Wednesday 29th April 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Re: Wednesday 29th April 2015

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Eh?

Sometimes the DT is utterly baffling...
BBC accused of bias as Tories outnumbered two-to-one in Question Time debate audience

Election 2015: Up to two thirds of the programme's audience will be left wing, with 25 per cent each for Labour, the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats
That's the Liberal Democrats that have just finished 5 years coalition with the Tories?

:roll:
Tell me about it, firstly how are the remaining Lib Dems left wing?

Also see this (if we haven't already had it).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general ... o-him.html
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

rearofthestore wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 46s46 seconds ago
ComRes/Nail
Con 35% (-1) Lab 35% (+3) Lib 7% (-1) UKIP 11% (+1) Green 6% (+1)
Despite the fact the poll is better than last week its still garbage
Scotland LAB 33% SNP 32% (no even in my wildest dream)
Total voting intention based on a weighted sample of just 682
CON 235 LAB 236
Before final adjustment Lab ahead by 3%
Ignore just a much as last weeks IMO
Yep, on those numbers I agree.

I think the telephone pollsters have probably had their day.
Release the Guardvarks.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

RobertSnozers wrote:
diGriz wrote:Something to try a cheer a few up. The last one is a belter if you know the show.

14 Photos Of British Politicians Improved By “Game Of Thrones” Quotes
http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/an-el ... chZrLWvyEj
The Boris one is good, though he *wishes* he was Tyrion. And what's with the incredibly limp snowball throwing by Cameron?!
I thought the same.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rearofthestore wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 46s46 seconds ago
ComRes/Nail
Con 35% (-1) Lab 35% (+3) Lib 7% (-1) UKIP 11% (+1) Green 6% (+1)
Despite the fact the poll is better than last week its still garbage
Scotland LAB 33% SNP 32% (no even in my wildest dream)
Total voting intention based on a weighted sample of just 682
CON 235 LAB 236
Before final adjustment Lab ahead by 3%
Ignore just a much as last weeks IMO
Good spot!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Richard Blogger ‏@richardblogger 2m2 minutes ago
IEA man clearly a ranter, won't let @andyburnhammp talk #newsnight
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Hi Tizme.

We've not done enough to get your vote, that's down to us, no complaints at all. If we didn't want that to happen, we should have supported a voting system where preferences can be expressed (as for the Mayor of London).

There'll be quite a few less committed Greens though who'll be voting on the basis of something less specific (every party has voters like that). I was thinking of them really.

Interestingly in Scotland, if you compare support in Westminster elections with Holyrood regions, lots of Greens seem to be voting SNP in WM. If the same level of tactical voting could happen in England, it would be very handy.
Evening,

I'm back from the hustings. As I believe I mentioned the other day, I've been to almost all of them locally. Part of my role is to assess the audience reaction, plus where Aidan is/was strong/weak. And also to talk to people afterwards. At last night's hustings he had an absolute blinder of an evening. I wanted to kiss him! He got more applause than anyone because his answers were superb. Afterwards, we had a few people that came up and said they had been so inspired by what he said, they were now re thinking and may well vote for him. Not only that, people I know to be Labour party members/supporters told me they agreed with what Aidan was saying more than they agreed with Matt [the Labour candidate]. One of the people who said that to me is a Labour candidate in Watford in the local elections!

Tonight's audience wasn't quite as pro as last nights but even so, Aidan got a fair amount of applause. Again, after the event I had Labour party people telling me they agreed with him more than Matt. In addition, one of the Labour councillors who was also their candidate in the Mayoral election last year, came up to Aidan, introduced himself and told him he agreed with every word Aidan had said.

So yes Tubby you're right Labour haven't offered us enough. But more than that here in Watford at least, we are offering what Labour supporters actually want.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Quite a number of SNP fans on Twitter explaining that the Scottish Sun is totally different from the English version because they have different staff and editors who have their own ideas. They don't seem to like people pointing out that Rupert Murdoch owns both of them and decides what the editorial slant is and that those two front pages are pretty much aimed at doing the same thing.
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

That Conservative idea to legislate to prevent Tax increases, which I assume they thought was a real vote winner is anything but.
YouGov currently polling 45% to 30% with over 11,000 responses that it is a BAD idea.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Hi again, Tizme

There are some poor Labour candidates about. If the one there isn't doing enough, going to be much harder to get the tactical votes the SNP are getting in Scotland from Greens (with apparently less need for them).
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jamie Reed ‏@jreedmp 5m5 minutes ago
#newsnight "cruelty became normal in the NHS"...Jeremy Hunt
Did he actually say that?
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 31m 31 minutes ago
Tomorrow we have the @IpsosMORI phone poll which is being described as a "corker" whatever that means.
Oh eck ... glad I will mostly be out and away from 24 hr news.
Working on the wild side.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rearofthestore wrote:That Conservative idea to legislate to prevent Tax increases, which I assume they thought was a real vote winner is anything but.
YouGov currently polling 45% to 30% with over 11,000 responses that it is a BAD idea.
Times Leader and FT against as well.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 31m 31 minutes ago
Tomorrow we have the @IpsosMORI phone poll which is being described as a "corker" whatever that means.
Oh eck ... glad I will mostly be out and away from 24 hr news.
It means it is bollocks, its fieldwork is as old as ComRes and YouGov today.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Hi again, Tizme

There are some poor Labour candidates about. If the one there isn't doing enough, going to be much harder to get the tactical votes the SNP are getting in Scotland from Greens (with apparently less need for them).
Yep - agree. One of the saddest conversations I had tonight was with someone who wants to vote Green but has decided that he has to vote tactically. I hear that all the time. The sad bit about it was, he and his wife have come to the conclusion that Labour aren't going to win here, so they have to vote for the Dotty Mare in order to keep Rich Harrington out. And that is where tactical voting leads us.

I told him I thought a vote for Dotty was just the same as a vote for Rich but I understood where he was coming from. Asked him to vote Green in the 'locals' [which he assured me they were going to do], and suggested he join us locally and help promote the Green party so come 2020 he can vote Green with a real chance of winning............ ;)

One for me surreal moment this evening was I clapped a reply from Rich. The question asked was a bit convoluted and drew from Nick [UKIP] the reply that refugee boats from Libya and elsewhere should be sent back to where they came from. Rich got the first chance to respond and replied that he totally disagreed with any policy that meant people would be sent back to certain death.

The world has turned upside down when I agree with anything a Tory says! :o
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Jamie Reed ‏@jreedmp 5m5 minutes ago
#newsnight "cruelty became normal in the NHS"...Jeremy Hunt
Did he actually say that?
I didn't hear that but Hunt made sure that he brought up Mid Staffs twice.

He also said that we have 1,000 avoidable deaths every month - not sure where that comes from - Brian Jarman's dodgy figure s probably.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Stupid headline of the day. From the Indy
We're running out of leaders: Nigel Farage, Nick Clegg, Jim Murphy, Natalie Bennett all set to lose in the General Election
Farage was a long shot to win, and he probably will.

Murphy is probably in trouble. Ditto Clegg.

But surely nobody seriously expected Bennett to win her seat. Hardly a shock and if Caroline Lucas gets re-elected it could be argued Bennett has done ok as leader.
Release the Guardvarks.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

adam wrote:
ephemerid wrote:I have a dilemma if the Tories get in again.

I can't turn to drink because I'm in recovery.
I can't turn to drugs ditto.

I can't march because I can't walk far enough.
I can't riot ditto.

So to save me the agony of having nothing to ease my pain, vote Labour.

Please.
So, sex addiction here we come!

No.

Cake.

Of course, there's no problem if Labour wins....
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

RobertSnozers wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
David Cameron: it's time for Tory campaign to let rip in final week
Prime minister acknowledges voters are hesitant about voting Conservative but says he is turning up the dial: ‘I think we will get there’

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... servatives" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gird your loins, people.

goodnight
love
cJA
"The Quiet Man is here to stay! But he's turning up the volume!"

"These ones go to eleven"
"Does Sir wear brown?"
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

AngryAsWell wrote:Looks like the Guardian will be going for Con/Dems.
The Conservatives have received praise from 90 tech entrepreneurs, who have written to the Guardian to say it would be bad for jobs, growth and innovation to “change course”. The company executives, who endorsed the Conservative-led government for supporting the tech industry, include Brent Hoberman, a co-founder of Lastminute.com and Made.com as well as a non-executive at Guardian Media Group; Andrew Fisher, executive chairman of Shazam; and Tim Steiner, chief executive and co-founder of Ocado.

Other signatories include David Cameron’s digital adviser and Tory peer, Baroness Joanna Shields; Alex Chesterman, chief executive and co-founder of Zoopla; and Holly Tucker, founder and president of Notonthehighstreet.

I am so depressed I cant do anything, I'm just playing stupid FB games all day. :cry:
Is ShappsFoxStocktonGreen on that list? Or his missus? They're, like, tech entrepreneurs...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...