Thursday 30th April 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
danesclose
Whip

Re: Thursday 30th April 2015

Post by danesclose »

Has this been posted yet?
"Hope Not Hate" is organising a "Twitter Thunderclap" next Tuesday,when they will send an anti-UKIP tweet.
Details here if anyone's interested:

https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/25704-notvotingukip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

LadyCentauria wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:@rebeccariots2

Since you've thanked me for my bit of nonsense earlier can you answer me something please as I'm a little concerned for my sanity. I've just got in from seeing my eldest and gave him the account of my daily tale but he had no idea where I was coming from today having never heard the expression of giving or offering someone a balloon on a stick. I've since discovered that Google and Bing are not my friends. I haven't made it up, have I? The expression that is, obviously I have my tale.

Btw he's suggested people must be dying for the election to be over so I stop coming up with such nonsense.
Try "wanting the moon on a stick" but getting that tangled up with David Niven's autobiography, The Moon's A Balloon ;)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... on+a+stick
David Niven. That name still makes me shudder.

I've mentioned before that I used to work at Harrods, for about 4 years I worked in the book department and, not long after I started there, Niven came in to do a promotional signing session for Go Slowly, Come Back Quickly. These sorts of events were held quite frequently but this one was obviously a Big Thing.

We set everything up in the normal way, ensured that there was a plentiful supply of pens and that all the items requested by his publisher were available; the request for a plentiful supply of hand wipes should have rung alarm bells!! If anybody touched him, even brushed him lightly by accident, everything ground to a halt as he went into a cleaning routine that even Howard Hughes would have found excessive. He died just a year or so later and, with hindsight, he was obviously not a well man, physically or spiritually, on that day.

We had some lovely events over the years, and got to know some of the authors quite well; Kenneth Williams was a complicated man but utterly charming, Roald Dahl defined the word curmudgeon but opened up when he was talking to the kids (I had a lovely chat with him in the end) and I ended up on first name terms with Michael Palin. But then you had the difficult ones; Niven, the appalling Raine Spencer and, the worst one of all, Douglas Bader who was a first class arse!

Happy days!! :rofl:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Well, file this one under "no shit Sherlock" but even so ......

http://www.channel4.com/news/cameron-da ... servatives" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would be nice if somebody asked OGRFG about this on QT tonight, but I'm guessing that is a touch unlikely. :D
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Natalie Rowe ‏@RealNatalieRowe · 4m4 minutes ago
OK FOLKS! THIS IS THE FRONT COVER OF MY NEW BOOK! OUT IN A FEW DAYS. HOPE YOU LIKE !!! pic.twitter.com/U4fnRHnV2L
:whip: :line:
Attachments
CD280CrWIAAliuQ.jpg
CD280CrWIAAliuQ.jpg (217.03 KiB) Viewed 9158 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Joe Churcher ‏@JoeChurcher 4m4 minutes ago
Labour general election candidate for Wellingborough - Richard Garvie - suspended by Labour after being convicted of fraud.

What sort of seat is Wellingborough ... please tell me it isn't one Labour could / should win?
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I love Natalie Rowe.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

My dad met Douglas Bader.

Hated him as soon as he opened his mouth.

Bader wanted restoration of the death penalty, described unions as "the rabble", thought that apartheid was OK and supportred the Smith regime in what used to be Rhodesia, and had ambitions to be Prime Minister. He said once that he would stop all immigration if he was successful.

He wasn't - he failed to win on the only occasion he stood for Parliament.

He did some exceptional things, no question - but he wasn't a nice man and certainly not the man portrayed in the Kenneth More film.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/polit ... ck-5611087" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
SNP candidate economically confused
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

My dad met Douglas Bader.

Bader wanted restoration of the death penalty, described unions as "the rabble", thought that apartheid was OK and supportred the Smith regime in what used to be Rhodesia, and had ambitions to be Prime Minister. He said once that he would stop all immigration if he was successful.

He did some exceptional things, no question - but he wasn't a nice man and certainly not the man portrayed in the Kenneth More film.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:Joe Churcher ‏@JoeChurcher 4m4 minutes ago
Labour general election candidate for Wellingborough - Richard Garvie - suspended by Labour after being convicted of fraud.

What sort of seat is Wellingborough ... please tell me it isn't one Labour could / should win?
It is the loathsome Peter Bone's constituency, another prime example of a turd in a blue rosette; he took it from Labour in 2005 but boundary changes pushed a lot of rural areas into the constituency so Garvie was unlikely to make a dent to be honest.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

It is the loathsome Peter Bone's constituency, another prime example of a turd in a blue rosette; he took it from Labour in 2005 but boundary changes pushed a lot of rural areas into the constituency so Garvie was unlikely to make a dent to be honest.
Phew - thanks for that.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ephemerid wrote:My dad met Douglas Bader.

Your dad sounds like a sound judge of character. And, yes, Lewis Gilbert and Kenneth More flattered the man.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

Phew - thanks for that.
No problem. I guess Wellingborough is most famous for the school, establishment to the core although it has produced one or two interesting people; Andrew Loog Oldham, who used to manage the Rolling Stones, is an old Wellingburian as is Richard Coles, ex-Communard and now priest at nearby Finedon. Richard, who is a diamond geezer, is really the exception that proves the rule as they don't like "that sort of thing" over much in that part of Northamptonshire. It should be prime Kipper country, except Bone is nastier than any Kipper could ever hope to be.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ah, this is why he was asking people for instances of SNP MPs and MSPs who have rebelled.
Iain Martin ‏@iainmartin1 1m1 minute ago
The SNP is much more control-freakish than New Labour ever was. (My latest for @CapX) http://www.capx.co/why-are-snp-elected- ... ly-craven/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kerry McCarthy ‏@KerryMP 7m7 minutes ago
At @lushbristol animal welfare hustings at @cafekinobristol. Just sampled one of @mightyfoodfight's vegan donuts - very good!

Kerry McCarthy ‏@KerryMP 6m6 minutes ago
Rather disappointing that Libs and Ukip have pulled out, and Tories wouldn't put anyone up, so it's just me, @MrGreenGus and an Independent.
The Tories wouldn't have anything decent to say about animal welfare ... nor would rather a lot of Liberal Democrats ... so not surprised.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Cameron: Some families were getting seventy, eighty, even ninety-thousand pounds Housing Benefit just for one house...

I don't think that's ever been proven. He's challenged on how many families this applied to and responds "well it wasn't a huge number."
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

How's everyone's blood pressure?

Mine is being kept under control by retreating away from the TV every few minutes - and also the audience members who clearly aren't being taken in by hamface and his histrionics.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Personally I can't really cope with this much longer. The British insistence on doffing its collective cap to whichever thief or egomaniac is the darling of the press at a given time is starting to undermine my legendary bonne humeur.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Isabel Oakeshott ‏@IsabelOakeshott 5m5 minutes ago
DC will not be taking his jacket off in front of any cameras. He's sweating heavily. V pink #bbcqt
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ed Balls ‏@edballsmp 2m2 minutes ago
When David Cameron says he doesn't "want" to cut child benefit, he's not ruling out cutting it. He'll cut it again, like he did last time.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul johnson ‏@paul__johnson 3m3 minutes ago
Benefits. Bedroom tax. Food banks. Why not debate Miliband. NHS. Accused of lying. Cameron must be pining for Paxman
#bbcqt
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 6m6 minutes ago
Cameron's ducking on where £12bn of welfare cuts will fall pushes him into the negative - Sun's Twitter Worm; http://www.sunnation.co.uk/what-will-tw ... me-debate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:How's everyone's blood pressure?

Mine is being kept under control by retreating away from the TV every few minutes - and also the audience members who clearly aren't being taken in by hamface and his histrionics.
I lasted about fifteen seconds!
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 2m2 minutes ago
In last election Cameron's strongest debate performance was his last. At the moment he's on course to repeat the trick.
FFS.

And this isn't a debate. That's the whole point. It's just Cameron choosing to answer what he wants to ... which isn't much.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Hateful man.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 2m2 minutes ago
Audience member asks Cameron to engage with "moral dimension" rather than merely economic one. Many Tories have said same. #bbcqt
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I've just tried again with the sound down. It's even worse because you see the audience smiling and think they're agreeing with him...Ten seconds....
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

This is Cable's former economic advisor.
Giles Wilkes ‏@Gilesyb 4m4 minutes ago Wandsworth, London
Let me tell you, being a Twitter user right now who follows @ToryTreasury is like being trapped with your very worst ever taxi driver.

Giles Wilkes ‏@Gilesyb 3m3 minutes ago Wandsworth, London
Who keeps changing the radio channel to different right wing shock jock channels, violently agreeing all the time.

It is psychic pain
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.sunnation.co.uk/what-will-tw ... me-debate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
am just watching twitter worm with no sound (scroll down a bit)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 2m2 minutes ago
In last election Cameron's strongest debate performance was his last. At the moment he's on course to repeat the trick.
FFS.

And this isn't a debate. That's the whole point. It's just Cameron choosing to answer what he wants to ... which isn't much.
Aye he'll be pumped up and letting it rip :lol:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 20.31.54.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 20.31.54.png (127.56 KiB) Viewed 9057 times
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 7m7 minutes ago
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

They seem to have had 3 tory questioners in a row, all asking about borrowing too much.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I've had to turn it off...Felt a scream coming on.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I think we have to accept the fact that unselfish Brits are in the minority.

That's a shame.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

i am listening to tonight's Q&A a little behind the broadcast and am infuriated with Cameron equating it to a debate when it is a series of questions that are never fully and frankly answered, just like the PMQs he alludes to as debates. I shall wait for the transcript should one be forthcoming and refute nearly everything that he says. What convinced me was his bringing up Ivan yet again. Well I have a disabled child from birth too Mr. Cameron and although she is still alive I'm also a widower after years of my wife's disability, finally paralysis, and could say some things that hold you to account too.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 7m7 minutes ago
It is sad how irrational hatred can make people lose all sense of self awareness. Dan is a joke, he is being used by the Telegraph and he is unemployable after next Friday .... and still he thinks his opinion carries weight. :wall:
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 7m7 minutes ago
DFH's latest Telegraph piece is a blinder - apparently Cameron is going to waltz into Downing Street, based on a current 2% lead in the polls, which is actually 3 or 4%, the collapse in UKIP (another couple of % Tory lead) and undecided all voting Tory. Hey Presto - Tory overall majority.
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Jesus what hope do we have with the press, the BBC, the whole of the establishment desperate to keep Ed out. It sickens me.

Sorry to be a downer. Will go and prepare cup of tea.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

tinyclanger2 wrote:Jesus what hope do we have with the press, the BBC, the whole of the establishment desperate to keep Ed out. It sickens me.

They won't be in the polling booths next Thursday!!! :fight:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I think I'm going to have an early night take a book to bed and cool off. There are even Tories crowing on Twitter...See you guys tomorrow.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Jesus what hope do we have with the press, the BBC, the whole of the establishment desperate to keep Ed out. It sickens me.

I don't think they could have found a more hostile audience if they had advertised for one.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

AND AM BLOODY SICK OF ALL THOSE RP ACCENTS ON THE BB BLASTED C
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Very tough questioning of Ed Miliband. He didn't take the easy blustering way out ... stuck to his principles. That's good in my book.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I think that people on here are getting depressed unnecessarily. Ed Miliband is doing very well and is impressive. There are bound to be some stroppy members of the audience. David Cameron by no means charmed the pants off everybody.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Watching on catchup. Just seen the Byrne note. Twat.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PorFavor wrote:I think that people on here are getting depressed unnecessarily. Ed Miliband is doing very well and is impressive. There are bound to be some stroppy members of the audience. David Cameron by no means charmed the pants off everybody.
I'm in late and missed Cameron, did he get a hard time? Twitter seems to think he was great ?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

StephenDolan wrote:Watching on catchup. Just seen the Byrne note. Twat.
Have you had Ivan yet? :sick:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

refitman wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:Watching on catchup. Just seen the Byrne note. Twat.
Have you had Ivan yet? :sick:
Just said it. :sick: :sick: :sick:

He's sweating like a pig!
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

AngryAsWell wrote:
PorFavor wrote:I think that people on here are getting depressed unnecessarily. Ed Miliband is doing very well and is impressive. There are bound to be some stroppy members of the audience. David Cameron by no means charmed the pants off everybody.
I'm in late and missed Cameron, did he get a hard time? Twitter seems to think he was great ?
Why do you think they were bringing over those Republican kids? :lol:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Nick Clegg - the most votes and the most seats. Which? David Dimbleby should have pinned him down on this.