Thursday 30th April 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 30th April 2015

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Eric Pickles ‏@EricPickles 6m6 minutes ago
Nick you wrote to me suggesting the end to single person discount on Council tax - Conservatives said no #bbcqt
Look what Danny Alexander has started ... this tit for tatting could go on for another week. And then they might be bosom buddies all over again ... sick making.
Working on the wild side.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Cameron got away with it again - I counted 5 times he failed to answer the same question, viz: where are the "welfare" cuts coming from?

He also got away with 3 questions on food banks, and the whole thing was just a rehash of his usual soundbites - plus Ivan, natch.

I think Miliband had a slightly harder time of it; but he stuck to his guns and wouldn't back down on the EU or the SNP.

One thing intrigues me - Cameron keeps bringing out the now-infamous Liam Byrne note and drones on about it; Miliband is forced to defend it again and again, plus he now has to deal with people complaining because Ed Balls said it was a joke.

It really IS a fucking joke. It was a joke when Reggie Maudling did it (and I believe other ministers since) so why doe Ed never point this out?
It's one of those in-jokes, and whilst I don't expect all that many people to know the history of these things it would be helpful to mention te background - as it is, Cameron gets away with this every single bloody time and is laughing at us all. Wanker.

I can't watch Clegg. He'll be all charming and funny like last time, and look where that got us.

My verdict? Cameron got away with murder by cliche/Ivan/treasury note yet again and swereved the questions as usual.
Miliband did a difficult job reasonably well, but I think he had more hostility to deal with than Cameron.

As I announced before the programme started, this will be reported as a win for Cameron. It was always going to be a win for Cameron.

At least he didn't chicken out of this one.

Grumpy, I am.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

And this is one of Clegg's supporters!!! :shock:
James O'Shaughnessy
‏@jamesosh
Clegg talking crap on tuition fees. He wasn't between 'rock and hard place'. I was in the room when he decided to vote for it. He was keen.
James O'Shaughnessy @jamesosh
Two reasons Clegg made LDs vote for £9k fees: 1. He thought that, as it came from LD dept (BIS), they should. 2. He agreed with policy.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

ephemerid wrote: My verdict? Cameron got away with murder by cliche/Ivan/treasury note yet again and swereved the questions as usual.
Miliband did a difficult job reasonably well, but I think he had more hostility to deal with than Cameron.
Agree, although I didn't watch all of Cameron, couldn't face it.

From AS blog
Having praised the audience for their tough questions earlier, I’m starting to have second thoughts. The fact that someone thinks we might have weathered the recession better if Gordon Brown had not sold the gold says it all.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Adam Boulton ✔@adamboultonSKY
Loud chat at the back of the spin room. Not everyone listening to Nick Clegg.
10:23 PM - 30 Apr 2015
There's some hope for us then.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 2m2 minutes ago
In last election Cameron's strongest debate performance was his last. At the moment he's on course to repeat the trick.
FFS.

And this isn't a debate. That's the whole point. It's just Cameron choosing to answer what he wants to ... which isn't much.
Aye he'll be pumped up and letting it rip :lol:
That image would win my nomination for the FTN Toby Latimer Award for Photoshopped/Adapted Image :)

Waves to Toby, just in case you see this :)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Re. Twitter liking Cameron .... not so much actually. Apols for the link to the Currant Bun, but it makes the point nicely (respite the best efforts of those nice Republican). :-)

http://www.sunnation.co.uk/what-will-tw ... me-debate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

snp in graun blog wrote:If Ed Miliband is saying that he would rather let the Tories back into government than work with the SNP to keep them out, people in Scotland and indeed elsewhere in the UK would never forgive the Labour Party.
And therefore more people should vote against Labour. Really sterling reasoning skills from the SNP.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
snp in graun blog wrote:If Ed Miliband is saying that he would rather let the Tories back into government than work with the SNP to keep them out, people in Scotland and indeed elsewhere in the UK would never forgive the Labour Party.
And therefore more people should vote against Labour. Really sterling reasoning skills from the SNP.
How would the Tories get put into government in that situation?

Surely not by the SNP supporting them?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF. Night all.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Miliband rode out the hostility early on and seemed strong later on. Balanced audience my arse btw!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:

Yes, I think what happens is that the SNP support the Tories BUT it's Miliband's fault.

Scottish Separatists Unite!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

PorFavor wrote:Nick Clegg - the most votes and the most seats. Which? David Dimbleby should have pinned him down on this.
And it should have been pointed out that that's not what is supposed to happen post-election. The sitting PM gets first choice on whether or not to attempt to form a Government. Mostly they concede immediately if one of the other parties has a clear majority as there'd be no point in wasting parliamentary time on a doomed attempt to continue. But, in the event of a hung parliament it should be down to the sitting PM to open any necessary discussions and I think that the LibDems failed to show the proper courtesy last time, in leaping straight into serious talks with the Tories, and will try to do the same if Labour don't get a clear majority (even by just one seat) this time. Brown might have been too gentlemanly, last time.

If there is to be (under Labour) a Constitutional Convention it should go wider than simply devolution to nations and regions and look at setting a legal framework for what is currently just Civil Service Guidelines on post-election procedure.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

FH General Election ‏@FHUKPolitics · 13 mins13 minutes ago
Our analytics team has found that David Cameron won the twitter #bbcqt with most positive sentiment #GE2015
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AngryAsWell wrote:FH General Election ‏@FHUKPolitics · 13 mins13 minutes ago
Our analytics team has found that David Cameron won the twitter #bbcqt with most positive sentiment #GE2015
Which contradicts the Sun Twitter worm.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote: And therefore more people should vote against Labour. Really sterling reasoning skills from the SNP.

Yes, I think what happens is that the SNP support the Tories BUT it's Miliband's fault.

Scottish Separatists Unite!
Actually Miliband has put the SNP in their box. They will really have little choice other than to vote through any potential Labour queens speech. The idea they would blame Labour for them voting down the government is hysterical.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Karren Brady CBE ‏@karren_brady 2h2 hours ago
Cameron gets my vote. He's got Britain back on its feet like a great CEO turning around a bankrupt business. Ed just not up to it #bbcqt

David Hanson retweeted
Clive May ‏@efgbricklayer 6m6 minutes ago
@karren_brady As a party member i went 2 Cameron 4 help over RBS abusing EFG's did he help? I'm now supporting @DavidHansonMP because he did
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

LadyCentauria wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: FFS.

And this isn't a debate. That's the whole point. It's just Cameron choosing to answer what he wants to ... which isn't much.
Aye he'll be pumped up and letting it rip :lol:
That image would win my nomination for the FTN Toby Latimer Award for Photoshopped/Adapted Image :)

I should have posted this earlier then. :?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ben Glaze ‏@benglaze 13m13 minutes ago
Great line from Lucy Powell on Miliband's minor trip: "Ed slipped on David Cameron's sweat." #GE2015 #bbcqt
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

ephemerid wrote:... At least he didn't chicken out of this one...

But he did, didn't he, ephemerid? This was no debate although he did his best to equate it (and PMQs) to one. As I've suggested before, whenever he sounds reasonable he always bases his arguments on a misleading or false premise. I assume that's how he gained his first at Oxford, my own marking was rarely so generous, albeit I felt mean at times especially compared to student's personal tutors when acting as a second marker for final projects. You only deserve a first for excellence, which he does not demonstrate.

Edit: fixed my edited quote, well ephe's.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Thu 30 Apr, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Smithson - Figures from tonight's YouGov/Sun poll
: CON 34%, LAB 35%, LD 8%, UKIP 12%, GRN 5%
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mark Ferguson ‏@Markfergusonuk 48m48 minutes ago
I can’t watch Sturgeon on BBC Scotland, but @conorpope is watching, and he says Sturgeon is getting a kicking on second referendum plans
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

utopiandreams wrote:
ephemerid wrote:... At least he didn't chicken out of this one.../quote]

But he did, didn't he, ephemerid? This was no debate although he did his best to equate it (and PMQs) to one. As I've suggested before, whenever he sounds reasonable he always bases his arguments on a misleading or false premise. I assume that's how he gained his first at Oxford, my own marking was rarely so generous, albeit I felt mean at times especially compared to student's personal tutors when acting as a second marker for final projects. You only deserve a first for excellence, which he does not demonstrate.
The only 'excellence' I saw tonight was in his well practiced dodging. Even Nick Robinson summed his performance up as dodging the questions. Dodgy Dave.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

diGriz wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote: Aye he'll be pumped up and letting it rip :lol:

I should have posted this earlier then. :?
:clap: :rofl:
Can I have two nominations, then? Or could we have two Toby Latimer Awards - ie., Photoshopped Image and Adapted-drawing?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Mark Ferguson ‏@Markfergusonuk 48m48 minutes ago
I can’t watch Sturgeon on BBC Scotland, but @conorpope is watching, and he says Sturgeon is getting a kicking on second referendum plans
Conor Pope's twitter feed
https://twitter.com/Conorpope/with_replies?lang=en-gb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

caspar berry
‏@casparberry @DPJHodges @twcuddleston @nickwealthall Hodges uses vine of Ed stumbling. Teenage girl points out how childish that is. Says it all really.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

< Girding my loins (and girdling my lions!) to watch the Nigel Farage QT-equivalent. And, at some point, will watch the Sturgeon and Wood ones. Anyone who wants to see them but lives in the 'wrong' country can, fairly easily, Change Location in BBC iPlayer. Just scroll down the iPlayer (online) main page a little and the option is there: click on it and it'll give you a drop-down menu to choose from. On the Smart TV version, it's on the top line under Settings so click on that then scroll down to Change My Location. Just remember to change it back again when you're done :)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

LadyCentauria wrote:< Girding my loins (and girdling my lions!) to watch the Nigel Farage QT-equivalent. And, at some point, will watch the Sturgeon and Wood ones. Anyone who wants to see them but lives in the 'wrong' country can, fairly easily, Change Location in BBC iPlayer. Just scroll down the iPlayer (online) main page a little and the option is there: click on it and it'll give you a drop-down menu to choose from. On the Smart TV version, it's on the top line under Settings so click on that then scroll down to Change My Location. Just remember to change it back again when you're done :)
You're always so helpful Lady C. Thank you. I don't think I can stomach Sturgeon and / or Wood tonight though. Cameron was more than enough.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Farage has only just started speaking and I'm already poised to release my lions. Shame it's pre-recorded – and that the lions couldn't get through the wires (and the wireless signals) in order to reach that studio in Birmingham...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Owen Jones ‏@OwenJones84 2h2 hours ago
@toadmeister I know being personal and unpleasant is your schtick, but your tweets always make me think of Finchy from The Office
Perfect put down.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

I don't know why so many people think Farage is 'someone who tells it like it is'/'down-to-earth'/'the sort of bloke you could have a pint with.' I find it hard to concentrate on the questions and his answers because he always seems, to me, to talk down to people – and he answers questions as if he were talking to an uneducated child.

Also, there was a question on leaving the EU following which JoCo asked for a show of hands for EU/leave EU. About 35% raised hands for leaving, most of the remainder for staying. When asked if he'd respect a similar outcome in a referendum he waffled about free-and-fair In/Out referendums then said, "If you ask should we be part of a Free-Trade Area or not, over 70% vote to be part of an FTA." Well, that wouldn't be the question in an In/Out referendum, would it, Farage!? :spit:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

LadyCentauria wrote:I don't know why so many people think Farage is 'someone who tells it like it is'/'down-to-earth'/'the sort of bloke you could have a pint with.'
Doesn't listen to music, doesn't read, doesn't watch TV.

What on earth would you talk to him about?

Politics
Beer
Er...that's it.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Gerada quits NHS England to be able to speak out on NHS privatisation
http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/politi ... UKqRPlViko" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She said: ‘I think the big things that are wrong cannot be fixed by me [working for NHS England]. These are big things like restoring the secretary of state’s duty to provide a comprehensive health system, like ensuring that we have equity of funding across different areas. Those are the things that are being rapidly removed and being put into the hands of quangos, really.’

The former RCGP chair said that the ‘important thing’ is to bring the NHS ‘back to public ownership, back into proper finance to being properly delivered - and stop this desperate quest for privatisation’

She added: ‘Despite what the Conservatives are saying, as GPs we only need to look around us to know what is going on, and that is that people are no longer able to access the care that they need to because of serious problems with funding and a constant move towards tendering and all things like that.’
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:I don't know why so many people think Farage is 'someone who tells it like it is'/'down-to-earth'/'the sort of bloke you could have a pint with.'
Doesn't listen to music, doesn't read, doesn't watch TV.

What on earth would you talk to him about?

Politics
Beer
Er...that's it.
Traffic jams, nasty viruses and the terrible weather consequences of certain types of behaviour and inclination.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Am I right to find this depressing and worrying? I asked several days ago if anyone knew if there was co-ordinated vote swapping / pairing going on ... and didn't get much of a response. Looks as though there may well be.
Pauly M ‏@mr_miyoggi 1h1 hour ago
@TheGreenParty how do you feel about vote swapping. I would rather see a lab mp @steve_mccabe return than a tory. Can you tell me where.

Steve McCabe ‏@steve_mccabe 52m52 minutes ago
@mr_miyoggi @TheGreenParty check it out but bear in mind that with a majority of 3,482 it won't take much swapping before you have a Tory MP

Pauly M ‏@mr_miyoggi 50m50 minutes ago
@steve_mccabe @TheGreenParty ok steve but aren't you relatively safe? What's the swing needed to oust you?

Steve McCabe ‏@steve_mccabe 47m47 minutes ago
@mr_miyoggi @TheGreenParty it's 3.7 where 4 is normally accepted as definition of a marginal seat

Pauly M ‏@mr_miyoggi 11m11 minutes ago
@steve_mccabe @TheGreenParty hey steve apparently a lot of labour voters willing to swap in your constituency must think your safe.

Steve McCabe ‏@steve_mccabe 6m6 minutes ago
.@mr_miyoggi @TheGreenParty may think that. You can check the figures, don't take my word for it. If enough vote Green you go Blue

fed up ‏@DaveB59 5m5 minutes ago
@steve_mccabe @mr_miyoggi @TheGreenParty Labour turned blue to get Bliar elected, sorry New Labour

Pauly M ‏@mr_miyoggi 3m3 minutes ago
@steve_mccabe @TheGreenParty I'm voting lab but on the partisan site voteswap there I couldn't join as too many lab votrs willing to go grn
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

And here's the link to the vote swapping website mentioned in those tweets.

http://voteswap.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I put my postcode in to see what it would tell me ... and it came back with a 'sorry this website only covers English constituencies' message.

Other FTNers in England might like to see what it says about their constituency / Labour Green candidates' chances.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Am I right to find this depressing and worrying? I asked several days ago if anyone knew if there was co-ordinated vote swapping / pairing going on ... and didn't get much of a response. Looks as though there may well be.
@TheGreenParty how do you feel about vote swapping. I would rather see a lab mp @steve_mccabe return than a tory. Can you tell me where.

@mr_miyoggi @TheGreenParty check it out but bear in mind that with a majority of 3,482 it won't take much swapping before you have a Tory MP

@steve_mccabe @TheGreenParty ok steve but aren't you relatively safe? What's the swing needed to oust you?

@mr_miyoggi @TheGreenParty it's 3.7 where 4 is normally accepted as definition of a marginal seat

@steve_mccabe @TheGreenParty hey steve apparently a lot of labour voters willing to swap in your constituency must think your safe.

.@mr_miyoggi @TheGreenParty may think that. You can check the figures, don't take my word for it. If enough vote Green you go Blue

@steve_mccabe @mr_miyoggi @TheGreenParty Labour turned blue to get Bliar elected, sorry New Labour

@steve_mccabe @TheGreenParty I'm voting lab but on the partisan site voteswap there I couldn't join as too many lab votrs willing to go grn
I saw the Green's PPB the other night - I've often voted for green candidates in the past and have considered joining at some points (and I haven't been a Labour member since the spring of 1991).

Like the SNP bleating 'red tory' the Greens have decided now to tell me that I'm just another tory for considering voting labour because they're just the same.

Go fuck yourself mate.

I respect the drive, intelligence, persistence and views of the Green supporters who we have here, and I don't mean to cause trouble, but I can't begin to see why the Party could think this was a good idea and I'm done with any thought of good feeling for them. All the same my fucking arse.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The SNP pretending they don't understand what a minority government would be.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

PR, PR, PR.

David Cameron's BBC Question Time Performance Described The Same Way By Most Tories
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/04 ... _hp_ref=uk
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I stuck in my sister's postcode in Hammersmith and this is what VoteSwap says:
Hammersmith

This is not a seat where we would advocate a vote swap
While we expect Labour to win this seat, the party's relatively small majority at the last election means Labour supporters will be reluctant to swap their votes here. We therefore advise Green and Labour supporters to vote according to their preference.

Constituency facts

Last MP: Andy Slaughter, Labour (7.5% majority)
View constituency profile and voting forecast at Democratic Dashboard
View previous election results at UK Polling Report
Read about the candidates at YourNextMP
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:The SNP pretending they don't understand what a minority government would be.
They were a minority government in Holyrood, with the support of... the Tories. :D
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

adam wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Am I right to find this depressing and worrying? I asked several days ago if anyone knew if there was co-ordinated vote swapping / pairing going on ... and didn't get much of a response. Looks as though there may well be.

I saw the Green's PPB the other night - I've often voted for green candidates in the past and have considered joining at some points (and I haven't been a Labour member since the spring of 1991).

Like the SNP bleating 'red tory' the Greens have decided now to tell me that I'm just another tory for considering voting labour because they're just the same.

Go fuck yourself mate.

I respect the drive, intelligence, persistence and views of the Green supporters who we have here, and I don't mean to cause trouble, but I can't begin to see why the Party could think this was a good idea and I'm done with any thought of good feeling for them. All the same my fucking arse.
It is just an attack line at the end of the day.

However I know real Tories and calling me the same as a Tory will result in somebody getting a kicking, so I understand why it annoys the hell out of you.

My issue with it is that it is a big stinking lie.
Release the Guardvarks.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I stuck in my sister's postcode in Hammersmith and this is what VoteSwap says:
Hammersmith

This is not a seat where we would advocate a vote swap
While we expect Labour to win this seat, the party's relatively small majority at the last election means Labour supporters will be reluctant to swap their votes here. We therefore advise Green and Labour supporters to vote according to their preference.

Constituency facts

Last MP: Andy Slaughter, Labour (7.5% majority)
View constituency profile and voting forecast at Democratic Dashboard
View previous election results at UK Polling Report
Read about the candidates at YourNextMP
I put mine in & got:
This is set to be a safe Tory seat. Labour supporters should vote Green here to help stop a Tory government
Labour has little chance of winning this seat. Greens can happily vote Green here and if you are a Labour supporter you should swap your vote with a Green supporter willing to vote Labour in a target seat.
Too late to find this because our household has already voted ;)

I would have difficulty trusting somebody to vote far my preference just as I would expect the same reservations to be had in the reverse & it would be really interesting to see if it works but we will never find out, sadly.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

Hang about, this vote swap thing, didn't it used to be all about Lab/LD swaps a few years ago? And look how that worked out.

There's a whiff of manipulation about this to me, but it's late. A project for yon morrow, reckon.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Feeling pretty low. Nationalism in all it UK forms set to deliver Cameron what he and his ilk want. I'm unable to trust the British people to do the best thing. I'd love to wake up a week from tomorrow with a better Britain, but what I saw tonight doesn't give me hope.