Thursday 7th May

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 7th May

Post by citizenJA »

mikems wrote:I expect their servers are being overwhelmed.

If turnout is up, then we can be hopeful, imo. Last time tories got 36.7 of 65.5 turnout, with tories turning out in large numbers. But if turnout is 80%, and their current polling rarely higher than 35%, they will need to increase their absolute vote totals by large margins; yet there seems little chance of that, with the new cohorts of voters being less likely to vote tory than older voters.

And, of course, this increase is likely to be the return of Labour supporters to the polls after sitting out the last election in large numbers.
Thank you, Mikems. I agree with you.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

StephenDolan wrote:If the polling stations aren't closing at 10pm if there's still people queuing to vote, isn't there a slight issue with the 10pm exit polling announcements?

There could be - as the polling stations are not allowed to close until those waiting at 10pm have voted.

Last time there was a serious issue with people who had waited to vote from before 10pm being turned away when the polls closed at 10 on the dot - that can't happen this time, so it could cause a problem for the pollsters.

Not that I care - I'd much rather people who queue to vote get their vote than a few exit polls being late.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

ephemerid wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:If the polling stations aren't closing at 10pm if there's still people queuing to vote, isn't there a slight issue with the 10pm exit polling announcements?

There could be - as the polling stations are not allowed to close until those waiting at 10pm have voted.

Last time there was a serious issue with people who had waited to vote from before 10pm being turned away when the polls closed at 10 on the dot - that can't happen this time, so it could cause a problem for the pollsters.

Not that I care - I'd much rather people who queue to vote get their vote than a few exit polls being late.
I have said before that those students who were denied their opportunity to vote for Clegg in Hallam must have subsequently counted themselves very lucky :twisted:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Done my bit, early, I usually think it doesn't matter too much living in a solid Labour seat, and with FPTP it doesn't so much, but with "legitimacy" coming into everyday electoral speak it does.

Good luck in your seat, wherever you are, no one has a God given, and no one is born to rule, bias aside, the coalition do not deserve another chance, Cameron's shower and his two-faced colleagues. Anyone who thinks they done enough doesn't live in my world.

Kick the bastards out.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 4 mins4 minutes ago

LAB 3% boost in Ashcroft is same as ICM. ComRes final poll up 2% same trend
:D :clap: :dance:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
WelshIan
Committee Member

Post by WelshIan »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
WelshIan wrote:Morning All,

A couple of questions:

Will the SNP support the implementation of Leveson, if Labour have to rely on them?

I seem to remember that if Labour and the Tories have the same percentage voter share, then Labour gets more seats? If it is neck and neck in the polls then shouldn't this mean that Labour have more seats, or are we having to discount Scottish seats lost to the SNP?
YouGov claim the swing in the marginals is only 2.5%, although the basis for this claim is unclear. It may be based on the Midlands sample of their last large poll.

This would give the Tories a seats advantage.

Kellner and other forecasts are assuming the polls are wrong and the Tories actually have a 3% lead.

I note that ICM showed Labour at +4 before adjusting down to level pegging.
Thanks.

Kellner, president of YouGov, thinks the polls are wrong? I'm not sure what to make of that!

I was quite heartened by the pre-adjustment of that ICM poll. ICM were one of the most accurate in 2010:
http://www.may2015.com/featured/electio ... -the-past/
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Did some leafleting in Norwich North yesterday where Jess Asato stands a good chance of ousting the hapless Chloe Smith. Daresay will be doing some last minute leafleting later. Leaflets look pretty striking - emphasising the danger facing the NHS.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Toby Latimer sends his love to "the nesters"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:Toby Latimer sends his love to "the nesters"
Love to you, Toby Latimer.
xx
cJA
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

So Ashcroft's last poll which has a huge sample is much more believable.
Final Ashcroft National Poll, 3k sample, 5-6 May: CON 33%, LAB 33%, LDEM 10%, UKIP 11%, GRN 6%.
I get the feeling that all these polls with big samples (which show the Labour vote increasing or stabilising whilst the Conservative vote is decreasing slightly) are actually the truth whilst the previous polls of most pollsters, in which the distribution was at best bizarre and worst crooked, were being produced to influence opinion not measure it.
Only when we get to two days before the event do they all show what is actually happening, not because they want to, for if they didn't they would be ridiculed when the final results appear. Now, if the results stack up, the can all claim to be accurate and not be subject to scrutiny. But they should IMO.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Do give him my best wishes should the opportunity arise, please. It would be good to see him here, today of all days.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Final Ashcroft poll
Final Ashcroft National Poll: Con 33%, Lab 33%, Lib Dem 10%, UKIP 11%, Green 6%
Sample size 3000

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2015/05/fi ... a-71626413
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

WelshIan wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

A couple of questions:

Will the SNP support the implementation of Leveson, if Labour have to rely on them?

I seem to remember that if Labour and the Tories have the same percentage voter share, then Labour gets more seats? If it is neck and neck in the polls then shouldn't this mean that Labour have more seats, or are we having to discount Scottish seats lost to the SNP?
YouGov claim the swing in the marginals is only 2.5%, although the basis for this claim is unclear. It may be based on the Midlands sample of their last large poll.

Kellner and other forecasts are assuming the polls are wrong and the Tories actually have a 3% lead.

Thanks.

Kellner, president of YouGov, thinks the polls are wrong? I'm not sure what to make of that!

I was quite heartened by the pre-adjustment of that ICM poll. ICM were one of the most accurate in 2010:
Dr Éoin Clarke ‏@LabourEoin 22 mins22 minutes ago
Late Swing is Labour's..........

*Ashcroft Lab +3%
ICM - Lab +3%
YouGov London Lab +2%
YouGov National Lab +1%
BMG Lab +2%
ComRes Lab +2%
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

There's been some fantastically good and funny photos and cartoons on Twitter. Every time I laugh at one, I miss Toby's input on here.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Morning all.

The polling station was very busy when I dropped in after the school run at 8.45am. It seems quite a small thing when you actually vote and then I always panic afterwards that I didn't put my cross in the right place! It didn't help that I was completely thrown when the first ballot I was given was for the parish council - I didn't know there was a parish as well as a district vote this time. I was told I could pick up to 17, with nothing to go on but names as it's a non-partisan council, no parties. So I was stood in the polling booth for some time trying to spot the couple of people I knew who would be standing, identifying them from first names and hoping I'd got the right ones! Anyway, I'm pretty sure I put all my crosses in the right places, I did check twice and I hope my friends (whose surnames I checked on my e-mail when I got home and found I'd got the right ones) make it back onto the parish council. I volunteer with them at the local library and they're lovely people who do so much for the village it would be a shame if they didn't get voted on. Normally in villages like mine they end up co-opting people because of a lack of interest so the parish vote really took me by surprise.

Fingers crossed for Ed Miliband, Todd Foreman, Oliver Coppard and Margaret Greenwood (against McVey).

Hope Scotland has a change of heart and the rest of England and Wales discover they have one.

I really, really want the smiles wiped off the faces of all the pollsters and right-wing media who seem to think that there will still be a swingback to the Tories even though people are telling them different.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

But then apparently the swing to Labour is lower in the marginals, more like 3-3.5% according to Anthony Wells, though that was a few days ago, and maybe it's even lower now.
I see this figure now quite a lot, but struggle to understand what it means. For starters, it depends on whether you include all the seats that could be possibly described as marginal and thus an average of them all would show a lower figure than if you just took half the marginals, or just a quarter, or just the most contested ten or twenty, etc, etc. The fewer you choose to look at, the higher Labour vote will be, according to the actual subsets published, though it was a while ago now. This 3.5% figure has been arrived at as ever more deciles of marginals have been polled, unsurprisingly finding a lower margin in favour of Labour the higher up the deciles the pollsters look, when they are all lumped together.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

mikems wrote:
But then apparently the swing to Labour is lower in the marginals, more like 3-3.5% according to Anthony Wells, though that was a few days ago, and maybe it's even lower now.
I see this figure now quite a lot, but struggle to understand what it means. For starters, it depends on whether you include all the seats that could be possibly described as marginal and thus an average of them all would show a lower figure than if you just took half the marginals, or just a quarter, or just the most contested ten or twenty, etc, etc. The fewer you choose to look at, the higher Labour vote will be, according to the actual subsets published, though it was a while ago now. This 3.5% figure has been arrived at as ever more deciles of marginals have been polled, unsurprisingly finding a lower margin in favour of Labour the higher up the deciles the pollsters look, when they are all lumped together.
Well, now I really am confused........ :|
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

frightful_oik wrote:Well, I've done my bit.
AK may know this. Are we expecting Lab to make gains or losses in the local elections?
It depends to a large extent on what the GE result is, tbh.

But back in 2011 both Tories and Labour made gains as the LibDems slumped - even then though, their "national share" was about 16% so further losses for the yellows are quite possible today. Lab/Tories then neck or neck or Tories fractionally ahead (depending on which "projection" you believe) so Labour council gains are possible if the main event goes well.

(though personally speaking, we shouldn't have any other elections on GE day - have all English councils as "all outs" every 4 years as in Wales, Scotland and NI)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

The splendid Harry Leslie Smith, vocal Labour supporter, is upset this morning.

The BBC, running a documentary for VE Day called the Greatest Generation, has cut his interview in it out completely.

I'd like to know why. I can guess, though.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

WelshIan wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

A couple of questions:

Thanks.

Labour also about 3% ahead in the YouGov "megapoll" before weighting and turnout "adjustments".

Most polls still seem to be assuming that Tory voters are more likely to turn out. If that *isn't* the case, I am certain that Ed will be PM by next week at the latest.

Get out and vote!
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

I've a lot of things to get through today, but when I leave the flat, my first trip is going to be up the road to the nearby church where I will put in my vote. As I've said before, it's solid Labour here anyway, in Denton & Reddish, with Andrew Gwynne estimated to get 60% of the vote, but even though I'm not a natural Labour voter (yet), I want my vote to count towards this spurious and frankly ridiculous issue of 'legitimacy' that the bastard Tories are going to squeal tomorrow, come what may.

Anyway, whilst links to music are not really the done thing on FTN, I think you'll agree me that this is the song for the day:
The truth ferret speaks!
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Missing nesters, presumably someone has news of how they are:

Giselle, Adrian, Ernst, Temulkar and I think several more, you are all missed and I for one would be delighted if you dropped by and said hello.

And. Toby who, did! You have been missed.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Did anyone else get an email from the Torygraph this morning pleading with them to vote Tory?
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
WelshIan
Committee Member

Post by WelshIan »

seeingclearly wrote:
mikems wrote:
Well, now I really am confused........ :|
I think it means that you will get a different % swing to Labour depending on the number of seats you class as marginal.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@mbc1955

There's nothing wrong with a musical link. We do have them here from time to time - they're not frowned upon, so far as I'm aware. Link away!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Hurrah! Much love to TL, too :hug:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Well, it all makes perfect sense to me!
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
WelshIan wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: YouGov claim the swing in the marginals is only 2.5%, although the basis for this claim is unclear. It may be based on the Midlands sample of their last large poll.

Thanks.

Labour also about 3% ahead in the YouGov "megapoll" before weighting and turnout "adjustments".

Most polls still seem to be assuming that Tory voters are more likely to turn out. If that *isn't* the case, I am certain that Ed will be PM by next week at the latest.

Get out and vote!
isn't it the case that in all previous GE's Labour sympathisers have been less likely to vote than Tory?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Want to scare yourself?

Try

http://www.ncpolitics.uk/2015/05/shy-to ... 2015.html/

I don't believe it.

With regard to the betting, even the bookies don't believe the odds they are offering

Labour largest party looks value at 4/1, given the polls. If they are accurate, Labour is largest.

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/bri ... most-seats
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:
WelshIan wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: YouGov claim the swing in the marginals is only 2.5%, although the basis for this claim is unclear. It may be based on the Midlands sample of their last large poll.

Thanks.

Dr Éoin Clarke ‏@LabourEoin 22 mins22 minutes ago
Late Swing is Labour's..........

*Ashcroft Lab +3%
ICM - Lab +3%
YouGov London Lab +2%
YouGov National Lab +1%
BMG Lab +2%
ComRes Lab +2%
Oh yes please! We don't have a fingers-crossed smiley so will go with :zen:
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Just seen the footage of SamCam going off to vote.

Sam dressed in a nurse's uniform so clearly she is his carer.

He is POINTING AT STUFF.

Police. Armoured car. 2 well-'ard-looking Protection Squad officers with them on the way in, while they're in, and on the way out.

2 voters pushed aside so the Cams get full photo-opps, maximum security, and for Dave, POINTING AT STUFF.

Marvellous.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

seeingclearly wrote:Missing nesters, presumably someone has news of how they are:

Giselle, Adrian, Ernst, Temulkar and I think several more, you are all missed and I for one would be delighted if you dropped by and said hello.

And. Toby who, did! You have been missed.

And Herons Flight, the lovely HindleA (who I really miss and deeply regret being rude to) and TSGO.

If any of you pop in to see what we're up to, please come back.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

SpinningHugo wrote:Want to scare yourself?

Try

I don't believe it.

With regard to the betting, even the bookies don't believe the odds they are offering

Labour largest party looks value at 4/1, given the polls. If they are accurate, Labour is largest.

I flagged this last night.

However the polls are already adjusted down for Labour. The late swing such as it is happens to be towards Labour. I also think that there isn't any reason for Tories to be shy. The media, the establishment and all the papers are trumpeting vote Tory.

This was not the case in 92.

Also their line about locals ignores the fact we don't have a swing against from Tories to Labour (virtually no switchers) we have a fracturing of the Lib Dem vote, primarily to the left. Tory losses have been large but are offset by large gains from the Lib Dems.

The Lib Dem losses have been huge. Despite the multi party aspects in the rUK there is a move back to two party politics and away from the three party model in play since 1981.
Release the Guardvarks.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

School meeting first thing so went and voted afterwards. I was the only one in there but pointed out where it was to a couple of people coming down the road afterwards.

Our HT said that his kids' school was closed despite them only using a single hall for it - wasn't sure what parents would have made of that....not much as they get fined for taking kids out of school but don't get anything back if the school closes. We have a separate entrance to the nursery so managed to keep the school open.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

truss.jpg
truss.jpg (220.26 KiB) Viewed 9173 times
Something everyone should keep in mind. (Hope this doesn't mess up the parameters?!)

What a pity Truss is unlikely to lose her seat, despite the fact even her own side don't like her (witness the Turnip Taliban's attempt to deselect her over her affair with Tory MP Mark Field).
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Sorry folks for going on but feel that it's a little more acceptable here than in the G, so here's something I posted in conversation with someone but with some additional thoughts added...

I appreciate this isn't election related but further to our conversation about perceived racism, I just thought I add this here, catslovelivemice, rather than buried in an old nest. I have been out and have only just returned.

Anyway what particularly galled me about the Pakistani/Indian prejudices, other than separation by time and geography, was that one of the Indian descent lads' family was here via Uganda. He was a classmate of my youngest in primary school and his family had lived very close to my late wife during her childhood and had built up their lives and business from scratch having arrived with nothing. I can't speak for the other except that he was the son of a doctor. Despite my best efforts to establish peace they both left some time later through stress related to their treatment.

I felt particularly upset by such outcome because I had myself been subjected to not insubstantial abuse during my own childhood in the fifties. Indeed had even explained the like to the Pakistani lads when they repeatedly brought up the race card whenever chastised for anything at all.

I should just add that individually the lads of Pakistani origin were extremely likeable. So let's just say that I am averse to groupthink.

Now get out there and give the Tories their comeuppance. #GetEdDay

Addendum: I guess I was lucky that I was taught to box from quite an early age. I say lucky, not quite as much as my brother who although very similar to me in appearance is fair so never received the abuse that I had, only second-hand by association. I was initially taught to run away or avoid conflict when bullied, even advised by my blonde, blue-eyed mother to tell such assailants (especiallyy after Sunday School) that I was the same colour as Jesus. No prizes for guessing how that went down!

Anyway, my Dad wasn't an expert boxer but the younger brother of my namesake and uncle, a Spitfire pilot who was shot down and killed over Burma shortly before the end of the war. Like so many others of his generation, only 19 at the time. He was a champion boxer at his weight including All India champion of the forces as well as a variety of other trophies I have seen. Anyway being at a boarding school my poor Dad used to get pushed into the ring because of his brother's reputation.

I must say that thereon I was able to hold my own even if outnumbered. What I do remember however with greater regret is my sister, three years my junior and similarly swarthy, although as a youngster not quite as dark as I because I had regular sun-ray treatment for mild rickets. Anyway my Mum once found her in tears in the bath, scrubbing herself to the point of bleeding.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Try

I don't believe it.

There was absolutely *no* evidence for "shy Tories" at the last GE - which is arguably the most relevant comparison.

Many of the other examples cited are lower turnout elections where the greater propensity of Tories to vote means they "outperform" polls (though not always by much)

If we are looking for "shy" voters, how about "shy UKIPpers"?

(backed up by the Heywood/Middleton by-election, arguably)

Or "shy unionists" (especially Lab) in Scotland. Or, indeed, in at least some places "shy LibDems"??
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

ephemerid wrote:The splendid Harry Leslie Smith, vocal Labour supporter, is upset this morning.

The BBC, running a documentary for VE Day called the Greatest Generation, has cut his interview in it out completely.

I'd like to know why. I can guess, though.
That's disgraceful.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Try

I don't believe it.

Unless the pollsters have stopped adjusting for "shy Tories", haven't the potential of "shy Tories" to skew the polls already been taken care of? The predictions last time for both Tory and Labour were within the margin of error, they weren't far off. It was only the Libdems that were out by more than margin of error, with an unprecedented surge predicted which didn't happen. It's the new patterns that are the least predictable, imo, which means Scotland, where we can probably rely least on the polls to accurately predict how many seats with accuracy, all we can know is that the SNP are going to do well and Labour badly, but by how much we really will just have to wait and see.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

I voted weeks ago and it's really strange watching all the excited declarations by those that have just voted.

Lots of reports of people finding themselves unable to vote because they weren't registered correctly. Hackney seems to be reporting figures into the hundreds & I cannot begin to imagine what the overall total might be by the day's end.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Go on twitter, type in pencil and discover hundreds of kippers urging people to vote using a pen so that their vote cannot be changed.

And these people get a vote too.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

RobertSnozers wrote:
ephemerid wrote:Just seen the footage of SamCam going off to vote.

Sam dressed in a nurse's uniform so clearly she is his carer.

He is POINTING AT STUFF.

Police. Armoured car. 2 well-'ard-looking Protection Squad officers with them on the way in, while they're in, and on the way out.

2 voters pushed aside so the Cams get full photo-opps, maximum security, and for Dave, POINTING AT STUFF.

Marvellous.
Seriously?? She was dressed as a nurse?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... e-for.html

Certainly looks like it. (Apologies for link to the Heil)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Final IPSOS-MORI poll

Con 36 (+1)
Lab 35 (+5)
UKIP 11 (+1)
Lib Dem 8 (-)
Green 5 (-3)

Edit to add - The graun are saying this is Con -1 but the info on Britain Elects' twitter feed says +1
I still believe in a town called Hope
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

adam wrote:Final IPSOS-MORI poll

Con 36 (+1)
Lab 35 (+5)
UKIP 11 (+1)
Lib Dem 8 (-)
Green 5 (-3)

Edit to add - The graun are saying this is Con -1 but the info on Britain Elects' twitter feed says +1
Is that a Labour swing or are Ipsos-Mori just doing a bit of last minute damage limitation? I suspect all the recent outlier big Tory leads were a case of manipulation and now the chips are down the real story is emerging and it's the same as the old story - neck and neck like it has been since the autumn. This election is going to come down to one thing. The undecideds and whether they vote at all.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Morning all,

Hectic morning so far and this is meant to be the quiet bit! Anyway, just want to wish you all well. I'll be at the count tonight and tomorrow morning so not sure I'll have a chance to read let alone post but I'll be thinking of you all. Lets hope tomorrow brings a bright new dawn. See you on the other side!
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tizme1 wrote:Morning all,

Hectic morning so far and this is meant to be the quiet bit! Anyway, just want to wish you all well. I'll be at the count tonight and tomorrow morning so not sure I'll have a chance to read let alone post but I'll be thinking of you all. Lets hope tomorrow brings a bright new dawn. See you on the other side!
Thank you. All good wishes to you, too. I admire your stamina!
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

adam wrote:Final IPSOS-MORI poll

Con 36 (+1)
Lab 35 (+5)
UKIP 11 (+1)
Lib Dem 8 (-)
Green 5 (-3)

The previous IM poll was

CON 35 (+2); LAB 30 (-5); LIB DEM 8 (+1); UKIP 10 (nc)

so it's Con +1, Lab +5, Ukip +1, LD nc

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpubl ... lines.aspx

edit to correct my sums ! :lol:
Last edited by pk1 on Thu 07 May, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.politico.eu/article/the-brit ... s-lost-it/
Only one thing is for sure. This is the election during which Britain’s press ‘lost it.’

The press just haven’t reflected reality, let alone the views of their readers. For months polls have put Conservatives and Labour close with about third of the vote each, and smaller parties destined to hold some balance of power. But there has been no balance in the papers. Tracked by Election Unspun, the coverage has been unremittingly hostile to Ed Miliband, the Labour challenger, with national newspapers backing the Conservative incumbent, David Cameron over Labour by a ratio of five to one.
What the presses' behaviour tells me is that the press owners believe Ed Miliband means business. I, for one, sincerely hope he gets in and we get to find out if they're right! Even if Ed disappoints in some ways, I can't see him passing up the opportunity to reform our press, if he gets half a chance, and that would be a very fine thing indeed.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tizme1 wrote:Morning all,

Love to you, your family & community, Tizme1.
xx
cJA
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Right, that's all my morning duties done (stopping whilst I still have some voice and a little brain left!) so I'm off for nap of some description before I get ready to get down to the polling station (do remember to vote, woman!) and the local campaign centre for the evening 'til polls close. I'll be back here for the night shift, attempting to type with fingers crossed as the results start rolling in...

Good luck everyone :heart: :hug: :rock: