Tuesday 21st April 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
frightful_oik
Whip

Re: Tuesday 21st April 2015

Post by frightful_oik »

onebuttonmonkey wrote:Edit: double post removed. This site's running *very* slow for me today; don't know if its my Victorian, steam-powered, bakelite laptop or something on the server side...
No, it's been getting worse all day.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Oh god.
The baby squirrels are cuter than the baby badgers.
I wish people (or in this case squirrels) wouldn't appeal to my better nature.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

And now UKPR's crashed. You didn't pull the wrong plug out did you Paul?
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.totalpolitics.com/blog/44881 ... nd-i.thtml?
Michael Gove's wife compares Ed Miliband to Uncle Monty from Withnail and I
Am I actually still here - or have I slipped, unknowingly, into a parallel universe?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:Can't have leftwingers actually talking to each other.
Indeed. Might overthrow the bastard elite or some such thing.

Mind you - I do like a nice bit of cake.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Evidently yesterday evening, Conservatives were knocking on door round our way. Didn't knock at our house because I have the Labour poster up.

My daughter in law opened the door to them. One of them asked brightly who she was going to vote for...None of your business she snapped and slammed the door in their face....She's voting Labour btw.

It's one of the reasons I haven't volunteered to go doorstepping...
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Hurrah!
I'm able to get on the thread again!
Anyone else having a devil of a time on the website?
Error messages like the kind Ohso posted yesterday.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

onebuttonmonkey wrote:I've just had far too much fun churning this comment out over at the G about the atrocious Mr. ShappsFoxGreen:
Over in Shappsworld, I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, to discover that a former web-company owner with a history of misleading people about his own name has been alleged to be using the internet to lie about things. Who could have seen that coming:

Grant Shapps accused of editing Wikipedia pages of Tory rivals
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ory-rivals

In other news, an open letter condemning the actions of Grant Shapps, was issued today.

"Please make Shapps stop," said the letter, which was signed by a hundred members of the Association of Hucksters, Charlatans and Frauds. "His laughable dishonesty and complete haplessness at lying is destroying the hard-earned reputation of ordinary, hardworking confidence tricksters"

"Grifters like us have dedicated years to differently-truthed wealth creation, and for what? So that a crap Peter Powell lookalike who couldn't lie his way out of a three -word sentence can come along and make the rest of us look bad?" the letter continued. "No, really. This is so crap it's embarrassing."

"I've thrown away pairs of shoes that were more convincing businessmen than that gormless, teddy-bear faced dimwit," it concluded.

Rumours that the Tories had so little regard for the electorate that they couldn't even be arsed to lie convincingly to us were promptly removed from sight by an anonymous source who is unlikely to be able to spell any of his several names, or remember what dates he is supposed to have been called them.
Seriously, the fact he's so crap at it is genuinely more insulting than were he more competent. I can't explain why, but it really is...

Grant V Shapps, if you please. I can't remember all the ins and outs of it now, but he adopted the V at some point because he doesn't have a middle name. Although he either denies it or has forgotten it because it was so long ago. Except he's apparently registered on the electoral roll as Grant V Shapps. Strange bloke.
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

Post by onebuttonmonkey »

PorFavor wrote:
onebuttonmonkey wrote:I've just had far too much fun churning this comment out over at the G about the atrocious Mr. ShappsFoxGreen:
Over in Shappsworld, I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, to discover that a former web-company owner with a history of misleading people about his own name has been alleged to be using the internet to lie about things. Who could have seen that coming:

Grant Shapps accused of editing Wikipedia pages of Tory rivals
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ory-rivals

In other news, an open letter condemning the actions of Grant Shapps, was issued today.

"Please make Shapps stop," said the letter, which was signed by a hundred members of the Association of Hucksters, Charlatans and Frauds. "His laughable dishonesty and complete haplessness at lying is destroying the hard-earned reputation of ordinary, hardworking confidence tricksters"

"Grifters like us have dedicated years to differently-truthed wealth creation, and for what? So that a crap Peter Powell lookalike who couldn't lie his way out of a three -word sentence can come along and make the rest of us look bad?" the letter continued. "No, really. This is so crap it's embarrassing."

"I've thrown away pairs of shoes that were more convincing businessmen than that gormless, teddy-bear faced dimwit," it concluded.

Rumours that the Tories had so little regard for the electorate that they couldn't even be arsed to lie convincingly to us were promptly removed from sight by an anonymous source who is unlikely to be able to spell any of his several names, or remember what dates he is supposed to have been called them.
Seriously, the fact he's so crap at it is genuinely more insulting than were he more competent. I can't explain why, but it really is...

Grant V Shapps, if you please. I can't remember all the ins and outs of it now, but he adopted the V at some point because he doesn't have a middle name. Although he either denies it or has forgotten it because it was so long ago. Except he's apparently registered on the electoral roll as Grant V Shapps. Strange bloke.
This one completely passed me by. Also, seeing as I've no reason at all to suspect you're Grant Shapps, I believe you, too. What a very strange man he is. How arrogant/stupid/I don't even know what he is to just keep blundering on uselessly; and how rubbish the Tories are if he's the best chairman they can get.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Evening all,

Received my postal vote today so that's now filled in and ready to pop in the postbox tomorrow.

I see a few of you posted about the excellent news re: voter registrations in the last few weeks/days but I don't think anyone posted the breakdown on the age ranges. This is from the final day.

So pleased to see that the #register2015 from last 24 hours appears to have worked. Who said social media didn't matter? Together we are legion. :D
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Could somebody help me out please?

Although I read a fair bit, I very rarely tackle works of fiction so asked my mate, Michael Green, to direct me toward the latest blockbuster. Its title left something to be desired, something about leadership, economic plans and a secure future. My problem; is this a comedy or correctly categorised as tragedy?

Edit: changed 'a mate' to 'my mate, Michael Green'. Keeping it topical.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Tue 21 Apr, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Two male doctors have been charged with manslaughter by gross negligence after a 30-year-old mother died while having an emergency caesarean.

Primary school teacher Frances Cappuccini died at Pembury Hospital, Tunbridge Wells, in October 2012.

Dr Nadeem Azeez, 52, formerly of Chestnut Avenue, Tunbridge Wells, and Dr Errol Cornish, 67, of Holmbury Park, Bromley, have both been charged with gross negligence manslaughter.

An international arrest warrant has been issued for Dr Azeez, who is believed to have left the country for Pakistan, Kent Police said.

The Crown Prosecution Service has also authorised a charge of corporate manslaughter against Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust.

Ms Cappuccini died a few hours after her son was born during the operation. The baby survived.

The first hearing in the case is due to take place at Sevenoaks Magistrates’ Court on May 1.

A spokeswoman for the Trust said there was no comment to make at this stage.
ITV news
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

utopiandreams wrote:Could somebody help me out please?

Although I read a fair bit, I very rarely tackle works of fiction so asked a mate to direct me toward the latest blockbuster. Its title left something to be desired, something about leadership, economic plans and a secure future. My problem; is this a comedy or correctly categorised as tragedy?
A farce?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

onebuttonmonkey wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

This one completely passed me by. Also, seeing as I've no reason at all to suspect you're Grant Shapps, I believe you, too. What a very strange man he is. How arrogant/stupid/I don't even know what he is to just keep blundering on uselessly; and how rubbish the Tories are if he's the best chairman they can get.
Just to set your mind at rest - no, I'm definitely not Grant Shapps. Although he probably says that, too . . . .
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm just hearing re-runs of John Major's "clear and present danger" effort. The more I hear it, the more ludicrous it sounds. Shades of David Cameron's "locked and loaded" twaddle.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The site is acting up.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

onebuttonmonkey wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

I've thought for a long time he has a serious problem.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Spacedone wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:Could somebody help me out please?

Although I read a fair bit, I very rarely tackle works of fiction so asked a mate to direct me toward the latest blockbuster. Its title left something to be desired, something about leadership, economic plans and a secure future. My problem; is this a comedy or correctly categorised as tragedy?
A farce?
A Whitehall farce, presumably.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Glenda's little boy has awarded today's honours to the Tories who have, and I quote, "got Labour on the back foot"; the similarities between his blog (I won't insult you with a link, it really isn't worth the read) and Wintour's piece of drivel are spooky .... well, they would be spooky if it wasn't obvious that they had written them in cahoots. Funniest part though is that the Telegraph have stopped opening comments below the blog, presumably Dan took exception to all the names he was being called. :toss:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

citizenJA wrote:Hurrah!
I'm able to get on the thread again!
Anyone else having a devil of a time on the website?
Error messages like the kind Ohso posted yesterday.
Yes citizen - the site seems to need a late afternoon nap pretty much every day at the mo. I was locked out at about 4pm - gave up and went and did my gardening work here (minimum 2 hours daily ... and that's not nearly enough at present).
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Can someone enlighten me please. What hold does Grant Shapps / Fox / Green have over Cameron and the Cons that he is still Chairman of the party and entrusted (ha even that word in association with him makes me giggle) with representing them at the London Standard hustings? What on earth is it he's got on them? There can't be any other explanation for allowing him to continue ... embarrassment after embarrassment (and that's the polite word).

Or is Cameron basically setting him up to be the fall guy when they lose the election?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Glenda's little boy has awarded today's honours to the Tories who have, and I quote, "got Labour on the back foot"; the similarities between his blog (I won't insult you with a link, it really isn't worth the read) and Wintour's piece of drivel are spooky .... well, they would be spooky if it wasn't obvious that they had written them in cahoots. Funniest part though is that the Telegraph have stopped opening comments below the blog, presumably Dan took exception to all the names he was being called. :toss:
I don't bother reading the Telegraph, it is just dross.

The jury is out on whether the SNP strategy is working for Cameron. I don't think the Tory party is putting forward any sort of proposal to the people at the moment, so it comes down to this. Will they scare enough voters such that they vote for them versus Labour or the Lib Dems, and will they pay a price for the negative campaigning. The intervention of two senior Tories against him shows he is paying some sort of price already.

I will nervously watch the next two YouGov polls to see if it is working.
Release the Guardvarks.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Glenda's little boy has awarded today's honours to the Tories who have, and I quote, "got Labour on the back foot"; the similarities between his blog (I won't insult you with a link, it really isn't worth the read) and Wintour's piece of drivel are spooky .... well, they would be spooky if it wasn't obvious that they had written them in cahoots. Funniest part though is that the Telegraph have stopped opening comments below the blog, presumably Dan took exception to all the names he was being called. :toss:
I don't bother reading the Telegraph, it is just dross.

The jury is out on whether the SNP strategy is working for Cameron. I don't think the Tory party is putting forward any sort of proposal to the people at the moment, so it comes down to this. Will they scare enough voters such that they vote for them versus Labour or the Lib Dems, and will they pay a price for the negative campaigning. The intervention of two senior Tories against him shows he is paying some sort of price already.

I will nervously watch the next two YouGov polls to see if it is working.
There's nothing that the SNP can do that will cause Labour problems. Trident for example, unless the tories vote against it to spite Miliband, it would be renewed.

As petty as they are I can't see that happening.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Can someone enlighten me please. What hold does Grant Shapps / Fox / Green have over Cameron and the Cons that he is still Chairman of the party and entrusted (ha even that word in association with him makes me giggle) with representing them at the London Standard hustings? What on earth is it he's got on them? There can't be any other explanation for allowing him to continue ... embarrassment after embarrassment (and that's the polite word).

Or is Cameron basically setting him up to be the fall guy when they lose the election?
The same has been said about IDS.

Cameron's the problem. He's in a job he has no talent for. It's way above his head. I doubt he'd recognise incompetence or ulterior motives if they bit him in the ass.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Can someone enlighten me please. What hold does Grant Shapps / Fox / Green have over Cameron and the Cons that he is still Chairman of the party and entrusted (ha even that word in association with him makes me giggle) with representing them at the London Standard hustings? What on earth is it he's got on them? There can't be any other explanation for allowing him to continue ... embarrassment after embarrassment (and that's the polite word).

The same has been said about IDS.

Cameron's the problem. He's in a job he has no talent for. It's way above his head. I doubt he'd recognise incompetence or ulterior motives if they bit him in the ass.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I took a wander over to Wikipedia to have a look at the entry for Grant Shapps (no, I don't really know why, either).

However, I quickly came across this -
On 9 June 2010, he was appointed as a Privy Counsellor[sic]. (my emphasis)
Did he write this?

(I didn't get any further.)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I think we've only to look at American politics to recognise what's happening here. Big business, the multi-nationals and corporations need someone at the helm who can be manipulated, bribed, persuaded.

The arrogant schoolboys who've gained power certainly didn't get there through talent. They're easy meat for a rapacious company.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

This is definitely the successor to the backstabber Trident risk narrative eh? Let's get it all blown up so people look away from the Conservatives' limp ****.
Nigel Farage ‏@Nigel_Farage Apr 20
ALL party leaders in outright appeasement of @NicolaSturgeon and @theSNP. Labour voters should #VoteUKIP to stand up for England and Wales.

Adam Boulton retweeted
Alastair Campbell ‏@campbellclaret 3m3 minutes ago
@Nigel_Farage @adamboultonSKY @theSNP utter cock Nige. @Ed_Miliband the only leader standing up for UK. You Dave and Nicola all Nats now
Andrew Marr ‏@AndrewMarr9 2h2 hours ago Camden Town, London
My instinct – no more than that – is that the Tories have finally found an issue which is cutting through… The SNP
They've conjured up an issue ... he obviously didn't see Michael Crick talking to voters last night ... they couldn't give a toss about the SNP ... there was more news and excitement from the dog growling at the sound mike.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tories bankrolled by hedge funds in offshore tax havens, new analysis shows
Published time: April 16, 2015

Sixteen of Europe’s 50 most prolific hedge funds are financing the Conservatives. Each of these funds is nestled in a far-flung offshore tax haven, the data reveals.

Critics suggest the Conservative Party’s outward opposition to tax avoidance is politically motivated lip service, with no firm basis in policy.

http://rt.com/uk/250325-tories-bankroll ... -industry/
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
Tories bankrolled by hedge funds in offshore tax havens, new analysis shows
Published time: April 16, 2015

Sixteen of Europe’s 50 most prolific hedge funds are financing the Conservatives. Each of these funds is nestled in a far-flung offshore tax haven, the data reveals.

Critics suggest the Conservative Party’s outward opposition to tax avoidance is politically motivated lip service, with no firm basis in policy.

http://rt.com/uk/250325-tories-bankroll ... -industry/
Jeez. And here was me thinking that they really were trying really really hard to do their best for us, they just weren't very good at it.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Christopher Hope ‏@christopherhope 6m6 minutes ago London, England
Charities "in my constituency" will close down if zero hours contracts are banned, says @grantshapps #GE2015 #londonhustings
Big Society rides again.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Jeez. And here was me thinking that they really were trying really really hard to do their best for us, they just weren't very good at it.
Yes. It is a pure side-effect that society's wealth has been hi-jacked and stashed away offshore in tory bank accounts. Just resting in their accounts before being unleashed to create the long-promised earthly heaven of free markets, I expect.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Anyway -

John Major v Norman Tebbit

Which one of those two have more of a reputation with the general public for being "right\reliable\respected" (lazy shorthand)?

(I don't know the answer - I just pose the question.)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

From C4 News...no explanation necessary.

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

There will be polls very soon on the Scottish question - that most people would never have offered an opinion on unprompted - that will underline this latest piece of media coordination and keep 'the story' in the headlines so that real issues can be ignored.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Local Tories in Wellingborough turn on their Tory candidate Peter Bone
https://tompride.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There seems to be a bit of a meltdown in the true blue constituency of Wellingborough as local Tories are turning on their MP of 10 years Peter Bone.

Amazingly, a website has been set up by local Tories accusing Bone of expenses ‘scandals’ and even urging local Tories not to vote for him:

The Truth About Peter https://thetruthaboutpeter.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like some juicy stuff about Bone is about to be aired – just in time for the election.
The website linked to is something else ....

Some of these Tory constituencies seem to have very bitter battles going on - that can't be kept under wraps even when an election is underway. The Guto Bebb fall out with the Chair of the constituency party seems pretty virulent too.
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

Bad news tonight I think.
Tom Newton DunnVerified account
‏@tnewtondunn

Could fears of a Labour-SNP power sharing deal be the big #GE2015 game changer? We have an interesting @YouGov poll later.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rearofthestore wrote:Bad news tonight I think.
‏@tnewtondunn

Could fears of a Labour-SNP power sharing deal be the big #GE2015 game changer? We have an interesting @YouGov poll later.
Oh crap!!! don't say that....
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

‏@tnewtondunn

But I thought that Nicola Sturgeon was meant to be universally popular. That's what we were being told. How can the prospect of the SNP at Westminster be so unpalatable (admittedly Alex Salmond could well be a factor)?

Edited to tidy up
Last edited by PorFavor on Tue 21 Apr, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

ohsocynical wrote:
‏@tnewtondunn

Oh crap!!! don't say that....
Well if they are getting any sort of bounce it is today, SNP manifesto and no real negative coverage yesterday.

Hopefully this is an outlier. My feeling is it is transient and the campaign will return to what matters.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Pollster @Nye_Rick:

Ed Miliband becomes Prime Minister in "eight out of ten" scenarios

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02pdmyp
I'm sticking with this. :zen: :zen: :zen:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

‏@tnewtondunn

Yup. Smithson seems to think it means the Tories are up ...
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

ohsocynical wrote:
Pollster @Nye_Rick:

Ed Miliband becomes Prime Minister in "eight out of ten" scenarios

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02pdmyp
I'm sticking with this. :zen: :zen: :zen:
So am I!
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Postal vote waiting here to be filled in. Haven't decided who to vote for yet. :wink:

Owen Jones on fine form. Pragmatism is the name of the game. Kick out the Tories, whatever it takes.

A cruel society is being built. Voting Labour begins the fightback

http://gu.com/p/47ytd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

‏@tnewtondunn

This is for you -

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edited to add -

(A bit of Cat Stevens never goes amiss, I always think.)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

can we have an "I'm on pills for me nerves" emoticon.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:Postal vote waiting here to be filled in. Haven't decided who to vote for yet. :wink:

Owen Jones on fine form. Pragmatism is the name of the game. Kick out the Tories, whatever it takes.

A cruel society is being built. Voting Labour begins the fightback

http://gu.com/p/47ytd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Below the line is an insult to professional right-wing trolls everywhere. Junk.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 29 mins29 minutes ago

@mcollinsucl The daily YouGov is usually Tweeted at about 10.30pm - though could be earlier if the Sun politics team is excited

Jeez. I wonder what that poll is going to say. No, no, don't tell me.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

One of the men who broke the Bank of England sees a crash coming

http://moneyweek.com/stanley-druckenmil ... sh-coming/
La, la, la, la, la :zen:
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

ohsocynical wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 29 mins29 minutes ago

@mcollinsucl The daily YouGov is usually Tweeted at about 10.30pm - though could be earlier if the Sun politics team is excited

Jeez. I wonder what that poll is going to say. No, no, don't tell me.
Given what's gone on previously a detailed analysis of the weighting of tonight's YouGov poll may be appropriate.