Saturday 2nd, Sunday 3rd & Monday 4th May 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 2nd, Sunday 3rd & Monday 4th May 2015

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Here she is in the Mirror
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/de ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So she is the celebrity endorsement promised for tomorrow - as it says in the article that she will be on the south coast with Miliband. Very different from - and probably much better than - a Russell Brand endorsement.
Working on the wild side.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:From Smithson.
4m4 minutes ago
Sun Politics ‏@SunPolitics
YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Tories have a one-point lead: CON 34%, LAB 33%, LD 9%, UKIP 12%, GRN 5%
We need that Lib Dem number to go down.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
4m4 minutes ago
Sun Politics ‏@SunPolitics
YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Tories have a one-point lead: CON 34%, LAB 33%, LD 9%, UKIP 12%, GRN 5%
Not necessarily.

Depends where it is, in Tory/Dem marginals it would be ideal.
Release the Guardvarks.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Have the Tories had anyone endorse them?

Katie Hopkins threatening to leave the country if labour win doesn't really count...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Lord Tom retweeted

The Independent ‏@Independent · 7 hrs7 hours ago
Tory activist asked to step down after Labour candidate 'manhandled' questioning Boris Johnson http://ind.pn/1GI6SUX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Have the Tories had anyone endorse them?

Katie Hopkins threatening to leave the country if labour win doesn't really count...
Premiership footballer, Karl Henry. Because he didn't want people taking his money when they didn't work hard.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

So did anyone see this person forced into the road by Rupa Huq appearing on what looks like the inside of Boris Johnson?
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Sun 03 May, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Not necessarily.

For example, give the Lib Dems 12 seats at the expense of the Tories, you get 270/271/29.

It makes very little odds but Cameron would have to go on those numbers, and the Lib Dems probably will deal with Miliband.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Andrew Lloyd Webber... :rock:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: We need that Lib Dem number to go down.
Not necessarily.

For example, give the Lib Dems 12 seats at the expense of the Tories, you get 270/271/29.

It makes very little odds but Cameron would have to go on those numbers, and the Lib Dems probably will deal with Miliband.
See what you mean. I was wrong.

If the LDs are going to get something like the combined score of the SNP, the DUP and PC then that would be very funny in its own way. But better if they hold on in some LIB-CON seats.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:

:lol: Katie Hopkins threatening to leave the country if labour win doesn't really count...
It doesn't get any better, does it. :lol:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:

Roger Waters - It's a Miracle.
We cower in our shelters
With our hands over our ears
Lloyd-Webber's awful stuff
Runs for years and years and years
An earthquake hits the theater
But the operetta lingers
Then the piano lid comes down
And breaks his fucking fingers
It's a miracle
And that's all I have to say about that.
Release the Guardvarks.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

ohsocynical wrote:

Can't stand his stuff.

So that's a 'no-one of any consequence or interest' then?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Just seen a tweet flash by (missed who by and now can't find it now) saying someone (a Scottish polling Co) are saying Labour will hold at least 11 seats.....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 28 mins28 minutes ago

@SamCoatesTimes Each LAB facing CON held marginal successfully retained is worth same as 2 gains from LDs in terms of plurality.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

AngryAsWell wrote:Just seen a tweet flash by (missed who by and now can't find it now) saying someone (a Scottish polling Co) are saying Labour will hold at least 11 seats.....
Curtis, see above.
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Just seen a tweet flash by (missed who by and now can't find it now) saying someone (a Scottish polling Co) are saying Labour will hold at least 11 seats.....
Curtis, see above.

Oops
Night all :)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Roger Waters - It's a Miracle.
We cower in our shelters
With our hands over our ears
Lloyd-Webber's awful stuff
Runs for years and years and years
An earthquake hits the theater
But the operetta lingers
Then the piano lid comes down
And breaks his fucking fingers
It's a miracle
And that's all I have to say about that.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Credit to OP, but anyone think Clegg's thinking most about holding his own seat with his cosying up to the Tories?
discordantharmony
Backbencher

Post by discordantharmony »

Howdy Doodie........

I guess I better start off with a confession. See when I first started reading the Andrew Sparrow Daily Politics blog it wasn’t really that I had any overriding interest in politics, though mainly it was the ‘witty repartee BTL’.

The year (perhaps longer) moved on and at some point there became a whole bunch of people with whom I had invested a little bit of my emotional time reading their posts (Yeah, Guess who??). Mainly laughing at your responses and yes I must confess sometimes a sadness was felt for some comment you made that resonated within me.

Well then blow me a whole lot of you all buggered off and started FTN, so with very little doing in my social calendar I followed you all over here and thus started my ‘Lurking Phase’. At some point the witty banter became a genuine interest in your comments, beliefs and yes truth be told a growing sense inside myself that by and large I actually identified with your sentiments for the most part. At times I confess occasionally I felt that some of your comments were to put it politely ‘Bat Assed crazy’ yet still I kept returning for I just knew that by and large your belief system pretty much followed mine.

I despise people who’s only reason detente was to screw over other people just for the upper hand this gives them. I find myself constantly asking myself ‘ What is wrong with being fair’, ‘what is wrong with wanting everyone to have the same opportunities or just put simply to be allowed to be whoever or whatever they choose to be with the proviso that they hurt no one else in their aims and goals’?

‘What is wrong with us all being able to get along and yes somewhat cliched as it may be living and let live’?

So yes pretty much thanks to you all my interest in politics has been nurtured and I genuinely cannot imagine another 5 yrs of the Conservatives. All I really ask is for just a little fairness and respect and maybe a little caring for each and everyone out there. Is this too much to ask? I sure hope not.

As an aside I used to live in Belize C.A home to that rather nice and very kindly Mr Michael Ashcroft, Owner of Belize Bank that still owes me the princely sum of BZ $346.28 (£114.67) but, and I stress in no way, shape or form am I disillusioned. He obviously need the money more than I did and rather like ‘The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist I am more than willing to help him out in his hour of need.

I will try to leave this post on a somewhat upbeat note. Each and everyone of you has over the last few years enriched my life. Thank you.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, comrades
love
cJA
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... timidation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trojan Horse returns, with the NAHT saying Clarke's recommendations not carried out.

This is apparently the fault of Labour and the Guardian according to the pondlife below the line.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

@discordantharmony: Thank you for your post, it has cheered me to know that you appreciate this place and the people who are each a part of it – although I think Mr Ashcroft should refund you your money! Be welcome here and join in more often (not compulsory!) And do pop down to Ernst's Kitchen Cafeteria - all free to FTNers - tonight's special is:
A Mashed Jaffa Cake rolled in a thick layer of Marmite and lovingly encased in a hand-crafted Pumpkin, Prawn Cracker, and Black Olive Sourdough casing. Enjoy :D

@cJA and those who have already toddled off to beddy-byes: Goodnight - sleep deeply and dream sweetly :sleep:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Greetings all.

I dropped by to answer what I'd be doing on Thursday night/Friday morning. I'll be at the Watford count for what its worth. But I'm struggling with this place yet again. References to 'the pond life' don't help. And I'm still struggling with the comment recently about the Tory Councillor who had 3 fingers bitten off. I find quips along the lines of 'hope the dog doesn't get rabies' out of order. Actually, I don't just find it 'out of order', I find such comments inhumane. And frankly, such attitudes underline and confirm my decision that the Labour party and its supporters have nothing to offer me and I can't condone them. If that is the Labour attitude, it really isn't that much better than the Tories. :(
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Tizme1 wrote:Greetings all.

I dropped by to answer what I'd be doing on Thursday night/Friday morning. I'll be at the Watford count for what its worth. But I'm struggling with this place yet again. References to 'the pond life' don't help. And I'm still struggling with the comment recently about the Tory Councillor who had 3 fingers bitten off. I find quips along the lines of 'hope the dog doesn't get rabies' out of order. Actually, I don't just find it 'out of order', I find such comments inhumane. And frankly, such attitudes underline and confirm my decision that the Labour party and its supporters have nothing to offer me and I can't condone them. If that is the Labour attitude, it really isn't that much better than the Tories. :(

With all due respect, Tizme, I don't think there is such a thing as "the Labour attitude".

As someone who has supported the Liberals in their various manifestations for 40 years, I have been betrayed by their current incarnation and there are many others like me; Labour is the only alternative for me, as I want my vote to count where I live.

I am also someone who has, on occasion, crossed swords with people here; I have sometimes been very annoyed by what I felt was tribalism and commented accordingly. That was not helpful to anyone, and along with my apologies I have had to express my sadness that my actions (and those of others) has led to some valued posters staying away.

My areas of knowledge are known to you; these are issues I have campaigned on long before this election. Some for decades.
Despite my frequent irritation with Labour's statements on some of these things, my posts have been appreciated and my annoyance with Labour largely tolerated. The people here are not - whatever you think - unkind. Nor are they intolerant.

When individual people make remarks that you personally find offensive, call them out on it. They're big enough to fight their corner or apologise if necessary - and to be fair, I have seen people take back what they say here on occasion (myself included)
Of course there will be times when some of us might be a bit too vicious in what we think is funny. That's not "Labour attitude" it's someone making a joke that not everyone will laugh at. If that's a struggle for you, why bother to engage?

This site makes no apology for being a haven for people who wanted somewhere to go when the Guardian became a bear pit for Tory trolls and a place where left-wingers were being drowned out by not only the Tories below the line but those above it.
I'm inclined to think that even the new format might have been tolerable had the atmosphere remained like the old CIF.

As it is, and with the election so close, most of the regular posters here are Labour supporters; but to cite a few posts you happen to find distasteful and tarring people here with the same brush as the Tories is wrong.
Personally, I have some sympathy for some Green ideas; but it has been my experience and observation that the Greens are not immune from making smart-alec jibes or remarks others might find unpleasant.

I am sorry you continue to struggle with this. Your input is appreciated, but you are being unfair, IMHO. The Tories in office have been vicious, mendacious, incompetent, and downright nasty. Their behaviour is frequently echoed in the attitudes of their supporters.
That is not true of Labour - which is why they are the only party I can support which has a reasonable chance of governing.

I hope you find it in your heart to allow the odd comment you find distasteful to pass, as we are all capable of them. I hope you appreciate the work that others put in to this site so that you and I are free to comment on it.
I hope that your election night goes well for you in Watford, and that you continue to post here. struggling or not.

But please don't accuse all of us as having a "Labour attitude" akin to the Tories. You're better than that, and so are we.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

Interesting piece on the 'shy Tories' prediction. Yes, it's only one poll....
http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index. ... g-so-much/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Word from Downing Street is that David is feeling glum and alone this morning, his mates have taken the day off and gone on holiday. He has told the electorate it's a choice between him and George versus the chaos of Grommet and Wallace. He has lied and lied, even directed people to Leeds to sample delicacies that he'd tasted in the South West and spent the last five years pointing and sneering at his opposition.

Well it's sunny here this morning, Dave, even if there may be clouds over Downing Street. Besides I quite like Wallace, even when people laugh he perseveres until he succeeds. Time and again you've shown no judgement and cannot pick a winner. You can usually tell a man by his friends, but today it seems that even at Millbank you haven't any.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Just seen the weather forecast for Wednesday. Heavy rain and gailforce winds. That'd better not slip to Thursday...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Good morning.

So the SNP would vote a Labour budget down. Plaid would vote a Labour budget down.

I'm expecting - should Labour get the opportunity to put a budget before the HoC - that both parties will be claiming they have brought all sorts of influence to bear, regardless of whether that is fact or not, when it comes before them. The '30 billion of cuts' they keep insisting Labour signed up to won't be in it - as they never did sign up for them. I expect that will be seized on as evidence of their influence.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Morning all.

Hooray for Delia. I'm never sure how much celebrity endorsements help, but at least this one won't hurt.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/de ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Indy have a story on their front page about Lynton Crosby's compnay and their plans to expand the privatisation of the NHS. Hope Lynton was worth the money Dave.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 23112.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And C4's Alex Thomson has put his foot in it on Twitter. Eddie Izzard is off to campaign in Scotland today, which prompted this:
alex thomsonVerified account
‏@alextomo ...clearly Unionist posh trans-gender southern English comedian will save Labour in Scotland
But Eddie is a transvestite, not transgender. Have to say Alex impressed me there - blatant political bias, hints of transphobia and sloppy research all in less than 140 characters, takes some doing.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Good morning.

So the SNP would vote a Labour budget down. Plaid would vote a Labour budget down.

I'm expecting - should Labour get the opportunity to put a budget before the HoC - that both parties will be claiming they have brought all sorts of influence to bear, regardless of whether that is fact or not, when it comes before them. The '30 billion of cuts' they keep insisting Labour signed up to won't be in it - as they never did sign up for them. I expect that will be seized on as evidence of their influence.
Naivety on my behalf, but I'll ask the question. How can the SNP not support a Labour budget vote and not expect there to be implications in the 2016 Scottish elections?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

StephenDolan wrote:

Naivety on my behalf, but I'll ask the question. How can the SNP not support a Labour budget vote and not expect there to be implications in the 2016 Scottish elections?

I asked that last week and answer came their none.
Would be interested to hear from Eric & others for their view.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Meaningless posturing from Leanne Wood, she is just trying to emulate her new BFF Nicola.
We would be prepard to vote down a Labour budget that was putting more on the backs of the poor …
So where, given Labour's manifesto and Ed's comments about helping those in need, does she think Labour have said they will be putting forward a budget like that. At the risk of offending some of our more sensitive readers, she is an utter buffoon.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Argh...just started a new Monday thread, have deleted it.

Am responding to Tisme from the early hours post.
Yet again I/we fail to live up to her very high standards and we are taken to task for it.

Just to say I am sorry Tisme if my joke about the dog getting rabies offended you so much that it makes you dislike Labour supporters even more than you already did.

It would be petty of me to spend a few minutes dredging the net for greens who say 'nasty' things others disagree with, but the evidence of such stuff is there in spades. So I won't.

I am sometimes puzzled by your posts.
I get the sense you just read to look for reasons to feel outraged and then take us to task because we don't live up to your expectations. Notice the digs about us are usually posted in the early hours.

There are lots of forums I don't venture on.
Have seen far worse than a [very old type] joke about a dog getting rabies from people who espouse the real socialist/green/free drugs point of view, so I don't go to them.
Its been things I've seen around the net that make me much less likely to put Greens down as my second choice in the Senedd elections. Before I went online five years ago I felt positive about the party and some of its less silly policies.

My choice, your choice. We aren't here to make you happy. Never said we were.

& if you 'can't condone' Labour supporters, then please don't put yourself out to do so.
We'll just have to find a way to live with it somehow won't we ?

Now, we have more important things and people to care about - how to ensure we get Ed in Downing Street and Cameron out.

And - great news if Delia Smith is the endorsement - although it's not new that she votes Labour is it ?
Last edited by yahyah on Mon 04 May, 2015 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

StephenDolan wrote:

If they don't support a Labour budget vote (but I think it's possible they will but claim they made it a decent anti austerity budget) it will be all Labour's fault. And they will proclaim that loudly at every opportunity to convince their supporters of it - and they probably will be convinced of it. And it will be used as further evidence that none of the UK parties at Westminster have Scotland's best interests at heart ... so let's renew our efforts for independence now. I'm coming to believe it doesn't matter who is in government in Westminster - they will have to be monsterised.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

'Arrogance' is thinking that your piddly couple of potential seats should wield a massively disproportionate amount of power in the House of Commons. Yes Wood, I'm glaring at you.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The Tories will try and claim 'legitimacy' if they get the most seats but can't make the numbers.

I hope people in the media remind the public that the Tories, Lib Dem & Plaid tried to lock out Labour, the largest party in the 2007 Senedd elections.
Labour were way ahead, on 26 seats, the Tories had 15.

Only when negotiations between the losing parties faltered did Plaid agree to support Labour.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ed Miliband: Conservatives have secret plan to reorganise NHS after election
Labour will ask why 2014 report by former Marks & Spencer boss Stuart Rose has not been published, even though it has been in Tory hands since December

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ed Miliband will on Monday try to put the NHS at the heart of the runup to polling day by asking the Conservatives to explain why they have not published a plan – commissioned by the government from a former supermarket executive – for another re-organisation of NHS bureaucracy after the election.

Labour is also highlighting a letter published in the Guardian from US doctors warning that, on the current course, the NHS is on a “slippery slope” to pay-as-you-go healthcare.

Miliband, who will campaign alongside cookery writer Delia Smith on Monday, is highlighting an unpublished report commissioned by the Department of Health (DH) from the former Marks & Spencer chief executive Stuart Rose, a Tory peer.

The report was passed to ministers well before the election purdah period during which announcements cannot be made, but has not been published.

The Conservatives said the report had been delayed because the remit had been widened to take account of the NHS five-year forward view.

The report is understood to focus not on controversial issues, such as the contracting out of health services, but on the excessively complex NHS bureaucracy, some of which may have been worsened by changes introduced by the previous health secretary, Andrew Lansley...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Scriven
‏@Paulscriven
So Cameron has taken to lying on Tory Maj. @nick_clegg told me that Cameron privately admitted to him that the Tories won't win a majority

Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 11m11 minutes ago
Patrick Wintour retweeted Paul Scriven
Has Cameron told Clegg he won't win a majority as claimed here ?

Paul Scriven ‏@Paulscriven 9m9 minutes ago
@patrickwintour @nick_clegg Hell yes!
fedup59
Committee Member

Post by fedup59 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:

If they don't support a Labour budget vote (but I think it's possible they will but claim they made it a decent anti austerity budget) it will be all Labour's fault. And they will proclaim that loudly at every opportunity to convince their supporters of it - and they probably will be convinced of it. And it will be used as further evidence that none of the UK parties at Westminster have Scotland's best interests at heart ... so let's renew our efforts for independence now. I'm coming to believe it doesn't matter who is in government in Westminster - they will have to be monsterised.
The other thing is that handing the tories power takes us into an EU ref - with stronger arguments about Scotland's interests in staying in the EU. Ensuing chaos means that SNP will not be held to account in the 2016 elections (their record is crap because they've been focused on the anti Westminster indy ref), politics will remain in the 'high' politics realm of claim and counter claim without anybody governing/ holding to account anywhere. So media happily writing screeds of crap, politicians shouting about rights to determination and policy development and delivery ignored in all the hype. It's the keep the headless chickens on the move and nobody will notice those who are suffering from extreme incompetence or malign intent strategy. If we want Government for the people we need Labour.

Morning all.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

From the G politics blog:
That FT splash has already cost the Lib Dems one vote. This is from the novelist Linda Grant.

Linda Grant ✔@lindasgrant
Tories and LibDems are already in coalition talks. Which is why I won't be voting LD in Hornsey&Wood Green
7:07 AM - 4 May 2015
The FT headline article is 'Cameron and Clegg prepared to move quickly to form coalition'.

So much hinges on whether Clegg is still in place in Sheffield Hallam and how well the Lib Dems do for seats. Let's hope they fail against Labour and SNP ... and those that do get back in are from where they are fighting against Tories.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

yahyah wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:

I asked that last week and answer came their none.
Would be interested to hear from Eric & others for their view.

Haven't the nationalists (both flavours) said they will not vote for an austerity budget? What of Labour don't posit an austerity budget?

Little Woody-Two-Shoes has said she will not vote for a budget that "attacks the poor", that's all. Nicola's all over the shop on this.

If Labour do not have benefit cuts in their first budget, and will have already abolished the bedroom tax, job done.

If Plaid and SNP MPs are told by their leaders, neither of whom are actually MPs themselves, that they must not vote for a budget put forward by the party which abolished the bedroom tax on Day One (thus saving "their" poor and average of £12 a week), I wonder what their supporters will make of that?

Labour have said that included in their first budget will be a commitment to give the Welsh government another £1.5 Billion.
They have also said that they support more devolution generally, and will look again at Barnett.

I don't understand why these two parties (especially Plaid) seem determined to shoot themselves in the foot. No, feet. Erm. Whatevs.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Green candidate offends men who've had to have orchidectomies due to cancer or other health problems.

''Later that day Ross tweeted: “I apologise sincerely for offending testicular cancer sufferers. I don’t apologise for offending UKIP, their racist scapegoating offends me.”

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... er-8918218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

;) Not just Labour supporters who make silly jokes then eh ?
At least I'm not a candidate who is looking to be elected.
Last edited by yahyah on Mon 04 May, 2015 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

As only an occasional poster (although an avid reader), I've always thought it wise to steer clear of any internal forum drama, but I would like to say that I've never thought of this forum as exclusively Labour. I've flirted with all kinds of hard left parties over the past twenty years, and I've only actually voted Labour in 2010 and will again on Thursday.

I've got loads of problems with Labour, their stance on civil liberties and personal freedoms, the way they set in place the system that currently harasses the sick and disabled (a system which I confess I didn't really know much about until I started following links and stories posted by a lot of you on CiF and then here), the way they've conceded the argument on immigration to UKIP rather then talk up the positives (something which I do admire the Green Party for doing). But I do think that under Ed Miliband they have the chance to turn back the excesses of the past twenty years and become more like the Labour Party that I suspect many of us would want. And I'm really scared of what another 5 years of Tory rule will do the country, I think it would mean the end of most of the institutions we take for granted.

And in terms of people making offensive remarks, I'm often amazed at the utterly innocuous comments that other posters become enraged at. This is without a doubt the most polite, friendly online community that I have EVER been a part of. Everyone tries so hard not to offend each other and to respect each others opinions, and its awesome. There's no professional wind up merchants, no single issue ranters, no holier than thou perfectionists who do nothing but criticise other posters for their lack of commitment to the cause. Nobody posts links to porn, or tries to get other posters banned, or tells you your not a real socialist/feminist/whatever because you have a slightly different opinion to them. Nobody ever tells you to check your fucking privilege, or calls you a TERF, or denounces you as a splitter and then tries to find out who you are in real life so they can harass you in person.

This is a gem of a community and we should do our best to keep it together for as long as possible.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Humphrys 'interviewing' Miliband on Radio 4. Grrrrrh.

Interruption after interruption after interruption.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tish wrote:.

And in terms of people making offensive remarks, I'm often amazed at the utterly innocuous comments that other posters become enraged at. This is without a doubt the most polite, friendly online community that I have EVER been a part of. Everyone tries so hard not to offend each other and to respect each others opinions, and its awesome. There's no professional wind up merchants, no single issue ranters, no holier than thou perfectionists who do nothing but criticise other posters for their lack of commitment to the cause. Nobody posts links to porn, or tries to get other posters banned, or tells you your not a real socialist/feminist/whatever because you have a slightly different opinion to them. Nobody ever tells you to check your fucking privilege, or calls you a TERF, or denounces you as a splitter and then tries to find out who you are in real life so they can harass you in person.

This is a gem of a community and we should do our best to keep it together for as long as possible.
As someone whose views are not shared by many on here, I am in a better position than most to say that I agree.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Humphrys 'interviewing' Miliband on Radio 4. Grrrrrh.

Interruption after interruption after interruption.
I listen to radio 3 in the mornings now.

It improves the quality of my life immeasurably.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Thank you, Tish - "....and it's awesome"

Talking of awesome, Ed is on a roll now.

After some to-ing and fro-ing on the SNP etc. (with Ed saying what he's been saying for weeks), this:
John Humphreys (for it is he) - "What is a legitimate government?"
Ed - "You'll have to explain that"
Hump - "Some of your MPs are saying that if you don't have more seats than the Tories, your government won't be legitimate"
Ed - "I'm not going to speculate on that"
Hump - "It's an important constitutional point"
Ed - "Then get constitutional experts on"

I love it.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Tish wrote:As only an occasional poster (although an avid reader), I've always thought it wise to steer clear of any internal forum drama, but I would like to say that I've never thought of this forum as exclusively Labour. I've flirted with all kinds of hard left parties over the past twenty years, and I've only actually voted Labour in 2010 and will again on Thursday.

I've got loads of problems with Labour, their stance on civil liberties and personal freedoms, the way they set in place the system that currently harasses the sick and disabled (a system which I confess I didn't really know much about until I started following links and stories posted by a lot of you on CiF and then here), the way they've conceded the argument on immigration to UKIP rather then talk up the positives (something which I do admire the Green Party for doing). But I do think that under Ed Miliband they have the chance to turn back the excesses of the past twenty years and become more like the Labour Party that I suspect many of us would want. And I'm really scared of what another 5 years of Tory rule will do the country, I think it would mean the end of most of the institutions we take for granted.

Thanks Tish, so pleased that you feel that.

I probably shouldn't have responded to Tisme's attack on me about my Tory candidate joke.
We're all on edge at the moment.
Sorry if my responding to provocation puts your feeling of community here at risk.
Last edited by yahyah on Mon 04 May, 2015 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

Last nights YouGov poll again showed a 1% CONS lead.
For those interested the raw figures show this
Biggish poll 1789 respondents
Before Weighting CONS lead 2.3%
The only anomalies I can see are, as yesterday, unweighted sample skewed to South of England (ex London) 34% of sample
and 60+ 33.5% of sample - actual distribution in whole of UK 60+ is 22.6% (but as we know more likely to vote but shouldn't affect sampling)
and a late swing in social class voting Lab Lead in C2DE now only 3% apparently, yesterday was 10%.
As a holiday I expect the same tonight.