sat 25 and sun 26 April

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

sat 25 and sun 26 April

Post by tinyclanger2 »

hobiejoe wrote:But the good news is I'm sat here with a glass of wine, watching the New York Jets on a compilation of Old Grey Whistle Tests on BBC4

Politically? I had a wobble, but confidence is returning. So much so that I'm going to be taking advantage of my locals' knowledge of the online turf accountants to place a wager. Saw 66-1 on a Labour majority from someone....
I know what you mean. Distractions at this time can be vital. Wine. Vermouth. Football. Music. Bluetits. etc.

Bracing myself for day of press ahead. Though perhaps with Labour being dependent on the SNP we won't have press anymore.

Result!

Morning all.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: sat 25 and sun 26 April

Post by tinyclanger2 »

******* **** clegg wrote:Mr Clegg also said a coalition with a party that had the second largest number of seats after 7 May would lack "legitimacy". http://news.sky.com/story/1471856/labou ... stem-clegg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
And yet a coalition including the fourth-ranking party with less than 5 percent of votes and a strong and recent track record in shafting the vast majority of the population would be just fine.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Who gives a toss what Nick ********* Clegg thinks? Anyone? Thought not.

@Tizme. Don't worry if you don't like what some people say. Others are listening. Feel free to like and dislike whatever you want. It's not a site that is solely for Labour tribalists or I wouldn't come here. I want to hear what the Greens are up to. I'll be voting Lab this time but I need somewhere to go if they disappoint me again.

Edited to add extra *.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound 1h1 hour ago
It is unclear if Clegg's views on legitimacy are shared by the rest of his party, of course...
Quite ... and morning all.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Woman who hit Venezuelan president with mango rewarded with house
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/a ... ango-house" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Because ... it's possibly the best headline of the year so far.

And ... can you imagine (in your wildest of wild dreams) anything like that happening for someone who chucked a fruit at Cameron?
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/a ... ango-house" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And ... can you imagine (in your wildest of wild dreams) anything like that happening for someone who chucked a fruit at Cameron?
You're right. With Empty Dave it would need to be a dead catfish or indeed a dead cat to get his attention.
Someone on UKPR just pointed out that what NC says before an election and what he does after can be two very different things.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Trivial but utterly incompetent.

Just who is in charge of implementation in Whitehall. This is beyond stupid. Milli band should just drop as aside into the election campaign and say government needs to get a grip and this will be halted until the idiots fix this problem.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/a ... s-car-hire
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

frightful_oik wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

You're right. With Empty Dave it would need to be a dead catfish or indeed a dead cat to get his attention.
Someone on UKPR just pointed out that what NC says before an election and what he does after can be two very different things.
Or eight, or nine, or ten very different things ... pick your number with Clegg. For all we know he might have already signed off a new coalition deal for the Lib Dems - a la tuition fees and health re organisation last time.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

I'd be interested to hear Alexander, Cable, Laws and Farron pushed for their opinion on Clegg's numerous 'what is legitimate' chats. Chance for the orange bookers to come a cropper? Personally Clegg is playing a dangerous game. If Labour get more votes he's boxed himself in.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Just heading out shopping but caught a discussion on Libya and reconstruction which seemed to be heading in the direction of "Well there wasn't anything to do as they didn't want us involved".

Might be reading too much into it but I could see the 'Miliband gets it wrong on Libya' coming up.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Business leaders voice growing fears over 'disastrous and negative Tory campaign too focussed on personal attacks and scaremongering'
Expressed concerns over tactics employed by the Conservative campaign
Labour leader is now the bookies' favourite to be the next prime minister
'Every time Miliband is visible, he appears credible,' said a company boss
Tory tacticians have now told campaigners to focus on economic success

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ering.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... Speaking to the Financial Times on the condition that they would not be named, one chairman said: 'The negative campaign has been disastrous'.
Another added that the successes of the coalition government, including delivering real economic growth and jobs has become the 'background noise' of the campaign instead of its focus.
But a Conservative spokesman insisted that the campaign's focus on the idea of the SNP in a coalition with Labour is doing well on the doorstep, according to the FT. ...
Sorry for the Mail link. I note these companies don't want to actually be named as being critical of the Tories' campaign ....
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Dont let the SNP grab your cash poster.jpg
Dont let the SNP grab your cash poster.jpg (30 KiB) Viewed 12608 times
I am so glad we live well away from anywhere that the Tories would consider it worthwhile to put up any of their increasingly stupid messages ...

Rural life has a lot of advantages - just realised this is another one.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3754239" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone got an unspinned view on this?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Blomfield ‏@PaulBlomfieldMP 13s14 seconds ago
Orange book project complete as @nick_clegg seeks excuses to seal @LibDems future with Tories. Sad end to social liberalism.
I wonder if there will even be a comment about this latest Clegg manoeuvre on LDV - let alone an article.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 2m 2 minutes ago
Ashcroft CON hold Britstol NW, Colne Valley, High Peak
LAB gain Bristol W

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 4m 4 minutes ago
Ashcroft: UKIP gain Thurrock but lose Rochester

Chart with other seats:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

New Ashcroft marginals poll:
http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2015/04/si ... marginals/

Oops!
edited to add oops!
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

I don't know if this was deliberate but the Guardian's election blog today has this headline:

Election 2015 live: Cameron unveils vision for black, Asian and minority ethnic communities

Directly underneath the headline is a photo of Cameron appearing to be giving the two-fingered salute... :lol:
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

The Bristol West number is v good. Lib Dems doing worse than they would hope.

The Tory numbers less good. Around a 3% swing. Around GB average but would hope for better in Eng.
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

yahyah wrote:Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 2m 2 minutes ago
Ashcroft CON hold Britstol NW, Colne Valley, High Peak
LAB gain Bristol W

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 4m 4 minutes ago
Ashcroft: UKIP gain Thurrock but lose Rochester

Chart with other seats:
I've just looked at the figures for my constituency High Peak.
It seems to take the most inventive adjustment to put Conservative ahead as all the voting questions and all the subsequent weighting and definite voting intentions show Labour leading, in some cases substantially, only for the figures to change in a chart marked
This table is based on a manual adjustment of data reallocating some don't knows - a procedure which addresses the spiral
of silence among some groups of voters, which has successfully increased the accuracy of voting intention polls at recent
General Elections

Think he is wrong but only 11 days to find out.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Business leaders voice growing fears over 'disastrous and negative Tory campaign too focussed on personal attacks and scaremongering'
Expressed concerns over tactics employed by the Conservative campaign
Labour leader is now the bookies' favourite to be the next prime minister
'Every time Miliband is visible, he appears credible,' said a company boss
Tory tacticians have now told campaigners to focus on economic success

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ering.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... Speaking to the Financial Times on the condition that they would not be named, one chairman said: 'The negative campaign has been disastrous'.
Another added that the successes of the coalition government, including delivering real economic growth and jobs has become the 'background noise' of the campaign instead of its focus.
But a Conservative spokesman insisted that the campaign's focus on the idea of the SNP in a coalition with Labour is doing well on the doorstep, according to the FT. ...
Sorry for the Mail link. I note these companies don't want to actually be named as being critical of the Tories' campaign ....
I can well see the logic - if you can apply that to Tories - of the negative campaign.
Thanks to social media most/all of their manifesto has been debunked, we know they'll do a complete u-turn on promises, and that their idea of full employment is ZHs.
They've nowhere to go really.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

graun blog wrote:Here’s Cameron’s response when he was asked to clarify his football loyalties after his Croydon speech (which he read from an autocue):
I had what Natalie Bennett described as a brain fade.
I’m a Villa fan ... I must have been overcome by something ... this morning.
But there we are, these things sometimes happen when you are on the stump.
Artfully combining politics and football.

(edited to add .... and cricket)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, comrades.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

StephenDolan wrote:Morning all.

I'd be interested to hear Alexander, Cable, Laws and Farron pushed for their opinion on Clegg's numerous 'what is legitimate' chats. Chance for the orange bookers to come a cropper? Personally Clegg is playing a dangerous game. If Labour get more votes he's boxed himself in.
Morning.

Clegg's got a nerve, hasn't he?

Using the anti-austerity votes of Libdem voters to prop up a Tory austerity agenda wasn't exactly fair play either, but whoever can command a majority to get a Queen's speech through gets to form a government. Them's the rules and Clegg wasn't bothered how it looked last time out so carping about Labour and the SNP getting together to lock the Tories out is the height of hypocrisy. At least Labour and the SNP will actually be reflecting the wishes of their collective voters in doing so, unlike Clegg who essentially stuck two fingers up to those who put him into government. There's nothing "illegitimate" about Labour and the SNP out polling the Tories and their collection of ragbag loonies and fruitcakes - it's called majority rule and that majority is about finding a majority with common ground, not of specific party. Specific parties are all broad coalitions in themselves anyway, banding together by vaguely shared ideology to try to get to that majority. We've had very distinct parties standing on allied grounds in the past such as the Liberals and SDP as the SDP-Liberal Alliance. If they had won an overall majority in 1983 or 1987 no one would have questioned their right to govern as a loose amalgamation of like-minded views, so I see no reason to call a similar arrangement between Labour and the SNP "illegitimate". You'd think Clegg, of all people, would be familiar with the idea of consensus politics. But then again, he did completely ignore the very clear anti-Tory cuts consensus evident at the last election to throw in his lot with the rejected economic policy of Cameron and co of extreme austerity.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

tinyclanger2 wrote:http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3754239

The link leads to a 'page not available' message. :(
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Ignorance is my greatest strength so here goes:

Wouldn't the most logical coalition be between to the two leading parties? It would be no trickier than proportional representation and would at least give a greater number of people a chance to get "heard".

I welcome arguments for and against, as I realise I may, like Cameron, have now "lost it".
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Is it appropriate for Dave & his Tories to do this?
After months of fruitless wrangling over the televised leaders’ debates, David Cameron has been accused of dodging a less obviously risky encounter: a church debate with a doctor who is mounting a long-shot challenge for his seat in Oxfordshire.

Dr Clive Peedell, a consultant oncologist from Middlesbrough who leads the National Health Action party, has been invited to every hustings in Witney during the campaign except one – the only event attended by the prime minister. Another excluded candidate who successfully applied for a ticket, Christopher Tompson , was turned away at the door after being told that his presence “might cause some unrest”.

Cameron’s team denies exerting any influence on the event beyond security matters. But in an email to a photographer who was also barred from attending, organisers explained that they were following “instructions … from Cameron’s office”.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -encounter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Eric_WLothian wrote:

Hmm interesting. Was there earlier and was put up 2 hours ago (ish). They have taken it down.

Basically it was saying that Tories are going back to LibDem seats in Scotland (thus potential splitting the Lib Dem vote)

edited to say what I meant it to say.
Brain Fade
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Sat 25 Apr, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Cameron up shit creek as defeat beckons

http://www.michaelmeacher.info/weblog/2 ... t-beckons/
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.newsrt.co.uk/news/tartan-tor ... 54664.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here's another version (though you can only read the intro)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:Is it appropriate for Dave & his Tories to do this?
After months of fruitless wrangling over the televised leaders’ debates, David Cameron has been accused of dodging a less obviously risky encounter: a church debate with a doctor who is mounting a long-shot challenge for his seat in Oxfordshire.

Dr Clive Peedell, a consultant oncologist from Middlesbrough who leads the National Health Action party, has been invited to every hustings in Witney during the campaign except one – the only event attended by the prime minister. Another excluded candidate who successfully applied for a ticket, Christopher Tompson , was turned away at the door after being told that his presence “might cause some unrest”.

Cameron’s team denies exerting any influence on the event beyond security matters. But in an email to a photographer who was also barred from attending, organisers explained that they were following “instructions … from Cameron’s office”.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -encounter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cameron was recently demolished by a medical student over his 24/7 GP policy in the radio 1 live lounge, so obviously an encounter with a senior medical professional in a political debate situation would have to be avoided at all cost. Sad that the church organisers of the event were so in awe of Cameron they would bar other people to secure him, but it keeps the whole "frit" to face his opponents theme going. This election campaign has shown him up as a coward and that's never going to go away. He's losing standing among the public all the time. Whatever happens in the election, I suspect Cameron won't be around in the frontline of politics for much longer.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:

Morning.

Using the anti-austerity votes of Libdem voters to prop up a Tory austerity agenda wasn't exactly fair play either, but whoever can command a majority to get a Queen's speech through gets to form a government. Them's the rules and Clegg wasn't bothered how it looked last time out so carping about Labour and the SNP getting together to lock the Tories out is the height of hypocrisy. At least Labour and the SNP will actually be reflecting the wishes of their collective voters in doing so, unlike Clegg who essentially stuck two fingers up to those who put him into government. There's nothing "illegitimate" about Labour and the SNP out polling the Tories and their collection of ragbag loonies and fruitcakes - it's called majority rule and that majority is about finding a majority with common ground, not of specific party. Specific parties are all broad coalitions in themselves anyway, banding together by vaguely shared ideology to try to get to that majority. We've had very distinct parties standing on allied grounds in the past such as the Liberals and SDP as the SDP-Liberal Alliance. If they had won an overall majority in 1983 or 1987 no one would have questioned their right to govern as a loose amalgamation of like-minded views, so I see no reason to call a similar arrangement between Labour and the SNP "illegitimate". You'd think Clegg, of all people, would be familiar with the idea of consensus politics. But then again, he did completely ignore the very clear anti-Tory cuts consensus evident at the last election to throw in his lot with the rejected economic policy of Cameron and co of extreme austerity.
I'm interested in your opinion of an article I've read last night from Rafael Behr writing in the G. It's a procedural opinion piece; the title of the article doesn't do it justice. Also, some of the posts below the line are genuinely good, worth reading. Someone who I'm not frequently in agreement with brought up an excellent point - surely anyone living in a constituency represented by a lawfully elected Westminster MP of any party have every right to expect that MP full voting rights on UK issues just like any other representatives from all Westminster constituencies. Is that accurate?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... l-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edited to correct grammar apologies
Last edited by citizenJA on Sat 25 Apr, 2015 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Ignorance is my greatest strength so here goes:

Wouldn't the most logical coalition be between to the two leading parties? It would be no trickier than proportional representation and would at least give a greater number of people a chance to get "heard".

I welcome arguments for and against, as I realise I may, like Cameron, have now "lost it".
Grand coalition, you mean? Complete non-starter in this country short of a total war situation.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:Ignorance is my greatest strength so here goes:

Grand coalition, you mean? Complete non-starter in this country short of a total war situation.
Grand coalition indeed. Clegg should be all for it as it amounts to something much closer to PR than that-thing-we-voted-on a-bit-ago-that-no-one knew-what-it-was.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:

Hmm interesting. Was there earlier and was put up 2 hours ago (ish). They have taken it down.

Basically it was saying that Tories are going back to LibDems in Scotland.
Given that the Tories have consistently won around 16% of the Scottish vote in GEs since the Thatcher years, and won about 14% of the vote in the 2011 SE, I don't see why they should do significantly differently next month. (Maybe gain an odd seat due to the vagaries of FPTP)?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@Willow904
I'm in agreement with you regarding Dave Cameron's cowardice.
How common it is to not allow someone to a hustings solely due to fear of challenging questions or comments regarding candidate government over the last five years?

A hustings is the appropriate forum for democratic debate. As long as the person isn't a flat out security problem (and it's clear the person denied access wasn't a security problem), it's outrageous in the extreme to disallow someone access to the person who's asking the electorate to vote for them in a democratic election.

The Electoral Commission on Hustings events is linked below.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/_ ... npc-ca.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think rules were broken by not allowing the candidate to attend.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Anyway, the big news this morning is that Dave has forgotten what football team he "supports". I expect this one will go viral :D
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Anyway, the big news this morning is that Dave has forgotten what football team he "supports". I expect this one will go viral :D
It's ludicrous, Dave, for you to expect me to believe you've forgotten the name of your favourite football team. You've either lying about the team being your favourite or you're having a breakdown. Possibly both.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

He is a fan of villas, and looks a lot like ham, to be fair.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

For those involved on election day getting the vote out, what typically happens regarding those living in retirement homes?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

mikems wrote:He is a fan of villas, and looks a lot like ham, to be fair.
I hope he goes the final. Osborne at the Olympics moment...
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

to go back 5 years and to cheer us up
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RobertSnozers wrote:While we're talking about polling, I was surprised (and concerned) to read this from Lord Ashcroft's piece in the Independent:
Comparing my local snap shots with national polling at the time they were taken shows the Conservatives holding on to more seats overall against Labour than they would with a uniform national swing, but failing to gain seats that they would otherwise win from the Lib Dems.

At the same time, my polling has Labour winning fewer Tory and Lib Dem seats overall, and losing more to the SNP, than the national polls suggest ought to be the case. It is, in fact, the Lib Dems who are doing best in the marginals, holding on to more seats against Labour and (particularly) the Conservatives than they would with a uniform swing.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 02890.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Taking into consideration the large pinch of salt that seems necessary with Ashcroft's polling, I suppose this means there must have been a reversal in the key marginals since earlier in the parliament? There were polls in the middle of the parliament showing a 15% swing to Labour in the key Lab-Con marginals, and yet now there is less of a swing than in the country as a whole?

I don't know if by 'my polling' Ashcroft means his constituency polls (which there seem to be little reason to disbelieve) or his national polling, which has showed big differences from all the other pollsters, tends to use much smaller samples, and has demonstrated some questionable weighting and interpretation in the past.

We'll see in a couple of weeks I suppose.
You've summed up the reason I largely don't trust polls though I've posted more than one recently.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

hadn't seen this one
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

Morning.

I'm interested in your opinion of an article I've read last night from Rafael Behr writing in the G. It's a procedural opinion piece; the title of the article doesn't do it justice. Also, some of the posts below the line are genuinely good, worth reading. Someone who I'm not frequently in agreement with brought up an excellent point - surely anyone living in a constituency represented by a lawfully elected Westminster MP of any party have every right to expect that MP full voting rights on UK issues just like any other representatives from all Westminster constituencies. Is that accurate?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... l-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi JA.

My opinion on this is simply that the rules are the rules until the rules are changed. Anyone can stand for parliament and that includes nationalists. If a lot of nationalists gain seats they will have more influence than if they only have a few. This goes for any group. If Ukip win a lot of seats there will be more pressure to leave the EU, just as more SNP MPs lead to more pressure for an independent Scotland. There is no difference between the two and no problem with either, it's how democracy works and demonising the SNP in the way the Tories have shows a distinct lack of respect for our democratic system and the will of the people.

The problem, where there is a problem, has nothing to do with the SNP having the values and aims that they have or voters choosing to vote for them rather than more UK wide parties. The problem stems from the devolution that happened during the last Labour government. It fundamentally changed the political administration of the UK as a whole in a way that has not been fully adjusted for within our representative democratic system. My opinion is that we need a constitutional convention leading to a complete overhaul of our system of government that reflects the devolution of powers to NI Scotland and Wales and reflects that in equal devolution to the regions. An English parliament would not be comparable to the current devolved countries, to my mind, as its size in population is so much greater. Regions based roughly on those in which we vote for MEPs would be of a more appropriate size and demographic make-up to mirror NI, Scotland and Wales in what kind of devolved powers would be suitable and doable. All regions would then have similar devolved powers and Westminster MPs would have a similar representational role regardless of which region they represent. Devolution to cities doesn't work for me because it leaves a patchwork of poorly represented rural regions and would create very urban administrative regions that wouldn't reflect the devolved countries we already have.

Whatever the next step is regarding devolution (and one way or another more is coming due to the promises made to Scotland) the decision of how to deal with the current anomalies that it has thrown up is better coming from a constitutional convention of some kind that seeks to consult as wide a range of people as possible, rather than from a minority of people from within Westminster, if it is win the confidence and support of the nation as a whole.

In the meantime, unless parliament votes on a change to how parliament works, I can't really see how SNP MPs could possibly be treated any differently from any other MP who happens to represent Scotland. They have every right to vote on anything put before the house and the right to sit on the usual committees in the usual way. Yes, it throws up anomalies and yes, we need to work on solutions to those anomalies that devolution has thrown up, but until the house votes to implement those changes it's important to treat SNP MPs exactly the same as all other MPs or you risk (if the polls are to be believed) dis-enfranchising an entire country, which would not be cool for an advanced democratic nation.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

More evidence that the DfE simply rushed at breakneck speed to get academies sponsored by chains and weren't too fussed about where they went even if it mean chains had schools all over the place.

Largest academy chain offloads eight schools

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/largest-academ ... t-schools/
The largest academy chain in the country has transferred eight schools from its control, blaming their “geographic isolation”.
The Academies Enterprise Trust (AET) has been handing over the schools to local sponsors since December.

The relinquished schools are East Point Academy in Lowestoft; Childwall Sports & Science Academy in Liverpool; Oaks, Tree Tops and Molehill Copse Primary Academies, Kent; Northamptonshire’s The Duston School; and Peak and Greenfield Academies in Gloucestershire. Statements from the trust say that all eight schools were handed to new sponsors because they were “geographically isolated” from the trust’s other schools.

Schools minister Lord Nash has, in the past, stated a preference for schools in academy chains to be within an hour’s drive of each other. And last year, the education select committee said academy chains performed better in geographic clusters.
Quite agree Lord Nash - makes no sense whatsoever for a chain to have schools in all 9 government regions. In fact even now and after these transfers AET have schools in 8 regions.

Just a shame that you weren't at the DfE and could have stopped this happening...oh hang on...

:toss:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

I'm listening to the LBC show from yesterday with EM.

He is challenged by a lady with a grievance about Labour and the NHS following her Mother's death.

Her voice is very familiar but I'd hate to think the call was a 'put up job' but little surprises me in this campaign :(

She's on from 18.34 mins:

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@Willow904
Many thanks for your excellent post.
I'm a Labour party member & supporter.
I'd like a Labour majority government but that's not my decision to make.
Everyone's Westminster MP must be on equal footing with other representatives returned to government by their constituencies.
I don't know a lot about the SNP party beyond their manifesto & how their six MPs' voted in the House of Commons in the last five years.
I hope for the best for the people & country from every party representative.
I don't like the Tory party or UKIP & I'm not happy with the current generation of Liberal Democrats.

TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Ah, we're here again are we. And this time with added accusations of sexism. Fair enough. :wall:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Ah, we're here again are we. And this time with added accusations of sexism. Fair enough. :wall:

:?: :?:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Anyway, the big news this morning is that Dave has forgotten what football team he "supports". I expect this one will go viral :D
Jeff Stelling is currently running through todays fixtures & when he got to the WH game said it was
the Prime Ministers favourite team - well they do play in the same colours as Aston Villa
:lol: :lol: :lol: