Saturday 2nd, Sunday 3rd & Monday 4th May 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Re: Saturday 2nd & Sunday 3rd May 2015

Post by utopiandreams »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:But before I go, I was working with someone yesterday, new to the job, father of three, was working with autistic teenagers in Cardiff, he left when a new private firm took over and dropped the wages to the minimum wage.

He googled the new owners, an accountant and property developer. Now they could be genuine, but somehow I doubt it. Social care packages would be the first thing I would bring back "in house" especially when some care packages are worth 250,000+.
I've said this before and no doubt shall do so again, letsskiptotheleft, but all this outsourcing to what may appear cheaper from a governmental department perspective will likely cost more overall when in-work benefits are included. 'And that says nothing of the working conditions of the staff who actually provide the service.

I hate Tories and their carpet-bagging friends, especially since the Thatcher era can't say I was particularly impressed by Blair either, albeit the better option. As for where my allegiances used to lie, scuppered by the Orange-Bookers.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

frightful_oik wrote:I'd call her Millie. Thoroughly modern name after all. But I agree with those odds; Vote Conservative is a shoe-in.
Millie, that's the name of my second cat, frightful_oik. Bloody difficult thinking up names but the first was called Georgie, being born on St. George's Day. Millie from George and Mildred, not that I was ever a fan, you understand.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:But it's against the rules to discuss what has been tallied, isn't it?
Yes, I believe so. But I also seem to remember some pretty hefty rumours about postal votes being leaked out before the last election here. I'll have to check with others locally to see if my memory is right or not.
I'm sure everything was done lawfully. I'm not just saying that. TE is correct.
Yes, I'm agreeing with you citizen. That's why I'm calling them rumours - because that's what they were, and what I believe this story from Labour Uncut is ... someone says something and it gets amplified and so on.
Working on the wild side.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

MsChin wrote:Good evening.

Postal votes are kept face down during verification, as are those from the ballot boxes. Verification just confirms that none of the ballots have gone astray. There's no way anyone can guess how many have gone to which party at that stage. Next step is to place face up, check ballots are legitimate and chuck into piles/open boxes for each party or spoiled votes. That can help with estimating the outcome but is by no means certain. Then you bundle into 100s or whatever to aid the count, which has to tally to the verified total. Elections processes are probably the most transparent thing any government ever gave us.
Thank you, MsChin. I've not had the pleasure of reading you here before now. Please accept my welcome. I've eaten every sweet thing in the place. I'll be fetching more provisions tomorrow morning.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Isabel Oakeshott retweeted
Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 12m12 minutes ago
"Call me Dave"-the unauthorised biography of David Cameron by myself and @IsabelOakeshott can be pre-ordered here https://www.bitebackpublishing.com/books/call-me-dave" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … …
What a title.
...this is unquestionably the most hotly anticipated political book of the year.
What a title indeed, rebecca. I'm not so sure about the most hotly anticipated bit but am intrigued by his gap-year adventures in Russia although I bet he never picked up the lingo, the lazy sod.
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

The Opinium poll for the Observer which shows CON lead of 1% shows a Labour lead of 1.2% on the unweighted polling data both before and after elimination of don't knows.. Biggish sample size of 1956 with an adjusted size of 1569 but after weighting just 10 votes between CONS and LAB so really a dead heat.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jamie Reed ‏@jreedmp 6m6 minutes ago
As a Labour MP for a decade now - you lucky sods - I'm appearing in a #bbcqt audience nxt week as an 'undecided independent business person'
Sorry. I just enjoy his sense of humour ...
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

Good news
Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB now3 seconds ago
LAB take 3% lead with Survation for MoS
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

rearofthestore wrote:Good news
Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB now3 seconds ago
LAB take 3% lead with Survation for MoS
It is weird how the right wing papers seem to have polls that favour Labour these days ...
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

Even the trend is good
Dr Éoin Clarke ‏@LabourEoin now9 seconds ago
Last 7 polls - 4 have Labour leading. 1 has the Tories 1% ahead.... 2 have both parties level. Latest is Survation to give Labour 3% lead
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

An interesting twist on Survation poll
Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 2m2 minutes ago
LAB 4% ahead with Survation when sample asked to fill in replica ballot forms
CON 28
LAB 32
LD 9.6
UKIP 16.9
GN 6.4
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

On the postal votes thing according to Smithson new measures are in place to make it harder for sampling to take place.

The Brand interview happened before I got my postal vote, although many got theirs earlier. Presumably it was also arranged in advance.

Now 20-25% vote by post, but demographics I have no idea about. However all of that would suggest that maybe 10% of the vote was verified, recorded with dubious accuracy and unknown demographics. So I suspect nobody has a clue, and the story was bogus.

Milibands trip to Scotland would have been made anyway, recent polls suggest Labour could retain some seats it had expected to lose and so a Hail Mary is worth it. Labour also knows it is leading with young people, who if they vote will swing the election, so I suspect the Brand thing was planned in.
Release the Guardvarks.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

utopiandreams wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:I'd call her Millie. Thoroughly modern name after all. But I agree with those odds; Vote Conservative is a shoe-in.
Millie, that's the name of my second cat, frightful_oik. Bloody difficult thinking up names but the first was called Georgie, being born on St. George's Day. Millie from George and Mildred, not that I was ever a fan, you understand.
So what odds do you think I could get on "Frogmella"?

We were talking about this at work today (office full of Daily Mail reading ladies, this was meat & drink for them) and the consensus was that it was likely to be traditional names, Alice, Mary, Victoria, Alexandra that sort of thing.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:

We were talking about this at work today (office full of Daily Mail reading ladies, this was meat & drink for them) and the consensus was that it was likely to be traditional names, Alice, Mary, Victoria, Alexandra that sort of thing.
Heaven only knows about the odds on that GS - but I think you'd be odds on to be persona non grata at the coffee / tea and biscuits sessions with the ladies in the office if you let them know about your dastardly suggestion.
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

Last poll tonight
Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 16s17 seconds ago
YouGov S Times poll
Con 34
Lab 33
Ukip 13
LD 8
GN 5
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
utopiandreams wrote: Millie, that's the name of my second cat, frightful_oik. Bloody difficult thinking up names but the first was called Georgie, being born on St. George's Day. Millie from George and Mildred, not that I was ever a fan, you understand.

Heaven only knows about the odds on that GS - but I think you'd be odds on to be persona non grata at the coffee / tea and biscuits sessions with the ladies in the office if you let them know about your dastardly suggestion.
I think I read somewhere that it's to be Victoria...Fits in with Dave taking us back to her reign nicely.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Britain faces “weeks not days” without an effective government following Thursday’s general election if David Cameron wins the most seats and tries to renew his coalition vows with Nick Clegg, according to senior Tories and Liberal Democrats.

A Tory-Lib Dem coalition Mark Two is seen as one of the most likely results of an extremely close election. But senior MPs from both parties revealed they have deep reservations about such an outcome, and are privately planning to force their leaders into gruelling and protracted negotiations that could last well into the summer.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... l-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Everyone be calm though, okay
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:

Blimey I was a bit slow there, TGS, and have only just cottoned onto frightful_oik's 'Thoroughly modern' reference. Anyway odds, I'm afraid I'm not a betting man although during my uni days I had a mate whose uncle was a professional gambler on the horses. Quite an impressive country pad he had too; he used to give the odd tip to supplement our student grants.

As for office full of Daily Mail reading ladies, I've sometimes been in similar as a freelance computing consultant. Even where they've been the same age as me I think they grew up on a different planet.

Edit: after all that I forgot what I was going to say. It had better not be Margaret, but then why should I care 'cause quite frankly I don't give a damn.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Sat 02 May, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
utopiandreams wrote: Millie, that's the name of my second cat, frightful_oik. Bloody difficult thinking up names but the first was called Georgie, being born on St. George's Day. Millie from George and Mildred, not that I was ever a fan, you understand.

A couple of them quite liked it, the others just didn't understand. :lol:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rearofthestore wrote:Last poll tonight
Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 16s17 seconds ago
YouGov S Times poll
Con 34
Lab 33
Ukip 13
LD 8
GN 5
Still not very good for the Tories.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Survation. ‏@Survation 28 mins28 minutes ago
HEADLINE VI Survation/MoS

LAB 34%; CON 31%; UKIP 17%; LD 8%; SNP 5%; GRE 4%; OTH 1%
Tables: http://survation.com/wp-content/upl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Apologies if this is a repeat...Checked back but couldn't see it...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Oh, for goodness' sake! Please read the article I've linked above for its preposterous qualities. It's like a chapter out of a bad biography. CombOver: Classic Conservative Catastrophic
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Peter Kellner (@YouGov) seat forecast:

#Tories (283)
#Labour (261)
LD (32)
#SNP (50)
OTH (21)
#Greens (1)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The Brand interview was pre arranged as part of TrewsNews election series, the greens - both NB & CL - did interview with him. Indeed he has already said people in Brighton should vote for CL.
Atul Hatwal & his Labour Uncut rag are about as reliable as Guido Fawkes blog when it comes to reporting anything about Labour. It's an anti Labour blog.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:Peter Kellner (@YouGov) seat forecast:

#Tories (283)
#Labour (261)
LD (32)
#SNP (50)
OTH (21)
#Greens (1)
The only realistic option on those numbers is Labour/Lib Dem with tacit SNP support.

Clegg will be gone, Cameron may follow him.

The Lib Dems aren't going to get 32 seats, and if they do I doubt the Tories will make 283.

Lab lose 35 to SNP and have to gain a chunk from Tory/Dems. If the Tories also make big gains from LD to offset many of their losses then the Dems probably rate 20 or less.
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:Oh, for goodness' sake! Please read the article I've linked above for its preposterous qualities. It's like a chapter out of a bad biography. CombOver: Classic Conservative Catastrophic
I've read it and discounted it - it's a puff piece nothing more.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I suppose we should be thanking Kate and Will for taking up the Suns front page tomorrow. One day less of their slanderous rubbish.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

AngryAsWell wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Oh, for goodness' sake! Please read the article I've linked above for its preposterous qualities. It's like a chapter out of a bad biography. CombOver: Classic Conservative Catastrophic
I've read it and discounted it - it's a puff piece nothing more.
I don't think Helm and Boffey are endorsing Ed. :lol:

Mark Steel, however, seems to be edging that way.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 17396.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

citizenJA wrote:... Thank you, MsChin. I've not had the pleasure of reading you here before now...
I have, long before my posting here, something about not knowing who that bloody awful Hopkins woman was and who sprang into our minds. Her first name even escapes me now as I write this.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Peter Smith ‏@Redpeter99 4h4 hours ago

Princess Tracy Linda Maureen of Wales. #RoyalBaby
Shouldn't laugh because she's an innocent baby and had no control who she'd be born to but I couldn't resist this one.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

A bit of light relief, that Boeing 787 story about needing to make sure you switch them off and on again every 247 days or bad stuff happens.

This is the pprune sites take on it.
Please don't leave your 787 powered on for 248 days straight...

New FAA AD:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspect ... -10066.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quote:
This AD was prompted by the determination that a Model 787 airplane that has been powered continuously for 248 days can lose all alternating current (AC) electrical power due to the generator control units (GCUs) simultaneously going into failsafe mode. This condition is caused by a software counter internal to the GCUs that will overflow after 248 days of continuous power.
Integer overflow bugs, small software error, huge consequences.
Release the Guardvarks.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Another endorsement.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/su ... nd-5626595" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The average of today's four polls:
LAB - 33.5%
CON - 33.3%
UKIP - 14.0%
LDEM - 8.0%
GRN - 5.3%
#Tight
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight
love
cJA
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

John Mann ‏@JohnMannMP 34m34 minutes ago
Am hearing that Bassetlaw UKIP forgery scandal is getting worse. Still no comment from UKIP or any apology or candidate resignations.
???
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound 50m50 minutes ago
Senior Tories tell Sunday Times Cameron will declare victory on Friday if he has most votes and seats.

Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound 50m50 minutes ago
Cameron allies say he'll try for a coalition if he falls short but if can't get coalition he'll dare others to vote him down
Call me Cling On.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I took a look at the Sunday Telegraph's endorsement which, ATL and BTL can be summarized as follows:

ST - Vote Tory!
Readers - Bugger off! We're voting UKIP!
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Anthony Wells has posted this on UK Polling Report re the postal votes rumour stuff earlier ... seems to tally with the description of the process I was given earlier on today by someone who has been at these verifications.
http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archi ... 2#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ANTHONY WELLS
Postal votes are opened in advance for verification (that is, not to be counted, but to count the number of papers, check signatures and dates of birth and so on). While they are not put into piles and counted by party, if you watch carefully you can normally keep a tally for each party and so work out the totals. Having attended such verifications myself I’m a bit dubious about how accurate they can be, but I suppose it depends exactly how the counters handle the papers in each council (they do it face down, but things like how they flatten out each paper, how they lift up the corners when counting them and so on matter)
What Atul says about the party organisations is entirely true – each party is allowed observers at the opening of postal votes, and they do indeed often go along and keep a tally of how the votes are going if they can.
In the past most postal vote verification did tend to start in election week itself, but this year some councils have already started verification, so it’s very likely that the party HQs do already have some intelligence from postal vote verifications. Whether it was early enough or concrete enough to have influenced Ed Miliband doing his interview with Russell Brand I find a bit fanciful, but there goes, people are always want to put two and two together and make 5.
Naturally, postal votes are sometimes very skewed towards the Tories because of age (though not always, they can also be very skewed by one party in a constituency having done a much better job at signing up supporters for postal votes!), it doesn’t mean they are useless for party organisations, if they do it in an organised enough fashion they can look at how the postal vote split in a constituency compares to past elections and get an idea of if they are moving up and down.
In short, nothing that Atul has said about how parties use postal vote verifications for intelligence is unreasonable – as far as I know it’s true. Exactly how organised Labour are at getting that information, whether his source is any good, is actually well informed or not, or just talking crap, we can’t tell. It’s also probably illegal for him to have written it, so I expect he’ll take it down at some point.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
John Mann ‏@JohnMannMP 34m34 minutes ago
Am hearing that Bassetlaw UKIP forgery scandal is getting worse. Still no comment from UKIP or any apology or candidate resignations.
???
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015 ... d-32450750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In other news, #VoteCameronOut is still trending 5 hours on, top in the UK and actually #10 worldwide!

And on that happy note I shall bid you all Good Night.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Evening all,

I'm skim reading to catch up so forgive me for not referencing posters and possibly for repeating information;

Postal votes - the pre checking for want of a better phrase is = to verification. In theory you can't 'see' anything. In reality you can see a bit - how much depends on how experienced you are, how sharp your eyes are, plus how experienced the staff doing the 'verification' are. But even if the staff are rubbish and you are very sharp eyed and very experienced, it's still imo of limited use in terms of predicting the overall result for many and varied reasons. The actual verification is worth attending and you can get a good deal of information but the Postal vote 'verifications' are limited in value. I could say more but believe you me, the claim that Miliband's interview with Brand is due to concerns regarding the postal vote is complete and absolute drivel by people who have absolutely no idea how the system works.

Natalie's response regarding a question that was effectively about polyamorous relationships was perfectly reasonable. We don't have a position on it as a political party - as indeed no other party does as far as I know. She was effectively saying that if it was raised within the party, we'd discuss it, consider all the implications, and come to a decision. It's called democracy doncha know?! I guess it might be odd to other parties including Labour, because we do actually have a bottom up approach whereas Labour for instance don't.

Meanwhile here in Watford, Labour were out in the town centre today. We Greens also had an event organised. On my way to our event, Matt Turmaine [Labour candidate] stopped me to talk. It was a genial enough conversation but my god I wish he was more inspiring. The man has no fire in his belly. And please bear in mind, I want to think good of him.

Town centre was mostly a drunken mass thanks to Watford FC being promoted to the premier league. Great stuff obviously. And a thumbs up to the Labour campaign that they were out there whilst my lot didn't seem to realise the opportunity or what the aim was...............
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Thanks for the insight Tizme, always interesting.

Good luck with the rest of the campaign.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Thanks for the insight Tizme, always interesting.

Good luck with the rest of the campaign.
Thanks TE. I know all the candidates here and they all know me. Rich Harrignton maintains it's between him and Matt [Labour]. Matt also thinks it's between him and Rich. The Dotty Mare says it's between her and Rich. I'm finding it harder than ever to judge. It is, there for the taking by Matt but he really isn't up to scratch. But nor is the Dotty Mare. Possibly Rich will win due to the split in the opposition. Which frankly is down to neither of them being good enough. :(
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

hutton in the g wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ry-suffers
Detached from Scotland, the England over which it aims to preside, never-endingly, will be a poisonous, inward-looking and mean-spirited place. It will be welcome only to the super-rich and their insider networks, denying the mass of English citizens the structures and institutions through which they can live the good lives to which they aspire.

The Britain I love – an outward-looking country that is tolerant, good-humoured, fair-minded and generous, and which, with some reforms, could become one of the most dynamic places to live in Europe – will have been expunged.
\

This is what frightens me.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

iannucci in the g wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -inclusive
An inclusive politics looks outward, recognises that it’s our connection with those around us that gives value and strength to our country. It would therefore also look at major reforms of the way this country works: a fairer voting system, an upper house that’s more relevant, the devolving of real power from Westminster to the regions, a lowering of the voting age. These reforms may seem dry and secondary, but they’d have a significant impact on how democracy functions in future elections. It would begin the process of welcoming the disenfranchised back into politics, of giving everyone a chance to see how their voice can be heard, their views have impact.
Are you "listening" Nicola?
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Morning all.

Those of you who are interested in Twitterstorms might like to know that #VoteCameronOut has passed the 100,000 mark.

This is close to the #CameronMustGo figure, which annoyed OGRFG so much. I hope he's annoyed this morning.

Huff Post has an article on it.

I'm aware this doesn't change much, but it's a bit of fun and if only one undecided person thinks twice about what the Tweeters were saying and votes Labour as a result it's worth it.

And it annoys Dodgy Dave. Win-win.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Kudos to the Greens who have set up a food bank outside IDS's house in Swanbourne.

Story in the Mirror.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Just been reading UK Polling Report. A poster there suggests that a further term of Conservative government with the of support any other sell out servatives they can muster will mean the introduction of regional pay and benefits ... which they couldn't do in this term. I think they're right. And I'm betting some of the 12 billion savings in 'welfare' is predicated on that.
I suspect you are right - when you consider that the average rent for a 2-bed in London is now more than £1,500PCM, and its equivalent in Middlesborough is less than a third of that, there is massive scope to fiddle about with regional allowances. The Local Housing Allowance for Inner West London (from Hammersmith to Ealing) for a 2-bed is £1,310PCM; in Middlesborough it's just under £400PCM.

Wages for a newly-qualified nurse are £21,478PA everywhere; Inner London weighting is 15% of salary or thereabouts.
If you are working as a nurse in the North East, your rent will be about a quarter of your take-home pay; in London, it will be about four-fifths of your take-home pay even with the London Weighting included.

Some serious savings could be made if regional pay was brought in for public sector workers - and of course, if that happened, the private sector would allowed to follow. The result of that would be that progressively more people in some areas would need to apply for top-up benefits - and that would be Universal Credit.

I think the axe will fall, to start with, on the out-of work benefits. The Tories have already said they will freeze the basic rates.
Since 2011, the basic rates have risen by 1% PA - a total of 4%. That represents in cash terms £3PW or so for most claimants.
Bit they have lost that because they have to pay Council Tax (in England) and the average is £5PW; plus they have lost again by the increase in VAT, the rise in prices for essential goods, higher rents, and of course the bedroom tax for those subject to it.

Of the 2.5 Million claiming ESA, 1.8 Million are claiming longer than the 12 weeks of Assessment Phase. Of those, a third are in the Support Group. That leaves us with the majority, 1.2 Million, either in the WRAG or waiting for their first WCA.
We know that there are currently about 600,000 waiting for assessments, many of whom will end up in the WRAG.
Some of those will lose ESA if they have claimed ESA or IB a long time due to retrospective time-limiting.
I estimate that there would be at least 500,000 in the WRAG at any given time - the WRAG rate is £25PW more than basic.
That's £1,300PA x 500,000 - £650 Million.They will get rid of the WRAG, in my opinion.

There are all sorts of things they could do - but cut they will, whatever they're saying now.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Kinda predictable but welcome nonetheless from the Observer.

The Observer view on why you should vote Labour

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ote-labour
Yet the political debate struggles to rise to the challenge. Too much of the argument is about the narrow question of the public deficit, vastly exaggerated as an existential threat to the country. Defining our national problem in the language of book-keeping is part of the successful framing of the debate on Conservative terms. The country is invited to back a long-term economic plan and apparent recovery in what increasingly looks like an excuse to continue shrinking the state. It offers much reduced welfare and social provision, and promises never to increase but only decrease taxes.

This, runs the Conservative pitch, is the route to a moral society and the good life alike. Free markets, the profit motive and entrepreneurial effort will do the rest, liberated from the dead hand of government – British and European.

Justice, fairness, looking out for each other, and sharing wealth are to be relegated and at the mercy of the market. As Roosevelt recognised so many years ago, when the market doesn’t work, you fix it. The market needs fixing.
and
Labour does not have all the answers. Far from it. But it is the only party which has correctly identified the task that faces our society. For that reason, it deserves to form the next government.
Indeed so.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Kinda predictable but welcome nonetheless from the Observer.

The Observer view on why you should vote Labour

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ote-labour
Yet the political debate struggles to rise to the challenge. Too much of the argument is about the narrow question of the public deficit, vastly exaggerated as an existential threat to the country.
It only took our media five years to admit this...
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

David Cameron has finally told William and Kate they have no cause for concern as long as he remains Prime Minister. He guaranteed there was no truth in Labour's horrid rumour that their family shall lose any of its benefits should he remain in Downing Street. He wished them the prosperous future that such a deserving, hard-working family as theirs can expect, which is only possible by sticking to the long term economic plan. He also let slip that he deserved credit for two royal births during his term of office, proof positive of his great achievement to rebuild the country.

Edit: changed 'a deserving, hard-working family such as theirs can expect' to 'such a deserving, hard-working family as theirs can expect'.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Sun 03 May, 2015 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.