Tuesday 28th April 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 28th April 2015

Post by yahyah »

Willow904 wrote:Hello all.

I'm not being ageist - it's just an observation - but I was just watching Cameron on the news and, blimey, didn't he get old all of a sudden?! Have you seen the bags under his eyes? He looks seriously ragged. It's hard to believe he's got another 5 years in him. For all the bravado and cheerleading from the right-wing press, he's starting to give off that all-washed-up aura of a man on borrowed time.

All that fish pointing takes it out of a man.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Willow904 wrote:Hello all.

I'm not being ageist - it's just an observation - but I was just watching Cameron on the news and, blimey, didn't he get old all of a sudden?! Have you seen the bags under his eyes? He looks seriously ragged. It's hard to believe he's got another 5 years in him. For all the bravado and cheerleading from the right-wing press, he's starting to give off that all-washed-up aura of a man on borrowed time.
I do so sincerely hope you're right. And that he feels knackered, disheartened, angry, hopeless and thoroughly pissed off as well.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

yahyah wrote:Not so good from the HSJ

Not sure who they're asking the question to.
Repealing act's probably not as straightforward as it sounds, and would require more change, so possibly "not sure" is a sensible answer.

I hate questionnaires !
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinybgoat wrote:
yahyah wrote:Not so good from the HSJ

Not sure who they're asking the question to.
Repealing act's probably not as straightforward as it sounds, and would require more change, so possibly "not sure" is a sensible answer.

I hate questionnaires !
Few people seem desperate to keep it, though, so Labour's policy to repeal it isn't going to put them off, so I see that as a Tory fail. The Health & social care act was supposed to save the NHS. If people believed that, more of them would oppose reversing it (and I believe this is a survey of ordinary voters, not health professionals).

Edited to add that according to RobertSnozers it is a survey of health professionals, not ordinary voters as I supposed. I think my point still stands though, as this is hardly an endorsement of the Tories' "necessary" reforms!
Last edited by Willow904 on Tue 28 Apr, 2015 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Just in case you're wondering -

I deleted my first\last post as, distracted as I am, I completely mis-read the quote which I'd, er, quoted. I thought it was David Cameron saying that we needed a new plan!
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Spooky, tried to comment on needing a better plan, "plan z"?
and it disappeared!
Anyway in response to post which hopefully may have reappeared by time I press submit:

Plan nine from purple face.

(wasn't going to make much sense, in first place)
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

Just in case you're wondering -

I deleted my first\last post as, distracted as I am, I completely mis-read the quote which I'd, er, quoted. I thought it was David Cameron saying that we needed a new plan!
Thanks for reposting,
was beginning to feel like Terry Pratchett's Evadne Cake for a moment.

http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Evadne_Cake

Think it worked out OK, though.
Last edited by tinybgoat on Tue 28 Apr, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Labour is today (Tuesday 28 April) launching its better plan for rural Britain, setting out its policies to build a rural economy that works for working people and supports rural families and communities.

- Tackling low-pay in agriculture by creating an industry-led taskforce on productivity and pay as well as boosting skills and apprenticeships.
- Build more affordable homes by strengthening requirements on developers to build affordable housing in rural areas.
- Bringing the off-grid energy sector under the remit of the regulator for the first time.
- Standing up for farmers by creating a tough new supermarket watchdog by expanding the role and powers of the Groceries Code Adjudicator.
- Cutting business rates for small businesses, which employ over two-thirds of the rural workforce.
- Giving rural communities more power over their own bus services.
- Ensuring that all parts of the country benefit from affordable, high-speed broadband by the end of the Parliament.
- Devolving powers to our English county regions, giving communities the ability to shape the places they live.

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1175958 ... pledges-to" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Labour's
A BETTER PLAN FOR RURAL BRITAIN

http://www.labouremail.org.uk/files/upl ... c0e9c9.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RobertSnozers wrote:@fedup59 - A lot to agree with there, thanks for taking the time to set all that out.

I wonder what happens if the Tories are the largest party but cannot get the numbers for a majority?

Even if, under those circumstances, Labour can form a minority government, the media and a chunk of the population would, I suspect, not accept it. The press, banging on as they are about the danger of a 'constitutional crisis' would be only too happy to trigger one.
Leave the Tories in office but not in power, as a minority government without the numbers to actually do anything (even with Clegg's ever willing support)

It would actually be the "chaos" that the likes of Shapps so like to holler about - maybe it might cause some in Scotland to reflect too.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:@fedup59 - A lot to agree with there, thanks for taking the time to set all that out.

I wonder what happens if the Tories are the largest party but cannot get the numbers for a majority?

Even if, under those circumstances, Labour can form a minority government, the media and a chunk of the population would, I suspect, not accept it. The press, banging on as they are about the danger of a 'constitutional crisis' would be only too happy to trigger one.
Leave the Tories in office but not in power, as a minority government without the numbers to actually do anything (even with Clegg's ever willing support)

It would actually be the "chaos" that the likes of Shapps so like to holler about - maybe it might cause some in Scotland to reflect too.

COBRADave to spring into action...
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Whoever can command a majority in the Commons will be PM. A Pm who cannot do so must resign.

That makes Miliband PM, in a minority government.

13/8 still available...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The Tories and their press allies will not accept the legitimacy of a Labour minority administration if they trail in votes and seats.

Turning their own rhetoric against them may be the best option - "you say a Tory government is the only acceptable option in these circumstances; very well then, govern" :twisted:
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/ ... 1430227685" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Wife of Clegg on high horse now.
Words literally fail me.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

RobertSnozers wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: Leave the Tories in office but not in power, as a minority government without the numbers to actually do anything (even with Clegg's ever willing support)

Whoever can command a majority in the Commons will be PM. A Pm who cannot do so must resign.

That makes Miliband PM, in a minority government.

13/8 still available...
But on the constitutional point I don't understand, who gets to say who can command a majority? If, as things stand, no 'confidence and supply' arrangement is forthcoming, and even if with SNP votes Miliband could technically get legislation through, surely there's no guarantee of that? This was the basis of my question yesterday about 'confidence' which I'm not sure received an answer.

I presume it would first be up to Cameron to declare that he can't secure a government with 'confidence'? What next? Ed has a chat with Nicola and declares that yes, he can put together a government with the confidence of the house... but for the time being, until the SNP decides, for the sake of argument, to throw its toys out of the pram? Not *much* confidence really, is it?

Sorry, but this is, constitutionally, bullshit. Excuse my language, but I feel it is called for here, preferably in the form of Alex Brooker's big red 'bullshit' button. We seriously need an electoral system that actually works. Ours is broken, if it ever really worked. Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.
The system is fine, it is dealing with a very strange use case and it still stands up.

Cameron is PM, until he believes he cannot form a government. Then Miliband gets to try and form a government.

Whether Cameron tries to get his queens speech through or gives up earlier depends on how close to the line he gets.
Release the Guardvarks.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

tinyclanger2 wrote:http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/ ... 1430227685?

Words literally fail me.
Oh Dear!
In a parallel universe, maybe Clegg did get to be P.M,
Maybe in many parallel universes.
It's possible.
That in any of them he achieved great things,
is I feel less unlikely & stretching boundaries of possibility too far.
That his wife has such belief in him is touching.
fedup59
Committee Member

Post by fedup59 »

I agree we seriously need a system that works. At the moment the Tories are attacking the UK constitution on the basis of country, while ignoring their own English regional weaknesses and the lib dems are arguing for involvement in UK gov on the basis of proportional voter split across the two main parties I would argue that not only are these arguments a piss take but also completely illegitimate. Constitutional change on the basis of regional power, PR and Westminster PR seem long term necessities. Short term the argument needs to be taken up about the lack of legitimacy being argued for for the English regions as part of the anti Scottish Tory manipulation.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

For me a plausible outcome would be that the SNP agrees to support Labour in a budget, repealing the NHS Act and other big pledges that need to go through. Labour and SNP agree to hold the constitutional convention that Miliband has already promised and put a two (?) year deadline on rewriting the UK constitution. They agree to seek to repeal the fixed term parliaments act during that too, in which case they can then dissolve Parliament two years in and call a new election. Importantly, an independence referendum would be completely off limits during that period.

There would be an electoral mandate for this I believe if Labour and SNP get a good haul of seats between them.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

tinybgoat wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/ ... 1430227685?

Words literally fail me.
Oh Dear!
In a parallel universe, maybe Clegg did get to be P.M,
Maybe in many parallel universes.
It's possible.
That in any of them he achieved great things,
is I feel less unlikely & stretching boundaries of possibility too far.
That his wife has such belief in him is touching.
Actually, scrub that it's too mean,
He could still recant & apologise,
and go on to do something useful.
it's possible.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

fedup59 wrote:I agree we seriously need a system that works. At the moment the Tories are attacking the UK constitution on the basis of country, while ignoring their own English regional weaknesses and the lib dems are arguing for involvement in UK gov on the basis of proportional voter split across the two main parties I would argue that not only are these arguments a piss take but also completely illegitimate. Constitutional change on the basis of regional power, PR and Westminster PR seem long term necessities. Short term the argument needs to be taken up about the lack of legitimacy being argued for for the English regions as part of the anti Scottish Tory manipulation.
Worth remembering, of course, that all the Labour leadership candidates (bar Andy Burnham) were broadly in favour of reform at the time of the AV referendum. Given Miliband's stated aim to reform the Lords we shouldn't rule out the possibility of them looking at constitutional reform in a wider context eventually.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kay BurleyVerified account
‏@KayBurley
Royal press officers arrive at Lindo Wing #riyalbabywatch https://www.periscope.tv/w/VyC3JTUxNjYz ... ZPoy1U4UE=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Oh no. Wish she'd been able to wait until after the election ...
Working on the wild side.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Better that it happens now than this time next week, maybe?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
‏@KayBurley
Royal press officers arrive at Lindo Wing #riyalbabywatch https://www.periscope.tv/w/VyC3JTUxNjYz ... ZPoy1U4UE=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Optimistically, the MSM will now be obliged to do nappy stories rather than churning out Coalition propaganda.

Meanwhile in the alternative media, baby windsor will largely be ignored :twisted:

Edited to say unless you feel obliged to follow Kay Burley ;-)

Edited to say I'm not sure I'll be able to tell whether it's baby poo or Cameron's latest utterance
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Better that it happens now than this time next week, maybe?
Yes - but we've still got to endure the media hysteria - and if she'd hung on till after the election I'd probably have been too tired to be taking much notice ....
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Royal baby on Ed Balls Day? There's only one name to give :lol:

Better now than next week, definitely.

Jim Murphy was saying a third of Scottish voters are still undecided, is that true? Does that exclude those saying they won't vote?
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:For me a plausible outcome would be that the SNP agrees to support Labour in a budget, repealing the NHS Act and other big pledges that need to go through. Labour and SNP agree to hold the constitutional convention that Miliband has already promised and put a two (?) year deadline on rewriting the UK constitution. They agree to seek to repeal the fixed term parliaments act during that too, in which case they can then dissolve Parliament two years in and call a new election. Importantly, an independence referendum would be completely off limits during that period.

There would be an electoral mandate for this I believe if Labour and SNP get a good haul of seats between them.
I agree - at least in principle. My worry is that the SNP wouldn't support a Labour (or any other UK) government in the longer term without demanding things like FFA, another referendum or the removal of Trident. Ed Miliband would be constantly looking over his shoulder, waiting for the stab in the back. A stable UK government is not good for the SNP's sole raison d'etre - independence.
Given the choice of Lab/SNP or Lab/LD, I'd go for the latter!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Better that it happens now than this time next week, maybe?
Yes - but we've still got to endure the media hysteria - and if she'd hung on till after the election I'd probably have been too tired to be taking much notice ....
I rarely disagree with you, RR2. But the timing is best now. I hope mum & baby a quick birthing, little trauma, great health & a lovely Edward born.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:For me a plausible outcome would be that the SNP agrees to support Labour in a budget, repealing the NHS Act and other big pledges that need to go through. Labour and SNP agree to hold the constitutional convention that Miliband has already promised and put a two (?) year deadline on rewriting the UK constitution. They agree to seek to repeal the fixed term parliaments act during that too, in which case they can then dissolve Parliament two years in and call a new election. Importantly, an independence referendum would be completely off limits during that period.

I agree - at least in principle. My worry is that the SNP wouldn't support a Labour (or any other UK) government in the longer term without demanding things like FFA, another referendum or the removal of Trident. Ed Miliband would be constantly looking over his shoulder, waiting for the stab in the back. A stable UK government is not good for the SNP's sole raison d'etre - independence.
Given the choice of Lab/SNP or Lab/LD, I'd go for the latter!
That's needing a lot of tactical voting in Scotland and the Lib Dems to hold on to their marginals.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
I rarely disagree with you, RR2. But the timing is best now. I hope mum & baby a quick birthing, little trauma, great health & a lovely Edward born.

You're not disagreeing with me citizen - I do agree with Anatoly that it's better now than in a week's time. It's just that for me .... it would have been even better if it had been after the election - I'm exhausted enough with the crap in the media as it is ...!

What do you favour if it's a girl ... Edwina? :lol:
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

StephenDolan wrote:
Jim Murphy was saying a third of Scottish voters are still undecided, is that true? Does that exclude those saying they won't vote?
He's referring to yesterday's TNS poll - 29% undecided.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/general-el ... -1-3755384
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
‏@KayBurley
Optimistically, the MSM will now be obliged to do nappy stories rather than churning out Coalition propaganda.

Meanwhile in the alternative media, baby windsor will largely be ignored :twisted:

Edited to say unless you feel obliged to follow Kay Burley ;-)

Edited to say I'm not sure I'll be able to tell whether it's baby poo or Cameron's latest utterance
It was only after reading your post, Paul, I understood what the topic of discussion was. The link to Burley's website took me to a seriously creepy webpage & I wasn't clicking further. I'd forgotten about the a royal birth.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Yes - but we've still got to endure the media hysteria - and if she'd hung on till after the election I'd probably have been too tired to be taking much notice ....

You're not disagreeing with me citizen - I do agree with Anatoly that it's better now than in a week's time. It's just that for me .... it would have been even better if it had been after the election - I'm exhausted enough with the crap in the media as it is ...!

I'll chip in - Nicola?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Yes - but we've still got to endure the media hysteria - and if she'd hung on till after the election I'd probably have been too tired to be taking much notice ....

Healthy & uncomplicated, it's all I hope for, regardless of gender or name, it's all good. Over quickly as possible in the news, please, I'm exhausted too, my friend.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
He's referring to yesterday's TNS poll - 29% undecided.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/general-el ... -1-3755384
Thanks EWL.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

RobertSnozers wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
The system is fine, it is dealing with a very strange use case and it still stands up.

Cameron is PM, until he believes he cannot form a government. Then Miliband gets to try and form a government.

Whether Cameron tries to get his queens speech through or gives up earlier depends on how close to the line he gets.
Respectfully, it is not fine, it is very far from fine and it's standing up about as well as the plot of Broadchurch. Historically an argument may have been made for it being fine while two-party politics dominated (frankly I feel a system that might give a party a 10th of the seats from a quarter of the vote share could never have been described as fine) but that is not now the case and I fail to see how it ever will be. This is not a particularly strange case. The last election failed to provide a majority, and does anyone really think we're going to go back to Labour vs Tory elections with a thimbleful of Liberals and Nats? Moreover, while we stick to the creaking, outdated FPTP system, the possibility always exists for the Tories to do what Cameron just failed to do this time - gerrymander things for eternal Tory government. If Cameron had managed to get his boundary reform through, the Tories would be coasting to an easy win right now. They will not fail a second time.
No, the FPTP solution is not an issue here, a PR system could easily have the same procedural problem.

If two coalitions exist and neither can form a majority without working with a hostile third party outside a formal deal what do you do?

Answer exactly the same each coalition has a go at passing a vote of confidence.

Now PR would produce Tory/UKIP/Lib Dem at the moment as your only option, Labour/Green/SNP would probably come in at 48%z
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 1h1 hour ago
Have now reached 40000 followers and would like to thank each and every one of you. Hope to continue to keep you amused and informed.

Michael CrickVerified account
‏@MichaelLCrick
@LordAshcroft Amused certainly
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Respectfully, it is not fine, it is very far from fine and it's standing up about as well as the plot of Broadchurch. Historically an argument may have been made for it being fine while two-party politics dominated (frankly I feel a system that might give a party a 10th of the seats from a quarter of the vote share could never have been described as fine) but that is not now the case and I fail to see how it ever will be. This is not a particularly strange case. The last election failed to provide a majority, and does anyone really think we're going to go back to Labour vs Tory elections with a thimbleful of Liberals and Nats? Moreover, while we stick to the creaking, outdated FPTP system, the possibility always exists for the Tories to do what Cameron just failed to do this time - gerrymander things for eternal Tory government. If Cameron had managed to get his boundary reform through, the Tories would be coasting to an easy win right now. They will not fail a second time.
No, the FPTP solution is not an issue here, a PR system could easily have the same procedural problem.

If two coalitions exist and neither can form a majority without working with a hostile third party outside a formal deal what do you do?

Answer exactly the same each coalition has a go at passing a vote of confidence.

Now PR would produce Tory/UKIP/Lib Dem at the moment as your only option, Labour/Green/SNP would probably come in at 48%z
I agree.

Save that Lab + Green + SNP would not be near 48% (assuming current voting patterns). This is a bumper year for the SNP, but they'll get 3-4% of votes (and around 8% of the seats).

it is one of life's oddities that the Tories cling to a voting system that screws them over. More fool them.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

I agree. The real pickle is the old West Lothian question. Without devolution, Labour and the SNP could simply form a coalition on the basis of shared policies - it's devolution that throws a spanner in the works and with more devolution in the pipeline it will have to be addressed in the next parliament. Naturally I favour Labour's proposed constitutional convention, abolition of the Lords to be replaced with regional assembly kind of direction. If tbe Tories prevail we'll get EVEL and an ever expanding crony-stuffed unelected, anachronistic upper chamber. From the perspective of the future evolvement of our democracy, this is a crucial election. I don't think the union would survive a Tory-led govt.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote: What do you favour if it's a girl ... Edwina? :lol:

:shock: :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :sick:
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

Apologies if posted

David Cameron just forgot the date of the general election
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 09381.html
Speaking to staff working for the radar systems company Kelvin Hughes, Mr Cameron said: "I have a guarantee if I'm your Prime Minister after the 9th.... after the 7th of May. And it's this. We will finish the job of getting the deficit down."

Although it sort of made me think he has plans for something on the 9th.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

diGriz wrote:Apologies if posted

Speaking to staff working for the radar systems company Kelvin Hughes, Mr Cameron said: "I have a guarantee if I'm your Prime Minister after the 9th.... after the 7th of May. And it's this. We will finish the job of getting the deficit down."

Attending a football match?
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

PorFavor wrote:
diGriz wrote:Apologies if posted

Attending a football match?
start of a leadership battle? (hopefully) :)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Cameron did a toe curling, stomach cringeing interview on Womans Hour this morning. I believe I heard him repeat the lie that they took over a contracting economy and got it growing ... how have they been allowed to carry on saying that unchallenged by journalists?

The only vaguely challenging question was about his judgement re people like Clarkson. He waffled his way out of that one - insisting he didn't have a pair of rhubarb coloured corduroy trousers anywhere in his wardrobe and that it was all just happenchance that he became neighbours with Clarkson ... evading the actual question about whether it had been wise to publicly support Clarkson.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mark Ferguson ‏@Markfergusonuk 6m6 minutes ago
Michael Fallon *repeatedly* refuses to rule out backstabbing the UK over Trident. WHERE TO BEGIN WITH THE HYPOCRISY? http://labli.st/1DThVsx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

On PR, this by Skinner on election night 1992 about the liberals and PR is very good, if not seen

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

he wasn't wrong.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Roger and others with a particular interest in education matters might find this interesting. Mumsnet hosted a webchat with Nicky Morgan this morning and asked for questions in advance - there are 140 messages / questions on the thread. Nicky Morgan has engaged with some of them ... I note how studiously she has avoided those that are to do with Durham Free School - and there are quite a lot of those.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_liv ... at-11-30am" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Webchat with Conservative Education Secretary Nicky Morgan, TUESDAY 28 April at 11.30am (140 Posts)

Edited as I realised I was running a day late and still thought it was Monday .... (shakes head and thinks has it come to this).

Editing again - as I've now come across her answer re Durham Free School - so I take back my observation that she was avoiding the topic. Here tis.
Hi DFSMum,

Lots of questions about Durham Free School so let me answer them together.

The Ofsted report into Durham Free School was absolutely clear that the school was failing on a whole range of measures.

It was failing to ensure children were being looked after with bullying and intimidation widespread. It was not providing an environment in which children were able to learn and it was simply failing to provide the quality of education that we expect. The inspectors and the head of Ofsted Sir Michael Wilshaw were clear about this, and I have to say their views were supported by other people that we sent in to look at the school too. We didn't simply look at the Ofsted report and make a snap decision. I thought about this very deeply and came to a considered view.

I also considered the representations that were made during the consultation period but it was clear to me that there was no imminent prospect of improvement and no clear plan in place to turn the school around. The best thing for the children involved was therefore to act decisively so that they could be found good places in other local schools and to move on with their education.

It's always difficult to make a decision like that - I certainly didn't take the job of Education Secretary to go around closing schools - but I had to make a decision that was in my view in the best interests of the children involved. Any day a child spends in a failing school is a day wasted - a day when they're not getting the education they deserve. And I think it's important that we are prepared to act decisively wherever we identify failure.

In this case, the school was found to be failing on every measure. I am sorry if you disagree with my decision but I hope you will accept that I did what I considered to be in the best interests of the children.
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Tue 28 Apr, 2015 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Boris Johnson ‏@BorisJohnson 29m29 minutes ago
Coming to a garden near you: Mili - a man propped up by a lectern and waiting to be propped up by the SNP. pic.twitter.com/XVuQX4Hpc8

Adam Boulton retweeted
Alastair Campbell ‏@campbellclaret 15m15 minutes ago
@BorisJohnson a man who made you look a total plonker on a sofa on Sunday.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RobertSnozers wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:it is one of life's oddities that the Tories cling to a voting system that screws them over. More fool them.
They're not clinging to it - they'd have gerrymandered the boundaries if it weren't for their backbenchers short-sightedly (for them) torpedoing Lords reform (which, admittedly, was a good thing because Clegg's proposal was mindbendingly bad).

And it doesn't screw them over - it gives them more seats than their share of the vote would in a proportional system. It just happens to do even better for Labour.
True, that was loose. I was just thinking in Lab v Tory terms.

20,000 votes for one SNP MP.
1,000,000 votes for one Ukip MP (possibly worse).
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Unite launches campaign to tackle ‘Victorian’ work practices in Sports Direct

http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/unite ... ts-direct/
Employment agencies need sorting out too.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Now it’s official: voters are hurting, no matter how George Osborne spins it
By David Blanchflower

Today, just over a week before the election, the Tories were hit with major bad news. The ONS published a GDP growth rate of 0.3% for the first quarter of 2015, less than a third of the growth rate of the economy when they inherited it in the second quarter of 2010. Remember Cameron, Osborne and Clegg’s demonstrably untrue claims at the time of the 2010 general election, that the economy was bankrupt and comparable to Greece’s? Well, if that was the case then, surely we are even more like Greece now.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... are_btn_tw
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The Telegraph continues to demonstrate it's no longer a serious newspaper by ignoring the GDP story.