Saturday 9th, Sunday 10th May 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 9th, Sunday 10th May 2015

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@Daydreamer
Thank you for your post. No, it's no better today than it was yesterday. I'm mourning & trying to get up again.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@Ohso
Thank goodness you're here.
Thank you.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

None of the old guard for me either re support for a new Labour leader. Cooper does not impress me at all - has a complete absence of charisma and good delivery when she speaks - and, lets face it, she will always be Mrs Balls to the media - it would be a gift to the Tories all over again.
Working on the wild side.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

@pk1

So sorry to hear you're having such a rough time all round.

I'm finding myself sharing your sentiment about Dan Jarvis. There is something rather appealing about having someone in charge of Labour with unassailable authority getting out there and giving those Tory scumbags a piece of his mind. If they'd be scared to bump into him down a dark alley all the better. We've tried to beat them with values and intellect and it didn't work. I think this time we should just beat them up.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

He already got elected in the USA, first time in 2008 assumed office Jan 2009.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:Angela Eagle is articulate, experienced & she's a lesbian.
Where I've come from, being gay & standing for public office usually ain' no thing.
Does it matter here in the UK?
If you're from Bracknell, I suspect it would...Never had a conversation with anyone on that particular matter, but judging by the votes for UKIP and BNP, I think I know the answer.

As for me, I'm not that keen on female politicians let alone as leader or PM.
I didn't like Sturgeon, Wood or Bennet the way they turned on Ed. I was ashamed of them, because I felt that as women they shouldn't be deliberately making it harder for Ed to make lives better, but they get a sniff of power and seem to lose their humanity. I expect it of men, [Sorry again] which was why Ed was such a pleasant surprise.
My prejudice is an age and generational thing so you'll have to excuse me. I accept it's a different world now but I can't seem to embrace it wholly.
Also I remember Maggie.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Thank you Robert for your earlier post about needing to resurrect and re-energise the Labour movement at a grass roots level. I agree with all you said there. I made myself stir out of my leaden state yesterday evening to ring around a few fellow canvassers and activists to firstly check how they were - aware how tough the physical walking etc had been on some - let alone the emotional plummet after the results. But I also wanted to say to them that we needed to get together soon and start working out what we can do to not lose our small active network inbetween elections but use and expand it to build energy and participation locally. So we are thinking along similar lines.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:
He already got elected in the USA, first time in 2008 assumed office Jan 2009.
I was being serious
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

Willow904 wrote:
yahyah wrote:It's giving me a new headache tbh.

In this media age do we go more by head than heart ?

Jarvis comes across well from what I've seen, and if we are leaching votes in the North someone who won't get written off by people who've shifted to UKIP must be an advantage.

But Jarvis would wind up the green leaners, because of his military background.
Don't know where he stands within Labour either...if anyone does would you mind sharing your views please ?

Would like a strong woman other than Cooper to consider, but she has too much baggage.

We don't have the luxury of the small parties, we need a leader who people of all types/ages/social groups will listen to.
I know next to nothing of Dan Jarvis but my instinct is that if Labour are looking for 'something completely different' he would probably fit the bill. He would be very hard for the MSM to attack, being one of 'our boys', which would be extremely useful for Labour as the unremitting media onslaught on Ed was a big factor in his failure to win.
Hi Willow,

Good point, the media would look a bit hypocritical attacking one of 'our boys' Many of the MSM, tabloids especially have made a point of supporting the armed services.

He may, as Yahyah points out put off green inclined voters and those alienated by the party's involvement in Iraq. However, it doesn't necessary follow that he'd be someone keen to get us involved in military 'adventures' (though it is a risk). He might actually be more inclined not to commit our troops so readily to oversea's interventions having seen what war is really like on the ground. He'll be more aware of the human cost, I would think. He might also understand better the need to have a plan for what needs to happen once the war is won, something missing from Iraq etc.

Yes, the media onslaught of Ed was a big factor in his failure, even though at the end many started warming to him, being able to see the real person behind the media manipulation, it was still not enough. (I still like Ed, the scum media won't change my mind about him). But even if it's Jarvis, (or anyone), they'll still come under an onslaught. Don't forget it is the same for any Labour leader. Historically, a lot of good leaders have failed to win for Labour, and the media have played a large part in this.
Smart has the plans, but stupid has the stories.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

How odd that link not working, but if you google search the wiki page comes up and its there and the address is exactly the same (I copied and pasted it) ?
Last edited by refitman on Sat 09 May, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: Link fixed
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Angela Eagle is articulate, experienced & she's a lesbian.
Where I've come from, being gay & standing for public office usually ain' no thing.
Does it matter here in the UK?
If you're from Bracknell, I suspect it would...Never had a conversation with anyone on that particular matter, but judging by the votes for UKIP and BNP, I think I know the answer.

As for me, I'm not that keen on female politicians let alone as leader or PM.
I didn't like Sturgeon, Wood or Bennet the way they turned on Ed. I was ashamed of them, because I felt that as women they shouldn't be deliberately making it harder for Ed to make lives better, but they get a sniff of power and seem to lose their humanity. I expect it of men, [Sorry again] which was why Ed was such a pleasant surprise.
My prejudice is an age and generational thing so you'll have to excuse me. I accept it's a different world now but I can't seem to embrace it wholly.
Also I remember Maggie.
I thank you sincerely, my friend. I needed to know, or have confirmed, maybe, what I suspected to be true. I understand. I needed to know.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

Willow904 wrote:
Swarthlander wrote:And the media are already muck-stirring. :evil:

"Go back to Blairite values" and "Will David Milliband aim for Leadership?"
If those are the answers then the question is total shite. :roll:
I'm fed up of people telling Labour what to do. Blairite values are Tory values and we've already got more than enough Tories, thank you.
Well said :clap:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I mentioned Tizme's account of her honest conversation with the Lib Dem candidate at her count to Mr Riots a few minutes ago and told him that Lib Dems who had left over the Clegg / Orange booker take over of their party now seem to be rejoining. He said that he thinks the party has always had a schism between the greater membership and the few at the top. He apparently had a Lib Dem girlfriend once and attended one of their conferences with her (the things you find out about someone after twenty plus years eh!). It was in the time of David Owen. He said that the hall was full of people like him and her - socially liberal pretty left wing in jeans, jumpers etc - with lots of chatter and buzz. It then fell absolutely silent and David Owen came in besuited and flanked by two burly minders. He came up to the podium - spoke - was applauded - and immediately left the hall again flanked by his minders. He said it was even then symbolic of the two completely different facets of the party - a leadership / top table which seemed utterly separate and ignoring of the greater membership. He didn't join and the relationship didn't flourish.

Mr Riots also said - to end this off - that one of the very few things that Blair said that he'd ever agreed with was that for a party supposedly to the left of Labour to go into coalition with the Tories was suicide.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
How odd that link not working, but if you google search the wiki page comes up and its there and the address is exactly the same (I copied and pasted it) ?
I thought you were playing. The link is to a fictional person, I think. Did I misunderstand? I replied in a joke manner because the impression President Obama gave many in the US (at least the political people I hung out with - okay, maybe I'm just odd, fair enough, if true) is that he rather sprung from the fog with little biography attached to him. Exquisitely intelligent, good-hearted, a Democrat, African-American, fair yet able to play well with Republicans...I haven't the slightest idea who the guy is to this day.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

@PK
Sorry about your sad news.

@CitizenJ/A
Did you find the link you were looking for?

The rest of you beautiful people.
So many times over the last few days, I've found myself trying to click like!
Your posts have been uplifting, insightful and encouraging and just plain lovely, so consider yourselves well and truly clicked.

And I'm still angry!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

daydreamer wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
yahyah wrote:It's giving me a new headache tbh.

In this media age do we go more by head than heart ?

Jarvis comes across well from what I've seen, and if we are leaching votes in the North someone who won't get written off by people who've shifted to UKIP must be an advantage.

But Jarvis would wind up the green leaners, because of his military background.
Don't know where he stands within Labour either...if anyone does would you mind sharing your views please ?

Would like a strong woman other than Cooper to consider, but she has too much baggage.

We don't have the luxury of the small parties, we need a leader who people of all types/ages/social groups will listen to.
I know next to nothing of Dan Jarvis but my instinct is that if Labour are looking for 'something completely different' he would probably fit the bill. He would be very hard for the MSM to attack, being one of 'our boys', which would be extremely useful for Labour as the unremitting media onslaught on Ed was a big factor in his failure to win.
Hi Willow,

Good point, the media would look a bit hypocritical attacking one of 'our boys' Many of the MSM, tabloids especially have made a point of supporting the armed services.

He may, as Yahyah points out put off green inclined voters and those alienated by the party's involvement in Iraq. However, it doesn't necessary follow that he'd be someone keen to get us involved in military 'adventures' (though it is a risk). He might actually be more inclined not to commit our troops so readily to oversea's interventions having seen what war is really like on the ground. He'll be more aware of the human cost, I would think. He might also understand better the need to have a plan for what needs to happen once the war is won, something missing from Iraq etc.

Yes, the media onslaught of Ed was a big factor in his failure, even though at the end many started warming to him, being able to see the real person behind the media manipulation, it was still not enough. (I still like Ed, the scum media won't change my mind about him). But even if it's Jarvis, (or anyone), they'll still come under an onslaught. Don't forget it is the same for any Labour leader. Historically, a lot of good leaders have failed to win for Labour, and the media have played a large part in this.
Yep. You're just about as correct as you could be. What the hell do we do.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:@PK
Sorry about your sad news.

@CitizenJ/A
Did you find the link you were looking for?

The rest of you beautiful people.
So many times over the last few days, I've found myself trying to click like!
Your posts have been uplifting, insightful and encouraging and just plain lovely, so consider yourselves well and truly clicked.

And I'm still angry!
Hallelujah, Ohso!
I'll find your post from yesterday.
I'm reading today & when I catch up a bit I'll seek some more.
I'm just glad you & everyone are here.
I've said this before. I didn't feel so terrible when my dad died. This is the worse heartache I've experienced. No joke.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
I thought you were playing. The link is to a fictional person, I think. Did I misunderstand? I replied in a joke manner because the impression President Obama gave many in the US (at least the political people I hung out with - okay, maybe I'm just odd, fair enough, if true) is that he rather sprung from the fog with little biography attached to him. Exquisitely intelligent, good-hearted, a Democrat, African-American, fair yet able to play well with Republicans...I haven't the slightest idea who the guy is to this day.
I don't know a lot about him but have an acquaintance in Hull who really rates him as a constituency MP
https://twitter.com/KarlTurnerMP
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: How odd that link not working, but if you google search the wiki page comes up and its there and the address is exactly the same (I copied and pasted it) ?
I don't know a lot about him but have an acquaintance in Hull who really rates him as a constituency MP
https://twitter.com/KarlTurnerMP
Apologies! I've got it now.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

PorFavor wrote:
JustMom wrote:'morning everyone, what do you all think of caroline flint as leader ?
Hello!

Are we pre-watershed, still?
:lol:
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AngryAsWell wrote:
AAW, the closing bracket was messing up the link (I blame PF ;) ). Have fixed it in your original post and the one I am replying to.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

On a different topic (but of interest to our animal loves here in the nest) the Dr Hadwen Trust (DHT) is set to open a vegan charity shop this summer in Hitchin.
The Dr Hadwen Trust are the UK's leading non-animal medical research charity

http://www.drhadwentrust.org/latest-new ... arity-shop
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

refitman wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
AAW, the closing bracket was messing up the link (I blame PF ;) ). Have fixed it in your original post and the one I am replying to.
Thank you :)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

We had the best, in my opinion, in Ed Miliband as Labour party leader.
So what the hell happened.
I don't know.
If people want Tories, they've got them.
It makes no difference if just a handful of people in a room of hundreds know what's good to do for people & country. Those hundreds can vote Tory & that's democracy, sure. Doesn't make it right when people & country suffer because of that democratic result.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

refitman wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

Ha! Philip Larkin wrote a poem about brackets, didn't he? If not, he must have got side-tracked.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

pk1 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
Exactly this.

How often we hear that politicians are nothing like us. Nobody could say that about Jarvis.

He has an interesting back story & has proven leadership skills - leading a troop of men in a war situation is something I suggest most of us will never have done in our lifetime.

Watch him when he speaks in Parliament, particularly at PMQ's - he speaks & all the caterwauling & insults stop. He commands silence in the House. He has gravitas.

I don't want a clown like Dave as my PM & if I can't have Ed, I'll have a man that speaks with authority & commands respect from all who hear him.

I'm still in shock, close to tears at times but yesterday evening also taught me that politics has to take a back seat when real life intrudes. My youngest son was on holiday in Spain with his girlfriend when his Dad, my ex, revealed that the lung cancer he developed 6 months after my own was discovered, had spread to his brain & he has a life expectancy iro 3 months. This is what I had to share with my boy at 1am when he got home, full of the joy of his holiday & I had to bring him crashing down to earth. :cry:
I'm so sorry, PK.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

On reflection if he isn't a rabid Blairite it has to be Jarvis.

Why, because we have to energise the UKIP tendency on the left and Jarvis will do that.

The rest are identikit politicians of various strengths and weaknesses and ideologies.

Can you imagine Paxman asking Jarvis if he was tough enough?
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Only 66% of the entire UK electorate voted?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I sympathise CJ/A

I haven't read a paper, watched the news on TV or even looked at Twitter. I still can't bear it. And if I start talking about it to Mr Ohso, I get a huge knot of anger build up in my chest.

I suppose it'll get better, but I can't get through, round or over it at present.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@TechnicalEphemera

Ponies' bottoms to you!

Edited

Ponies', even.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Just reading the LL Who might be next? and saw this below the line
"Doug Smith • an hour ago
Dan Jarvis: "Difficult to pin down ideologically". Jarvis is a vice-chair of Progress - i.e. he's on the Blairite hard-Right of the Labour Party."
I didn't know that, and not keen on going backwards :(
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tweets don't count, people, you've got to get registered to vote, go to the polling station on election day & vote for the person you love to tweet about & want to win.

34% didn't vote.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Thanks everyone but the bad news is not mine. The bad news belongs to my ex-husband & to my children. They are the ones hurting with that news, not me. I hurt for my boys because as a Mum, that's what we do ;)

My hurt is for the loss of a damn good man that had a vision for the country in which we all have a share & a country in which each was as worthy as the other.

It feels as though it will be a long long time before we get anything like that.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mark Ferguson @Markfergusonuk · 1h 1 hour ago
Hearing Mary Creagh is throwing her hat into the ring for Labour leader. More hats thrown than a fight in a hat shop at this rate
Now she is good. Always on top of her brief. Very good speaker - articulate, well briefed as I said, and can properly do passion.

Jarvis and Creagh - could be a good team?
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

Swarthlander wrote:From last March...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general ... eader.html
Steely-eyed messenger of death

And another positive - the Daily Heil don't like him.

:D
Yeah, but it says (not that you can trust The Telegraph)
Jarvis is a spoiler candidate. He is being inserted into the race to stop other candidates from winning: to “split the field” in Westminster jargon. The first person he is supposed to stop is Chuka Umunna, the shadow business secretary. Umunna is currently the voice of Labour’s new generation. Elected in 2010, he has, according to one shadow cabinet colleague, “got something we’ve been missing. A bit of magic”. So Jarvis is being sent out to scatter some of his own magic dust. As one Labour MP explains, “Dan’s being talked up to deliberately split the moderniser vote”.
And, yuk, Progress:
By whom? The current driving force behind the Jarvis campaign are Progress, the Blairite pressure group. Their motivation is threefold. Many Progress members have never forgiven Umunna’s youthful dalliance with rival Left-wing pressure group Compass. They also feel that after being marginalised under Ed Miliband, they need their own candidate to prove continuing influence. And they believe Jarvis’s lack of ideological baggage gives them an opportunity to shape his thinking and, by extension, the terms of Labour’s internal debate.
Though, like I said it's The Telegraph.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:I sympathise CJ/A

I haven't read a paper, watched the news on TV or even looked at Twitter. I still can't bear it. And if I start talking about it to Mr Ohso, I get a huge knot of anger build up in my chest.

I suppose it'll get better, but I can't get through, round or over it at present.
I hear you & I can't thank you enough for pinpointing exactly how I feel. My husband & I are in shock. We're beside ourselves.

Apologies to you all here if I've misunderstood something & responded in some way inexplicable. Please know I don't mean any harm at all.
Last edited by citizenJA on Sat 09 May, 2015 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

pk1 wrote:Thanks everyone but the bad news is not mine. The bad news belongs to my ex-husband & to my children. They are the ones hurting with that news, not me. I hurt for my boys because as a Mum, that's what we do ;)

My hurt is for the loss of a damn good man that had a vision for the country in which we all have a share & a country in which each was as worthy as the other.

It feels as though it will be a long long time before we get anything like that.
(my bold)
Exactly this.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

AngryAsWell wrote:Just reading the LL Who might be next? and saw this below the line
Dan Jarvis: "Difficult to pin down ideologically". Jarvis is a vice-chair of Progress - i.e. he's on the Blairite hard-Right of the Labour Party."
http://www.progressonline.org.uk/about- ... r-patrons/

Yep! Maybe not a good choice afterall. :(
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Hello, ohsocynical. This is a tough time, isn't it? And just as I thought the Labour Party was turning the corner. It's not only that we've lost an inspirational leader, but it seems likely that we will lose the values that he stood for. That's a double blow.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:

Hello, ohsocynical. This is a tough time, isn't it? And just as I thought the Labour Party was turning the corner. It's not only that we've lost an inspirational leader, but it seems likely that we will lose the values that he stood for. That's a double blow.
Yep.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Has anyone heard how Sue Marsh is getting on at Unum?

I wonder if part of her strategy in taking that job was based on a Labour government - or at least another coalition government?
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

citizenJA wrote:

I hear you & I can't thank you enough for pinpointing exactly how I feel. My husband & I are in shock. We're beside ourselves.

Apologies to you all here if I've misunderstood something & responded in some way inexplicable. Please know I don't mean any harm at all.
I think we all know that cJA

It's only been a day and a bit. Time will heal.

The Tories may yet implode. There will be some Tories that are not happy Cameron did so well. It's buggered up their future careers. :P
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:
Thanks everyone but the bad news is not mine. The bad news belongs to my ex-husband & to my children. They are the ones hurting with that news, not me. I hurt for my boys because as a Mum, that's what we do ;)
I got that and I'd hoped that my message to you conveyed that I did. Sorry if I failed on that score. In many ways, it's probably harder to hurt for a child's pain than for your own.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

Ah! I see I am now a Committee Chair.
In that case my committee will not meet unless it is fully catered by Lady C. 8-)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Andy Burnham is a fine man, never thought anything but the best about him.
Andy Burnham was led by a fine man.
Is Andy Burnham a leader of the Labour party?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Martin Rowson @MartinRowson · 22h 22 hours ago
If anyone cares at this point, I'm gunning (geddit?) for Dan Jarvis as leader. Labour needs someone who can kill Cameron with his bare hands
Thank you Martin Rowson. Managed to make me smile - even today.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

citizenJA wrote: Is Andy Burnham a leader of the Labour party?
In my opinion no. Too much baggage.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

AngryAsWell wrote:Just reading the LL Who might be next? and saw this below the line
He has John Mann's backing though and that guy is no Blairite.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.