sat 25 and sun 26 April

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Re: sat 25 and sun 26 April

Post by StephenDolan »

RR and CJA, thanks for the replies and info.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

yahyah wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:
yahyah wrote:
Come and live in Wales Tisme.
There are regular spats between Greens & Plaid despite all the girly huggie stuff for the cameras between Wood & Bennett.
It got to handbags stage late last year between some. But I suppose we only notice what goes on in our own areas, for obvious reasons.
Be careful what you wish for yahyah. In March, I may have to sell my home. I've known this for some time and have been saying for a long time now that if it comes to having to sell up here, and if there is a Tory government, then I'd move to Wales! :o
You'd be very welcome, honestly. :D
There's a big permaculture following & other eco type projects round here, and houses and land are comparatively cheap so the good life is easy to obtain, if a little rain sodden sometimes.

I suspect if we met in the real world we'd get on.
I'm not as fierce as I may seem.
I think most of us would get on if we met in the real world. Overall, I'd say we have more similarities than differences. The differences are maybe highlighted at the moment because we're all tense and worried.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

onebuttonmonkey wrote:Guess what? Old Boris has responded wonderfully to his besting on Marr with this little gem:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -bomb.html

To recap, then: this morning, the Mail and May saying that an SNP/Labour coalition is a worse constitutional threat than Hitler. Tonight, the Telegraph and Johnson saying Miliband could be more destructive to our cities than a bomb.

Excuse the swears but, What the Actual Fuck? Really? Words fail.
Just like Toby Young when Creasey took him to pieces, resort to writing an article. Lame.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

There's a real world?

Just now, I'm finding that hard to believe.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

tinyclanger2 wrote:There's a real world?

Me too! :zen:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Sunny Hundal ‏@sunny_hundal · 40s41 seconds ago
Huge Labour party announcement at midnight on housing. Can't say more as there's an embargo but keep an eye out for it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote: Actually, part of me says 'Bring it on' - it would do them no good whatsoever to side with the Tories!
They have to get a significant number of seats first, though - and I'm still not convinced they will do as well as they think they will.
The Cybernats aren't happy.

Amazing that Miliband with something like 5-6 times the MPs she'll get should be so bold, isn't it?
Scotland will have 59 voices in the UK Parliament. What the SNP leadership fail to grasp is that all those voices will (or should) be representing the UK constituencies which voted them in - Scotland does not have some sort of block vote in Westminster.
(my bold)
Making life better for the UK.

edited to add the website below

http://www.snp.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edited again to quote from the introduction signed by Nicola Sturgeon in the SNP 2015 Manifesto
"The SNP will use our influence at Westminster to help deliver positive change for the benefit of ordinary people, not just in Scotland, but across the UK."

http://votesnp.com/docs/manifesto.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by citizenJA on Sun 26 Apr, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

onebuttonmonkey wrote:Guess what? Old Boris has responded wonderfully to his besting on Marr with this little gem:

To recap, then: this morning, the Mail and May saying that an SNP/Labour coalition is a worse constitutional threat than Hitler. Tonight, the Telegraph and Johnson saying Miliband could be more destructive to our cities than a bomb.

It's not even full on rent control anyway.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:
refitman wrote: The first one is pretty depressing. The 2nd... words fail.
Depressing indeed. You'll probably all say "well she would say that" but our Green ppc is really good. There have been quite a few hustings - a number of which have been 'special interest' groups. Aidan was really strong in almost all of them and understood the issues far more than the other candidates. His strength was focussing on the concerns - not playing party politics. And boy did he focus. So much so that at three of them, after the event was over, he was asked back to give a talk after the election. They like what he had to say.

If the Labour candidate was anywhere near as good, he'd be a dead cert in Watford. Sadly, he does OK at the hustings but what comes across is yet another cardboard cut out career politician in a suit. Harrington is presenting himself as a 'wet' Tory most of the time. Avoids trashing his opponents, compliments them on occasion, and is clearly trying to distance himself from the Tory campaign. The Dotty Mare is trying to trade on her position as Mayor but actually she lacks knowledge on many of the subjects raised.
Have predicted a Tory hold in Watford as likeliest for a while now - not totally awful as it will hurt the local LibDems revolting sense of entitlement yet again :D

In the longer term though I am convinced it is steadily moving away from the Tory demographic (in contrast to most of Herts) Labour pick a good candidate in 2020 and it could be theirs :)
I've lived here going on 30 years AK and during that time, I've never found it to be a truly Tory area. It's been a three way split for a long time in reality. At most elections, the question for many people has been, "who do we vote for to keep the Tory out"? Sal Brinton was the answer at the last election and she came close. In fact, Harrington made a promise [that he knew he couldn't keep] to one particular demographic group. Given this particular demographic make up over 6% of Watford's population, I was pretty sure he'd be out this May. But Labour have chosen a very average [at best] candidate.

The Lib dems chose the Dotty Mare on the basis of her popularity. But she isn't popular - there's just never been a really strong contender against her in the Mayoral elections. Plus the lib dems do a good job of hanging on to power. There's a lot of anger at Dorothy though not only for hanging on to the Mayor's job whilst campaigning to be the MP, but also for saying she would keep the Mayor's job even if she wins.

As for 2020 - my dear, I'm expecting to be celebrating a Green victory in Watford. :dance:
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Eric_WLothian wrote: Scotland will have 59 voices in the UK Parliament. What the SNP leadership fail to grasp is that all those voices will (or should) be representing the UK constituencies which voted them in - Scotland does not have some sort of block vote in Westminster.
Nah, their MPs are all there to bang on about FFA, and "economic levers".
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

Post by onebuttonmonkey »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

I know! It's... Boris is... oh, I have no idea what he is, to be honest.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Oldie but goodie.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

onebuttonmonkey wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

I know! It's... Boris is... oh, I have no idea what he is, to be honest.
I accept that.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

AngryAsWell wrote:

I'm pretty certain there is owing to the fact I have a bugger of a headache and two leaflets to finish designing. Got to do them tonight to get them proof read and sent to the printer by tomorrow lunch time. Attending a case meeting tomorrow morning as a 'friend' and 'witness' for someone who has [wrongly imo] been sectioned. And then delivering more leaflets in the afternoon and probably door knocking in the evening. Is it ever going to end?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Thanks for that link, been having tremendous fun BTL taunting the terminally stupid. :rofl:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:Sunny Hundal ‏@sunny_hundal · 40s41 seconds ago
Huge Labour party announcement at midnight on housing. Can't say more as there's an embargo but keep an eye out for it.

Mark Ferguson @Markfergusonuk
· 38s 38 seconds ago
A MILLION HOMES. YIPPEE. AT BLOODY LAST. A *MILLION* NEW HOMES. A PROPER PLAN THAT MAY JUST LESSEN THE HOUSING CRISIS *cartwheels*
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

Thanks for that link, been having tremendous fun BTL taunting the terminally stupid. :rofl:
And the caption of the picture of Ed? "Gaze into the face of your destruction".

It really is a cult over there, isn't it?

*edit* "eyes" to "face". although I reckon I'd make a better sub.
Last edited by Hobiejoe on Sun 26 Apr, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Tizme1 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Tizme1 wrote: Depressing indeed. You'll probably all say "well she would say that" but our Green ppc is really good. There have been quite a few hustings - a number of which have been 'special interest' groups. Aidan was really strong in almost all of them and understood the issues far more than the other candidates. His strength was focussing on the concerns - not playing party politics. And boy did he focus. So much so that at three of them, after the event was over, he was asked back to give a talk after the election. They like what he had to say.

If the Labour candidate was anywhere near as good, he'd be a dead cert in Watford. Sadly, he does OK at the hustings but what comes across is yet another cardboard cut out career politician in a suit. Harrington is presenting himself as a 'wet' Tory most of the time. Avoids trashing his opponents, compliments them on occasion, and is clearly trying to distance himself from the Tory campaign. The Dotty Mare is trying to trade on her position as Mayor but actually she lacks knowledge on many of the subjects raised.
Have predicted a Tory hold in Watford as likeliest for a while now - not totally awful as it will hurt the local LibDems revolting sense of entitlement yet again :D

In the longer term though I am convinced it is steadily moving away from the Tory demographic (in contrast to most of Herts) Labour pick a good candidate in 2020 and it could be theirs :)
I've lived here going on 30 years AK and during that time, I've never found it to be a truly Tory area. It's been a three way split for a long time in reality. At most elections, the question for many people has been, "who do we vote for to keep the Tory out"? Sal Brinton was the answer at the last election and she came close. In fact, Harrington made a promise [that he knew he couldn't keep] to one particular demographic group. Given this particular demographic make up over 6% of Watford's population, I was pretty sure he'd be out this May. But Labour have chosen a very average [at best] candidate.

The Lib dems chose the Dotty Mare on the basis of her popularity. But she isn't popular - there's just never been a really strong contender against her in the Mayoral elections. Plus the lib dems do a good job of hanging on to power. There's a lot of anger at Dorothy though not only for hanging on to the Mayor's job whilst campaigning to be the MP, but also for saying she would keep the Mayor's job even if she wins.

As for 2020 - my dear, I'm expecting to be celebrating a Green victory in Watford. :dance:
A 4 way marginal would be very interesting indeed!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Fuller list of housing pledges Ed Miliband will make tomorrow. HUGE shakeup to help first time buyers

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:

· 38s 38 seconds ago
A MILLION HOMES. YIPPEE. AT BLOODY LAST. A *MILLION* NEW HOMES. A PROPER PLAN THAT MAY JUST LESSEN THE HOUSING CRISIS *cartwheels*
That is a big deal.
Pulls the rug out from underneath what's currently a highly inflated 'commodity'.
No one gets hurt; people get securely housed.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tizme1 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

I'm pretty certain there is owing to the fact I have a bugger of a headache and two leaflets to finish designing. Got to do them tonight to get them proof read and sent to the printer by tomorrow lunch time. Attending a case meeting tomorrow morning as a 'friend' and 'witness' for someone who has [wrongly imo] been sectioned. And then delivering more leaflets in the afternoon and probably door knocking in the evening. Is it ever going to end?
I'm more in a parallel universe judging by our current press, I feel everything is reversed from what it should be.
Hope you get your leaflets done, and all work out well for your friend.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Hobiejoe wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

Some of the posters are defini ..... oh, sorry, you said "cult". My bad. ;-)

My favourites are the ones who spend all their time labelling (black, Asian, Jew, homosexual) but get a little tetchy when you try to apply a label to them; I mean, surely they should be proud to proclaim their status as a bigot.

Anyway, that is enough fun for one day. Night all.
Last edited by TheGrimSqueaker on Sun 26 Apr, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh gawd...another bleedin' letter...5,000 names this time.

They really are desperate aren't they?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

· 38s 38 seconds ago
That is a big deal.
Pulls the rug out from underneath what's currently a highly inflated 'commodity'.
Its a very big deal check out Sunny Hundal " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for full details, more than just building...
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

AngryAsWell wrote:

· 38s 38 seconds ago
So much for an embargo :roll:

Is this guy a narcissistic idiot or an egomanical idiot?

*edit* *again* I'm really too slow when the cut and the thrust get it on.
Last edited by Hobiejoe on Sun 26 Apr, 2015 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Hobiejoe wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Thanks for that link, been having tremendous fun BTL taunting the terminally stupid. :rofl:

Some of the posters are defini ..... oh, sorry, you said "cult". My bad. ;-)

My favourites are the ones who spend all their time labelling (black, Asian, Jew, homosexual) but get a little tetchy when you try to apply a label to them; I mean, surely they should be proud to proclaim their status as a bigot.

Anyway, that is enough fun for one day. Night all.
Goodnight, TGS
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AngryAsWell wrote:

· 38s 38 seconds ago

Bloody hell!!!! :clap: :dance:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh gawd...another bleedin' letter...5,000 names this time.

They helped get the economy moving again? What does that actually mean?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AngryAsWell wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
· 38s 38 seconds ago
That is a big deal.
Its a very big deal check out Sunny Hundal " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for full details, more than just building...
That's also going to create a lot and I mean a lot of jobs which in turn will put money straight back into the economy plus widen the market for all the companies that make house building supplies.

Can't be bad....
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

YouGov/Sun poll tonight – CON 33%, LAB 34%, LD 8%, UKIP 14%, GRN 5%
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh gawd...another bleedin' letter...5,000 names this time.

They helped get the economy moving again? What does that actually mean?
Isn't the bloke that owns Next the one that likes part time low pay so he doesn't have to pay holidays etc?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ohsocynical wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
citizenJA wrote:That is a big deal.
That's also going to create a lot and I mean a lot of jobs which in turn will put money straight back into the economy plus widen the market for all the companies that make house building supplies.

Can't be bad....
Its a lot of white goods, electrical goods, curtains, carpets, paint & wallpaper not to mention boilers & radiators as well :dance:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

ohsocynical wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

· 38s 38 seconds ago

Courtesy of Smithson.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/ ... 90/photo/1

However I am not convinced this sort of thing is a vote winner. Most people don't actually want a new city dumped right next to them and I worry about environmental impacts. Plus there are a whole load of people with a vested interest in keeping house prices high (they are called the majority of the electorate). Also thanks to George (help to buy) Osborne if house prices drop we will have negative equity and the state will be liable for the loss on any repossessions.

Not saying we don't need houses but this probably won't be that popular electorally.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

If we haven't already had this.

The wheels really have fallen off Cameron's wagon. He has lost the DUP.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -warns-dup
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
· 38s 38 seconds ago

Courtesy of Smithson.

However I am not convinced this sort of thing is a vote winner. Most people don't actually want a new city dumped right next to them and I worry about environmental impacts. Plus there are a whole load of people with a vested interest in keeping house prices high (they are called the majority of the electorate). Also thanks to George (help to buy) Osborne if house prices drop we will have negative equity and the state will be liable for the loss on any repossessions.

Not saying we don't need houses but this probably won't be that popular electorally.
There are going to be a lot of people in negative equity anyway once interest rates rise, which they're bound to at some point. There'll be extra pressure then for rented affordable homes. I remember there was pressure on housing waiting lists the last time the housing bubble burst.

We have massive estates going up here in Bracknell and surrounds. Private though. Better if it was council....
If I'd stretched myself to the limit or had BTL, I'd be seriously thinking about downsizing and unloading while the market is still bouyant...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

By the way...Karren Brady who organised that mailshot...er..letter...is currently vice-chairman of West ham.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ged Robinson ‏@gedrobinson · 3m3 minutes ago
I'm not saying the Conservative campaign is poor but I've heard that Richard Dawkins has said only god can save them now... ;-)

:lol: :lol:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
· 38s 38 seconds ago

Courtesy of Smithson.

A massive home building project will solve serious problems. It's a good thing for Labour to do this.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

RogerOThornhill wrote:By the way...Karren Brady who organised that mailshot...er..letter...is currently vice-chairman of West ham.

Yes, is there a local derby between West Ham and Weston Villa?

Or am I confused.

Also she wanted to rename West Ham as West Ham Olympic (according to Wikipedia) so she clearly shares Cameron's passion for Soccerball.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:By the way...Karren Brady who organised that mailshot...er..letter...is currently vice-chairman of West ham.

She's the Tory peer who...oh, my...yes, I understand better now...
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

Out of the saddle and into the penalty box?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

It is only Labour that can stop the Tories being the largest party in parliament. It is only Labour that can stop another Tory Government. And with the polls neck-and-neck in England, if Scotland votes Labour we will get rid of the Tories.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/polit ... ce-5589072" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Night all
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AngryAsWell wrote:Night all
Night AAW.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, AAW.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ian ‏@Mancman10 29 mins29 minutes ago Manchester, England
Latest 7 polls
YG: LAB 35 CON 33
Pop: LAB 35 CON 32
YG: LAB 34 CON 33
Op:CON 34 LAB 33
YG: LAB 34 CON 32
Sur:CON 33 LAB 30
YG: LAB 34 CON 33
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
It is only Labour that can stop the Tories being the largest party in parliament. It is only Labour that can stop another Tory Government. And with the polls neck-and-neck in England, if Scotland votes Labour we will get rid of the Tories.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/polit ... ce-5589072" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
Good.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Norwich South last time kind of was - it was one of the Green's three significant targets but they still came fourth. Although the lib dem vote is going to disappear and the tories only seemed higher because Labour's vote was at an all time low.

Anyone (except Anatoly who will definitely know this) name the three seats south of the 'wash to english channel' line outside London that Labour won in '83? Clue - Norwich South is one of them.
I still believe in a town called Hope
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mark Ferguson ‏@Markfergusonuk 3 hrs3 hours ago

Tories briefing out “small business letter” that’s basically a petition that they’ve had on their website for weeks.

https://www.conservatives.com/businessletter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

adam wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Norwich South last time kind of was - it was one of the Green's three significant targets but they still came fourth. Although the lib dem vote is going to disappear and the tories only seemed higher because Labour's vote was at an all time low.

Anyone (except Anatoly who will definitely know this) name the three seats south of the 'wash to english channel' line outside London that Labour won in '83? Clue - Norwich South is one of them.
Ipswich? Thurrock? Southampton Itchen?