Monday 15th September 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Re: Monday 15th September 2014

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Apparently Cameron gave a decent speech in Aberdeen, writing this goes down like a cup of sick, but credit where it's due..

Right, got that out of my system.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Aberdeen used to be their best city in Scotland.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Apparently Cameron gave a decent speech in Aberdeen, writing this goes down like a cup of sick, but credit where it's due..

AndrewSparrow ‏@AndrewSparrow 17s
Cameron's #indyref speech - My snap verdict - Rarely have I heard a PM sound so powerless - http://www.theguardian.com/politics/sco ... 1640d600f8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Apparently Cameron gave a decent speech in Aberdeen, writing this goes down like a cup of sick, but credit where it's due..

I heard the speech. He delivered it in a rather peculiar, strangled (emoting?) voice interspersed with passages delivered in his "strong statesman" voice. The content was ok-ish, I suppose, given the reason for giving the speech but my intense dislike of the man is too great for me to have been impressed - although I am trying to be impartial in my opinion of the speech, as a speech. If you follow my drift.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

PorFavor wrote:

I heard the speech. He delivered it in a rather peculiar, strangled (emoting?) voice interspersed with passages delivered in his "strong statesman" voice. The content was ok-ish, I suppose, given the reason for giving the speech but my intense dislike of the man is too great for me to have been impressed - although I am trying to be impartial in my opinion of the speech, as a speech. If you follow my drift.
I follow your drift entirely, I didn't watch it, I am only going by what I have read, but with anything concerning Cameron I suppose you must remember he can be an actor at times, a D-lister, but actor all the same.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

a vote that could associate his premiership with the destruction of a 307-year-old union.
I can see an HM Bateman-stylee cartoon being drawn especially in Cameron's honour for Saturday morning's papers.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

40% of Plaid Cymru supporters would vote against independence, handy nationalists!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
yahyah wrote:Mods might want to delete this.

A post in Feature & Analysis about Lingerie & Panties and it's all in Russian.

http://flythenest.org/viewtopic.php?f=8 ... 2797#p2797" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've told them we FTNers don't wear knickers.
:D :D :D
And I use a hoist and pulleys now instead of a bra... :roll:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Leanne Wood:
If the people of Wales want independence they need to vote for Plaid Cymru so we can start implementing a plan.
No chance.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

As you stand in the stillness of the polling booth, I hope you will ask yourself this.

Will my family and I truly be better off by going it alone?

Will we really be more safe and secure?

Do I really want to turn my back on the rest of Britain, and why is it that so many people across the world are asking: why would Scotland want to do that? Why?
That can't go down well, surely.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

The Guardian has come over all tablety. They've mimicked other 'news' sites and haven't a politics section on the main page. I'm not enjoying the experience.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Off on a tangent here, but if anyone's annoyed at finding a U2 album downloaded on their Apple devices, assuming you have one, here is a removal device, I just did it, and it works, I have enough shit on my phone/ipod with U2 adding to it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29208540" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

. . . . why would Scotland want to do that? Why?
That can't go down well, surely.

Blimey. I must have dozed off for that bit. Sounds like a bit of dialogue from one of those spoof dramas which used to be part of "Round the Horne". Did he keep saying, in throbbing, Betty Marsden-style, "Charles! Oh, Charles!"?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

diGriz wrote:The Guardian has come over all tablety. They've mimicked other 'news' sites and haven't a politics section on the main page. I'm not enjoying the experience.
Find myself going there less and less, not really missing to be honest.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Cybernat on Twitter trying to tell me people at the pro-Union demo in London don't count because they didn't go to Scotland for it.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Amongst everything that is going on, the Tories increase their lead to 48% when it comes to competence on running the economy, and the Labour conference starts next Monday.

With that in mind, it would be good to get back to concentrating on the normal run of things.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Oh yeah, Happy Birthday to Dan, Dan the Refit Man!

(noticed that birthday thingie)
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Amongst everything that is going on, the Tories increase their lead to 48% when it comes to competence on running the economy, and the Labour conference starts next Monday.

With that in mind, it would be good to get back to concentrating on the normal run of things.
The timing of the conference is bad. If Scotland do vote Yes then that's all that will be reported for the next week and if the Labour conference is mentioned it'll be about how Labour are going to lose loads of MPs and "will never win an election ever again!!!" as the more hyperbolic will repeat over and over.

The only plus side will be that the Tories will have a couple of weeks to tear themselves apart over it.

Frankly I doubt we'll have 'normal' back until after the next election at least.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Spacedone wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Amongst everything that is going on, the Tories increase their lead to 48% when it comes to competence on running the economy, and the Labour conference starts next Monday.

The timing of the conference is bad. If Scotland do vote Yes then that's all that will be reported for the next week and if the Labour conference is mentioned it'll be about how Labour are going to lose loads of MPs and "will never win an election ever again!!!" as the more hyperbolic will repeat over and over.

The only plus side will be that the Tories will have a couple of weeks to tear themselves apart over it.

Frankly I doubt we'll have 'normal' back until after the next election at least.
Yes, depending on how things are when we wake up on Friday morning, if indeed you do, next week we could be uncharted waters, Tories are snapping at the leash as it is, Labour, with the loss of 40+ seats and polls tightening, Christ knows.. Glasgow vote should be out at 5am, think I will be up for that?
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

I've just figured out who the other "usually sensible Guardian poster who has gone a bit off the rails over Scottish independence" is after popping into the latest Guardian article and reading some remarkably silly posts from them.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Spacedone wrote:I've just figured out who the other "usually sensible Guardian poster who has gone a bit off the rails over Scottish independence" is after popping into the latest Guardian article and reading some remarkably silly posts from them.
Which latest one is that, there's a threat to the NHS from a No vote bollocking bollocks up now?
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
Spacedone wrote:I've just figured out who the other "usually sensible Guardian poster who has gone a bit off the rails over Scottish independence" is after popping into the latest Guardian article and reading some remarkably silly posts from them.
Which latest one is that, there's a threat to the NHS from a No vote bollocking bollocks up now?
The 63% of English and Welsh voters are against a currency union article, which strangely the Guardian have decided to phrase as English and Welsh voters denying Scotland the pound as punishment for independence.

Quite a few posters BTL objecting to inflammatory language used in the article/headline.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/s ... ses-labour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bit more on rail. The locus classicus for horrendous fare rises is Brighton this time- though think it's been relatively unscathed before because it has two competing routes to London.

Even with Balls exempting investment from spending limits, there's not much room for manoeuvre here. The fare rises do fund investment.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Oh yeah, Happy Birthday to Dan, Dan the Refit Man!

Seconded!

Happy Bday!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

And from me!
Happy Birthday, thanks for all you do here (and thanks to all the mods)
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

I expect the "usually sensible Guardian poster who has gone a bit off the rails over Scottish independence" won't like this piece by Johanna Baxter in Labour List, possibly because his own posts today are much the sort of thing she is talking about.

http://labourlist.org/2014/09/the-natio ... -scotland/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

AngryAsWell wrote:

And from me!
And me. Did anybody bring cales? :dance:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:I expect the "usually sensible Guardian poster who has gone a bit off the rails over Scottish independence" won't like this piece by Johanna Baxter in Labour List, possibly because his own posts today are much the sort of thing she is talking about.

http://labourlist.org/2014/09/the-natio ... -scotland/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wee Eck would describe the intimidation Baxter writes about as ''passionate debate'' he made much the same point on C4 news earlier, 99.99% have been gracious and good natured in their campaigning.. Yeah.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Twitter account of The Scottish Broadcasting Service. Quite a good piss-take.

https://twitter.com/SBS_Guidelines" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:I expect the "usually sensible Guardian poster who has gone a bit off the rails over Scottish independence" won't like this piece by Johanna Baxter in Labour List, possibly because his own posts today are much the sort of thing she is talking about.

Wee Eck would describe the intimidation Baxter writes about as ''passionate debate'' he made much the same point on C4 news earlier, 99.99% have been gracious and good natured in their campaigning.. Yeah.
Good manners prevents me from expressing my opinion about that. :D
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone.

Cake:
Attachments
2014-09-15 21.07.04.jpg
2014-09-15 21.07.04.jpg (214.04 KiB) Viewed 15229 times
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Happy Birthday Refitman,lovely cake.

According to an Andrew Sparrow tweet,N Dorries states that she doesn't actually think the Government wastes money allowing the Scottish to eat deep fried Mars Bars,she was just articulating view of people that do.Well that's alright then.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

And from me!
Roger might have given it is a city of historical importance in the south of Italy :twisted:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: And from me!
Roger might have given it is a city of historical importance in the south of Italy :twisted:
I blame my typo on exhaustion and extreme hunger brought on by lack of cake. :D
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Liz McInnes selected for Heywood & Middleton.

Look how quick this one has been, my seats selection has been going on for months..
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Spacedone wrote:

I think it's hard to underestimate the significance of a Yes vote, if it happens. I suspect nobody but nobody understands the true ramifications.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: And me. Did anybody bring cales? :dance:
I blame my typo on exhaustion and extreme hunger brought on by lack of cake. :D
:lol:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Liz McInnes selected for Heywood & Middleton.

Look how quick this one has been, my seats selection has been going on for months..
On the face of it looks like a good choice. Reasonably local and good credentials on Health.

Ernst will no doubt put me right later ;-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

P.S. TBF the by-election is on 9 October so they couldn't hang around!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Well that was inevitable I guess - clearly wasn't going to remain on its own for long given what's happened.

Exclusive: Kings Science Academy to join Bradford’s Dixons academy chain

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/mai ... -1-6842349
THE KINGS Science Academy is to join another academy chain in Bradford, it emerged tonight.

The scandal-hit free school will become part of the Dixons group at the beginning of next year.

Parent were told of the news in a letter today.

Governors at Kings had asked the Department for Education (DfE) to find a new sponsor following the dismissal of its original principal and founder Sajid Raza. The school has been at the centre of a financial scandal for almost a year after it emerged that a DfE audit investigation alleged that the school had submitted fabricated invoices to claim public money in 2011.
I guess there'll be a deafening silence from the New Schools Network who pride themselves on their:
SUPPORT FOR OPEN SCHOOLS
and Mr Alan Lewis ex-chair of governors/ definitely not ex-chair of governors (delete as applicable) and Tory vice-chairman.
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Mon 15 Sep, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

RogerOThornhill wrote:Well that was inevitable I guess - clearly wasn't ging to remain on its own for long given what's happened.

Exclusive: Kings Science Academy to join Bradford’s Dixons academy chain

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/mai ... -1-6842349
THE KINGS Science Academy is to join another academy chain in Bradford, it emerged tonight.

The scandal-hit free school will become part of the Dixons group at the beginning of next year.

Parent were told of the news in a letter today.

Governors at Kings had asked the Department for Education (DfE) to find a new sponsor following the dismissal of its original principal and founder Sajid Raza. The school has been at the centre of a financial scandal for almost a year after it emerged that a DfE audit investigation alleged that the school had submitted fabricated invoices to claim public money in 2011.
I guess there'll be a deafening silence from the New Schools Network who pride themselves on their:
SUPPORT FOR OPEN SCHOOLS
and Mr Alan Lewis ex-chair of governors/ definitely not ex-chair of governors (delete as applicable) and Tory vice-chairman.
Which of "parent were" is the typo? ;-)
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:P.S. TBF the by-election is on 9 October so they couldn't hang around!
Yes, it just goes to show it can be done.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:P.S. TBF the by-election is on 9 October so they couldn't hang around!
Yes, it just goes to show it can be done.
Fair point.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

On the face of it looks like a good choice. Reasonably local and good credentials on Health.

She's a union rep for Unite, so expect some "Unite pull the strings of Labour" guff during campaign.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB · 2m
If anybody's interested tonight's YouGov/Sun poll
CON 31
LAB 35
LD 7
UKIP 15
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 3m
If anybody's interested tonight's YouGov/Sun poll
CON 31
LAB 35
LD 7
UKIP 15
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SNAP!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AngryAsWell wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

She's a union rep for Unite, so expect some "Unite pull the strings of Labour" guff during campaign.
Excellent.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Something I knew but hadn't checked on the proportion, is that the New Schools network don't help every Free School which I guess is obvious as some like ARK will know precisely what to do without needing to pay the NSN for their 'assistance'.

This from the latest set of accounts:

..........Schools....NSN help

But then you get the claims which apply to all Free Schools not just the ones they've helped. That's basically dishonest. Apparently as a charity they're beyond the reach of FOI so we can't find out which is which.

I quite fancy doing a NSN-bashing post...there was an interesting "related party" comment on the last set of accounts qhich sounded very defensive to me - a "how could anyone possible think this?" - I'll keep you in suspense...

Edit - and including schools that converted from fee-paying independent is dishonest too.
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Mon 15 Sep, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

The SBS twitter feed is epic.

I love the concept of introducing people with descriptive labels, like patriot or traitor.
Release the Guardvarks.