Wednesday 15th April

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Re: Wednesday 15th April

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:@CitizenJA

Think this might interest you.

http://www.clientearth.org/news/press-r ... -2015-2821
Of interest to me too, so thanks :) It's been one of my favourite buildings since I was a child – and has a café that (last time I visited) had surprisingly proper-caff prices for the centre of London. Come the revolution, I'll be claiming it as my castle but see no obstacle to sharing it with the Supreme Court because I don't really take up an awful lot of room so could create a perfectly decent flat up in the tower and the adjoining part of the attic storey. Of course, you'd all be welcome to stay.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: So you're into corparatism. Ever read any Naomi Wolf?
Or Naomi Klein :wink:
Bugger!
The Shock Doctrine, can't explain how deep an impression that book has had on me (and others I've cajoled into reading it). This Changes Everything is queued up after my current read.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Just come back from having fun on AS blog at the G and am rather surprised that nobody's commented on Evan Davis interviewing Cameron. Putting it politely I could say that Dave lacked decorum; an angry man spouting rubbish. He can't have won many over behaving like that.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Am struggling to get to grips with the fact that the Scots voted to stay in the Union, and yet are genuinely prepared to vote for a Tory/UKIP coalition (by depriving Labour of the seats they need). Do they basically just want UK on standby to bail them out if necessary or what?

http://news.sky.com/story/1464052/accid ... poll-boost" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Wed 15 Apr, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

This is an outrage.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 79718.html

We simply no longer live in a democracy.

The fact the Greens are going along with this charade is also shocking. Bennett (Australian) colluding with two politicians who want to break up the UK.

Meanwhile the BBC gives the Tories a free shot in the interests of balance.
Release the Guardvarks.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Goodnight, PF – sweet dreams :)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:This is an outrage.

The fact the Greens are going along with this charade is also shocking. Bennett (Australian) colluding with two politicians who want to break up the UK.

I agree TE. An outrage. So the Tories and Lib Dems get the opportunity to rubbish Miliband - because that's who they will rubbish - despite refusing to participate in the event proper.
Working on the wild side.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

But a Tory source said they should be able to put their side of the argument. “This is a desperate tactic to distract from the fact that the pressure is on Miliband,” they said. “It is entirely right and proper that we should be there. We might just send Michael Fallon.”
The size of the balls on these people is amazing.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Spacedone wrote:

But a Tory source said they should be able to put their side of the argument. “This is a desperate tactic to distract from the fact that the pressure is on Miliband,” they said. “It is entirely right and proper that we should be there. We might just send Michael Fallon.”
I hope they do send Fallon, because I think every time he opens his mouth he costs them votes.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

LadyCentauria wrote:

Of interest to me too, so thanks :) It's been one of my favourite buildings since I was a child – and has a café that (last time I visited) had surprisingly proper-caff prices for the centre of London. Come the revolution, I'll be claiming it as my castle but see no obstacle to sharing it with the Supreme Court because I don't really take up an awful lot of room so could create a perfectly decent flat up in the tower and the adjoining part of the attic storey. Of course, you'd all be welcome to stay.
I'm delighted by your hospitality & will bring a home-made carrot cake if that meets with your approval.

Currently, the only functional air pollution monitors in the UK are located around London at the time of this post.
http://aqicn.org/city/united-kingdom/le ... new-cross/

I've not been able to track down pollution data for the rest of the UK for several days. The BBC Weather site Ohso was good enough to link doesn't provide the data I'm usually able to get from real-time Air Quality Index linked above or from the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA) linked below. The website has had the following message on its website for as long as I've been without air pollution monitor data.
The UK-AIR website is currently offline. We are working to resolve this as soon as possible and apologise for any inconvenience.
http://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/
That site is worth a visit if only to marvel at the optimism the forecasts start with only to leave readers with a final observation high levels of pollution may occur. Perhaps the monitors have been turned off so that tomorrow's Supreme Court Appeal (details posted below) may go on with as little verifiable data as possible; continuing the method of voodoo governance the last five years of Tory coalition leadership are renown for providing the people & country.
Thursday 16 April 2015
Court 1
10:30
R (on the application of ClientEarth) (Appellant) v Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Respondent)
Whether, as regards areas where compliance with nitrogen dioxide limits set out in Directive 2008/50/EC (the Air Quality Directive) could not be achieved by 1 January 2010, the Air Quality Directive requires the respondent to have prepared an air quality plan which demonstrates compliance by 1 January 2015. If so, what remedies must the Court provide where the respondent has not prepared an air quality plan which demonstrates compliance by 1 January 2015?
https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2012-0179.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Well, well, well ......

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3745309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Spacedone wrote:
I hope they do send Fallon, because I think every time he opens his mouth he costs them votes.
Conservative strategists will be given privileged access to “spin” the result of the second televised election debate – even though David Cameron has refused to take part in the event, The Independent has learnt.

The BBC has agreed to allow Tory representatives to attend the debate at Methodist Central Hall in London and provide them with access to journalists who will be covering it. The spin doctors will also be interviewed in a live debate “reaction” programme after the main event finishes.
Like a bad made-for-television film littered with talentless actors - oh wait - that's the last five years of Tory led coalition government.
Anybody voting Tory is making a mistake.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Goodnight, PF.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I agree wholeheartedly - it's outrageous. What - if anything - can be done by Labour about this? I expect nothing can be done, but am lividly thinking they should pull out on the grounds of outright biasedness by the BBC.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 2m2 minutes ago
Update on "dodgy statistics" from @EvanHD http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/election ... 360006d957" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Well worth a look ....
I’ve just come through 30 minutes with David Cameron. The resulting interview is on BBC 1 at 7.30.

First thing to note: Cameron was in a remarkably upbeat mood. We all noticed it as soon as he arrived. What we couldn’t tell was whether he’s a man confident that he’s on course to be returned to Number 10, or whether he is demob happy in the sure knowledge that he’s about to be spending more time with his family.

Apart from that we learned these:

1. He is willing to quote dodgy statistics. He compared spending cuts made in the last parliament with the ones to be made in the next. It sounded like most of the cuts have now been made, but the stats he used looked very similar to ones the Statistics Authority admonished him for using back in December. “The figures for ‘savings’ during this Parliament and the next Parliament are drawn from different sources, are derived in different ways, and so are not directly comparable” said the National Statistician, Sir Andrew Dilnot.
and there's more ...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Sheffield Hallam 2001 tory writes telling people to vote for Clegg

Robert PestonVerified account
‏@Peston So the official Tory policy is to trounce LibDems and vice versa, but apparently not all activists got the memo

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

AngryAsWell wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly - it's outrageous. What - if anything - can be done by Labour about this? I expect nothing can be done, but am lividly thinking they should pull out on the grounds of outright biasedness by the BBC.
I guess it depends on the terms of the debate, if the BBC lets Miliband attack Cameron in absentia then so be it. If they try and stop him doing that then Labour should walk.

Milibands actions will be to agree with the left, say he sympathises with their views and that if he can do it he will, but also say he isn't going to do a Nick Clegg. He will only promise what he can deliver. I hope he hammers the SNP on some of their more outrageous policies, and on their refusal to vote against the bedroom tax.

He should then continually hammer Cameron on housing, on human rights, on tax avoidance, on non Doms and he should basically talk directly to the audience.

He needs to have figures (not too many), command the room and largely ignore the rest of the panel. He can have a pop at Farage for fun (and he might want to condemn Bennett for backing avid badger murderers Plaid).
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

I guess it depends on the terms of the debate, if the BBC lets Miliband attack Cameron in absentia then so be it. If they try and stop him doing that then Labour should walk.

Milibands actions will be to agree with the left, say he sympathises with their views and that if he can do it he will, but also say he isn't going to do a Nick Clegg. He will only promise what he can deliver. I hope he hammers the SNP on some of their more outrageous policies, and on their refusal to vote against the bedroom tax.

He should then continually hammer Cameron on housing, on human rights, on tax avoidance, on non Doms and he should basically talk directly to the audience.

He needs to have figures (not too many), command the room and largely ignore the rest of the panel. He can have a pop at Farage for fun (and he might want to condemn Bennett for backing avid badger murderers Plaid).
You are right of course, but the BBC are so blatantly biased they need a headline call-out on it. The only way that would happen is if Labour do walk, but then the spin put on that would land no where near the BBC Gerrr :fire:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The Telegraph ‏@Telegraph 21m21 minutes ago
Ed Miliband's US adviser David Axelrod pays no tax in Britain http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... itain.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Been waiting for the next wave of anti Ed ... timed to come out just before the challengers debate tomorrow. How convenient.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Ed Miliband's US adviser David Axelrod pays no tax in Britain http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... itain.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Been waiting for the next wave of anti Ed ... timed to come out just before the challengers debate tomorrow. How convenient.
Isn't there a clue in the word "US" there?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

In my old firm, they used to phone up people in other countries fairly often for advice.

I don't recall that making people liable for British tax.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jonathan Ashworth ‏@JonAshworth 30m30 minutes ago
Well I knew things were bad....Lynton Crosby telling marginal seat Tories not to brand themselves as Tory http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-wales-32321696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
I recommend following the link ... it's a corker of a story from Aberconwy ... we've gone beyond farce when exchanges like those reported here are happening.
The exchange started with an email in which Mr Bebb queried the lack of involvement in the election campaign by Mr Burchett, a former mayor of Llandudno.
Mr Burchett replied on Monday, saying: "I have spent the last 18 months making excuses for you not using the Welsh Conservative brand.
"Making excuses why you do not live in the constituency. Making excuses why you do not support your Assembly Member.
"In a nutshell. You have used the Conservative brand and the Aberconwy Conservative Association as a means to an end. You have only ever had one party in your heart. The 'Guto Bebb Party.'"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Beyond parody

Sky News ‏@SkyNews 3m3 minutes ago
Clegg Questions Legitimacy Of SNP In Government http://news.sky.com/story/1465770/clegg ... government" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Yep, I think so. He is presumably paid in US dollars, in the same way I would be paid in GB Pounds if I worked for a US company on a contract basis.
Release the Guardvarks.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
It's a consultancy and I would imagine his company simply submits an invoice to Labour and they pay it. Pretty sure we had external consultants and there was never a question of taxing them.

So what's the issue?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Been waiting for the next wave of anti Ed ... timed to come out just before the challengers debate tomorrow. How convenient.
It's a consultancy and I would imagine his company simply submits an invoice to Labour and they pay it. Pretty sure we had external consultants and there was never a question of taxing them.

So what's the issue?
"Miliband... pays no tax" on front of the paper is the issue.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Beyond parody

Clegg Questions Legitimacy Of SNP In Government http://news.sky.com/story/1465770/clegg ... government" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
It is incredible. If the people of Scotland elect SNP MPs they are no more or less legitimate than any other MP at Westminster.
Release the Guardvarks.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I can't get to the story (as the FT are better at protecting their paywall than the DT...) but the IMF are saying that we'll struggle to get the deficit down to zero by the end of the decade.

Something to do with weakness of tax revenues.

Well, that can't be right surely - George has got it under control...
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Look at the snide Telegraph!
The admission comes after Ed Miliband put a crackdown foreigners (sic) who pay lower rates of tax at the heart of his election manifesto.
While it is unclear how much tax Mr Axelrod will pay in the US, the rates of tax for companies are often significantly lower than for individuals.
You could look them up.

What a joke paper.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Beyond parody

It is incredible. If the people of Scotland elect SNP MPs they are no more or less legitimate than any other MP at Westminster.
Think there's a bit of an issue with a party who just want to get out of the UK being in government, but that's no "illegitimate".
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Seattle CEO Dan Price cuts own salary by 90% to pay every worker at least $70,000
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 77261.html#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The Sun front page tomorrow (I just can't be bothered to do a jpg and stick it here) is pure anti Ed mockery. Again - just in time for that challengers debate tomorrow.

Definitely a second wave of anti Ed in progress. And the promise of Fallon to spin the debates ... oh joys.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Desperation time in Tory ranks, if they haven't got a lead by Monday they will start to get really nasty.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Been waiting for the next wave of anti Ed ... timed to come out just before the challengers debate tomorrow. How convenient.

So what's the issue?
There isn't one. It's just being made to sound like there's a problem.
Last edited by citizenJA on Wed 15 Apr, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Lab 35 Con 34 in tonight's Yougov.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

frightful_oik wrote:Lab 35 Con 34 in tonight's Yougov.
Glad I checked before I posted. From Smithson.
For fourth consecutive night LAB have lead in YouGov Sun poll
CON 34%, LAB 35%, LD 8%, UKIP 13%, GRN 5%
Release the Guardvarks.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Has anyone audited this £21bn of welfare (sic) cuts that Cameron keeps banking on about?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

SUN FRONT PAGE: "We DO have two kitchens...nanny uses the one downstairs" #skypapers

(Having a nanny is better than leaving the kids in the pub I think)

AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Yep second stage of attacks on Labour out tonight

DAILY MAIL FRONT PAGE: "Labour's Queen of Hypocrisy" #skypapers

Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Has anyone audited this £21bn of welfare (sic) cuts that Cameron keeps banking on about?
I don't think so.

IDS went on about them too. They're what Labour "voted against".
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

citizenJA wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:

I'm delighted by your hospitality & will bring a home-made carrot cake if that meets with your approval.

Currently, the only functional air pollution monitors in the UK are located around London at the time of this post.
http://aqicn.org/city/united-kingdom/le ... new-cross/

I've not been able to track down pollution data for the rest of the UK for several days. The BBC Weather site Ohso was good enough to link doesn't provide the data I'm usually able to get from real-time Air Quality Index linked above or from the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA) linked below. The website has had the following message on its website for as long as I've been without air pollution monitor data.
The UK-AIR website is currently offline. We are working to resolve this as soon as possible and apologise for any inconvenience.
http://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/
That site is worth a visit if only to marvel at the optimism the forecasts start with only to leave readers with a final observation high levels of pollution may occur. Perhaps the monitors have been turned off so that tomorrow's Supreme Court Appeal (details posted below) may go on with as little verifiable data as possible; continuing the method of voodoo governance the last five years of Tory coalition leadership are renown for providing the people & country.
Thursday 16 April 2015
Court 1
10:30
R (on the application of ClientEarth) (Appellant) v Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Respondent)
Whether, as regards areas where compliance with nitrogen dioxide limits set out in Directive 2008/50/EC (the Air Quality Directive) could not be achieved by 1 January 2010, the Air Quality Directive requires the respondent to have prepared an air quality plan which demonstrates compliance by 1 January 2015. If so, what remedies must the Court provide where the respondent has not prepared an air quality plan which demonstrates compliance by 1 January 2015?
https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2012-0179.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guests bearing carrot cake are particularly welcome, cJA :)

Sadly, the case before the Supreme Court wo'n't give an opinion on this latest round of the failures in the nationwide monitoring system - unless it's been out-of-service since before 1st January 2015, in which case a view might be taken that the circumstance of inability to demonstrate compliance continues. That might raise another argument as to whether or not the SoS DEFRA could be held in any way liable for the breakdown of a system which has worked in the relatively recent past, at least on occasion. And some sort of forecasting system is working for London, if not the detailed reporting we should be able to expect. It's not good enough that most of the system seems to have been down for more than a week, now, though.

Some of the kerbside monitoring stations in London are owned or operated by local groups, schools, and colleges and are additional to the statutory requirements on the boroughs, agencies, and the GLA. Boris gets pretty regular bollockings from the GLA members, and the electorate, on the breaches of limits and guidelines, so I'm sure he'll be in for another round on this latest fiasco!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:SUN FRONT PAGE: "We DO have two kitchens...nanny uses the one downstairs" #skypapers

(Having a nanny is better than leaving the kids in the pub I think)

Well, if that's true, I've every confidence Ed Miliband employs the person properly & taxes are paid as they should be. This is so boring - tedious. Ed Miliband knew his life would come under scrutiny & the Tory government Dave, Clegg, Osborne, Gove, IDS, Grayling, the whole toxic nest have been so blatantly god-awful in their last five years - utterly disreputable & still the crap gets spun. It's not just, it's not fair.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

frightful_oik wrote:Lab 35 Con 34 in tonight's Yougov.
By the way I love your avatar.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Yep second stage of attacks on Labour out tonight

DAILY MAIL FRONT PAGE: "Labour's Queen of Hypocrisy" #skypapers

Relentless
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Patrick O'Flynn retweeted
Peter J Stringfellow ‏@PJStringfellow 9h9 hours ago
I'm still a Conservative but got to say @Nigel_Farage and @UKIP manifesto very impressive...
:lol: For some reason that just makes me cackle ... I think it might be that O'Flynn is so chuffed by Stringfellow's approval he's actually retweeted it. Stringfellow. And of course he's really a Conservative ...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Emily Matiss being all fair and balanced asking Laws about Labour's deficit plans with a "do you think that's downright stupid".

Given what the IMF have just said, it sounds pretty sensible to me!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

All this talk of kitchens makes me think of country suppers
But seriously I do understand the issue with the Times. Let's discuss over country supper soon. On the party it was because I had asked a number of NI [News International] people to Manchester post endorsement and they were disappointed not to see you. But as always Sam was wonderful (and I thought it was OE's [Old Etonians] were charm personfied!) I am so rooting for you tomorrow not just as a proud friend but because professionally we're definitely in this together! Speech of your life? Yes he Cam
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

This is interesting, seeing the HA homes she's objecting to have never had right to buy before.

Going to be an ex-council place, transferred to an HA, isn't it? These have always had the right to buy, haven't they?