Friday 1st May

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Re: Friday 1st May

Post by StephenDolan »

SNP supporters in meltdown if Jim Murphy gets elected.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

StephenDolan wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Load of marginal polls out at 4.
http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2015/05/mi ... marginals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks like Croydon could be going to the wire then. Fingers crossed for Wirral West, would love to see here out on her ear; and I am delighted with the prospect of Stewart Jackson being given the boot.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Croydon Central is disappointing (but not sure I really believe it)

Pudsey and Stourbridge are both winnable on those figures if Labour's ground game is good - Jim Murphy might yet hold on as well?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Croydon Central is disappointing (but not sure I really believe it)

Pudsey and Stourbridge are both winnable on those figures if Labour's ground game is good - Jim Murphy might yet hold on as well?
Stourbridge is probably not winnable. A fairly sensible Tory MP.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Has Ashcroft shown any slim majority Labour seats likely to fall to the Conservatives in marginal polling?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Labour Candidate in Norwich North is an uber-Blairite. Wish we could lose her and save another.
Jessica Asato is the acceptable face of the Progress tendency IMO.

She is also the (now sadly widowed) d-i-l of the one and only David Butler, which should count for something.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Asato wrote to Burnham telling him he was talking silly nonsense about making the NHS preferred provider. Don't trust her at all.

I'm sorry for her personal tragedy, of course.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

Well, Labour either got double my donation or none of it. The site couldn't process it.

Is it busier today? :shock:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Has anyone, in the light of the Guardian's coming out for Labour, ventured to look at any of the posts below the line (eg on the Election Blog)? I suppose I really should lino my girders and have a mooch about there myself, if I want to know how it's gone down.
Nope, not yet.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:Has Ashcroft shown any slim majority Labour seats likely to fall to the Conservatives in marginal polling?
I haven't seen a single one.
I've seen several falling to Labour.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Adam Wagner ‏@AdamWagner1 34m34 minutes ago
Ipso rejects complaints Katie Hopkins’ migrants column was discriminatory - out of scope of Editors’ Code http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/m ... column-sun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Ipso seems just as toothless, gutless and craven as the last press self regulatory system.
Working on the wild side.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

RobertSnozers wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:Has Ashcroft shown any slim majority Labour seats likely to fall to the Conservatives in marginal polling?
I believe he is more or less resigned to not gaining any seats off Labour, or he'd be making a lot more noise. Instead, he's mainly talking about holding onto seats that Labour might take off them and concentrating on seats the Tories might take from the LibDems (his view is that the Tories are doing better at holding onto marginal seats than uniform swing suggests, but the LibDems are doing better at holding onto their seats, restricting the Tories from getting out of jail).
Thanks RS and CJA.
Cameron and his 'only 23 more seats' is sounding more foolish by the day.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

James Tapsfield ‏@JamesTapsfield 3m3 minutes ago
James Tapsfield retweeted Jo Swinson
Hugh Grant and now John Cleese. Lib Dems surely unstoppable in Scotland now
That's mean. :lol:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

There was an Ashcroft poll last year showing Labour and Tories tied in Soton Itchen, but (as he admitted) having it out of student term time possibly skewed the figures. His most recent poll there (in March I think) had Labour clearly ahead.

Other seats mentioned as possible Tory "against the grain" wins include Hampstead/Kilburn (Labour well ahead in an Ashcroft poll last summer but nothing since) and Birmingham Northfield (no surveys I know of, annoyingly) Some Tory fantasists optimists still think they have a chance against Ed Balls, too ;)
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

frightful_oik wrote:bit of fun from Sky News:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyISprZ ... e=youtu.be
:clap: :rofl: :rock:

Sheer genius coming out from their team! Whoever is actually making these for Sky News should be up for an award.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Eric Joyce has been found guilty of assaulting two teenage boys in a London shop last year.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
pk1 wrote:Remarkably sullen tweet by Ashcroft:
@LordAshcroft · 2m 2 minutes ago
Waiting now for the BBC to formally endorse Labour....
Sullen and way off the mark.
Is the man that stupid? The BBC can't endorse any political party, regardless of how it currently reports news & it's certainly not preferential toward Labour. What is Ashcroft's problem?
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Survation/@dailymirror (change vs Apr 23)

LAB 34 (+5)
CON 33 (nc)
UKIP 16 (-2)
LD 9 (-1)
SNP 4 (nc)
GRE 3 (-1)
Last edited by pk1 on Fri 01 May, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
pk1 wrote:Remarkably sullen tweet by Ashcroft:
Sullen and way off the mark.
Is the man that stupid? The BBC can't endorse any political party, regardless of how it currently reports news & it's certainly not preferential toward Labour. What is Ashcroft's problem?
I honestly think he throws in these asides on occasion to show he is still loyal to "the team".
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Sullen and way off the mark.
I honestly think he throws in these asides on occasion to show he is still loyal to "the team".
Stupidity it is then, in my opinion. I don't have the money or resources to belong to Ashcroft's Tory club. Edited to add - I didn't get my heart removed either.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@pk1

I'll be with you in spirit (I wish I could be there in person).
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

LadyCentauria wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:bit of fun from Sky News:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyISprZ ... e=youtu.be
:clap: :rofl: :rock:

Sheer genius coming out from their team! Whoever is actually making these for Sky News should be up for an award.
That is great. Thank you.

(The use of Leanne Wood is utterly epic ... worth it for that alone.)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

pk1 wrote:Survation/@dailymirror (change vs Apr 23)

LAB 34 (+5)
CON 33 (nc)
UKIP 16 (-2)
LD 9 (-1)
SNP 4 (nc)
GRE 3 (-1)
Hurrah!
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

I hope he's wrong about Battersea. It's one of our neighbouring seats, was my home for nearly eight years, and Labour has got one heck of a ground campaign under way, there, with a lot of funding going into it. I'd love to see Will Martindale win the seat.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Adam Wagner ‏@AdamWagner1 34m34 minutes ago
Ipso rejects complaints Katie Hopkins’ migrants column was discriminatory - out of scope of Editors’ Code http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/m ... column-sun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Ipso seems just as toothless, gutless and craven as the last press self regulatory system.
Funny that....
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Teen Selfie with Clegg.jpg
Teen Selfie with Clegg.jpg (55.87 KiB) Viewed 7821 times
Emily Ashton ‏@elashton 20m20 minutes ago
A teen just dropped his jeans in front of Nick Clegg after asking for a selfie http://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyashton/a-t ... nick-clegg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … (Pic: PA)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RobertSnozers wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
StephenDolan wrote: http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2015/05/mi ... marginals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks like Croydon could be going to the wire then. Fingers crossed for Wirral West, would love to see here out on her ear; and I am delighted with the prospect of Stewart Jackson being given the boot.
In East Renfrewshire, Jim Murphy has narrowed the gap from nine points to three since my previous poll earlier this month. This seems largely down to Conservative voters – the Tory share is down five points, and Labour’s up five, since my last survey, and remaining Conservatives are less likely to rule out moving to Labour than in most seats. Nearly a quarter of those who voted Conservative in the constituency in 2010 now say they plan to vote for Jim Murphy.

Unfortunately for the Tories, Labour voters seem unwilling to return the favour in Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale & Tweeddale, where the SNP have extended their lead from two points to eleven. Only 7% of 2010 Labour voters have switched to the Tories, and 82% of current Labour supporters rule out doing so.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I don't particularly care about him winning, but would be hilarious to see him "survive with Tory votes". Which are of course totally different from vacuous "none of the above" voters who are going to the SNP from the Lib Dems.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

PorFavor wrote:From an e-mail just received from Ed Miliband\Labour:

"I will be joined [in Brighton] by a very special guest who will come out and endorse us on Monday."

The suspense is killing me already.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

LadyCentauria wrote:I hope he's wrong about Battersea. It's one of our neighbouring seats, was my home for nearly eight years, and Labour has got one heck of a ground campaign under way, there, with a lot of funding going into it. I'd love to see Will Martindale win the seat.
Battersea is hugely gentrified, probably even in comparison to 2010. Rare London seat probably trending Tory.

Surprised at the margin though.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
pk1 wrote:Eric Joyce has been found guilty of assaulting two teenage boys in a London shop last year.
What?? The trial has only just opened. The prosecution has only just put its case. They can't have a verdict already can they? Did he change his plea?
Nope, just found guilty at Magistrates Court:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-32557123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:It's her parents' car, sadly.

Am I getting too cynical ?
Anyone can buy an aerosol, Tory MP included, particularly one worried about where the lost Lib Dem votes may be going.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

michael ‏@hannahr391956 6 mins6 minutes ago
@Hughesy53

Cath Shuttleworth works for bbc breakfast as an analyst
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:It's her parents' car, sadly.

Am I getting too cynical ?
Anyone can buy an aerosol, Tory MP included, particularly one worried about where the lost Lib Dem votes may be going.
If you're cynical, so am I. It's the first thing I thought looking at her face photographed next to the car.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote:michael ‏@hannahr391956 6 mins6 minutes ago
@Hughesy53

Cath Shuttleworth works for bbc breakfast as an analyst
Might help explain its pro-government bias, then - its business coverage especially is often just straightforward propaganda.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Anne Begg ‏@annebegg 7m7 minutes ago
“@MidWalesMike: Victory for Vox Political: DWP ordered to give details of benefit-related deaths http://wp.me/p4Sru1-32H" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ” Excellent news!
Good ruling.

But bet they still won't disclose them. They will appeal and appeal again, fight to the absolute end, not to release information they don't want to.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

diGriz wrote:Well, Labour either got double my donation or none of it. The site couldn't process it.

Is it busier today? :shock:

We've go to bloody win, the amount of dosh we've stumped up :fight:

Haven't been a Labour member during an election since my long gone yoof.
It is very expensive, and like Cats Protection with little sad kitties, they know how to hook you.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Anne McGuire retweeted
Bradendavy ‏@BradenDavy 15m15 minutes ago
Ashcroft poll in Jim Murphys seat shows 18-25 yr olds clearly rejecting Nationalism!
#Labour 46%
#SNP 29%
#Tory 22%
#Green 2%
#GE15 #GE2015
That rather bears out Anatoly's point earlier. Good stuff.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Peter Jukes @peterjukes · 23m 23 minutes ago
Every reviewer noted the passion and anger of these 'members of the public': I feel completely duped

These Tory dirty tricks are repellent.
As one of the retweets on Jukes' Twitter page points out -'Imagine if these were Lab rather than Tory "undecideds" - press anti-BBC vendetta wd now be in full swing'.

We have got to win next week.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Croydon Central is disappointing (but not sure I really believe it)

Croydon Central is an odd constituency. The north is very urban, lots of terraced houses and small council estates, the south is commuter land built among golf courses and parklands; you can almost draw a line across it, with the north (places like Addiscombe) being fairly solid Labour and the south (Shirley and Fairfield) voting Tory. The wild card is New Addington, a former council estate (and, to be frank, one of the grimmest places I have ever been to) swings all over the place; used to be BNP, probably now a mixture of UKIP, working class Tories and Labour supporters. It all depends what happens to that UKIP vote, if it really is softening as much as Ashcroft says then it looks as though they are drifting to the Tories. But this is definitely, to borrow a phrase one where we shall see .......

Jim Murphy. I'm not the man's greatest fan, but there would be something quite satisfying about seeing him cling on, just to piss off all of those who forecast his downfall. :popcorn:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Protestors At Miliband Glasgow Rally.jpg
Protestors At Miliband Glasgow Rally.jpg (25.6 KiB) Viewed 6463 times
Iain Martin retweeted
Kayleigh Anne ‏@Ceilidhann 16m16 minutes ago
Kayleigh Anne retweeted Alan Roden
Can't imagine why he wouldn't want to do deals with SNP.
When was the last time there was such concerted, overt hassling of candidates / political party at an election? I haven't been aware of this sort of anger since Thatcher ... anyone?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

From the Sparrow Blog:
There’s more to come from the Russell Brand Ed Miliband interview. Here’s the trailer for the video, which is due to be published on Monday.
Wonder if there is any connection with the enigmatic Brighton announcement?

[youtube]D7dtg4o-_-A[/youtube]
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Catherine Shuttleworth is the Director of Get Savvy Marketing Ltd so I doubt very much that she & the BBC Breakfast lady are one & the same.

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/05822 ... ecretaries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let's stick to the facts & not get involved in telling untruths about others, even if they are our political opponents !
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Iain Martin retweeted
When was the last time there was such concerted, overt hassling of candidates / political party at an election? I haven't been aware of this sort of anger since Thatcher ... anyone?
Arthur Miller's the Crucible but without the Claviceps purpurea theory?
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The extremist wing of the SNP (most of it ?) have to push the Red Tory twollop.

It'll be their excuse if their voting out Labour MPs means a Tory government gets in.
''Make's nae difference if we get the Red or Blue Tories'' will be their bull**** response.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

pk1 wrote:Catherine Shuttleworth is the Director of Get Savvy Marketing Ltd so I doubt very much that she & the BBC Breakfast lady are one & the same.

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/05822 ... ecretaries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let's stick to the facts & not get involved in telling untruths about others, even if they are our political opponents !
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:From the Sparrow Blog:
There’s more to come from the Russell Brand Ed Miliband interview. Here’s the trailer for the video, which is due to be published on Monday.
Wonder if there is any connection with the enigmatic Brighton announcement?

[youtube]D7dtg4o-_-A[/youtube]
He's endorsed Caroline Lucas though. But he didn't endorse the Greens as a party so maybe it is him.

Would prefer it were someone a little more credible to be honest.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/robin-l ... 87216.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
Huff Post on the Great Big Tory Scum Lie
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

pk1 wrote:Catherine Shuttleworth is the Director of Get Savvy Marketing Ltd so I doubt very much that she & the BBC Breakfast lady are one & the same.

You may well be right. But some BBC staff have their salaries paid into companies to save paying so much tax ?

May be a set up like that ?

But commend your desire for the truth.
It's easy to go in the wrong direction with these things.
Last edited by yahyah on Fri 01 May, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Iain Martin retweeted
Arthur Miller's the Crucible but without the Claviceps purpurea theory?

You got me there for a moment - had to visit wikipedia (don't worry I wasn't adjusting any biogs of my opponents).
Claviceps purpurea is an ergot fungus that grows on the ears of rye and related cereal and forage plants. Consumption of grains or seeds contaminated with the survival structure of this fungus, the ergot sclerotium, can cause ergotism in humans and other mammals.[1][2] C. purpurea most commonly affects outcrossing species such as rye (its most common host), as well as triticale, wheat and barley. It affects oats only rarely
Do you think it's mass 'ergotism' that's got Scotland going then?