Friday 24th April

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 24th April

Post by ohsocynical »

Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 3 hrs3 hours ago

Apologies to all but haven't been able on my time zone and schedule to finish my latest marginal seats research. Will be issued Sat at 9am.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

ohsocynical wrote:Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 3 hrs3 hours ago

Apologies to all but haven't been able on my time zone and schedule to finish my latest marginal seats research. Will be issued Sat at 9am.
I need a translation of that.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Willow904 wrote:
Spacedone wrote:Anyone hear the Newsbeat interview with Miliband? Hard to tell how it went from Twitter.

Further investigation of Twitter makes it sound like the host did a Kay Burley.
I saw the one with Cameron (and have posted a link previously) and although I haven't see the one with Ed I'd be surprised if Chris Smith was any tougher on him than he was on Cameron. I don't think anyone has spoken to Cameron in such an un-deferential manner in a very, very long time. So no, not a Kay Burley, nothing like.
I've got as far as the 2nd question which was can we trust you when you shafted your brother (I paraphrase)

Smith managed to twist it into an attack (by him) on the NHS in Wales & how awful it is under the Labour administration !
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

NeilMckt ‏@neilmckt 31 mins31 minutes ago

Trying not to get excited about this ENGLAND ONLY data Ipsos-MORI

LAB 37
CON 35
UKIP 11
LD 8

6.7% CON to LAB if true massive for Labour
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Celebrities sign statement of support for Caroline Lucas – but not the Greens
Artists, business leaders and scientists endorse Caroline Lucas’s re-election to Brighton Pavilion but refrain from backing her party nationally
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... reen-party" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Natalie Bennett will be thrilled. I feel a bit sorry for for her (genuinely).

(Can't get along with those em things - I tried.)
I think you should try for longer than 0.4567 minutes.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

ephemerid wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:Kingston-upon-Thames is amongst a pilot programme by UK charities (here, the Trussell Trust) in conjunction with nPower which uses money left in gas/electricity accounts (or as credit on pay-as-you-go meters,) where a tenant or resident has moved away and cannot be traced to be refunded, to help those who are 'self-disconnecting' due to poverty.
Poverty-stricken families who face the dilemma of whether to heat their homes or go hungry will be given free fuel vouchers under a new pilot scheme so they can afford to meet soaring energy bills in a climate of ongoing austerity.
The scheme, which will be offered to all referred individuals, will be initially tested in 21 locations across Gloucester, Kingston-upon-Thames and County Durham. If considered successful, nPower will extend the initiative with the objective of assisting as many as 13,000 British households over the first 12 months.
The vouchers will be offered in accordance with the Trussell Trust’s protocols, with struggling households being entitled to a total of three per year.
http://rt.com/uk/252745-fuel-poverty-fo ... mpaign=RSS

I suppose I should applaud this. But I can't. On the same basis I am not cheered by the proliferation of food banks.

Npower is as likely to cut off these people's fuel supply as any other provider. It has an appalling customer service record.

The money is from other customers who seemingly don't want it back - not from Npower itself.

Npower is owned by the German giant RWE. It's operating profit this year was £163 Million.

Forgive me, LadyC - despite the fact that some people may be helped by this, I am not happy that such a scheme should exist.
I'm with you both, Ephe and Ohso. This should not be necessary and nPower are far from paragons of virtue – I think, in this case they are acting as the 'broker' of the scheme on behalf of all the gas/electricity providers who hold unclaimed funds. It is 'a response' of sorts to the problem so far being solved by giving people 'kettle boxes' or 'cold boxes' of food by the TT when the recipients cannot afford to put money in the meter to heat their home or even their food.

But it sickens me that people are prevented from even getting a hardship payment until they've been without Social Security for two weeks. It angers me that a new claimant of UC is expected to wait six or seven weeks for their first month's money. And it appals me that people's Social Security is randomly 'not-switched-through' and that people are sanctioned for a host of incredibly petty reasons. We're at the stage of people being denied SS for the equivalent of 'wearing a loud shirt in a built-up area' – although, in that sketch, at least the Desk Sergeant refused to permit the (spells it carefully) Constable to charge his victim. I'm ashamed that people are left unable to buy sufficient food, to cook, heat, or light, their homes, to adequately clothe themselves (even from bloody charity shops!), or to do any of the things (even in a frugal manner) that should be the hallmark of one of the wealthiest countries in the world; and even more ashamed that this is done to people intentionally, at the behest and connivance of a so-called civilised government. And that this 'charity' should be necessary for working people, on top... Words fail...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
MICHAEL ASHCROFT
The Tories are turning off undecided voters
Some voters who prefer Cameron to Miliband but Labour to the Tories are starting to make their minds up – in favour of Labour

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 02890.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 2h2 hours ago
How are there people who prefer Cameron to Miliband? Am not renowned for being socially skilled, so please tell me. Am I missing something?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

diGriz wrote:

Suggested translations: "Sorry, I'm overseas and have been too busy with other things to finish... etc.," or, "Bugger, I overslept. Should get the latest lot of marginals done by morning. Oops!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
MICHAEL ASHCROFT
The Tories are turning off undecided voters
Some voters who prefer Cameron to Miliband but Labour to the Tories are starting to make their minds up – in favour of Labour

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 02890.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 2h2 hours ago
How are there people who prefer Cameron to Miliband? Am not renowned for being socially skilled, so please tell me. Am I missing something?
Yes - it's a vital attachment known as the pleb adaptor - makes you receptive to synthetic blandishments, open to bribes based on greed and one upmanship, and totally in thrall to dog whistles (you will automatically fall in with the 'us' dogs not the 'them' dogs). C
Working on the wild side.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

LadyCentauria wrote:
diGriz wrote:

Suggested translations: "Sorry, I'm overseas and have been too busy with other things to finish... etc.," or, "Bugger, I overslept. Should get the latest lot of marginals done by morning. Oops!"
Does it mean something along the lines of:
I'm not as young as used to be but I fit in contributing very significant a) research and b) curation to this site in between baking an astounding array of cakes and pastries, keeping an eye on my extended family, contributing to the local community, trying to stay sane while talking to idiots, AND refraining from beating Mr Cynical about the head.

?

Edited to recognise I completely misread this (see below).
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Fri 24 Apr, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

ohsocynical wrote:NeilMckt ‏@neilmckt 31 mins31 minutes ago

Trying not to get excited about this ENGLAND ONLY data Ipsos-MORI

LAB 37
CON 35
UKIP 11
LD 8

6.7% CON to LAB if true massive for Labour
Hi OhSo
Saw this too but can't find any backup data elsewhere even on the ipsos-mori website. Hope its true though.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

LadyCentauria wrote:
diGriz wrote:

Or possibly "Buggrit, however hard I try I can't skew the weighting any more"?
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:
diGriz wrote: I need a translation of that.
Or possibly "Buggrit, however hard I try I can't skew the weighting any more"?
god. my communication skills are so poor I confused Ohso with Ashcroft.

Ohso - I don't know how to apologise.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

MY NERVES ARE IN SHREDS

A vermouth, I think.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

tinyclanger2 wrote:MY NERVES ARE IN SHREDS

A vermouth, I think.
Have a couple of these :hug: :hug:, one or two of these, :heart: :heart: :heart:, and a liberal dash of :zen: with your vermouth xxx
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

William Hague could crush a man's skull between his legs, David Cameron says
If ever there was a headline that was a hostage to fortune ...... :rofl:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -says.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:
Does it mean something along the lines of:
I'm not as young as used to be but I fit in contributing very significant a) research and b) curation to this site in between baking an astounding array of cakes and pastries, keeping an eye on my extended family, contributing to the local community, trying to stay sane while talking to idiots, AND refraining from beating Mr Cynical about the head.

?

Edited to recognise I completely misread this (see below).
Damn. You've got me down to a T. :lol: :lol: :lol:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:MY NERVES ARE IN SHREDS

A vermouth, I think.
Brilliant!
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

LadyCentauria wrote:
diGriz wrote:

I'm too cynical (plus I don't speak tweet) I read it as 'it's too accurate, wait till I get back to tweak it in the 'right' direction'. :shock:

But it did read as gibberish.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -says.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
good god.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

pk1 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
Spacedone wrote:Anyone hear the Newsbeat interview with Miliband? Hard to tell how it went from Twitter.

Further investigation of Twitter makes it sound like the host did a Kay Burley.
I saw the one with Cameron (and have posted a link previously) and although I haven't see the one with Ed I'd be surprised if Chris Smith was any tougher on him than he was on Cameron. I don't think anyone has spoken to Cameron in such an un-deferential manner in a very, very long time. So no, not a Kay Burley, nothing like.
I've got as far as the 2nd question which was can we trust you when you shafted your brother (I paraphrase)

Smith managed to twist it into an attack (by him) on the NHS in Wales & how awful it is under the Labour administration !
I've just managed to listen to a bit of it and you're right, it was all pretty hostile. No one was happy with the answer they got, but then they weren't very happy with any of Cameron's answers either. To be frank, it all sounded a bit tired and flat because they were mostly well worn media obsessions, things we've heard put to Miliband over and over again, particularly the brother question. Apparently the brother thing meant the questioner couldn't trust Miliband. "How can I trust you" he says, clearly prepared to continue to distrust him regardless of whatever Ed answered. Some of it seemed a bit pointless as a result. Oh and Ed was a lot calmer than Cameron, who got a bit tetchy, which made his interview a bit livelier.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

good god.
Something stronger than a vermouth required for that image I think.
Working on the wild side.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: If ever there was a headline that was a hostage to fortune ...... :rofl:

good god.
Bleach?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: If ever there was a headline that was a hostage to fortune ...... :rofl:

good god.
And there's me without a drop in the house!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Ohso, I love your new signature!
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Never gone along with this Hague nonsense of being an elder statesman type politician, right wingers talking him up.

Don't forget this is the man who when faced with certain allegations, probably gossip being a better word disclosed private information regarding his wife's inability to have children, if he had any integrity he would have told the press to keep my wife out of it.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.

And thanks so much for the William Hague image. What with that and the Lincoln by-pass worry, I'll have a rough night.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

diGriz wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:
I'm too cynical (plus I don't speak tweet) I read it as 'it's too accurate, wait till I get back to tweak it in the 'right' direction'. :shock:

But it did read as gibberish.
Andrew Brooks ‏@taxbod 27 mins27 minutes ago

Lord Ashcroft. Happy to involve himself in the Uk election. Just not so happy to pay UK tax.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Dan Hodges Verified account
‏@DPJHodges
Just read latest @May2015NS analysis. Says if Ed gets a big enough swing he'll win enough Tory marginals to get to 323. I agree.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Night PF :)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, PF
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Peter Hitchens twitter is worth a read if you are in need of a laugh..
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Mike Wood rightly informs the twitter thread "anyone gets a 'big enough swing' they'll get to 323"
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

I don't think Ashcroft would have written that Indy piece if the figures tomorrow weren't half decent for Labour..

Fingers crossed eh..
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Night PF. Night all.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Just came across this again on Twitter
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 21.13.07.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 21.13.07.png (450.73 KiB) Viewed 7494 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

cutchswife ‏@cutchswife 2 hrs2 hours ago

UN says Katie Hopkins' migrant 'cockroaches' column is like pro-genocide propaganda

http://ind.pn/1d9a8RQ
I'd say many of the insults and rhetoric that's been aimed at the disabled, unemployed and those less well, has been pretty near the knuckle too.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Just came across this again on Twitter
One of my favourite cartoons! Thanks for the replay :)

Goodnight PF, umm, TGS, umm, anyone else who's signing out or signed out already :hug: :heart:
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Ah bless. Clegg's still trying to act like he's going to be the kingmaker.

Vote Oliver Coppard. :rock:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Michael Taylor ‏@MarpleLeaf · 1 hr1 hour ago  Marple, England
We are literally overwhelmed with offers of help, new members joining, requests for garden posts, donations and volunteers. Humbling.
Heartening :D
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

genocide
noun geno·cide \ˈje-nə-ˌsīd\

The deliberate killing of people who belong to a particular racial, political, or cultural group

I'd also say the Tories are getting pretty close to this definition
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

LabourList ‏@LabourList 31 mins31 minutes ago

Labour take 12 point lead in the capital, including huge lead with women voters http://ow.ly/M4sCi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lab 44% (-1) , Con 32% (-2), UKIP 10% (+2), Lib Dem 8% (NC), Greens 5% (+1)

When broken down in terms of gender, women are far more likely to vote Labour than they are Conservative:
Female Male
Con 28 35
Lab 47 41
Lib Dem 8 8
Ukip 12 8
Green 4 6
Among ABC1s (those on higher incomes) and C2DEs (those on lower incomes) Labour fare well at 45% and 41% respectively, while the Conservatives are on 33% and 30% respectively. That surprisingly high lead for Labour among wealthier voters could lead to some unexpected results on May 7th.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Evening all.

I've been lurking at the library all day.

I noticed Hague whining about the mess that Labour left the FCO in back in 2010...including his favourite:
The last Labour government closed more than 13 embassies, withdrew from Latin America and closed the Foreign Office library.
Except that it was clearly in such a mess that no-one knew what was in it which is why D.Miliband had it transferred to Kings College London. This says it all:

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/library/collection ... s/fco.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To date the Foyle Special Collections Library has catalogued around 25,000 items from the FCO Historical Collection, over 30% of the collection; the remainder of the collection, however, is currently uncatalogued.

Now call me Mr Picky but a library really isn't much use unless you know what's in it.

From the dates it looks as though Miliband had it moved when he got into the FCO back in 2007.

Has there ever been a government of such utter lying shits? that's a purely rhetorical question...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

BTW I notice the lead story on the BBC website is still the

Miliband attacks 'UK failure' on Libya

Cameron's EVEL is relegated to 4th

Can they see the writing on the wall?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I've just watched the Cameron John Snow interview. Couldn't drag my eyes away from the width of Dave's parting...
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

For info
Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 12s12 seconds ago
Tonight’s YouGov poll for the Sun sees LAB retain its 2% lead
Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 22s22 seconds ago
Tonight’s YouGov figures
CON 33%, LAB 35%, LD 8%, UKIP 13%, GRN 6%
Edit to add figures
Last edited by rearofthestore on Fri 24 Apr, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, comrades.
love
cJA
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Election 2015: Labour casts doubt over whether it would honour Greater Manchester's NHS devolution deal
Asked whether he would stop the plan, Andy Burnham said he had ‘real misgivings’ about the NHS devolution deal in Greater Manchester, adding that it had been ‘drawn up on the back of an envelope’

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ar_twitter
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

ohsocynical wrote:
Election 2015: Labour casts doubt over whether it would honour Greater Manchester's NHS devolution deal
Asked whether he would stop the plan, Andy Burnham said he had ‘real misgivings’ about the NHS devolution deal in Greater Manchester, adding that it had been ‘drawn up on the back of an envelope’

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ar_twitter
:rock:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Bedtime!!!