Thursday 14th May 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 14th May 2015

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 1m1 minute ago
Independent front page: "Ukip is revolting."
Working on the wild side.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Night all
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Thoughts on Marmite politicians.

We have one leadership candidate being rejected for the crime of having a posh name, one for not being great on YouTube and one for being a soulless & patronising wonk; well, the last is fair enough, but have we really reached the point where we judge the book by its cover even before we've read the introduction?
I have said a few times we need to hear what they have to day not judge on past comments. But for me, for a Labour Prospective Leader to use the Mail to announce candidacy is just wrong. I will decide who to vote for after reading and hearing what they say but in my own personal little world, MC now has a lot of ground to make up. Ground she didn't need to have lost.
It could be she has a good reason for doing so. I'd expect that MP to be a busy person & perhaps the Mail was the only news organisation able to have someone meet with her at a time agreeable to all. Practical, maybe. I don't know.

It probably bothers me less because I don't care about choosing a Labour party leader now. It isn't as essential at the moment. Daily meetings with each other & the last thing any of them want, really, is to pick another leader. "Okay, who's the best person to be leader now? What do y'all think?" I'd thank god it wasn't me. Maybe the Labour MPs have done this & their thin little reports in the news are the result of collectively discussing amongst themselves & families the next Labour party Leader is going up against - what? What's happened in this election?

Those Tories aren't historically or currently responsible leaders for the UK & the people. Their actions & words are dishonourable & they must be held accountable for breaches of conduct. I'd expect the Opposition to collar the Tory horde & straighten them out.

Being boss & being bossy are two different things. Dave's never responded to me over that message I sent him.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Pat McFadden ‏@patmcfaddenmp 19m19 minutes ago
Reports that Tories abandoning Treaty change, if true, would be just the latest in the PM marching the troops back down the hill.
:?: Which treaty is he referring to?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Night AAW.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Does anybody know anyone without experience of life?
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Night all
Goodnight, AngryAsWell
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

utopiandreams wrote:Does anybody know anyone without experience of life?
Dave Cameron
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

James Chapman (Mail) retweeted
Peter Thompson ‏@TheRedRag 1m1 minute ago
No a single clap for Farage never mind applause. We are watching the longest suicide in political history #bbcqt. Bye #UKIP.
Not sure about that but it sounds pretty dire.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

pk1 wrote:Pensioners on a low income may be entitled to help with dental charges etc:

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/1136.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please don't shoot the messenger, I'm only relaying information some might find useful.
As far as I know you have to be on pension credits or be in receipt of at least one other benefit...Mr Ohso and I don't claim anything other than our State pension, so unfortunately we have to pay.

When I registered with the dentist I had to fill in a form where they ask if you claim any. I ticked no and had to pay for treatment.

Edited to add, thank you. :D
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Pat McFadden ‏@patmcfaddenmp 19m19 minutes ago
Reports that Tories abandoning Treaty change, if true, would be just the latest in the PM marching the troops back down the hill.
:?: Which treaty is he referring to?
What marching troops? Has there been a declaration of war? I think we have the right to know.

utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Just hearing Tristram on internationalism and Europe he touched on trade and business in the digital sector. Some hope with Britain's snooping laws something I've said since Snowden revelations. Apart from human rights what else have we learned since the election?
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

ohsocynical wrote:
pk1 wrote:Pensioners on a low income may be entitled to help with dental charges etc:

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/1136.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please don't shoot the messenger, I'm only relaying information some might find useful.
As far as I know you have to be on pension credits or be in receipt of at least one other benefit...Mr Ohso and I don't claim anything other than our State pension, so unfortunately we have to pay.

When I registered with the dentist I had to fill in a form where they ask if you claim any. I ticked no and had to pay for treatment.

Edited to add, thank you. :D
You ought to read the link for correct info. You may be eligible & receive help but you need to claim any help you may be entitled to on a specific form.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Another viewpoint on why Labour lost. I don't enjoy reading them, but it's best to bite the bullet!

https://stevetopple.wordpress.com/2015/ ... d-for-all/
The criticisms of Labour are all fair enough but the complete and utter faith in the integrity and goodness of the SNP and Greens is rather frightening. I'd hoped that the Libdem experience had cured people of this. Power corrupts and vested interests seek to corrupt all who hold it. We pick the best defence against the vested interests that we can, but anyone who thinks their perfect party won't be sullied by the realities and compromises of real responsibility is being unrealistic. Ed did a good job of wrestling the Labour party back from the Thatcherites, but I guess it was just too soon for many to accept that the ghost of Blair had been put to bed. I guess they'll never understand that their rejection of Ed, because they disliked Blair, will be the fundamental reason behind any Blair resurrection.
Agreed. It was scary reading. People, we're all being played. I can't blame people wanting to believe in a party telling them they'll protect them. Everyone wants hope. I do; I supported the Labour party because they were the best chance to get rid of Tories. Oh, well.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight
love
cJA
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Jeez...that little shit of a Tory plant really wound me up. Broke the economy my arse.

NB I know this is obvious but no-one has yet managed to define what "overspending" means - at what level? Subjective surely?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Jeez...that little shit of a Tory plant really wound me up. Broke the economy my arse.
I can see a broken economy under the Tories being blamed on Labour next. They're never going to give this up.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Snap, Willow.
Yes, and I will be one of them. Labour's slow* drift to the right is what lost mine and most of my peer's votes in 2010 and another turn in that direction will have similar results.

*for a given definition of slow
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Whilst I'm here I would just like to add that the options for the new Labour leader fill me with, I dunno, what's the word, um, well let's be polite and say pity.
I really miss John Smith.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Portillo on UKIP - "I've always wondered whether they actually wanted a referendum"

Correct - whichever way it goes they're finished.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Portillo on UKIP - "I've always wondered whether they actually wanted a referendum"

Correct - whichever way it goes they're finished.
I sincerely hope so but I fear not. Farage was adding proviso/provisi/provisos tonight on QT. 'Got to be free and fair, got to be a properly informed debate, got to have equal funding (rigorously enforced) for both sides of the debate, Europe can't come in and force us to have a second referendum if they don't like the result then throw loads of money at the side they want...' Now, most people would expect most of that in a referendum but he's laid the 'get out' clauses for his party if we don't give him the result he wants.

And, let's remember, 'losing' Indyref seems, so far, to have strengthened the SNP support in Scotland – at least as far as the Westminster election was concerned. We'll have to wait and see whether or not the same holds for next year's Holyrood election.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

Just "treated" myself to ten minutes of QT. The establishment used Farage to draw disaffected Labour voters to UKIP, and now that the useful idiot has delivered, he is to receive the "Full Crosby", led by his ex-BFF, Dimbleby, because "they" want us as Europe's sweatshop.

I can see the The Three Graces suddenly finding other things to be doing on a Thursday night when QT comes a'calling as well.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Excellent debate on 'The Circular Economy' in the Scottish Parliament, from 14th May (transcript):
http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/parli ... 50&i=91362

What is the Circular Economy? At it's simplest it means anything that is made/manufactured by humans should be as close to fully repairable, reusable, and recyclable/remanufacturable, as is humanly possible – and the energy input, at all stages of the cycle, should be as little as possible, from the most 'renewable' sources possible.

I found the contribution from Nigel Don (Angus North and Mearns, SNP) at 15.53 particularly interesting. He started with this:
This is a fascinating debate for those of us who have—as I have—been worrying about waste for a long time. In my first existence as a chemical engineer, the proper use of materials and in particular of energy was on my timetable at college, never mind in my working life.

We have rightly started with waste management, because that is the obvious place to start. From waste management, we get into material recycling, because that is obviously the thing to do. I am grateful to Angus MacDonald for pointing out for the first time in the debate that such materials should be regarded as resources. We should not regard anything as waste until we can think of nothing else to do with it.

We are really talking about limited resource use. Some things are not limited. We are not short of water or sunshine—although we cannot see the sun on days such as this—but almost everything else that looks solid is a limited resource, and we need to use such resources properly.

I welcome the Scottish Government’s zero waste task force and recognise that industry has to be nudged in the right direction. Although public bodies pick up the bits, industry manufactures the goods that need to be zero waste and circular from design.
(My bold)
See more at: http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/parli ... qHs7q.dpuf

This is a debate that needs to be had much more widely in all the nations of the UK as well as in the UK Parliament and throughout the world. And we should never have stopped having deposits on bottles! Oh! and does anyone know someone who can repair a non-freezing freezer?
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...