Tuesday 12th May 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Re: Tuesday 12th May 2015

Post by ephemerid »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ephemerid wrote:New Minister for disabled people is Justin Tomlinson.
In the last Parliament, he voted - for bedroom tax, crisis/hardship help to be the responsibility of LAs, reductions in benefit spending; and against: with-inflation rises in benefits, and higher amounts for those sick and/or disabled for long periods.

As Priti Patel, who thinks that British workers are the "idlers of Europe", is minister for employment, and now Tomlinson who voted as above is minister for people with disabilities, IDS has minions in place who despise the people they are in government to deal with.

Not looking good.
I know someone who used to work with Tomlinson, and apparently he's not a swivel eyed loon at all. But as you say, he voted for all that stuff.

And the £12bn is hanging over the whole social security budget. £45 per week per working age claimant. I've wondered before if they have any attention of keeping that promise- looked like a balancing figure to me, put in so that the "right" answer was reached. Tomlinson might actually be an OK appointment in that he'll have more of a sense of the limits than some would.

That £12 billion - it is indeed £45PW per claimant.

As with the £20BN cuts which actually saved just £2BN, these cuts won't save a lot either.

Cutting Child Benefit to allow only the first 2 children to be eligible might save a bit - it's easy to administer.
Freezing the rates of all benefits for a few years is estimated to save about £2BN.
All the other benefits involve either DWP, HMRC, and LAs - sometimes all three - to administer. It costs a fortune.

This is what happens for one sanction -
Interview at JCP; referral for sanction paperwork has to be completed and sent to DMA (that's decision-making and appeals section); DMA staff have to check the referral; if a sanction applies, letters must be sent to the claimant, the referring JCP, the LA; if the claimant decides to appeal there is a whole new tranche of paperwork to be done, and the whole process happens again.
If the claimant needs a hardship claim, another set of paperwork has to be done, and letters sent etc. if a nil-income Housing Benefit claim has to be done, ditto; if the claimant appeals, yet another set has to be done and sent to DMA for Mandatory Reconsideration, which involves a whole new set of letters etc. to be sent out when the decision is confirmed or rejected.
If the sanctions are going to be ramped up again, it'll cost a fortune.

There are rumours that more people will be subject to bedroom tax. There are 600,000 already and it has been said there will be a million. The group which over-occupies the most is pensioners; many of them get HB. Then there is the working poor.
Again, this is expensive to administer, especially in larger families as circumstances change; plus there are all the extra costs of moving people into the private sector with its higher rents plus the costs of appeals etc. Not many savings there.
LAs will be in charge of hardship support, and they can do what they like - they don't have to offer anything if they don't want to as the money they will get is not ring-fenced; same applies to the ILF replacement funding which is 20% less than before.

I suspect that the cuts will be vicious in terms of the people affected by them - there will be more hunger and homelessness.
But - I doubt that the things I've mentioned here will save more than a billion or so; they're too costly to administer.

What I think will happen, along with all the above, is a couple of big-ticket items that are guaranteed to save a lot.
My bet is the abolition of the higher rates for ESA.
I think that getting rid of WRAG and SG will save about £5BN PA, and bring sickness support down to the level of JSA.
Universal Credit will cut a lot more - and they are determined to get it rolled out, whatever the consequences.

Things are not looking good for claimants - and as IDS has said that he isn't going to be "cheese-paring" but expecting to impose what he calls behavioural change, he may well attack lone parents and other groups like WRAG claimants and expect them to work.

I have no idea how he intends to magic up the millions of jobs required, so I also expect an increase in mandatory workfare.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

[youtube]va3qNi6d5Ww[/youtube]

Just been checking out Tristram Hunt and whoever it was who said he was good is right. I was impressed. He was on top of the economy as well as his specific education brief, but there were a couple of other moments that really stood out. One where he baldly stated that the Tories lie which I loved and another moment where Wark was saying 'that all sounds very good but..' when he interjected with 'you should vote Labour then', which was funny but also very cleverly obliterated her 'but'.
Bit weird he's related to Virginia Bottomley, though. Does that mean he's related to Jeremy too? I guess it means he's well placed to know the enemy, but would such connections be a problem? Maybe if he's good enough, it won't matter. At least he's got plenty of TV experience - looking the part won't be a problem for him.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Willow904 wrote:[youtube]va3qNi6d5Ww[/youtube]

Just been checking out Tristram Hunt and whoever it was who said he was good is right. I was impressed. He was on top of the economy as well as his specific education brief, but there were a couple of other moments that really stood out. One where he baldly stated that the Tories lie which I loved and another moment where Wark was saying 'that all sounds very good but..' when he interjected with 'you should vote Labour then', which was funny but also very cleverly obliterated her 'but'.
Bit weird he's related to Virginia Bottomley, though. Does that mean he's related to Jeremy too? I guess it means he's well placed to know the enemy, but would such connections be a problem? Maybe if he's good enough, it won't matter. At least he's got plenty of TV experience - looking the part won't be a problem for him.
Not put a page up for him yet as I've not seen him declare, but must admit I am leaning towards him. Shall I do his page now (so I can put your link on) or stick to (my own) rule of only doing a page when they declare?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

@AngryAsWell

I'd wait for him to declare, just to be consistent. I can save the link to add if necessary.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

One of the big problems that I have with Tristram Hunt is that, whenever his name is mentioned, I always get a mental picture of Zac Goldsmith. That's not at all his (TH's) fault but, if I have to keep recalibrating my brain - when I know perfectly well who he is and what he looks like - what effect does his name have on everyone else? If I'm the only one, though, then obviously there's no problem. Perhaps I just suffer from a unique mental hiccup.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Ephie, I wonder if councils could be leaned on to build some housing. This is the last thing that they want to do, but their borrowing is off the (ludicrously) all-important Osborne balance sheet.

There are some fairly easy savings from the housing benefit bill there, and it would give Cameron a nice line to use.

Of course, he'll shit on social housing by flogging off HA places cheap, but it'll take a while for that to be felt, I reckon.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

One excellent result from 2015 I hadn't looked at before:

Debbie Abrahams has a majority of 6,000 instead of the 103 that the awful Phil Woolas had last time. Of course, the Lib Dems had been second before. But nonetheless she got double UKIP's vote, and went up by 7.5 points compared to the Tories 0.5 points.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

mikems wrote:The other thing I wanted to say after these days of pain, is that we need to be much braver. When we are confronted with a corrupt and complicit media that refuses to debate policy proposals and insists on forcing narratives on us, we should call it for what it is - an attempt to smother democratic debate in the interests of the richest and most corrupt.

The tories have dishonestly done this for decades, and now reap the rewards as the media thinks it is its duty to parrot tory party propaganda, rather than inspire real debate.

We must call them on it, every time it happens, which, at the moment, is all the f*cking time.
Tbh, the false narratives, in the absence of being able to be rejected in the usual media, have been challenged over and over in social media of different kinds and reached large audiences. The baffling thing has been no matter with how great authority, common sense, factual evidence this has been done certain false narratives are accepted as truth.

If you pick at someone's support for such things, say the no money note, they will admit to knowing it was a pretty poor joke, but will react as if they fully be.ieve it anyway. I belong to a large forum which has a majority of quite fed up but naive members, often not sure what they should think. Fairly reflective of large numbers of people in the everyday world, I'm presuming. Anyway, my observation is that offered the false narrative such people react, and think later. Even, I have to say, to false counter-narratives.

I've had some issues over this, because what is more disempowering than to be told the regime or person you are faced with is evil? It gives your antagonist a supreme advantage, in one four letter word they have become all powerful. And I just can't resist when I see it

These are the techniques of brainwashing, a term I use very cautiously, for exactly the same reasons. I certainly don't want anyone thinking, oh that's it these people react the way they do because they are brainwashed, it's not nuanced, but the term is useful if you add another, conditioning. Dog owners do this, when they house train their animals or provide a useful or more practical deterrent to chewing everything in sight, my friend uses one of those rubbery balls with a space to put a small treat, but only fills the space sometimes. Her dogs stop chewing things up, and retrieve balls at every opportunity! Another kind of issue! I guess we have lots of useful conditioning as humans, well I know it, because mt condition means I'm losing something called automaticity, which is at the same time extremely fascinating, bloody annoying and a bit embarrassing too. Stuff we take for granted. So I guess on bigger boards than this I can be a bit of a nuisance, because we are ALL guilty of being conditioned by Tory thinking. And I ride in with a flurry of words, very annoying for people who don't get past the twat or slime kind comment.

Whether we jump positively or negatively is irrelevant, just that we jump. people who think they are savvy don't like this pointed out. I believe it is the crucial factor in why the country is so polarised. Which ever way we jump it can be used. So no jumping. What this means in terms of opposing this stuff, setting the narratives, and so on is tricky. I'm reminded of an old Steven King book, in which there is a polarised battle ahead. A flawed but mostly good community and a selfish mechanistic warlike community. The good communities first communal act was to reaffirm the constitution - I, know American author - but some posts earlier reminded me of it. It functioned as a reaffirmation of a certain type of set of values after a major social collapse. Well, I think there's an analogy there, because we are being hollowed from within. Draw your own conclusions about the effect of the uniform benefit cap for instance. Not imposed on the individual but the household. The withdrawal of services. Collapse with no visible collapse.

Whatever you've got going in terms of communal action there are shared commonalities. In a world where there are few positive certainties, I like the idea of setting out a statement that doesn't just adopt a stance just for labour, but is universal.simple, but something that helps define good societies so,people can see what's missing. I dunno, a sort of standard to rally round, as I'm always so aware we have no constitution or code that does this. Or an antidote to the narratives. Oh, look I've done it again, my apologies, all this reflection turns me into a dreadful wordhog. :oops: but that what I was working to. An antidote to the jumping. A way to create something constant or enduring in a time when we are losing so much.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

I dunno, a sort of standard to rally round, as I'm always so aware we have no constitution or code that does this.
The UN Charter is supposed to be our guiding light in how to build decent societies.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

PorFavor wrote:One of the big problems that I have with Tristram Hunt is that, whenever his name is mentioned, I always get a mental picture of Zac Goldsmith. That's not at all his (TH's) fault but, if I have to keep recalibrating my brain - when I know perfectly well who he is and what he looks like - what effect does his name have on everyone else? If I'm the only one, though, then obviously there's no problem. Perhaps I just suffer from a unique mental hiccup.
I really think he should have changed his name. Tristram for heavens sake. Anything (except Mike) would be better.
Release the Guardvarks.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

@seeingclearly

In searching for inspiration I've been trawling through political quotes but they're just so depressing, like this one by Mark Twain:

“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”

It just seemed to me to sum up what we're up against and reflects what you say about people still being swayed by Tory arguments, despite appearing to accept counter arguments that debunk them.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
PorFavor wrote:One of the big problems that I have with Tristram Hunt is that, whenever his name is mentioned, I always get a mental picture of Zac Goldsmith. That's not at all his (TH's) fault but, if I have to keep recalibrating my brain - when I know perfectly well who he is and what he looks like - what effect does his name have on everyone else? If I'm the only one, though, then obviously there's no problem. Perhaps I just suffer from a unique mental hiccup.
I really think he should have changed his name. Tristram for heavens sake. Anything (except Mike) would be better.

Ha!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

LadyCentauria wrote:Thanks for the owl, cJA!
You're welcome!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

P.S. If the images cause website instability for some reason please, Refitman, let me know. I'm not going to use them often anyway.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Ha!
Hunty. He's Hunty. I'm sorry it's not anything more wild or catchy. But there's work to do & Tristram is better called Hunty for brevity. Just try it out. People in Stoke know. I don't know if Hunty digs it or not. I'll not call him that if he says to stop. But get serious. I stumble over the first two letters in his first name. Hunty it is.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Warwick?

As non-Labour member, I hope (which, by the way, is where I still live (just North of Peterborough) - the view's changed a bit though :shock: ) you won't object to my chipping in (I might be a member by vote time though)...I'm liking Hunty more and more...this is a GQ interview by Campbellclaret last December - interesting takes on various bits, but especially UKIP...

Should Labour not be 30 points ahead then?

It is a different political world. In Stoke-on-Trent, UKIP did well in the European elections, and in many traditional Labour areas, and we can't ignore that. If you have UKIP and low turnout it is a complicated situation.

What do you think of Putin?

I think you do have to understand Putin's sense of Russian and Soviet history, understand his connection with the Orthodox Church and the political contours in which he operates. All that said, the actions he takes are very worrying from a Western perspective. But it is no good just saying he is an evil, bad man. Everyone operates within a context. The tragedy is Russia has had this wealth from natural-resource prices and have not used it to rebuild civil society or infrastructure and too much flows here to London.

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/comment/ar ... r-campbell

...and the quiz is - how would TCC have answered these questions? (Well, the second one, anyway)

...and Hunty wrote this (about Engels)...

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2009/a ... stram-hunt

I think it matters less who it is though, more what they say and how they say it.

TTFN (again)
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
A nickname is bestowed. Hunty got his from Damien McBride.

:rock:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Have we had this yet?

Gove's minister at Justice is.... Dominic Raab.

I fucking despair. It was obvious this would happen. Because of the nature of this board, everyone informs themselves about what the Tories actually do and cares about it, wherever they are on the left and however they vote, and I respect all of them and wish only that we could have earned their votes.

There are lots of leftists though who really don't care. Thanks, chaps. Thanks.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Tue 12 May, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
A friend of mine had an Arab x called Tristian (well its similar) she called him Tris which eventually sort of fell into being Chris. Perhaps we should drop him a line...
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

Could be entertaining... or frightening.

Farage going for a Labour seat
Asked about his future ambitions on BBC 5Live, he said: “I would look forward to a byelection in a Labour seat very much indeed.”
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -held-seat
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Lonewolfie wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Warwick?

As non-Labour member, I hope (which, by the way, is where I still live (just North of Peterborough) - the view's changed a bit though :shock: ) you won't object to my chipping in (I might be a member by vote time though)...I'm liking Hunty more and more...this is a GQ interview by Campbellclaret last December - interesting takes on various bits, but especially UKIP...

Should Labour not be 30 points ahead then?

It is a different political world. In Stoke-on-Trent, UKIP did well in the European elections, and in many traditional Labour areas, and we can't ignore that. If you have UKIP and low turnout it is a complicated situation.

What do you think of Putin?

I think you do have to understand Putin's sense of Russian and Soviet history, understand his connection with the Orthodox Church and the political contours in which he operates. All that said, the actions he takes are very worrying from a Western perspective. But it is no good just saying he is an evil, bad man. Everyone operates within a context. The tragedy is Russia has had this wealth from natural-resource prices and have not used it to rebuild civil society or infrastructure and too much flows here to London.

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/comment/ar ... r-campbell

...and the quiz is - how would TCC have answered these questions? (Well, the second one, anyway)

...and Hunty wrote this (about Engels)...

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2009/a ... stram-hunt

I think it matters less who it is though, more what they say and how they say it.

TTFN (again)
Interesting post, Lonewolfie. Thank you. I agree with you. Building Jerusalem is his historical work on the making of industrial cities during the turn of the nineteenth century. Manchester, Glasgow, Liverpool, Leeds, Birmingham, Sheffield...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Swarthlander wrote:Could be entertaining... or frightening.

Asked about his future ambitions on BBC 5Live, he said: “I would look forward to a byelection in a Labour seat very much indeed.”
Someone pass me the smelling salts...
Keep your hands off the owls, Mr. Farage.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Blimey, another day with loads of posts :)

I have been garden centre shopping today at Woodsruff Yard in Lewes which is the home of this fine young man. He shares a political leaning with us. I told him about this place so if he does sign up, please be nice to him :D

Right, I'm off to start reading all your posts from page 1. I may be gone some time.....
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Swarthlander wrote:Could be entertaining... or frightening.

This is a situation that could come up at any time and is the sort of thing we shouldn't allow to blind-side us. Difficult to have any minute-detailed contingency plans for though, I admit, since the constituency will, obviously, shape any campaign. What a trophy a former Labour seat would represent to the unresigned Nigel Farage.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Scrapping the Human Rights Act would be a breach of the Good Friday agreement that sealed the peace process in Northern Ireland, a Belfast-based human rights organisation has said.

The Conservative government’s plans to ditch the HRA would also violate an international treaty as the agreement in 1998 was an accord between two sovereign states - the UK and the Irish Republic, according to the committee on the administration of justice.

The CAJ is seeking an urgent meeting with Theresa Villiers – who was re-appointed by David Cameron as Northern Ireland secretary in his new cabinet – about the threat to the HRA. (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... -agreement
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Another reason to wonder about the polling errors Tubby.

Not saying it was a conspiracy, but it certainly didn't help people who thought they had the luxury of not voting Labour to make a good decision in their constituency.
Thank you for this, Yahyah, well said. People were intentionally manipulated. No conspiracy. Just historical events.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

pk1 wrote:Blimey, another day with loads of posts :)

I have been garden centre shopping today at Woodsruff Yard in Lewes which is the home of this fine young man. He shares a political leaning with us. I told him about this place so if he does sign up, please be nice to him :D

Right, I'm off to start reading all your posts from page 1. I may be gone some time.....
I loved this chalkboard message! Wonderful.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Are we having a slow down again ?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Ephie, I wonder if councils could be leaned on to build some housing. This is the last thing that they want to do, but their borrowing is off the (ludicrously) all-important Osborne balance sheet.

There are some fairly easy savings from the housing benefit bill there, and it would give Cameron a nice line to use.

Of course, he'll shit on social housing by flogging off HA places cheap, but it'll take a while for that to be felt, I reckon.

That's a good idea.

I'm not sure how you'd go about it - maybe go to open council meetings and pester them there? Or write a lot? Petitions?

I'm inclined to think that most councils know what the local position is in terms of the people they have to deal with who need hardship help and food vouchers because of the bedroom tax or the new council tax charges. They know what these folks need.
They need fewer sanctions, better decision-making, higher levels of benefits, much better wages - and housing they can afford.
All out of the councils' control.

I don't know enough about how councils can use their power for borrowing etc. but it would make sense to build rentals that would pay for themselves eventually; plus lots of opportunities for jobs and skills training in building and maintenance.
If it was do-able, surely some of them would have done it by now?
All the publicity over the various estates in London - where the people are being moved on and the sites developed - councils are flogging off these places to developers and moving their tenants out, some of them miles away and some of them into private lets.
I wonder what they plan to spend the proceeds on, as it doesn't seem to be council housing, does it?

Housing is the biggest social problem we have, IMHO. What we need is a massive nationwide building programme for council homes to rent only, with long secure tenancies - and the Tories won't do it.
What council homes are left they want to flog off; we know that a significant number end up with BTL landlords. The HAs have got some god things going with mixed estates, rentals, shared ownership, sales - but if Cameron gets his way (and I agree it'll take time as these properties are not his to flog) they will all be sold off too.

I have no idea how to get this going - help me out here, people.....
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@ephemerid

Thank you, ephe, for your facts and figures regarding the 20bn welfare cuts that actually save the exchequer £2bn; we can always rely on you. I expect another £2bn and much, much more comes from council budgets too and the goodwill of citizens. 'And that doesn't even touch on the cruel hardship imposed on the dispossessed and vulnerable.

Anyway perhaps I should look back and see what updated info may be available. FOI anybody? Maybe one for Channel 4's Fact Check blog since individual councils and housing associations be involved. What I'm alluding to is that the nominal DWP Risk Register for Under-occupancy Penalty furnished per case administration costs of applications for DHP and appeals. We do not, of course, have their number.

Ha, ha. I may not be familiar with government department risk registers, but those I have seen from this (last) government in no way measure up to my own expectations of those provided in degree level academia. I'm pretty damn sure the civil service typically abides by higher standards. Silly me! How many have been replaced by apparatchiks?

Thanks for your concern. It may not affect me personally but my grimace through gritted teeth may just pass for a smile.

Edit: Reports or minutes, RoT? You've given us some examples.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Tue 12 May, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

yahyah wrote:I know Michael White cuts no mustard around here, but does he make a good point when he says 'defeated parties always prefer to cling to their comfort blanket'.

He's referring to the Lib Dems, or Liberals as Farron seems to be calling them now, choosing Farron over Lamb. But it is something Labour needs to be careful of in the coming months.
Farron is the right - indeed the only rational - choice for them right now. There *might* have been a case for Lamb had they held 20-25 seats, but they didn't.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

They need to look at how Manchester is doing
Greater Manchester councils unveil shared housebuilding plan
http://www.lgcplus.com/news/greater-man ... 96.article

Work starts on innovative home building masterplan for Manchester
http://www.manchester.gov.uk/news/artic ... manchester

and how they deal with other aspects of housing like rentals and empty homes
http://www.manchester.gov.uk/news/10000 ... d_property
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Eric_WLothian wrote:A crazy idea (imo) coming from Scottish Labour:
FORMER Scottish Labour leadership contender Neil Findlay has said that the party in Scotland should be fully independent from Labour at UK level to allow it to have different position on key issues such as opposition to Trident.
Mr Findlay made the call for an independent Scottish Labour Party, as he also said that calls by figures such as former cabinet minister Lord Mandelson to move back to New Labour-style policies would “go down like a bucket of vomit” north of the Border.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3769989
How could that work if Labour had power in Westminster? No Scottish ministers, because they're in a different party? Coalition with the Scottish party?

The SNP doesn't allow dissent of any kind within the party. Isn't the Labour Party better than that?
Its not that crazy IMO - just our own version of the CDU/CSU thing in Germany. Which seems to work fairly well.

I can see Labour, Tories and LibDems in Scotland all going that way in the coming decade (assuming the UK is still about) Of course, the Greens are there already.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:
Scrapping the Human Rights Act would be a breach of the Good Friday agreement that sealed the peace process in Northern Ireland, a Belfast-based human rights organisation has said.

The Conservative government’s plans to ditch the HRA would also violate an international treaty as the agreement in 1998 was an accord between two sovereign states - the UK and the Irish Republic, according to the committee on the administration of justice.

The CAJ is seeking an urgent meeting with Theresa Villiers – who was re-appointed by David Cameron as Northern Ireland secretary in his new cabinet – about the threat to the HRA. (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... -agreement
Thank you for that PF. They are constitutionally and legally illiterate. Rushing out these great proclamations - ignoring everyone with actual knowledge who tells them why it's not a good or simply done idea. They even bosh together their own draft for a Bill of Rights and how it would work - which is apparently ludicrous in its lack of detail, gaps and brevity.

And still they have to be reminded of such basic but very important things as this ... checking for consistency with / potential impact on other binding agreements.

Stupid.
Working on the wild side.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

DonutHingeParty wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:Chuka, please no no no.
To veer, so violently, from Ed Miliband to Chuka Umunna would dent Labour's credibility - probably irretrievably. It would be akin to renaming (again) the Party. I don't believe we could get away with it.
Chukka Umunna was one of the Labour MPs who put Ed Miliband forward for leader. I don't think he's as Blairite as people paint him.
That was then and this is now - he is fundamentally an opportunist, the main reason why I'm not voting for him.

(and if he was really texting Labour candidates within minutes of the exit poll being released on Thursday night, as rumoured, so much the worse)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

There's a petition doing the rounds to have a referendum about scrapping the HR Act. I don't feel very hopeful of success
https://www.change.org/p/david-cameron- ... reason_msg
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
DonutHingeParty wrote:
PorFavor wrote: To veer, so violently, from Ed Miliband to Chuka Umunna would dent Labour's credibility - probably irretrievably. It would be akin to renaming (again) the Party. I don't believe we could get away with it.
Chukka Umunna was one of the Labour MPs who put Ed Miliband forward for leader. I don't think he's as Blairite as people paint him.
That was then and this is now - he is fundamentally an opportunist, the main reason why I'm not voting for him.

(and if he was really texting Labour candidates within minutes of the exit poll being released on Thursday night, as rumoured, so much the worse)
Thanks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:A crazy idea (imo) coming from Scottish Labour:
FORMER Scottish Labour leadership contender Neil Findlay has said that the party in Scotland should be fully independent from Labour at UK level to allow it to have different position on key issues such as opposition to Trident.
Mr Findlay made the call for an independent Scottish Labour Party, as he also said that calls by figures such as former cabinet minister Lord Mandelson to move back to New Labour-style policies would “go down like a bucket of vomit” north of the Border.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3769989
How could that work if Labour had power in Westminster? No Scottish ministers, because they're in a different party? Coalition with the Scottish party?

The SNP doesn't allow dissent of any kind within the party. Isn't the Labour Party better than that?
Its not that crazy IMO - just our own version of the CDU/CSU thing in Germany. Which seems to work fairly well.

I can see Labour, Tories and LibDems in Scotland all going that way in the coming decade (assuming the UK is still about) Of course, the Greens are there already.
I see no reason why SLAB wouldn't look like SDLP sort of does, kind of takes the Labour whip in the commons but a separate party.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 4m4 minutes ago
got news on @ukip v carswell money row...

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 3m3 minutes ago
understand @DouglasCarswell was approached by @ukip secretary yesterday & asked to recruit 15 extra staff for his parliamentary office.

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 2m2 minutes ago
its believed details of the dispute were made public by @ukip figures after @DouglasCarswell said no

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 1m1 minute ago
sources close to clacton MP have described @UKIP top brass plan to spend £650k on new staff as 'improper', adding 'its not what we're about'

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 18s19 seconds ago
.@DouglasCarswell told BBC 'I am not a US senator', adding 'i dont need 15 staff...@ukip is supposed to be different'.
:lol: You can hear the oink, oinks from here.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 4m4 minutes ago
got news on @ukip v carswell money row...

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 3m3 minutes ago
understand @DouglasCarswell was approached by @ukip secretary yesterday & asked to recruit 15 extra staff for his parliamentary office.

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 2m2 minutes ago
its believed details of the dispute were made public by @ukip figures after @DouglasCarswell said no

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 1m1 minute ago
sources close to clacton MP have described @UKIP top brass plan to spend £650k on new staff as 'improper', adding 'its not what we're about'

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 18s19 seconds ago
.@DouglasCarswell told BBC 'I am not a US senator', adding 'i dont need 15 staff...@ukip is supposed to be different'.
:lol: You can hear the oink, oinks from here.
Just saw that myself and posted it only to see yours :lol: so deleted mine :lol:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The Guardian ‏@guardian · 1 min1 minute ago
Ben Bradshaw set to enter race for Labour deputy leadership http://trib.al/f1QHF1w
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:The Guardian ‏@guardian · 1 min1 minute ago
Ben Bradshaw set to enter race for Labour deputy leadership http://trib.al/f1QHF1w

I see he's been given the tag 'Blairite' in various tweets. Is this how everything is going to be framed from now on?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

I see he's been given the tag 'Blairite' in various tweets. Is this how everything is going to be framed from now on?
Probably, but then we need some method of identifying where candidates stand politically and its an easily understood description. What we then have to work out is if the description is right.....
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I think the problem with Findlay's idea is that it leaves us with the same problem (assuming we ever win more than 1 seat in Scotland). People in England and Wales were spooked enough by pseudo-left SNPers influencing the budget. I can't see they'll be less than spooked by a proper leftist like Neil Findlay influencing it.

Findlay was excellent in the campaign, whatever misgivings he must have had.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

rebeccariots2 wrote:... Thank you for that PF. They are constitutionally and legally illiterate. Rushing out these great proclamations - ignoring everyone with actual knowledge who tells them why it's not a good or simply done idea. They even bosh together their own draft for a Bill of Rights and how it would work - which is apparently ludicrous in its lack of detail, gaps and brevity.

And still they have to be reminded of such basic but very important things as this ... checking for consistency with / potential impact on other binding agreements.

Stupid.
'And thank you too, rebecca, PF, ephe, RoT et al. It rather neatly ties in with my observation of reports, risk registers, etc., etc.

Edit: doesn't Cameron have an Oxford First in PPE? Why the hell is he so amateur then?
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I notice that they now have a Minister for the Northern Powerhouse.

So what happens when that NP asks for all schools to come under its control?

I worked out a while ago how many different academy sponsors there were in the area - quite a few IIRC,

I'm assuming the NP thing is only there to divide and rule - and presumably they hope that a Tory will take over as El Presidente Localisme.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Human Rights Act: What is it and why does Michael Gove want to scrap the policy?
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 40527.html
Good piece. Sets out the basics very clearly - and also the ridiculous way the HRA has come to be used to beat the European courts as abusing our sovereign / judicial powers when the reverse will be true if it is abolished - people will then have to go to European rather than British courts to defend their human rights.

One very concerning point I hadn't realised re the HRA is this:
The Act also imposes a duty upon governments to provide free and fair elections.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AngryAsWell wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Probably, but then we need some method of identifying where candidates stand politically and its an easily understood description. What we then have to work out is if the description is right.....

I must admit to having to resort to Wikipedia to refresh my memory on some specifics of his record in government as I could mainly recall that I found him a bit "shiny" if that makes sense. Can't say that I found it particularly impressive.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I think the problem with Findlay's idea is that it leaves us with the same problem (assuming we ever win more than 1 seat in Scotland). People in England and Wales were spooked enough by pseudo-left SNPers influencing the budget. I can't see they'll be less than spooked by a proper leftist like Neil Findlay influencing it.

Findlay was excellent in the campaign, whatever misgivings he must have had.
The people in rUK who were spooked mostly see the SNP as insane ultra-leftists (which is how they are normally portrayed by the London right wing press)

It would have been, and will be, harder to scare them with the idea of rUK Labour dealing with a sister Scottish party - especially if (as likely) the Scots Tories go the same way.
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Tue 12 May, 2015 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.