Saturday 2nd, Sunday 3rd & Monday 4th May 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Re: Saturday 2nd, Sunday 3rd & Monday 4th May 2015

Post by pk1 »

AS blog:
A new Guardian/ICM poll suggests that large-scale tactical voting will save Nick Clegg in his constituency of Sheffield Hallam.

The poll puts Clegg on 42%, seven points clear of his young Labour rival, Oliver Coppard, who is on 35%. Ian Walker, the candidate for the Conservatives, is on 12%.

But Clegg achieves his seven-point lead only because almost half the people (48%) who say their nationwide preference is for the Conservatives are planning to support the Lib Dem.

When ICM asked voters which party they would prefer if they put the local context and candidates out of mind, Labour is out ahead, on 34%, with the Lib Dems on 32% and the Conservatives on 21%.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Clegg's Sheffield Hallam constituency poll (Lord Ashcroft):

LABOUR 34%
CLEGG 32%
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Swarthlander wrote:Clegg could be safe... if we rely on the opinion of 500 people?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... allam-poll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is that a sound poll?
Actually it's 437 people according to the ICM data.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty small sample for a poll so the margin of error is going to be significant.

The data also states that 24% of people either haven't decided who to vote for yet or refused to answer that question.

I've no doubt Tory voters will try and keep Clegg in power as he's their greatest ally within the Lib-Dems but I seriously doubt the result will look anything like what this poll says it will.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 43s43 seconds ago
ICM Guardian Hallam poll finds that 48% of those who'd support CON nationally are ready to swing to LD to support Clegg
It's all rather toe curling how important this one man seems to have become again ... despite his track record.

All I can do is hope that there will be a counter tactical voting move by those who might vote for other parties in Sheffield Hallam - and / or this Guardian poll is not as representative and accurate as Cleggites would like it to be.
Working on the wild side.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Just done a quick calculation using the Comres margin of error tool and worked out that the margin of error, assuming a similar voter turnout in Sheffield Hallam as 2010, is 4.67%.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Just seen Eddi Reader's tweet basically saying Murphy shouldn't have gone to Glasgow it was provocative ... and am very depressed. What has it come to when parties are being told they shouldn't campaign somewhere during an election?
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Looking at the weighting, it looks like they had to weight the 18-24 year old group up by 20% due to undersampling but there's almost no change in weighting for any group above age 35. Sounds like it's that potential phone poll problem of younger generations not having landlines and/or going home for the bank holiday weekend from university.
Last edited by Spacedone on Mon 04 May, 2015 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Just seen Eddi Reader's tweet basically saying Murphy shouldn't have gone to Glasgow it was provocative ... and am very depressed. What has it come to when parties are being told they shouldn't campaign somewhere during an election?

I hope it shakes up voters in Scotland, do they want to live under Salmond's stormtroopers ?
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Just seen Eddi Reader's tweet basically saying Murphy shouldn't have gone to Glasgow it was provocative ... and am very depressed. What has it come to when parties are being told they shouldn't campaign somewhere during an election?
I'm still laughing at Sturgeon's "Those weren't our nationalists."

Stir up nationalism and bad stuff happens every time.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Gapes retweeted
Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 9h9 hours ago
On Cons "push for majority": at the very least it's clear that there are very marginal Labour-Con seats, where Cons hardly turned up...
I wonder which seats he means?
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 43s43 seconds ago
ICM Guardian Hallam poll finds that 48% of those who'd support CON nationally are ready to swing to LD to support Clegg
It's all rather toe curling how important this one man seems to have become again ... despite his track record.

All I can do is hope that there will be a counter tactical voting move by those who might vote for other parties in Sheffield Hallam - and / or this Guardian poll is not as representative and accurate as Cleggites would like it to be.
Or, what's left of the parliamentary party tell him where to go on May 8th. They won't like him cosying up to the Tories if the arithmetic says a deal with Lab would be better. Especially if he's just lost 25-35 of their MPs.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Blair McDougall ‏@blairmcdougall 3m3 minutes ago
Nicola Sturgeon's 'this is nothing to do with me' line just isn't good enough. The mob was led by this SNP activist.

https://twitter.com/search?q=blair%20mcdougall&src=typd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

If the atmosphere in Scotland is really as toxic as that tweet implies for supporters of the union, I'm beginning to understand why Labour, Libdem and Tory supporters are all willing to vote tactically for each other in order to effectively opose the nationalists, who have the advantage of being represented by a single party, when unionist support is split three ways. Until Scotland develops a plurality of parties on the nationalist as well as unionist side, the political dynamic will remain skewed with those who support the union, roughly half the population, with possibly little to no representation in Westminster, which won't be very healthy for our democracy imo.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Jim Murphy's gone up in my estimation, never been a fan of his but he is up against this sort of **** and still managed to smile.

yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Plaid people, apart from some of the Welsh language obsessives don't behave like the worst of their Scots counterparts, thankfully.

The days of Welsh Nat bombs and fires & Meibion Glyndŵr are long gone, but how long before some of the nuttier SNP activists emulate them ?
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

yahyah wrote:

I hope it shakes up voters in Scotland, do they want to live under Salmond's stormtroopers ?
This one doesn't! (Not that anybody could deduce that from my posts) :lol:
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

We had this? Unaccountably, not in other media outlets.

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-c5 ... penses-row" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Eddi Reader ‏@eddireader 5h5 hours ago
@BBCJamesCook walking into a YES city and trying to create chaos and aggro.. Jim Murphy is a trouble maker

Pathetic. As a wise man replies.

Graeme ‏@talkstough 1m1 minute ago
.@eddireader @BBCJamesCook Shall we just simplify things then & call it "a No country" and shutdown all debate then? Idiotic, divisive post.
Also a few comments BTL Over There and on Twitter saying that Eddie Izzard dressing up as Nicola Sturgeon was also provocative. :smack:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

mikems wrote:We had this? Unaccountably, not in other media outlets.

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-c5 ... penses-row" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you for the link. Why am I not surprised that she shares with Philip Davies? But I do like the way the Morning Star calls them 'claimants'. Damn right.
The employment minister, who has claimed various sums reaching up to £1,830 a month since 2010 for rent, listed two non-existent companies as landlords at the London property she shares with fellow Tory claimant Philip Davies.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

1. New Twitterstorm this evening in progress - hashtag #ToriesOutNow

2. Eddi Reader sings like and angel but perhaps shouldn't speak.

3. Tish - de nada.

xx
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

#toriesoutnow trending top. Which is nice.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

C4 News just showed a clip of Gordon Brown.

I'm going to miss him.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
@BBCJamesCook walking into a YES city and trying to create chaos and aggro.. Jim Murphy is a trouble maker

.@eddireader @BBCJamesCook Shall we just simplify things then & call it "a No country" and shutdown all debate then? Idiotic, divisive post.
Also a few comments BTL Over There and on Twitter saying that Eddie Izzard dressing up as Nicola Sturgeon was also provocative. :smack:
He went up in my estimation when he dressed up as Robert Watson Watt (Scottish pioneer of radar) in "Castles in the Sky".
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Eric_WLothian wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

He went up in my estimation when he dressed up as Robert Watson Watt (Scottish pioneer of radar) in "Castles in the Sky".
He was damned good in that. But I'm a massive fan anyway.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Also a few comments BTL Over There and on Twitter saying that Eddie Izzard dressing up as Nicola Sturgeon was also provocative. :smack:
He was damned good in that. But I'm a massive fan anyway.
Yes he was good in that. He toned down the 'Izzard' a lot more than in his usual acting.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Eddie Izzard ran 51 marathons in 63 days, or something equally ridiculous.

Still, he shouldn't show his face in Glasgow.

Imagine the furore if Labour, in Scotland at it's most merciless showed the same contempt for it's challengers, nationalists, sorry, but I have no time for them.

I have read that Wales is a colony, run by colonist quislings, funnily enough the bloke who wrote such nonsense lived in England, of course he talked about hireath, the emotional calling back to Wales, but he earned his coin in an occupying land.

Wankers.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Harrow East Tory Leaflet.jpg
Harrow East Tory Leaflet.jpg (89.62 KiB) Viewed 8724 times
Virendra Sharma ‏@VirendraSharma 5m5 minutes ago
Virendra Sharma retweeted bipin gami
Appalling divisive politics from the Tories in Harrow, Slough and Southall
Please tell me that isn't a real piece of Tory election 'literature'.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Spacedone wrote:Looking at the weighting, it looks like they had to weight the 18-24 year old group up by 20% due to undersampling but there's almost no change in weighting for any group above age 35. Sounds like it's that potential phone poll problem of younger generations not having landlines and/or going home for the bank holiday weekend from university.
I can't see how phone poll of 500 people would necessarily give good cross section,
there's a big difference across the constituency,
our end (Crookes ) is likely to be strongly Labour,
Posher bits more lib/con.
Think it's going go be a lot tighter than poll suggests, also hoping someTories saying they'll vote Clegg, may not vote lib-dem, when moment comes.
:?:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Is this true or more fabrication by a poster I had a disagreement with last night ? He is responding to another poster who said the East Ren situation could be foreseen.
Since East Ren Labour people had helpfully told them about the event, and Izzard’s presence would guarantee the publicity, then the results were inevitable.
Same as Labour disrupting Plaid campaigning in the Arfon constituency over the last few days by following them around dressed in fox costumes and running in between them and the passers by they are talking to and yapping. to drown them out
I can't ask him for evidence since I decided not to engage with him again but it's alarming if he is speaking the truth.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
That line at the bottom says
Electoral Commission application in progress

WTF does that mean ??
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Heard on Sky News just news, William and Kate have a few big houses so there's a chance of a third child. No further comment etc..

Neil and Glenys Kinnock out and about in Barry tonight, hope that shows that it is worth it and still all in play?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

pk1 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
That line at the bottom says
Electoral Commission application in progress

WTF does that mean ??
I noticed that too PK. I wondered if it is some third party group who want to campaign for a Conservative vote and have realised they have to register with the EC - so have done so but haven't yet been approved or whatever the official recognition is called.

I just can't believe the Tories would be so daft and awful to put out something like that - it's such a slur - possibly defamatory of both Labour and Lib Dems and just downright nasty in using caste divisions ... unbelievable.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

pk1 wrote:Is this true or more fabrication by a poster I had a disagreement with last night ? He is responding to another poster who said the East Ren situation could be foreseen.
Since East Ren Labour people had helpfully told them about the event, and Izzard’s presence would guarantee the publicity, then the results were inevitable.
Same as Labour disrupting Plaid campaigning in the Arfon constituency over the last few days by following them around dressed in fox costumes and running in between them and the passers by they are talking to and yapping. to drown them out
I can't ask him for evidence since I decided not to engage with him again but it's alarming if he is speaking the truth.

First I have heard about such "goings on" in Arfon. Though I have been out of synch.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
I have read that Wales is a colony, run by colonist quislings, funnily enough the bloke who wrote such nonsense lived in England, of course he talked about hireath, the emotional calling back to Wales, but he earned his coin in an occupying land.

Wankers.
Sounds much the same as the infamous "wings over Scotland" SNP-supporting hate-site, run by the "Rev" Stuart Campbell, based in... Bath. :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Had a look at Alan Pugh, Labour PPC, twitter feed and took this snapshot. I think the foxes are part of the big pro wildlife / common decency campaign targeting MPs / parties that have supported fox hunting (Plaid has / does) and the badger cull (Plaid were the architects of the failed badger cull in Wales). I think Alan Pugh - along with Irranca Davies, Paul Flynn and several other Labour MPs in Wales - is one of the strong voices against animal cruelty. Plaid are very touchy about their record on this - they complained to the police when we were doing street stalls and leafleting in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion (quite legitimately) and tried to get us moved or arrested. They also barracked and heckled peaceful marches through Aberystwyth organised by the Dyfi Badger Group.

How yappy, loud or anything else these foxes are - I simply don't know. They look pretty jolly in that photo.
Arfon Anti Fox Hunting Protestors.jpg
Arfon Anti Fox Hunting Protestors.jpg (88.34 KiB) Viewed 9652 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.

Night PF :)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Hmmm. Clegg

I never expected us to take that. Lovely to do so, as it would have killed off a Con and LD coalition but the gap is too big, and if you know Sheffield Hallam you'll know it is Tory territory really.

But.

That is quite a big gap, and not very encouraging. It also shows Con + LD tactical voting.

If anyone is interested in the minutiae of what happens after May 8th and whether the SNP have a veto you might be interested in a disagreement that is going on.

https://spinninghugo.wordpress.com/2015 ... m-tomkins/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Apologies if someone has already posted this. The Independent comes out ...
EDITORIAL
Monday 4 May 2015
In defence of liberal democracy
Only a legitimate government with a proper mandate and a commitment to the Union can prevent the fragmentation of our country

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/edi ... 24221.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Apologies if someone has already posted this. The Independent comes out ...
EDITORIAL
Monday 4 May 2015
In defence of liberal democracy
Only a legitimate government with a proper mandate and a commitment to the Union can prevent the fragmentation of our country

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/edi ... 24221.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For all its faults, another Lib-Con Coalition would both prolong recovery and give our kingdom a better chance of continued existence.
the one that is faltering right now?
This title casts no vote. But we prize strong, effective government, consider nationalism guilty until proven innocent, and say that if the present Coalition is to get another chance, we hope it is much less conservative, and much more liberal.
i.e. we really want to say vote Tory but daren't do it because our readers would leave in droves.

Hardly surprising given the attitudes of its editor.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

And this:
On raising the income tax threshold, the pupil premium, early years learning and apprenticeships the Lib Dems have been a force for progress, and if he returns to government Mr Clegg should insist on being Education Secretary.
Clegg?

Clegg??

FFS! he was the idiot who announced the universal infants FSM without it having gone through the education dept. Tories won't wear that at all. Far more likely to be Laws given that Paul Marshall (his fellow Orange Book editor) is still there on the DfE board.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mark Ferguson ‏@Markfergusonuk 46m46 minutes ago
Not ashamed to say it brought a tear to my eye >> "A nation and a movement" - Scottish Labour election broadcast http://labli.st/1ELSsVx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can see why.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Mark Millar ‏@mrmarkmillar · 4h4 hours ago
A thought: When I publicly went from Lab to SNP I got no abuse in 3 yrs. Today I went SNP to Lab & got over 100 abusive tweets in 1 hr.
Mark Millar, for those unfamiliar with him, is a writer and one of the biggest names in the comic book world. Several of his works have been made into films, most notable Kick Ass and The Secret Service. That tweet perfectly illustrates both the fact that it is not all as one-sided as the 45ers would have us believe and the levels of intimidation being used by their side.

Night PF.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kirsten Oswald Letter.jpg
Kirsten Oswald Letter.jpg (46.03 KiB) Viewed 9620 times
This is the strangest election.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
A thought: When I publicly went from Lab to SNP I got no abuse in 3 yrs. Today I went SNP to Lab & got over 100 abusive tweets in 1 hr.
Mark Millar, for those unfamiliar with him, is a writer and one of the biggest names in the comic book world. Several of his works have been made into films, most notable Kick Ass and The Secret Service. That tweet perfectly illustrates both the fact that it is not all as one-sided as the 45ers would have us believe and the levels of intimidation being used by their side.

Night PF.
Thanks - I saw that earlier and didn't know who he was - so good to find out.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mark Ferguson ‏@Markfergusonuk 18m18 minutes ago
What is it about the top-rate-tax-rising, non-dom-abolishing, mansion-taxing Labour Party that the Independent doesn’t like? I can’t imagine
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

Night PF.
Thanks - I saw that earlier and didn't know who he was - so good to find out.
Mark Millar, top chap. The Kick-Ass movies are brilliant, in an unhinged sort of way. I am surprised about the SNP Tory letter, why write that? Did Sturgeon sanction it?
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Mark Ferguson ‏@Markfergusonuk 18m18 minutes ago
What is it about the top-rate-tax-rising, non-dom-abolishing, mansion-taxing Labour Party that the Independent doesn’t like? I can’t imagine
The Indy editorial reads like something out of the 1950s with its archaic language. Presumably written by the same editor who advocates the end of free healthcare.

The final nail in the papers credibility.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:And this:
On raising the income tax threshold, the pupil premium, early years learning and apprenticeships the Lib Dems have been a force for progress, and if he returns to government Mr Clegg should insist on being Education Secretary.
Clegg?

Clegg??

FFS! he was the idiot who announced the universal infants FSM without it having gone through the education dept. Tories won't wear that at all. Far more likely to be Laws given that Paul Marshall (his fellow Orange Book editor) is still there on the DfE board.
And of course there was already extra funding for schools with poorer pupils long before the Pupil Premium.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Warning - Sun You Gov bollocks.

43m43 minutes ago
Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB
Exciting times. @StigAbell of the Sun says tonight's YouGov is not a 1% CON lead or a 1% LAB one. The tension mounts.

Of course it hasn't been accompanied by the usual Sun cheerleading so maybe Stig is having fun.
Release the Guardvarks.