Thursday 7th May

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 7th May

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton @georgeeaton · 1h 1 hour ago
More than 2,000 people signed up to Downing Street protest if Cameron remains PM despite clear absence of pro-Tory majority.
There have been quite a few things recently that have gone some way to boosting my faith in the UK public ...

If he does try to cling on without good reason he's the person who will be scrabbling around looking illegitimate.
Working on the wild side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:The Electoral Commission piece I found also says:

There should be no more than one teller at a polling station for each
campaigner/candidate/party at any time. Where a polling place contains
more than one polling station with separate entrances, it may be appropriate
for there to be tellers at each entrance, but no more than one per
campaigner/candidate/party.

So again, the five SNP people seem to be flouting the rules.
The Tory may be said to be following them more carefully.
Whoops! the Conservatives had two at our polling station.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I :heart: Rowson
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire 1h1 hour ago
Must be bad when @David_Cameron feels the need to tell us he and the missus voted Con

"Samantha & I voting Conservative this morning, so that everyone can have security whatever stage of life they are at."
:lol:

Am I the only one to find that a bit weird - and with something of the intimidatory about it?
I mean. Who was he going to vote for? Labour? Hell yes...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Dr Éoin Clarke ‏@LabourEoin 8m8 minutes ago
Latest Ipsos Mori poll says that there has been an 8% swing back to Labour from the Tories in the C2 Social Classification.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Jason Beattie ‏@JBeattieMirror 10m10 minutes ago
Wouldn't go so far as saying it's the only result I care about but the car has passed the MoT. #onemoreyear
Know how he feels.

Didn't the Greens debate a policy to banish all cars ?
No worries about MOTs if they got their way.
It'd be roller skates and a windmill on your head, much cheaper.
Grannies on skateboards....Yayyyyyyyyyyy.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I'm just off out, but wondering has anyone heard from Ernst since his last message? Getting a bit worried about him, though he could just be out with Labour on the streets...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Dr Éoin Clarke ‏@LabourEoin 8m8 minutes ago
Latest Ipsos Mori poll says that there has been an 8% swing back to Labour from the Tories in the C2 Social Classification.
Oh, hell, yes! That's skilled working class.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

AngryAsWell wrote:I'm just off out, but wondering has anyone heard from Ernst since his last message? Getting a bit worried about him, though he could just be out with Labour on the streets...

Didn't like to pry but thought it was family matters.
Hope all is ok chez Remarx.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

utopiandreams wrote:Sorry folks for going on but feel that it's a little more acceptable here than in the G, so here's something I posted in conversation with someone but with some additional thoughts added...

I appreciate this isn't election related but further to our conversation about perceived racism, I just thought I add this here, catslovelivemice, rather than buried in an old nest. I have been out and have only just returned.

Anyway what particularly galled me about the Pakistani/Indian prejudices, other than separation by time and geography, was that one of the Indian descent lads' family was here via Uganda. He was a classmate of my youngest in primary school and his family had lived very close to my late wife during her childhood and had built up their lives and business from scratch having arrived with nothing. I can't speak for the other except that he was the son of a doctor. Despite my best efforts to establish peace they both left some time later through stress related to their treatment.

I felt particularly upset by such outcome because I had myself been subjected to not insubstantial abuse during my own childhood in the fifties. Indeed had even explained the like to the Pakistani lads when they repeatedly brought up the race card whenever chastised for anything at all.

I should just add that individually the lads of Pakistani origin were extremely likeable. So let's just say that I am averse to groupthink.

Now get out there and give the Tories their comeuppance. #GetEdDay

Addendum: I guess I was lucky that I was taught to box from quite an early age. I say lucky, not quite as much as my brother who although very similar to me in appearance is fair so never received the abuse that I had, only second-hand by association. I was initially taught to run away or avoid conflict when bullied, even advised by my blonde, blue-eyed mother to tell such assailants (especiallyy after Sunday School) that I was the same colour as Jesus. No prizes for guessing how that went down!

Anyway, my Dad wasn't an expert boxer but the younger brother of my namesake and uncle, a Spitfire pilot who was shot down and killed over Burma shortly before the end of the war. Like so many others of his generation, only 19 at the time. He was a champion boxer at his weight including All India champion of the forces as well as a variety of other trophies I have seen. Anyway being at a boarding school my poor Dad used to get pushed into the ring because of his brother's reputation.

I must say that thereon I was able to hold my own even if outnumbered. What I do remember however with greater regret is my sister, three years my junior and similarly swarthy, although as a youngster not quite as dark as I because I had regular sun-ray treatment for mild rickets. Anyway my Mum once found her in tears in the bath, scrubbing herself to the point of bleeding.
Appreciate what you are saying here, especially the last about your Mum. As the child of a wartime mixed marriage I can say it is one thing to observe casual racism and another to be at the receiving end. My. Own mother went to huge lengths to fit in here, she was talented, smart and from a very well to do family. Just how well to do I did not realise till this year, she worked very hard, and never saw herself above other people. Her brothers both served this country, one in the RAF and one working in a major London hospital for a dozen years.

For us it was not always easy. We were taught to be strong, to ignore ignorance, and not to pop of if needled by our peers. It takes going away to remind me of how deep and institutional thighs racism can be. In the late 70s after living in my Mums home country for some years, largely because life left me without family, I returned with my (even further) mixed race partner and child, and right from arrival at the airport had a very hard time. Both partner and child were taken through a different gate, we were interrogated in different places and had no idea what was happening. Oh, well, said the.person my mum trained to be tough, we got through it. But a bit of you cringes at this kind of stuff.

Returning this year to England was a very different experience one which my son and I discussed only last night. I'd been home after decades here, was made incredibly welcome everywhere, even by total strangers, and as a now rather visibly not so able person was offered help everywhere in a very practical way. We both found it hard to be back here, largely because our return had heightened our awareness of what people don't get right here. Where we had been class divisions and racism were not issues, skin colour an irrelevance, many of the old prejudices, a lot of them remnants of empire just vanishing. Indeed it was hard even to regard things in the terms we do here. Working people of all kinds for instance were valued and most were living well. Anyone can genuinely aspire to anything, and I don't really think that's the case so much here, these days. We seem to have solidified.

It's not just the obvious I want to change here, I want this other stuff to go too. I want the nation to grow up and accept what it actually is, and make the best of things, not the worst.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Dr Éoin Clarke ‏@LabourEoin 8 mins8 minutes ago

Latest Ipsos Mori poll says that there has been a 6% swing in female voters back to Labour since May 2010.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ gilsey

Thank you for the Martin Rowson cartoon. (I must reread my ancient copy of The Phantom Tollbooth if it's still in one piece.)
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

This might be a handy bookmark for tonight.
Election Night 2015 Declaration Times In Alphabetical Order
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/05 ... K+Politics
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AngryAsWell wrote:I'm just off out, but wondering has anyone heard from Ernst since his last message? Getting a bit worried about him, though he could just be out with Labour on the streets...
Ditto....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Thank you, everyone.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

diGriz wrote:This might be a handy bookmark for tonight.
Election Night 2015 Declaration Times In Alphabetical Order
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/05 ... K+Politics
Thanks.

I wonder how things are going for "Mike" Hancock in Portsmouth South. And the dreadful LibDem, Gerald Vernon-Jackson. And the just as dreadful Ukip candidate. I'm fairly sure that the (ghastly) Conservative, Flick Drummond, will get in.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Protest planned to oust Cameron should Tories try to occupy Downing Street
Post-election event to be held outside No 10 already has 1,000 people signed up to tackle any attempt at a Conservative ‘constitutional coup’

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... t-election
Exciting times ahead. Brits have been pushed too far. We're finally finding our teeth. And none too soon.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Great list Di Griz, thanks. Have bookmarked it for later use.

Hallam, Ceredigion and quite a few may be delayed by recounts as they are looking to be tight.

Also, the Lib Dems will be demanding recounts if a few votes will get them up to 5% save their deposits.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Must be bad when @David_Cameron feels the need to tell us he and the missus voted Con

"Samantha & I voting Conservative this morning, so that everyone can have security whatever stage of life they are at."

Am I the only one to find that a bit weird - and with something of the intimidatory about it?
How does he know how she voted? Did he go in the booth with her?
The truth ferret speaks!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:
Ditto....
Yes - I mentioned him yesterday(?). I've tried sending him a private message from here, but I doubt he'll see it since he's not logged in.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

mbc1955 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

How does he know how she voted? Did he go in the booth with her?
:lol: :lol: I love the thought of Samantha going rogue.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Who was it who wanted to know where the cats were ...?
stellacreasy ‏@stellacreasy 5m5 minutes ago
You may have dogs at polling stations, but I have a cat following me on campaign trail...#walthamstow…
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Bonnie Greer ‏@Bonn1eGreer 4 mins4 minutes ago

"All the final polls so far seem to be showing a move towards #Labour."..@LordAshcroft
Just to keep our spirits up :D ;)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Who was it who wanted to know where the cats were ...?
stellacreasy ‏@stellacreasy 5m5 minutes ago
You may have dogs at polling stations, but I have a cat following me on campaign trail...#walthamstow…
That was me!

Thank you.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Pity us in Wales and Scotland, we will have to go through all this again next year with our devolved government elections.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

I'm just getting ready to go and vote, a bit apprehensive about actually getting there. It's been quiet here, a small demo f minds St the school across the road, couldn't identify the cause. The weather has been pretty deardful, but has cleared up now. It's a safe seat here with nothing on the ticket further left than labour.

I'll be around tonight mostly, I think. I find it impossible to sleep nights at times like these.

It like to see cats too, and loved those dogs in their coats.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

BBC say

Up to 3,000 people may have received a polling card with the wrong address printed on it in Hounslow, west London. Election rules require you vote at the station you have been assigned. Hounslow Council has apologised and is running a shuttle bus service between polling booths in Southville Road and Bedfont Library between 17:00 and 22:00.

Have there been as many cock ups in previous elections ?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:BBC say

Up to 3,000 people may have received a polling card with the wrong address printed on it in Hounslow, west London. Election rules require you vote at the station you have been assigned. Hounslow Council has apologised and is running a shuttle bus service between polling booths in Southville Road and Bedfont Library between 17:00 and 22:00.

Have there been as many cock ups in previous elections ?
This does seem a particularly cock-up littered election. I don't remember so many foul-ups happening in previous ones.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

There were a few last time, before that I don't remember any.
Maybe we just didn't find out about them, but there could be a slight lessening of rigour in the admin due to LA cuts?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@seeingclearly

Thanks for that response, seeingclearly. I guess my father's family was considered well to do too, they certainly had the lifestyle in India. As a child I remember him studying at the dining table for years regaining his qualifications that were not recognised here. I was regularly beaten up, nearly every break-time and after school; people used to spit at my parents in the street. That was in Birmingham in the fifties, things seemed so much better once we moved to more rural climes - passage of time too for that matter as people became more tolerant.

Regarding what you said about ignorance, then yes, I too was taught not to feel put down and to recognise it for what it was. In some ways it was a bit of a class or possibly intelligence/education thing in those days in terms of how we were treated by others. Anyway I feel particularly incensed regarding the Pakistani/Indian divide over here because they really have so much in common.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I am in a complaining mood at the moment.

I fired off a grumpy email to the Independent and said I was going to boycott it because of their leader column the other day.
I do buy the i, mainly for the quick crossword, and the main paper sometimes at the weekend.

Have had two replies today, this one just came through.

''Dear Sandra (if I may),

Thank you very much indeed for your email, and I’m so sorry to read of how disheartened you are. I don’t suppose I can convince you to keep taking The Independent, but please forgive me if I try, by making just two points.

First of all, throughout my time as Editor, this newspaper has fought for the poor. We have led the way in showing the human cost of austerity, highlighting food banks, the impact of the bedroom tax and so on.

Far from arguing for more of that, we specifically said that if there is to be another Coalition, we hope it is “much less conservative”.

Secondly, it really is a shame that you think this is to do with the Lebedevs.

In fact, they have given over £100m to British journalism and jobs over the past few years, saving three newspapers and creating another one (the i) in the process. The only reason they exist, and are now losing under £5m rather than £30m, is because the Lebedevs have supported it. Up to half of that investment has ended up in the Exchequer, through taxes paid by staff.

Moreover, I can say hand on heart that they have NEVER tried to impose their financial interests on our editorial position.

I am so sorry to lose a very valued reader, and wouldn’t want it to be for the sake of a misapprehension. I hope, too, that you might be persuaded to give us a second chance.

In any case, let me add to what Will says by declaring myself hugely grateful for all your support for The Independent over the years. We will miss you.
All best wishes.
Amol
Editor, The Independent''

He doesn't tell us how much/little the Lebedevs pay in tax !
Last edited by yahyah on Thu 07 May, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

I should have thought of this earlier, but here's a link to another song that reminds us of why today is so important. Don't let us get sick...

The truth ferret speaks!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

gilsey wrote:There were a few last time, before that I don't remember any.
Maybe we just didn't find out about them, but there could be a slight lessening of rigour in the admin due to LA cuts?
Nothing works as well thanks to the cuts....And why should people put themselves out when they are treated badly.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Paddy Power has delivered a cheeky message to MPs on the eve of the election informing them that they will soon be “fired”.

Tying in with the general election which finally goes to ballot Thursday 7 May, Paddy Power parked a truck bearing the message “You’re getting sacked in the morning” outside of Westminster Parliament today (6 May).
http://www.thedrum.com/news/2015/05/06/ ... minster-ad

Last edited by pk1 on Thu 07 May, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

yahyah wrote:I am in a complaining mood at the moment.

I fired off a grumpy email to the Independent and said I was going to boycott it because of their leader column the other day.
I do buy the i, mainly for the quick crossword, and the main paper sometimes at the weekend.

Have had two replies today, this one just came through.

''Dear Sandra (if I may),

Thank you very much indeed for your email, and I’m so sorry to read of how disheartened you are. I don’t suppose I can convince you to keep taking The Independent, but please forgive me if I try, by making just two points.

First of all, throughout my time as Editor, this newspaper has fought for the poor. We have led the way in showing the human cost of austerity, highlighting food banks, the impact of the bedroom tax and so on.

Far from arguing for more of that, we specifically said that if there is to be another Coalition, we hope it is “much less conservative”.

Secondly, it really is a shame that you think this is to do with the Lebedevs.

In fact, they have given over £100m to British journalism and jobs over the past few years, saving three newspapers and creating another one (the i) in the process. The only reason they exist, and are now losing under £5m rather than £30m, is because the Lebedevs have supported it. Up to half of that investment has ended up in the Exchequer, through taxes paid by staff.

Moreover, I can say hand on heart that they have NEVER tried to impose their financial interests on our editorial position.

I am so sorry to lose a very valued reader, and wouldn’t want it to be for the sake of a misapprehension. I hope, too, that you might be persuaded to give us a second chance.

In any case, let me add to what Will says by declaring myself hugely grateful for all your support for The Independent over the years. We will miss you.
All best wishes.
Amol
Editor, The Independent''

He doesn't tell us how much/little the Lebedevs pay in tax !
Nor does he tell us how anyone with a modicum of intelligence, who has followed the political happenings of the past five years, can for a moment entertain the notion that, with a substantial reduction in the number of MPs the junior party brings to the coalition, it will in future be subject to greater influence from the LibDems, without a flap opening in the top of his head and a clown emerging on a spring laughing hysterically.
The truth ferret speaks!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

mbc1955 wrote:I should have thought of this earlier, but here's a link to another song that reminds us of why today is so important. Don't let us get sick...

That's left me blubbing. In a good way.
Love Warren Zevon.
Last edited by yahyah on Thu 07 May, 2015 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I'll be off out to do my last door knocking session soon - yay. I and a pal are on the late shift ... we deserve medals for the hills alone but now we're going to have the hills and the dusk. From tomorrow I won't have to worry about her knees ... or at least I hope I won't.

Mr Riots has gone a bit OTT with the election night snacks - various types of chocolate biscuits, nibbles and a bigger selection of booze than we have for Christmas. He's determined to enjoy himself.

Till later - much later.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Take care RR. See you in the wee hours.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

utopiandreams wrote:@seeingclearly

Thanks for that response, seeingclearly. I guess my father's family was considered well to do too, they certainly had the lifestyle in India. As a child I remember him studying at the dining table for years regaining his qualifications that were not recognised here. I was regularly beaten up, nearly every break-time and after school; people used to spit at my parents in the street. That was in Birmingham in the fifties, things seemed so much better once we moved to more rural climes - passage of time too for that matter as people became more tolerant.

Regarding what you said about ignorance, then yes, I too was taught not to feel put down and to recognise it for what it was. In some ways it was a bit of a class or possibly intelligence/education thing in those days in terms of how we were treated by others. Anyway I feel particularly incensed regarding the Pakistani/Indian divide over here because they really have so much in common.
Well really the are the same people, I remember Ning amazed when a long term fiend told me about his her parents originally had to.leave everything they owned in the mess of Partition, and wound up in Lahore, it always, up till then, assumeded they were from Pakistan their stor is a familiar one of being shunted shout muchoption yo another place and the inevitable alienation. Their history is common, and it's a lack UC learning in a critical thinking way, about your own origins that pots people histories, and shapes their thinking into narrow, and poorer understandings of the past. Of course, Btish history, ax desemminated, can also serve to create a lot of confusion. Had to laugh at the person who didn't realise Pakistan didn't exist prior to 1947. I'm a big supporter of a wide range of.tea hing history and civics, part of all this stuff really does create ignorance, and it affect our ncoming communities and their children, too.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Suspect they'll be a lot of people around with you Rob.

I'm going to try to kip until about 3 then get up and log on here to join you.
If Clegg gets ousted we can do a Mexican Wave.

It just seems karmic, after years of wishing the Lib Dems to be obliterated that it may be Labour in Scotland that takes a big hit. Not convinced it'll be as bad as it could be, tactical & undecided voters may have an impact.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

RobertSnozers wrote:I'm going to attempt to stay up all night, by the way. I might try and grab a bit of a nap in my armchair. I'll need to be up at 6am anyway so I might as well. I'll be checking in here regularly if anyone fancies any virtual company
I'm going to bed but taking my ipad & hoping to stay awake so I'll be here too. The thought of Coppard dethroning Clegg is too sweet to miss, all for the sake of some sleep.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

seeingclearly wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:@seeingclearly

Well really the are the same people, I remember Ning amazed when a long term fiend told me about his her parents originally had to.leave everything they owned in the mess of Partition, and wound up in Lahore, it always, up till then, assumeded they were from Pakistan their stor is a familiar one of being shunted shout muchoption yo another place and the inevitable alienation. Their history is common, and it's a lack UC learning in a critical thinking way, about your own origins that pots people histories, and shapes their thinking into narrow, and poorer understandings of the past. Of course, Btish history, ax desemminated, can also serve to create a lot of confusion. Had to laugh at the person who didn't realise Pakistan didn't exist prior to 1947. I'm a big supporter of a wide range of.tea hing history and civics, part of all this stuff really does create ignorance, and it affect our ncoming communities and their children, too.

It was a UKIP candidate, nuff said.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Off to vote now, then a spot of badminton, then an election party.

Thank you all for making politics more bearable, I'll pop in later to see how everyone's feeling.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

See you later GetYou. Enjoy your game & the party.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Evening all,
Been a glorious sunny day today, so hopefully a good turnout. I'm off to an end is season do at the bairns rugby club, which should set me up nicely for a long night in front of the telly and iPad. Fingers crossed all goes well.
Hi Ernst, hope all is well *waves*
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@GetYou

Have a good time. Hope to see you later.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've heard back from ErnstRemarx.

I'm not breaking any confidences, I hope, if I report that he seems broadly ok and that we, here, are in his thoughts.

He says that he will post intermittently.

Whoops! He's here! Jolly good!
Last edited by PorFavor on Thu 07 May, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Meridian news:

Bexhill Academy opened at a cost of £40m 5 years ago. It was built to a specific open-plan concept so that 15 classrooms, dubbed education pods, could share both teachers and lessons.

It was hailed by Gove in 2012 then placed into special measures 5 months later.

The school has now been taken over by a 2nd academy trust, with a new Principal & partition walls brought in.

It is now due to receive a further £6m in funding to correct the design flaws & create additional classrooms.

#couldntmakeitup !!
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

For boring 'life' reasons i won't be around on here tonight but I'll be up watching and I'll drop back in in the morning. Whatever happens, I honestly don't think labour could have done much better through the campaign.

Good luck all.
I still believe in a town called Hope
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

@David_Cameron's wikipedia page seems to be hacked. Says: "Vote Labour" #election http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Cameron
4:20 PM - 7 May 2015

Maybe it was Samantha that did it.