 1974, Tubby, that was the year of the three day week. I wasn't particularly political in those days, idealistic with sympathies for the Ecology Party (was it?) but considered them too radical. As for Labour my impressions were largely guided by Derek Hatton who would often visit the Student's Union and never ever shut up. Student Politics? No thanks far too wishy washy, although apartheid and nukes were still an issue. (Very nearly let something else drop but wouldn't want anyone to be identified after a recent comment in the G).

Anyway Libs closer to Tories, maybe but I think the Tories were closer to Liberals in those days. We are talking pre-Maggie after all. Nevertheless you can sort of understand why she felt the unions needed rowing back after what Heath had gone through, not to mention the Winter of Discontent. Pity is she never knew when to stop, apart from other failings of course.

Having mentioned unions and not wishing to encourage Tory shills to shout their nonsense about their influence over the Labour Party, just remember how Miliband has stood up to them too whereas Cameron and Osborne continually bend over to satisfy their paymasters and chums.

Edit: removed repeated word. Sorry folks I keep promising to proof read and haven't even gone beyond my first mistake this time.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

ohsocynical wrote:Was trying to post two photos on Twitter of Dave's rally that was held in a gigantic cowshed in Cornwell. Couldn't even get a url working today :(

The bus was driven straight into the cowshed. Avoiding meeting the public?

One photo showed a big crowd all enthusiastically waving banners. The other, a longer shot showed a small crowd [of what looked like mainly newsmen] that didn't even take up a quarter of the shed.
They'd better spend some of their 'hard-earned' on bussing in extras then, ohsocynical.

Edit: I'm not just talking transportation costs but how much would you demand to show your appreciation?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Confirmation that the YouGov Leaders debate survey crashed out. How reliable are their "Leaders" percentage leads one wonders?
"Dear YouGov Member,

I'm sorry you were unable to complete the survey about the leader's debate on Thursday last week.

Having had the chance to look into this, we can see that as there were thousands of panellists willing to take part in the survey and all at the same time, the load got too much for our servers which resulted in them crashing. Whilst we do everything we can to make sure all our panellists can get through the systems and complete our surveys as soon as possible, this is not always the case and we are sorry for this.

As a thank you for your time, we have credited your YouGov account with the 200 points that you would have received for doing this survey.

We thank you for being a part of YouGov and we look forward to hearing your opinions on future surveys.

Regards
Emily
YouGov "
Last edited by AngryAsWell on Tue 07 Apr, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

ohsocynical wrote:... Dave even claimed the four free nappies a day...
I don't want to get too drawn into this argument because I have expressed my views on this several times but couldn't let this nappies one pass. Given their circumstances nappies could be prescribed by their doctor, as our doctor did for our daughter. With or without DLA aren't kiddies' prescriptions free? I can't honestly remember. Even so annual or three-monthly pre-paid prescriptions would have made them very cheap.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

onebuttonmonkey wrote:... Hello all. Of course you're welcome to watch the show! It was a very strange and not unamusing day. And yes, it's quite heated aain. The thing that upsets me is I sound far more like bloody Will Self than I ever thought I did. *shudder*
That's all very well, onebuttonmonkey, but what I really want to know is is it like watching your Dad on the telly?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Is That Moustache Real.jpg
Is That Moustache Real.jpg (41.44 KiB) Viewed 7058 times
:lol:

Sounds like Murphy is giving as good as he gets in the debate ... from tweets I've been seeing.
Working on the wild side.
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

utopiandreams wrote:
onebuttonmonkey wrote:... Hello all. Of course you're welcome to watch the show! It was a very strange and not unamusing day. And yes, it's quite heated aain. The thing that upsets me is I sound far more like bloody Will Self than I ever thought I did. *shudder*
That's all very well, onebuttonmonkey, but what I really want to know is is it like watching your Dad on the telly?
It's stranger than that. But I can't really explain why.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Is it me or do some people not understand (perhaps deliberately) that for Labour to even admit slightly that they'd need a coalition partner would be to make it headline news tomorrow?

Common sense surely - to admit to thinking anything less than a working majority would be suicidal.
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

RogerOThornhill wrote:Is it me or do some people not understand (perhaps deliberately) that for Labour to even admit slightly that they'd need a coalition partner would be to make it headline news tomorrow?

Common sense surely - to admit to thinking anything less than a working majority would be suicidal.
I completely agree - but I also really wish all sides would quit with the, "they want to do a deal with so-and-so" argument. I've every sympathy for Labour refusing to admit they would do a deal of some sort if it was possible - until they then have a go at the Tories for planning to do a deal with someone. Yes, a deal with UKIP might be uglier than a deal with the SNP, but so what? We don't vote for coalitions, we vote for the representatives we want. And we should be having a bloody election on the merits of each individual party, not on David wants to do a kiss with Nigel or Ed hearts Nicola. Yes, any pre-arrangements need to be declared, but all the rest of it is just noise that gets in the way of what needs to be discussed...

... which is possibly why the papers are so determined to keep talking about it.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

A closer photo of Moustache Man ... is it DFH??? :lol: :lol:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Glad to see Sturgeon admit that shes accepting referendum decisions until the referendum that eventually gives independence.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

onebuttonmonkey wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Is it me or do some people not understand (perhaps deliberately) that for Labour to even admit slightly that they'd need a coalition partner would be to make it headline news tomorrow?

I completely agree - but I also really wish all sides would quit with the, "they want to do a deal with so-and-so" argument. I've every sympathy for Labour refusing to admit they would do a deal of some sort if it was possible - until they then have a go at the Tories for planning to do a deal with someone. Yes, a deal with UKIP might be uglier than a deal with the SNP, but so what? We don't vote for coalitions, we vote for the representatives we want. And we should be having a bloody election on the merits of each individual party, not on David wants to do a kiss with Nigel or Ed hearts Nicola. Yes, any pre-arrangements need to be declared, but all the rest of it is just noise that gets in the way of what needs to be discussed...

... which is possibly why the papers are so determined to keep talking about it.
Narrative will change when the manifesto's are out next week. Till then all "news hounds" can do is speculate. Until then I see no reason why Labour should not turn the finger right back at the tory's and ask what about Ukip? Will you do a deal with them?
Press are not asking the question. Labour are not in a fair game so have to ask their own questions.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

Re that fantastic set of pictures of Cameron inna Cowshed, I posted the official picture of the gathering and the picture from the back of the enormous shed with the bus obscuring the hordes of acolytes to a friend in Mevagissey. I have never had so many likes'n'shares.
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

James Maxwell @jamesmaxwell86
Follow

Sturgeon looking uncharacteristically uncomfortable here. Labour strategists in the spin room are delighted with Murphy's performance.
Just maybe Labour made the right choice of Scottish Leader.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

rearofthestore wrote:
Follow

Sturgeon looking uncharacteristically uncomfortable here. Labour strategists in the spin room are delighted with Murphy's performance.
This is pretty good (source Guardian)
Murphy says Labour will use the mansion tax to pay for more nurses in Scotland. He does not give a damn what Boris Johnson thinks about that, he says.
Release the Guardvarks.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

rearofthestore wrote:
Follow

Sounds like she had her arse handed to her when she spouted the £30bn austerity rhetoric.

I'm hoping that in the non Cameron debates Miliband can get stuck into her on detail.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

After five years of a government which pledged to protect the NHS, this election campaign makes it timely to assess its stewardship, since 2010, of England’s most precious institution. Our verdict, as doctors working in and for the NHS, is that history will judge that this administration’s record is characterised by broken promises, reductions in necessary funding, and destructive legislation, which leaves health services weaker, more fragmented, and less able to perform their vital role than at any time in the NHS’s history.

In short, the coalition has failed to keep its NHS pledges.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... er-in-full
Senior doctors assess government’s record on NHS – letter in full
More than 100 senior health professionals write in a personal capacity outlining their view of how the NHS in England has fared under the coalition

List of all names following the end of the letter.
Tory coalition failure during the last five years for the NHS emphatically & accurately documented.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Jamie Ross ✔ @JamieRoss7
Follow
Most interesting moment moustache-aside is the audience jeering when Sturgeon didn't rule out another referendum after 2016. #ScotDebates
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:
After five years of a government which pledged to protect the NHS, this election campaign makes it timely to assess its stewardship, since 2010, of England’s most precious institution. Our verdict, as doctors working in and for the NHS, is that history will judge that this administration’s record is characterised by broken promises, reductions in necessary funding, and destructive legislation, which leaves health services weaker, more fragmented, and less able to perform their vital role than at any time in the NHS’s history.

In short, the coalition has failed to keep its NHS pledges.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... er-in-full
Senior doctors assess government’s record on NHS – letter in full
More than 100 senior health professionals write in a personal capacity outlining their view of how the NHS in England has fared under the coalition

List of all names following the end of the letter.
Tory coalition failure during the last five years for the NHS emphatically & accurately documented.
And what was the Tory reaction?

Orchestrated by Labour...pretty hilarious given (i) the company directors letter (ii) the academy principals letter backing Gove (iii) the right wing historians letter backing Gove (which Skidmore the stupid berk signed and made it obvious.)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill, I'm reading some of the associated comments below the line - desperate trolls - oh the humanity
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

More than 100 top doctors attack government record on NHS
Letter from senior health professionals says coalition has left NHS in weakest position ever and calls on people to use votes to reinstate service

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... t-50090218
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Nats have melted twitter.
One thing I did see fly past was a number to call to join SNP. Annual membership £10.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

George Foulkes ‏@GeorgeFoulkes · 33m33 minutes ago
A seeming paradox that Nicola gets worse reception in Scotland than England until you remember we know her better #ScotDebates
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Kevin Hague ‏@kevverage · 26m26 minutes ago
*finally* @NicolaSturgeon forced to defend the SNP's record - flounders badly as she tries to deflect blame rather than take responsibility.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers 1m1 minute ago
EXC 80 leading headteachers warn of dangers of Labour rolling back education reform #tomorrowspaperstoday
Couldn't they muster the obligatory 100? Gove's whipping inadequate again?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ed Miliband could force firms to share profits with staff under new policy
Labour considers plan to ensure low paid benefit from economic growth as part of legislation that would affect about 53% of people employed in UK
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... aff-policy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:fight: talk !
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RobertSnozers wrote:
citizenJA wrote:RogerOThornhill, I'm reading some of the associated comments below the line - desperate trolls - oh the humanity
Let me guess. MID STAFFS! DRINKING FROM VASES! And on the other side, PFI! INDEPENDENT SECTOR TREATMENT CENTRES!
Have I got this right?

Lots of PFIs can be bought out. You just need a public body to lend you a lump sum, and they pay that body back instead of the PFI company.

If so

a) Why don't the Scottish Government sort the worst ones, as Neil Findlay suggested?
b) Why isn't Burnham saying Labour will do that?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AngryAsWell wrote:George Foulkes ‏@GeorgeFoulkes · 33m33 minutes ago
A seeming paradox that Nicola gets worse reception in Scotland than England until you remember we know her better #ScotDebates
This is not a shock, Sturgeon is a fresh face in England, not in Scotland.

Muppets like Zoe Williams should know better however.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 5m5 minutes ago
Ed Miliband pledges to end non domicile tax status in UK by next April.
That deserves a whoop ... Do you think some very wealthy Russians who like bidding for total tat at black and white balls might decide to move on?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AndrewSparrow ‏@AndrewSparrow 1m1 minute ago
My snap verdict on #ScotDebates - http://www.theguardian.com/politics/liv ... f858ca6dbe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … - Ruth Davidson and Jim Murphy probably did best
Blimey.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Have I got this right?

Lots of PFIs can be bought out. You just need a public body to lend you a lump sum, and they pay that body back instead of the PFI company.

If so

a) Why don't the Scottish Government sort the worst ones, as Neil Findlay suggested?
b) Why isn't Burnham saying Labour will do that?
Holyrood currently has very limited borrowing powers, but that changes this year (maybe today, as it's a new financial year).
Last edited by Eric_WLothian on Tue 07 Apr, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RobertSnozers wrote:
citizenJA wrote:RogerOThornhill, I'm reading some of the associated comments below the line - desperate trolls - oh the humanity
Let me guess. MID STAFFS! DRINKING FROM VASES! And on the other side, PFI! INDEPENDENT SECTOR TREATMENT CENTRES!
They're Labour doctors!
Communist doctors signing documents!
Blair started it!
no John Major started PFIs...
SO?
Blair Doctors Blair Hospitals!
Lions, tigers & bears oh my
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 51s 51 seconds ago
LAB moves to 2% lead with YouGov
CON 33%, LAB 35%, LD 8%, UKIP 14%, GRN 5%
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:
EXC 80 leading headteachers warn of dangers of Labour rolling back education reform #tomorrowspaperstoday
Would you believe that I just mentioned the last clearly orchestrated letter that "leading head teachers" wrote on behalf of Gove...and blow me, there's another one!

I'll take a look tomorrow and see how many have had honours given them by Gove. Lots probably.

And almost certainly the same bunch as last time. Do I still have the list? Oh yes...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Ed Miliband could force firms to share profits with staff under new policy
Labour considers plan to ensure low paid benefit from economic growth as part of legislation that would affect about 53% of people employed in UK
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... aff-policy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This may be why some idiots thought rough-housing the Labour party leader a good strategy. It's not. But I can understand the threat a social democratic government in leadership may present people with entitlement problems - they've never worked a day in their lives.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:Ed Miliband could force firms to share profits with staff under new policy

Don't know if anyone had time to read this, quite a big one if they do it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Would you believe that I just mentioned the last clearly orchestrated letter that "leading head teachers" wrote on behalf of Gove...and blow me, there's another one!

I'll take a look tomorrow and see how many have had honours given them by Gove. Lots probably.

And almost certainly the same bunch as last time. Do I still have the list? Oh yes...
(my bold)
Oh, you dumb Tory peoples!
RogerOThornhill takes notes!
Documentation!
Five years of Tory crap & the workers have documented the devastation.
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

Abolishing non-dom tax status? Excellent. A genuine and clear point of difference, and one where Labour are clearly, rightly and unambiguously on the correct side. *happiness*
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

This brought a smile to my face. No precis needed.

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-4a ... SRN25PpyZU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;