Monday 13th April

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 13th April

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
pk1 wrote:Oh FFS, Allegra Stratton just said the Cons are to announce Right to Buy Housing Association homes !

Where the fucking hell are people who can't get or don't want to own a house, supposed to live ?

What the fucking hell is so wrong with renting ?!

:fire: :wall:
Bit pointless, how many housing association tenants can afford to buy?
Big enough discount, then lots can.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Another one for the Big Society.

Hey, housing charity. House these people the state can't be arsed with. No political campaigning. And we'll make you sell flats off cheap too.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
pk1 wrote:Oh FFS, Allegra Stratton just said the Cons are to announce Right to Buy Housing Association homes !

Where the fucking hell are people who can't get or don't want to own a house, supposed to live ?

What the fucking hell is so wrong with renting ?!

:fire: :wall:
Bit pointless, how many housing association tenants can afford to buy?
Big enough discount, then lots can.
70% maybe. How would that go down with the electorate?
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

In fact, right to buy is pointless as Labour would presumably just match the offer if the discount is really large. But interestingly such a targeted offer of money could surely come under treating?
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

More quality broadsheet stuff.

No quotation marks. No "Cameron:". And a headline about a a non existent SNP-LAB deal.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Would it have to be that much?

This is a Gloucestershire-based HA.

http://www.svhs.org.uk/article.asp?id=59" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would be surprised if too much a discount was needed to make lots of them affordable. They aren't really in expensive bits anyway.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

The usual print media BS there. I wonder how many people care about this sort of shit any more?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Having read the online version that policy really is barking. Homelessness will rocket, housing associations will shut down and any rental housing will cease to exist. It isn't the right to buy, it is how they are paying for it.

This is a declaration of war on the young and the exact opposite of what the country needs. It is one last desperate hit for the Tory right.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

http://www.svhs.org.uk/article.asp?id=59" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would be surprised if too much a discount was needed to make lots of them affordable. They aren't really in expensive bits anyway.
How many people in housing association properties have the credit rating, savings and stable job to get a mortgage?
Release the Guardvarks.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:More quality broadsheet stuff.

No quotation marks. No "Cameron:". And a headline about a a non existent SNP-LAB deal.
So, in a shock turn around, long time Tory supporting and Labour hating paper supports Tories and still hates Labour.

I, personally, am utterly shocked by this shocking revelation.

Next up, pro fox hunting rich people with heavy Tory links decide that Ed Miliband is not their ideal prime minister in a report that will lead Danny-boy "fucking" Hodges to prognosticate that this is, indeed, very bad news for Ed Miliband.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:In fact, right to buy is pointless as Labour would presumably just match the offer if the discount is really large. But interestingly such a targeted offer of money could surely come under treating?
Why not go the whole hog and give private tenants the right to buy at enormous discounts, too...

What's that? People own those houses? And that makes it different how, exactly, if you're going to make charities and non-profit organisations sell at way below market price? (Questions to imaginary Conservative politicians, not to you, @TE!)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

LadyCentauria wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:In fact, right to buy is pointless as Labour would presumably just match the offer if the discount is really large. But interestingly such a targeted offer of money could surely come under treating?
Why not go the whole hog and give private tenants the right to buy at enormous discounts, too...

What's that? People own those houses? And that makes it different how, exactly, if you're going to make charities and non-profit organisations sell at way below market price? (Questions to imaginary Conservative politicians, not to you, @TE!)
Well presumably the state has to pay the housing association the difference. So if Fred buys his home at £30K discount then the state has to pony up the £30k of tax payers money.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

That housing association policy is likely to alianate as many voters as it attracts. When the original right to buy came in in the 80s it was popular because so many people lived in council houses and could benefit from it. But nowadays, when in most places its impossible to get a social rent place unless you are absolutely desperate, its just going to piss off all those people who are already forced to pay excessive rent in the private sector. And all those people who have scrimped and saved for years to get a deposit together to buy at market prices. All those frothers on CiF who rant about they are "subsidising" council and housing association tenants are not going to be pleased.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Alan Travis ‏@alantravis40 28m28 minutes ago
Housing Assocs have warned deep right to buy discounts risk financial viability and could bring £60bn borrowings onto public balance sheet

Don't doubt the first bit, but the second bit wouldn't be a problem for Osborne. One off transfer, innit?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

PRTB and RTA offer discounts of between £10,000 and £77,000. http://www.svhs.org.uk/article.asp?id=106&realCat=114
PRTB is Preserved Right To Buy – from Local Authority housing being taken into SVHS' care and control – RTA is Right To Acquire, a different scheme but still Government-backed.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Barbara Keeley retweeted
Alex Hilton ‏@alexhilton 45m45 minutes ago
I don't believe Right to Buy extension to Housing Associations will be legal. It amounts to sequestration of private institutions' assets

teresa pearce retweeted
Tom Copley ‏@tomcopley 16m16 minutes ago
36% of homes sold under Right to Buy in London are now let out by private landlords. Same will happen to HA properties if RTB is extended

Barbara Keeley retweeted
J Wright ‏@Wright4ASW 22m22 minutes ago
Let's solve a huge shortage in social housing by... Selling them off. Absolutely unbelievable from the Tories. #Clueless
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

and for good measure
Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 25m25 minutes ago
Quite something politics. Tories now promising unfunded policies while Labour working hard at fully costing policies #topsyturvy
Working on the wild side.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

LadyCentauria wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

PRTB and RTA offer discounts of between £10,000 and £77,000. http://www.svhs.org.uk/article.asp?id=106&realCat=114
PRTB is Preserved Right To Buy – from Local Authority housing being taken into SVHS' care and control – RTA is Right To Acquire, a different scheme but still Government-backed.
Ah cheers.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

We rent a HA house so thought I'd look up their business.
Worthing Homes has 10,000 customers in the Sussex coastal area. We provide affordable rented homes, key worker accommodation, low-cost shared ownership, sheltered housing and new homes for local people. We are committed to providing great homes and nurturing communities.

As a registered provider and a registered charity, we are regulated by and accountable to the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA), a government body, for our actions and policies.
http://www.worthing-homes.org.uk/our-or ... /about-us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, a Con govt think they can force these charities to sell their properties to their tenants ????
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

pk1 wrote:We rent a HA house so thought I'd look up their business.
Worthing Homes has 10,000 customers in the Sussex coastal area. We provide affordable rented homes, key worker accommodation, low-cost shared ownership, sheltered housing and new homes for local people. We are committed to providing great homes and nurturing communities.

As a registered provider and a registered charity, we are regulated by and accountable to the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA), a government body, for our actions and policies.
http://www.worthing-homes.org.uk/our-or ... /about-us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, a Con govt think they can force these charities to sell their properties to their tenants ????
They do.

And cheap as well.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:and for good measure
Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 25m25 minutes ago
Quite something politics. Tories now promising unfunded policies while Labour working hard at fully costing policies #topsyturvy
Ashcroft, don't you purchase enough narrative formation as it is?
Tory penchant for monetising every aspect of life isn't Labour's goal.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Utter madness.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

They do.

And cheap as well.
Yep.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

LadyCentauria wrote:

Charities must be loving the Big Society. Do all the donkeywork, keep quiet, and then hand over your assets to swing voters.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Have a look at this page, which sets out Preserved Right To Buy and the Right To Acquire schemes rather more clearly than the SVHS pages did:
http://www.worthing-homes.org.uk/lookin ... your-home/

At the moment PRTB is a legal right for existing qualifying tenants but not others, whereas RTA is a voluntary scheme. I think the Cons are planning to morph them into one and the same thing. And I think it's a terrible idea.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, comrades
love
cJA
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Goodnight @cJA – sleep well :)
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Cameron is just a fucking useless 80s tribute act.

Singing the same repetitive tune.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

@LadyC

I entirely agree but this RTB combined with the exemption for NMW earners worries the life out of me for fear the gullible & the eternally stupid will fall for it.

If we had a media that felt compelled to tell their readers/viewers the truth, it might be different but.......:roll:
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

Just had a look at this story on the Mail, the thrilled tone of the article contrasts totally with the comments below. Every single one is negative, pretty much split between the "where are people supposed to live in the future" argument and the "why should housing association tenants get this discount when I've worked hard all my life and still can't afford a house" argument. A policy that manages to infuriate both the left and the right. The Cameron/Osborne genius strikes again.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ilies.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Tish wrote:Just had a look at this story on the Mail, the thrilled tone of the article contrasts totally with the comments below. Every single one is negative, pretty much split between the "where are people supposed to live in the future" argument and the "why should housing association tenants get this discount when I've worked hard all my life and still can't afford a house" argument. A policy that manages to infuriate both the left and the right. The Cameron/Osborne genius strikes again.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ilies.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do wonder, the key question is will the people it pisses off outnumber those who vote Tory for free money.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Cameron is just a fucking useless 80s tribute act.

Singing the same repetitive tune.
Yeah, but gay couples can sing along too this time!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

pk1 wrote:@LadyC

I entirely agree but this RTB combined with the exemption for NMW earners worries the life out of me for fear the gullible & the eternally stupid will fall for it.

If we had a media that felt compelled to tell their readers/viewers the truth, it might be different but.......:roll:
Totally with you on that, @pk1.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Tish wrote:Just had a look at this story on the Mail, the thrilled tone of the article contrasts totally with the comments below. Every single one is negative, pretty much split between the "where are people supposed to live in the future" argument and the "why should housing association tenants get this discount when I've worked hard all my life and still can't afford a house" argument. A policy that manages to infuriate both the left and the right. The Cameron/Osborne genius strikes again.

The subsidy will be funded by forcing councils to sell off their most expensive properties when they become vacant.
What? That'll fund the entire scheme, will it? Well, that'd be this estate entirely into private hands with none of the money benefitting the Borough Council. And they're already supposed to be 'selling off their most expensive properties' to fund something else, aren't they?
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Yep, getting a kicking, and very few are in support. When, as a Tory PM, you've lost Mail readers, you've lost.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

ErnstRemarx wrote:

Yep, getting a kicking, and very few are in support. When, as a Tory PM, you've lost Mail readers, you've lost.
I hope so.

nn all.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Goodnight, @diGriz - :sleep:
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ErnstRemarx wrote:

(My bold)

Oh I do hope that turns out to have been prophetic!

Did you get along to the Manifesto Launch, @Ernst?