Thursday 7th May

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Re: Thursday 7th May

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Two little snippets to amuse. On my long car journey through Tory land today I spotted two little signs of insurrection.

Firstly one of the Tory voting fields was proudly displaying.

Conservative - For a better more secure future.

Somebody had sprayed - For the 1% - on top of it.

Secondly I passed the local UKIP candidates office.

As well as UKIP signs he was proudly (and deliberately) displaying two Stop The Badger Cull posters.

Not all total bastards then.
Release the Guardvarks.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

seeingclearly wrote:... Had to laugh at the person who didn't realise Pakistan didn't exist prior to 1947. I'm a big supporter of a wide range of.tea hing history and civics, part of all this stuff really does create ignorance, and it affect our ncoming communities and their children, too.
Had to laugh.seeingclearly? That rather depends on who or what the person was. Regarding history of India or geography for that matter, it is not something you'd find taught here. I remember doing a 'O' level geography project on India armed with lots of literature from my father's library of books (not plagiarism, honestly). Thinking back to it now rather than an 'O' level project it more closely resembled a university degree dissertation. The books in question were largely from my grandfather, a mining engineer by trade, who was a big-wig on the Indian Railways, largely responsible for creation of the North-West passage. A villa in Bombay and a personal carriage with servants on rail.

During Partition he'd been charged with planning the mass transit of peoples, quite to what degree and with what shared responsibilities I have no idea. What I do know however is that he was seriously injured when trains in opposite directions stopped at Lahore (they weren't meant to) and he was caught in cross-fire.

Talking of different days, my father was only four years old when put on a train with his nine year old brother for the nine hundred mile trip to school in Lahore. They had a nine-month year with a three month summer break.

Edit; ironically I moved to the Midlands in the February immediately prior to 'O' levels and had to drop geography because of the timetable. I later took it by paying for the exam myself.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Don't know how my night is going to shape up.

All I can say it's a true nail biter here in Colne Valley.

Labour's Jane East has definitely run the best campaign (unbiased view of course!)

But a 5,000 majority to overturn. But 16,000 Lib Dems (hopefully now all former!) who may have done the right thing.

Wow
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

seeingclearly wrote:Missing nesters, presumably someone has news of how they are:

Giselle, Adrian, Ernst, Temulkar and I think several more, you are all missed and I for one would be delighted if you dropped by and said hello.

And. Toby who, did! You have been missed.
I'm here, if not very much at the mo. I've been and voted of course. My very best wishes to all FTNers wherever you are and I hope to be back soon.

Where has the thanks function gone?
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Evening all. Just caught up with today's posts. Special thanks to whoever it was posted that Taiwan news animation.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:Missing nesters, presumably someone has news of how they are:

Giselle, Adrian, Ernst, Temulkar and I think several more, you are all missed and I for one would be delighted if you dropped by and said hello.

And. Toby who, did! You have been missed.
I'm here, if not very much at the mo. I've been and voted of course. My very best wishes to all FTNers wherever you are and I hope to be back soon.

Where has the thanks function gone?
The site had some sort of central update thing yesterday and went a bit wonky. It was nursed back to health by refitman but he felt that having achieved some sort of normality he would stop tinkering with the site in case it caused it to have a malfunction today, of all days. The "thanks" button is thus absent for now.

Edited to add --

I hope I haven't been too technical there. I'm constantly being told that I can get a bit that way . . .
Last edited by PorFavor on Thu 07 May, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Done.

All over bar the counting.
The truth ferret speaks!
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Another vote for Lapurr...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ Spacedone

Ha! Thank you.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

Spacedone wrote:Image

Another vote for Lapurr...
I know it's in a good cause, but damn I miss the 'Thanks' button!
The truth ferret speaks!
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

PorFavor wrote:.. I hope I haven't been too technical there. I'm constantly being told that I can get a bit that way . . .
Not at all, PorFavor, perfectly understood thank you. I am particularly impressed with your grasp of the terminology. 10/10.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Anecdotal evidence from Twitter and other sources suggests that the polling stations in Sheffield Hallam are busy and there are queues of people waiting to vote in Crookes, a student dominated part of that constituency.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RobertSnozers wrote:I'm going to attempt to stay up all night, by the way. I might try and grab a bit of a nap in my armchair. I'll need to be up at 6am anyway so I might as well. I'll be checking in here regularly if anyone fancies any virtual company
I'm pulling an all-nighter. Have lots of coffee and redbull on hand. Have also booked tomorrow off work.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

refitman wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:I'm going to attempt to stay up all night, by the way. I might try and grab a bit of a nap in my armchair. I'll need to be up at 6am anyway so I might as well. I'll be checking in here regularly if anyone fancies any virtual company
I'm pulling an all-nighter. Have lots of coffee and redbull on hand. Have also booked tomorrow off work.
I'm intending to stay up until Sheffield Hallam is announced then get a few hours sleep before going into work. Fortunately I can work flexible hours so I'm going in late, work a shorter day than usual and making up the time next week.

I've got the nibbles in, caffeine at the ready and a pizza on standby. :rock:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

pk1 wrote:Meridian news:

Bexhill Academy opened at a cost of £40m 5 years ago. It was built to a specific open-plan concept so that 15 classrooms, dubbed education pods, could share both teachers and lessons.

It was hailed by Gove in 2012 then placed into special measures 5 months later.

The school has now been taken over by a 2nd academy trust, with a new Principal & partition walls brought in.

It is now due to receive a further £6m in funding to correct the design flaws & create additional classrooms.

#couldntmakeitup !!
To be fair to Gove, the "innovative" design now being un-innovated predates him. It's a nice example of Labour overspending on school buildings.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

utopiandreams wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:... Had to laugh at the person who didn't realise Pakistan didn't exist prior to 1947. I'm a big supporter of a wide range of.tea hing history and civics, part of all this stuff really does create ignorance, and it affect our ncoming communities and their children, too.
Had to laugh.seeingclearly? That rather depends on who or what the person was. Regarding history of India or geography for that matter, it is not something you'd find taught here. I remember doing a 'O' level geography project on India armed with lots of literature from my father's library of books (not plagiarism, honestly). Thinking back to it now rather than an 'O' level project it more closely resembled a university degree dissertation. The books in question were largely from my grandfather, a mining engineer by trade, who was a big-wig on the Indian Railways, largely responsible for creation of the North-West passage. A villa in Bombay and a personal carriage with servants on rail.

During Partition he'd been charged with planning the mass transit of peoples, quite to what degree and with what shared responsibilities I have no idea. What I do know however is that he was seriously injured when trains in opposite directions stopped at Lahore (they weren't meant to) and he was caught in cross-fire.

Talking of different days, my father was only four years old when put on a train with his nine year old brother for the nine hundred mile trip to school in Lahore. They had a nine-month year with a three month summer break.

Edit; ironically I moved to the Midlands in the February immediately prior to 'O' levels and had to drop geography because of the timetable. I later took it by paying for the exam myself.
I had the great good fortune to study history with someone who taught from many perspectives text books from many countries were challenging for o young midland girl who had been taught our royalty here was the apotheosis of history! ive been having to help people buster stand our voting system, people even older ones are voting for their first, and do not know the basics of the electoral system! I spent an afternoon last week with someone recently who found it baffling he couldn't vote for Nicola Sturgeon. He was from Devon. yet they expect people entering Britain to do citizenship ttests that would stump me!

It was nice to see a steady stream of voters, people of all kind. No one at the gate at all, it's been incredibly quiet here, not a canvasser seen in five years, and this time not even vans with loudhailers. A late carpet of leaflets appeared last weekend, and it still feels as though that inbreath is being held, people were in fact looking more serious and anxious than I remember from other times.

Not a local councillor whose name I had heard of before, that too has been so quiet, so I voted for green, because we've not had a council that isn't bent for as long as I can remember. And someone will have to think about green issues, and they need to do their apprenticeship at local level and builds some political nous.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

All nighter for me too, rest me eyes for a bit soon, then ready for a night shift.

No alcohol will pass my lips or I won't last till 1am.

Polling station next to me has been extremely busy, the most I have ever seen it, and I have been living here since just before the 97 election, could mean something, or it could mean nowt?!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Hello all
made it back in time "from abroad"
spreadsheet at the ready
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've got some Cadbury chocolate mini rolls anyone...?
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

[youtube]WibmcsEGLKo[/youtube]
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

utopiandreams wrote:Regarding history of India or geography for that matter, it is not something you'd find taught here.
And we are the poorer for it. I've read a fair bit on the history of India*, although nothing earlier than the Mughal Empire (yet, recommendations for decent books of earlier periods always gratefully accepted); understanding how we affected India, and how India affected us, is something that endlessly fascinates me.

* Although, I suspect, not anywhere near as much as you! :lol:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Good evening everyone - and good to see you, Ernst, you lovely man.

Right. Soup on hob (gargantuan quantities of split-pea&ham) with baguettes and lovely salty Welsh butter. Dig in.
I'll have a chocolate mini roll, JA, thank you.

Lot's of coffee, lots of tea, and a welcome in the borders. (If you sing it, it nearly sounds as good as valleys)

Those of you interested in such things, the Welsh Rugby Union has appointed its first ever woman chief executive. This is v.v.good.

Now we all seem to be set for midnight/all-night feasting, and a nice long natter, how are we all feeling?

I'm feeling a weird sensation that is vaguely familiar; I think it might be hope......
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

ubergeek porfavor wrote:The site had some sort of central update thing yesterday and went a bit wonky. It was nursed back to health by refitman but he felt that having achieved some sort of normality he would stop tinkering with the site in case it caused it to have a malfunction today, of all days. The "thanks" button is thus absent for now.

Edited to add --

I hope I haven't been too technical there. I'm constantly being told that I can get a bit that way . . .
:lol:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

This is one of those "I have something in my eye" stories. Good on her, and I hope we get a result which will make her day even more special.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/br ... un-5653109
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:Good evening everyone - and good to see you, Ernst, you lovely man.

Right. Soup on hob (gargantuan quantities of split-pea&ham) with baguettes and lovely salty Welsh butter. Dig in.
I'll have a chocolate mini roll, JA, thank you.

Lot's of coffee, lots of tea, and a welcome in the borders. (If you sing it, it nearly sounds as good as valleys)

Those of you interested in such things, the Welsh Rugby Union has appointed its first ever woman chief executive. This is v.v.good.

Now we all seem to be set for midnight/all-night feasting, and a nice long natter, how are we all feeling?

I'm feeling a weird sensation that is vaguely familiar; I think it might be hope......
Hope is here. Plenty of chocolate rolls. Love. Love is here, too.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

I'm another one who's going for at least most of all night. Provisions laid on to keep me going and the day taken off tomorrow. Food, drink (alternate doses of coffee and Diet Coke), and considerable nervousness as it all starts to unfold and we learn exactly what truths lie behind polls, experience and intuitions.
The truth ferret speaks!
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Just me being the party pooper then? I've got work tomorrow and, quite frankly, trying to function there after a sleepless (and undoubtedly stressful) night would possibly not be sensible given my recent health issues. Actually I'm planning to have an early night in the way we all did at Christmas when we were kids; get to sleep earlier to make all the good things come quicker ....... hopefully!!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

is it an offence to surreptitiously flick the v's at an snp banner from a passing taxi?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Will Black
‏@WillBlackWriter My nan is poorly but managed to make one last cake for @David_Cameron.
http://huff.to/1AX4lqa

#ElectionDay
Attachments
CEaEs5xW8AARco5.jpg
CEaEs5xW8AARco5.jpg (66.76 KiB) Viewed 10143 times
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:is it an offence to surreptitiously flick the v's at an snp banner from a passing taxi?
No. I think it's probably an offence not to, though.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

goes without saying that PF flummoxed me completely with the jargonese, but I think I get the general picture on the situatie.
Many thanks to RFM for sterling work on the site, and taking an excellent decision priority-wise for this evening.
all: please take multiple thanks as read.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Spacedone wrote:Anecdotal evidence from Twitter and other sources suggests that the polling stations in Sheffield Hallam are busy and there are queues of people waiting to vote in Crookes, a student dominated part of that constituency.
What type of evil genius puts a polling booth,
in a shop next to a chip shop??
Had to walking in road to get past the buggers
(and get our chips home)
Tonibel
Backbencher

Post by Tonibel »

As someone who hopes for the best but expects the worst I have been alternating between optimism and despair for weeks, if not months. I've been convinced for a long time that Ed could be a winner and considering how he's been slated from all sides without giving up, I have never understood how anyone could think he was weak. After months/years of argument other members of the family are coming round to my way of thinking-hope it's not been too late.
Anyway, whether it's a celebration (and I'm quietly hopeful) or a wake, enjoy your beverages/snacks of choice and I'll be with you in spirit even if I can't stay awake.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:Regarding history of India or geography for that matter, it is not something you'd find taught here.
And we are the poorer for it. I've read a fair bit on the history of India*, although nothing earlier than the Mughal Empire (yet, recommendations for decent books of earlier periods always gratefully accepted); understanding how we affected India, and how India affected us, is something that endlessly fascinates me.

* Although, I suspect, not anywhere near as much as you! :lol:
Yeah there is an awful lot to fascinate us, worldwide, TGS. I was going to comment on your comparison with my knowledge, but now that I am realise that it was fascination you were comparing, which may indeed be true given that I have some family history with the sub-continent.

Anyway I was going to say, sadly not, when it comes to knowledge. True that when brought to the surface I must know a fair bit but instant recall is another matter. People like Kevin from Eggheads amaze me, whereas CJ I feel is just too vain. Maybe that is something we share but in my case have nothing to show for it. I think that there must be some limit to what we can fit into our tiny mass of grey matter but seemingly have vast deep storage capacity that can relatively quickly be brought to the surface with a little study or refreshing; foreign languages being one case in point.

On a slightly parallel note something I used to advise my students when furnished with course books was to speed read them first. Okay it was something I learned to do as a child; you have to stop verbalising because it slows you down so much. You cannot have any distractions like the telly or other stuff going on around you but music is fine. Personally I used to like my kids Hard House, obviously I'm speaking of relatively recent (OU) days but something with a driving beat that keeps pushing you on. otherwise there's a tendency to dwell on particulars, especially if equations or formulae are involved. In my case I used to try and cover pages in less than five seconds. You would not be able to answer in depth questions afterwards, no worries just sleep on it. However you can cover vast quantities of material and then when you pick up the books for study they are surprisingly familiar. Not only that individual topics have an overall perspective.

Obviously we're all different and it doesn't work for everyone but given that it takes very little time to try I feel it worth giving it a go should you have a text to study.

Edit: replaced one 'driving' with 'pushing' - repeated word and have now correctly positioned my edit.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Thu 07 May, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

R✞ @ricards_
Dont be a twat #VoteLabour #GE2015
given his deep respect for brevity, this is one I think Blaise Pascal (or was it mark twain) would have liked.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Eek!Just found out you're not meant to wear clothes showing political allegiance when voting.
So did I do wrong wearing a hell yes, T-shirt
this a.m? Should i have known this?
Don't think I intimidated anyone.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

tinybgoat wrote:
Spacedone wrote:Anecdotal evidence from Twitter and other sources suggests that the polling stations in Sheffield Hallam are busy and there are queues of people waiting to vote in Crookes, a student dominated part of that constituency.
(and get our chips home)
That was the queue for the chippy you queue jumper! :lol:
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

tinybgoat wrote:Eek!Just found out you're not meant to wear clothes showing political allegiance when voting.
Hell no, tinybgoat!
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

lucy thornton ‏@lucethornton 10 mins10 minutes ago
Reports of up to 50 per cent turnout by midday at some Sheffield polling stations #GE15
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinybgoat wrote:Eek!Just found out you're not meant to wear clothes showing political allegiance when voting.
Was it the full
Hell Yes
I'm Voting Labour
or the more discreet
Hell, Yes!
edited to correct spelling
Last edited by citizenJA on Thu 07 May, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote: ...I've read a fair bit on the history of India, although nothing earlier than the Mughal Empire...
Ooh! Ooh! Me, me Ma'am! I have an avid interest in 18th & 19th Century British and Colonial history. 8-) :D

As for tonight I shall stay up and be mainly eating king prawn madrass and drinking the best part of a 5l keg of homebrew. I hope to shtay shober long enough to see a Labour majority.

Alternatively, if it starts to look bad, I'll go to bed. And tomorrow I shall contemplate only on my fruit trees and bollux to the lot of them. :toss:

Looking good though. :P
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Spacedone wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:
(and get our chips home)
Thought they were a bit young to be students,
stabilisers on the bike should have given it away. :)
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

citizenJA wrote:
Was it the full
Hell Yes
I'm Voting Labour
or the more discreet
Hell, Yes!
edited to correct spelling
The full Monty!
-actually said on BBC website that it's OK for men to vote topless, but too distracting if women do.
(Suspect full Monty might be a bit too far though.)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinybgoat wrote:
Spacedone wrote:
tinybgoat wrote: What type of evil genius puts a polling booth,
(and get our chips home)
How's this plan for increasing voter turnout - all polling stations located next to excellent takeaways.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

OK ladies and gents, that is me done for the day. Best wishes to all of you pulling that all nighter, and the best of luck to all of us!! With luck I will be waking to news of a Miliband majority; failing that, news of a very comfortable lead which will leave Cameron no options will suffice.

Night all.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:OK ladies and gents, that is me done for the day. Best wishes to all of you pulling that all nighter, and the best of luck to all of us!! With luck I will be waking to news of a Miliband majority; failing that, news of a very comfortable lead which will leave Cameron no options will suffice.

Night all.
Night TGS.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Nick Clegg & his spouse wore colours nailing allegiance to the mast as they voted today.

http://i.guim.co.uk/static/w-620/h--/q- ... 0x372.jpeg
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:OK ladies and gents, that is me done for the day. Best wishes to all of you pulling that all nighter, and the best of luck to all of us!! With luck I will be waking to news of a Miliband majority; failing that, news of a very comfortable lead which will leave Cameron no options will suffice.

Night all.
Goodnight, TGS
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

citizenJA wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:
Spacedone wrote: That was the queue for the chippy you queue jumper! :lol:
How's this plan for increasing voter turnout - all polling stations located next to excellent takeaways.
It would have to be takeaways,
I'd probably be thrown out restaurants for offensive T-shirt.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinybgoat wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
tinybgoat wrote: Thought they were a bit young to be students,
It would have to be takeaways,
I'd probably be thrown out restaurants for offensive T-shirt.
Hell, no, tinyboat! :rock: