Thursday 16th April 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 16th April 2015

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 16th April 2015

Post by yahyah »

Morning.

Just been looking at last's night's posts and saw the posts about the Sun's 'Ed's Two Kitchens' front page.

Can't help thinking this may be dog whistle politics again as some Jewish families have two sinks, or if they have the means two kitchens, because of Kosher food rules.

Ed is not religiously observant, but that won't matter to anti-semites and those who don't want to see Ed elected.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

So - three weeks today, and we'll be voting.

While the tabloids try to find any excuse to attack Miliband and any other Labour politician, the G seems to be still in thrall to the LibDems.
The editorial on their manifesto would suggest they're still keen on Clegg.

The live blog this morning has no mention of the BBC allowing the Tory spin-doctors to attend the debates.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The National Union of Students are sending vans out with this anti-Lib Dem poster.
Not sure it works, rather an aggressive image, and it doesn't actually name the Lib Dems.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

[youtube]YsBOTkfOHCI[/youtube]
The Labour Party ‏@UKLabour 29m29 minutes ago
David Cameron has been failing working people for five years. No wonder he's too scared to debate his record ⇢ " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Very short and very good.
Working on the wild side.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

yahyah wrote:Image

The National Union of Students are sending vans out with this anti-Lib Dem poster.
Not sure it works, rather an aggressive image, and it doesn't actually name the Lib Dems.
I think it works quite well. If you say "broken pledge" a student knows exactly what, and who you mean.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

ephemerid wrote:So - three weeks today, and we'll be voting.

While the tabloids try to find any excuse to attack Miliband and any other Labour politician, the G seems to be still in thrall to the LibDems.

The live blog this morning has no mention of the BBC allowing the Tory spin-doctors to attend the debates.
They've just added a (very) brief mention about the spin-doctors and a link to the Mirror's story about it.

Morning all.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The Welsh Labour manifesto will be out later today, finally, it has been trailed for days.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

StephenDolan wrote:

I think it works quite well. If you say "broken pledge" a student knows exactly what, and who you mean.

I think the little birdie thingy is a bit of a giveaway.....

I don't care if it's aggressive, yahyah. They deserve a shoeing, frankly.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

@ Ephie

I've woken up now, am seeing the aggressiveness as a positive - the knuckles represent the smack in the chops that the Lib Dems gave their voters. Lib Dems, never again.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

They've just added a (very) brief mention about the spin-doctors and a link to the Mirror's story about it.

Morning all.

Thanks TGS.

How's your ticker? And/or the arteries?

I've been meaning to ask and kept forgetting, mea culpa...
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

yahyah wrote:@ Ephie

I've woken up now, am seeing the aggressiveness as a positive - the knuckles represent the smack in the chops that the Lib Dems gave their voters. Lib Dems, never again.
:clap:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Owen JonesVerified account
‏@OwenJones84
Join me in Sheffield on April 26th. Kick out Nick Clegg, replace him with @olivercoppard who will stick to his word

Good to see Owen supporting Labour there, rather than suggesting a vote for one of the supposedly 'hope not fear' parties.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Rumours have emerged of an early morning swoop on the BBC by detectives and MI5 officers. It is believed that several computers and digital media storage equipment comprising material that may be detrimental to Number 10 have been destroyed . No-one from the BBC was available for comment but a Tory party spokesman later replied, "What interview?" when asked if there had been any connection to Cameron's interview with Evan Davis last night.

Edit; Drats, I should have posted here first. This version is better worded than the one I placed on the G and can be edited too.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Thu 16 Apr, 2015 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Have just seen our first swallow of the year !
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ephemerid wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

Morning all.

Thanks TGS.

Not too bad. Fed up with eating bloody salad though. :wall:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

yahyah wrote:Owen JonesVerified account
‏@OwenJones84
Join me in Sheffield on April 26th. Kick out Nick Clegg, replace him with @olivercoppard who will stick to his word

Good to see Owen supporting Labour there, rather than suggesting a vote for one of the supposedly 'hope not fear' parties.
To be fair to Owen he has been campaigning for Labour consistently; like a lot of us he realizes that while Labour may have its shortcomings it is realistically the best option this time around - the irony that people who place Owen on a pedestal disagree with him on just that one issue has not escaped me. :lol:
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Since the Blue Meanies published their manifesto, this is what has happened -

David Nicholson has said that the funding gap in the NHS needs urgent action, and Chris Ham has pointed out the manifesto doesn't address this.

Paul Johnson (IFS) has said that the manifesto does not clarify what Osborne's plan actually is, with added criticism of how cuts will be made.

Now the IMF has weighed in and is saying that Osborne's deficit reduction plan (whatever it is) is not going to work.

Shelter, housing associations, others - all saying that the extended right-to-buy is not workable and will be challenged in the courts.

Tax threshold plans and a "new law" about the NMW have been shown to be worthless nonsense.

30 hours of "free childcare" has not been costed and there is no detail about who is eligible.

We still have no idea where the £12BN in "welfare" cuts will fall - despite Cameron saying it would be in the manifesto.

We know that they will allow another debate/vote on foxhunting and will repeal the Human Rights Act.

It's not very much to offer, is it?
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

ephemerid wrote:Since the Blue Meanies published their manifesto, this is what has happened -

David Nicholson has said that the funding gap in the NHS needs urgent action, and Chris Ham has pointed out the manifesto doesn't address this.

Paul Johnson (IFS) has said that the manifesto does not clarify what Osborne's plan actually is, with added criticism of how cuts will be made.

Now the IMF has weighed in and is saying that Osborne's deficit reduction plan (whatever it is) is not going to work.

Shelter, housing associations, others - all saying that the extended right-to-buy is not workable and will be challenged in the courts.

Tax threshold plans and a "new law" about the NMW have been shown to be worthless nonsense.

30 hours of "free childcare" has not been costed and there is no detail about who is eligible.

We still have no idea where the £12BN in "welfare" cuts will fall - despite Cameron saying it would be in the manifesto.

We know that they will allow another debate/vote on foxhunting and will repeal the Human Rights Act.

Clearly, the IMF are unaware of this government's track record, of its ability to take the tough decisions, (tough for other people that is), and their long term economic plan which is clearly working because one only has to look at their track record of taking the tough decisions that benefit hard-working families....

Sorry, I came over all Sajid Javid for a moment there. I've made an urgent appointment at the doctor for sometime in June.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I was just thinking of Dave's face when Evan Davis pushed him on the £12bn welfare cuts. After averaging them per household nationwide Evan then pointed out that of course it would not be so averaged and that those in need to be affected by as much as one or even two thousand. Given that Dave repeatedly brings up Ivan, would it be wrong to ask if he has a personal view on this, having claimed disability benefits for his own son?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Thanks TGS.

Not too bad. Fed up with eating bloody salad though. :wall:[/quote]

I've got familial hypercholesterolaemia - without meds, it's about 11.5 (total HDL/LDL)

I get sick of salads and oily fish - so I don't eat that much of either. I take fish-oil supplements to compensate. Oily fish repeats on me in the vilest fashion - but I am very partial to a kedgeree made without the eggs.

Things that are actively good for you and easy to make include - baked aubergines or okra with tomatoes and lots of olive oil; ratatouille with olive oil; dhal (I use red lentils for speedy cooking and lots of spices); vegetable curries with ground almonds to thicken them; and I also eat quite a bit of pasta with puttanesca-style sauces (lots of olives) and you can use whole-wheat if you're feeling virtuous...

I've been told not to bother with the fancy margarines etc. as they only lower levels temporarily; my GP says that when you stop using them your body over-compensates and jacks up your levels. I have no idea if this is true - but stuff like Benecol is so expensive I won't buy it anyway. Use peanut butter instead of butter; also nice on bread is tapenade and any colour of ready-made pesto.

I also make huge amounts of soup - split pea, vegetable, etc. and freeze it. Makes a nicer meal for a salad-swerver than endless rabbit food if you're in a hurry or can't be arsed to cook after a busy day. Cabbage-leaves and vine leaves stuffed with spiced rice and pine nuts; peppers stuffed with a mixture of lean mince/soya mince or lentil-based bolognese sauce, rice, and spices; lots of things!

If you have the time, cash, and freezer space, I recommend putting together some dishes as above - I am tempted to cheat when I'm hungry, and knowing I can have a hearty meal in a few minutes helps me a lot. If I'm really good, I can have a treat now and then; and for me, things like strawberries are no use at all without a dollop of cream! Also, dark chocolate is low in cholesterol if it's more than 70% cocoa solids (cacao has flavonoids and anti-oxidants which help to lower cholesterol, in fact) so you can have that too.

It's not all about lettuce, you know.....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I think it's one of those generation gap things. I see the fists as power in their hands to change what they don't like. It's also quite cunning. Could apply to Conservatives as well as LibDems.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

As pointed out this morning, the MSM initially hyped up today's "debate" as a huge banana skin for Ed. More recently, they have barely mentioned it at all.

I wonder why?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Thanks TGS.

Not too bad. Fed up with eating bloody salad though. :wall:

I've got familial hypercholesterolaemia - without meds, it's about 11.5 (total HDL/LDL)

I get sick of salads and oily fish - so I don't eat that much of either. I take fish-oil supplements to compensate. Oily fish repeats on me in the vilest fashion - but I am very partial to a kedgeree made without the eggs.

Things that are actively good for you and easy to make include - baked aubergines or okra with tomatoes and lots of olive oil; ratatouille with olive oil; dhal (I use red lentils for speedy cooking and lots of spices); vegetable curries with ground almonds to thicken them; and I also eat quite a bit of pasta with puttanesca-style sauces (lots of olives) and you can use whole-wheat if you're feeling virtuous...

I've been told not to bother with the fancy margarines etc. as they only lower levels temporarily; my GP says that when you stop using them your body over-compensates and jacks up your levels. I have no idea if this is true - but stuff like Benecol is so expensive I won't buy it anyway. Use peanut butter instead of butter; also nice on bread is tapenade and any colour of ready-made pesto.

I also make huge amounts of soup - split pea, vegetable, etc. and freeze it. Makes a nicer meal for a salad-swerver than endless rabbit food if you're in a hurry or can't be arsed to cook after a busy day. Cabbage-leaves and vine leaves stuffed with spiced rice and pine nuts; peppers stuffed with a mixture of lean mince/soya mince or lentil-based bolognese sauce, rice, and spices; lots of things!

If you have the time, cash, and freezer space, I recommend putting together some dishes as above - I am tempted to cheat when I'm hungry, and knowing I can have a hearty meal in a few minutes helps me a lot. If I'm really good, I can have a treat now and then; and for me, things like strawberries are no use at all without a dollop of cream! Also, dark chocolate is low in cholesterol if it's more than 70% cocoa solids (cacao has flavonoids and anti-oxidants which help to lower cholesterol, in fact) so you can have that too.

[/quote]

Familial hypercholesterolaemia - without meds, it's about 11.5 (total HDL/LDL)
Snap!!! Mine hovers at around ten. Top dose statins weren't working well so I have to take Exetrol, as well which boosts the statin. It's buggered my legs up though and was the probable cause of my cataracts.

I use Olive Oil. Stick to low fat cuts of meat, or do a lot of trimming. It definitely costs more. Make my own hamburgers from low fat mince. My doc said I could eat only lettuce and my cholesterol would still be through the roof, so eat what I liked in moderation but fear tends to turn you off the bad for you and junk food which isn't a bad thing. You do tend to lose your taste for it in the end.
I tried every substitute for butter that was on the market and couldn't find one, so stuck to butter. Now 17 years later we're led to believe it isn't that bad for us after all...

I believe a cup of tea is high in anti-oxidants. You need to let it steep for about five minutes though. I leave my tea bag in :)
Doc was amazed at my 'good' cholesterol reading which I'm putting down to builders tea.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:As pointed out this morning, the MSM initially hyped up today's "debate" as a huge banana skin for Ed. More recently, they have barely mentioned it at all.

I wonder why?

Because the questions are not about Ed, they're about why Cameron and Clegg aren't going to be there.

Last night's interview with Evan Davis was interesting. Cameron was allowed to talk over Davis and repeat his mantras whilst not answering any questions. I think Davis did his best, and scored a few points eg. on the cuts to benefits; but it seems to me that there is some unwritten rule at the Beeb by which no interviewer is allowed to press Cameron too hard.

Regarding tonight, I'm hoping that the nationalists will make life difficult for Farage - but what Ed has in his armoury is the fact that he is the only "challenger" in the line-up who has any chance at all of forming a government. With or without support from Sturgeon.
I think the nationalists need to be careful they don't alienate people.

I also hope that Ed makes some reference to the fact that neither leader of the parties of the last government are present to defend their record - but that hasn't stopped them despatching their spin-doctors to the debate.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

yahyah wrote:Have just seen our first swallow of the year !
And I've just found the first aphids and green caterpillars on the newly opened leaves.Sorry world,it's hardass pest spray this year.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

yahyah wrote:Morning.

Just been looking at last's night's posts and saw the posts about the Sun's 'Ed's Two Kitchens' front page.

Can't help thinking this may be dog whistle politics again as some Jewish families have two sinks, or if they have the means two kitchens, because of Kosher food rules.

Ed is not religiously observant, but that won't matter to anti-semites and those who don't want to see Ed elected.
The sun pictures were plain daft.
Is Ed a hypocrite because he wears formal atire at a function and jeans and a jumper at home in his kitchen?Are sun readers so stupid they expect the leader of the opp/future pm to wear jeans to a state function and tails to make a cup of coffee?
So maybe the headline should read 'red hot Ed dresses appropriately'.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

frightful_oik wrote:
ephemerid wrote:Since the Blue Meanies published their manifesto, this is what has happened -

Clearly, the IMF are unaware of this government's track record, of its ability to take the tough decisions, (tough for other people that is), and their long term economic plan which is clearly working because one only has to look at their track record of taking the tough decisions that benefit hard-working families....

Sorry, I came over all Sajid Javid for a moment there. I've made an urgent appointment at the doctor for sometime in June.
Peston Tweeted yesterday that the IMF forecast instead of +7% was actually going to be -7%.
I tweeted Osborne must have got his plus and minus's muddled up.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:As pointed out this morning, the MSM initially hyped up today's "debate" as a huge banana skin for Ed. More recently, they have barely mentioned it at all.

I wonder why?
Because they know it's already stitched up and are just sitting back and waiting.
After the debate Emily Maitlis has a slot with a tory and a libdem (but no labour person) discussing the debate and giving their opinion on who "won"
Meanwhile, the three Witches of Eastwick are meeting before the show to discuss tactics.
I'm despairing I really am, I don't think this will work out well at all. :(
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

utopiandreams wrote:Rumours have emerged of an early morning swoop on the BBC by detectives and MI5 officers. It is believed that several computers and digital media storage equipment comprising material that may be detrimental to Number 10 have been destroyed . No-one from the BBC was available for comment but a Tory party spokesman later replied, "What interview?" when asked if there had been any connection to Cameron's interview with Evan Davis last night.

Edit; Drats, I should have posted here first. This version is better worded than the one I placed on the G and can be edited too.
Is this true or has that ship marked 'irony' just sailed over my head ?
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Roy Lilley's email today is worth a read. He dissects the LD manifesto health pledges:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com ... ae52733d3a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but as we know, Clegg will do anything for power & Peter Brookes cartoon has it spot on:
Attachments
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg (121.18 KiB) Viewed 13954 times
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

The BBC News Channel is bimbling away in the background. Norman Smith is predicting that Ed Miliband will come out of this evening's "debate" well. In fact, he was a bit more flowery in his praise (for want of a better word).

Edited

Brackets. I never learn.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:Roy Lilley's email today is worth a read. He dissects the LD manifesto health pledges:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com ... ae52733d3a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but as we know, Clegg will do anything for power & Peter Brookes cartoon has it spot on:

I know I've already thanked you - but that cartoon's wonderful.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:
ephemerid wrote: Not too bad. Fed up with eating bloody salad though. :wall:

Familial hypercholesterolaemia - without meds, it's about 11.5 (total HDL/LDL)
Snap!!! Mine hovers at around ten. Top dose statins weren't working well so I have to take Exetrol, as well which boosts the statin. It's buggered my legs up though and was the probable cause of my cataracts.

I use Olive Oil. Stick to low fat cuts of meat, or do a lot of trimming. It definitely costs more. Make my own hamburgers from low fat mince. My doc said I could eat only lettuce and my cholesterol would still be through the roof, so eat what I liked in moderation but fear tends to turn you off the bad for you and junk food which isn't a bad thing. You do tend to lose your taste for it in the end.
I tried every substitute for butter that was on the market and couldn't find one, so stuck to butter. Now 17 years later we're led to believe it isn't that bad for us after all...

I believe a cup of tea is high in anti-oxidants. You need to let it steep for about five minutes though. I leave my tea bag in :)
Doc was amazed at my 'good' cholesterol reading which I'm putting down to builders tea.[/quote]

Easier to answer you both at the same time.

Ephie, I'm lucky, I love oily fish so that part is no hardship; salmon & veg stirfry with noodles, tuna in any format, smoked mackerel, fish pies ........ my idea of heaven!! I can 'do' salads, but the fact tomatoes should only be eaten cooked as far as I am concerned makes them limiting; still, Tuesday might was Aldi marinated salmon (cheaper than smoked and just as good) with rabbit food, last night was a warm chicken and broad bean salad. Oh and aubergines are the devil's snot I don't really like aubergines, so they are out too.

Yep, the Mediterranean diet hits the spot, used to eat a lot of that anyway. Curries, both veg and chicken, feature heavily (love lentils, so need to introduce them a lot more) as do stir frys, both fish & chicken; the only red meat I've eaten since the event has been mince, in the form of chilli - onions, tomatoes, kidney beans and rice, covering off four of the obligatory five a day. I only ever used olive oil to cook anyway, and don't use too much; I've switched to olive oil spreads now as well.

I've cut right back on the coffee, always keep a little bit of emergency 85% chocolate with me, so ticked those boxes too. I think lunch time, when working, is the big problem (hence the salad moan), just need to get myself organized with those soups and things I guess.

Apols to the rest if this is boring but us sickly people need to stick together. ;)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

IPSOS MORI seemed to be trailing a big interesting poll earlier today. The figures have come out and are

LAB - 35% (+1)
CON - 33% (-)
UKIP - 10% (-3)
GRN - 8% (+2)
LDEM - 7% (-1)

which is nice, but it's difficult to see how interesting it is other than the nice interesting thing that UKIP's continued gentle decline still doesn't appear to be doing the tories any favours.

Edited to add - and it puts the lib dems back in fifth behind the greens, almost sixth behind the SNP perhaps, but I don't think that's really big news. Maybe interesting that, pace UKIP/Tory vote, the rise in the Green score doesn't seem to be harming Labour.
I still believe in a town called Hope
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Graun live blog:
Ipsos Mori have a poll out later today. And apparently it’s “definitely worth watching”.
Sections from the Evening Standard Ipsos Mori poll write-up:
The monthly survey reveals Labour has risen one point since March to 35 per cent, two points ahead of the Conservatives, who are unchanged at 33.
The proportion of voters who are happy with how he is doing his job has risen from 28 to 33 per cent, while the percentage dissatisfied has dropped from 59 to 52. These are his best figures since October 2013.
and, naturally:
Only a third of the public see Ed Miliband as a “capable leader” while just a quarter think he would be “good in a crisis”, an exclusive poll reveals today.

David Cameron is seen as a better leader, but is deemed to be “out of touch” by almost two-thirds of the public, while 75 per cent think he favours some sections of society more than others.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 80893.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure what exactly was worthy of the excitement generated by that Ben Page tweet...
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

pk1 wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:Rumours have emerged of an early morning swoop on the BBC by detectives and MI5 officers. It is believed that several computers and digital media storage equipment comprising material that may be detrimental to Number 10 have been destroyed . No-one from the BBC was available for comment but a Tory party spokesman later replied, "What interview?" when asked if there had been any connection to Cameron's interview with Evan Davis last night.

Is this true or has that ship marked 'irony' just sailed over my head ?
Sorry pk1, it was not meant to deceive, besides I'd have thought the 'drats' would be a clue. No it was something that occurred to me when I noticed its complete absence from BBC News this morning. I just felt certain that had any other leader got as angry as Dave had last night that there would have been a clip.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

adam wrote:IPSOS MORI seemed to be trailing a big interesting poll earlier today. The figures have come out and are

LAB - 35% (+1)
CON - 33% (-)
UKIP - 10% (-3)
GRN - 8% (+2)
LDEM - 7% (-1)

which is nice, but it's difficult to see how interesting it is other than the nice interesting thing that UKIP's continued gentle decline still doesn't appear to be doing the tories any favours.

Edited to add - and it puts the lib dems back in fifth behind the greens, almost sixth behind the SNP perhaps, but I don't think that's really big news. Maybe interesting that, pace UKIP/Tory vote, the rise in the Green score doesn't seem to be harming Labour.
Snap !
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Emergency cash hand-outs for people in financial crisis continue for another year
Reading Borough Council "husbands" cash to make it last a third year even though Government funding has now stopped

The Financial Crisis Support Scheme received £454,668 in 2013/14 and £448,054 the following year but the Government made it clear there would be no cash in 2015/16.
As a result, according to lead councillor for adult social care Councillor Rachel Eden , the council “husbanded” its funds carefully to keep the scheme running for a further year.
Reading Borough Council’s policy committee agreed on Monday, April 13, to use the remaining pot of £276,000 to pass £128,000 on to voluntary organisations like Readifood , Reading Citizens’ Advice Bureau and Christian Community Action to enable them to continue to hand out emergency funding.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local- ... al-9053423
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

utopiandreams wrote:
Sorry pk1, it was not meant to deceive, besides I'd have thought the 'drats' would be a clue. No it was something that occurred to me when I noticed its complete absence from BBC News this morning. I just felt certain that had any other leader got as angry as Dave had last night that there would have been a clip.
tbh, I have no idea what you might have posted on the Graun since I only read ATL lately. The spiteful stuff BTL is something I choose to stay away from - hopefully the trolls will piss off once the election is over & BTL become more civil again.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Southall Black Sisters condemn Galloways attacks on Naz Shah:
George Galloway and his cohorts have signalled a new low in British politics by mounting what can only be described as a vicious and mean minded assault on Naz Shah, the Labour Party’s candidate for Bradford West in the coming general election. Galloway’s attempt at character assassination relies on selectively drawing upon Naz’s complex and difficult background, and it speaks volumes about political opportunism and the naked hunger for power by any means necessary.
http://www.southallblacksisters.org.uk/ ... -naz-shah/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and whilst I cannot agree with most of what she says, Louise Mensch has been unrelenting in her expose of the Galloway cohorts & their vicious, untrue attacks on Shah - good on her !

http://unfashionista.com/2015/04/15/bra ... -naz-shah/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nasty, divisive politics - no surprise George Galloway is involved.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm getting sick of the "Ooh, look! Women!" thing. It perpetuates the idea that women in politics and as party leaders is some sort of aberration. Just get on with it and stop acting as if it's a novelty or a passing phase. We don't hear, "Ooh, look! Angela Merkel! She's a woman, you know . . . ". I wish the British press would grow up.

Edited to add

Patronising. That's the word I was looking for.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Biggest jump in house prices have been in Tory led areas

Property prices in Wokingham have risen by 25.7 per cent since May 2010.
The average price has risen from £265,795 to £334,036 in the five-year Parliamentary term.

In Bracknell Forest prices have risen from £211,679 to £260,650 - a rise of 22.9 per cent.

Reading itself [Labour led council] has seen a rise of exactly 15 per cent from £199, 018 to £228,852.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local- ... en-9040282
I know I will benefit from these huge rises, but I don't like it. It's because we're so near to London. Buyers are priced out of the more upmarket towns nearer the capital, so are now looking at Bracknell which was, until a few years ago, almost entirely social housing.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

pk1 wrote:.. tbh, I have no idea what you might have posted on the Graun since I only read ATL lately. The spiteful stuff BTL is something I choose to stay away from - hopefully the trolls will piss off once the election is over & BTL become more civil again.
Exactly the same story just better worded here, this version being its second rendering after verbalising it. Having said that I don't think you were alone as I've absolutely no idea what to make of a reply I had in the G. It's beginning to become a habit after the last few days but I'm not sure if I can cope with the burden of keeping it up for another three weeks as nothing of the sort had come to me at all this morning.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Graun live blog:
Q: Chance of a Tory majority at 4%, according to recent poll, shouldn’t you stop believing and campaigning on the basis this will happen?

A: We’re only 20 seats from a majority, Cameron claims. There is only one way from stopping Labour forming Government with SNP is to vote Conservative.
Wasn't he saying just yesterday, that they needed 23 seats ?

:toss:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

pk1 wrote:Graun live blog:
Ipsos Mori have a poll out later today. And apparently it’s “definitely worth watching”.
The monthly survey reveals Labour has risen one point since March to 35 per cent, two points ahead of the Conservatives, who are unchanged at 33.
The proportion of voters who are happy with how he is doing his job has risen from 28 to 33 per cent, while the percentage dissatisfied has dropped from 59 to 52. These are his best figures since October 2013.
and, naturally:
Only a third of the public see Ed Miliband as a “capable leader” while just a quarter think he would be “good in a crisis”, an exclusive poll reveals today.

David Cameron is seen as a better leader, but is deemed to be “out of touch” by almost two-thirds of the public, while 75 per cent think he favours some sections of society more than others.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 80893.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure what exactly was worthy of the excitement generated by that Ben Page tweet...
Worth remembering that it is a phone poll, and phone polls have tended to favour the Tories. Has the tide turned at last?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Q: Chance of a Tory majority at 4%, according to recent poll, shouldn’t you stop believing and campaigning on the basis this will happen?

A: We’re only 20 seats from a majority, Cameron claims. There is only one way from stopping Labour forming Government with SNP is to vote Conservative.
Wasn't he saying just yesterday, that they needed 23 seats ?

:toss:
20 short on 2010 results but lost 3 seats since then? Arguably you need five fewer because of speaker/SF.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

and, naturally:

Maybe because it's a phone poll (wasn't someone saying recently they tend to favour the Tories) and Labour have increased their lead since the last Ipsos Mori. I know what you mean though. It's Tory leads that are rare, polls that put Labour a couple of points ahead have been seen before so why is this one so interesting? Maybe the numbers add up to a Labour majority. After all the talk of coalition and hung parliaments on the BBC today you'd be forgiven for thinking such a thing was a statistical impossibility!
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

pk1 wrote:
adam wrote:IPSOS MORI seemed to be trailing a big interesting poll earlier today. The figures have come out and are

LAB - 35% (+1)
CON - 33% (-)
UKIP - 10% (-3)
GRN - 8% (+2)
LDEM - 7% (-1)

Snap !
Well,they're not going to tweet 'don't bother reading our latest poll,nothing new here'.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Giselle retweeted
Richard Blogger ‏@richardblogger Apr 15

Did you know that SHA annual reports from 2005 to 2011 have been removed *completely* from the web? No archive. Lansley's Year Zero