Monday 20th April 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
frightful_oik
Whip

Re: Monday 20th April 2015

Post by frightful_oik »

Kippers in the village today. Didn't come and talk to me though. Which is lucky. For them.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Delivered my leaflets today. Couldn't get into a block of flats though, no main letter box.
Local party funds don't run to having the Royal Mail deliver, so unfortunately that'll be a whole bunch of prospective voters who think Labour can't be bothered.
Go in the morning, and press the 'trade' button if there is one - this should give you access (a trick I learned a few years back).
Tut, I already said that ^^^ !

I dunno, go to the effort of posting what seems to be helpful comments only for them to be ignored - and by a moderator too !! :roll:

:lol: :lol:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

This is just crying out for a caption:

ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

pk1 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Delivered my leaflets today. Couldn't get into a block of flats though, no main letter box.
Local party funds don't run to having the Royal Mail deliver, so unfortunately that'll be a whole bunch of prospective voters who think Labour can't be bothered.
Blocks like that usually have a bell marked 'Trade' which allows access to all before a specific time - midday seems to be the norm round this way. Royal Mail must be granted permission to deliver letters (since tampering with mail is a criminal offence) hence the 'trade' access.
Our postman has keys to get in the blocks of flats...
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Just back from a neighbouring village canvassing session. Interesting - purely anecdotal and very small sample obviously - as we got a real impression of several of those who had previously voted Tory saying they were now undecided - with a strong whiff that that meant they were considering Ukip instead - with a couple actually saying that. We've not had that sense before in other places.

I spent a long time listening to a young mum who will probably vote Labour this time ... voted Tory in 2010 ... who was almost in despair over how their lives have become so much more difficult and uncertain over the past 5 years. She works for a social services run care home but the council (Ceredigion which has Plaid as the largest group) have been steadily closing down the council run services and hers is next in line. The service and her job will be outsourced and she knows that she will be paid substantially less and working conditions will not be as good - she could be sent all over the county. She has already lost her tax credits. She is scared of losing child benefit - or part of it - if the Tories come back into power. I hope Stephen Crabb knocks on her door so she can let him know how the Tories' economic miracle has worked for her.
Working on the wild side.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

pk1 wrote:This is just crying out for a caption:

Tory campaign hits the buffers?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
Go in the morning, and press the 'trade' button if there is one - this should give you access (a trick I learned a few years back).

I dunno, go to the effort of posting what seems to be helpful comments only for them to be ignored - and by a moderator too !! :roll:

Yes - that's why I didn't bother to post my abseiling tip.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 8m8 minutes ago
This may be wrong or partial, but the detail challenges claim SNP manifesto is to left of Labour. http://labourlist.org/2015/04/one-two-t ... hting-for/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … via @labourlist
Very interesting comparison chart in the linked article - looking at the Labour and SNP manifesto policy by policy and the likely impact, if any, of the SNP influence ...
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

'And if the person whistling the Internationale doesn't come forward immediately, Mr Osborne will be keeping you all behind for extra P.E.'
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

and goes off the rails.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

pk1 wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:

Sorry PK, I saw the original post by Ohso and immediately posted in response, before continuing down the thread - and finding your exact same advice. Good to know others know this trick - I doubt many Tories do; after all how many of them deliver parcels and letter...?
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

frightful_oik wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

and goes off the rails.
Courtesy of Toppledmonument BTL on the AS blog..."Looks like the train has hit the duffers"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Just back from a neighbouring village canvassing session. Interesting - purely anecdotal and very small sample obviously - as we got a real impression of several of those who had previously voted Tory saying they were now undecided - with a strong whiff that that meant they were considering Ukip instead - with a couple actually saying that. We've not had that sense before in other places.

I spent a long time listening to a young mum who will probably vote Labour this time ... voted Tory in 2010 ... who was almost in despair over how their lives have become so much more difficult and uncertain over the past 5 years. She works for a social services run care home but the council (Ceredigion which has Plaid as the largest group) have been steadily closing down the council run services and hers is next in line. The service and her job will be outsourced and she knows that she will be paid substantially less and working conditions will not be as good - she could be sent all over the county. She has already lost her tax credits. She is scared of losing child benefit - or part of it - if the Tories come back into power. I hope Stephen Crabb knocks on her door so she can let him know how the Tories' economic miracle has worked for her.
The leaflets I delivered this morning were for electing local councillors.
This is what it says about care workers:

We believe that this skilled and trained work force should be rewarded for their worth and contribution. The council [Tory] has commissioned out this work to private companies, but has refused to include pay and condition requirements to ensure the home care workforce get at least the living wage, paid travel time, sickness pay and no ZH contracts.
Labour would insist on these when contracting with commissioned providers.

I'd like to have seen them saying that care services would revert to the council again, but it doesn't look as if returning to the old way is going to be a feasible.

Also. We only have a couple of Labour councillors...
They say:

Labour councilors have taken a 20% cut in their entitled allowances for the last four years. If all the councillors both Tory and UKIP had done this, an extra £400,000 could have been spent on front line services.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Lest anyone be downcast about the latest (silly) ICM poll, here's an article that shows considerably more awareness, and some very interesting figures...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 88173.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Finding it almost impossible to post or use FTN this afternoon. Slow beyond belief and keep getting 'general error' message. This seems to be happening quite frequently now. Anyone else experiencing this? Suggestions for what can be done, if anything? I keep imagining this happening on election night. Not good to be locked out at anytime ... but on election night ....
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Finding it almost impossible to post or use FTN this afternoon. Slow beyond belief and keep getting 'general error' message. This seems to be happening quite frequently now. Anyone else experiencing this? Suggestions for what can be done, if anything? I keep imagining this happening on election night. Not good to be locked out at anytime ... but on election night ....
My panic-stricken, bordering on the hysterical, sentiments exactly.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Lost connection to MySQL server during query [2013]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: flythenestorguk@gmail.com
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

ErnstRemarx wrote:Lest anyone be downcast about the latest (silly) ICM poll, here's an article that shows considerably more awareness, and some very interesting figures...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 88173.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ICM isn't that silly this week tbh - it has a tie before adjusting for Tories being more likely to vote (though that doesn't take account of Labour's superior ground game)

Yes, I have tried to get onto here several times recently - only to get that dreaded "General Error" message :twisted:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ Hobiejoe

Trying to thank you via normal channels has proved a thankless task - so, thank you.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

A plague of SQuirreLs, yet again.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

For everyone who's mentioned/noticed it, the errors seem to have subsided, so I imagine that Dan has restarted the SQL software - I will check and report back (and find out how to do it myself!).

Another interesting Indy article that nails the housing problem:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 89495.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Finally - from being derided in the Tory meeja to apparently becoming crumpet... I bet Lynton and the boys at the Mail didn't envisage this when they sought to show Miliband as some sort of serial womaniser...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 87968.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Just saw Rogers post so deleted my nonsense.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Lord Ashcroft
Ashcroft National Poll, 17-19 April: CON 34%, LAB 30%, LDEM 10%, UKIP 13%, GRN 4%. Details on @ConHome, 4pm:
Yeah, right! :lol:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Finding it almost impossible to post or use FTN this afternoon. Slow beyond belief and keep getting 'general error' message. This seems to be happening quite frequently now. Anyone else experiencing this? Suggestions for what can be done, if anything? I keep imagining this happening on election night. Not good to be locked out at anytime ... but on election night ....
Same here - it's only now I've been able to get back on.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Just back from a neighbouring village canvassing session. Interesting - purely anecdotal and very small sample obviously - as we got a real impression of several of those who had previously voted Tory saying they were now undecided - with a strong whiff that that meant they were considering Ukip instead - with a couple actually saying that. We've not had that sense before in other places.

Oh surely not. Those lovely anti-austerity Plaid people wouldn't do that.
That nice Leanne Wood said they wouldn't have cuts and she wouldn't lie would she ?

Oops....hours in the garden haven't made me any less cynical about Wales' SNP wannabes.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Lord Ashcroft
Ashcroft National Poll, 17-19 April: CON 34%, LAB 30%, LDEM 10%, UKIP 13%, GRN 4%. Details on @ConHome, 4pm:
I read [Smithson I think] that Tories had to improve on 4% before they got into seat gaining territory...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Lord Ashcroft
Labour on the same percentage as the last GE - indeed, a likely story (not)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Holyrood magazine
‏@HolyroodDaily

Edinburgh North & Leith: SNP on 43%, Lab 29%, Con 14% - according to latest polling from Lord Ashcroft.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Hope things are ok round where Letsskip lives.
There have been 600 deliberate fires started on grassland in the valleys.

As well as risking life and costing public services a fortune, if the arsonists continue they could block roads to polling stations on May 7th.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... ed-9082791" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

citizenJA wrote:
Same here - it's only now I've been able to get back on.
Dan's emailed to say he's going to check it out once he's back home, so I'll report his findings. I've also asked what I can do to help (being vaguely IT literate), since it sounds to me like the SQL database has done a whoopsie or the indexing's got screwed up. Seems to me that Dan having to do all the background work is unfair on him, and I'm sure he'd like the odd holiday secure in the knowledge that if FTN goes down then someone else will be able to get it running again. As an ex DBA and support person, I sort of fit the bill, but if others would like to help out (assuming that Dan can actually share the load, ie, it's feasible) then I suspect that would be reasonably wise.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

@yahyah

Have PM'd you.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Lord Ashcroft
Labour on the same percentage as the last GE - indeed, a likely story (not)
Agreed. That looks a crock of shit to me, frankly. Did you check out the Indy story I posted earlier Anatoly? The one showing the figures in the key marginals? Looked rather more persuasive, given that they're the seats that will be lost and gained rather than the Surrey South Easts and Wigans of this world.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

John Cooper ‏@John_Cooper_QC 59 mins59 minutes ago

Are the Thanet Tories really saying vote Labour in key marginal? http://ind.pn/1JZhv9h" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB Apr 12

Panelbase S Times Scotland poll finds 51% saying they'd vote no in new IndyRef to 42% YES. Biggest gap since the referendum
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 4 hrs4 hours ago
ENGLAND & WALES ONLY figures from today's Populus poll
CON 34.33%
LAB 35.18%
LD 8.52%
UKIP 16.10%
A 5.5% CON to LAB swing since 2010
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

‏@adamboultonSKY  28 mins
Adam Boulton

CORRECTION @SkyNews POLL OF POLLS
CON 34%
LAB 33%
UKIP 13%
OTH 11%.

PROJECTION: HUNG CON 281 LAB 273 LD 18 UKIP 2 SNP 53 OTH 23 MPs
LD 9%
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

On a very rare visit to the Graun, I find an article that links nicely to the one I posted above about house prices, and which nails the economic problems of the UK quite handily.

It should be more widely read.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/eco ... is-working" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Population of each of the following regions: London, SE, East of England, NW and W Midlands all bigger than Scotland (wrt population) and Yorkshire and Humberside very close. And only the NE is smaller than Wales.

When do the English regions get their say eh?

:zen:
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The deadline for registering to vote expired just over an hour ago - the signs are cautiously optimistic that the recent appeals have had some effect.

And you can see Ed on the BBC tonight at 1930 hrs :)
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

'Cool Ed Miliband' Imagines The Labour Leader As You've Never Seen Him Before
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/04 ... _hp_ref=uk
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ian ‏@Mancman10 11 mins11 minutes ago Manchester, England
Today's Populus poll:
LAB 34%(=)
CON 32%(-1)
UKIP 15%(+1)
LDEM 9%(=)
#GE2015
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've probably said this before but I really don't feel that the SNP will do quite so spectacularly well as is predicted.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Sunny Hundal ‏@sunny_hundal 2 hrs2 hours ago

More undecided voters are moving towards Labour than others; the least moving away from Labour - Lord Ashcroft poll
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ian ‏@Mancman10 16 mins16 minutes ago Manchester, England
Polls 2day:

YG: LAB 35 CON 34 UKIP 13 LD 8
Pop: LAB 34 CON 32 UKIP 15 LD 9
ICM:CON 34 LAB 32 UKIP 11 LD 10
Ash:CON 34 LAB 30 UKIP 13 LD 10
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Cameron, ecstatic at the thought of all those SNP/Green votes helping him beat Labour.

Or did he eat too many baked beans for lunch ?
Last edited by yahyah on Mon 20 Apr, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 7 hrs7 hours ago
YouGov/TES poll of teachers has

44% Labour
29% Tory
10% LD
7% UKIP
6% Greens
At GE10 CON had 1% lead
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

ohsocynical wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 7 hrs7 hours ago

44% Labour
29% Tory
10% LD
7% UKIP
6% Greens
At GE10 CON had 1% lead
I saw that - unsurprising, given that Gove did his level best to destroy teaching as a career and vocation. Morgan is simply doing the same policy a little more stealthily. That's a lot of votes to lose, and parents will no doubt be influenced.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 7 hrs7 hours ago

44% Labour
29% Tory
10% LD
7% UKIP
6% Greens
At GE10 CON had 1% lead

That 7% UKIP is worrying. Would have hoped intelligent folk would not go along with their policies.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

yahyah wrote:Image

Cameron, ecstatic at the thought of all those SNP/Green votes helping him beat Labour.

Or did he eat too many baked beans for lunch ?
...and anybody who believes this will believe anything:
SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon promised voters in the rest of the UK her party would use its influence after the General Election “responsibly and constructively”.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3747111

The pose in the Scotsman photo is probably a Freudian slip - but today is the birthday of another well known National Socialist leader!