Wednesday 13th May

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 13th May

Post by PorFavor »

@yahyah

Hello. No - you didn't miss my mentioning Mike Hancock being swept in on the popular vote, as he liked to pretend that he would be. (No doubt to obscure the fact that he was standing simply to qualify for the pay-off which ohsocynical mentioned). At the time, Mike Hancock had rather slipped off my radar. As were you, I was too upset. I think I was genuinely medically in shock.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Have just put Andy Burnham's page up in F&A
If anyone sees any interesting bits and bobs about the candidates would you please add it to their page :)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Find out about recent elections

Looking for results of elections held on Thursday 7 May?

Results are declared by the Returning Officer for each constituency.

Results of the UK Parliamentary election are available from the BBC.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/f ... ction-2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The link to the BBC for information regarding the GE is below

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2015/results" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm unable to locate information about how many postal ballots were counted.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Just a thought. Today on the radio there was a programme about how we view time.
Basically they said if you have an event you need to plan for and you're given two times. eg: 5 years or 1,833 days which timescale gave you the stronger feeling of urgency.

A large proportion of those tested chose, 1,833 days, when in fact 5 years is 1,833 days...

And that folks is how many days it is to the next election. [With 2 days added for leap years.]
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

Estimating voter registration Editor's note 8 May 2015: This story, originally entitled Voters 'rise faster than population', has been removed following a clarification from the Electoral Commission that they have not officially released any new estimate of voter registration numbers. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32625776" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MsChin
Backbencher

Post by MsChin »

ohsocynical wrote:And I'll add once again. Very few young voters.

We or rather Labour mustn't forget that we have to re-register every time we want to vote, so each time it'll be the same thing. A lot of time and energy spent on even getting them to register. Let alone vote.

Proud to say my two eldest grandchildren voted. They've never bothered before.
My son and d-i-l had registered their autistic daughter who was 18 in 2014, to vote, but she balked at going into a booth on her own.
As they weren't allowed to go in with her, they had applied for a postal vote [they thought in plenty of time] but were told it was too late.
Had to drop in to say that your g.d could have been assisted to vote either by her parent or by the presiding officer at the polling station. There's a form to fill in to say a disabled person was assisted but if the PO assists, then parent / carer doesn't have to. Also, the PO can assist away from the booth, even in the car park if that's what the individual needs - disability discrimination law means things are much better. We even have Braille guides & magnifying glasses these days. I did 2 assisted votes last week so I know it works.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Just Googled electoral fraud...Sorry about the Mail link and naturally it's blaming Labour, but they forget if one party could do it, so could others.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/electio ... ction.html

http://www.democraticaudit.com/?p=1870

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 27175.html

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/_ ... report.pdf
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

MsChin wrote:

We or rather Labour mustn't forget that we have to re-register every time we want to vote, so each time it'll be the same thing. A lot of time and energy spent on even getting them to register. Let alone vote.

My son and d-i-l had registered their autistic daughter who was 18 in 2014, to vote, but she balked at going into a booth on her own.
As they weren't allowed to go in with her, they had applied for a postal vote [they thought in plenty of time] but were told it was too late.
Had to drop in to say that your g.d could have been assisted to vote either by her parent or by the presiding officer at the polling station. There's a form to fill in to say a disabled person was assisted but if the PO assists, then parent / carer doesn't have to. Also, the PO can assist away from the booth, even in the car park if that's what the individual needs - disability discrimination law means things are much better. We even have Braille guides & magnifying glasses these days. I did 2 assisted votes last week so I know it works.
I wish I'd have known earlier. I'm pretty sure my d-i-l was told she couldn't assist.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:Just a thought. Today on the radio there was a programme about how we view time.
Basically they said if you have an event you need to plan for and you're given two times. eg: 5 years or 1,833 days which timescale gave you the stronger feeling of urgency.

A large proportion of those tested chose, 1,833 days, when in fact 5 years is 1,833 days...

And that folks is how many days it is to the next election. [With 2 days added for leap years.]
That's really interesting. Hence the film title "Anne of the Thousand Days", I suppose. Sounds far more poignant (am I allowed to use that word here?) and fleeting than "Anne of Nearly Three Years".

I'd never thought about it before.

Edited to add

"and fleeting" which was really the point I was trying to make.
Last edited by PorFavor on Wed 13 May, 2015 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Doing Nothing Wrong Not Going To Leave You Alone.jpg
Doing Nothing Wrong Not Going To Leave You Alone.jpg (22.02 KiB) Viewed 6718 times
Matt Chorley ‏@MattChorley 28m28 minutes ago
You there. Minding your own business. Doing nothing wrong. We're not going to leave you alone http://dailym.ai/1IAy6RF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When even the Daily Mail is raising its eyebrows ... that's got to be taking liberties.
Working on the wild side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Just a thought. Today on the radio there was a programme about how we view time.

That's really interesting. Hence the film title "Anne of the Thousand Days", I suppose. Sounds far more poignant (am I allowed to use that word here?) and fleeting than "Anne of Nearly Three Years".

I'd never thought about it before.

Edited to add

"and fleeting" which was really the point I was trying to make.
It was something I'd never thought about before. They said it's a very good tool if you have a tendency to procrastinate.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Huw Irranca-Davies ‏@IrrancaDaviesMP 21m21 minutes ago
Huw Irranca-Davies retweeted B & R Labour
Many thanks. Loved time on frontbench, and will continue on frontline! Here's my statement http://www.huwirranca-davies.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... It has been a privilege to serve as a Minister and Shadow Minister alongside passionate and talented colleagues, and I do not rule out a return to the frontbench in future if the opportunity arises. But for now I intend to play a full and constructive role in the rebuilding of the Labour party in Wales and the UK from the backbenches, speaking up as always for my constituents, putting forward ideas which will reconnect people with politics, and working for Labour success in the elections for the National Assembly for Wales next year.

The General Election has been a shock to Labour, and to those who sought a more compassionate politics and government in Westminster. There will now be very tough times ahead for many of my constituents, and for many throughout Wales and the UK. I will continue to speak up for them, now and in the years ahead...
Good man. I think those are probably the right priorities - even though he's been such a good Efra shadow.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

General election turnout
Election Year 2015

UK_______66.1%
England___65.8%
Wales_____65.7%
Scotland___71.1%
N. Ireland__58.1%

http://www.ukpolitical.info/Turnout45.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Doing Nothing Wrong Not Going To Leave You Alone.jpg
Matt Chorley ‏@MattChorley 28m28 minutes ago
You there. Minding your own business. Doing nothing wrong. We're not going to leave you alone http://dailym.ai/1IAy6RF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When even the Daily Mail is raising its eyebrows ... that's got to be taking liberties.
My first thought on seeing Dave's words were what about the press, most notably the Sun and the Mail. They've been guilty of the most inflamatory stories

And of course people like Katie Hopkins and Mensch.

I have no doubt that even if hundreds of thousands of people complained about them, the government would turn a blind eye. It'll only be stories and people that defy the Conservatives who will get their collars felt.

Jon Swindon on Twitter having his account closed because of his posts about Cameron, is a prime example, but he's only one of many.
It'll be interesting to see how many more Twitter accounts have the same thing happen. It could be me next. I've never posted anything kind about them :shock:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Laura Kuenssberg ‏@bbclaurak · 7m7 minutes ago
@leicesterliz the first of the Labour leadership candidates to come on #newsnight since declaring, tonight 2230
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Bristol PplsAssembly ‏@bristolpa · 3h3 hours ago
Thousands protest in Bristol led by 6th form school students #endausteritynow

There is some hope :)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Richard Murphy ‏@RichardJMurphy 4 hrs4 hours ago

BBC just rang me thinking I was the Taxpayers' Alliance. What! Can't have me on air when they found out. No place for the voice of reason
Even though their cover is blown, they're still at it.
MsChin
Backbencher

Post by MsChin »

ohsocynical wrote:
MsChin wrote:

I wish I'd have known earlier. I'm pretty sure my d-i-l was told she couldn't assist.

I would strongly advise your family to make a formal complaint to the council concerned. The guidance issued to presiding officers & poll clerks is very clear indeed. The Electoral Commission website gives more info on how it has changed things to make sure disabled people are not disenfranchised. You could complain to them as well. People have been awarded compensation in the courts because they weren't able to get into their polling station etc. It's a fundamental breach of human rights and direct discrimination on grounds of disability.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Dan Crawford ‏@dancrawford85 25 mins25 minutes ago

Strong rebuttal from new Labour MP @Keir_Starmer of Gove's assault on the Human Rights Act: http://bit.ly/1K6g7Vm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

ohso : Jon Swindon on Twitter having his account closed because of his posts about Cameron, is a prime example, but he's only one of many.

I posted on this last night - it looks like a personal thing with another labour tweeter
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Liz Kendall ‏@leicesterliz · May 12
Withholding work if you're getting an unfair deal is basic freedom of British people. Labour must oppose latest Tory proposals.

Promising.....
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ohsocynical wrote:Dan Crawford ‏@dancrawford85 25 mins25 minutes ago

Strong rebuttal from new Labour MP @Keir_Starmer of Gove's assault on the Human Rights Act: http://bit.ly/1K6g7Vm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keir Starmer is another one I'd like to see stand.
MsChin
Backbencher

Post by MsChin »

MsChin wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
MsChin wrote: Had to drop in to say that your g.d could have been assisted to vote either by her parent or by the presiding officer at the polling station. There's a form to fill in to say a disabled person was assisted but if the PO assists, then parent / carer doesn't have to. Also, the PO can assist away from the booth, even in the car park if that's what the individual needs - disability discrimination law means things are much better. We even have Braille guides & magnifying glasses these days. I did 2 assisted votes last week so I know it works.

I would strongly advise your family to make a formal complaint to the council concerned. The guidance issued to presiding officers & poll clerks is very clear indeed. The Electoral Commission website gives more info on how it has changed things to make sure disabled people are not disenfranchised. You could complain to them as well. People have been awarded compensation in the courts because they weren't able to get into their polling station etc. It's a fundamental breach of human rights and direct discrimination on grounds of disability.
The Electoral Commission's own guidance for you:

Polling Station handbook - Appendix covers equality of access
http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/_ ... -UKPGE.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Disabled people's voting rights:
http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/_ ... eet-GB.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

And just another idle thought.

I wonder how many of those who voted Cons, or UKIP, have donated to a food bank?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Question for the Electoral Commission
What if the electorate's choice of democratically elected representatives aren't the same people currently assuming government in Westminster?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Chuka Umunna is the last thing Labour needs – a pro-austerity MP who calls people 'trash'

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 47245.html#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paper that told people to vote tory / LibDem now tells Labour how to pick its leader.
MsChin
Backbencher

Post by MsChin »

citizenJA wrote:Question for the Electoral Commission
What if the electorate's choice of democratically elected representatives aren't the same people currently assuming government in Westminster?
I suspect we'll have a long wait for an answer!
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

thatchersorphan wrote:ohso : Jon Swindon on Twitter having his account closed because of his posts about Cameron, is a prime example, but he's only one of many.

I posted on this last night - it looks like a personal thing with another labour tweeter
There was some unpleasantness between 'Gail' and another tweeter (I will not name her) with Jon leaping in on Gail's side. Problem is, having watched it unfold, I don't think Gail was in the right. Ah well.

AAW, we need another leadership entry started. ;-)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/yv ... ip-5693661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
thatchersorphan wrote:ohso : Jon Swindon on Twitter having his account closed because of his posts about Cameron, is a prime example, but he's only one of many.

There was some unpleasantness between 'Gail' and another tweeter (I will not name her) with Jon leaping in on Gail's side. Problem is, having watched it unfold, I don't think Gail was in the right. Ah well.

AAW, we need another leadership entry started. ;-)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/yv ... ip-5693661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Done :)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RR2, thank you for drawing my attention to Huw Irranca-Davies statement of intention I'm posting in its entirety below.

It demonstrates understanding of the profound consequences of the latest UK General Election & is evidence of his having read his job description. Huw Irranca-Davies' attentive obligation representing the people of this country is reassuring to me.
A Statement from Huw Irranca-Davies, Labour MP for Ogmore

"Having served the party and country for nearly a decade in a front-bench role, as a government whip and Minister in the Wales Office and Defra under two Labour Prime Ministers, and as a Shadow Minister for DECC and Defra in opposition, yesterday I took the decision to step down from a frontbench role.

The decision is entirely my own. It has been a privilege to serve as a Minister and Shadow Minister alongside passionate and talented colleagues, and I do not rule out a return to the frontbench in future if the opportunity arises. But for now I intend to play a full and constructive role in the rebuilding of the Labour party in Wales and the UK from the backbenches, speaking up as always for my constituents, putting forward ideas which will reconnect people with politics, and working for Labour success in the elections for the National Assembly for Wales next year.

The General Election has been a shock to Labour, and to those who sought a more compassionate politics and government in Westminster. There will now be very tough times ahead for many of my constituents, and for many throughout Wales and the UK. I will continue to speak up for them, now and in the years ahead.
"

Huw Irranca-Davies

http://www.huwirranca-davies.org.uk/a-s ... davies-mp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Night PF. Night all.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Goodnight, PorFavor
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Night PF. Night all.
Goodnight, TGS
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Danny Blanchflower ‏@D_Blanchflower 47m47 minutes ago Hanover, NH
To those out there who always tell me that France under Hollande is such a disaster just note it's currently growing twice as fast as the UK
Business Insider UK ‏@BI_Europe 14h14 hours ago
French GDP smashed expectations — and growth is now twice as fast as in Germany or the UK http://read.bi/1Ix8jLT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Apologies if we've already had this posted. I'm being a bit slow at present.
Mirror Politics ‏@MirrorPolitics 23h23 hours ago
Read the church minister's emotional open letter to David Cameron that's going viral http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ch ... id-5688354" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Reverend Walsh's Letter in full
Dear Prime Minister,

I don't know if you will ever read this, but I have some things I wish to say to you.

You have won the General Election and command a majority in the House of Commons, and as such will feel you have a legitimate mandate to govern. However, you must also know that you don't command a majority of the British people.

Although our political views are very much at odds on many issues, I'm willing to believe that you are a good man, as sure of your ideals as I am of mine, and believe your plan is what's best for us all. You said today that you will govern for the whole country and bring back together that which has clearly fractured. I hope you will.

But Prime Minister, though you can obviously see your party did not win the confidence of Scotland and huge swathes of the north of England, I'm not sure your party quite understands why. It's not because we're all 'loony-left' or extremists and nationalists, it's because so many of us are scared. Scared of what your policies will do to our communities and families. Scared of what will happen to our health service and our schools. Scared of losing our family homes for the sake of a few quid saving from the bedroom tax, or not being able to heat our home and have enough left to buy food.

I don't disagree with you that the best way out of poverty is to work, nor do I think that people should get something for nothing and expect the tax-payer to support people indefinitely if they are able to work. Who would think that that was ok and fair?

But your party's policies on these issues, couched in terms of reducing the deficit and balancing the books, don't seem to take into account the social and human cost of such actions. The country isn't a business, it's its people. All its people. And you are everyone's Prime Minister whether we voted for you or not.

You said today you will govern for everyone and unite the country. I hope you do. But to be able to do so you need to make it a priority in your first 100 days, to spend time in Scotland visiting people on zero hours contracts. Come to Manchester and talk with those who have been sanctioned for having a spare room, but have nowhere else to go. Go to Liverpool and meet people with disabled dependents who can't afford even one nanny, or to Newcastle and talk to people still living in poverty due to the demise of the coal industry. Spend a week or two living on the minimum wage, or volunteer in a food bank for a whole day.

Then Prime Minister you might begin to understand the cost of your policies from the other side, to see people as more than their net contribution to the economy, or as deliberate drains on the system. If you do that, then maybe you can heal some of the fractures in our society. Without this I just don't believe you can see just how crucial these issues are.

So please Prime Minister, leave Westminster for a few hours a week and truly strive to govern for all of us.

Rev'd Mike Walsh

The United Reformed Church
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Perhaps Rory Bremner has left me in an agreeable mood. Rarely can I voice agreement with Newsnight.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

Hi,seeingclearly. The more I think of it I wonder if it's to do with bedroom tax,they did ask how many bedrooms etc. One question that puzzles,it's a daft one but he wanted to know how many doors we had in the kitchen.
The only visits we have ever had was back in the sixties but nowt since then.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Danny Blanchflower ‏@D_Blanchflower 47m47 minutes ago Hanover, NH
To those out there who always tell me that France under Hollande is such a disaster just note it's currently growing twice as fast as the UK
Business Insider UK ‏@BI_Europe 14h14 hours ago
French GDP smashed expectations — and growth is now twice as fast as in Germany or the UK http://read.bi/1Ix8jLT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bound to be a big fuss in the MSM, I daresay Humphries is readying himself to rip into Gideon on Today in the morning....or possibly not Image
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

ohsocynical wrote:And just another idle thought.

I wonder how many of those who voted Cons, or UKIP, have donated to a food bank?
I understand the sentiment, ohso, but it shouldn't be directed at people. However angry, we can't reach out by denigrating them. Not a good look.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

It's going to be a l o n g campaign and I've not watched newsnight yet, but seeing tweets like this have knocked 3 stars off Liz Kendall already :(

Tom King ‏@tomilo · 13 mins13 minutes ago
Liz Kendall says Labour spent too much before the crash. Which doctors and nurses, schools and Surestarts would she not have had? #newsnight

Bernard McEldowney ‏@BernardMcEldown · 16 mins16 minutes ago  Catshill, England
@tomilo Liz is wrong. Deficit had reduced from 1997 to 2008 and Labour had to spend £billions on neglected public sector @BBCNewsnight

(TinyClanger - we need a spreadsheet for "gaffs & goods" along the campaign trail)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:It's going to be a l o n g campaign and I've not watched newsnight yet, but seeing tweets like this have knocked 3 stars off Liz Kendall already :(

Liz Kendall says Labour spent too much before the crash. Which doctors and nurses, schools and Surestarts would she not have had? #newsnight

Bernard McEldowney ‏@BernardMcEldown · 16 mins16 minutes ago  Catshill, England
@tomilo Liz is wrong. Deficit had reduced from 1997 to 2008 and Labour had to spend £billions on neglected public sector @BBCNewsnight

(TinyClanger - we need a spreadsheet for "gaffs & goods" along the campaign trail)
It's all deeply uninspiring so far ... Cooper, Kendall, Burnham, Umunna ... possibly Hunt. Only room for one more on the final list we get to choose from. I hope a few more unexpecteds come forward. Please.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

citizenJA wrote:Question for the Electoral Commission
We are where we are, гражданка. They've likely stayed within the letter, if not the spirit, of the law. We need to seize it back but I doubt crying foul will be enough, Not saying a close look isn't amiss, mind.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

utopiandreams wrote:Perhaps Rory Bremner has left me in an agreeable mood. Rarely can I voice agreement with Newsnight.
Newzoids (ITV) was rather entertaining, too. In fact, both Newzoids and Rory Bremner's programme succeeding in making me laugh rather than just raising a wry smile. I hope that the tv channels wo'n't put satire back on the shelf for another five years, now that the election is over and just as the satirists are getting into their stride.

Liz Kendall seemed cross when Evan Davies described her as 'being on the right of the party.' I didn't find her to be convincing or reassuring, though. Perhaps she'll grow on me but I don't know. And, I positively cringed when she said that the last Labour government had spent too much money in the run up to the crash but it was not Labour that caused the crash. I don't think that's a helpful position to take.

Today, I've seen a guest on one of the news channels point out that with unemployment rates at this low level (and falling) we will see wages rising but skills shortages increasing. Forecasts (from I can't remember who) reduce growth expectations for the next three years whilst inflation 'might not' slip from 0% into negative figures. And someone saying Carney's statement, today, comes too late to help Labour – which means that what he said supported Labour's stance on the economy and finance.

The timetable has been laid out for selecting Labour's candidates for London Assembly and Mayoral elections. To quote from the email from Alan Olive, Regional Director, London Labour Party:
London Mayoral selection

The process to select London Labour’s Mayoral Candidate starts today. Applications are open until noon on Wednesday 20 May. Members interested in applying should email the Procedure Secretary, Alan Olive alan_olive@labour.org.uk for an application form and further details.

London CLPs and affiliated organisations will be invited to nominate potential candidates from those applicants received prior to a postal ballot of LP members, Registered Supporters and Affiliated Members. CLP Secretaries will advise their members of when CLP nomination meetings are taking place

London Assembly selections

Application details are at: http://members.labour.org.uk/gla_candidates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Applications close at noon on Wednesday 20 May.

I will send details regarding husting meetings in due course.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

Post by onebuttonmonkey »

AngryAsWell wrote:It's going to be a l o n g campaign and I've not watched newsnight yet, but seeing tweets like this have knocked 3 stars off Liz Kendall already :(

It was a very bad interview. She said Labour spent too much, had to balance the books, said that the welfare cap was something she supported, didn't back union action and said the state had been too involved in public life. Then she said she didn't think she was on the right of the party - no, me neither - and that we needed to get back to our roots. I've no idea what roots she wants to get back to, but they're not Labour's roots.

To be fair to her, she didn't look entirely convinced by her own arguments - but that's hardly an excuse fitting for someone wanting to be leader. I don't know, anyway. On the basis of that interview, she had more in common with someone standing to the a Tory MP than anyone I've ever known in the Labour party, let alone the leader. Awful.

I know we have to listen to all voices in the party but I can't imagine paying much attention next time she speaks. We don't need the same narrative from a different rosette and this country's voters don't want or need another identikit party with the same bland, rightwing message.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

'A recipe for chaos': PM faces Tory rebellion over plans to scrap the Human Rights Act
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 48313.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While the huge furore goes on over this for the next 100 and more days - we'd better not take our eyes off the Tories for a second as they will be trying to shovel out all manner of other nasties much more quietly. This might be the one they know they're not going to win - they'll blame it on nasty Europe or nasty Scotland when it can't happen - but will allow them to get away with other stuff.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

David JackVerified account
‏@DJack_Journo
Farage is a snarling, thin-skinned, aggressive man who makes @UKIP look like a personality cult, says @oflynnmep
Ukip imploding in nastiness. This twitter feed has a photo of the Times front page which carries an article on O'Flynn's attack on Farage.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

LadyCentauria wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:Perhaps Rory Bremner has left me in an agreeable mood. Rarely can I voice agreement with Newsnight.
Newzoids (ITV) was rather entertaining, too. In fact, both Newzoids and Rory Bremner's programme succeeding in making me laugh rather than just raising a wry smile. I hope that the tv channels wo'n't put satire back on the shelf for another five years, now that the election is over and just as the satirists are getting into their stride.

Liz Kendall seemed cross when Evan Davies described her as 'being on the right of the party.' I didn't find her to be convincing or reassuring, though. Perhaps she'll grow on me but I don't know. And, I positively cringed when she said that the last Labour government had spent too much money in the run up to the crash but it was not Labour that caused the crash. I don't think that's a helpful position to take...
Maybe I'm tired having had 6 hours sleep in the last three days, although passionate she lacked the charisma to hold my attention. That may be shallow but true. She did speak of teams and that is where we should look. Not being Labour myself I don't know enough about the candidates.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
'A recipe for chaos': PM faces Tory rebellion over plans to scrap the Human Rights Act
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 48313.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While the huge furore goes on over this for the next 100 and more days - we'd better not take our eyes off the Tories for a second as they will be trying to shovel out all manner of other nasties much more quietly. This might be the one they know they're not going to win - they'll blame it on nasty Europe or nasty Scotland when it can't happen - but will allow them to get away with other stuff.
'Tis the season for squirrels, rebecca.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mural of Cam strangling a nurse.jpg
Mural of Cam strangling a nurse.jpg (63.95 KiB) Viewed 7548 times
Bonnie Greer @Bonn1eGreer · 5h 5 hours ago
"Man who commissioned mural of Cam strangling a nurse facing legal action"@mashable via @jimmyja29795206
#Toryland