Sat 11 and Sun 12 April

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Sat 11 and Sun 12 April

Post by yahyah »

Another bizarre Nat ad.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ohsocynical wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Pouring down rain now.
I like it.
Clear blue skies, but very windy so cold, here.
Overcast and drizzly here. Drove up to Leeds earlier and had to contend with high winds as well.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

yahyah wrote:Image

Another bizarre Nat ad.
Is that actually real??? The typesetting is really odd and how much did they pay for the IP?
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Talking of Gove...him and Toady support QPR (although I'd love to know if that's just a coincidence and whether Toady supports them just because Mikey does).

88th minute goal from Fabragas...and QPR lose. Not looking good for them.
QPR were robbed & all because of an atrocious kick by Rob Green - muppet !

Ah well, here's hoping that by 6pm, my mighty reds have sent the blues back to the other side of the city with their tails between their legs.

#nerveskickingin #GULP
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

pk1 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Talking of Gove...him and Toady support QPR (although I'd love to know if that's just a coincidence and whether Toady supports them just because Mikey does).

Ah well, here's hoping that by 6pm, my mighty reds have sent the blues back to the other side of the city with their tails between their legs.

#nerveskickingin #GULP
I've got one neighbour who's a reds fan and one a blues.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

pk1 wrote:

#nerveskickingin #GULP
Speaking as a City inclined football watcher, I think that it'll be a United win at a canter, given City's dreadful form at the moment. Or maybe they'll have one of those days where they wake up and think "Wait a minute! We're meant to be quite good! Let's see if we can remember how we used to play".
WelshIan
Committee Member

Post by WelshIan »

yahyah wrote:
gilsey wrote:A rare article touching on one of my personal hobby horses.

Pitt’s rule for non-doms is only one tax that belongs in the dustbin of history
Heather Stewart
http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... of-history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Margaret Thatcher’s deeply regressive poll tax, abandoned in the face of mass public protest, was replaced with a council tax based on 1991 property values. It was never completely proportional, but the intention was for regular revaluations, so that the tax would keep pace with house-price inflation.

Yet successive governments wary of upsetting a key demographic – the comfortable homeowner – have repeatedly failed to carry out revaluations, despite rocketing prices. As the Institute for Fiscal Studies’ authoritative Mirrlees Review of Britain’s tax system put it, “any revaluation inevitably creates losers and winners – and losers tend to be very vocal”. It called the failure to revalue council tax bands, “one of the most egregious demonstrations of the ‘tyranny of the status quo’ as a block to desirable change”.
I would be very pleased if EdB announced on 8 May that the Mansion Tax would be temporary while they sorted out the council tax revaluation. Just Do It. (they won't)
Have to say council tax revaluation does scare me.
Council tax is already our largest outgoing, apart from food at, over £1,300 a year for a tiny house.
A massive hike in it, which could happen under revaluation, could be crippling.

What should happen should only apply to new purchases, that would be fairer surely, and allow people to budget for an increase when they buy ?
In Wales, in 2005, Council Tax was revalued and bands changed, including a new band I for properties worth over £424,000.

There was a legal requirement to revalue every 10 years, but the Tories cancelled this, and devolved it to the Welsh Government - the WG don't appear to have any plans to revalue currently.
A shame that an article saying no one would be brave enough to revalue council tax didn't say anything about the Welsh experience or the fact that it was meant to be carried out every 10 years!
This article from 2005 suggests that it went quite smoothly:
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2005 ... icfinances" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Is it tomorrow that the Conservatives publish their manifesto? My mind's gone blank.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Especially if Financial Fair Play is enforced. They stand to lose millions in fines.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Another bizarre Nat ad.
Everything about that is a bit odd ... or my mind is. I've got a yellow Migraleve tablet in dungarees wearing bottle glasses ... need I go on?
Working on the wild side.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PorFavor wrote:Is it tomorrow that the Conservatives publish their manifesto? My mind's gone blank.
IIRC it's Labour tomorrow

Cons Tuesday

LDs Wednesday
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Is it tomorrow that the Conservatives publish their manifesto? My mind's gone blank.
IIRC it's Labour tomorrow

Cons Tuesday

LDs Wednesday
Thank you!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

No they put it off till Tuesday so they could nit pick Labour's which is out tomorrow, to which I should have been going, but got hospital appointment through so can't :(
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tuesday - delayed by a day so they can do a "These policies are rubbish!" about Labour when they publish tomorrow.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I think tomorrow is Labour publishing their manifesto ... and the Conservatives have delayed their manifesto launch by a day to Tuesday so they have time to fully rubbish Labour's manifesto - and probably to adjust their own by adding in a few 'positive' or throwaway policies in response to Labour.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Snap Roger.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Ah, yes - the unpicking delay. How could I have forgotten that? Thanks, everyone, for your responses.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Tuesday - delayed by a day so they can do a "These policies are rubbish!" about Labour when they publish tomorrow.
Apparently it's Labour's fault that the Conservatives have moved their launch:
PaddyO madasballoons
4h ago
4 5

On Thursday morning, a tweet from the FT’s George Parker.

David Cameron to delay manifesto by launch 24 hours to next Tuesday. Tories say they want to "unpick" Lab manifesto, launched on Monday
10:51 AM - 9 Apr 2015

But by that evening:

A Tory source told the Press Association:

Labour tried to avoid scrutiny of their manifesto by doing it on the same day as ours. So we are moving ours. We want them to have a full day of scrutiny and we have a full day to tell people about our plans for a better future.

i suppose it depends who you believe: the Financial Times or the tories.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

step ‏@beatthesystem1 3 hrs3 hours ago

#Tesco paid £519m in tax last year but received £364m in public subsidy for its 209,000 low-paid workers.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
I think tomorrow is Labour publishing their manifesto ... and the Conservatives have delayed their manifesto launch by a day to Tuesday so they have time to fully rubbish Labour's manifesto - and probably to adjust their own by adding in a few 'positive' or throwaway policies in response to Labour.

"So what you do is wait until someone else hands in their homework and have a look at it first so you can change yours".
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Loved that diGriz.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Nick Clegg appearing in public with (fill in the blanks) David Laws? Not a good move, I would suggest.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tory MP lining up his future career. #gettingbattered :lol: fingers firmly crossed (Nutall)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

@ Ernst - Yay; @PK - boo!

@PK - Yay; @Ernst - boo!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

AngryAsWell wrote:Tory MP lining up his future career. #gettingbattered :lol: fingers firmly crossed (Nutall)

Needs to start practising his lines..."do you want salt and vinegar on your chips?"
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

''THE SNP could be “irrelevant” in the formation of a UK government, according to new data that indicates Labour would be able to lead an administration with the support of the Lib Dems.''

http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/snp-fac ... -1-3743115" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, be honest folks....SNP or the Lib Dems, which would you rather have if push comes to shove ?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tories ask where's the money coming from,

Easy peasy. Out of greedy employers pockets. Was going to say greedy buggers, but thought I'd better not.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:''THE SNP could be “irrelevant” in the formation of a UK government, according to new data that indicates Labour would be able to lead an administration with the support of the Lib Dems.''

http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/snp-fac ... -1-3743115" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, be honest folks....SNP or the Lib Dems, which would you rather have if push comes to shove ?
Actually LibDem. They'll say and agree to anything for a bit of power.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:''THE SNP could be “irrelevant” in the formation of a UK government, according to new data that indicates Labour would be able to lead an administration with the support of the Lib Dems.''

Yes - but it would give the SNP something to think about!
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Libdems,easy,for 2 reasons.
1)they won't cause any trouble
2)the joy of watching the Nat's realise that they won't have labour over a barrel and Ed telling them to fuck off.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Rebecca wrote:

Libdems,easy,for 2 reasons.
1)they won't cause any trouble
2)the joy of watching the Nat's realise that they won't have labour over a barrel and Ed telling them to fuck off.

2) is definitely a plus !

& Lib Dems & their voters are not generally as ranty and abusive as most Nats.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I still can't quite believe Clegg will lose his seat, tbh. His absence today suggests he shares that point of view.

Of course he, and I, could be wrong......
To be fair to him (bloody hell did I just say that?) party leaders tend not to do that much campaigning in their own constituencies because they rely on their national profile (and their large majority safe seat with accompanying army of campaigners) to do the job for them.

Clegg is in trouble though. The fact that Labour are anywhere near him in Sheffield Hallam is amazing in itself, that they might win it is astonishing. He's fronting it out right now by pretending that he's got nothing to worry about, hoping that if he doesn't look concerned then people will assume that they can't beat him.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

SNP of course. It would piss off the Tories royally. Libdums are Tories so I'd want nothing to do with them.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Another bizarre Nat ad.
Erm... do they have permission from Universal Pictures for that advert?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

frightful_oik wrote:

SNP of course. It would piss off the Tories royally. Libdums are Tories so I'd want nothing to do with them.

Five years of their sanctimonious posturing and game playing though....and all those sweary, aggressive supporters hiding behind Sturgeon's apron strings.
Not sure it would be worth the hassle tbh. Unless it showed the Sturgeon- mania brigade just how manipulative the SNP are.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Spacedone wrote:

Another bizarre Nat ad.
I went back to look for it, it came from a Plaid twitter feed so suspect it was actually a Plaid member's photoshop job.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

yahyah wrote:
Spacedone wrote:

Another bizarre Nat ad.
I went back to look for it, it came from a Plaid twitter feed so suspect it was actually a Plaid member's photoshop job.
That would explain it looking that shit.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

On the plaid thing, very naughty. The legal guys will catch up in the end.

Perhaps we should congratulate Universal for taking an interest in Welsh politics.
Release the Guardvarks.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Looks as if it is this chap who created it

PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tell you what. Let's compromise and just go for a workable majority.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

PorFavor wrote:Tell you what. Let's compromise and just go for a workable majority.
I will take anything that gets these Tory scum out of power.
Release the Guardvarks.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

"The SNP is the only party which is standing firmly against the Tories' austerity agenda. No wonder more and more people are moving away from a Labour party which has been far too quick to simply copy Tory policies - and are instead putting their faith in the SNP to stand up for Scotland's interests.
viewtopic.php?f=4&p=42793#p42793" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(I need a frankenstein or hulk emoticon for when someone says "scotland")

From a recent IQ test (!). Complete the following sequence:

a) Wee Jimmy Krankie
b) Box of lego
c) ...

(edited to apologise for brief but enjoyable moment of puerility)
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

How exactly will Sturgeon stand up to the Tories if the Tories form a government ?
Other than through posture ?

A vote for the SNP in a seat Labour can win is potentially a vote bringing us closer to a Tory government, no amount of Nat spin changes that.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

These Tories can't explain where the money would come from

I'm liking these adverts :lol:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

yahyah wrote:How exactly will Sturgeon stand up to the Tories if the Tories form a government ?
Other than through posture ?

A vote for the SNP in a seat Labour can win is potentially a vote bringing us closer to a Tory government, no amount of Nat spin changes that.
To be unreasonably fair to the Nats, gifting seats to the Tories isn't really an issue in Scotland. Their argument being they will never deal with the Tories (which I don't believe).
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Christopher Hope ‏@christopherhope · 6m6 minutes ago
Time to go tactical. Nigel Farage tells Ukippers to vote Conservative in seats that they can' t win.
By @emilygosden: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... t-win.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Christopher Hope ‏@christopherhope · 6m6 minutes ago
Time to go tactical. Nigel Farage tells Ukippers to vote Conservative in seats that they can' t win.
By @emilygosden: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... t-win.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
If only left wingers were as committed to a left wing government as right wingers are to a right wing one.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Nowhere in that does he actually say "vote Conservative" - that is Torygraph spin.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

graun blog wrote:George Osborne has said that the Tories will support the “basic human instinct” of parents to provide for their children by ensuring that family homes worth £1m will be taken out of inheritance tax.
Immediately brings to mind the charlie brooker comment about Cameron's debate notes and maintaining human form.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

ahem.......