Wednesday 6th May 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Spacedone
Whip

Wednesday 6th May 2015

Post by Spacedone »

A selection of comments from last night about this morning's newspaper front pages...
Paul Lewis ‏@paullewismoney 7 hrs7 hours ago
Tomorrow's newspaper front pages really bizarre. Air of desperation about them as all polls show Lab and Con neck and neck on 34%.
Owen Jones ‏@OwenJones84 7 hrs7 hours ago
This is our "free press". The playthings of panicking rich moguls spreading fear to stop any threat to their power
Owen Jones ‏@OwenJones84 7 hrs7 hours ago
Look at the fear in these newspapers now. Imagine their jubilation on Friday if the Tories win.
George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 7 hrs7 hours ago
If Labour take office and the sky doesn't fall in, the right will have a lot of explaining to do.
Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 7 hrs7 hours ago
Tomorrow's front pages show British press at partisan worst. All pretence of separation between news and opinion gone, even in "qualities".
Mary Riddell ‏@MaryRiddell 7 hrs7 hours ago
I am a diehard defender of our free and brilliant press, but some of tomorrow's front pages mark a bleak day for journalism
Simon Blackwell ‏@simonblackwell 6 hrs6 hours ago
The sheer berserk ferocity of tomorrow's front pages is something to behold.
Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 6 hrs6 hours ago
Editors/owners determine the sort of partisan front pages you will see tomorrow yet not one will appear on @daily_politics to defend actions
Robert Llewellyn ‏@bobbyllew 6 hrs6 hours ago
Tomorrows front pages are the most hysterical I’ve ever seen, but they reek of fear.
The establishment is in a blind panic.
Matthew Sweet ‏@DrMatthewSweet 7 hrs7 hours ago Lewisham, London
Sheesh. Some of tomorrow's front pages look like the work of an anti-semitic intern at the National Enquirer.
I tried to find even a single comment that was even vaguely supportive but couldn't.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Re: Wednesday 6th May 2015

Post by ephemerid »

Good morning Spacedone, and all.

That list of comments is as interesting as the front pages are fatuous. But partisan readers and the terminally thick will love them.

What with that, the appalling BBC bias, and the Sun's hounding of a 17-year-old, we need Leveson implemented, and soon.

After the Tory party political broadcast from Neil on the Daily Politics yesterday, and his soft treatment of IDS during the DP "welfare" debate, I expect today's offering from him to involve left-wingers only and all Labour supporters to boot. If that doesn't happen, I'll complain again.

Talking with our candidate yesterday, he's "knackered" and he says his "heart is thumping so hard I can hear it in my ears". Love him.
He's ready for the final push and says he will miss it when it's all over. "It's been a blast".
Show and I have one more leaflet drop to do tomorrow morning, we'll go and vote, then stand by to give lifts to anyone who needs one.
I don't think Matthew can win - the odds are stacked against him - but it won't be for want of trying.

Now that we know what the Tories have in mind for social security, I'm feeling both determined and fearful. IDS claimed yesterday that the "work" hadn't been done to sort out where the £12BN of cuts would fall - he lied, obviously, and the plans are right there in the Guardian.
I realise that civil servants make some plans for various scenarios for an incoming new government - but these leaked documents show that IDS's ministers asked for specific things to be looked into more than a year ago. We know what the cuts will be, the "work" has been done.

So to anyone reading this, whatever your political persuasion, please vote Labour. This election result is too close to call, and Labour need as much support as possible so that they are the largest party even if they don't gain enough seats for an outright victory.
Think of those who will suffer if the Tories get to somehow finagle another government - please.
Last edited by ephemerid on Wed 06 May, 2015 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Morning all.
Editors/owners determine the sort of partisan front pages you will see tomorrow yet not one will appear on @daily_politics to defend actions
Can't justify the travel time, don't think I'm wrong in saying every single one of them would have to fly in. :fire:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Spacedone wrote: I tried to find even a single comment that was even vaguely supportive but couldn't.
Guess who?
‏@DPJHodges
I think there's a lot of truth in criticism from Labour supporters about those demeaning front pages. No naked Nick Clegg? Or broken arms?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

If you live in social or council housing in the Borough of Wandsworth, and you are eligible for the Under Occupation Penalty, you might get a letter from the council offering new accommodation - in Birmingham.

Wandsworth Cllr. Simon Hogg, who represents Latchmere and Battersea in the borough, has Tweeted a copy of the letter. In it, the council says it has properties in the private sector in the Birmingham area available to rent.
If you move, you can get £2,000 in expenses, plus between £3,500 to £5,000 cash depending on how many bedrooms there are in your current home in Wandsworth. Move from a 2-bed in Battersea to a one-bed in Brum and you get £5,500 in total.

That council is controlled by a Conservative majority.

I wonder how many people, struggling with money, will take up this bribe to be socially cleansed from their community?
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

ephemerid wrote:If you live in social or council housing in the Borough of Wandsworth, and you are eligible for the Under Occupation Penalty, you might get a letter from the council offering new accommodation - in Birmingham.

Wandsworth Cllr. Simon Hogg, who represents Latchmere and Battersea in the borough, has Tweeted a copy of the letter. In it, the council says it has properties in the private sector in the Birmingham area available to rent.
If you move, you can get £2,000 in expenses, plus between £3,500 to £5,000 cash depending on how many bedrooms there are in your current home in Wandsworth. Move from a 2-bed in Battersea to a one-bed in Brum and you get £5,500 in total.

I wonder how many people, struggling with money, will take up this bribe to be socially cleansed from their community?
How is that not considered an attempt at gerrymandering/social engineering?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

jaydeepee ‏@reddeviljp · 6m6 minutes ago
She means Louise Mensch and she's right.
Julieann Carter @MisGrace
@reddeviljp @ianrmillard She's a relentless bully too. Real vindictive streak with the IQ of a turnip.
andrew searley ‏@searleyandrew · 3m3 minutes ago
@reddeviljp bit harsh on turnips!
:lol:
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Headline on the Telegraph site is...

David Cameron to declare victory on Friday without a coalition deal

Cancel the election, Cameron's already decided who won. :toss:
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

The battle lines are drawn, David Cameron is boarding his campaign bus for his final rush. So much to do in so little time. Venue after venue, performance after performance. How much longer can Dave be our acting Prime Minister? Not Much Longer Now... It's Now Or Never... But poor Dave is feeling tired, "Wake Me Up... When We Get There..."

The bus rolls on while Dave takes a nap...
When was the last time I had a trip? Oh yes that wet and windy New Year when that nice man came and sorted out the Sound Of Music... Sound Of Music...
I've Had Enough of Lynton. Andy, Where Are U Now? You could really tap into the people.
"The wheels on the bus go round and round."
I used to like Brian May and now he's gone and done The Badger Song.
"Round and round"
May? May? I really must sort that internet out. I was shocked, shocked I tell you when I Googled Teresa.
"Round and round"
This Nightmare Will Never End... I Can't Take This Anymore... Well the country can't.
"The wheels on the bus go round and round."
I Predict a Riot.. At least Boris has his water cannons.
"Round and round"
I can't go North Of The Border.

"Dave, Dave. We're here."

"Oh shit, somebody pass me a mirror, no-one must see me like this. I'm glad I got my bank card back." Chop Chop and A Sharp Intake Of Breath. Step aside Elvis, "Pump It Up, until you can feel it..." "I'll Show Them Who's Boss."

Poor Dave, lurking at the back of his mind he knows he isn't heading back to Downing Street, he's going Down, Down, deeper and down.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Re: Wednesase that is what it is.day 6th May 2015

Post by ephemerid »

Spacedone - I don't know how that isn't considered social engineering or gerrymandering. Because that is what it is.

I wonder how many people, in debt and stuck in homes they have to pay bedroom tax for whilst on low wages or benefits, will take this offer up.
It's a racket.
The council is bribing people to leave, knowing that some of them will face eviction or prosecution for debt (to the council) if they don't. Either way, the Tory council gets it's mitts on properties which could command a big chunk of cash if sold privately.

I used to live in Wandsworth many years ago. Bought a little basement flat with the ex at the top of West Hill. Loved it there.

The average council rent in Wandsworth for a 2-bed flat is about £120PW.
The Local Housing Allowance for a private let 2-bed flat is £280.60PW.
Private 2-bed flats are going for between £200 and £900 a week.

No wonder they want the tenants on HB out.
The cheapest 2-bed I could find in Wandsworth is a housing association flat at £206,000.
Private ones - ex-council too - start at £250,000.

I'd be interested to know what Lady C thinks about this.
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

From last night's ComRes poll for the Daily Mail
Con 35% (+2)
Lab 32% (-1)
LD 9% (+1)
UKIP 14% (+1)
Green 4% (-3)
This would be a poll Ashcroft would be proud of : Low sample size and strange distribution
Weighted total 924 of which 189 (19%) didn't know or refused to answer
so CON 250 Lab 231 (UKIP by the way 112) so 19 preferences is turned into 3% lead
Age Group 25-34 Con lead by !%
Regional Scotland CON 13% LAB 17% LD 11% North CON 29% LAB 25% of which North East CON 40% LAB 22%
North West CON 31% LAB 22%
Wales CON 14% LAB 16% and from the opposite point of view London CON12% LAB 48% (LAB lead 36%???)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

rearofthestore wrote:From last night's ComRes poll for the Daily Mail
Con 35% (+2)
Lab 32% (-1)
LD 9% (+1)
UKIP 14% (+1)
Green 4% (-3)
This would be a poll Ashcroft would be proud of : Low sample size and strange distribution
so CON 250 Lab 231 (UKIP by the way 112) so 19 preferences is turned into 3% lead
Regional Scotland CON 13% LAB 17% LD 11% North CON 29% LAB 25% of which North East CON 40% LAB 22%
Wales CON 14% LAB 16% and from the opposite point of view London CON12% LAB 48% (LAB lead 36%???)
What is your best guess as to the correct figure? Do you think Labour is ahead in vote share?

I think Labour is slightly behind, around 1-2% at a guess. That still makes EM PM.

Constitutionally, a Labour minority government is perfectly legitimate, and for me getting the Tories out is the primary goal.

But.

If Labour get, say 34% of the vote, and are second largest party, a minority government reliant on SNP votes is, politically, difficult. Partcularly after Devo-More. Could it last for five years?

I suppose if it doesn't do anything controversial by way of legislation it could.

Or is this January 1974 again?
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

In contrast to ComRes today's YouGov has a large sample 2148 (Weighted and Unweighted)
Unweighted Labour lead by 1.5%
Weighted Labour lead by 0.7% which disappears after likelyhood to vote is taken into account.
Sample again disproportionately 60+
Labour lead substantially in every age group except 60+
The only other obvious anomaly seems to be in London Con lead Lab CON 40% LAB 38%
I would bet this is considerably more accurate than ComRes
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Con 35% (+2)
Lab 32% (-1)
LD 9% (+1)
UKIP 14% (+1)
Green 4% (-3)
Labour here will lose some to the grating 'Voice of Wales' Wood but they will do a hell of a lot better than 16%
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Con 35% (+2)
Lab 32% (-1)
LD 9% (+1)
UKIP 14% (+1)
Green 4% (-3)
What is your best guess as to the correct figure? Do you think Labour is ahead in vote share?

I think Labour is slightly behind, around 1-2% at a guess. That still makes EM PM.

Constitutionally, a Labour minority government is perfectly legitimate, and for me getting the Tories out is the primary goal.

But.

If Labour get, say 34% of the vote, and are second largest party, a minority government reliant on SNP votes is, politically, difficult. Partcularly after Devo-More. Could it last for five years?

I suppose if it doesn't do anything controversial by way of legislation it could.

If I was a betting man, which I am not, I would bet on an almost even vote split of around 33% each. I would also say despite my revulsion for UKIP I think they will poll higher than is currently being suggested as all the poll results I have seen have their share being reduced, often substantially, after weighting. However I advise no one to take my advice and bet on it!
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Spacedone wrote:
ephemerid wrote:If you live in social or council housing in the Borough of Wandsworth, and you are eligible for the Under Occupation Penalty, you might get a letter from the council offering new accommodation - in Birmingham.

How is that not considered an attempt at gerrymandering/social engineering?
...and what are the total costs (financial and human)? £5.5k to move....lost rent to local authority, presumably an unoccupied property to maintain (edited to add, following Ephies comment above) or sell off (presumably to a nice friendly non-dom landlord for private rental), loss of local/family support, worry and stress for parents about schooling etc etc....but if I'm not mistaken, this has been going on for at least 3 years...and, oh look - the 'Irritable Dim Sh1t' believes(TM) ...'But Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith said there were "thousands of houses" within five miles of Newham which fell within the cap'...

'Newham's mayor, Sir Robin Wales, blamed government policies which had left his borough "chasing around the country trying to find ways to deal with people who are in need". He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "We have got a waiting list of 32,000 - we've got hundreds of people looking for places to stay and the result of government benefit cuts, which are still working through as well, means that many more people from wealthier parts of London are looking for places to live in London and they're just not there.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17821018

...and what's this?...

The Independent* has published research showing that these things have made it harder for those on low incomes to afford housing in London - the area of the UK that has been hardest hit. The reforms and rising rents have led to accusations of 'social cleansing' - now given further weight with the news that more than 50,000 families have been forced out of their local communities in the capital and dumped in new neighbourhoods in outer London or out of the city completely.

http://www.unison.org.uk/news/unison-ca ... -cleansing

I'm still waiting for someone (in the MSM/TV) to challenge the 'it's not fair that someone should be able to live in a house with more bedrooms than they need (in our opinion) using Housing Benefit (paid directly to landlords)....so we've changed it and we think that's fair'...but...you thought employing Coulson was fair, ignoring direct orders from the Information Tribunal (NHS Risk Register) was fair, sending over 1 million fellow citizens to foodbanks was fair, accepting over £1m in donations from HSBC between you was fair, laughing in the face of MPs desperately trying to make the hardships of constituents count in parliament was fair....I'm going to stop now as I feel I'm starting to rant - suffice to say - here in Hope (just north of Peterborough and...what's that you say?...there's a landslide on it's way? :dance: ) following the installation of a Labour majority the 2 Eds will need more than just an emergency budget to save the NHS - they'll need immediate action on a range of things, including housing and housing benefit....and the MSM won't be able to avoid reporting more truthfully - I often wonder how they (the lickspittle journos) are going to write post-Mililandslide...I'm not quite sure how you can get a tone that is derisive about Labour, sycophantic about the Murkydochian Monsters, whilst reporting the reality of the last 5 years (and not what they've been told to think).

* they're (The Indy) still backing the Coalition of Cretinous Callousness, though eh?
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

rearofthestore wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
rearofthestore wrote:From last night's ComRes poll for the Daily Mail This would be a poll Ashcroft would be proud of : Low sample size and strange distribution

But.

If I was a betting man, which I am not, I would bet on an almost even vote split of around 33% each. I would also say despite my revulsion for UKIP I think they will poll higher than is currently being suggested as all the poll results I have seen have their share being reduced, often substantially, after weighting. However I advise no one to take my advice and bet on it!
You will, I'm sure, be unsurprised to hear that I disagree - Labour will poll between 38-40% with the Tories 25-30% (figures that are really just outside the 'margin for error')...I wish I'd bookmarked the link from someone here, showing the increase in Labour lead, the more people you poll....the polls being religiously quoted are small samples...tomorrow is a poll of a few more people.

(I know - I live in Hope etc....and you may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one!)
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

Lonewolfie wrote:
rearofthestore wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: What is your best guess as to the correct figure? Do you think Labour is ahead in vote share?

But.

You will, I'm sure, be unsurprised to hear that I disagree - Labour will poll between 38-40% with the Tories 25-30% (figures that are really just outside the 'margin for error')...I wish I'd bookmarked the link from someone here, showing the increase in Labour lead, the more people you poll....the polls being religiously quoted are small samples...tomorrow is a poll of a few more people.

(I know - I live in Hope etc....and you may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one!)
God I hope your right!
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

The Daily Heil are trying to persuade their readers to vote tactically. The readers respond by telling them to sod off!
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Lot of support for UKIP below the line, which is to be expected. What's refreshing though is the way there's a general consensus to tell the Mail to get stuffed in trying to dictate who they should vote for - plus disillusionment with the government.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I don't know how I'm going to cope. I'm so nervous. Thought I'd oil my sewing machine, but my hands are shaking so badly I shot WD40 all up the wall...I keep jumping up and sitting back down.

I don't know whether I'm on my arse or my elbow...
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Morning all.
Can't justify the travel time, don't think I'm wrong in saying every single one of them would have to fly in. :fire:
Surely not the editors though, TGS? Why, I'm sure All-aggro Stratton could do a deal at the breakfast table...what's that? The Speccie isn't a newspaper, so hubby's not an editor?...how about the Flame-haired Harpy? I'm sure she'd be more than happy to appear on national television to defend the media...oh...wait a minute :lol:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:I don't know how I'm going to cope. I'm so nervous. Thought I'd oil my sewing machine, but my hands are shaking so badly I shot WD40 all up the wall...I keep jumping up and sitting back down.

I'm the same, didn't sleep well and my stomach feels acid-y this morning.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

http://benjaminstudebaker.com/category/economics/
This is well worth a read. This guy is an American academic who wrote a piece on his blog about the many failings (specifically regarding economics) of the UK government and how it'd be a disaster if they were re-elected. Much to his surprise it went semi viral on Twitter - one consequence of which was a bombardment of what he terms 'terrible Tory counter arguments'.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

ohsocynical wrote:I don't know how I'm going to cope. I'm so nervous. Thought I'd oil my sewing machine, but my hands are shaking so badly I shot WD40 all up the wall...I keep jumping up and sitting back down.

"Calm down dear, calm down" in my best David Cameron voice. Oh shit, did I say that out loud, ohso?
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Spacedone wrote:Headline on the Telegraph site is...

David Cameron to declare victory on Friday without a coalition deal

Cancel the election, Cameron's already decided who won. :toss:
Errr......ummmm.....errr...he might 'declare' victory....but no-one will be listening.

The British people must come together and unite against the prospect of a Labour-SNP government which will “tear our nation apart”, Sir John Major says. The former Conservative prime minister’s warning came as Nicola Sturgeon, the SNP leader, boasted that she would be “sitting across the table from Ed Miliband” on Friday discussing how to put him in office.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general ... Major.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...but in other news (on the same day)...

'In a devastating assessment Major said: “We need to acknowledge the fact we have a pretty substantial underclass and there are parts of our country where we have people who have not worked for two generations and whose children do not expect to work. How can it be that in a nation that is the fifth richest nation in the world, that in the United Kingdom we have four of the poorest areas in Europe? "By Europe I include Eastern Europe in that question.” The recording of Major’s speech, delivered only eight days ago, comes 24 hours before voters go to the polls in the closest election race for a generation.'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/to ... 77#rlabs=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm hopeful (sorry - there's that word again) we'll be discussing the bringing of criminal negligence charges and possibly even manslaughter against the more horrendous members of the Bastard Coalition (not convinced that hope will win that one though)
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

RobertSnozers wrote:Here's a link to today's front pages for those of a strong constitution who haven't seen them yet and wish to. I would call The Sun's a new low, but their standards are such that a new low would be difficult to achieve. In any event, make sure you're sitting down

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs/the_papers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Quite, Robert. 'And I had meant to include stuff hiding in the long grass in my earlier rant. Leveson, child abuse, unpublished reports, etc. but never did get started until just before I posted. Oh well.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The Mail's front page seems odd, on one hand talking about tactical voting, vehemently anti-Labour, and yet front paging massive problems in GP services that have fermented under the Tories.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Alastair Campbell ‏@campbellclaret 25m25 minutes ago
Every @UKLabour supporter should set a simple challenge today. Find two undecided voters in work, family or randomly, and win them over. Now
Working on the wild side.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

RobertSnozers wrote:Here's a link to today's front pages for those of a strong constitution who haven't seen them yet and wish to. I would call The Sun's a new low, but their standards are such that a new low would be difficult to achieve. In any event, make sure you're sitting down

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs/the_papers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh dear, that Daily Mail front page. "Don't let this zealot* in, we'll show you how to vote tactically" at the top of the page, a stonkingly good reason why people should vote to let that zealot in filling the rest of the page. Is there such a thing as a "shooting themselves in the foot" emoticon?

* Another none too subtle dig at Ed's religious background of course.

Edited to say - Yahyah .....snap!!
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

yahyah wrote:

I'm the same, didn't sleep well and my stomach feels acid-y this morning.

Yep - same here too!

Like the surfers say, "It's a ride, dude".

How I wish I was well enough to get out on my board. And fall off a lot, as per.

It'd tire me out and the ocean would wash away this horrible grubbiness we're being bombarded with.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Debbie Abrahams ‏@Debbie_abrahams 39m39 minutes ago
UC a disaster! See NAO. As part of UC Govt piloting sanctions of ppl in work on low pay receiving tax credits. Making work pay? @BBCr4today
Did anyone hear this?
Tonibel
Backbencher

Post by Tonibel »

Hello. Sorry I don't contribute here more often but I do read all your comments and learn a lot. I wanted to thank you all for keeping me informed and (fairly) calm in what has been a bit of a rollercoaster over the last few weeks

I'm goingtogowith Lonewolfie. I think (and hope and pray) Ed is going to do well, and much better in Scotland than expected, but keep your lions griddled cos I think that will only be the beginning of the battle.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

See you later.

Am also nervous because my husband's going for aortic aneurysm screening today.
I know it is just precautionary, but when my anxiety receptors are stimulated everything gets me twitchy.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Lonewolfie wrote:... I'm hopeful (sorry - there's that word again) we'll be discussing the bringing of criminal negligence charges and possibly even manslaughter against the more horrendous members of the Bastard Coalition (not convinced that hope will win that one though)
Well there is still this, Lonewolfie, United Nations Probing UK Over 'Grave' Human Rights Violations Of Disabled: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/08 ... 27580.html. Not that anything happened over Racquel Rolnik's report other than stern words from Grant and Zahawi and that letterfrom Michael, Sebastian or whoever, Chairman of the Conservative Party of course... on their headed paper too. Another example of what Dave deems acceptable behaviour, eh?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Anthony Wells has done a big and detailed seats forecast on UK Polling Report.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9377" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He rounds up with
As it is though, my personal best guess is Conservatives around 277 seats, Labour around 267, the Lib Dems around 29 and the SNP around 52. I’ll revisit those once we have the final polls.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

...and another thing (OK, 2 things :oops: )....

Why the f*****g f****ty f*** is OGRFG & PFPT allowed to get away with all that bollocks (his 'trust me' mantra - halved the deficit (depending on how you count it), 2m jobs (blatant lie) and 'I've got a note on a bit of paper that shows that I inherited a mess'...didn't Bogdanor say he was bright? So he's aware that he's lying through his teeth but the worst crime is no-one heckling with the truth...I did think perhaps the lady asking the question might have given it some wellie...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/da ... ar_twitter

(I'm aware it's probably been linked before, so apologies if so)

...and...

'I am the grand-daughter of an English woman. I love England and her people and, regardless of politics, consider you to be family...and always will.
I hope nobody in England is afraid of the SNP - there is absolutely no need to be,' she said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -body.html

Dear Ms Surging

We are not 'afraid' of the SNP...we just do not want a continuation of the 'rule by Murdoch' which is all you have.

Yours
An old undeconstructed Marxist-collectivist gruntfuttock.

TTFN (HTBBL)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
yahyah wrote:See you later.

Am also nervous because my husband's going for aortic aneurysm screening today.
I know it is just precautionary, but when my anxiety receptors are stimulated everything gets me twitchy.
Will be thinking of you and keeping everything crossed yahyah
Yes, same here, good luck to you both.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodmorfternoon (and a belated goodnight - sorry). As I mentioned yesterday, I'm a bit nervy and I notice that people here appear to be likewise.

@yahyah

Best wishes.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

John McDonnell retweeted
LEAP ‏@LEAPeconomics 10h10 hours ago
MUST READ letter to appear in tomorrow's @guardian "I fear for our people if Cameron gets back in" - @johnmcdonnellMP http://bit.ly/1KeS7vY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I fear for our people if Cameron gets back in" - John McDonnell
http://leapeconomics.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... -gets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Home for Someone.jpg
Home for Someone.jpg (37.94 KiB) Viewed 12211 times
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The Guardian Election Blog provides a suggested timetable for events to stay up for tomorrow night\Friday morning. If anyone's nerves can take it.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

utopiandreams wrote:
Lonewolfie wrote:... I'm hopeful (sorry - there's that word again) we'll be discussing the bringing of criminal negligence charges and possibly even manslaughter against the more horrendous members of the Bastard Coalition (not convinced that hope will win that one though)
Well there is still this, Lonewolfie, United Nations Probing UK Over 'Grave' Human Rights Violations Of Disabled: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/08 ... 27580.html. Not that anything happened over Racquel Rolnik's report other than stern words from Grant and Zahawi and that letterfrom Michael, Sebastian or whoever, Chairman of the Conservative Party of course... on their headed paper too. Another example of what Dave deems acceptable behaviour, eh?
Quite right....and, assuming the implementation of Leveson in double-quick time post-Mililandslide, a lot of unpicking to be done, of contracts, donations, links to non-dom criminality etc...the press forced to tell the truth (or at least not blatantly lie)...I'm with Tonibel above as well though - May the 8th will be the start of the battle, but at least we'll have a bit more firepower on our side.

...and good luck to you both, Yah Yah

(Definitely going now)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

What?
Dan Hodges @DPJHodges · 9m 9 minutes ago
Tomorrow I'm voting Labour. But if I lived in South Thanet I'd be voting Tory, and not thinking twice about it.
:o

After spending years rubbishing the Labour leader he comes out with that?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

London needs a Labour government
The more Labour MPs the capital elects and the fewer Conservative, the better for the city and for the country as a whole

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/dave ... government" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good stuff from Dave Hill.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RobertSnozers wrote:OK, prediction time just to get it out of the way. I think Labour will win around 40 seats from the Tories and ten from LibDems but lose all 41 Scottish seats, leaving them with around 267-69. The Tories will lose the 40-odd to Labour but gain around five from the LibDems leaving them on 270-72. The LibDems will have, on that basis, and the inevitable losses to the SNP, have 30-32, which will be a strong enough performance in the face of potential wipeout that Clegg will easily retain the leadership. Lord only knows where this leaves us as the only arithmetic that would command a majority would be Lab+SNP+LibDem. I don't think the Tories can get to a majority.

As to what happens next, I don't want to say as it scares the living daylights out of me.

Edited: previously forgot to account for LibDem losses to SNP
Con 279
Lab 272
LD 27
SNP 46
Ukip 3

Or something like that. That, just, puts EM in no 10.

I can't imagine Labour doing worse than that. Labour minority government.

Despite the criticisms, I think the polls will be largely right, and I don't expect any late movements. There hasn't been any Cleggmania style movement at all this time, they have been wholly static. Nothing has changed for months.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:What?
Dan Hodges @DPJHodges · 9m 9 minutes ago
Tomorrow I'm voting Labour. But if I lived in South Thanet I'd be voting Tory, and not thinking twice about it.
:o

After spending years rubbishing the Labour leader he comes out with that?
I've stopped looking at just about any and everything he utters or writes. It's all basically - look at me, how shocking I can be.

Let us hope the Ukip vote does not go above the threshold he's set for doing a streak down Whitehall. Please.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

My view, and I hope this is not just wishful thinking, is that Labour will do better than the polls predict, both in England and Scotland. That's because so many large groups of people who do not usually vote have been hit hard and deliberately by the coalition. I'm not sure that polling companies deal with these groups well.

I don't trust the polling companies and don't believe they are interested in revealing an accurate picture so much as laying the ground for a tory win.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Above all, if the tories lose thirty or forty seats - perhaps many more, given the state of play in the marginals - they won't be part of the next government, unless they mount some sort of media-backed coup d'etat.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Willow - managed to persuade two people to vote Labour in Somerset NE yesterday - they both live in Batheaston.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

SpinningHugo wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:OK, prediction time just to get it out of the way. I think Labour will win around 40 seats from the Tories and ten from LibDems but lose all 41 Scottish seats, leaving them with around 267-69. The Tories will lose the 40-odd to Labour but gain around five from the LibDems leaving them on 270-72. The LibDems will have, on that basis, and the inevitable losses to the SNP, have 30-32, which will be a strong enough performance in the face of potential wipeout that Clegg will easily retain the leadership. Lord only knows where this leaves us as the only arithmetic that would command a majority would be Lab+SNP+LibDem. I don't think the Tories can get to a majority.

As to what happens next, I don't want to say as it scares the living daylights out of me.

Edited: previously forgot to account for LibDem losses to SNP
Con 279
Lab 272
LD 27
SNP 46
Ukip 3

Or something like that. That, just, puts EM in no 10.

I can't imagine Labour doing worse than that. Labour minority government.

Despite the criticisms, I think the polls will be largely right, and I don't expect any late movements. There hasn't been any Cleggmania style movement at all this time, they have been wholly static. Nothing has changed for months.
Except, of course, the methodology used by said polling companies.