Sat 11 and Sun 12 April

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Sat 11 and Sun 12 April

Post by refitman »

pk1 wrote::dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
I imagine you and AK are grinning like Cheshire cats right now.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

refitman wrote:
pk1 wrote::dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I seem to have missed something?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AngryAsWell wrote:
refitman wrote:

ManU 4 - 2 ManC
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
refitman wrote:

Just got an inkling it might be footie related AAW. That's usually what brings PK out into full on happy dance mode.
Working on the wild side.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

refitman wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
refitman wrote: I imagine you and AK are grinning like Cheshire cats right now.
ManU 4 - 2 ManC
Its not ended here - MrAAW watching on recorded - :lol:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

LibDem sex problems strikes again...

Lib Dem lap dance video: Parliamentary candidate 'caught on camera having private session in strip club'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/li ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :shock:
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

ManU 4 - 2 ManC
:dance: indeed
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AngryAsWell wrote:LibDem sex problems strikes again...

Lib Dem lap dance video: Parliamentary candidate 'caught on camera having private session in strip club'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/li ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :shock:
Normally I wouldn't have a problem with this, but considering who he is...
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

refitman wrote:

You're not wrong !

I'll try to express the emotions I go through in the build up to a huge game.

My stomach aches, my heart goes 20 to the dozen, my breath comes in short gasps which, for somebody with my lung condition, is not great.

City score first & I feel deflated, thinking only of the 1-6 result at Old Trafford in 2011.

Utd equalise & my spirits rise.

Utd go in front & for the first time I'm beginning to think we might just do it but still think a draw would not be too bad a result.

A third for Utd & I'm relaxed and enjoying it.

4 now & I'm whooping & hollering like a loon.

Awww, De Gea got such a good hand to that 2nd goal for Aguero but it snuck into the goal.

Peep, peep, peep & the ref draws an end to City's discomfort. 4-2 to Utd - well done lads ! :clap: :clap: :clap:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

That battle for second place is really hotting up, isn't it pk1? ;)

*runs away to find a hiding place*
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
yahyah wrote:How exactly will Sturgeon stand up to the Tories if the Tories form a government ?
Other than through posture ?

A vote for the SNP in a seat Labour can win is potentially a vote bringing us closer to a Tory government, no amount of Nat spin changes that.
To be unreasonably fair to the Nats, gifting seats to the Tories isn't really an issue in Scotland. Their argument being they will never deal with the Tories (which I don't believe).
Yes, but all that talk about 'locking the Tories out of power' will count for nothing if the Tories end up as the largest party. Even if Labour somehow manages to form a government on that basis, it would be so unpopular as to be unworkable, and the more likely scenario is that the Tories form a government with the LibDems and others.
Indeed the "logic" that Labour must vote SNP to kick out the Tories, is basically just mad.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Love it.
[youtube]-y7l2dvb28U[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y7l2dv ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by refitman on Sun 12 Apr, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: video added
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Guardian article on how the media is covering the election bears out a key bugbear of Mr Riots ...
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/a ... newspapers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When it comes to how each of the parties fared, there were clear winners and losers. Of the seven parties involved in the TV leaders’ debate, Conservative sources were granted the most airtime in bulletins. Cameron did even better than his party overall, getting more than a third of all airtime dedicated to leaders, though Ed Miliband and Nick Clegg were not far behind.
Air time given to party source speaking - Conservative 33.8% - Labour 25.6% - Lib Dem 15.4% and so on in declining amounts ....

Mr Riots has started something he's calling Cameron Count because he's so incensed at the number of photos the BBC post of him on their website.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Yep that Man U result, I suspect most of London will be hungover tomorrow.

:popcorn:
Release the Guardvarks.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:That battle for second place is really hotting up, isn't it pk1? ;)

*runs away to find a hiding place*
LOL, if we had started the season as we're ending it the positions might have been reversed.

Let's see what happens on Saturday..... :lol:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Yep that Man U result, I suspect most of London will be hungover tomorrow.

rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Just Like That.jpg
Just Like That.jpg (34.42 KiB) Viewed 14657 times
Andy Sawford retweeted
peter iwanoff ‏@peteriwanoff 17m17 minutes ago
I'm going to magic you up £8billion for the NHS "just like that"
Osborne on the #Marr show !
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

As I was eating my tea I remembered notnowsonny's picture of Marr's thumbs up to Osborne and of linking it to the boat-race, when suddenly it came to me. But then repartee never was my strong point.

Thumbs up don't look like rowlocks to me, tinyclanger2, he should have flicked him a 'V'.

Edit: or even held up two fingers.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Mon 13 Apr, 2015 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:Love it.
[youtube]-y7l2dvb28U[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y7l2dv ... e=youtu.be
Thanks Dan...I'll leave a tip :D
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

PorFavor wrote:Nick Clegg appearing in public with (fill in the blanks) David Laws? Not a good move, I would suggest.
I appreciate what many of you think about Clegg and David Laws, but I saw Laws interviewed recently by Stephen Sackur and, okay I know I'm ex-LibDem, but have to say that he was quite impressive. Nevertheless their words are relatively meaningless after enabling the Tories for the last five years.

My hopes last time around were that they'd rein in Labour rather than roll over to Tories as they did. My ideal would be Miliband's apparent sense of direction with Julian Huppert's views on Trident and personal liberty.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

RobertSnozers wrote:... I'm getting heartily sick of them. Can we grant independence to one of the larger Western Isles and let them all move there?
Wouldn't we need to ask the islanders first, Robert. If I'm not mistaken didn't the Orkneys, for example, want to remain with rUK?

Edit: of course they're Eastern Isles.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Sun 12 Apr, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Yep that Man U result, I suspect most of London will be hungover tomorrow.

Heard 'em all before, mate. And its usually "Surrey", btw :P
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

utopiandreams wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Nick Clegg appearing in public with (fill in the blanks) David Laws? Not a good move, I would suggest.
I appreciate what many of you think about Clegg and David Laws, but I saw Laws interviewed recently by Stephen Sackur and, okay I know I'm ex-LibDem, but have to say that he was quite impressive. Nevertheless their words are relatively meaningless after enabling the Tories for the last five years.

My hopes last time around were that they'd rein in Labour rather than roll over to Tories as they did. My ideal would be Miliband's apparent sense of direction with Julian Huppert's views on Trident and personal liberty.
Respect you for the clarity of position there utopian. I've been reminding myself quite a lot recently that it's the substance of the policies that matters most - rather than, for the most part, the person espousing them. Although have to admit I really can't like or support Laws.

Found myself realising today that we haven't seen any columns by Huhne in the G of late .... I might have expected them to wheel him out to give a view on various things re the election. Are they hiding him away now ... or has he found new work and gone off to different climes?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Gapes ‏@MikeGapes 2m2 minutes ago Ilford, London
From the tweets I'm getting it seems SNP have got a serious entryist problem from ultra left groups
What does he mean?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Night PF.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

utopiandreams wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:... I'm getting heartily sick of them. Can we grant independence to one of the larger Western Isles and let them all move there?
Wouldn't we need to ask the islanders first, Robert. If I'm not mistaken didn't the Orkneys, for example, want to remain with rUK?

There's always Gruinard - should be relatively safe by now :)
http://www.secretscotland.org.uk/index. ... nardIsland

The Electoral Calculus prediction for Orkney & Shetland is one reason for doubting the current polls in Scotland. Libs fall from 62% to 34% of the vote? SNP rise from 11% to 39%? - in a constituency that has returned Libs as far back as I can remember!
http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/conl ... ndShetland
Last edited by Eric_WLothian on Sun 12 Apr, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

McBride it appears has been in a goading mood this weekend, spend a bit of time last night goading BBC reporters about their non-examining of Tory financial freebies, today @torytreasury has been having it, and guess what, he has found some holes in the latest give-away.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm shocked I tell ya, shocked.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RobertSnozers wrote:Speaking as an Ipswich Town supporter, this site seems very tribal today ;-)
Ha, I had the proverbial taken out of me at school for weeks after that 6-0 (when you missed two penalties as well!)

We did gain just a smidgin of revenge 15 years later, though.......
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:

Respect you for the clarity of position there utopian. I've been reminding myself quite a lot recently that it's the substance of the policies that matters most - rather than, for the most part, the person espousing them. Although have to admit I really can't like or support Laws.

Found myself realising today that we haven't seen any columns by Huhne in the G of late .... I might have expected them to wheel him out to give a view on various things re the election. Are they hiding him away now ... or has he found new work and gone off to different climes?
Thanks, rebecca, but I didn't say I liked him. There again I've worked with many that I've not particularly liked and probably more that didn't like me, but that is unimportant when there is work to be done. As for Huhne, although I share many views, I couldn't read his Guardian submissions, just felt too angry with him after reading the first.

'And please don't think me too shallow if I add that I detest his ex-wife. It's not her appearance or that she had it in for him (maybe deserved), she just comes across as unlikable. Perhaps it was an article by one of the Guardian reporters she blamed for a coffee cup stain on her desk or something, especially compared to the time I broke a table during a celebrity interview for want of a better word.

Edit: corrected typo, would you believe?
Last edited by utopiandreams on Sun 12 Apr, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
graun blog wrote:George Osborne has said that the Tories will support the “basic human instinct” of parents to provide for their children by ensuring that family homes worth £1m will be taken out of inheritance tax.
Immediately brings to mind the charlie brooker comment about Cameron's debate notes and maintaining human form.
Christ, I wish my 'basic human instinct' encompassed being lucky enough to own a £1,000,000 pound house. Some fucking instinct, that.
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

Interesting tweet from Kevin Maguire of the Mirror
Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire Apr 10

Told George Osborne's elbowed his way onto Sunday's Andrew Marr show to try and revive the Tory campaign
That worked well then!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF :)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... illiams-ok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
Another one screened first on FTN. Can't remember who it was (multiple apologies) but congrats on it anyway.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

pk1 wrote:
refitman wrote:

You're not wrong !

I'll try to express the emotions I go through in the build up to a huge game.

My stomach aches, my heart goes 20 to the dozen, my breath comes in short gasps which, for somebody with my lung condition, is not great.

City score first & I feel deflated, thinking only of the 1-6 result at Old Trafford in 2011.

Utd equalise & my spirits rise.

Utd go in front & for the first time I'm beginning to think we might just do it but still think a draw would not be too bad a result.

A third for Utd & I'm relaxed and enjoying it.

4 now & I'm whooping & hollering like a loon.

Awww, De Gea got such a good hand to that 2nd goal for Aguero but it snuck into the goal.

Peep, peep, peep & the ref draws an end to City's discomfort. 4-2 to Utd - well done lads ! :clap: :clap: :clap:
That was a poor City display. I've watched them numerous times, and they can certianly play better than that. Barring the first 10-15 minutes and the last 10, it was fairly poor, and I predict that Manuel Pellegrini will be looking for a new job this summer (as will about half the City defence as now constituted). It was a much more creditable United display than last time, although I was astounded to learn that Utd hadn't beaten City for 6 years prior to today. That speaks volumes.

Manchester United seem to be finally knuckling down and a few players had good games today. The much derided Ashley Young appears to have stopped diving on demand - something I hate in pro football - and actually play to his strengths. Mata did well and Smalling actually put in a shift for once. That said, City were way off their best form, and I thought them very poor in defence, although pretty good in attack. Silva, Milner (until subbed) and Aguero - especially - were in good form and two goals at OT would normally see a team home, but not with the sort of suicidal defending City exhibited. I'm nominally a City fan, but there's no reason at to defend such a poor display in that respect.

So congrats to you United fans out there, a game well won, but perhaps overdue given the embarrasse de riches available after very costly summer. At least you'll see Champions' League soccer next year, but I wouldn't expect them to go beyond the quarters in it for some time.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

utopiandreams wrote:

Yeah, I sort of get that. Huppert's one of the few I've got time for. I think he's in the wrong party, and I hope he decides that after May 7th and defects.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

utopiandreams wrote:

Give them Rockall.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

This won't be believed, but it's true. In the late 90s, I worked in Macclesfield, which some posters will know is on the Manchester - London Euston line, and occasionally I'd go home on the train when it was packed with footie fans heading north for a match. On one particular day, I caught a train to Piccadilly teeming with southern chappies all decked out with red and white going to watch Arsenal take on United at OT. I couldn't tell them all apart. That really, really would not happen with City, but I think it prompts a much deeper conversation about the commiditisation of football teams unrelated to physical proximity.

I've no issues with anyone being a fan of any team, but really? Being Londoners/southerners in such numbers and following Manchester United? Do people really not think about what that looks like, and what the Prem has now become? I recall reading that there are more United fans in Singapore than in the UK. That just doesn't seem healthy to me, and the idea that a club can be a 'brand' seems very wrong to me - and it doesn't just cover United. All the big clubs in the Prem, La Liga and elsewhere are equally guilty and it looks to me like the hijacking of football by big business in the worst possible way. It will not end well for anyone, least of all genuine fans.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Has this site been playing up again?
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:

Give them Rockall.
Quite agree Ernst. Oh wait... Rockall
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Has this site been playing up again?
Yeah,think so,it seems to be confused and thinks it's a football blog!must be a virus.
(Joking,so nobody get upset)
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Rebecca wrote:
Yeah,think so,it seems to be confused and thinks it's a football blog!must be a virus.
(Joking,so nobody get upset)
Genius,

Have a thousand recommends (unfunded of course).
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
From the tweets I'm getting it seems SNP have got a serious entryist problem from ultra left groups
What does he mean?
There are some (one?) ultra left separatists groups, probably referring to them joining SNP
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

Yup, playing havoc with my lurking.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

This won't be believed, but it's true. In the late 90s, I worked in Macclesfield, which some posters will know is on the Manchester - London Euston line, and occasionally I'd go home on the train when it was packed with footie fans heading north for a match. On one particular day, I caught a train to Piccadilly teeming with southern chappies all decked out with red and white going to watch Arsenal take on United at OT. I couldn't tell them all apart. That really, really would not happen with City, but I think it prompts a much deeper conversation about the commidisation of football teams unrelated to physical proximity.

I've no issues with anyone being a fan of any team, but really? Being Londoners/southerners in such numbers and following Manchester United? Do people really not think about what that looks like, and what the Prem has now become? I recall reading that there are more United fans in Singapore than in the UK. That just doesn't seem healthy to me, and the idea that a club can be a 'brand' seems very wrong to me - and it doesn't just cover United. All the big clubs in the Prem, La Liga and elsewhere are equally guilty and it looks to me like the hijacking of football by big business in the worst possible way. It will not end well for anyone, least of all genuine fans.
This isn't that big of a thing. I have several friends who have a team they follow in different leagues. With Utd & Chelsea being so successful, they will attract people around the world. (One of my friends follows Coventry, Hibs & I think Malaga).
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I've been an Orient supporter since 1974 although there have been seasons a couple of decades ago when I hardly went. About 1999 I was so bogged down with work and my degree (library took precedence on Saturdays) that I didn't go for 4 years...until my son decided he wanted to go having seen all my old programmes around. Up until he moved away he'd been a season ticket holder and hardly missed a match

Anyway...come to him doing sports at secondary schools and they get asked who they support...Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal....Leyton Orient. And of course he was the only kid who actually went to games. Got a lot of kudos with the teacher over that.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

ErnstRemarx wrote:... All the big clubs in the Prem, La Liga and elsewhere are equally guilty and it looks to me like the hijacking of football by big business in the worst possible way. It will not end well for anyone, least of all genuine fans.
It's not just big business, Ernst, but our celebrity culture too. For example when I was a PTA member for my lads' primary school, a mate and fellow member got some land behind the school for a sports field and nature area. Its opening day was discussed during one of the meetings and a couple of the Mums suggested we get Lineker or Gazza; I suggested the local football club. They were literally 100yds or so away as the crow flies and had also won the FA Vase that year, but they decided to pursue the stars.

At the next meeting it was reported that they wanted 4 grand or something, maybe 2 I don't remember, so they decided to approach the local club, albeit unimportant I didn't get a mention in the minutes. Anyway they were great and wanted nothing and even provided sports equipment for good measure.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
What does he mean?
There are some (one?) ultra left separatists groups, probably referring to them joining SNP
Then there are these from the right
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... tists.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And these but as they are proscribed they would appear to be no longer active
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_N ... ation_Army" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've seen them blamed (not these ones in particular, groups just called "extreme") for being the cyber nats.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

I take no interest in the Prem. Championship's a much better league because it's so competitive. Anyone can beat anyone else. We've got relegated Blackpool on Tuesday but am I confident? Am I 'eck as like.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Another 'In the good old days'.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 68855.html

My son, my second child was born in '66. I had a personal midwife, Nurse Hall, from the time I tested positive. I saw her at the clinic. I had the choice to have him in hospital or at home. She paid a couple of home visits to make sure it was suitable to have him at home. She was there, as was the doctor while I was in Labour, they delivered him, and then she came in every day for ten days - twice a day for the first three days - after he was born.

In that instance, they were the good old days.