Saturday 2nd, Sunday 3rd & Monday 4th May 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 2nd & Sunday 3rd May 2015

Post by AngryAsWell »

"The Duke and Duchess are determined their children should have as normal a childhood as possible"
"Anmer Hall in Norfolk, where the Duchess of Cambridge is to stay after the birth of her second child"

Oh well at least they are into job creation
"Royal princess: Duke and Duchess set to hire second nanny to help with new princess"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... ncess.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

RobertSnozers wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Good to see that Ed Balls has his priorities right on the last weekend of campaigning...I can just hear him saying "Electioneering? Sod that! I'm off to watch football"

He's a Norwich fan??!?

That's it, I'm voting Green
Quite famously. And he never has any problem remembering which team he supports even though, given Norwich's form some seasons, he possibly wishes he could forget. :-)
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Just back from door knocking in the wind and rain.

Best part was stopping for a drink in the Globe afterwards. I had to have coffee as I was driving back but I'm pleased to report that the Globe's special beer this week is Rebecca Riots - so guess what the others had? We then had a chat about the times that produced the Rebecca Riots (or Rebeca Riots depending on your choice of spelling) and the times we have now with food banks, low pay and no pay work, insecurity, homelessness etc etc.

I'm taking that special beer as a good omen by the way.
Working on the wild side.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Eric_WLothian wrote:... True - there may be a consequential inheritance tax loophole if it ever happened. If it did, then it would be illogical to stop at 3-way marriages though...
I'm not sure I follow your reasoning here, Eric. If there were such loopholes, surely they'd be more open to abuse the more parties that were allowed.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AngryAsWell wrote:"The Duke and Duchess are determined their children should have as normal a childhood as possible"
"Anmer Hall in Norfolk, where the Duchess of Cambridge is to stay after the birth of her second child"

"Royal princess: Duke and Duchess set to hire second nanny to help with new princess"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... ncess.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wonder what she does all day that is more important than looking after her children.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

George Osborne is tweeting about what the Tories would do in their first 100 days in government. A lot of road improvements, it would appear. (Guardian Election Blog, 15.01)
The list of last minute "commitments" is enormous. The "Tweets" outlining them are over at the Guardian site. Even Ramsgate gets a special mention.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Alastair Campbell @campbellclaret · 1h 1 hour ago
Just bumped into @david_cameron at the Boleyn jellied eels shop pre the Claret and Blue battle http://www.kicca.com/campbellclaret/pos ... 3ec2b3c796" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:"The Duke and Duchess are determined their children should have as normal a childhood as possible"

Wonder what she does all day that is more important than looking after her children.

Duchessing.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

utopiandreams wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:... True - there may be a consequential inheritance tax loophole if it ever happened. If it did, then it would be illogical to stop at 3-way marriages though...
I'm not sure I follow your reasoning here, Eric. If there were such loopholes, surely they'd be more open to abuse the more parties that were allowed.
I was just thinking that if three-way partnerships were legal, why not four-, five- six-way. If there were loopholes - and I would expect the tax avoidance experts to find some - then I'd be surprised if they didn't increase exponentially with the number of partners involved.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ronnie O'Sullivan @ronnieo147 · 6m 6 minutes ago
Why I think everyone should vote for Ed Miliband on 7 May

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
I haven't watched it yet.

[youtube]bXWt-hX_DKs[/youtube]
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

ephemerid wrote:I have had a letter from Rt.Hon David Cameron Prime Minister.

Addressed to me personally, using my given name throughout, imploring me to vote Conservative.

It points out that I live in a marginal constituency, and my vote is crucial.

Yes, David, I KNOW. Which is why I'm voting Labour.

If the Tories are sending these out to all registered voters in all marginal constituencies, I wonder what it's costing them?
The registered electorate in Brecon and Radnor is more than 50,000.

Thurrock, currently held by the odious Tory Jackie Doyle-Price with a majority of just 92, has 77,000.

If they're doing this in all marginals, that's costing a serious amount of money. If they're doing it
everywhere, it's utter desperation.
They will be. Do not underestimate the desperation of people who haven't fulfilled the wishes of their backers.

To those who've wondered and asked, I remain on FTN, but I ask your patience whilst my current circumstances work themselves through.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieross/my-na ... rm=4ldqpia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
am dancin'
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote: Reported in the Scotsman:
http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/ed-mili ... -1-3761183

Call me naïve, but I thought the easiest way to get a Labour government was for enough people to vote Labour.
At least I know the answer to my question, would Nicola fold or would she up the ante. Sad, as I thought she was actually brighter than this.
She may well be, but a few days ahead of the GE not upsetting her cult followers is the priority......
Can the cult followers actually vote for her? How many of the loudest voices driving her on actually live in Scotland?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

meanwhile nick clegg looks like he's presenting an episode of 70s tv show "Rainbow"
(see pics on graun blog)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I may have mentioned on here before that Jason Cowley is a complete merchant banker?

Well, his tweet last night takes some beating.......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Well, I know who is winning the battle of celebrity endorsements in my book ... I'll take Ronnie O'Sullivan and Grayson Perry any day over Clarkson and Ms CupCake Apprentice.

And Liam Gallagher calling Ed a 'communist' isn't so awful either IMO - what got his goat, having to pay Mansion Tax?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

PorFavor wrote:
George Osborne is tweeting about what the Tories would do in their first 100 days in government. A lot of road improvements, it would appear. (Guardian Election Blog, 15.01)
The list of last minute "commitments" is enormous. The "Tweets" outlining them are over at the Guardian site. Even Ramsgate gets a special mention.
VSLVSL wished them luck with their commitment to improve Junction 6 of the M27 as, apparently, it was never built!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
Tories are pilfering freebooters. Labour have planned ahead.
What would the first 100 days of a Miliband government look like?
18TH APRIL, 2015

http://labourlist.org/2015/04/what-woul ... look-like/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
VSLVSL wished them luck with their commitment to improve Junction 6 of the M27 as, apparently, it was never built!
True. A very Alice in Wonderland commitment.

Edited to add -

No doubt the Lincoln by-pass will suffer a similar fate . . . .
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Can the cult followers actually vote for her? How many of the loudest voices driving her on actually live in Scotland?
It's somewhat ironic that nobody can vote for the minor-party leader who's getting the most media attention!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I defy anyone to watch those two videos and say Ed is ugly, lacks charisma, or is a nerd, ever again.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Prof Scully has now crunched his numbers on that new Welsh poll.
He emphasises these are not predictions, but 'seat projections I get from applying these formulae to the polling numbers'.

''So, first, the standard voting intention question. Here are the UNS seat projection numbers:

Labour: 28 seats (holding all 26 from 2010, and gaining Cardiff Central and Cardiff North)

Conservatives: 8 seats (losing Cardiff North to Labour, but gaining Brecon & Radnor from the Liberal Democrats)

Plaid Cymru: 3 seats (holding the 3 seats won in 2010)

Liberal Democrats: 1 seat (holding Ceredigion, but losing both Cardiff Central and Brecon & Radnor)

Ratio Swing projections:

Labour: 28 seats (holding all 26 from 2010, and gaining Cardiff Central and Cardiff North)

Conservatives: 8 seats (losing Cardiff North to Labour, but gaining Brecon & Radnor from the Liberal Democrats)
Plaid Cymru: 4 seats (holding the 3 seats won in 2010 and gaining Ceredigion from the Liberal Democrats)
Liberal Democrats: 0 seats

With constituency-specific question, Scully says:

''For Uniform National Swing the projected seat results are identical to that for the generic question, with the two Cardiff seats plus Brecon & Radnor being the only seats to change hands. But when we use Ratio Swing, we get a slightly different outcome:

Labour: 27 seats (gaining Cardiff Central and Cardiff North, but losing Ynys Mon)

Plaid Cymru: 5 seats (holding the 3 seats won in 2010, and gaining Ceredigion from the Liberal Democrats and Ynys Mon from Labour)

Liberal Democrats: 0 seats

http://blogs.cardiff.ac.uk/electionsinwales/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's another poll due on Wednesday, not sure who commmisioned it, probably the ITV one.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Can the cult followers actually vote for her? How many of the loudest voices driving her on actually live in Scotland?
It's somewhat ironic that nobody can vote for the minor-party leader who's getting the most media attention!
Someone's gonna have to enlighten me as to what's so great about Sturgeon (it's not personal I was the same about Clegg).

The story about her getting into the SNP at 15 or whatever it was, is so similar to Salmond's it's a bit sad.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:
I was just thinking that if three-way partnerships were legal, why not four-, five- six-way. If there were loopholes - and I would expect the tax avoidance experts to find some - then I'd be surprised if they didn't increase exponentially with the number of partners involved.
More than one? No thanks... ;)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I may have mentioned on here before that Jason Cowley is a complete merchant banker?

Which was?

Not disputing your sentiment - this is a so-called member of the left who writes anti-Miliband stories for the Daily Mail. I suspect that's why the NS endorsement was only classed as half-hearted.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I may have mentioned on here before that Jason Cowley is a complete merchant banker?

Which tweet ?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Calling for a second election this year with new leaders of the 3 main parties - couldn't *possibly* imagine who he wants Ed to be replaced by, eh?? :toss:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

http://labourlist.org/2015/05/steve-coo ... -nhs-tour/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aha!
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Calling for a second election this year with new leaders of the 3 main parties - couldn't *possibly* imagine who he wants Ed to be replaced by, eh?? :toss:
Aha, this one:
@JasonCowleyNS · 19h 19 hours ago
A second election fought with different leaders seems necessary. Repeal the wretched Fixed-Term Parliaments Act. Check out @May2015NS
He's nothing but a :toss:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Disappointed with the Welsh polling, pretty much as it was, the Cardiff seats were always going to come back to Labour, it will again be red, can't help thinking one or two sneaky ones will come back too.

Or perhaps I am being optimistic?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Must start wearing my newer specs. Was reading through some tweets just now and did a double take over 'It's a GRILL'.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

feather ‏@oohincensed 58 mins58 minutes ago

According to Ipsos Mori, Cameron is viewed as out of touch with the concerns of ordinary people by 65% of voters. more than Thatcher (63%)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Disappointed with the Welsh polling, pretty much as it was, the Cardiff seats were always going to come back to Labour, it will again be red, can't help thinking one or two sneaky ones will come back too.

We and the constituency next door are down as 'too close to call' letsskip - and that's how it feels. One very pleasant woman I was talking to this morning hadn't realised she was living in a marginal. She has now changed her voting intention from Green to Labour as she likes Paul Miller, our candidate, and hadn't realised he actually had a chance of winning.

Editing to add: Her priority is that we don't have another 5 years of Crabb and Cameron. (They sound like an unpleasant brand of soap, don't they?).
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

rebeccariots2 wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Disappointed with the Welsh polling, pretty much as it was, the Cardiff seats were always going to come back to Labour, it will again be red, can't help thinking one or two sneaky ones will come back too.

We and the constituency next door are down as 'too close to call' letsskip - and that's how it feels. One very pleasant woman I was talking to this morning hadn't realised she was living in a marginal. She has now changed her voting intention from Green to Labour as she likes Paul Miller, our candidate, and hadn't realised he actually had a chance of winning.

That's very heartening to hear Rebecca, and it plays to my gut instinct too. In an election like this, so tight, the national polls count for nothing, a poll of 1000 people for instance, how many in your constituency would have been contacted? People like you have more of a feeling of what's happening on the ground, that's why I am a tad sceptical about the Vale as well, huge effort on the ground going on there.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Must start wearing my newer specs. Was reading through some tweets just now and did a double take over 'It's a GRILL'.
They should call the baby George (Foreman).
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Are you getting much sense of Plaid advancing in your area LetsSkip ?

I won't predict the election seats outcome, but will predict that Mark Williams loses here based on things locally.

I did hear a whisper that Labour canvassers were being told a lot of people would vote Labour here, enough to serously affect the outcome, but that's just like voodoo polling.
Last edited by yahyah on Sat 02 May, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Must start wearing my newer specs. Was reading through some tweets just now and did a double take over 'It's a GRILL'.
I think PF can give you some tips on that.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ed Miliband ‏@Ed_Miliband 15m15 minutes ago
I took some time out of the campaign to play pool against Ronnie O’Sullivan. I went easy on him…
Lovely.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Its a poll commissioned by Plaid, so I can't help looking at it a bit sceptically. Let's see what the last regular YouGov survey before polling day brings.......
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

yahyah wrote:Are you getting much sense of Plaid advancing in your area LetsSkip ?

I won't predict the election seats outcome, but will predict that Mark Williams loses here based on things locally.

I did hear a whisper that Labour canvassers were being told a lot of people would vote Labour here, enough to serously affect the outcome, but that's just like voodoo polling.
None whatsoever yahyah, to be truthful it feels very quiet here election wise, there are a few Plaid banners but on the houses where they always are, every election. The Plaid candidate seems a bit of a tool, the usual Green/SNP/Plaid attack from the "left" on Labour. Canvassers are short on the ground too, though I have been in work a lot so I may have missed them, but hardly any bumpf has landed on the doormat, mind the Labour banner may have a bearing on that?

But to go back, it is very quiet here, hardly being a marginal has a lot to do with that admittedly.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Afterevething, all.

Natalie Bennett can be very silly at times. However much some people might like three-in-a-bed, we have these funny things called laws for a reason. She's not very good at thinking things through, is she?
If she attempted to legislate for this, every single piece of legislation pertaining to marriage, children, inheritance, pensions, social security, and various other bits and bobs would have to be repealed and/or amended.

Whatever.

Those of you who Tweet may like to know that there is another Twitterstorm tonight, the last from Jon and Gail before the election.
This time, the hashtag is #VoteCameronOut
I realise that some people think this is a bit silly, and I'm aware it's not likely to change anyone's voting intentions - but the #CameronMustGo thing really really annoyed him.

On the basis that anything that causes even a minor annoyance to Cameron is something that I have to do as a matter of principle, I will be being a Twit from 18.00hrs and hope some of you will join in.

Good to see you, Ernst, however briefly - hope you're OK and sending a hug.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:
Someone's gonna have to enlighten me as to what's so great about Sturgeon (it's not personal I was the same about Clegg).

The story about her getting into the SNP at 15 or whatever it was, is so similar to Salmond's it's a bit sad.
I completely agree- why the Guardian feels the need to promote the SNP is beyond me.

I do not give a toss about the SNP, can't vote for them, genuinely despise everything the SNP represents, and they aren't on 90% of the ballot papers.

Post election the SNP can either support a Labour government or vote against it, I don't care. But if she stops effective government or creates a Tory one, supporters will be pretty angry.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Karl Turner ‏@KarlTurnerMP 7m7 minutes ago
.@GrantShapps?
Grant Shapps or The Grant Shapps.jpg
Grant Shapps or The Grant Shapps.jpg (69.16 KiB) Viewed 10049 times
:?:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Funny how no one mentions Sheffield when it comes to the SNP and celebrating too early.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Are you feeling a bit down Skippy ?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I know exactly what you mean.

I will refuse to be miserable. I have every intention of doing what I can to get Matthew the best vote share possible.
He could do it - it'd take a minor miracle, but it's not impossible.

It ain't over till the returning officer declares the winner.

Even if our boy loses, if we get a better share of the vote than the 10% Labour got here last time, we will have done well.

And if we have a Labour government on Friday, I won't be bothered all that much.

Don't be down-hearted, Letsskip. It's not over yet.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

yahyah wrote:Are you feeling a bit down Skippy ?

Had my moments and doubts the same as everyone I suppose, I was very up for this election, but I have worked a lot, 12 1/2 shifts, too tired to do anything apart from come home, bath and bed, so I have been a lot more detached than I normally would. I said once I judge this as a battle between and good and bad and that hasn't changed. Labour for all it's faults is better than any alternative out there for me. Of course I want them to be more radical, and I believe Ed will be, but unlike others they have a chance of power so they feet always have to be on the ground. The SNP can just shout "Westminster" all the bloody time, as if the scots have only been the ones to be shafted over the years.

Anyway, two night shifts coming up, be on my way soon,.. Onwards and upwards

X
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

If you respond Letskip, I'm not ignoring you, have to log off now.

Sending :hug: to you and anyone else who may be feeling anxious/low about Thursday.

You know what the American base ball player Yogi Berra said, 'It ain't over till it's all over'.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Replies crossed !

Night all.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Replies crossed !

Night all.