Friday 10th April 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 10th April 2015

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

ohsocynical wrote:
The Daily Rupert ‏@TheMurdochTimes 20 mins20 minutes ago

So Cameron's @Conservatives need to stage the best Tory recovery in 60 years now to keep Miliband out of No 10? Is that true?
Is it? Anatoly. Help
Well, only 1992 comes close to what they need - I know that much.

Let's not forget too that from about the mid-80s until the 2005 GE, most polling had a pro-Labour bias which the pollsters now think they have eliminated.

(indeed, it may just slightly be going the other way?)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/200 ... are_btn_tw

One of the great unsolved mysteries of modern British politics is the role of the Tipp-Ex trick in John Major's narrow victory over Neil Kinnock in the 1992 general election. The Tory triumph was almost entirely unpredicted: opinion pollsters were forced to eat their figures, the BBC was mauled for the "anti-Tory bias" of its exit polls. At the time, the surprise result was hurriedly explained by the power of Major's soapbox and by the false triumphalism of Kinnock's closing rally in Sheffield.

Complaints about the use of proxy votes emerged from St Ives in Cornwall. In an old people's home called Pine Trees, for example, a Conservative supporter helped 17 elderly electors to fill in a form to apply for a postal vote, and then collected all the forms to take them to the council. Which was fine. Without their knowledge, the 17 elderly voters ended up applying for proxy votes, naming various people who were to vote on their behalf - all of whom turned out to be Conservative partyworkers. Some of these workers expressed astonishment when told the story.
Cripes. From 2001. I'm gobsmacked...Perhaps Ernst could tell us if this is still likely?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

By football magic I mean things along the lines of:
The game's ending was so unexpected that UEFA President Lennart Johansson had left his seat in the stands before Sheringham's equaliser to make his way down to the pitch in order to present the European Cup trophy, already decorated with Bayern ribbons.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Mark Ferguson @Markfergusonuk · 2h 2 hours ago
Very best of luck to @Mike_Fabricant on battling skin cancer. Differences aside, he is one of the real vibrant characters of our politics
I'll second that. I had no idea he was ill.
He just announced it today.
Michael Fabricant @Mike_Fabricant
· 3h 3 hours ago
I was diagnosed with skin cancer this morning (melanoma & basal cell carcinoma) at Queen's Hospital Burton. Probably caught in time. #NHS
And while I also wish him luck (I have lost too many to cancer) his next tweet made me more than a little angry. (My bold).
· 3h 3 hours ago
.Had various bits removed so walking very oddly! The staff at Queen's are excellent and thoroughly professional. Well done #NHS!
Why did it make me angry? Here is a clue.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10193/ ... tes#health" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:fire:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Was surprised to see "political pig racing" has caught on. though i suppose within a context of bog-snorkelling, cheese rolling and gravy wrestling it looks reasonably normale.

(see Graun blog)
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

This is a cracker.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 68427.html

Have these companies never heard of due diligence?
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

If any of you should happen to get bored...

http://news.sky.com/election/shakermaker#/projection
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Mark Ferguson @Markfergusonuk · 2h 2 hours ago
Very best of luck to @Mike_Fabricant on battling skin cancer. Differences aside, he is one of the real vibrant characters of our politics
I'll second that. I had no idea he was ill.
He just announced it today.
· 3h 3 hours ago
I was diagnosed with skin cancer this morning (melanoma & basal cell carcinoma) at Queen's Hospital Burton. Probably caught in time. #NHS
And while I also wish him luck (I have lost too many to cancer) his next tweet made me more than a little angry. (My bold).
· 3h 3 hours ago
.Had various bits removed so walking very oddly! The staff at Queen's are excellent and thoroughly professional. Well done #NHS!
Why did it make me angry? Here is a clue.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10193/ ... tes#health" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:fire:
Perhaps this experience may give him cause and time to reflect on such things ....
Working on the wild side.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

I think someone mentioned Labour funding earlier? Had this via email:
We've just reached an incredible milestone — and I want to thank all of you for helping us get here:

We are now raising more money online from thousands of supporters like you than the Tories are getting from their hedge-fund millionaire friends.

This unprecedented achievement is because of your generosity. Thank you for being part of the first truly people-funded campaign in British electoral history. Help us keep up this historic momentum by chipping in again:

This is how the numbers stack up:

Hedge-fund donors have been giving £24,435 a day to the Tories. When we saw that figure at the end of last year, we honestly weren't sure we'd be able to catch up.

But we just pulled last month's numbers, and generous Labour supporters like you are now giving £28,792 online every day to our campaign to win this election.

I can't overstate this: what you are doing is absolutely phenomenal. And what's even better?

Our average online donation is just £22.05 — from 19,226 people last month.

Contrast that with the most recent figures on Tory hedge-fund donations: £37,965 on average — across just 38 donors.

With your help, we are changing the way politics is done in Britain — proving that the collective action of thousands of ordinary people can have more impact than a tiny circle of self-interested Tory donors. Increase your stake in this election now:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@Refitman
That's huge - wonderful news!
:rock:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 8m8 minutes ago
Nicola Sturgeon will be making her fourth TV leaders debate appearance next Thursday. She is not standing on the General Election.

Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 6m6 minutes ago
Meanwhile Nick Clegg has been told he cannot appear in the TV debate because he is a member of the government.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Fabricant is a total and utter arse.

But as total and utter arses go he is kind of ok. So I wish him well, but as others here have said maybe he should do some thinking.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Grant Shapps being absolutely macerated on Any Questions from Totnes. The audience laughing at him - he claims that people who volunteer will be happier and healthier so take less sick days and that will pay for the million plus nurse days lost to the NHS .... and then Hilary Benn, Paddy Ashdown, Caroline Lucas and even Jonathan Dimbleby pitch in with the challenges to him.

This is shaping up to be a very funny AQ.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

refitman wrote:I think someone mentioned Labour funding earlier? Had this via email:
We've just reached an incredible milestone — and I want to thank all of you for helping us get here:

We are now raising more money online from thousands of supporters like you than the Tories are getting from their hedge-fund millionaire friends.

This unprecedented achievement is because of your generosity. Thank you for being part of the first truly people-funded campaign in British electoral history. Help us keep up this historic momentum by chipping in again:

This is how the numbers stack up:

Hedge-fund donors have been giving £24,435 a day to the Tories. When we saw that figure at the end of last year, we honestly weren't sure we'd be able to catch up.

But we just pulled last month's numbers, and generous Labour supporters like you are now giving £28,792 online every day to our campaign to win this election.

I can't overstate this: what you are doing is absolutely phenomenal. And what's even better?

Our average online donation is just £22.05 — from 19,226 people last month.

Contrast that with the most recent figures on Tory hedge-fund donations: £37,965 on average — across just 38 donors.

With your help, we are changing the way politics is done in Britain — proving that the collective action of thousands of ordinary people can have more impact than a tiny circle of self-interested Tory donors. Increase your stake in this election now:

Yes, someone did (mention it). It's encouraging news, isn't it?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ yahyah

I've been meaning to ask -

What's the latest on the car?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

angela smith ‏@angelasmithmp 2m2 minutes ago
Tory candidate in penistone says badger cull should be halted he needs to talk to the prime minister
No point in doing that sir. Cameron has already said he knows it's the most unpopular Tory policy ... but he doesn't care, big donors want it, rural Tories want it - and Cam wants it - he enjoys killing wildlife in the countryside.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

ohsocynical wrote:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/200 ... are_btn_tw

One of the great unsolved mysteries of modern British politics is the role of the Tipp-Ex trick in John Major's narrow victory over Neil Kinnock in the 1992 general election. The Tory triumph was almost entirely unpredicted: opinion pollsters were forced to eat their figures, the BBC was mauled for the "anti-Tory bias" of its exit polls. At the time, the surprise result was hurriedly explained by the power of Major's soapbox and by the false triumphalism of Kinnock's closing rally in Sheffield.

Complaints about the use of proxy votes emerged from St Ives in Cornwall. In an old people's home called Pine Trees, for example, a Conservative supporter helped 17 elderly electors to fill in a form to apply for a postal vote, and then collected all the forms to take them to the council. Which was fine. Without their knowledge, the 17 elderly voters ended up applying for proxy votes, naming various people who were to vote on their behalf - all of whom turned out to be Conservative partyworkers. Some of these workers expressed astonishment when told the story.
Cripes. From 2001. I'm gobsmacked...Perhaps Ernst could tell us if this is still likely?
I remember that incident, but I'm not sure what happened subsequently.

The tories can be devious buggers down this way - the "Literal Democrat" gambit easily won Giles Chichester the local euro seat at about the same time. And of course, my MP is Sarah Wollaston, who has done a sterling job from the "open" nomination onwards of convincing people that although she's a tory, she's not really a "tory", just a cuddly GP. Yeah, right.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF/
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:This is a cracker.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 68427.html

Have these companies never heard of due diligence?
Hah! Looks like Aviva should've read the small print, just like the rest of us plebs. Courage, mon brave, courage!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
goodnight, PF
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Right then, to business.

Ephemerid, you maybe pleased to hear that I met Rachel Reeves last night at a social organised for our idiot PPC. I buttonholed her and explained who you and we are, and told her that people don't necessarily trust Labour on social security (the phrase I used, not welfare). When she started droning on about abolishing the bedroom tax, I pulled her up short and told her, I'm a Labout councillor, I know all that. She fell silent and started to listen. I don't suppose she gets it both barrels from people like me very often - no doubt my deselection for 2016 has just been enhanced.

I pressed the points about ESA and WCA, as sugested, and she insisted that there will be a full review. When pressed about Sue Marsh and Maiximus, she couldn't have been much more condemnatory than she was - I get the feeling Ms. Marsh won't be advising a future Labour government. WE shall see.

She asked that I email Ephie's questions to her and that she'd reply.

I'll let you know the outcome. If I don't get an answer then you'll all know.

That's about as far up as I can currently reach. If it improves I'll let you know.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

Hi all. Sorry if posted but I thought it interesting.

13 election posters the Tories would prefer you forgot about
http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/1 ... l1AQOCv7Jb
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kevin Schofield retweeted
Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 24m24 minutes ago
only place in world I been questioned about suitability to report a story on basis of my background, not UKIP, an SNP rally @ChristHeRead

Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 38m38 minutes ago
... some straightforward dark nationalism, not just on here. at an SNP rally: eg "why don't sky send a Scottish reporter?" in aberdeen...
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Good work Ernst!

RR may have many faults but I don't think she's a snob who'll have you taken out. :D I suspect she's hard-working but not a very good communicator. Then again, when she makes her public pronouncements, she's probably trying to address those people who voted Tory last time and are wondering who to vote for this time . She needs to take care not to alienate the core vote though: it's a tricky balance.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mr Riots is in one of his cut off from the cruel world spaces tonight - got headphones on and is glued to his laptop at the kitchen table. I've had to go in three times after hearing a hard repetitive smacking sound ... silly duffer is listening to / watching a band and can't stop his foot automatically thrashing away to the beat. Have made him take his slippers off to soften the noise and he's promised to tie his legs together if he still can't control himself. He sounded like he might enjoy that. We have to get our fun any way we can in these far rural climes.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Switched on for the new series of HIGNFY, Daniel Radcliife hosting. He introduces himself and then ..... straight into a dig at Miliband. The last series was bad, this one looks as though it will be worst as Lynton's loyal lackeys do his bidding; not that I'll know for sure, as that was the final time I watch it.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Switched on for the new series of HIGNFY, Daniel Radcliife hosting. He introduces himself and then ..... straight into a dig at Miliband. The last series was bad, this one looks as though it will be worst as Lynton's loyal lackeys do his bidding; not that I'll know for sure, as that was the final time I watch it.
Haven't watched it for the last couple of seasons because of that.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

refitman wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Switched on for the new series of HIGNFY, Daniel Radcliife hosting. He introduces himself and then ..... straight into a dig at Miliband. The last series was bad, this one looks as though it will be worst as Lynton's loyal lackeys do his bidding; not that I'll know for sure, as that was the final time I watch it.
Gave up early in the last one, thought I'd give them one last chance. Shouldn't have bothered.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

It's just become very tired and totally formulaic - even the panellists and guests look like they don't really believe and / or enjoy the 'jokes' they come out with. Maybe they'll get Clarkson to be the regular host - that should really pep it up (sarcasm intended). I wouldn't put it past them - or him.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
refitman wrote:
Gave up early in the last one, thought I'd give them one last chance. Shouldn't have bothered.
Think Daniel votes Labour. I guess they'll do anything for money...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Night PF :)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Apparently inheritance tax cuts are going to be promised, per the FT.

Might as well have more unfunded taxcuts.

And free money for first time buyers. Or rather people selling houses to them.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

ohsocynical wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
refitman wrote: Haven't watched it for the last couple of seasons because of that.
Seemed reasonably balanced to me - had a pop at all the main players.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Eric_WLothian wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Gave up early in the last one, thought I'd give them one last chance. Shouldn't have bothered.
Didn't stay that long, to be fair. That initial gratuitous dig signalled "business as usual" to me which, based on last time, was going to be 15 minutes of "Isn't Miliband weird" and maybe thirty seconds on Cameron & Clegg. As I say, shan't be bothering again; as RR2 says, the whole format is tired (Merton just goes through the motions these days), time to put it out to grass I reckon.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Perfect timing...

Kings Science Academy trio appear in court charged with fraud offences

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/kings-science- ... -offences/
The former headteacher and two senior members of staff at one of the country’s first free schools have today appeared in court charged with fraud offences.
Sajid Hussain Raza, the founder and former principal of Kings Science Academy in Bradford, was charged last month with nine offences.

It follows a police investigation into alleged financial irregularities at the school, which opened in 2011. It had also been investigated by the Education Funding Agency in 2013.

Mr Raza, 42, of Spring Gardens, Bradford, appeared at Leeds Magistrates’ Court this morning charged with three offences of fraud by abuse of position, three offences of false accounting, two offences of obtaining a money transfer by deception, and one offence of fraud by false representation.

Prime minister David Cameron visited the school in its first year and said he was “very impressed”.
That last line is a cracker...

I guess we'll never know why they apparently had no chair of governors for their first year. There is no way on earth a local authority school would have got away with that.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: Think Daniel votes Labour. I guess they'll do anything for money...
Didn't stay that long, to be fair. That initial gratuitous dig signalled "business as usual" to me which, based on last time, was going to be 15 minutes of "Isn't Miliband weird" and maybe thirty seconds on Cameron & Clegg. As I say, shan't be bothering again; as RR2 says, the whole format is tired (Merton just goes through the motions these days), time to put it out to grass I reckon.
Agree about the format but they had Cameron with the lamb, the UKIP guy being pulled out of the harbour, Osborne with the 'Henry Hoover', Shapps and Green. Can't remember what they said about Clegg!
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Ha, Detroit@Cleveland On MLB At Bat. The unofficial app of Ed Miliband.

Weird - Hell Yes.
Release the Guardvarks.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Eric_WLothian wrote:Can't remember what they said about Clegg!
That may well be his political epitaph!!!!

Night all.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ian ‏@Mancman10 24 mins24 minutes ago Manchester, England
#BBC Poll of polls:

LAB 34%
CON 33%
UKIP 14%
LDEM 9%
GRN 5%
OTH 6%
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:Can't remember what they said about Clegg!
That may well be his political epitaph!!!!

Night all.
I suspect what they said about Clegg was Twat.

That will be his political epitaph.
Release the Guardvarks.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

I have no idea why this revolting man is given the space to vent his opinions:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (107.83 KiB) Viewed 7049 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Chris Ship ‏@chrisshipitv 6 hrs6 hours ago

Tactical voting says Peter Kellner @yougov may reduce @theSNP MPs in #GE2015

WITHOUT: SNP 53 LAB 4 LD 1 CON 1
WITH: SNP 42 LAB 13 LD 3 CON 1
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

pk1 wrote:I have no idea why this revolting man is given the space to vent his opinions:

Presumably when Starkey says the real talent has left politics he means Hitler.

"Going to see David Starkey. Remember to take your whip." Nietzsche.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The Conservatives will plug the NHS funding gap
George Osborne

We recognise that the NHS is precious – and we have the plan and the funding to deliver the resources it deserves

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... unding-gap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Get out
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

ErnstRemarx wrote:What a load of cock. He might as well post about the efficacy of filling your nostrils with Yorkshire gravy as a method of avoiding earthquakes.
What, you mean this is not true? It must be though. I've been filling my nostrils with gravy for years and never experienced an earthquake.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm trying to look at all 45 comments Osborne's article has allegedly generated but can't get to them. I think the moderators are working hard on that thread.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sun Politics ‏@SunPolitics 2m2 minutes ago
YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour have a two-point lead: CON 33%, LAB 35%, LD 8%, UKIP 13%, GRN 5%
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

citizenJA wrote:I'm trying to look at all 45 comments Osborne's article has allegedly generated but can't get to them. I think the moderators are working hard on that thread.
I hammered the tosspot, and the mods won't touch it.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Chris Bryant 2015 ‏@ChrisBryant4MP 2m2 minutes ago
Quite why anyone would trust Cameron promises on the NHS after his £3 billion top down reorganisation of the NHS I can't imagine.
Exactly. I really think the public will know better than to be fooled by this move / promise.