Thursday 30th April 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 30th April 2015

Post by PorFavor »

frightful_oik wrote:
PorFavor wrote:I'm going to utter a profanity.

David Blunkett.
What's he done now? I'm still waiting for Danczuk, Lammy or Abbot to say something stupid in the next few days.
David Blunkett concedes Miliband can't win a majority (Guardian Election Blog)
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

Shocked I tell you, shocked I am! :o
An SNP party veteran and former MP has claimed that another referendum on Scottish independence would be “the first line” of the party’s manifesto in 2016.

Jim Sillars, who was the deputy leader of the party under Alex Salmond, said in an interview with The Telegraph that he could see no way the SNP would not propose a new referendum next year, to take place “when it suits us”.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 14926.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who would have thought?

:D
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

Ipsos Mori Data is now available, Smithson can't see any problems but I can.
Figures based on 750 weighted definitely voting CONS 216 LAB 182 undecided 93
Breakdown Age Group 18-24 CONS lead by 2%
Breakdown Regional Greater London CONS 35% LAB 26%
plus the issues highlighted by Anatoly earlier , again ignore its rubbish
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

rearofthestore wrote:Ipsos Mori Data is now available, Smithson can't see any problems but I can.
Should also say it is a telephone poll
and just spotted this
Matthew Young ‏@matt_young 22m22 minutes ago
@peterjukes Just looked at raw Ipsos Mori data. They're saying there's been a 13.5% swing to Tories among social class DE in last two weeks
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Prominent support for Labour from the actress, Frances Barber:

https://twitter.com/francesbarber13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
yahyah wrote:Looks as if the Murdoch endorsement is a touchy subject for the more vociferous Nats.
Absolutely insane reactions. Ludicrous justifications, outrageous lies about the Labour party & those commenting supporting the Labour party. I'm embarrassed for their posts. It's a couple of commentators who've regularly posted supporting the SNP.
You seem to have ruffled a few feathers over at the Guardian, JA. I found that story about the Labour councillor who accidentally retweeted a polling leaflet that endorsed tactical voting, btw:

http://www.eastlothiancourier.com/news/ ... ry-tweet-/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He resigned because of the error and the ensuing abuse he received on social media. And that appears to be it. I think there would have to be more than one Labour member/campaigner involved to justify the take some SNP supporters appear to have on it. I asked for links, so we'll see. CIF comments certainly make you feel like you're missing something going on in Scotland but then I see interviews with Scottish voters on the TV and they seem the exact same confused, apathetic or tribalist types you get anywhere so I'm not sure anything really strange is going on after all. Those who voted yes in the referendum and a few others are going to vote SNP. They want independence mostly, which to me has absolutely nothing to with Labour really and as a unionist party there is nothing Labour can offer them to change their minds, unfortunately.

Labour have to win rUK. That's all there is to it.

:zen:
I'd no intention of getting into that tangle on the blog. I'd responded to the commentator after they'd claimed all the Labour supporters on the thread were really Tories. As the commentator had posted a long time I thought I could get reason from them by posting truthfully. I was wrong. That commentator has to argue with every Labour supporter through fair means or foul.

A former Labour party campaigner - one - & that's the evidence of the ghastly tactics of the Labour party in Scotland?

I'm letting it go.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

rearofthestore wrote:
rearofthestore wrote:Ipsos Mori Data is now available, Smithson can't see any problems but I can.
Should also say it is a telephone poll
and just spotted this
Matthew Young ‏@matt_young 22m22 minutes ago
@peterjukes Just looked at raw Ipsos Mori data. They're saying there's been a 13.5% swing to Tories among social class DE in last two weeks
There's this too:
@MSmithsonPB · 41m 41 minutes ago
Only 63% of 2010 LAB voters supporting party now according to Ipsos. Other polls have that at 80+
Antony Wells always says, and I paraphrase, that if a single poll looks out of kilter with the general polls, it's usually a rogue. I suggest this is likely to be one of those.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

pk1 wrote:Prominent support for Labour from the actress, Frances Barber:

https://twitter.com/francesbarber13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh crike. She's a ranter about Islam.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Antony Wells always says, and I paraphrase, that if a single poll looks out of kilter with the general polls, it's usually a rogue. I suggest this is likely to be one of those.
I'll go further
They are fixed. Simple as that.
Demoralise Labour voters, and give those toying with smaller parties the opportunity to shrug and say "well they won't win anyway so may as well go - whatever colour."
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Despite his decision not to vote himself, Brand urges the electorate in Brighton to back Lucas on 7 May
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AS blog re donations:
The four political parties that have reported receiving donations over £7,500 are the Conservatives (£1,083,479), Labour (£1,530,000), the Liberal Democrats (£75,000) and Ukip (£1,500,000).
No SNP donations over £7.5k again ??

According to the Electoral Commission, the SNP has not received a single penny in donations this calendar year !

http://search.electoralcommission.org.u ... tPoll=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That strikes me as very strange indeed, particularly considering how successful they are at everything else at present....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
...the gap between rich and poor continues to widen. Men in Blackpool can currently expect to live to just 75.2 years, the lowest life expectancy in the country, while those in the City of London – where life expectancy is highest – live an average of 83.4 years. The longest life expectancy for women is also in the City, at 87.3 years. Kensington and Chelsea, the richest borough in London, is close behind.

Based on the latest data available for England and Wales, from 2012, the study shows that the eight-year gap in men’s lifespan between more and less affluent districts yawns as large as the gap between England and Wales as a whole and Sri Lanka or Vietnam, say the researchers from Imperial College London. The seven-year gap for women is as large as that between the UK and Malaysia or Nicaragua.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... l-research" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hey, way to go, you bastard Tories. You want five more years of what? No, thank you.

Doesn't worry them. Less pension and health care to pay out on.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

I haven't gone a long way back into her twitter feed and sure, I saw some about Islam but nowhere near enough to say she was 'ranting' about it.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

I confess to resorting to Wiki to find out who she is. I'm still none the wiser other than that she's an actress.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

pk1 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

I haven't gone a long way back into her twitter feed and sure, I saw some about Islam but nowhere near enough to say she was 'ranting' about it.
She was pretty bad when I saw her. It was said she might have been tired and emotional.

Excellent actress though.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

And that all passed Smithson by? :smack:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

frightful_oik wrote:I confess to resorting to Wiki to find out who she is. I'm still none the wiser other than that she's an actress.
Ditto. Confess to thinking, who???
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

FT says it wants another Tory/Lib Dem coalition
We are stuffed, I know I know "but they would wouldn't they".
But all these coming out for torys is just too depressing.
And Brand calling it for the Greens (well telling people to vote for CL, but may as well just have said Greens)
I'm off
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Slippery Sturgeon “The Sun is a paper which a different editorial policy in Scotland. I welcome their support.''

OMG is she going to regret that.
The Sun is like a vicious dog that just can't help but bite. If she doesn't live up to what she's promised re: reining Ed in, blah, blah, blah, she is going to get such a mauling.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

https://twitter.com/George_Osborne?lang=en-gb

Georgie Porgies going heavy on the promises. bribes.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

frightful_oik wrote:I confess to resorting to Wiki to find out who she is. I'm still none the wiser other than that she's an actress.
Madame Kovarian (the freaky lady with the eyepatch) in Matt Smith's second Doctor Who series, and a stalwart of the RSC; as Tubby says, good actress, always value for money. But, as others have pointed out, she can be a little ....erm ..... feisty on Twitter.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Frances Barber played a waspish, gin & fag soaked posh barrister in Silk, along with Maxine Peake.

Peake is an ex communist party member, one of those who hates Labour, so probably on the 'hope not fear' anyone but Labour bandwagon.
Last edited by yahyah on Thu 30 Apr, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

AngryAsWell wrote:FT says it wants another Tory/Lib Dem coalition
We are stuffed, I know I know "but they would wouldn't they".
But all these coming out for torys is just too depressing.
And Brand calling it for the Greens (well telling people to vote for CL, but may as well just have said Greens)
I'm off

I'm coming with you.
& what is it with the Lucas adoration ?
She's just another politician, as gobby as the rest and as likely to tell big fibs as we've seen.
Tbh, I wouldn't lose any sleep if she gets the boot, and it would piss her ranty husband off as his gravy train would be ended.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I thought Liberal Conspiracy had closed down ? Just checked the date and it is 2015, not 2010.
Always liked Sunny Hundal.

Two big reasons a Tory-Lib Dem coalition is unlikely after this election
http://liberalconspiracy.org/2015/04/30 ... -election/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I love Frances Barber.

She was Danny Boyle's partner for a while; her best mate is Ian McKellen, she's won an Olivier, and she has sung with the Pet Shop Boys. I think she's fab - in person, she's very very actressy, dahling. She's been out with some of my favourite actors and I am jealous.

She has taken on the cybernats (and how) and she has written to the papers about Claire Robertson's abuse of Harry Leslie Smith. She's a left-wing, feminist, stroppy, gay pride and Labour supporting whirlwind who takes no prisoners, and I think she is absolutely wonderful.

So there.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I really do love Sunny.

'How the left got duped by the SNP on austerity, but will ignore it anyway'
http://liberalconspiracy.org/2015/04/20 ... it-anyway/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I thought the rightwing press were worried about Anti-Semitism?

Tackling it is in the Labour Manifesto. Where's the approval?
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Tried to point out some home truths to some nats earlier, less said the better. A woman came on saying she had written a long post then deleted it, because she couldn't face the negativity. A 'no' labour voter. It was she said, as unpopular as being a Tory. She implied she could say a lot more. She sounded bloody frustrated about not feeling she could speak her mind. I had been as well.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I can now make an announcement - David Cameron has won tonight's QT leaders debate.

Having donned his specilly tailored (to obscure the pasty/beer/bingo gut) Jermyn Street shirt with the sewn-in rolled up sleeves (prepared in case his batman forgets to roll them up), and mixed with the hoi polloi very passionately (whilst ensconced on a lectern just in case the plebs forget he is more important then they are), Our Glorious Ronsealed Fishpointer General is now being sterilised and put into his Savile Row carapace.

Lynton has already provided the answers to all the questions and Our Glorious etc. has delivered them, passionately, all over the country he loves; as a result, the nation that Scotland and Labour plan to break up has heard the truth and there is nothing more to be said. This means that he is far too busy and important doing serious stuff and making tough choices to attend this evening's silly little show for the little people.

A meeting has been arranged by Our Glorious etc. which he will naturally be the chairman of and which he identified as a necessary thing to do in these very difficult circumstances; as yet, security services have prevented Number Ten from informing the public of the nature of this threat to our national security. However, you may all rest assured that Our Glorious etc. (who is still Prime Minister, by the way, actually) will chair this very necessary meeting with his passion and determination to keep us safe from whatever it is he's having a COBRA meeting about. Actually.

Now that we know the result of the debate that's happening later, we must ensure that we watch the news on any other channel so that we do not miss Our Glorious etc. wearing his Savile Row carapace, a determined and very serious expression with thinned lips and plenty of superglue, as he will appear before us on his lectern in front of Number Ten (where he still lives, by the way, being our Prime minister) and tell us that his good friend Barack agrees with him that this is no time for complacency and we must all prepare ourselves for whatever it is.

Meanwhile, as we wait with bated breath to be informed once again that Our Glorious etc. is taking care of our country because he is still our Prime Minister actually, we could pass the time reading a splendid article in the Torygraph by Ms. Julia Hartley-Brewer, in which she rightly points out that Ed Miliband has become a monster because he has lots of fans and is confident and is believing his own hype.

So don't bother tuning in to the debates. OGRFG has already won.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

seeingclearly wrote:Tried to point out some home truths to some nats earlier, less said the better. A woman came on saying she had written a long post then deleted it, because she couldn't face the negativity. A 'no' labour voter. It was she said, as unpopular as being a Tory. She implied she could say a lot more. She sounded bloody frustrated about not feeling she could speak her mind. I had been as well.
I emailed the Guardian a week ago and asked for my account to be closed because I find myself indulging in trying to tackle the eejits. Not worth the effort, they are brainwashed.

So far though, the Guardian haven't closed my user account. Am not managing to be self discliplined in the mean time.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Aftingmoreve all – and welcome to Primecut and NickyinNorfolk! Do get yourselves settled in and, if you fancy toddling down to the Kitchen, today's special is Cranberry Calamari Tartlets with Brandy & Absinthe Butter piping. If @ErnstRemarx happens to be looking in, I think we're onto a winner with this recipé, mate :dance:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ephemerid wrote:I can now make an announcement - David Cameron has won tonight's QT leaders debate.

Having donned his specilly tailored (to obscure the pasty/beer/bingo gut) Jermyn Street shirt with the sewn-in rolled up sleeves (prepared in case his batman forgets to roll them up), and mixed with the hoi polloi very passionately (whilst ensconced on a lectern just in case the plebs forget he is more important then they are), Our Glorious Ronsealed Fishpointer General is now being sterilised and put into his Savile Row carapace.

Lynton has already provided the answers to all the questions and Our Glorious etc. has delivered them, passionately, all over the country he loves; as a result, the nation that Scotland and Labour plan to break up has heard the truth and there is nothing more to be said. This means that he is far too busy and important doing serious stuff and making tough choices to attend this evening's silly little show for the little people.

A meeting has been arranged by Our Glorious etc. which he will naturally be the chairman of and which he identified as a necessary thing to do in these very difficult circumstances; as yet, security services have prevented Number Ten from informing the public of the nature of this threat to our national security. However, you may all rest assured that Our Glorious etc. (who is still Prime Minister, by the way, actually) will chair this very necessary meeting with his passion and determination to keep us safe from whatever it is he's having a COBRA meeting about. Actually.

Now that we know the result of the debate that's happening later, we must ensure that we watch the news on any other channel so that we do not miss Our Glorious etc. wearing his Savile Row carapace, a determined and very serious expression with thinned lips and plenty of superglue, as he will appear before us on his lectern in front of Number Ten (where he still lives, by the way, being our Prime minister) and tell us that his good friend Barack agrees with him that this is no time for complacency and we must all prepare ourselves for whatever it is.

Meanwhile, as we wait with bated breath to be informed once again that Our Glorious etc. is taking care of our country because he is still our Prime Minister actually, we could pass the time reading a splendid article in the Torygraph by Ms. Julia Hartley-Brewer, in which she rightly points out that Ed Miliband has become a monster because he has lots of fans and is confident and is believing his own hype.

Dear Ms Ephie,

How would you like to work for The Sun ?

You display the sort of talent we so need, the ability to write copy about things long before they actually happen.

In recognition of your fine work, I'd like to offer you a pre-employment gift.
Please find enclosed Andy Coulson's two line pamphlet Ethics in Journalism, I hope you find it illuminating.

Yours sincerely
Rupert Murdoch.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 7m7 minutes ago
LAB at 2% lead with Panelbase. LAB 34% (NC), CON 32% (+1%), UKIP 17% (NC), LD 8% (+1), GRN 4% (NC)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Natalie Rowe ‏@RealNatalieRowe 6 mins6 minutes ago

The thing is #Osborne did MORE THAN SNORT COCAINE! #NatsBook

Oooo-er :shock:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:
ephemerid wrote:I can now make an announcement - David Cameron has won tonight's QT leaders debate.

Dear Ms Ephie,

How would you like to work for The Sun ?

You display the sort of talent we so need, the ability to write copy about things long before they actually happen.

In recognition of your fine work, I'd like to offer you a pre-employment gift.
Please find enclosed Andy Coulson's two line pamphlet Ethics in Journalism, I hope you find it illuminating.

Yours sincerely
Rupert Murdoch.

Brilliant :lol: :lol: :lol:
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

yahyah wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 7m7 minutes ago
LAB at 2% lead with Panelbase. LAB 34% (NC), CON 32% (+1%), UKIP 17% (NC), LD 8% (+1), GRN 4% (NC)
Hurrah!
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mark Ferguson @Markfergusonuk · 18m 18 minutes ago
Presumably George Osborne will spend this evening trying to tell the spin room that Nicola Sturgeon won, even though she won’t be there
Working on the wild side.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Have been out in the garden this afternoon so forgive me if we've had this posted.

''Labour pledges to boost supply of truly affordable homes
Emma Reynolds says Labour would make definition of affordable homes more realistic and work to stop developers getting out of having to build them''

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... able-homes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Some great testimony from our Watford correspondent Tizme yesterday evening.

Some clear evidence of something that I've been droning on about and which the Westminster lot are largely ignoring, namely the influence of local elections on the way the General plays out. This is probably because there are no local elections in London, so the MSM haven't even noticed!

From Wiki Tizme reported that some people in Watford are planning to vote Green in the locals and Labour tactically in the General. Surely this could be widespread behaviour that the polls will struggle to pick up. Presumably, Cameron could also benefit from similar behaviour around the UKIP vote, but has anyone even thought about it?
We've got no local elections in Wales either so this wouldn't apply here. However ... and I know I bang on about this ... we have had just about nil involvement by the Greens in local elections and that's something I really regret and - tbh - slightly resent in terms of this election. I'd really like them to start building a record of public service from the ground here. Too many of our candidates this year seem to have just popped up for this election alone and we probably won't hear or see anything from them once it's over.
We've had no communication at all from the Greens, only a week to go.
Maybe they are saving the planet, not wasting paper.
I haven't had anything from the Green Party, yet, but I know they've been leafletting elsewhere in the borough – there are three Constituencies here. They're offering their window-posters as downloads, though: https://www.greenparty.org.uk/posters.html
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Michael Crick @MichaelLCrick · 24m 24 minutes ago
Liberal Democrats say they have a letter showing the 2012 Cabinet Paper on possible welfare cuts, including CB, shows it was initiated by PM
Bit more confirmation of the Wintour tweet earlier ....

Whose pants are on fire?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Michael Crick @MichaelLCrick · 3h 3 hours ago
Tks to @liberalhistory these are spells since 1900 when PM didn't have most votes & seats: 1905-06; 1910-22; 1929-35; 1940-41; 1951-55; 1974

Michael Crick @MichaelLCrick · 3h 3 hours ago
Sorry, I should have added 1924 Labour government to that list if PMs who didn't lead parties with most seat & most votes
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Liberal Democrats say they have a letter showing the 2012 Cabinet Paper on possible welfare cuts, including CB, shows it was initiated by PM

Whose pants are on fire?

Have the Lib Dems been clever and held the letter back, after letting the Tories go into denial mode ?
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Whose pants are on fire?

Have the Lib Dems been clever and held the letter back, after letting the Tories go into denial mode ?
First time for everything.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Russell Brand endorses the Greens.

I guess he's become significant again, now that he's not endorsed Labour.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I heard an item on Radio 4 today about a new website collecting and displaying CVs from prospective parliamentary candidates ... on the premise that we, us public, should be able to see the backgrounds and suitability of people applying for a job we support them into, or not.

I've just found it. Here's the link http://cv.democracyclub.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't wait to see if Ian Dungcan Smith has posted his up ... somehow I bet not. Can't see Cameron or Osborne thinking they should do so either.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Russell Brand endorses the Greens.

I guess he's become significant again, now that he's not endorsed Labour.

I was feeling a little more sympathetic to him yesterday, back to thinking he's a low talent, over paid wally. ;)
Last edited by yahyah on Thu 30 Apr, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32538789" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The BBC contacted the UK Statistics Authority (UKSA), the independent watchdog that monitors how official statistics are produced and released, and asked them to look into it. The head of assessment at the UKSA has now responded.
First of all, the authority noted that - in an example the BBC provided of the way the numbers were being used - Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt had not quoted the most recent statistics available.
On 15 April he tweeted a graph showing the NHS spent only 5.9% of its budget on private providers, when in fact the figure had already been revised upwards to 6.1%.
In the current political environment, talking about small changes in numbers, a difference of 0.2 percentage points could be considered significant.
Looking at the way the statistics were released, the UKSA describes the Department of Health's approach as "unsatisfactory", owing to "the significance that we attach to the principle of equal access to statistics and underlying analysis".
Roughly translated- he's a liar.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32538789" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The BBC contacted the UK Statistics Authority (UKSA), the independent watchdog that monitors how official statistics are produced and released, and asked them to look into it. The head of assessment at the UKSA has now responded.
First of all, the authority noted that - in an example the BBC provided of the way the numbers were being used - Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt had not quoted the most recent statistics available.
On 15 April he tweeted a graph showing the NHS spent only 5.9% of its budget on private providers, when in fact the figure had already been revised upwards to 6.1%.
In the current political environment, talking about small changes in numbers, a difference of 0.2 percentage points could be considered significant.
Looking at the way the statistics were released, the UKSA describes the Department of Health's approach as "unsatisfactory", owing to "the significance that we attach to the principle of equal access to statistics and underlying analysis".
Roughly translated- he's a liar.

of course somebody as highly paid as Kirsty Wark couldn't be expected to challenge Hunt's figures.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

utopiandreams wrote:@rebeccariots2

Since you've thanked me for my bit of nonsense earlier can you answer me something please as I'm a little concerned for my sanity. I've just got in from seeing my eldest and gave him the account of my daily tale but he had no idea where I was coming from today having never heard the expression of giving or offering someone a balloon on a stick. I've since discovered that Google and Bing are not my friends. I haven't made it up, have I? The expression that is, obviously I have my tale.

Btw he's suggested people must be dying for the election to be over so I stop coming up with such nonsense.
Try "wanting the moon on a stick" but getting that tangled up with David Niven's autobiography, The Moon's A Balloon ;)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... on+a+stick

Edit to add: ...and I see I was (half) beaten to it...
Last edited by LadyCentauria on Thu 30 Apr, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

For yahyah -

Dear Ms.Brookes,

As the editor of the Super Soaraway Sun (as soon as Uncle Rupe can arrange it) I am very very pleased indeed to be able to write to you (cc.A.Coulson,Esq,. Political Editor) in order to express my happiness that you are back in the saddle. (LOL)

DaveAndSam.C. will be having a lot more country suppers at their Notting Hill home (once the renting plebs have been moved on) and will be available for equestrian fun as soon as the police and courts have sorted out a few hacks for you. (Geddit???)

As you know, I have been attempting to inform readers of other newspapers and blogs that their media have been without accurate incisive
leadership while you've been away, but they will be led astray no longer! Comments are sacred and facts are free (well, what's a few hundred thousand between friends?) and I am so pleased to welcome you back to sort it all out.

My loyalty will, naturally, be rewarded at some point; but a small annual stipend in the half-a-mill ballpark should keep me happily typing away on your behalf on this keyboard while I keep an eye on the other ones I've managed to secrete behind the skirting boards.

I am sure you will be grateful for my continued support. So gizza job. Or I might just invite Plod for a nice cup of tea on the day the skirting gets removed because I am sure there's a mouse behind it causing no end of damage (Geddit?)

Lots of Love, (or LOL as Dave would say),

Jezza.