Monday 13th April

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 13th April

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

ICM also has the Tories way ahead amongst C1/C2/D/E (social class) voters - double figure lead over Labour when it is normally the other way round.

Backs up a suspicion I have had for a while now - that phone polls are coming to the end of their usefulness.

There are still quite a few problems with internet surveys, but those will diminish over time as even older people generally get online.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

James Doleman (a freelance legal journalist) has Tweeted this -

"I understand Scottish trial of Andy Coulson on charges of perjury to be postponed until 11th.May"
and
"It appears decision to move Andy Coulson trial to day after election was taken during a last minute preliminary hearing this morning"

I wonder why?
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Showmaster has just attempted to post the information on the AC trial at the G.

Any posts using his name evaporate instantly.

I wonder why?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I am aware that, before a case is heard in court and information on it is freely available in the public domain, people must be careful about what they say or write.

However, reporting a fact known to be true which IS in the public domain is not any sort of crime nor does it influence the conduct or outcome of the trial itself.

It seems to me that there is a lot of paranoia around this individual.

I wonder why?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I am aware that, before a case is heard in court and information on it is freely available in the public domain, people must be careful about what they say or write.

However, reporting a fact known to be true which IS in the public domain is not any sort of crime nor does it influence the conduct or outcome of the trial itself.

It seems to me that there is a lot of paranoia around this individual.

I wonder why?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Whoops! Sorry about the double post there.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

How much will this cost the social security budget ??

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... nimum-wage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Conservatives appear to be drawing up plans to steal the thunder of their opponents by outflanking Labour and the Liberal Democrats over plans to exempt workers on the minimum wage from paying income tax.

A text intended for a senior aide to George Osborne, which has been passed to the Guardian, suggests the Tories are planning to make a fresh announcement on the minimum wage and tax in their manifesto due to be launched on Tuesday.

The text was sent by a No 10 aide on Sunday afternoon as the Tories made preparations for the launch of the Labour manifesto in Manchester. Ed Miliband pledged at the manifesto launch to accelerate a rise in the minimum wage to ensure it stands at £8 an hour by time of the 2020 election.
I said social security budget because that's the only one that ever gets hit !

There comes a point where it's just not possible to cut taxes everywhere.

How many more unfunded commitments will the gullible of this country swallow ?!
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

pk1 wrote:How much will this cost the social security budget ??

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... nimum-wage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Conservatives appear to be drawing up plans to steal the thunder of their opponents by outflanking Labour and the Liberal Democrats over plans to exempt workers on the minimum wage from paying income tax.

A text intended for a senior aide to George Osborne, which has been passed to the Guardian, suggests the Tories are planning to make a fresh announcement on the minimum wage and tax in their manifesto due to be launched on Tuesday.

The text was sent by a No 10 aide on Sunday afternoon as the Tories made preparations for the launch of the Labour manifesto in Manchester. Ed Miliband pledged at the manifesto launch to accelerate a rise in the minimum wage to ensure it stands at £8 an hour by time of the 2020 election.

If they raise the personal tax allowance to around 15k that'll achieve that. And if it happens to assist the top rate taxpayers even more that's a bonus....

I've never understood how this can be classed as progressive. It most certainly is not.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Ashcroft National Poll, 10-12 April: CON 33%, LAB 33%, LDEM 9%, UKIP 13%, GRN 6%.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Not that many, if you believe any pollster save ICM :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Ashcroft poll says Labour and Tories tied on 33%

Lord Ashcroft has just released the results of his latest poll. They are rather different from the ICM figures. (Guardian Election Blog)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ pk1

Whoops!
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

In case anyone didn't see Jo Coburn eviscerate Sajid Javid on the Daily Politics earlier:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

This is for TheGrimSqueaker - (from the Guardian Election Blog)
NicholasB
7m ago
0 1

Ashcroft poll has C:Lab equal 33:33:9:13:6. This is pretty well in line with the Weighted Moving Average.

The April 1 bounce for Labour is well and truly over - in fact there is ALMOST a short term trend in favour of the conservatives (R^2=0.78 but only 10 observations and I don't like to call a trend unless we have at least 12).
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Not something that will bother most, but the manifesto is full of typos. It isn't a long document, takes no time to read, and so should have been proof read to a much higher standard. Looks like this was being written right up to the last minute.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

PorFavor wrote:This is for TheGrimSqueaker - (from the Guardian Election Blog)
NicholasB
7m ago
0 1

Ashcroft poll has C:Lab equal 33:33:9:13:6. This is pretty well in line with the Weighted Moving Average.

The April 1 bounce for Labour is well and truly over - in fact there is ALMOST a short term trend in favour of the conservatives (R^2=0.78 but only 10 observations and I don't like to call a trend unless we have at least 12).
There is only a trend in favour of the Tories if you include outliers like this ICM poll, which he has claimed not to do; that was the reasoning for his introduction of clipping, to allow him to disregard the Labour leads that were inconveniently high. No great shock that he is applying a different standard to Tory poll leads. :toss:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

SpinningHugo wrote:Not something that will bother most, but the manifesto is full of typos. It isn't a long document, takes no time to read, and so should have been proof read to a much higher standard. Looks like this was being written right up to the last minute.
It bothers me.

(I still have my copy of the CPSA AGM motions booklet where the immortal words "The Civil and Pubic Services Association" are emblazoned across the first page. Please tell me it was nothing as bad as that.)

Er - edited to insert an Association
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

danesclose wrote:In case anyone didn't see Jo Coburn eviscerate Sajid Javid on the Daily Politics earlier:

:clap: Long term economic plan erm tough decisions erm hard-working families erm track record. Broken record more like. Some people actually think that pillock could be PM one day.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Local Election 2015: Bracknell Forest seats are all up for grabs

The Bracknell Forest Council local elections on Thursday, March 7, is an “all out” poll with every seat up for grabs.

The council has 42 seats - one of which is vacant.

There were 36 Conservatives , two Labour and three UKIP councillors before the election. All the UKIP councillors were elected at the last election as Conservatives and defected to UKIP.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local- ... st-9033674
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

frightful_oik wrote:
danesclose wrote:In case anyone didn't see Jo Coburn eviscerate Sajid Javid on the Daily Politics earlier:

:clap: Long term economic plan erm tough decisions erm hard-working families erm track record. Broken record more like. Some people actually think that pillock could be PM one day.
What surprised me most was how vicious Jo Coburn was with him. You could tell from her body language how annoyed she was (not looking a him whilst asking him questions, refusing to let him waffle on). It must have been a relief for Javid when Andrew Neil interjected to take the piss out of him
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Just to add that out of all those standing for a council seat, we haven't seen a single one from any party...
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Asked by Kay Burley which of the two parties would they rather work with, Ed Davey just said that
the LDs will talk to the party with the largest number of MPs
so finally we have a clear answer - not the most votes but the most MPs.

Wonder what excuse they will use for siding with the Cons when push comes to shove......maybe we should have a poll :lol:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Have just ordered the Labour wall posters. Although intended to hang on a wall I shall put one of them up in my large front window
I need the bigger size because I'm one floor up and I want to make sure it's seen.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

StephenDolan wrote:

If they raise the personal tax allowance to around 15k that'll achieve that. And if it happens to assist the top rate taxpayers even more that's a bonus....

I've never understood how this can be classed as progressive. It most certainly is not.

This is bilge.

The current NMW for workers over 21 is £6.70/hour, due to rise to £6.90/hour in October 2015.
That's 234.50 gross for a 35-hour week; £12,194 PA.
The current threshold is £10,600 PA, so tax is payable at 20% on the remaining £1,594.
That's £318.80 PA, or £6.13 a week.

People who work 30 hours or more may be entitled to working tax credits, housing benefit, other in-work support/benefits.
People who work less than 30 hours are already below the threshold (£10,100 at 29 hours) and pay no tax anyway.

The issue for most people on low wages, many of whom work part-time, is the cuts in tax credits and in-work benefits.
Since the coalition took office, families claiming tax credits and in-work support have lost on average £3,000 PA.

Any more pratting about with the income tax threshold will not benefit the low paid - unless they work full time, and even then they will only save about £5 a week; they are likely to lose more than that through rent and council tax increases alone.

We are spending £11 Billion on in-work benefits in the retail sector alone. That's double what we spend on Jobseekers Allowance.
People who want to work full time can't because their employers are not offering them the hours - thus saving employer's NI conts amongst other things. There are 300,000 people in the care sector on ZHCs who also need benefits to survive.

If the Tories raised the income tax threshold, you can bet your booty they'd cut the in-work support (again).
There may be more people in work, and the Tories and Libbing Dead may crow about most of them not paying tax - but the effect of this is millions living on the breadline, millions needing benefits even when they work full time, and no cash coming in from tax.

Beyond stupid.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

ephemerid wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:

This is bilge.

The current NMW for workers over 21 is £6.70/hour, due to rise to £6.90/hour in October 2015.
That's 234.50 gross for a 35-hour week; £12,194 PA.
The current threshold is £10,600 PA, so tax is payable at 20% on the remaining £1,594.
That's £318.80 PA, or £6.13 a week.

People who work 30 hours or more may be entitled to working tax credits, housing benefit, other in-work support/benefits.
People who work less than 30 hours are already below the threshold (£10,100 at 29 hours) and pay no tax anyway.

The issue for most people on low wages, many of whom work part-time, is the cuts in tax credits and in-work benefits.
Since the coalition took office, families claiming tax credits and in-work support have lost on average £3,000 PA.

Any more pratting about with the income tax threshold will not benefit the low paid - unless they work full time, and even then they will only save about £5 a week; they are likely to lose more than that through rent and council tax increases alone.

We are spending £11 Billion on in-work benefits in the retail sector alone. That's double what we spend on Jobseekers Allowance.
People who want to work full time can't because their employers are not offering them the hours - thus saving employer's NI conts amongst other things. There are 300,000 people in the care sector on ZHCs who also need benefits to survive.

If the Tories raised the income tax threshold, you can bet your booty they'd cut the in-work support (again).
There may be more people in work, and the Tories and Libbing Dead may crow about most of them not paying tax - but the effect of this is millions living on the breadline, millions needing benefits even when they work full time, and no cash coming in from tax.

Beyond stupid.
It would cost 2-3 bn by my fag packet calcs. But we shouldn't worry as we know what their track record is. Oh, wait...
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Nina Ricci heir convicted of tax evasion in France with help of HSBC: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/a ... lp-of-hsbc

Shall similar be happening here I wonder? I'm guessing not if Dave and George can help it but feel it unwise of them to try pulling any strings.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

OhSo - you are good. Thanks for Tweeting my figs. :-))
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I wonder sometimes how stupid some people are.

I find it almost impossible to believe that anyone who earns less than the average wage, rents their home, claims any benefit at all, has family with children hoping to go to uni, or uses the NHS at all, could vote for the Tories, Libbing Dead, or UKIP.

Greens, nationalists, I get that - I might not agree, but I can understand it. But the others? It's political seppuku, isn't it?

I hope the Great British electorate comes out to vote in higher numbers than last time. I appreciate that those who bothered in 2010 basically gave the entire political establishment the finger by returning a hung Parliament - ie. they didn't trust any of them to form a government - but this time I want a majority. Preferably Labour - but if not I will assume my fellow Brits are all complete morons.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
yahyah wrote:The Mail tried to ridicule Ed Balls by showing a pic of him with holding superhero t-shirt with 'SJ' on it.

The SJ referred to Super Josh, a charity campaign in memory of a lad who died of a brain tumour six months ago & Balls was helping the campaign.

His mum, Dawn Fidler, is understandably upset at the Mail and there is a call for the Mail to apologise and donate to the charity.

https://twitter.com/DawnFidler" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://twitter.com/hashtag/SuperJosh?src=hash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I posted a tweet with that picture here yesterday ... how on earth would that pic be considered a source of ridicule for Balls? It was tweeted out by the charity and Labour people as a measure of support for the charity and showing Balls out in Bury North supporting the candidate there. There's low and then there's Tory and Mail low.
The whole Super Josh thing was - and remains - a big thing in Bury, with even the execrable Bury Times getting behind it. I suspect that Mail sales will drop considerably, and if the Mail (or the Tories) think this is a good way to attack Labour, then they're in for a nasty surprise. Nuttall, I suspect, will be very much rueing it, as it'll probably cost him votes.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Just checking my new avatar.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

PorFavor wrote:
Tish wrote:Just seen this from last night, posted by diGriz:

"Sky Press Preview, Drip Girl left on chairs in hospital for five hours in tomorrow's Sun.

Nothing to link yet but it's damning.

[Edit] Due to no free beds, the woman on a drip-feed is draped over three chairs (seemingly in a waiting room) at Ashya hospital."

As it says "at Ashya hospital" I'm assuming that this is at Southampton General, but I can't find any coverage of this story on line. Has anybody read it, or seen a screen grab?
No - I can't find anything. And, yes, it is Southampton General.
I'm just catching up on the day but all the info given was straight from the Sun page paused on my TV.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... hours.html

[edit] beaten to it. I'm a bit rushed for time this evening :P
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Dog bites 3 fingers off Tory councillor out electioneering
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general ... ering.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That sounds awful, do hope the poor dog doesn't need a rabies shot.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I've just found this for your education and amusement...

George Osborne promises lower fuel duty when price of oil is high, higher duty when oil price falls

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/toryd ... borne.html
In one of his more politically important announcements since becoming Shadow Chancellor, George Osborne has promised to introduce relief for motorists facing a double whammy of higher fuel duty and higher oil prices.

At the moment fuel duty automatically goes up when the price of oil goes up. Under the Conservatives' "Fair fuel stabiliser" the duty will fall when the price of oil goes up. The quid pro quo, however, would see duties rise when oil prices fell back.
Yeah, right...of course they will...too interested in telling people that they're better off to think about government finances.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:Showmaster has just attempted to post the information on the AC trial at the G.

Any posts using his name evaporate instantly.

I wonder why?
Plenty of Tweets about it....
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

yahyah wrote:Dog bites 3 fingers off Tory councillor out electioneering
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general ... ering.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That sounds awful, do hope the poor dog doesn't need a rabies shot.
Oh you are norty, but I like you :lol:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

For Ephie, this may be why the trial of he who must not be mentioned has been delayed:

'Peter Jukes @peterjukes
No official reason for delay of Coulson trial till after election: but the potential contempt issues over Cameron role already a nightmare'

'Suspect, just as prior to #hackingtrial politicians had been warned not to mention Coulson during the campaign for contempt reasons.'

One of the things I read [can't remember if it was in Jukes' or Nick Davies' book], was that every morning of the hacking trial the defendants barristers tried to show that comments on Twitter and social media prejudiced the trial.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Excellent stuff. Javid simply ended up looking like a desperate, lying, repetitive tosser. The Facebook comments aren't kind either - except to Coburn, who did a bloody good job there. Probably the end of her BBC career, I imagine.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ErnstRemarx wrote:

Excellent stuff. Javid simply ended up looking like a desperate, lying, repetitive tosser. The Facebook comments aren't kind either - except to Coburn, who did a bloody good job there. Probably the end of her BBC career, I imagine.

Javid sounds like his piles are playing him up. The grumpy Tory act will hardly endear voters.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

ohsocynical wrote:Just to add that out of all those standing for a council seat, we haven't seen a single one from any party...
What is your own ward? They should have sent you something.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

Well, well, well, just trundled through the Grauns liveblog.

Still no mention of the Yougov poll. I'm sure they'll get 'round to it. Eventually.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Hobiejoe wrote:Well, well, well, just trundled through the Grauns liveblog.

Still no mention of the Yougov poll. I'm sure they'll get 'round to it. Eventually.
I wouldn't bet on it. Nick Watt's probably been having orgasms all afternoon.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Edited to add an "a"
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Do tell us more Tiny...have you been reading about the SNP again, or is it Watt's ejaculatory image that's done it ?
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
Hobiejoe wrote:Well, well, well, just trundled through the Grauns liveblog.

I wouldn't bet on it. Nick Watt's probably been having orgasms all afternoon.

Wintour sounded like he has a bit of a man crush on Ed tbh,thinks he looks prime ministerial etc.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Chris Ham, chief executive of the King’s Fund health think tank, has applauded Labour’s manifesto for its positive vision for health and care, but questioned the party’s refusal to commit to £8bn additional funding for the NHS.
It's inducing a scanners moment. (of the 80s sci fi variety)
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

frightful_oik wrote:Just checking my new avatar.

I say, Oik, that's really rather spiffing, what?

I am particularly impressed with the pointing.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

You can't beat a decent bit of pointing.

I have added this capability to my cv.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Am building up to fish.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Adam Boulton retweeted
General Election ‏@UKELECTIONS2015 15 mins15 minutes ago
#GE2015 Forecast by Election Trend Blog

LABOUR 279
CONSERVATIVES 270
SNP 59 (Yes! every seat)
LIBDEMS 18
OTHERS 24

http://ukgeneralelection2015.blogspot.c ... uk_13.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Hmm. Every seat to SNP?
Yesterday there was an old poll from March doing the rounds on Twitter as if it was the latest one.
Today polls are heavily into Tory leads. Something doesn't smell right to me.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I've just found this for your education and amusement...

George Osborne promises lower fuel duty when price of oil is high, higher duty when oil price falls

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/toryd ... borne.html
In one of his more politically important announcements since becoming Shadow Chancellor, George Osborne has promised to introduce relief for motorists facing a double whammy of higher fuel duty and higher oil prices.

At the moment fuel duty automatically goes up when the price of oil goes up. Under the Conservatives' "Fair fuel stabiliser" the duty will fall when the price of oil goes up. The quid pro quo, however, would see duties rise when oil prices fell back.
Yeah, right...of course they will...too interested in telling people that they're better off to think about government finances.
Nice one for the oil companies too. Stick the price up and have duty knocked off.