Friday 1st May

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 1st May

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:Has anyone, in the light of the Guardian's coming out for Labour, ventured to look at any of the posts below the line (eg on the Election Blog)? I suppose I really should lino my girders and have a mooch about there myself, if I want to know how it's gone down.
Just called my builder for a quote on that. His advice "don't go there".
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Oh - and I've just heard that Bella (new dog) chewed up Mr Riots book that he only bought yesterday and was already well immersed in. I suspect that was the final straw. Sellotape and allowing himself not to worry about missing a bit of the plot (what's new?) will fix it for now. But we've not had a chewing dog before. (Mr Riots has also just owned up that she chewed up a door mat yesterday - which he had hidden away from me ...). Last week she scared us by managing to find and ruin a bar of dark chocolate - don't think she ate much, thank goodness, but the mess was something else. Still - at least I know where Mr Riots keeps his stash of dark chocolate now - under his pillow apparently.
Working on the wild side.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Labour support was underestimated by a couple of points in the final polls pre-2010 GE. Just saying.......
I think Tory support was slightly over-estimated pre-2010 as well. Not significant with one party so far ahead of another, the polls were accurate enough to tell the story. This time, however, simple normal margin of error on otherwise solid poling could be enough to turn the story upside down.

Not to mention how far out polling on the Libdem surge was last time. It suggests to me that SNP polling could be as much as 10 percentage points out, even with the best will in the world and I'm not getting a "best will in the world" vibe off of any of the Scottish polls. I'm a little surprised there hasn't been more downplaying of what we can read into the Scottish polls given the lack of historical data to evaluate them by.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Oh - and I've just heard that Bella (new dog) chewed up Mr Riots book that he only bought yesterday and was already well immersed in. I suspect that was the final straw. Sellotape and allowing himself not to worry about missing a bit of the plot (what's new?) will fix it for now. But we've not had a chewing dog before. (Mr Riots has also just owned up that she chewed up a door mat yesterday - which he had hidden away from me ...). Last week she scared us by managing to find and ruin a bar of dark chocolate - don't think she ate much, thank goodness, but the mess was something else. Still - at least I know where Mr Riots keeps his stash of dark chocolate now - under his pillow apparently.
Chewing dogs - urgh, that teleported me back to a young black Lab we fostered. I went off to work as usual & couldn't believe my eyes when I got home. Inca had attacked a whole bag of Gypsum plaster so everything was covered in a thick white dust, including her !

I was so pleased when she found a forever home & I can laugh about it now but at the time, I was just about driven demented ;)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

RobertSnozers wrote:Some interesting tweets from Mike Smithson. Apparently Populus has *today* changed its methodology to reallocate all don't-knows to their 2010 party. They used to reallocate 50% of Tory/Lab and 30% LibDem.

On the previous methodology, Labour would have a small lead. On the new one, the Tories have a small lead.

I honestly don't know what's going on.
Sounds stinky whatever is going on. Why change it a week before an election ?
Allocating don't knows to 2010 is what ICM do isn't it ?

Maybe PM Ed should announce and inquiry into polling organisations and how they go about things.
Seems odd that most of the poll problems/oddities recently seem to be not in Labour's favour.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Remarkably sullen tweet by Ashcroft:
@LordAshcroft · 2m 2 minutes ago
Waiting now for the BBC to formally endorse Labour....
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

There is no doubt from my viewpoint things changed at the Groan once it was known that the :evil: one was moving on.

Even Crace has been worth a read since then ;-)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

pk1 wrote:Remarkably sullen tweet by Ashcroft:
Does he watch/listen to the same BBC as we do ?

It has really lifted my spirits to know that we now have two papers backing Labour.
No disrespect to the Mirror but it is a tabloid.

Any guesses for the Indie ?
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Oh - and I've just heard that Bella (new dog) chewed up Mr Riots book that he only bought yesterday and was already well immersed in. I suspect that was the final straw. Sellotape and allowing himself not to worry about missing a bit of the plot (what's new?) will fix it for now. But we've not had a chewing dog before. (Mr Riots has also just owned up that she chewed up a door mat yesterday - which he had hidden away from me ...). Last week she scared us by managing to find and ruin a bar of dark chocolate - don't think she ate much, thank goodness, but the mess was something else. Still - at least I know where Mr Riots keeps his stash of dark chocolate now - under his pillow apparently.
I have been researching anti chew sprays,will need some when I buy a new sofa and armchair.looked on amazon,some have very good reviews.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

SpinningHugo wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:It was obvious the Graun was going to back Labour, and has been for years.
All those snide Wintour and Watt articles about "weird Ed", the complete output of John Harris for five years, the constant use of that bloody bacon sandwich picture and the "In Praise of .... yet another flipping Tory" were just a ruse to throw us off balance then? Well, succeeded with me. ;)
I think Harris (another one I know) probably would vote Labour if he didn't live in Frome (a Con-Lib marginal). He is and was part of the problem. Part of the Compass group wibbling on incomprehensibly and moaning about the limits on political power to achieve the Nirvana they want but cannot describe.

(I am pretty sure NOBODY has been more critical of John Harris than me.)
Pretty sure you are wrong about that, unless you regularly use the word tosser to describe him.

Crace by the way has recently got a shed load better.
Release the Guardvarks.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

yahyah wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:Some interesting tweets from Mike Smithson. Apparently Populus has *today* changed its methodology to reallocate all don't-knows to their 2010 party. They used to reallocate 50% of Tory/Lab and 30% LibDem.

On the previous methodology, Labour would have a small lead. On the new one, the Tories have a small lead.

Sounds stinky whatever is going on. Why change it a week before an election ?
Allocating don't knows to 2010 is what ICM do isn't it ?

Maybe PM Ed should announce and inquiry into polling organisations and how they go about things.
Seems odd that most of the poll problems/oddities recently seem to be not in Labour's favour.
A guy from, I think it was the Times, said on the BBC's election show the other night that he would be in favour of polling during election campaigns being banned completely. It took me by surprise a little, but I would have to agree. I think the same rationale that has led to the publication of exit polls being banned until after the polling stations have been closed so they can't be used to influence voting behaviour, may also apply to opinion polls. We'll find out after the election just how much integrity and credibility the various pollsters have been willing to sacrifice in pursuit of the dark art of manipulation.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sullen and way off the mark.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Above, odd time delayed double post, which I can't delete because it thinks it has replies. Most odd.
Release the Guardvarks.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The Tory "lead" is actually about 0.2% and the headline figure is a 33-33 tie.

(Labour would be about 1% ahead on the previous calculations)

I agree it is a bit odd to introduce a methodology change a week before the GE - also notable that 80% or more of these changes work against Labour.

Which may or may not tie into my comment above......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Telegraph reckons Miliband "almost insulted our intelligence"
I could have believed that of the Mail or Sun, tinyclanger2. Then again reading below the line over there suggests they may be right, the prerequisite being that they have some.

Edit: I see RoT beat me to it, albeit much more succinctly put.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Fri 01 May, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Rebecca wrote:
I have been researching anti chew sprays,will need some when I buy a new sofa and armchair.looked on amazon,some have very good reviews.
Our pup chews everything and anything. Current favourites include radiator valves, skirting boards and
carpet.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

His Lordship clearly never watched their post-"debate" coverage last night, then :roll: :lol:
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

Post by onebuttonmonkey »

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:It was obvious the Graun was going to back Labour, and has been for a few months
Corrected ;)
AK, I don't think that is true. As soon as the Lib Dems went into coalition the tone of the Graun changed.

You know as well as me that there are lots and lots of stupid people writing for the Graun who dislike the compromises government brought and wanted a leftie alternative. The kind of fool who is now toying with the Greens and is going to give the SNP 45+ seats. The Lib Dems going into government with the Tories and voting to up tuition fees caused these protest vote morons to reassess. The ones who were not complete idiots went Labour. That was in 2010. It hasn't changed since.

Yes the Graun has published stories that are ani-Miliband, but it isn't the Labour house journal. I published news, and it is the case that what may be politely described as the lack of unequivocal support for the leader was newsworthy. Watts and Wintour may have no love for Miliband but this was not coming from the ether.

Finklestein made a good (and I think true) point about newspaper endorsements on Newsnight last night. Papers endorse what they think their readers want them to endorse. it isn't the case that they try to lead the readership, they are led by them. The Graun's readership wants it to endorse Labour.

Good.
What this post tells me about isn't the newspaper - it's your absolute intolerance of a Labour that is different from your preference, of one where people would rather New Labour had made different compromises. It isn't stupidity that drives wanting something better - it's the fact that the compromises only ever went one way.
Last edited by onebuttonmonkey on Fri 01 May, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

StephenDolan wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
Our pup chews everything and anything. Current favourites include radiator valves, skirting boards and
carpet.
Dear .....y (whoever), that sounds almost as bad as termites / devouring ants. Are you insured for chewing dog damage on your house insurance?
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

yahyah wrote:

It has really lifted my spirits to know that we now have two papers backing Labour.

Doubt the Indy will endorse any of them.

Will the Observer come out for Labour too ?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Followed no doubt by Harpers and Queen,
& then Jane's Defence Weekly,
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

pk1 wrote:
yahyah wrote:

Doubt the Indy will endorse any of them.

Will the Observer come out for Labour too ?

For some reason I thought the Indy had endorsed the Lib Dems in 2010.
Of course, if it did it couldn't call itself The Independent.
Was being slow as usual.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspaper_ ... tion,_2010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Some have described the Graun's endorsement of Labour as grudging, but tbf it is a lot less so than the New Statesman's - Cowley really is a total disgrace.

See their cover the other week, too - all the party leaders shown in relatively positive mode save for Ed; THAT F***ING BACON SANDWICH AGAIN FFS! They did print a letter the following issue pointing that out - I have a suspicion they recieved quite a few more :twisted:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
Rebecca wrote: I have been researching anti chew sprays,will need some when I buy a new sofa and armchair.looked on amazon,some have very good reviews.
carpet.
Dear .....y (whoever), that sounds almost as bad as termites / devouring ants. Are you insured for chewing dog damage on your house insurance?
I'm not sure tbh. We figure once he grows out of it damage can be assessed and replaced. Assuming Remy grows out of it!

Changing polling methodology so close to an election, bit whiffy IMHO. Narrative establishing in action.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

yahyah wrote:

And does he have no understanding of the BBC's Charter? They can't formally endorse any political party and, in attempting (in broad strokes, mostly) to be 'impartial' get accused by 'both' sides of being 'pro' the other.

I'm really glad that the Guardian has officially come out for Labour (however grudgingly) and that the Mirror has, too – although that was almost a given. The Independent's choice will be interesting. Any other papers as yet undeclared? I'm guessing that the Telegraph and the Daily Mail are going for the Tories and the Express for UKIP; so does that just leave the Star and the Observer? I think we can be fairly sure that the Morning Star will support Labour, can we?
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

ephemerid wrote:... and hope he enjoys his well-deserved rest on Jersey which he is king of.
I'm not sure I like the sound of that, ephe. He spends his time sitting on the throne in Jersey? I'd heard he had piles there.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

onebuttonmonkey wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: Corrected ;)
AK, I don't think that is true. As soon as the Lib Dems went into coalition the tone of the Graun changed.

You know as well as me that there are lots and lots of stupid people writing for the Graun who dislike the compromises government brought and wanted a leftie alternative. The kind of fool who is now toying with the Greens and is going to give the SNP 45+ seats. The Lib Dems going into government with the Tories and voting to up tuition fees caused these protest vote morons to reassess. The ones who were not complete idiots went Labour. That was in 2010. It hasn't changed since.

Yes the Graun has published stories that are ani-Miliband, but it isn't the Labour house journal. I published news, and it is the case that what may be politely described as the lack of unequivocal support for the leader was newsworthy. Watts and Wintour may have no love for Miliband but this was not coming from the ether.

Finklestein made a good (and I think true) point about newspaper endorsements on Newsnight last night. Papers endorse what they think their readers want them to endorse. it isn't the case that they try to lead the readership, they are led by them. The Graun's readership wants it to endorse Labour.

Good.
What this post tells me about isn't the newspaper - it's your absolute intolerance of a Labour that is different from your preference, of one where people would rather New Labour had made different compromises. It isn't stupidity that drives wanting something better - it's the fact that the compromises only ever went one way.
That is what always happens with governments of the left (or indeed the right). There are always those shouting betrayal, and that too much was compromised, especially after defeat. Happened in 2010, 1979, and 1970. Indeed if you go back to 1951 Bevan was saying much the same about the Attlee government.

The same will be true after Tory defeat next week. The Janet Daleys and similar loons will attribute defeat to not having been Tory enough.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Linda Green, the lady from Leeds who asked Cameron about the Bedroom Tax (U-OP) on last night's QT 'Debate', has just given a great interview on the BBC News channel. She was asked good questions, given room to answer, and the presenter (forgotten his name) said, "I strongly suspect I'll be talking to you again in the future. Thank you." And he said it with a smile :D

I salute her, yet again :clap: :rock:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

So the Independent did do an endorsement in 2010 ?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

StephenDolan wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
carpet.
Hmm, you can't exactly put those out of reach, can you? Although that's what I'd recommend for most other things that could get chewed, especially precious things. I've usually found that teaching a new dog how to play with a small number of purposely-designed chewy dog-toys helps a lot; along with constant vigilance and distraction techniques as you would for toddlers or crawling babes.

Good luck to you both – and a hug for Mr Riots :hug: :zen:
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

Post by onebuttonmonkey »

SpinningHugo wrote:
onebuttonmonkey wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: AK, I don't think that is true. As soon as the Lib Dems went into coalition the tone of the Graun changed.

Good.
That is what always happens with governments of the left (or indeed the right). There are always those shouting betrayal, and that too much was compromised, especially after defeat. Happened in 2010, 1979, and 1970. Indeed if you go back to 1951 Bevan was saying much the same about the Attlee government.

The same will be true after Tory defeat next week. The Janet Daleys and similar loons will attribute defeat to not having been Tory enough.
It's the way you label anyone who wanted a different set of compromises stupid and suggested they refused to accept any compromise that got me.

I agreed with your OP about "a better politics"; your smearing of non New Labourites less so; it's time the party faced up to the consequences of leaving so many behind on its left rather than blaming those it abandoned for not compromising...
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

yahyah wrote:Image

Think they recommended an anti-tory vote, not a specific 'we endorse xxx'
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Of the "anti-Tory tactical voting" variety, apparently.

Quite a few expected the Graun to do similarly and coming straight out for the LibDems surprised (as well as shocked) many.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Hopefully this will get some use next Friday :wink:

http://downfall.jfedor.org/create/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

pk1 wrote:

Think they recommended an anti-tory vote, not a specific 'we endorse xxx'

Hope they recommend anti-Tory and anti-Lib (unless a Tory would win) this time !
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

LadyCentauria wrote:Linda Green, the lady from Leeds who asked Cameron about the Bedroom Tax (U-OP) on last night's QT 'Debate', has just given a great interview on the BBC News channel. She was asked good questions, given room to answer, and the presenter (forgotten his name) said, "I strongly suspect I'll be talking to you again in the future. Thank you." And he said it with a smile :D

Simon McCoy is the newsreader. I quite like him. His comments when the subject of the forthcoming royal birth comes up are great. Nothing too overt (ie I don't think he'll get fired) but yesterday (?), for example, he said hollowly "I just can't wait," when the subject arose.

Edited to make sense
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

PorFavor wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:Linda Green, the lady from Leeds who asked Cameron about the Bedroom Tax (U-OP) on last night's QT 'Debate', has just given a great interview on the BBC News channel. She was asked good questions, given room to answer, and the presenter (forgotten his name) said, "I strongly suspect I'll be talking to you again in the future. Thank you." And he said it with a smile :D

Simon McCoy is the newsreader. I quite like him. His comments when the subject of the forthcoming royal birth are great. Nothing too overt (ie I don't think he'll get fired) but yesterday (?), for example, he said hollowly "I just can't wait," when the subject arose.
Thanks, PF! I quite like him, too. Just that every time I've looked up, or over, at the telly to check his name I've missed it, yet, when there's someone on I do know, their name is almost glued into the lower-third...
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

StephenDolan wrote:Hopefully this will get some use next Friday :wink:

http://downfall.jfedor.org/create/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah some Derby fans did one after we thrashed our sworn enemies from Notts Forest 5-0.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWM19EKdJv4Brilliant! :clap:

eta It's a bit sweary and nsfw.
Last edited by frightful_oik on Fri 01 May, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RobertSnozers wrote:I find the position of the SNP on Trident hypocritical - they want Scotland to be part of NATO, which is committed to the nuclear deterrent, they just don't want nukes on their territory, or to have to spend money on them.
To a point but plenty are in NATO without nukes. Surely if, say, Germany got them that would be worse?

Main problem is that they'd be likely spending about what the UK spends in total on Defence anyway as a NATO member.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

From an e-mail just received from Ed Miliband\Labour:

"I will be joined [in Brighton] by a very special guest who will come out and endorse us on Monday."
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Load of marginal polls out at 4.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Ha ha.

Toby Young seems to be getting on for spending £25m on his school.

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2015/ ... gifts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Load of marginal polls out at 4.
http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2015/05/mi ... marginals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Image
Hmm. I can't endorse what's been done there.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

It's her parents' car, sadly.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Final set of pre-election marginal polls from Ashcroft:
Attachments
LA.jpg
LA.jpg (159.96 KiB) Viewed 7549 times
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PorFavor wrote:From an e-mail just received from Ed Miliband\Labour:

"I will be joined [in Brighton] by a very special guest who will come out and endorse us on Monday."
I have RSVP'd & told my dear hubby that he will be taking me :lol:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

May2015 Election ‏@May2015NS 16s16 seconds ago
Final #Ashcroft marginal polls v interesting—gd for both parties. On sum, better for Lab. Tories not streaking ahead…
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Labour Candidate in Norwich North is an uber-Blairite. Wish we could lose her and save another.