Friday 15th May 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 15th May 2015

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Graham Jones ‏@GrahamJones_MP 2h2 hours ago
So @thesnp won't vote on English hunting ban because it's banned in/by Scotland. What an unprincipled set of...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 54419.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Too depressing for words.
Working on the wild side.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

George Osborne calls emergency July budget to reveal next wave of austerity
Chancellor promises a ‘budget for working people’, which will also spell out how the Conservatives will cut £12bn from Britain’s welfare bill

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... es-deficit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oh jesus christ
I am frightened
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight
keep love alive
please
cJA
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

citizenJA wrote:
Chancellor promises a ‘budget for working people’, which will also spell out how the Conservatives will cut £12bn from Britain’s welfare bill

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... es-deficit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oh jesus christ
I am frightened
Interesting that it's as late as July given that in 2010 it was in June...and since they've been in government they must know exactly what the numbers are.

Maybe their plan has been blown off course by the latest BoE growth forecasts and they need more time for the OBR to crunch the numbers.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Goodnight @cJA – have sweet dreams and a restful sleep x

@RogerOThornhill: Yep, surprised me too that he's chosen July - although that's as close as possible to the end of term, so it'll get ploughed through Parliament and then he'll bugger off on holiday. Blown off course by not having to negotiate away any of their manifesto, too, on top of your points about the BoE and OBR. Mind you, he pushed the Autumn Statement back and back into winter, only a few short months ago.

Also, I hadn't looked at the BNP vote collapse as a whole, losing over half-a-billion votes – although I'll admit I didn't realise they'd had that many in the first place. I've only personal experience to go by but the (few) people around here who I know were BNP or EDL last time all seemed to turn, overnight, into UKIPpers – almost as soon as Farage started getting prominent on telly – so it wouldn't exactly amaze me if that half-a-billion voters did do a straight shift over to UKIP. Not so much a swing as a stampede.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Telegraph NewsVerified account
‏@TelegraphNews
Nigel Farage to sack Patrick O'Flynn in purge of Ukip coup plotters http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... tters.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Suzanne Evans ‏@SuzanneEvans1 1h1 hour ago
Suzanne Evans retweeted Telegraph News
So @Nigel_Farage ex-aide continues his poisonous briefings. He does NF no favours by making him look like a despot.
Evening all. Doesn't look like Ukip's internal fisticuffs is played out yet.
Think it'll run and run, RR2. I wonder if Farage really will push at Carswell and lose the only MP they have, although it seems to suit him to be outside Westminster whilst pissing in and inside Europe pissing in, too - NF, that is, not the Clacton One. Perhaps, if O'Flynn gets pushed out along with Carswell then the former could become part of the latter's Parliamentary team and they could start a new Euro-sceptic party - NUKIP? – if they have any common ground, other than (I assume) rather thinking that NF's lost it.

I could almost see Carswell putting his head in his hands when, asked about the Short Money on QT, Farage declared, "Well, we wo'n't take any of it then! :stroppy-teenager-sulky-face: We'll just fund-raise for it, instead!" Or words very much like them...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

LadyCentauria wrote:Goodnight @cJA – have sweet dreams and a restful sleep x

@RogerOThornhill: Yep, surprised me too that he's chosen July - although that's as close as possible to the end of term, so it'll get ploughed through Parliament and then he'll bugger off on holiday. Blown off course by not having to negotiate away any of their manifesto, too, on top of your points about the BoE and OBR. Mind you, he pushed the Autumn Statement back and back into winter, only a few short months ago.

Also, I hadn't looked at the BNP vote collapse as a whole, losing over half-a-billion votes – although I'll admit I didn't realise they'd had that many in the first place. I've only personal experience to go by but the (few) people around here who I know were BNP or EDL last time all seemed to turn, overnight, into UKIPpers – almost as soon as Farage started getting prominent on telly – so it wouldn't exactly amaze me if that half-a-billion voters did do a straight shift over to UKIP. Not so much a swing as a stampede.
Broadly speaking, where else would the BNP vote go? I think one of the questions Labour should be asking themselves is why did so many potential Labour voters go to UKIP? One of the things our candidate spoke about at the various hustings was Labour's lack of leadership on the immigration issue. I was deeply disappointed by the main Labour attitude on this. Including the stupid bloody mugs. And actually of all people, it was CU who I heard refuting the 'immigrants bad' argument more than any other prominent Labour person.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
thatchersorphan wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02r9gnb just been passed the link to patel on bbc a couple of days ago.
Rejoice all, we are heading for continual growth, everything is rosy, the economy is being 'cured' by the tories.
Idiotic divinity syndrome seems to be contagious.. she has IDS blind faith in her version of reality
It sounds like shes memorised the tory election leaflets, full of soundbites. Trying to decide if shes even worse than McVile.
That's the first time I've seen that - she is utterly dire.

Are these the same people who say "governments can't create jobs"? It'd be nice of someone asked her "OK, how exactly did you create those new jobs?"
I response to thatchersorphan, I'd simply say there's no accounting for taste. In response to Roger, by turning every public sector job into two private sector ones with lesser rights. Rights are simply not on the table.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

citizenJA wrote:

oh jesus christ
I am frightened
Me too, and not on a personal level, гражданка, for any rightists reading (if that's how you see yourselves these days). One thing I suppose we should all demand of Osborne, IDS and the DWP is that cuts in allowances have already created too many social and personal difficulties. Before any more should be adopted a full and proper risk analysis should be performed and fully placed before the House.

Surely as citizens we can at least demand that, or do we no longer have the most transparent government ever now that Tories have a majority? Legislators should not be expected to perform their duties without a published risk register, as exemplified by the Health and Social Care Act. Even when published as was the DWP Under-occupancy Risk Register, had it findings been discussed in the House then its failings may have been exposed. Outcomes are more important than perceived notions of fairness, especially when increased overall cost and hardship are two.

I ask for no more legislation by propaganda but evidence and researched analysis. Governance has slipped to a new low; we should all demand better.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: An entire set of arguments that are, I am afraid, so mind numbingly bad as to be embarrassing. Unless of course you are simply trolling the argument for fun, in which case Bravo.

I would stick to political punditry if I were you. The idea you hold that it is wrong to limit the power of the state by the HRA is nuts. For the record Hitler was at one point an elected politician.

Did you read it?

I say exactly the opposite in the very first sentence.

I was setting out what bad arguments are, but if you read to the end I set out a good one.
To be fair, I struggled to actually get a clear grip on exactly what you are saying, possibly too many negatives to get my head round it. So this may be an interpretation issue on my part.

For clarity, Are you saying that the HRA is a good thing because it limits the power of the state to legislate for "the greater good" or are you arguing that it is a bad thing because it does so?
I am saying there are 4 standard if bad arguments for it, and one good one. That is that there is an international agreement for minimum standard of government within Europe, that compliance with that agreement requires the HRA, and that our keeping to our agreement encourages other signatory states to do so.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Oh yeah I nearly forgot. Γражданка reminded me of my Russian yesterday and indirectly my Latin of a few days earlier. I was being serious when I asked for help or advice. I know no Latin but felt it necessary for Boris' characterisation.

Anyway since my eldest told me you must all be looking forward to the election to be rid of my nonsense, I've emailed him my (finalised) tales and entitled them for the Subject matter; you generally get them as soon as they come. I called Boris' outburst 'Gallows Humour'.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

On a completely separate note, I shall bore you with a proud father and grandfather story. We no longer have to ask for telly to be turned off, little one rather likes the other stuff. Anyway the 2½ year old little darling was directing her peers at a jumping off a wall at nursery the other day. They'd been going, "One, two, three. Jump". Not good enough she insisted on their counting to twelve before jumping.

One of the attendants being suitably impressed mentioned it to my son when he picked her up, "How far can she count?"
"What comes after 12?" she was asked and proceeded counting up to twenty (our usual for Hide and Seek). Pretty good at memory game too although she hasn't fully grasped the idea of winning. She keeps helping her poor old Grandad out and guiding my selections, insisting they are mine. She still beats me nevertheless. Well mostly, can't let her become a bad loser now, can we?

Apologies chaps, that was probably one for the ladies. I'll shut up now unless a yarn arrives whilst doing other stuff. Cheers.

Edit: replaced a repeated helping with guiding.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Sat 16 May, 2015 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Oh, alright then, just one more..

I've been asked whether I was the same with my lads when they were younger and said I was some of the time, explaining that receiving my undivided attention was much less as a parent than grandparent relative to the amount of time spent around them.

Oh yeah, believe it or not I had a senior moment and forgot what it was I was going to say. When I was younger I'd often catch myself looking at young girls somewhat wistfully, only to be brought crashing to ground by disapproving looks from parents. Feeling embarrassed I would desist but refrained from offering an explanation. What have I said of digging oneself out of holes? The reality was I looked on in admiration even joy for the parents with perhaps a hint of jealousy, my own daughter having Downs Syndrome.