Tuesday 14th April

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Tuesday 14th April

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

Can you imagine the uproar if the Conservatives pledged to force all private landlords to sell to their renters at a heavy discount?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 14th April

Post by yahyah »

Box my ears please someone, am feeling depressed this morning listening to Radio 4.

Tories reviving destructive Thatcher policies, and the siren voices of the Greens pull us closer to the rocks marked 'another five years of the Tories'.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

StephenDolan wrote:Morning all.

Can you imagine the uproar if the Conservatives pledged to force all private landlords to sell to their renters at a heavy discount?
Exactly. It is plain bizarre.
Maybe Labour should say they'd force the private landlords who now own 'right to buy' public housing to sell to their tenants.

& may I remind everyone, the Welsh Labour government has already introduced safeguards on 'right to buy' in areas of housing shortage, and has promised to scrap it altogether if they gain a majority at the Senedd in 2016.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Ashcroft's info on marginals, 3 gains for Labour.

tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Rachel Sylvester, writing in the Times (paywall),
says the Tories desperately need a positive song to
sing .

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/c ... 410194.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It ain't over til the fat lardy swings.
(sorry, i.meant fat lady sings,
damn that predictive texting)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Teresa May having a terrible time trying to explain the new steal a housing association home and give it away for votes policy. Humphreys is actually giving her a bit of a grilling. He's asked her about the unfairness of the policy for those renting privately .... no answer from her. He's asked her where the money for compensating the housing associations for selling their properties at way under market value is coming from. It's coming from them telling local authorities to sell of their most expensive property / stock apparently. But when asked she had no idea how much that would raise. And as far as I can see that's more pauperising of the local authorities - it's not a central govt funded cost. She's floundering. Still no answer for where the extra 8 billion annually for the NHS is coming from.

And now Humphreys is asking her about the 'nasty' party - and she's trying hard to avoid it - unsuccessfully. She keeps going away from what Michael Fallon said - clearly doesn't want to address it.

Morning all.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jim Pickard retweeted
Jules Birch ‏@jules_birch 5m5 minutes ago
Theresa May sounds like she was briefed about this right to buy in the taxi on the way to the Today programme studio
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire 14m14 minutes ago
Right to Buy is Right to Steal by the Government says @RevRichardColes who sits on a Housing Assoc. Not Cameron's to sell
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

RobertSnozers wrote:I hear the Tories are going to allow people to buy their own hospital bed if they've been waiting in A&E more than four hours
& allow them to rent it out to the next patient for profit ?
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

I want the right to buy my privately owned flat. Why can't I?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

May2015 Election ‏@May2015NS 13m13 minutes ago
Wow. Labour are beating Tories on the ground in every single seat #Ashcroft polled last week. Not even close.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

For those who've been worried about Toby L, he's BTL on AS's blog today.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Nice punchy explanation of the stupidity of latest 'right to buy' foolishness

http://www.housing.org.uk/media/blog/ex ... tractions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A free pony policy if ever I saw one.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Extending Right to Buy to housing associations and other distractions
http://www.housing.org.uk/media/blog/ex ... tractions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Response to Tories' latest stupid evil from the chief of the National Housing Federation. He completely debunks any and all of their attempts at justifying it as either fair or deliverable - let alone legal.
All the efforts of housing associations, local authorities and others are geared towards ending this housing crisis by building new homes and regenerating existing homes where that is the best solution. The Right to Buy makes that more difficult. For those housing associations that already have the preserved RTB, the discounts of up to £102,500 make the government’s commitment to 1-1 replacement a hollow joke. Here’s just one example. Phoenix Community Housing in London recently sold a home worth £210,000 on the open market for just over half of that. From the proceeds, some went back to the Treasury, some to the local authority leaving a receipt of just £27,000. Have you tried building a new home for £27,000?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Richard Coles @RevRichardColes · 1h 1 hour ago
So a Housing Association, like @WHOMES_HR on whose board I sit, goes to the market, raises finance, does deals with contractors and...(1/3)

....builds urgently needed units for people to live in at social rents and then the government forces us to sell them off at a 35%...(2/3)

.... discount. That's #righttobuy ? Sounds like Right to Steal to me.

These homes, btw, were built AFTER the transfer of local authority stock to the Association and never were council houses.

@Darren_Fewins Maybe indeed - my point is that the government does not own these assets so how can it sell them? #righttobuy

@John_J_C_Moss @RachelAFisher But John by what 'right' goes the govt sell off assets which don't belong to it?

Richard Coles @RevRichardColes · 58m 58 minutes ago
@John_J_C_Moss @RachelAFisher Some HCA grant funding sure, but how does that confer title? And we're building 500 new homes post Transfer.

Richard Coles @RevRichardColes · 56m 56 minutes ago
@Robert_J_M_T @redrumlisa But these properties belong to the Housing Associations!

Richard Coles @RevRichardColes · 23m 23 minutes ago
@rac240464 @Kevin_Maguire Nearly all of the finance for our new build comes from the banks, not the HCA.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

David Orr
‏@natfedDavid
To be clear Teresa May @BBCr4today we did not assume all would buy at once. Our figures detailed and conservative. Where can we find yours?

https://twitter.com/natfedDavid/status/ ... 9442446336
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

mikems wrote:I want the right to buy my privately owned flat. Why can't I?
Hey, comrade, I like your question. Can you imagine the look on Dave's face when his London tenants give him 30% of market value on their digs & calling it good? Or Richard Benyon? Richard Benyon's property portfolio crisis!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Richard Coles @RevRichardColes · 23m 23 minutes ago
@rac240464 @Kevin_Maguire Nearly all of the finance for our new build comes from the banks, not the HCA.
(my bold)
Thanks for these notes, RR2.
Oh, dear.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

They had an extra day to think about it...and came up with this load of old cobblers.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

yahyah wrote:Ashcroft's info on marginals, 3 gains for Labour.

Three gains, two ties, two more in play. Not bad for seats needing a 5% swing or more :)

Rees-Mogg does seem rather disconcertingly popular, though........
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

That Lynton Crosby is a political genius.

We should get a banner made up, like the Liverpool fans did.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I'd advise Tiny to avoid Cif today. Greens nearly as mind exploding as extreme Nats.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

mikems wrote:They had an extra day to think about it...and came up with this load of old cobblers.
Have only just caught up with what's happening.

Re the right to buy. It sounds rather like a Communist solution to me. It's what they'd be saying if Labour had come up with it.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
WelshIan
Committee Member

Post by WelshIan »

Morning everyone.

I haven't watched Newsnight in a long time, but watched most of it last night after Jack Dee's rather poor election 'comedy' panel show (including the now obligatory dig at Ed M).

Allegra Stratton on the Labour manifesto was rather sneery, especially the end where she said something along the lines of 'well, at least Ed Miliband tried'. Then we had the pleasure of Kirsty Wark interrupting and talking over Tristram Hunt. There was a nice moment in the interview though, where she mentioned Nick Clegg and Hunty had to visibly stop himself from laughing out loud.
Funnily enough, she let him talk when he was struggling with the volunteer child care at primary schools (mainly on the cost of DBS checks, etc).

I won't be watching again, and the BBC have likely lost me for Election Night. Anyone got any views on which would be the best channel to watch?
FuriousGeorge
Backbencher

Post by FuriousGeorge »

WelshIan wrote:Morning everyone.

I haven't watched Newsnight in a long time, but watched most of it last night after Jack Dee's rather poor election 'comedy' panel show (including the now obligatory dig at Ed M).

Allegra Stratton on the Labour manifesto was rather sneery, especially the end where she said something along the lines of 'well, at least Ed Miliband tried'. Then we had the pleasure of Kirsty Wark interrupting and talking over Tristram Hunt. There was a nice moment in the interview though, where she mentioned Nick Clegg and Hunty had to visibly stop himself from laughing out loud.
Funnily enough, she let him talk when he was struggling with the volunteer child care at primary schools (mainly on the cost of DBS checks, etc).

I won't be watching again, and the BBC have likely lost me for Election Night. Anyone got any views on which would be the best channel to watch?
I never thought I would say this but I have started watching Sky News recently. I dunno whether they have just given up but I have found that whilst they still have bias they are a lot more balanced than the BBC is now.

And I never thought I would say that in a million years.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I would like to be a fly on the wall of Bracknell Forest Homes this morning.

Bracknell council handed over all their stock and supporting departments [repairs, groundwork] to them. I happen to know there are some avid Tories running Bracknell Forest Homes and they do very nicely when it comes to working conditions etc - That's office staff, not the blue collar workers.

The council still manages waiting lists. Huge already.

I'm still pondering all the scenarios. One likely outcome would be less homes to manage = reducing staff. That won't please them.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

yahyah wrote:Ashcroft's info on marginals, 3 gains for Labour.

Something awfully satisfying that one of those projected Labour gains is Thatcher's old seat. The psychological value of taking that seat should not be underestimated.

Re. the Gidiot's latest give away, nice to see it unraveling within the allotted time frame; great start to their manifesto launch day, announce a flashy policy that is so crass even John Humphreys thinks it a step too far. Well done to the Reverend Richard, he is 'Good People' and not the lightweight some mistake him for, as the Tories are finding out to their cost this morning.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Recently read that most BTL landlords are buying on interest only mortgages. What happens when interest rates rise, as they inevitably will at some point?
They'll be wanting to unload their properties, and if Tories get back in and make social housing dead cheap will the two combined bring property prices down creating negative equity for private buyers who've also taken advantage of the low interest rates?

Whatever happens I would be very hesitant to invest in a property right now and if I were a BTL landlord, I'd be thinking of unloading my portfolio, or at least slimming it down while prices are high.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

David Schneider ‏@davidschneider · 11h11 hours ago
Telegraph: "Tories are the party of working people". In other news, lions are the Health & Safety team for antelopes.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Something else I've thought of. If Tories get in ZH and low paid work will become even more widespread. If he's going to tax benefits, they're going to be worse off than now.
Even with huge discounts there's no way most of those poor souls will qualify for a mortgage, or is George going to fiddle around with that too.
FuriousGeorge
Backbencher

Post by FuriousGeorge »

Did the tories remove the requirement on developers to build a certain % of affordable homes on new builds? Seem to remember something about that somewhere.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

It shouldn't be too difficult to demolish this latest cunning plan re housing. Appalling though I find this latest wheeze (which is, or at least borders on the, illegal) I'm rather glad and relieved that this is the best that they could come up with. It should be easy to explain, simply, why this is such a crap idea - repeating, as it does, the mistakes of the past (Einstein supposedly had something to say on this).

Let's get "unpicking".
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Right to buy had such bad consequences.
My kids went to a village primary school.Very expensive area,within grammar school catchment.
Council houses discreetly tucked away,bought for as little as 30,000.00
Now all have changed hands,average of 250,000.And,of course,local rural families kids grow up and can't afford to buy or rent a home.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've seen the cover of the Tory manifesto.
David Cameron ✔ @David_Cameron
This is the cover of our manifesto.
At its heart is a simple proposition: security at every stage of your life.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/liv ... 9b1f5e46ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll look for the contents of the Tory manifesto for 2015 now.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

FuriousGeorge wrote:Did the tories remove the requirement on developers to build a certain % of affordable homes on new builds? Seem to remember something about that somewhere.
Yep, FuriousGeorge, you're absolutely correct. I'm still looking for the Tory manifesto, by the way.
22 April 2014
The leadership of Milton Keynes has said the decision to water down the affordable homes requirement for developers has ‘swung the balance much too far in favour of the developers’.

The deputy leader of a Conservative council attacked the government for ‘storing up problems for the future’ by allowing developers to scrap affordable homes to protect profits.

Council figures show the town will build 500 fewer affordable homes over the next five years because of the amendments 12 months ago to planning laws. An example given by the council was the re-submission of a development, which was scheduled to have 63 affordable homes, with no affordable homes on the grounds of profitability.

Emma Reynolds, shadow housing minister, said to the Guardian: ‘There is a massive shortage of affordable homes across the country. Now even leading Tory councillors are attacking their own government for their failed housing policies.’

The news comes after the planning minister admitted the government will not set an affordable housing target for its new wave of garden cities and instead planning decisions will be ‘locally-led’ with the decision over the number of affordable homes falling to councils.

Local authorities’ power to demand affordable housing in developments was significantly weakened by the introduction of ‘viability testing’ which allows developers to reduce or remove affordable homes if it would make the scheme unprofitable.

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/governme ... 33.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

This just out from Labour Shadow Housing Minister, Emma Reynolds:
“This is yet another uncosted, unfunded and unbelievable announcement from the Tories.

“Having exhausted the magic money tree, the Tories now want people to believe that they can magic up billions of pounds a year from selling off a few council homes. Last year that raised just over £100 million, while this policy costs £4.5 billion a year.

“Under David Cameron home ownership is at its lowest point for three decades – there are over 200,000 fewer home owners since 2010.

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1163320 ... d-unfunded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RobertSnozers wrote:
yahyah wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:I hear the Tories are going to allow people to buy their own hospital bed if they've been waiting in A&E more than four hours
& allow them to rent it out to the next patient for profit ?
Well of course. We have to encourage that sort of aspiration and entrepreneurial spirit
Egads, RobertSnozers, quit writing the Tory manifesto, will you!
FuriousGeorge
Backbencher

Post by FuriousGeorge »

Good to see Lynton is coming up with imaginative fresh ideas!

http://labourlist.org/2015/04/where-hav ... -familiar/

Will take down images if theres any copyright issues.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I hear Grant Shapps' printers have received a rush order. With little time to spare he's been asked to provide all the electoral voting slips for the General Election. Should you put an X in the Conservative box you shall be entered into a free draw. Cash prizes available at tax-payers expense.

No more ridiculous than giving away 35-50% of housing association properties and rather less sneaky than giving government contracts at advantageous rates to their party donors.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I see they're trying to keep some ministers well-hidden away for fear of scaring the voters...at the BM this morning.
Nick Boles - standing in for Matt Hancock - for the Conservatives said some “big global corporations are taking the mickey” in relation to tax avoidance. To the audience of accountants and business bosses he suggested they ask a nurse before adopting a tax avoidance strategy. If she gets angry then you probably shouldn’t do it, he said.
He really is utterly useless. And Boles isn't much better...I'm sure that'll be taken to heart by multi-nationals.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I think I saw (I can't find it at the mo), over at the Guardian, that Frank Field thinks this "right to buy" thing is a good idea.

I take back all I said, then . . . .
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:I think I saw (I can't find it at the mo), over at the Guardian, that Frank Field thinks this "right to buy" thing is a good idea.

I take back all I said, then . . . .
He's probably got the paperwork ready to give every former Tory MP landlord the scare of their lives.

Everything must go! All property discounted 70%! Own your former Tory MP landlord property today!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Conservative manifesto - Early highlights
Here are some early highlights from the Tory manifesto. Journalists have only had it in their hands for a few minutes.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/liv ... 9b1f5e46ff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Sacred Tory Holy Scroll Manifesto 2015
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Morning

Iain Martin @iainmartin1
Follow
Tory manifesto: "We have a plan for every stage of your life." Isn't that the Chinese Communist party?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

How do you "overturn what's inevitable"? (David Cameron's manifesto launch speech)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Oh - and more tax cuts? This £8 bn for the NHS is getting to be more of a scotch mist by the second.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

'Overturn what's inevitable' - Cameron
That's just plain scary, PorFavor.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Nick Clegg's "alarm clock Britain" is resurrected by David Cameron.

At least he's managed to stagger through this without mentioning his son, Ivan.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RobertSnozers wrote:Right to buy 'wrong in every way imaginable'

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2015 ... maginable/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes - good, isn't it?