Saturday 9th, Sunday 10th May 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 9th, Sunday 10th May 2015

Post by tinyclanger2 »

The "who should lead the labour party" in the mirror currently stands as follows:

Dan Jarvis - 22%
Someone else - 21%
Ed Miliband - 14%
Andy Burnham - 14%
Chuka Umuna - 13%
Yvette Cooper - 10%
Rachel Reeves - 3%
Tristram Hunt - 3%
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

LadyCentauria wrote:
danesclose wrote:From Twitter:
Ross Lawson ‏@Ross_Lawson 12h12 hours ago

Michael Gove's first act will be to create Free Jails, where anyone who has a shed with a lock on it can start their own prison.
Oh gods, don't give that wazzock ideas :rofl:

Actually, I've got a shed that's behind a security gate which only eight people have the key for. It's got ventilation holes and everything...
It's all academic, Lady. Mrs. Blurt shall be busy again, giving it all away. You've had Free Schools now ready yourself for Free Prisons
Last edited by utopiandreams on Sun 10 May, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Disappointing Jarvis has ruled himself out but a man that puts his children (who lost their mother to cancer 5 years ago) above his job is an admirable man indeed.

He specifically mentioned his eldest child who had an extremely hard time following his mothers death. He was only 7 at the time & is still only 12 years old now so it makes Jarvis's reasons all the more understandable.

A real shame though.

My husband said Labour need to appoint a woman now that Jarvis is not standing. He said spamface would not be able to screech abuse from the Despatch box without facing disgust in the country.

Did I ever mention my husband is rather shrewd at times :lol:
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:The "who should lead the labour party" in the mirror currently stands as follows:

Dan Jarvis - 22%
Someone else - 21%
Ed Miliband - 14%
Andy Burnham - 14%
Chuka Umuna - 13%
Yvette Cooper - 10%
Rachel Reeves - 3%
Tristram Hunt - 3%
Well with Jarvis not standing, I guess it's 'someone else' then. Does anyone know if Ms Else is any good? I assume it is Ms, not Mrs. I must admit I know next to nothing about them.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

pk1 wrote:Disappointing Jarvis has ruled himself out but a man that puts his children (who lost their mother to cancer 5 years ago) above his job is an admirable man indeed.

He specifically mentioned his eldest child who had an extremely hard time following his mothers death. He was only 7 at the time & is still only 12 years old now so it makes Jarvis's reasons all the more understandable.

A real shame though.

My husband said Labour need to appoint a woman now that Jarvis is not standing. He said spamface would not be able to screech abuse from the Despatch box without facing disgust in the country.

Good thinking - but not sure that 1) we have a good enough woman and 2) that would stop bullying-don-boy screeching at her
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Willow904 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/da ... un-5675484?
The mirror story on Dan Jarvis is here. Sorry.
Seeing as it looks like Dan Jarvis is out, I did the "who do you prefer as leader" again and noticed Ed was an option and as I didn't particularly fancy any of the others I picked him. He was joint 3rd with Andy Burnham behind Jarvis and 'someone else'. I think the Blairites might have a struggle to get their favoured option (Ummuna?) elected. They're all so bland, something I don't think Ed ever suffered from even if he did share the whole London centric, Oxbridge problem.
Snap. Except I didn't actually do the choosing bit. I know I'm in a flat state but the list just seemed incredibly uninspiring (discounting Ed who isn't, IMO, a real option). Hopefully - once I'm a bit less depleted and we actually get some proper statements from fully declared candidates ... it might just appeal to me a bit more. Hopefully.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Willow904 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:The "who should lead the labour party" in the mirror currently stands as follows:

Dan Jarvis - 22%
Someone else - 21%
Ed Miliband - 14%
Andy Burnham - 14%
Chuka Umuna - 13%
Yvette Cooper - 10%
Rachel Reeves - 3%
Tristram Hunt - 3%
Well with Jarvis not standing, I guess it's 'someone else' then. Does anyone know if Ms Else is any good? I assume it is Ms, not Mrs. I must admit I know next to nothing about them.
:lol:

Thank you. First laugh for me on FTN today.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/da ... un-5675484?
The mirror story on Dan Jarvis is here. Sorry.
Seeing as it looks like Dan Jarvis is out, I did the "who do you prefer as leader" again and noticed Ed was an option and as I didn't particularly fancy any of the others I picked him. He was joint 3rd with Andy Burnham behind Jarvis and 'someone else'. I think the Blairites might have a struggle to get their favoured option (Ummuna?) elected. They're all so bland, something I don't think Ed ever suffered from even if he did share the whole London centric, Oxbridge problem.
Snap. Except I didn't actually do the choosing bit. I know I'm in a flat state but the list just seemed incredibly uninspiring (discounting Ed who isn't, IMO, a real option). Hopefully - once I'm a bit less depleted and we actually get some proper statements from fully declared candidates ... it might just appeal to me a bit more. Hopefully.
Oh go and click Ed anyway I'd love him to get massive support even though its a daft poll. :lol:
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
pk1 wrote:Disappointing Jarvis has ruled himself out but a man that puts his children (who lost their mother to cancer 5 years ago) above his job is an admirable man indeed.

A real shame though.

Good thinking - but not sure that 1) we have a good enough woman and 2) that would stop bullying-don-boy screeching at her
I have a vague memory of a wall of noise from the government benches preventing Natalie Bennett from asking Cameron a question at PMQs once. Her being a woman just seemed to make them worse. I've nothing against a woman, but a woman picked for being a woman is a waste of time. No one goes 'That Merkel's good for a woman'. They just go 'That Merkel's good'.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Anyway, if Labour is going to have a chance next time, the leadership should be more or less immaterial, since we need to be in communities making a difference and engaging people with the party on a day to day basis rather than with the leadership in the run up to the election. The party needs to be a million times more engaged at grass roots level, and the leadership primarily a decent figurehead who can bring the party and others together (and put Mandelson et at back in their box).
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AngryAsWell wrote: Good thinking - but not sure that 1) we have a good enough woman and 2) that would stop bullying-don-boy screeching at her
Kendall got a really good response by the press after her Sunday Politics interview & maybe getting the press to lay off its hatred of Labour is half the battle.

She seemed to do an ok job as Shadow Health Minister, although Robert might give us more of a clue about her in that role.

Spamface shrieking at a woman would be frowned upon by decent men & women up and down the country & sometimes it is essential to play the strongest hand available instead of opting to play the polite hand that can lead to defeat. This is politics, not card games between a child & it's grandparent.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

A real shame though.

:lol: He's right. Spamface would in all likelihood have problems dealing with a woman opposite him. We'd probably see bits of his subconscious how to talk to women persona come out in the worst possible ways when he's under pressure ... grisly, unwatchable, can't stop watching stuff. Calm down dear would be the least of it.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Willow904 wrote: I have a vague memory of a wall of noise from the government benches preventing Natalie Bennett from asking Cameron a question at PMQs once. Her being a woman just seemed to make them worse. I've nothing against a woman, but a woman picked for being a woman is a waste of time. No one goes 'That Merkel's good for a woman'. They just go 'That Merkel's good'.
Bennett has never been an MP so your memory has failed you on this occasion ;)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Anyway, if Labour is going to have a chance next time, the leadership should be more or less immaterial, since we need to be in communities making a difference and engaging people with the party on a day to day basis rather than with the leadership in the run up to the election. The party needs to be a million times more engaged at grass roots level, and the leadership primarily a decent figurehead who can bring the party and others together (and put Mandelson et at back in their box).
Everyone keeps saying this but Labour have had Movement for Change (builds movements that mobilise the power of people to take action) going for years - maybe its got stale? but could be worth looking at ?
http://www.movementforchange.org.uk/
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

pk1 wrote:
Willow904 wrote: I have a vague memory of a wall of noise from the government benches preventing Natalie Bennett from asking Cameron a question at PMQs once. Her being a woman just seemed to make them worse. I've nothing against a woman, but a woman picked for being a woman is a waste of time. No one goes 'That Merkel's good for a woman'. They just go 'That Merkel's good'.
It was CL, I remember it - they were appalling to her.
Off to bed
Night all
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

Dan Jarvis - 22%
Someone else - 21%
Ed Miliband - 14%
Andy Burnham - 14%
Chuka Umuna - 13%
Yvette Cooper - 10%
Rachel Reeves - 3%
Tristram Hunt - 3%
:lol:

Thank you. First laugh for me on FTN today.
I think I've hit the gallow's humour stage. Best to get off to bed while I'm on the up. Night everyone.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Mrs. Else is elsewhere.

And of anyone thinks that Cameron is not above flinging insults at women, think again.

That's why if we can't have Ed back, we need Angela Eagle. She is fabulous at put-downs, smiles like a little kid as she delivers a stiletto between the shoulder-blades. Metaphorically speaking.

And for your delectation - Heeeerrrre's IDS again!

How is IDS going to make his £12BN of cuts? He is working out the details right now. He is still not saying where he thinks the axe will fall.
However, he has said that the £12BN cuts are "possible"
(This represent just - JUST, he says - 10% of the entire non-pensions budget)

What we do know is this - he says "...they cannot be achieved by cheese-paring" and "..will have to involve changes in behaviour".

Right. So we won;t get bits off this or bits off that. No.
People will be told how they are expected to behave or no money.
People will be told what to do and prove they've done it or no money.

Just like now but much worse and affecting more people.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

utopiandreams wrote: It's all academic, Lady. Mrs. Blurt shall be busy again, giving it all away. You've had Free Schools now ready yourself for Free Prisons
Are they all going to opened by criminals' parents?

That's the theory anyway - the practice is that they'll all end up being opened by G4S and Serco.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
pk1 wrote:
It was CL, I remember it - they were appalling to her.
Off to bed
Night all
Yes. Caroline Lucas. That's who I meant. Definitely time for bed!
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Oh yes, I remember the Lucas situation but yelling down a backbencher by other backbenchers is somewhat different to the PM doing it to the Leader of the Opposition.

Before bed, have a chuckle at the speed with which the first petition of the new govt, demanding the resignation of an MP - unsurprisingly it involves Ohso's MP, Rob Wilson:

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/ ... o-resign-/
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sky News ‏@SkyNews 59m59 minutes ago
TIMES FRONT PAGE: Brussels forces Britain to accept Med migrants #skypapers
Apparently this 'EU demand is first test of Cameron's new government'.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Nobody really cares about Cameron's "woman problem".

Or if they do, they're either not voting for him anyway, or care about it less than the SNP rewriting the budget.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
utopiandreams wrote: It's all academic, Lady. Mrs. Blurt shall be busy again, giving it all away. You've had Free Schools now ready yourself for Free Prisons

That's the theory anyway - the practice is that they'll all end up being opened by G4S and Serco.
You may be right but Mrs. Blurt is surprisingly coy unlike some of Michael's friends. Teaching ex-squaddies didn't pan out, maybe prison guards are more to their liking, Roger.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
And Labour'll be very tempted to be nasty too.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:Mrs. Else is elsewhere.

And of anyone thinks that Cameron is not above flinging insults at women, think again.

That's why if we can't have Ed back, we need Angela Eagle. She is fabulous at put-downs, smiles like a little kid as she delivers a stiletto between the shoulder-blades. Metaphorically speaking.

And for your delectation - Heeeerrrre's IDS again!

How is IDS going to make his £12BN of cuts? He is working out the details right now. He is still not saying where he thinks the axe will fall.
However, he has said that the £12BN cuts are "possible"
(This represent just - JUST, he says - 10% of the entire non-pensions budget)

What we do know is this - he says "...they cannot be achieved by cheese-paring" and "..will have to involve changes in behaviour".

Right. So we won;t get bits off this or bits off that. No.
People will be told how they are expected to behave or no money.
People will be told what to do and prove they've done it or no money.

Just like now but much worse and affecting more people.
It's going to be the same as the US. Over there when government and their equivalent of our councils are working out their social budgets, food banks are included in the figures. I fear we are stuck with them now.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Stephen Doughty ‏@SDoughtyMP 52m52 minutes ago
Don't agree w/ what @david_taylor says about campaign leadership in Wales, but rest of article is rightly challenging http://www.clickonwales.org/2015/05/som ... or-labour/
Very lively comments too.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
:?:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
What ?

Please quit with the drive-by shooting & instead, explain what it is you're not saying !
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Just to say no to Umunna too. A lovely looking man with little to say. Not a leader in any way, and not what is needed.

Angela Eagle looking better hour by hour. Only just starting to realise how alone Ed was, in spite of other Ed, given that we've seen how warm and genuinely funny and likeable he can be how did that happen, and how to stop it happening again. Perhaps we ought not to be expecting our politicians to look and behave like a different class of people and leave them to the mercy of image makers. I first found Ed to be likeable in casual clothes, and speaking free of a party line, he seemed relaxed and real, and not the nervous performer we sometimes saw. I realise I'm straying, but have to express anxiety over Lucy Powell who everyone says worked very hard. That may be, but she also was responsible for a huge mistake right before Election Day. I'm surprised it drew no comment here, because elsewhere it was taken very much as a sign of insincerity. Please no more of the bright ideas that turn to disaster with whoever comes next.

AE will always be herself perhaps that why I'm warming to her, the others on the list dont inspire, and even Jarvis I find hard to imagine holding slippery Dave to any kind of account.

Apologies. I'm no good at succinct.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Times headline in later edition has been changed to:

"Britain must take Med migrants, says Brussels"

Interesting that they softened the headline from 'force' to this.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

utopiandreams wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:

You may be right but Mrs. Blurt is surprisingly coy unlike some of Michael's friends. Teaching ex-squaddies didn't pan out, maybe prison guards are more to their liking, Roger.
Nothing would surprise me, sadly, even if they attempted to make it compulsory for ex-squaddies to retrain as prison guards.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

seeingclearly wrote:Just to say no to Umunna too. A lovely looking man with little to say. Not a leader in any way, and not what is needed.

Angela Eagle looking better hour by hour. Only just starting to realise how alone Ed was, in spite of other Ed, given that we've seen how warm and genuinely funny and likeable he can be how did that happen, and how to stop it happening again. Perhaps we ought not to be expecting our politicians to look and behave like a different class of people and leave them to the mercy of image makers. I first found Ed to be likeable in casual clothes, and speaking free of a party line, he seemed relaxed and real, and not the nervous performer we sometimes saw. I realise I'm straying, but have to express anxiety over Lucy Powell who everyone says worked very hard. That may be, but she also was responsible for a huge mistake right before Election Day. I'm surprised it drew no comment here, because elsewhere it was taken very much as a sign of insincerity. Please no more of the bright ideas that turn to disaster with whoever comes next.

AE will always be herself perhaps that why I'm warming to her, the others on the list dont inspire, and even Jarvis I find hard to imagine holding slippery Dave to any kind of account.

Apologies. I'm no good at succinct.
Agreed, Angela Eagle would probably be very good. She seems well able to handle herself and to have respect across the House. And agreed about the 'image shaping' business, too. When it stops people from being themselves, it's gone too far.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...