Thursday 9th April 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Spacedone
Whip

Thursday 9th April 2015

Post by Spacedone »

This was the Tory spin immediately after last night's Scottish debate.
CCHQ Press Office 8 hours ago
Now we know: Trident is Sturgeon's red line. Prime Minister Miliband would risk our national security #leadersdebate pic.twitter.com/sOfEYM0SMU
and this was the response to their spin
@CCHQPress Do you guys have any policies to announce or is it just 28 more days of negative campaigning and Poundshop Putin hugging animals?
I wake up this morning to find the Tory spin is the headline in every Tory newspaper. It's almost as if it's coordinated or something...

28 days of negative campaigning it is then.
Spacedone
Whip

Re: Thursday 9th April 2015

Post by Spacedone »

At this stage in the marginals having enough volunteer footsoldiers on the ground matters most

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index. ... ters-most/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

New Labour policy. Guaranteed access to career advisors for students.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... unt-pledge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Confederation of British Industry (CBI) in 2013 described the current careers advice service as being on “life support”, with surveys suggesting four out of five schools are now offering inadequate careers advice.

A more recent Royal Society report last year found more than 90% of young people reporting not getting the information they needed to make informed decisions about their future.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Amusing to read that Fallon accuses Miliband of putting the defence of this country at risk, this from a man who has laid off 20,000 soldiers and is in the process of replacing them with part time reservists.

The personal language, proves once again they have nothing to give, just smears and lies, ably aided by a compliant media of course. Pathetic doesn't even begin to describe it.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Now yesterday's announcement regarding non doms is further evidence that the SNP are dragging Labour further to the left.

http://m.scotsman.com/news/uk/labour-s- ... -1-3740784" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You couldn't make this nonsense up, I'll be feeling sorry for Roman Abramovich at this rate.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Pickles has been forced to eat his words, should the Tories win the election they are to reduce bin collections to once a month. Councils shall be told to use the money saved to erect statues of Dear Maggie outside council offices.

Sorry I was getting carried away there, I've been reading Grant's book on how to deride the opposition.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 44m44 minutes ago
Is Mr Fallon unwilling to go into coalition with a party that wants to scale down Britain's independent nuclear deterrent - called Lib Dems
They don't seem to consider, or care about, the facing two ways at once, contradictory and hypocritical nature of just about all their anti Labour stances. All that matters it seems is to get the slurs out. I was actually pleased to hear Radio 4 news announce that Michael Fallon had launched a 'personal attack' on Ed Miliband. At least they're calling it for what it is.

I have a bit more faith in the electorate at the moment. They've had 5 years of this constant putting down of Ed Miliband. Anyone would think he had been the prime minister during that time for all the flack he's taking from the other parties.

Morning.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I see this attack on Miliband over the nuclear deterrent as meeting 2 aims for the Tories .... trying to undermine Miliband and Labour's future relationship with the SNP ... and at the same time getting Labour to issue a tough line on Trident that will firm up Green and Lib Dem votes.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Robert Hutton ‏@RobDotHutton 1m1 minute ago
Michael Fallon on @BBCr4today describes standing for election as a "shabby manoeuvre." Have Tories thought this politics thing through?
He is unbelievable. Naughtie - to give him credit - is picking him up on quite a lot of the cant and hypocrisy. Fallon has just talked about a 'grubby coalition' deal between Labour and the SNP and Naughtie said 'hang on - you entered into a coalition deal with the Lib Dems, are you saying that was 'grubby'?

So anyone that enters a competition against a sibling is guilty of a shabby manoeuvre? Tell that to the Brown brothers - champion GB triathletes - or the Williams sisters.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kevan Jones 4 MP retweeted
Peter Smith ‏@Redpeter99 7m7 minutes ago
My DAB radio is so clear I can actually hear the white coats flapping near Michael Fallon. He is pitiful on #r4today.

Kevan Jones 4 MP retweeted
Labour Press Team ‏@labourpress 8m8 minutes ago
Today's Tory smears and lies about Trident say more about the state of the Tory election campaign than the state of our national security.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 1m1 minute ago
Jo Johnson undertaking hasty rewrite of Tory manifesto with new promise to restore primogeniture.

Sam Macrory ‏@sammacrory 2m2 minutes ago
First he was red. Then weird. Then useless. Now ruthless. Get the feeling the Tories are still (late in the day) working out Miliband attack
He's got em rattled - that's for sure.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Shapps and Fallon are the gifts that keep giving, oh and Gove of course.

Likes Alexander's quip that the Tories are "a wounded animal that keeps lashing out" long way to go yet, but they are seriously rattled.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Robert Hutton retweeted
Giles Wilkes ‏@Gilesyb 56s56 seconds ago
@RobDotHutton "Ed Miliband: Should have gone into the Clergy" seen on pamphlets round Dorsetshire
Good grief ... anyone caught sight of these election artefacts? They could well turn out to be collectable memorabilia.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

On a personal, feeling sorry for myself note, why is it you can go through winter without catching a cold, but first sign of the sun you catch a stinker.

:sick:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Gapes retweeted
John Prescott ‏@johnprescott 14m14 minutes ago
Michael Fallon attacks coalition deals as 'grubby.' Naughtie reminds him he's been in one for five years. Just embarrassing #r4today

Mike Gapes ‏@MikeGapes 39s39 seconds ago Ilford, London
Trident main gate decision postponed to 2016 by Tories because of coalition with Fib Dems. So who put future defences at risk ? @BBCr4today
I'll stop now. You'll have well and truly got the flavour of Fallon's 'arguments'.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:On a personal, feeling sorry for myself note, why is it you can go through winter without catching a cold, but first sign of the sun you catch a stinker.

:sick:
Can't answer that scientifically letsskip - but it rings true. I know I always find the change of season a bit unsettling. For me it's headaches and rhinitis from tree pollen. Hope you get over it quickly - look after yourself. (I could say - don't worry we've only got two more days of good weather but that sounds awful ...).
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I see this attack on Miliband over the nuclear deterrent as meeting 2 aims for the Tories .... trying to undermine Miliband and Labour's future relationship with the SNP ... and at the same time getting Labour to issue a tough line on Trident that will firm up Green and Lib Dem votes.
Been thinking about this,
(but probably not hard or long enough),
What would be likely result/ramifications If Labour offered a referendum on Trident/Trident replacement?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Labour lead the Tories by 13% in the north of England, in the south the Tories lead by 15%.

Not too important, it will come down to the marginal seats, and there's quite a few of them up for grabs in the south.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Morning, yet another beautiful morning, can't believe it.

Ed Balls was in Carmarthenshire yesterday, promising fairer funding and more resources for Wales.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... ls-9006650" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

& hope you feel better soon LetsSkip.
Last edited by yahyah on Thu 09 Apr, 2015 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Robert Hutton retweeted
Giles Wilkes ‏@Gilesyb 56s56 seconds ago
@RobDotHutton "Ed Miliband: Should have gone into the Clergy" seen on pamphlets round Dorsetshire
Good grief ... anyone caught sight of these election artefacts? They could well turn out to be collectable memorabilia.
That one's a joke, surely? In the sense of 'older brother inherits, younger brothers go into the forces/clergy'?
Isn't there something about one brother going into the army too ?
I read it as a slur that Ed's not fighting material, i.e. not the right wing view of a 'real' man.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Labour lead the Tories by 13% in the north of England, in the south the Tories lead by 15%.

Not too important, it will come down to the marginal seats, and there's quite a few of them up for grabs in the south.
Morning all.

London looking like a red oasis. Damn those metropolitan elite!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Michael Fallon - Verdict from the Twitter commentariat

This is what political journalists are saying about Michael Fallon this morning.

Generally they are fairly damning. Several are from journalists working for leftish news organisations, but by now means all of them are. I haven’t left out any positive comments out of bias; I’ve left them out because I have not seen any. If you’ve seen any tweets from political hacks who were impressed by Fallon, please let me know and I’ll include them. (Election Blog, Guardian - my emphasis)
Can you help?

(I realise (or fervently hope) that that is a tongue in cheek line (the bolded line) from Andrew Sparrow.)
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

You can almost smell the desperation:

Nick Boles "ask yourself this, who would Putin prefer to see as PM"
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I see this attack on Miliband over the nuclear deterrent as meeting 2 aims for the Tories .... trying to undermine Miliband and Labour's future relationship with the SNP ... and at the same time getting Labour to issue a tough line on Trident that will firm up Green and Lib Dem votes.
As 1983 proves there are no votes in offering to give up nukes unilaterally. The numbers of people prepared to support such a policy, in a way that dictates their vote, over bigger issues is tiny.

Incidentally I think Labour and the Lib Dems now have the same policy on this, trident yes but scaled back.

With note to the question of a referendum on it, interesting question; I would suggest the fate of Ukraine (which unilaterally gave up nukes) would serve as a warning. I haven't seen any evidence that people are in favour of getting rid of them.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

Owen Jones has pointed out on Twitter that "stabbed in the back" is a fairly well known anti Semitic meme.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stab-in-the-back_myth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's getting a lot of "oh woe, how could you sink so low as to suggest such a thing" type responses, but when you add it to all the other subtle little digs "North London" "metropolitan" " funny looking" it's increasingly hard not to read something into it.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Tish wrote:Owen Jones has pointed out on Twitter that "stabbed in the back" is a fairly well known anti Semitic meme.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stab-in-the-back_myth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's getting a lot of "oh woe, how could you sink so low as to suggest such a thing" type responses, but when you add it to all the other subtle little digs "North London" "metropolitan" " funny looking" it's increasingly hard not to read something into it.
I've noticed comments from Cameron & others made along lines of Ed 'picking' taxpayer's pockets.
Along with Tory posters depicting him in similar style to Nazi era fascist cartoons.
Not all that subtle.
Last edited by tinybgoat on Thu 09 Apr, 2015 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

RobertSnozers wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
As 1983 proves there are no votes in offering to give up nukes unilaterally. The numbers of people prepared to support such a policy, in a way that dictates their vote, over bigger issues is tiny.

Incidentally I think Labour and the Lib Dems now have the same policy on this, trident yes but scaled back.

With note to the question of a referendum on it, interesting question; I would suggest the fate of Ukraine (which unilaterally gave up nukes) would serve as a warning. I haven't seen any evidence that people are in favour of getting rid of them.
The SNP's position seems to be that they want them off Scottish soil but are happy enough to enjoy the protection offered by other Nato nations with nukes (such as it is).
They also seem to want to voluntarily take on a deficit of 7.5 billion pounds by voting for FFA.

Given how small their population is austerity will be eye watering.
Release the Guardvarks.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:You can almost smell the desperation:

Nick Boles "ask yourself this, who would Putin prefer to see as PM"
Did you see the follow up text?
Answer: the man who abandoned the Syrians to their fate and the woman who wants to scrap our nuclear deterrent.
:roll:
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

"Poundshop Putin" - very nice :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

This is what political journalists are saying about Michael Fallon this morning.

Generally they are fairly damning. Several are from journalists working for leftish news organisations, but by now means all of them are. I haven’t left out any positive comments out of bias; I’ve left them out because I have not seen any. If you’ve seen any tweets from political hacks who were impressed by Fallon, please let me know and I’ll include them. (Election Blog, Guardian - my emphasis)
Can you help?

(I realise (or fervently hope) that that is a tongue in cheek line (the bolded line) from Andrew Sparrow.)
There was this from the Telegraph. Not sure how serious it is. :D
Miliband.jpg
Miliband.jpg (26.41 KiB) Viewed 9614 times
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The point is, it has almost reached the stage when you could imagine them saying that :D
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The point is, it has almost reached the stage when you could imagine them saying that :D
Unbelievably, the BTL comments on the Telegraph's election blog are 99% in support of Ed, ridiculing not only the Tories, but also the Barclay brothers :clap:
FuriousGeorge
Backbencher

Post by FuriousGeorge »

So the Conservative party are delaying the release of their manifest by 24hrs, so they can "unpick" Labours.

This either means they are terrified of whats in Labours manifesto, or theirs is so threadbare they are going to copy and paste it into theirs.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Someone has just Tweeted that the Telegraph has changed its headlines
david bush ‏@Davidbush 8 mins8 minutes ago
Telegraph changing headlines. First End stabbing brother... now Ed is Putin's pal!! Are the Barclay Brothers losing the plot? Methinks, yes!
At least we can rest easy for a few days knowing there are some very pissed off non dom newspaper editors out there.

I wonder if Crosby has any hair left?

And Rees Mogg has said non doms are the geese that lay the golden egg. That won't win him votes.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

George Parker @GeorgeWParker
Follow

David Cameron to delay manifesto by launch 24 hours to next Tuesday. Tories say they want to "unpick" Lab manifesto, launched on Monday
10:51 AM - 9 Apr 2015
Guardian Election Blog)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

danesclose wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

Can you help?

There was this from the Telegraph. Not sure how serious it is. :D
Miliband.jpg

I think that one's a joke!

And sorry for being a bit slow off the mark and repeating the news that the Conservatives' manifesto release is to be delayed. I was waiting to "unpick" everyone else's comments . . . .

Edited to move an appostrofe
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

ohsocynical wrote:Someone has just Tweeted that the Telegraph has changed its headlines
Telegraph changing headlines. First End stabbing brother... now Ed is Putin's pal!! Are the Barclay Brothers losing the plot? Methinks, yes!
At least we can rest easy for a few days knowing there are some very pissed off non dom newspaper editors out there.

And Rees Mogg has said non doms are the geese that lay the golden egg. That won't win him votes.
Just the one egg so far?
Squeeze them harder, some more should pop out. :D
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I wish my dad were here to see the Tories imploding. He'd be killing himself laughing.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

tinybgoat wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Someone has just Tweeted that the Telegraph has changed its headlines

Just the one egg so far?
Squeeze them harder, some more should pop out. :D
My grammar is pants. :oops: I couldn't figure out what to put. It should have been nom doms are golden geese. :roll:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

RobertSnozers wrote:
FuriousGeorge wrote:So the Conservative party are delaying the release of their manifest by 24hrs, so they can "unpick" Labours.

This either means they are terrified of whats in Labours manifesto, or theirs is so threadbare they are going to copy and paste it into theirs.
Isn't the manifesto supposed to be what you would do, not your response to what other parties say they would do? Total shambles from Crosby. No strategy, all tactics.
Yes, if you have confidence in your own message then what other parties say is immaterial.

Presumably UKIP will wait until the Tory one is out before publishing theirs. Mind you I wouldn't bank against them publishing on May 8th...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
FuriousGeorge wrote:So the Conservative party are delaying the release of their manifest by 24hrs, so they can "unpick" Labours.

Isn't the manifesto supposed to be what you would do, not your response to what other parties say they would do? Total shambles from Crosby. No strategy, all tactics.
Yes, if you have confidence in your own message then what other parties say is immaterial.

Presumably UKIP will wait until the Tory one is out before publishing theirs. Mind you I wouldn't bank against them publishing on May 8th...
Really? My money's on May 9th - with a retraction on May 12th.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Today's YouGov 3.

Question 2 asks about Ed Miliband running against his brother. FFS.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Andrew Spooner ‏@andrewspoooner · 34 secs34 seconds ago
Tip for the day - do not search Google images for "UKIP" "Porn" "John Langley". http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-32230155" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

:lol: :lol:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

@faisalislam
Leaked Conservative strategy doc sent last week to all candidates. Pm mentioned 10 times, Miliband 99, Salmond 8
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tories 'running a positive campaign' my arse.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

From the BBC.
'SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon has said her party will not agree any formal power-sharing deal with Labour unless Ed Miliband drops plans to renew the Trident nuclear deterrent.

Appearing in Midlothian following last night's leaders' debate, Ms Sturgeon made clear that this would include a confidence and supply agreement as well as a coalition.

She told BBC Scotland the SNP could still work with a minority Labour government on an issue-by-issue basis but would not vote for anything that supported Trident renewal.

Asked specifically if this would mean voting down a Queen's speech, she declined to confirm that it would.'

Does a Trident funding decision have to be part of the Queens Speech?

I thought she'd ruled out a formal coalition....
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Sturgeon last night also said she would not support a Queens Speech that had any austerity measures in it.

This talk about not putting a Tory Party into power is bullshit in my opinion.

The SNP will do whatever it takes to get agreement for devo-max/referendum & the Cons are cynical enough to deliver it.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

pk1 wrote:Sturgeon last night also said she would not support a Queens Speech that had any austerity measures in it.

This talk about not putting a Tory Party into power is bullshit in my opinion.

The SNP will do whatever it takes to get agreement for devo-max/referendum & the Cons are cynical enough to deliver it.
Morning.
For what it's worth,here's my feeling about the SNP gen election.
I don't think they will get the expected landslide now that Sturgeon has committed to FFA,just like the referendum was lost when cu was ruled out.The Nat's can't make an economic case for FFA,I think sensible Scots will back away soon.And every seat the SNP fail to take from labour is one more towards a labour majority.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

TNS poll:

LAB 33% (+1),
CON 30% (-3),
LIB DEM 8% (0),
UKIP 19% (+3),
GREEN 4% (-1),
OTHER 7 (0)
fedup59
Committee Member

Post by fedup59 »

Afternoon all on what appears to be the funniest day of the election so far - implosions are weird to watch!

I think I've reached the point of wondering what the SNP think they will be bringing to the table in any coalition discussions. I actually don't think there will be any (landslide is my preferred place to be!) but with so many 'we will not...(fill in as the moment requires)' it leaves something to be discussed about what would be gained by anybody if any left claiming minority parties dictate future policy decisions. Seems to me exercising power without accountability is the current argument for their participation.