Wednesday 13th May

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 13th May

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
David JackVerified account
‏@DJack_Journo
Farage is a snarling, thin-skinned, aggressive man who makes @UKIP look like a personality cult, says @oflynnmep
Ukip imploding in nastiness. This twitter feed has a photo of the Times front page which carries an article on O'Flynn's attack on Farage.
They're finished.

Carswell will go back to the Tories.
Whichever way the EU vote goes, they're left looking irrelevant - a yes vote and they've won the day...so there's no need for a protest party any longer - a no vote and there won't be another vote in our lifetime.

Another right wing party will spring up but UKIP will go back down to the level they were years before. Labour had better get their act together and pick up the disaffected working class votes.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
'A recipe for chaos': PM faces Tory rebellion over plans to scrap the Human Rights Act
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 48313.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While the huge furore goes on over this for the next 100 and more days - we'd better not take our eyes off the Tories for a second as they will be trying to shovel out all manner of other nasties much more quietly. This might be the one they know they're not going to win - they'll blame it on nasty Europe or nasty Scotland when it can't happen - but will allow them to get away with other stuff.
From that article, there are some some decent Tories...they tend to be the ones who are legally trained and know what they're on about.

I'm looking forward to Gove trying to pilot this through the Commons. Especially with Starmer and Sadiq Khan there.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Mural of Cam strangling a nurse.jpg
Bonnie Greer @Bonn1eGreer · 5h 5 hours ago
"Man who commissioned mural of Cam strangling a nurse facing legal action"@mashable via @jimmyja29795206
#Toryland
Don't you feel there's something vaguely uncomfortable about an overreaction to pictures of the leader, rebecca?
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight
love
cJA
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
'A recipe for chaos': PM faces Tory rebellion over plans to scrap the Human Rights Act
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 48313.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While the huge furore goes on over this for the next 100 and more days - we'd better not take our eyes off the Tories for a second as they will be trying to shovel out all manner of other nasties much more quietly. This might be the one they know they're not going to win - they'll blame it on nasty Europe or nasty Scotland when it can't happen - but will allow them to get away with other stuff.
From that article, there are some some decent Tories...they tend to be the ones who are legally trained and know what they're on about.

I'm looking forward to Gove trying to pilot this through the Commons. Especially with Starmer and Sadiq Khan there.
Yes - it's shaping up to be a very feisty battle - with all the expertise on the side of keeping the act. Gove and Raab are going to be like Morecambe and Wise telling Andre Previn and the accomplished musicians of the orchestra that they are playing the wrong notes ... but they won't be funny.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

utopiandreams wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Mural of Cam strangling a nurse.jpg
Bonnie Greer @Bonn1eGreer · 5h 5 hours ago
"Man who commissioned mural of Cam strangling a nurse facing legal action"@mashable via @jimmyja29795206
#Toryland
Don't you feel there's something vaguely uncomfortable about an overreaction to pictures of the leader, rebecca?
I certainly do.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

This seems apt right now ...
Paul Bernal @PaulbernalUK · 8h 8 hours ago
Talked to my Romanian wife about the gov's latest measures on 'extremism', Snooper's Charter, FOI etc. She laughed. Familiar. Ceaușescu.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Goodnight, goodnight. I'm bidding you goodnight.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Maybe I'm looking in slightly from the outside to the rest of you, but I have seen my old party wiped out in a single parliament at a time when they may have finally borne fruit; sadly not. It is possible that an entirely new coalition may rise from the ground up. There are too many ex-Labourites, ex-LibDems, disaffected Kippers, disenfranchised Tories or the religiously-minded and those of a Green disposition that may not fully align behind the baggage of partisan spats and argument.

All parties much reach out. Would still take strong personalities to lead a groundswell, some of whom may already be politicians.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Goodnight @cJA and @rr2
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I've just noticed my new position as whip and seem to be taking to it. No responsibilities, you see, just keeping my eye on you.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

utopiandreams wrote:I've just noticed my new position as whip and seem to be taking to it. No responsibilities, you see, just keeping my eye on you.
Careful you don't get stuck in the toilet.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

JustMom wrote:Hi,seeingclearly. The more I think of it I wonder if it's to do with bedroom tax,they did ask how many bedrooms etc. One question that puzzles,it's a daft one but he wanted to know how many doors we had in the kitchen.
The only visits we have ever had was back in the sixties but nowt since then.
Sounds as though they were doing some kind of property audit then. Doors to the kitchen could relate to building regs or property design? If you are really concerned still, I'd call BCC and check that it was a legitimate visit.

The government has all sorts of plans for council property, Birmingham is one of the largest providers in Europe. I think things could change fairly fast at some point, but they council should keep you informed. My instant thought was are they looking for right to buy stock.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2015/05 ... ish-values" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What is an extremist? Extremists will find themselves on the national extremism database. This database is shrouded in secrecy. We know it is managed by the Met police, and there is no judicial oversight over who is put on there. We know the security agencies are very secretive about who is on it and what is held about them.
What we do know is that it includes people who no rational person would consider an extremist. One Green councillor who organised a public meeting about the transportation of animals from Calais to Dover is understood to be on it. Jenny Jones, the green peer, is understood to be on it.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

https://stevetopple.wordpress.com/2015/ ... d-for-all/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Most of you may find this too harshly worded but it does raise some points from the left. These are also people labour will have to convince - hopefully by actually opposing this govt properly this time. Labour need to let Mcdonnell and Meachers input matter too, as they are more representative of the part of labour that are what many of the left feel do what labour should.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Accord opens door to new vote on #FastTrack #TPP http://www.wsj.com/articles/senate-lead ... 1431544128" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; #TTIP Well that didn't last long, its back on the table already.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

refitman wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:I've just noticed my new position as whip and seem to be taking to it. No responsibilities, you see, just keeping my eye on you.
Careful you don't get stuck in the toilet.
Funny you should say that, refitman. I was recently asked how long I spent on my yarns, to which I responded they just appear. Well yesterday's really was shit, you could call it a flash in the pan. It came to me as I sat on the can; no time was spent polishing it.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

thatchersorphan wrote:http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2015/05 ... ish-values
What is an extremist? Extremists will find themselves on the national extremism database. This database is shrouded in secrecy. We know it is managed by the Met police, and there is no judicial oversight over who is put on there. We know the security agencies are very secretive about who is on it and what is held about them.
What we do know is that it includes people who no rational person would consider an extremist. One Green councillor who organised a public meeting about the transportation of animals from Calais to Dover is understood to be on it. Jenny Jones, the green peer, is understood to be on it.
He who controls and uses knowledge wields the power, thatchersorphan.

Edit: forgot who I was speaking to.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

thatchersorphan wrote:https://stevetopple.wordpress.com/2015/ ... d-for-all/ Most of you may find this too harshly worded but it does raise some points from the left. These are also people labour will have to convince - hopefully by actually opposing this govt properly this time. Labour need to let Mcdonnell and Meachers input matter too, as they are more representative of the part of labour that are what many of the left feel do what labour should.
I got as far as thanking you for the link, thatchersorphan, but had to dash. I hadn't read it but was going to say that although unfamiliar with the authors it did look interesting after a few second scan. It appears to discuss what we've been talking about here. Didn't get to post as everything disappeared for the second time. Zzzz, it didn't come back (That's a repeated Ctrl + Z btw), Windows 8 and a sleeve on the touchpad for you!

On a completely separate note, I was following someone behind another at about 25mph. I must say he looked rather impatient. I looked to the future and messaging him not to worry, perhaps the the poor chap's coffee cup lid has come off and then thought of something else discussed here. Instant messaging and road rage. Perhaps there are inappropriate times to communicate with our fellow travellers after all. Just because something can be done, does not equate to should be.

Just saying or is that typing aloud? I'll shut up now.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Oh yeah, a recurring thought before I go. Unification of the left may be the big society that Cameron has been asking for. A man's hopes and dreams can't all be bad, can they? Ho hum. Now I really am struggling to be kind!
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Yet another idle thought. I visited this site yesterday during its down time and followed the link to phpBB. Think I've found something else to interest me for the moment. That'll please my lads... and they used to moan about my obsessing with computers.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Just so I can say, "Remember the time I made six posts on the trot?"

Edit: you did warn me of being stuck in the toilet, refitman.