Tuesday 14th April

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 14th April

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
Analysis How old is David Cameron? We answer the most Googled queries about the party leaders (Guardian)
Yes. I often wonder about that. Especially during PMQs
Born in 1966
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

RobertSnozers wrote:Right to buy 'wrong in every way imaginable'

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2015 ... maginable/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've added a comment. That's a very good article.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Analysis How old is David Cameron? We answer the most Googled queries about the party leaders (Guardian)
Yes. I often wonder about that. Especially during PMQs
Born in 1966
Same as my son. But I definitely got the better child. :D
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Hello all.

Is it just me or have the Tories given up on a majority or even a sizeable minority? The policies they are coming out with now are so outlandish, so poorly worked through, that I can only assume that they are there purely to be jettisoned as a piece of post-election horse-trading as they work out a 'compromise' with the Libdems for coalition mark 2. Wouldn't be surprised if Cameron and Clegg have already come up with the "real" manifesto between them and all the rest is just dog whistles and window dressing for form's sake.

Edited because 'compromis' is clearly not a word.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Conservative manifesto pledges: what the experts say
Guardian writers analyse the key policy pledges unveiled by David Cameron

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Willow904 wrote:Hello all.

Is it just me or have the Tories given up on a majority or even a sizeable minority? The policies they are coming out with now are so outlandish, so poorly worked through, that I can only assume that they are there purely to be jettisoned as a piece of post-election horse-trading as they work out a 'compromise' with the Libdems for coalition mark 2. Wouldn't be surprised if Cameron and Clegg have already come up with the "real" manifesto between them and all the rest is just dog whistles and window dressing for form's sake.

It is in France I think. :D
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

frightful_oik wrote:I note that the pound is down against every other currency following the Tories' manifesto launch. Could just be coincidence of course.
http://www.bbc.com/news/business/market ... efault.stm
From a selfish POV, I want a hellishly strong pound until early August, as the three of us are going to Kos (first time abroad for the WeeBundle) and I intend to punish the local tavernas. When I'm being sensible, this subsides, but also the pseudo/amateur economist in me tells me instinctively that the markets are probably as unimpressed by the Tory manifesto as the folk at FTN Towers, its associated bars and speak easies, and of course its peerless cafe (today's special: Grilled Newt Au Lait).
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

utopiandreams wrote:Anyone seeing Liz Truss being trounced by Andrew Neil over house figures? Her only source of information was Eric Pickles; Andrew asked that he come and answer his questions then.
Yeah, a car crash like yesterday with Javid. Like lambs to the slaughter.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Apparently one of the "pledges" announced today, upgrade to the A11, was completed four months ago, that's an easy one to pledge.

They would have got away with that once, bit more difficult these days. Btw, anyone read the manic rant that passed for opinion in the Scum today? The old Australian bastard must be losing it.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Sajid Javid is a nasty piece of work, you can see the contempt he feels when interviewed, how dare I be questioned.. "We have a track record" was all he had to answer, funnily enough Matt Handjob kept repeating the same line. Two idiots lined up as Tory high fliers, such is the paucity of talent that is the modern Tory party..

Almost makes you laugh, but I won't, because I don't know where the election is going, a large proportion of this country are idiots, and they vote for them.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

I posted this elsewhere so excuse the copy & paste:

Yougov’s First Verdict App has posed the various policies & it currently shows from 2087 responses:

Which 3 do you like most:

HA RTB 13%
Childcare 31%
Rail fares 36%
EU Ref 32%
Tax threshold to 50k 34%
500 free schools 12%
NHS £8bn 70%
Trident 21%
Snoopers charter 16%
NOTA 7%

Do you:

Trust them more 17%
Trust them less 27%
No difference 56%

Party of working people ?

Yes 36%
No 56%
Dont know 8%

So by those reactions, HA RTB is hugely less popular than they might have expected it to be whilst the NHS funding is much more popular; this suggests the NHS may well be the deciding factor after all.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Apparently one of the "pledges" announced today, upgrade to the A11, was completed four months ago, that's an easy one to pledge.

They would have got away with that once, bit more difficult these days. Btw, anyone read the manic rant that passed for opinion in the Scum today? The old Australian bastard must be losing it.
Ummm, nope ! #dontbuytheScum

(whoops, must not make footy references or I will be ticked off again.....) ;)

Rest assured neither do I, Ashcroft tweeted a photo of it, whoever wrote that must felt the need to wash in a sheep dip afterwards, there again maybe not..
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

If anyone is listening to Mair interviewing Patel give us a run down, there's another to add to the list of dangerous fools.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Just seen one of those clever mixes of Nigel, Dave, Clegg and Ed singing 'I'll be there' on a Sky election trailer. I expect it'll be on YouTube at some point...
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Temulkar wrote:30 hours a week on minimum wage is £10452 pa. The personal allowance is already £10600. Is it me or the tories that have got their sums wrong.
Hi Tem! I'm chuffed to see you back here - how's tricks?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Elliot Dean ‏@Elliot__Dean 9 mins9 minutes ago
'Desperate' Tory plot to organise own letter from doctors exposed in bombshell leaked email http://buff.ly/1JEll7y

jolly_angelina ‏@jolly_angelina 4 mins4 minutes ago
.@Elliot__Dean Should have been a MUCH bigger story. Name on leaked email to RSVP is ex Lansley, ex Circle now Hunt's SpAd
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ronnie Carroll: Former Eurovision singe ... urn false;

Crikey, that's a name from the past. I didn't know he was into politics...
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Remember we had a debate on here a few weeks ago about whether ZHC exclusivity clauses had been banned, as so declared by various govt MPs ?

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2015/04/b ... more-52323" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like we were ahead of the curve again !

:clap:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:Ronnie Carroll: Former Eurovision singe ... urn false;

Crikey, that's a name from the past. I didn't know he was into politics...
I remember him from childhood - mainly because my mother couldn't stand him, for some reason. I think he was married to Millicent Martin at some point?

Edited to insert an "l"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

pk1 wrote:Remember we had a debate on here a few weeks ago about whether ZHC exclusivity clauses had been banned, as so declared by various govt MPs ?

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2015/04/b ... more-52323" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cameron repeated that lie during his Debate. Said they'd introduced it.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:Remember we had a debate on here a few weeks ago about whether ZHC exclusivity clauses had been banned, as so declared by various govt MPs ?

Yeees. About that track record . . . .

Edited to swap a comma for a full stop
Last edited by PorFavor on Tue 14 Apr, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

The LDs have published their manifesto costings separately to their main document which is to be revealed tomorrow:

http://www.libdemvoice.org/liberal-demo ... 45467.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I note it was embargoed until 10.15 on Sunday 12 April 2015 so I trust the media all have been scrutinising the detail so they can ask relevant questions at the launch....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Election 2015 live: John Prescott visits Esther McVey's seat Wirral West and all the latest from the campaign trail

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... tt-9038415
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

pk1 wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Apparently one of the "pledges" announced today, upgrade to the A11, was completed four months ago, that's an easy one to pledge.

Rest assured neither do I, Ashcroft tweeted a photo of it, whoever wrote that must felt the need to wash in a sheep dip afterwards, there again maybe not..
:?: :?: :?: How the heck did you manage to post under my name ?? I ended my post with the ;) but you managed to add onto it !

Seriously creepy.... :shock:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Labour should pursue the Zero Hours Contract thing. Competent? Truthful? Concerned that the "workers" should be rewarded and looked after?

I think not.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Green Vision for 2019.jpg
Robert Hutton retweeted
Matthew Holehouse ‏@mattholehouse 1h1 hour ago
Green manifesto postscript: life in 2019, when children giggle and the not-for-profit electric buses run on time
I hope the Green manifesto had a vision for something other than the metropolitan lifestyle this seems to reflect ... very little I can relate to in it.
A clever idea...Different and I like different.

Sorry if I sound picky now. I appreciate they've put a lot of thought into their manifesto, but as a vote catcher does it have wide enough appeal?
For all the soft focus green dream stuff I would rather have grumpy old Gordon Brown and his tax credits,now they really made a difference to me post divorce and back in the NHS,must have improved life for very many families.The difference between scraping along to pay the mortgage and being able to take the kids to pizza express for a treat and have a week in Southwold in the summer.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Rebecca wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Rebecca wrote: Sounds like a bloody fairy tale.
And children starting school age 7?Mine couldn't wait until they were 5!
In fact,my boy was at school part time at 4,for a gentle lead up to all day.He was so cross one day at being 'forced' to go home at midday he rang the fire brigade and told them he was trapped in the house.
I confess I became rhapsodic over the quiet public transportation system run not-for-profit.
Never going to happen though,especially by 2019?I know reality can be boring,but it is what it is.
That's the luxury of being a fringe party, you can promise giggles and fun and a windfarm on every hill in the land.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

pk1 wrote:
pk1 wrote:

:?: :?: :?: How the heck did you manage to post under my name ?? I ended my post with the ;) but you managed to add onto it !

No idea PK, on my phone, not that that should have anything to do with it.. :ugeek:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Heard the the Teresa May & Priti Patel's interviews, watched the Matthew Hancock video OhSo linked, and saw Javid squirm.

Am almost feeling sorry for them, being sent out to get grumpy and keep saying 'track record' over and over.

We've got a track record, we've got a track record, we've got a track record....we've got a track record....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

pk1 wrote:
pk1 wrote:

I think if you just type into the quote box, that would do it. Like this
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

ohsocynical wrote:
pk1 wrote:
pk1 wrote: Ummm, nope ! #dontbuytheScum

I think if you just type into the quote box, that would do it. Like this
Crikey, imagine the chaos one could cause if they had a mind to ! Thanks Ohso
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers 2 hrs2 hours ago
avg of all phone polls: Con 0.6% lead in Jan, 0.7% in Feb, 1.5% March. "'Crossover' was reached at the beginning of the year"

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 2 hrs2 hours ago
But @LordAshcroft phone poll today had 75th most vulnerable CON seat going to LAB

Reply to @MSmithsonPB

John Ruddy ‏@jruddy99 2 hrs2 hours ago
Cons obviously racking up votes in seats they already hold.

Ian ‏@Mancman10 1 hr1 hour ago
Labour are ahead in Hornsey&Wood Green which is target seat 93 out of 106

Simon Barnes ‏@sibarnes2000 6 mins6 minutes ago
that is a lib den seat though
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers 2 hrs2 hours ago
avg of all phone polls: Con 0.6% lead in Jan, 0.7% in Feb, 1.5% March. "'Crossover' was reached at the beginning of the year"

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 2 hrs2 hours ago
But @LordAshcroft phone poll today had 75th most vulnerable CON seat going to LAB

Reply to @MSmithsonPB

John Ruddy ‏@jruddy99 2 hrs2 hours ago
Cons obviously racking up votes in seats they already hold.

Ian ‏@Mancman10 1 hr1 hour ago
Labour are ahead in Hornsey&Wood Green which is target seat 93 out of 106

Simon Barnes ‏@sibarnes2000 6 mins6 minutes ago
that is a lib den seat though
Do hope they regain Hornsey & Wood Green.

I campaigned for Joyce Butler in the old Wood Green constituency back in 1974.
I do remember thinking, as a teenager then, what a randy bunch of men Labour chaps were !
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

RobertSnozers wrote:
pk1 wrote:The LDs have published their manifesto costings separately to their main document which is to be revealed tomorrow:

http://www.libdemvoice.org/liberal-demo ... 45467.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I note it was embargoed until 10.15 on Sunday 12 April 2015 so I trust the media all have been scrutinising the detail so they can ask relevant questions at the launch....
'Nick Watt, Guardian. Mr Clegg, following the Conservatives' commitment to The Good Life yesterday, can you tell us which well-loved figure from a 70s sitcom you most identify with?'
Watt achieved his goal though, because several papers (not just the Graun) are calling this "The Good Life Manifesto"; whether it was a desire to do a Nick Robinson-style setting of the agenda or whether it was at the behest of CCHQ is impossible to tell.

All, re. the not for profit buses thing, if you extrapolate what Michael Dugher has been saying about bus regulation (coupled with the promises to control train fares) then I suspect this may be partially on Labour's radar already; and the "silent buses" are, to an extent, already here in some places, courtesy of policies put in by Miliband last time around - a number of bus companies (and not just in London, we have them here too) have introduced hybrids to their fleet in order to meet emission targets, quite eerie when one of them glides toward you on battery power.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Willow904 wrote:Hello all.

I said to Mr Riots earlier that I could only assume the Right To Buy policy was a complete throwaway - something they know they will never actually be able to do. It's just designed to make a splash and get them more votes pre election ... but can never be delivered post election - and they know it.
Working on the wild side.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Sajid Javid is a nasty piece of work, you can see the contempt he feels when interviewed, how dare I be questioned.. "We have a track record" was all he had to answer, funnily enough Matt Handjob kept repeating the same line. Two idiots lined up as Tory high fliers, such is the paucity of talent that is the modern Tory party..

Almost makes you laugh, but I won't, because I don't know where the election is going, a large proportion of this country are idiots, and they vote for them.
They're all spouting the 'we have a track record' as the pathetic line when asked where the money for their pledges will be coming from.

I'm just waiting, praying, for some proper journalist to take the opportunity to give them back some of their 'track record' at them ---- the disastrous rail franchising exercise, the undersold Royal Mail, the huge waste on the IT to implement Universal Credit, the massive rise in housing benefit being paid, the disastrous outsourcing of the court interpretation service ....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
pk1 wrote:The LDs have published their manifesto costings separately to their main document which is to be revealed tomorrow:

'Nick Watt, Guardian. Mr Clegg, following the Conservatives' commitment to The Good Life yesterday, can you tell us which well-loved figure from a 70s sitcom you most identify with?'
Watt achieved his goal though, because several papers (not just the Graun) are calling this "The Good Life Manifesto"; whether it was a desire to do a Nick Robinson-style setting of the agenda or whether it was at the behest of CCHQ is impossible to tell.

All, re. the not for profit buses thing, if you extrapolate what Michael Dugher has been saying about bus regulation (coupled with the promises to control train fares) then I suspect this may be partially on Labour's radar already; and the "silent buses" are, to an extent, already here in some places, courtesy of policies put in by Miliband last time around - a number of bus companies (and not just in London, we have them here too) have introduced hybrids to their fleet in order to meet emission targets, quite eerie when one of them glides toward you on battery power.
We have environment friendly buses here in Bracknell. I believe they're quite hot on that in Reading too.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF :)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Robert Hutton @RobDotHutton

Guardian staff met today to decide who to back in the election. A reminder of how it went in 2010...
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I've been watching Wales Today on the BBC.

I have conjectured for some time that Pippa Bartolotti is hatstand barking mad, but now I know for sure. She's a very odd woman.

Evidently, Kermit was right. It isn't easy being green.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 2h2 hours ago
Matthew Engel on Cameron: "PM made speech without a trace of negativity. All the language smacked of springtime: “aspiration”, “ambition”.."
That's done it for me ... now I'm going to have 'Spring time in Ger man eee ....' marching around my head for the rest of the evening. The Producers - one of my favourite films ever.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

LD bus run out of steam ?

pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Robert Hutton @RobDotHutton

Guardian staff met today to decide who to back in the election. A reminder of how it went in 2010...
God, I hope they get it right this time. I can't blame them for being taken in by the LibDems in 2010 - I was. And let me be clear, backing the Greens would be making the same mistake.
I absolutely agree.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ephemerid wrote:I've been watching Wales Today on the BBC.

I have conjectured for some time that Pippa Bartolotti is hatstand barking mad, but now I know for sure. She's a very odd woman.

Evidently, Kermit was right. It isn't easy being green.
I had been holding off forming an opinion until I'd seen and read a bit more from her ... but I have to say I agree with you.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Goodnight, PF.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Adam Boulton retweeted
Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 2m2 minutes ago
Michael Gove tells #C4News the Conservatives only need to win 11,000 voters to win a majority. Do they know who the 11,000 are?
Eh? Has someone put some kind of happy slappy implant in Cameron ... he seems to be speeding along spouting out total guff - like a duracell bunny completely out of control.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Reading FC at Wembley: Fans criticise First Great Western over rail fares

Royals supporters heading to Wembley have been told they won't be able to purchase group save tickets into London on Saturday

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... se-9039512
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ReadiFood foodbank broken into as hundreds of pounds of supplies taken

Coffee, nappies and a generator among the items taken from the charity warehouse in Reading

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readin ... ds-9037348
Lowest of the low...