Thursday 30th April 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 30th April 2015

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Thursday 30th April 2015

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning!

A surprisingly reasonable piece on the polls and possible election outcomes in the Groan

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/dat ... e-to-no-10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tories-lead-the-contest-for-largest-party-but-ed-miliband-leads-the-race-to-no-10
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Concern is mounting that Cameron may not appear at tonight's Q&A session as he has been putting in a shift at CCHQ. It has been reported that several high profile MPs who failed to attend hustings did so because they had lost their voices after putting in their stint. David was advised to give it a rest but aides suspect he secretly wants any excuse not to attend. A whistleblower has also confirmed that over the last few days CCHQ has been receiving emergency bulk deliveries of sticks, helium and millions of silver crescent-shaped balloons.

Edit: inserted silver crescent-shaped to cover my foolishness.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Thu 30 Apr, 2015 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Some great testimony from our Watford correspondent Tizme yesterday evening.

Some clear evidence of something that I've been droning on about and which the Westminster lot are largely ignoring, namely the influence of local elections on the way the General plays out. This is probably because there are no local elections in London, so the MSM haven't even noticed!

From Wiki
In England, direct elections are to be held in all 36 metropolitan boroughs, 194 of the second-tier districts, 49 of the unitary authorities, as well as for various mayoral posts, meaning local elections will take place in all parts of England with the exception of seven unitary authorities (Cornwall, Durham, the Isle of Wight, Northumberland, Isles of Scilly, Shropshire and Wiltshire), seven districts and boroughs (Adur, Cheltenham, Fareham, Gosport, Hastings, Nuneaton and Bedworth and Oxford), and the 32 London boroughs. For the majority of English districts and the 25 unitary authorities that are elected "all out" these will be the first elections since 2011. Elections will also take place for most English parish councils.
Tizme reported that some people in Watford are planning to vote Green in the locals and Labour tactically in the General. Surely this could be widespread behaviour that the polls will struggle to pick up. Presumably, Cameron could also benefit from similar behaviour around the UKIP vote, but has anyone even thought about it?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Morning.

There was a very good edition of The World Tonight last night, presented from Scotland by the excellent Ritula Shah.

It helped me personally because they interviewed a lot of people who are not SNP maniacs, and are aware of the seductions the SNP presents.
Also, I felt I could understand a lot of the SNP voters they interviewed, apart from one twit who kept saying 'Tories & Labour, cannae tell the difference', and why they were on the Sturgeon bandwagon.

Most of the Nats who get attention are the potty mouthed idiots like that awful woman Claire Roberston on Twitter, or the 'M15 are operating false flags' drones on Cif.
It is good to hear the normal, decent folk who have decided to vote SNP.

Also, we were reminded that if polls are to believed, up to 29% are undecided, and tactical voting
may increase. Concern about job losses at Faslane seemed to worry people. There are estimated to be up to 40,000 linked jobs at risk. For the local town the SNP policy would be a disaster.

A commentator also made it clear how the SNP have cleverly made Trident a major issue, in the past it was not.
Whatever else you may feel about the Nats, they play blinders with their campaigns.

Ruth Wishart, an Indy supporting commentator said she thinks the SNP will likely get 30+ seats, not as many as mooted, but she may just be doing some expectation management.

What it has taught me is to not judge everyone by their representation in the social media, especially Twitter & Cif.
Emotion and anxiety about May 7th can block rational thought somewhat.
Last edited by yahyah on Thu 30 Apr, 2015 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Sorry, so busy rambling I forgot to post the radio programme link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05s3c5n
Last edited by yahyah on Thu 30 Apr, 2015 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Some great testimony from our Watford correspondent Tizme yesterday evening.

Some clear evidence of something that I've been droning on about and which the Westminster lot are largely ignoring, namely the influence of local elections on the way the General plays out. This is probably because there are no local elections in London, so the MSM haven't even noticed!

From Wiki
In England, direct elections are to be held in all 36 metropolitan boroughs, 194 of the second-tier districts, 49 of the unitary authorities, as well as for various mayoral posts, meaning local elections will take place in all parts of England with the exception of seven unitary authorities (Cornwall, Durham, the Isle of Wight, Northumberland, Isles of Scilly, Shropshire and Wiltshire), seven districts and boroughs (Adur, Cheltenham, Fareham, Gosport, Hastings, Nuneaton and Bedworth and Oxford), and the 32 London boroughs. For the majority of English districts and the 25 unitary authorities that are elected "all out" these will be the first elections since 2011. Elections will also take place for most English parish councils.
Tizme reported that some people in Watford are planning to vote Green in the locals and Labour tactically in the General. Surely this could be widespread behaviour that the polls will struggle to pick up. Presumably, Cameron could also benefit from similar behaviour around the UKIP vote, but has anyone even thought about it?
We've got no local elections in Wales either so this wouldn't apply here. However ... and I know I bang on about this ... we have had just about nil involvement by the Greens in local elections and that's something I really regret and - tbh - slightly resent in terms of this election. I'd really like them to start building a record of public service from the ground here. Too many of our candidates this year seem to have just popped up for this election alone and we probably won't hear or see anything from them once it's over.
Working on the wild side.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Some great testimony from our Watford correspondent Tizme yesterday evening.

From Wiki
We've got no local elections in Wales either so this wouldn't apply here. However ... and I know I bang on about this ... we have had just about nil involvement by the Greens in local elections and that's something I really regret and - tbh - slightly resent in terms of this election. I'd really like them to start building a record of public service from the ground here. Too many of our candidates this year seem to have just popped up for this election alone and we probably won't hear or see anything from them once it's over.
We've had no communication at all from the Greens, only a week to go.
Maybe they are saving the planet, not wasting paper.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Danny Alexander says it's deceitful of the Tories not to spell out how they will make 12 billion of cuts to social security (except he says welfare of course) if they actually know where they are going to make them.

Well - Nick Clegg knew he couldn't and wouldn't honour his tuition fees pledge before the election ... and the Lib Dems signed up to a Health & Social Care Act that wasn't in the Tories' manifesto and went against the explicit promise of no more top down reorganisation of the NHS. Wasn't that deceitful then?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Tory denials seem rather specific. No Tories would go on Radio 4 but their statement said, am paraphrasing it, the PM & Cancellor have no plans to do as Alexander has said.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

'Neither the Prime minister nor the Chancellor would back such measures' is the quote.

What about IDS, and the rest of the Tories ?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

From Wiki Tizme reported that some people in Watford are planning to vote Green in the locals and Labour tactically in the General. Surely this could be widespread behaviour that the polls will struggle to pick up. Presumably, Cameron could also benefit from similar behaviour around the UKIP vote, but has anyone even thought about it?
We've had no communication at all from the Greens, only a week to go.
Maybe they are saving the planet, not wasting paper.
They need to find a way of converting some of the surge in membership into activists on the ground who are prepared to go out and door knock, attend relevant meetings and get some kind of local momentum going. They won't have the funds locally to do mass postal deliveries so they'll need to find and use alternative ways to reach people. There was an interesting bit on one of the news programmes the other night about how the Lib Dems built up their elected representation - and it was through focussing hard in certain areas - starting with the councils and local issues etc - and not spreading their resources thinly. That's stood them in good stead - especially when times and fortunes are so rough for them now - they will still get more seats than might be expected because of that vote concentration. The commentator was saying Ukip need to do more of that. The Greens could also target their resources more and make more headway.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Tory denials seem rather specific. No Tories would go on Radio 4 but their statement said, am paraphrasing it, the PM & Cancellor have no plans to do as Alexander has said.
I never ever trust the phrase 'have no plans to'. It means diddly squat.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Scottish Sun front page:

https://twitter.com/jpublik" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sturgeon as Princess Leia, complete with phallic light sabre, headline: Stur Wars, a New Hope.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

General Election 2015: Labour's Scottish leader predicts Cameron will 'remain as PM' as new poll predicts SNP will win all seats north of the border

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 14211.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
yahyah wrote:Tory denials seem rather specific. No Tories would go on Radio 4 but their statement said, am paraphrasing it, the PM & Cancellor have no plans to do as Alexander has said.
I never ever trust the phrase 'have no plans to'. It means diddly squat.
Yes, it probably means "Well we were and we would have got away with it if it wasn't for those pesky LibDems!"
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Scottish Sun front page:

Sturgeon as Princess Leia, complete with phallic light sabre, headline: Stur Wars, a New Hope.

Areas should be able to declare themselves 'Sun free zones' - as in nuclear free zones. Liverpool saw them / it for what it is ... wish more places would wake up to the gross manipulation.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Areas should be able to declare themselves 'Sun free zones' - as in nuclear free zones. Liverpool saw them / it for what it is ... wish more places would wake up to the gross manipulation.
One of the (many) things that's been bugging me is all those ultra lefty types who are screaming for the end of Labour and are pro SNP are the same people who usually (rightly) squeal about Murdoch.
Yet they make excuses or ignore the behind the scenes deals that must be going on now.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

Good morning. :D

Re: Cameron and 'getting pumped' and 'letting rip'.
Where I woz brung up (oop norf) 'pumped' and 'letting rip' means farting.
So, to me, Cameron is just a fart.

As for the Sun rag (not newspaper), it's obvious to those with a modicum of intelligence that Murdock wants SNP to destroy Labour in Scotland and the tories to do better in the rest of the UK so he gets a Tory government who will quietly forget Leveson.
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 2 mins2 minutes ago
CON moves from 4% behind to 5% lead amongst those certain to vote with Ipsos-MORI
CON 35 +2
LAB 30 -5
LD 8 +1
UKIP 10=
GRN 8 =
Another joke poll.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Spacedone wrote:
Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 2 mins2 minutes ago
CON moves from 4% behind to 5% lead amongst those certain to vote with Ipsos-MORI
CON 35 +2
LAB 30 -5
LD 8 +1
UKIP 10=
GRN 8 =
Another joke poll.
Yep, why publish it, although again it is entirely in the margin of error for it to say 33/33.
Release the Guardvarks.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

With all the Tory non-appearances at debates and hustings, the term Cancellor seems highly appropriate ;-)
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@rebeccariots2

Since you've thanked me for my bit of nonsense earlier can you answer me something please as I'm a little concerned for my sanity. I've just got in from seeing my eldest and gave him the account of my daily tale but he had no idea where I was coming from today having never heard the expression of giving or offering someone a balloon on a stick. I've since discovered that Google and Bing are not my friends. I haven't made it up, have I? The expression that is, obviously I have my tale.

Btw he's suggested people must be dying for the election to be over so I stop coming up with such nonsense.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Swarthlander wrote:Good morning. :D

Re: Cameron and 'getting pumped' and 'letting rip'.
Where I woz brung up (oop norf) 'pumped' and 'letting rip' means farting.
So, to me, Cameron is just a fart.

As for the Sun rag (not newspaper), it's obvious to those with a modicum of intelligence that Murdock wants SNP to destroy Labour in Scotland and the tories to do better in the rest of the UK so he gets a Tory government who will quietly forget Leveson.
A spokesperson for Rupert Murdoch has told Labour leader Ed Miliband:
...he will have to strike a deal with the SNP after a new poll suggested the Nationalists are poised to win every one of Scotland’s 59 seats.
The First Minister made her demand buoyed by an unprecedented survey that put her party on 54 per cent and saw Labour’s share of the vote plummet by four points to just 20 per cent. Using the Ipsos Mori figures, the Electoral Calculus website predicts the SNP would take all the constituencies in the country.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3758695

(actually, Electoral Calculus currently predicts 55, not 59) Is there no end to the arrogance of this woman? Ed would be very foolish to do a deal before the election.

The EC prediction comes with a health warning:
There has been a dearth of Scotland-only polls of Westminster voting intention since spring 2012. To make an estimate of Scottish voting intention, the opinion poll data above now includes "aggregated polls". These are based on the daily YouGov polling for the Sun and the Sunday Times. These polls are nationwide, but they contain a separately-reported Scottish component. The Scottish sample size of each individual poll is small (around 150 voters), which is not usable in isolation. However, if we add up all the Scottish components over a full month, the total sample size is around 1,500 voters which is a usable total. Because the YouGov methodology is constant, the individual Scottish samples should be consistent and able to be aggregated.
http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/polls_scot.html
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Just had a YouGov survey.

Someone seems to want to know what people think of Labour and more left wing policies.

Questions like:
Ed Miliband has criticised the actions of some businesses and wealthy people. Do you think his criticisms…? Answers allowed were 'go too far' to 'don't go far enough' or don't know.

Would you support or oppose the following policies...
Introducing a new tax on houses worth more than £2 million?

Also questions on non doms , and whether voting should be compulsory.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Bloody immigrants, stealing our beavers' homes. Bet they don't even speak English.
Immigrant beavers adapting well to life in Tayside
http://www.scotsman.com/news/environmen ... -1-3758426
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

That MORI poll has a barely credible Green figure - and its Scottish sub-sample has the SNP on 70% :D

UKIP almost certainly too low, too.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

The Green figure certainly looks rogue. Not bothered at all by the Scotland being out of line: Scotland is a tiny share.
Overall it is the trend that matters, and the trend is squeaky bum.

Does anyone live in a Lab target marginal?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Eric_WLothian wrote:Bloody immigrants, stealing our beavers' homes. Bet they don't even speak English.
Immigrant beavers adapting well to life in Tayside
http://www.scotsman.com/news/environmen ... -1-3758426
Didn't I see the immigrants had made it to England as well and successfully challenged an attempt to deport them.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... river-home

The Otters of the River Otter have joined UKIP.
Release the Guardvarks.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

SpinningHugo wrote:The Green figure certainly looks rogue. Not bothered at all by the Scotland being out of line: Scotland is a tiny share.

I'm in the top of Wirral South so a short distance from McVile. Not a stones throw unfortunately, I'd be sorely tempted!
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

yahyah wrote:'Neither the Prime minister nor the Chancellor would back such measures' is the quote.

What about IDS, and the rest of the Tories ?
I don't know, yahyah. I'm sure I read somewhere, maybe the G about a year or more ago, and am more sure that I have more recently regarding the extra cuts to social security that it was Osborne that demanded them and that IDS suggested that they're not deliverable. Btw please don't think I'm standing by IDS or any such thing.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

A week to go, time to start tracking the weather.

Is this royal sprog going to drop anytime soon btw?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

StephenDolan wrote:Morning all.

A week to go, time to start tracking the weather.

Is this royal sprog going to drop anytime soon btw?
Worryingly I believe it will turn up. Whether that will really make any difference, who knows.

Sunshine and showers forecast for next Thursday, which translates to nobody has a clue.
Release the Guardvarks.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

rebeccariots2 wrote:... Areas should be able to declare themselves 'Sun free zones' - as in nuclear free zones. Liverpool saw them / it for what it is ... wish more places would wake up to the gross manipulation.
I neither live in Liverpool nor have a Scouse accent, rebecca, or wear my LFC shirt locally but often remark on others who pick up a copy of the Sun. The replies aren't always flattering until I tell them I support Liverpool and used to live there.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:The Green figure certainly looks rogue. Not bothered at all by the Scotland being out of line: Scotland is a tiny share.

I'm in Colne Valley - big ask for Labour but almost certain Lib Dem collapse plus a few tactical from Greens could do it for Labour's Jane East
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Tories apparently whining they will be "outnumbered" in tonights Question time not-a-debate thingy. Diddums :)

These leaks about benefit cuts are well timed for that, aren't they?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Tories apparently whining they will be "outnumbered" in tonights Question time not-a-debate thingy. Diddums :)

These leaks about benefit cuts are well timed for that, aren't they?
How can you be "outnumbered" with the format being as it is?

Good morfternoon, everyone.

I disappeared last night without bidding you all "goodnight" - sorry. Events, dear boy(s) and girls.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Is there something wrong (over and above the usual) with the Guardian Election Blog site today?

Edited to add -

Ok now
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

SpinningHugo wrote:... Does anyone live in a Lab target marginal?
I and frightful_oik live in South Derbyshire, SpinningHugo, which is number 105 on the list. I don't pay attention to polls but it's a strange mix round these parts, seemingly comprising considerable numbers of 'silent' Tory voters and I've mixed in a number of different circles during my time here.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

No, but very close to Stockton South. Had a little chat with my hairdresser the other day, she lives there, gave her a short economics lesson and she declared herself converted to Labour. She'd been thinking of voting LibDem, god help us.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

utopiandreams wrote:@rebeccariots2

Since you've thanked me for my bit of nonsense earlier can you answer me something please as I'm a little concerned for my sanity. I've just got in from seeing my eldest and gave him the account of my daily tale but he had no idea where I was coming from today having never heard the expression of giving or offering someone a balloon on a stick. I've since discovered that Google and Bing are not my friends. I haven't made it up, have I? The expression that is, obviously I have my tale.

Btw he's suggested people must be dying for the election to be over so I stop coming up with such nonsense.
I think the phrase is 'moon on a stick'.

Morning all - have re-registered as had trouble logging in for some reason! Username changed from 'Nicky' to Nicky in Norfolk.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

No 72. NE Somerset. First Ashcroft poll had Tories and Labour neck and neck which was surprising. The most recent Ashcroft poll had Rees-Mogg increasing his majority, which was also surprising.

Rees-Mogg has had bad press locally and his pro-fracking stance is unpopular. I thought he'd win on a much reduced majority. Neither Ashcroft poll makes much sense to me.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

I had a chance encounter with North Norfolk MP, Norman Lamb, on Tuesday. He was out canvassing with his entourage. My Other Half and I did challenge him over what his party have been doing in government. Predictably enough he was defending the LibDems' record in government but he did look a bit sheepish (no pun intended) about it. He didn't look very pleased at all when I mentioned his party could have gone into a confidence and supply arrangement - I suspect because he agreed but couldn't admit to it.
Last edited by nickyinnorfolk on Thu 30 Apr, 2015 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Sadly no. Maidstone & The Weald (and "The Weald" is the problem) would vote for a turd in a blue rosette which, interestingly, is pretty much what we've got.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

Sadly no. Maidstone & The Weald (and "The Weald" is the problem) would vote for a turd in a blue rosette which, interestingly, is pretty much what we've got.
I used to live down there. I think it was Widi when I was there.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

One of the (many) things that's been bugging me is all those ultra lefty types who are screaming for the end of Labour and are pro SNP are the same people who usually (rightly) squeal about Murdoch.
Yet they make excuses or ignore the behind the scenes deals that must be going on now.
Today's front page of the Sun in England/Wales features Cameron as a BABY, I kid you not. They're evidently trying to link the imminent royal birth with support for the Tories. It fails on so many levels. It's also very telling that the Scottish Sun is bigging up The Sturge. I wonder if this will alert some of the Scots currently disillusioned with Labour to the fact that support for the SNP is exactly what Murdoch and the Tories want them to fall for.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

nickyinnorfolk wrote:
yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Today's front page of the Sun in England/Wales features Cameron as a BABY, I kid you not. They're evidently trying to link the imminent royal birth with support for the Tories. It fails on so many levels. It's also very telling that the Scottish Sun is bigging up The Sturge. I wonder if this will alert some of the Scots currently disillusioned with Labour to the fact that support for the SNP is exactly what Murdoch and the Tories want them to fall for.
It's ludicrous isn't it Nicky?

And the Scots one says 'Vote SNP' and the English one says 'Vote Tory - Reason No 2 to stop the SNP running the country' :o
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

nickyinnorfolk wrote:... I think the phrase is 'moon on a stick'...
Thanks for that, Nicky. Well I say thanks for preserving my sanity even if does mean highlighting my idiocy.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

And the England/Wales Sun headline attacks the SNP. Go figure ...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

nickyinnorfolk wrote:
yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
It's a rather grotesque picture (the baby\Cameron one), isn't it? Hopefully, it will put people off rather than having, what I must assume is, the desired effect.