Tuesday 14th April

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 14th April

Post by ohsocynical »

RobertSnozers wrote:
yahyah wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:I hear the Tories are going to allow people to buy their own hospital bed if they've been waiting in A&E more than four hours
& allow them to rent it out to the next patient for profit ?
Well of course. We have to encourage that sort of aspiration and entrepreneurial spirit
Best money making scheme I've heard all year... :D
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Aren't there some quite serious ramifications if we don't meet the GDP expenditure figure on defence? I can't remember the details off the top of my head.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Not the track-record again. Didn't he see The Daily Politics, yesterday?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Nick Watt's 'question' to Cameron:
Q: [From the Guardian’s Nicholas Watt] All this mention of the Good Life, is this a return to the sunny Cameron of pre-2010. And do you see you and Samantha as the Tom and Barbara, or Margo and Jerry?
:toss:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

When people said we should change course economically, George Osborne said no. When people opposed her plans, Theresa May said no and did not give in. And when he was urged to ditch his welfare reform plans, Iain Duncan Smith said no too.
Maybe if OGRFG has shown real leadership, instead of letting his Cabinet use him as a doormat, they could all have been saved the embarrassment of the Courts eventually having to say "No".
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Shameful...What have we come to.

http://cambridge.tab.co.uk/2015/04/13/m ... cambridge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

A glorious day here BTW. Just finished mowing the grass and weeding at Cynical Towers...Haven't seen a single bumble bee yet though. :(
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:Shameful...What have we come to.

http://cambridge.tab.co.uk/2015/04/13/m ... cambridge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As I've just said in the Other Place, a couple of years ago a few of us said it was only a matter of time before the Tories looked at stitching coloured badges on clothing (to screams of "Godwin's Law" from the usual suspects); we thought it was very dark humour, it seems we were simply being prophetic.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

My voting card came yesterday. Waiting for my posh Labour posters to arrive. Now all I have to do is sort out my rosette..
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Roberto Robles @robertoroblesf

@chrishanretty interesting that on @Election4castUK SNP lead in Gordon down from 36% to 6%. Any particular reason? Is it the Yougov data?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Danny Alexander being - well, Danny Alexander, on the BBC.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

I note that the pound is down against every other currency following the Tories' manifesto launch. Could just be coincidence of course.
http://www.bbc.com/news/business/market ... efault.stm
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tax-free minimum wage - how will that work? It's an hourly rate. Is there to be an upper limit on the number of hours' work to be tax-free? (Just a bit of idle musing on my part - I'm thinking of the on-paper fiddles that could be possible.)

Edited to add -

What I'm trying to say, very badly, is that what is being proposed is not a "tax-free minimum wage" as such. It seems to be just a tax threshold thing. Or have I got the wrong end of the stick? To me it seems very messy.

Edited again to add an "is"
Last edited by PorFavor on Tue 14 Apr, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Anyone seeing Liz Truss being trounced by Andrew Neil over house figures? Her only source of information was Eric Pickles; Andrew asked that he come and answer his questions then.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Khan confirms Labour plans for automatic voter registration

Sadiq Khan Voter registration
It was alluded to in yesterday’s manifesto, but Sadiq Khan will today confirm that a Labour government would implement automatic voter registration.

http://labourlist.org/2015/04/khan-conf ... istration/
When you read all the things Labour are planning to do, you realise just how far this country has gone to the dogs under the Coalition.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Roberto Robles @robertoroblesf

@chrishanretty interesting that on @Election4castUK SNP lead in Gordon down from 36% to 6%. Any particular reason? Is it the Yougov data?
Gordon constituency don't want Alex Salmond.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tories in lying about who opens free schools non-chocker...
There are over 250 new free schools – set up and run by local people – delivering better education for the children who need it most.
There you go...national academy chains are now 'local people'.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Right-to-buy: What is it – and why are the Tories doomed to repeat the mistakes of Thatcher?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 74767.html
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

From AS Blog:
The Chartered Institute of Housing has launched a scathing attack on the Conservatives’ right to buy plans. This is from Gavin Smart, its deputy chief executive.

Extending right to buy to housing associations is not going to tackle the housing crisis – in fact it could make things worse for people on lower incomes who are already struggling to access a decent home at a price they can afford.

Individual tenants might benefit from the opportunity to own a home, but we would be very concerned that it would result in a dramatic loss of vital social and affordable housing. The Conservatives say that forcing councils to sell off their most valuable properties would fund this extension plus 400,000 new homes over five years – we fear the figures simply won’t stack up. And it could have a huge impact on councils’ ability to build new homes, particularly in more expensive areas like London and the south east, where it might actually make more sense for them to borrow against the value of these properties so they can fund more homes.

The Conservatives say each home sold under the extended right to buy would be replaced on a one-for-one basis – but we know this is not happening under the current scheme. Our research has shown that most authorities only expect to be able to replace half or fewer of the homes they sell under right to buy. And government figures show that between April 2012 and last September councils started or acquired 2,298 homes using right to buy receipts – just one for every 11 sold.
Is there anyone, except the Tories themselves, in favour of this?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Just found this blog...Very interesting.

http://www.howardleague.org/francescrookblog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

refitman wrote:From AS Blog:
The Chartered Institute of Housing has launched a scathing attack on the Conservatives’ right to buy plans. This is from Gavin Smart, its deputy chief executive.

Extending right to buy to housing associations is not going to tackle the housing crisis – in fact it could make things worse for people on lower incomes who are already struggling to access a decent home at a price they can afford.

Individual tenants might benefit from the opportunity to own a home, but we would be very concerned that it would result in a dramatic loss of vital social and affordable housing. The Conservatives say that forcing councils to sell off their most valuable properties would fund this extension plus 400,000 new homes over five years – we fear the figures simply won’t stack up. And it could have a huge impact on councils’ ability to build new homes, particularly in more expensive areas like London and the south east, where it might actually make more sense for them to borrow against the value of these properties so they can fund more homes.

The Conservatives say each home sold under the extended right to buy would be replaced on a one-for-one basis – but we know this is not happening under the current scheme. Our research has shown that most authorities only expect to be able to replace half or fewer of the homes they sell under right to buy. And government figures show that between April 2012 and last September councils started or acquired 2,298 homes using right to buy receipts – just one for every 11 sold.
Is there anyone, except the Tories themselves, in favour of this?

Some dippy woman on the BBC (vox pop) is.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Bloody hell, we've got both the lie about rail investment being the most since Victorian times and this...
Labour’s Great Recession weakened Britain on the world stage. They left a £38 billion black hole in the defence budget,
:fire: :toss:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

New #GE2015 forecast, after 5 national polls in 24hrs & new #Ashcroft polls.

Lab—274
Con—270

http://May2015.com/category/seat-calculator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Higher earners will benefit from tax free minimum wage law, Tories admit

The Conservatives have sent out more details of their plan to ensure that people on the minimum wage do not have to pay income tax. They are going to call it the tax free minimum wage law.

Higher-rate tax payers could also benefit, according to the briefing note the party has issued. In fact, even though it is being pitched as a law for those on the minimum wage, you could equally describe it as an anti-fiscal drag law. It would be nice to see a distributional impact; it could turn out that Telegraph readers (who are obsessed by fiscal drag, if the paper’s coverage is anything to go by) could be the real beneficiaries. (Guardian, Election Blog - my emphasis)
Oh, here we go . . . .

Edited - brackets
Last edited by PorFavor on Tue 14 Apr, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I've been looking through the classifieds and found an ad for the Good Life. If you want some porkers, substantial quantities of pig semen are available. Once I put my reading glasses on I determined that payment should be made to D.Cameron, 10 Downing Street, London SW1A 2AA.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

CCHQ Press Office ‏@CCHQPress 26m26 minutes ago
.@1millionhomes on our #RightToBuy announcement: pic.twitter.com/xQGvEmWCZo

Mark Ferguson.
‏@Markfergusonuk@CCHQPress Hang on, isn’t that the same @1millionhomes co-founded by Natalie Elphicke, wife of Tory MP Charlie Elphicke?

Simon ‏@simonk133 9m9 minutes ago
@Markfergusonuk @ianrobo1 @CCHQPress @1millionhomes Correct
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Perhaps I've misheard - but the Green Party has apparently had printed only a sort of "edited highlights" manifesto in order to save paper!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

PorFavor wrote:Perhaps I've misheard - but the Green Party has apparently had printed only a sort of "edited highlights" manifesto in order to save paper!

They'll make up for it in hot air.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I'm not sure how much I should be worrying.

Whenever the BBC does it's little vox-pop things (on the news or other programmes) I am not hearing anything good about Labour.

I don't know if the reporters are seeking out people who will not say they're voting Labour or if they are deliberately using Tory-inclined people for these reports. The DP blokes all seemed to be keen on telling us they're working people who want more tax breaks.

The there was that idiotic woman on the news just now who thinks extending RTB is a marvellous thing. I despair sometimes.
If this is what voters really think, we're stuffed.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Tax-free minimum wage - how will that work? It's an hourly rate. Is there to be an upper limit on the number of hours' work to be tax-free? (Just a bit of idle musing on my part - I'm thinking of the on-paper fiddles that could be possible.)
Tory 2015 Manifesto Jobs
We will:
help businesses to create two million new jobs, so we achieve full employment
give businesses the most competitive taxes of any major economy
back small firms with a major business rates review
support three million new apprenticeships, so young people acquire the skills to succeed
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/mani ... to2015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How does Tory policy giving big businesses greater tax breaks encourage businesses to hire anyone?
Businesses already have the lowest corporation tax in the EU.
The corporation tax rate is currently 23 per cent and will be reduced further to 20 per cent by 2015 – the lowest it has ever been in the UK, the lowest in the G7 and joint lowest in the G20.
The UK has completely changed the basis on which it taxes overseas profits, moving from a system of worldwide taxation to a broadly territorial system where the focus is on taxing profits in the UK.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... xation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Look to the last five years of what constitutes Tory employment for people without trust funds.
Tories helping businesses take on more Workfare staff?
Tory small business rates 'review'? What is that?

Labour's small business assistance policies are deliberate & specific because small businesses currently employ most employees in the UK.
Emphasis on the word, 'employee'.
http://www.labouremail.org.uk/files/upl ... 4ed07b.pdf

Tory apprenticeship have meant giving people newly redundant with decades experience in their professional capacity being hired as an apprentice shelf stacker at £2.73 an hour, for example.
Three million new apprenticeships.
Apprentice*
2014 (current rate) £2.73
Anyone in their first year as an apprentice is currently paid that amount
https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wages in the UK have done nothing but fall - the latest median wage information from the ONS I've seen shows the low wage trend occurring over a longer period of time but have absolutely stalled & reversed in many occupations during the Tory coalition government.
"Whatever stage of life you are at – whether you’re looking for your first job out of school, or
coming to the end of your career – we will work to help you enjoy the satisfaction and rewards
of a decent job."

- Tory Manifesto 2015
If the last five years is the Tory idea of bountiful, fulfilling employment for the population of the UK, forget it, it absolutely not good enough. I'm not feeling well.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rob Gershon ‏@Simplicitly 15 mins15 minutes ago
p58 of Con manifesto: "Scrap the Human Rights Act"

So, #ukhousing won't be able to 'sue' to stop houses being sold:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 75492.html

Housing associations say they'll sue if the Tories force them to sell off homes under Right To Buy

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Deep breath everyone....just because someone may benefit from a policy does it mean they will definitely vote for the party that proposes it ?

How many people in social housing are going to rush to the polls because of right to buy ?
& how many people in social housing may have a difficulty getting a mortgage because of being on low incomes or zero hours contracts or having poor credit histories ?

I'm not going to vote Tory because my household will benefit from their married allowance if re-elected, and can now buy Osborne's high interest pensioner bonds as my husband turns 65 in a few weeks. But I suppose a lot of people do vote directly to benefit themselves.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Peter Jones: Ridiculous, dangerous, unworkable

http://www.scotsman.com/news/peter-jone ... -1-3743849" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

ephemerid wrote:I'm not sure how much I should be worrying.

Whenever the BBC does it's little vox-pop things (on the news or other programmes) I am not hearing anything good about Labour.

I don't know if the reporters are seeking out people who will not say they're voting Labour or if they are deliberately using Tory-inclined people for these reports. The DP blokes all seemed to be keen on telling us they're working people who want more tax breaks.

The there was that idiotic woman on the news just now who thinks extending RTB is a marvellous thing. I despair sometimes.
If this is what voters really think, we're stuffed.
It's both Ephie. Next question. :D
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Bloody hell, we've got both the lie about rail investment being the most since Victorian times and this...
Labour’s Great Recession weakened Britain on the world stage. They left a £38 billion black hole in the defence budget,
:fire: :toss:
So just out & out full bore lying.
Game over.
Impossible.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

News Flash: Theresa May has awarded a shoe-shopping trip valued at £17,500 to Natalie Elphicke for services to the Tory Party.

Posted earlier under AS at the G, but see that ohsocynical has made it topical here too.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

utopiandreams wrote:News Flash: Theresa May has awarded a shoe-shopping trip valued at £17,500 to Natalie Elphicke for services to the Tory Party.

Posted earlier under AS at the G, but see that ohsocynical has made it topical here too.
You're not kidding me are you?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Check this little one out that's just been spotted.
We will complete the electoral register, by working to include more of the five million Britons who live abroad. We will introduce votes for life, scrapping the rule that bars British citizens who have lived abroad for more than 15 years from voting.
Bollocks to that - if you've emigrated 15 years or more ago, you made a choice that you don't want to be part of this country.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Stimulating housing supply - Government initiatives - Commons Library Standard Note
Published 09 December 2014 | Standard notes SN06416

This note summarises measures taken by the Government to increase housing supply.

The long-term failure of successive Governments to build enough housing to meet growing need is widely accepted.
The Government has not set targets for increasing housing supply while the Labour Party has committed to building 200,000 homes a year by 2020.
Reviews into housing supply include Government commissioned work led by Natalie Elphicke into the role that local authorities could play in increasing the supply of housing.
http://www.parliament.uk/business/publi ... nitiatives
FOREWORD BY NATALIE ELPHICKE AND KEITH HOUSE
In the years leading up to the recession, UK housebuilding failed to deliver the homes needed for our country. Through and beyond the recession, housebuilding contracted further. Government has made the building of new homes a priority. The planning system has been extensively reformed, infrastructure guarantees have been devised to support housebuilding, more than £18 billion of financial support has been given to housebuilding and to housing providers. The roles and responsibilities of councils have been transformed, through the Localism Act 2011 and the self financing settlement for council homes. Much has been achieved.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _FINAL.pdf
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

BBC on the manifesto launch "he[DC] brandished his glossy manifesto".

I hope it bore a sticker bearing the words "Do Not Bend".
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

PorFavor wrote:Perhaps I've misheard - but the Green Party has apparently had printed only a sort of "edited highlights" manifesto in order to save paper!
Sounds sensible. And one of their key proposals, a nationwide programme of home insulation, is a Miliband policy from six years ago; recycling, a central tenet of Green philosophy. :p

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... s-miliband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Check this little one out that's just been spotted.
We will complete the electoral register, by working to include more of the five million Britons who live abroad. We will introduce votes for life, scrapping the rule that bars British citizens who have lived abroad for more than 15 years from voting.
Bollocks to that - if you've emigrated 15 years or more ago, you made a choice that you don't want to be part of this country.
Agreed. I want to take this opportunity to thank you, RogerOThornhill. Never let it be said that government doesn't matter, they're all just the same. Not all governments are the same & not all governments are good for the country & people.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

PorFavor wrote:BBC on the manifesto launch "he[DC] brandished his glossy manifesto".

Is Julian Glover working for the BBC now ?
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

30 hours a week on minimum wage is £10452 pa. The personal allowance is already £10600. Is it me or the tories that have got their sums wrong.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:BBC on the manifesto launch "he[DC] brandished his glossy manifesto".

And washed his hands after...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Temulkar wrote:30 hours a week on minimum wage is £10452 pa. The personal allowance is already £10600. Is it me or the tories that have got their sums wrong.

Yes - thanks. I was trying to articulate earlier that it was all a bit murky.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Tories in lying about who opens free schools non-chocker...
There are over 250 new free schools – set up and run by local people – delivering better education for the children who need it most.
There you go...national academy chains are now 'local people'.
Whenever I hear a politician refer to "local people" these 2 spring to mind:
LoG.jpg
LoG.jpg (92.52 KiB) Viewed 7633 times
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Temulkar wrote:30 hours a week on minimum wage is £10452 pa. The personal allowance is already £10600. Is it me or the tories that have got their sums wrong.
I thought the same but my maths are so bad I wondered if it was me.

It's the same with selling social housing. Many who live in them are on such low wages they wouldn't get a sniff of a mortgage.
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

Post by onebuttonmonkey »

Again, here's something from the other place that I typed out furiously with you in mind.

So let’s look at the Tory attitude to housing, and to standing up for ordinary people.

1) If you’re a charity and are trying to provide some affordable housing for people priced out of renting and buying, then you’re clearly a selfish organisation standing in the way of opportunity. The Tories are bravely standing up to these terrible house-providing charities by compelling them to sell their assets at a loss. How dare people be robbed of the democratic opportunity to die, homeless, of pneumonia while sleeping on the streets!

2) As Right to Buy delivers an inevitable reduction in housing stock (because selling at a democratic loss means the nasty charities will be too selfish to then build at cost, the Trotskies) prices and rents will get even higher. This generous and laudatory capitalist principle will then rightly price out even more people who will then need housing benefit (which will be capped if you’re young) thus raising the already enormous housing benefit bill. Which is exactly the right initiative we need to use to blame more poor people for creating the housing price bubble, and – in the name of social justice - compel even 50 year olds to go back and live in a hovel with their parents.

3) Fortunately, this also means that the Tories are bravely standing up to the powerful group of… erm… poor people who for too long have had all the power in this country and who destroyed the economy, not like the virtuous bankers, who worked so hard they must be good people. And that’s why Cameron should be applauded for finally ignoring their vested interests and instead supporting poor put upon millionaire absentee landlords – like some 33% of their own MPs. It’s landlords who always struggle to get by, isn’t it, unlike those selfish tenants, whose inability to be able to afford a house is proof of their moral laxity.

4) And that's why compelling even more people to work without pay is the only way to help them get a roof over their heads. The perspicacity of IDS is matched only by his quite literally unstarting reservoirs of compassion.

5) Compassionate Conservatives will, however, make sure that millionaires with property portfolios, non-dom mansion owners and the like are exempted from having to pay any tax either on their assets – which they should be under no obligation to pay because fairness or something – or on the sale of these properties if they can get Stamp Duty rises through.

6) More importantly even than that, no matter how many houses they have, there’s no reason that a rich person’s money should be forced to live in the same country for tax purposes as the person themself lives. Expecting people who have lived here for years to pay tax here is communism and it’s brave of Cameron to recognise that only by removing all obligations from people in the same social set as you can poor people have the hope and the opportunity to succeed in whatever slum you’ve left them.

7) And never mind if you work your whole life on poverty wages never being able to afford to buy a house. The important thing is the Tories are bravely standing up for the right of £2m-property owners to pass on their assets entirely untaxed in the form of an inheritance. Because work pays, especially when it’s someone else’s work and you don’t have to pay any tax on all the money you earned by nothing more than being born to a well off family.

Well, I have to say, it’s true. The Tories really are the party of ordinary people*. I mean, just look at all these measures putting ordinary people first. There isn’t anyone who could look at their manifesto and conclude every single measure here is designed exclusively to benefit the already well off, is there?

*caution: what's ordinary to them is not equal to what's ordinary to you. This is your fault, not theirs, obviously.

Edit: added another scornful line about the property bubble.
Last edited by onebuttonmonkey on Tue 14 Apr, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.