Friday 15th May 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 15th May 2015

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Re: Friday 15th May 2015

Post by utopiandreams »

An extract of the most hotly awaited book of the year, 'Call me Dave' has been released...

A young David was approached by two men at the beach.

"Привет Красавчик."
"English. Do you speak English?"
"Ah England. Very friendly England?"
"Yes it is."
"Men and men? Women and women? Very friendly, yes?"
"Yes."

David spoke of much laughter and slapping of backs as he told his Oxford don.

“Their English was very good. They took me out to lunch and dinner, 'Бутылка водки и три стакана, пожалуйста' as they befriended me and asked about life in England and what I thought about England.”
"It's funny how you remember some things, David. They definitely wanted you to join them."
"Oh I see, they wanted me as a go-between."

Edit: changed 'go with them' to 'join them'.
Final Edit: changed 'the plot thickens' to 'they wanted me as a go-between'.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Fri 15 May, 2015 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

http://www.powerhouseclub.co.uk/

"Northern Powerhouse". That phrase has been niggling at me for a while and the penny has dropped. The Powerhouse is the biggest Gay club in Newcastle, in the Heart of the Pink Triangle. Gideon, as depicted by Steve Bell, would not seem out of place.

Oh, and morning, folks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The Guardian view on flawed election forecasts: polls apart
Editorial
The campaign had more data than any before it, and yet the predictions were some of the worst. Serious flaws in the polls were exposed; fixing these is a democratic priority

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Morning.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
The Guardian view on flawed election forecasts: polls apart
Editorial
The campaign had more data than any before it, and yet the predictions were some of the worst. Serious flaws in the polls were exposed; fixing these is a democratic priority

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Morning.
Election campaigns are supposed to interrogate alternative futures, but the interrogation necessarily concentrates on those futures that look more likely. That means that there is a feedback loop between expectations of the election result and the election agenda. Green proposals for a swingeing wealth tax or Lib Dem ideas about decriminalising drugs were, for example, never going to dominate the airwaves, because nobody ever expected either party to be able to steamroller its whole programme through. But neither, more poignantly, did many expect the majority Conservative government which has now come to pass.

Had the forecasts been different, then the nightly news bulletins would surely have concentrated rather more on the vast spending cuts to come, and rather less on the potential role of Scottish nationalists in a hung parliament. That might have influenced the result.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

and
How TV news let the Tories fight the election on their own terms
Possibility of coalitions, close contest of poll, handling of economy and levels of taxation made up 43% of all election news coverage, research finds

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/m ... y-taxation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

You know, I remember, during my Social History lessons, some mention of a Northern Powerhouse. There were mines and factories and furnaces where things were made that were sold world-wide. And Britain prospered.
I think it came to an end somewhere in the late 1980s. Some woman didn't like all the northern people living in supportive communities, being organised and generally happy.

Good morning. :D
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers 23m23 minutes ago
"Senior SNP source" also revealed party would have stood candidates in northern England if nominations not closed by time of #sturgeonmania
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

rebeccariots2 wrote:and
Possibility of coalitions, close contest of poll, handling of economy and levels of taxation made up 43% of all election news coverage, research finds

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/m ... y-taxation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And the other 57% was about UKIP?
Why is the media obsessed with UKIP, still? :wall:
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Eurosceptic David Davis could oppose government on human rights reform
Tory MP’s comments show growing backbench rebellion over plan that could lead to withdrawal from European court of human rights

Lets hope enough of them see common sense and decency over this dangerously undemocratic proposal, to put a stop to it.

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2015/may ... hts-reform" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Moreveaft all...

Any reporting or studies to show how little the Coalition of Clowns were required to defend the indefensible - their record over the last 5 years? No? Blimey....I'm shocked, shocked, I tell you :wall:

...and apologies to those who see my signature as 'imitating' the Scottish Yellow Tories, but post-IndyRef, the '45%' thing became very powerful....and they seem to have got what they thought they wanted (although, we'll see how the meeting goes between Nicola and Dave today - anyone running a book on a 'common ground/someone I can work with'-style volte face?) - the fact remains that less (fewer?) than 25% of those eligible to vote did so for the current administration - it is not a 'majority' government other than in the perverse MSM Westminster bubble sense....and therefore should be resisted at every possible point....not sure if this petition has been linked already (91,000 and counting)...

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/uk_electora ... bb&v=58125

...some publications agree...

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/p ... post-lost/
http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/ele ... -1-7251337
http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicd ... calculator

...and for what it's worth (I know - not much :lol: ), were I King of the World (like Boris the Buffoon...or is that next month, after Chicken Dave (TCBBAC) and Gidiot have run out of longtermeconomicplanshirkersandscroungershumansdontneedrights mantras?) voting would be compulsory (combined with an education system that enables the general populous to be better informed)...but I won't be King of the World because I believe(TM) in honesty, decency and compassion - so am therefore a laughing stock of Murkydochia...I am 1 of the 76% against them, though ;)

#sturgeonmania? Are the SNP anti-austerity or not? We should be told.
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

gilsey wrote:

...because Mr Farage is the shiniest shiny squirrel of them all?
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

gilsey wrote:

Because it wastes votes & shifts things in Tories favour:
http://nottspolitics.org/2015/04/30/cou ... -election/
edited,to make link work.
Last edited by tinybgoat on Fri 15 May, 2015 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

@rebeccariots

Thanks for the link to the opinion polling article. I'd just finished reading this one,
Why did the election pollsters get it so wrong? (Guardian)
written by Robert Booth.

I know his sister - Poll Booth. Boo- boom!

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... t-so-wrong
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Morning all.
rebeccariots2 wrote:
James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers 23m23 minutes ago
"Senior SNP source" also revealed party would have stood candidates in northern England if nominations not closed by time of #sturgeonmania
:smack:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Remember my complaint to the BBC about the over-coverage of the businessmen's letter and the under-coverage of the NHS letter? I still haven't received a reply but that Guardian article on the way issues were managed makes exactly the point I was making:
When 103 business leaders wrote in support of the Conservative party, it was the lead story on three bulletins on 1 April. That evening it occupied 38% of election news airtime.

Although less prominently covered, when 5,000 small business leaders similarly wrote in support of the Conservative party it shaped election coverage on 27 April.

While the letter was received with scepticism by some broadcasters, it was reported on most of the bulletins – and reinforced the Tory’s campaign tune on a day when the party conveniently launched its small business manifesto.

However, when more than 140 health professionals wrote a letter to the Guardian attacking the government’s record on the NHS, or when a poll of leading economists questioned the government’s austerity measures was reported in the Independent, neither carried the same editorial influence across TV as the views of business leaders in the rightwing press.
Lefty BBC strikes again :fire:
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all. Did we all note this from yesterday?

CQC chair David Prior to step down after being appointed health minister

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/politi ... VW6I466emU
Care Quality Commission (CQC) chair David Prior has been appointed Under Secretary of State for health, the latest Department of Health appointment to David Cameron’s all-Conservative Government.

Mr Prior, a former deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, will take up his new role immediately and step down from his role as the chair of the CQC.
Funny how it's only Labour who are supposed to politicize quangos...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Need Nicola Sturgeon look quite so pleased to see David Cameron (ref photographs on the Guardian Election Blog)? I realise that it's customary for politicians not to spit in one another's faces on occasions such as these - but I have seen pictures of politicians meeting with considerably less unalloyed joy written across their faces.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Swarthlander wrote:You know, I remember, during my Social History lessons, some mention of a Northern Powerhouse. There were mines and factories and furnaces where things were made that were sold world-wide. And Britain prospered.
I think it came to an end somewhere in the late 1980s. Some woman didn't like all the northern people living in supportive communities, being organised and generally happy.

We had some of those here in Wales too.

Good morning, O Swarthy One and all.

On polls - I think there should be no polls at all in the last 2 weeks before the people go to vote.

I feel that whether they are right or wrong in their estimates, they do have some influence. Far too much nonsense was going about the polls and far too little on policies and so on - had the hacks not been busy pontificating about crossovers and whatnot, one of them might have put one of the Tories on the spot about benefit cuts, NHS privatisation, what is really being planned for Scotland, etc.

I can't be the only person who had terminal poll fatigue by th end of it. And they were nearly all effing wrong. :wall: :wall:

On another thing -

This work we're doing with plans for the Bronllys Hospital estate - has anyone here got any experience of Community Interest Companies? If so, I'd be grateful for any advice or links to same.
We are thinking of setting up a CIC, but are a bit concerned about - a) how to do it properly; b) how to ensure any funds we raise are safe; c) what the best CIC structure should be; and d) whether it is better to register as a charity rather than a CIC.

The idea is to buy or lease the estate and build a well-being park - some of the existing buildings could be used for elderly care, physio, and convalescence as they are now; we want to raise money to build affordable homes for purchase by leasehold and for rent; we plan to have various green things like a small solar park, beekeeping, permaculture, depending on planning from the National Parks (the site is in the Brecon Beacons NP); possibly hostels or supervised places for people recovering from acute mental illness/addictions; a communal facility where rooms could be rented out to people who practice alternative medicine or for therapies; and a Maggie centre for people with cancer.

We've got quite a few people involved now, including a few experts on architecture and the green stuff; we are all volunteers at the moment but that might have to change in time if the project gets the support of the Welsh government. We're already in talks with the AMs dealing with health, but obviously we're a long way from actually doing anything yet.

We think we need a formal CIC or charity to compete with the developers who will be after this very beautiful place - bits of it have been sold off already. We want to keep the estate for the community, with people living there plus keeping a health and well-being element to use the site for its' original intended purpose. We have a good moral case here - but we know we have to be as hard-nosed as the people we'll be competing with, so all/any advice gratefully received.

We're on Facebook - Bronllys Park - Wellbeing Centre
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Isn't it great that the Guardian is now revealing just how biased the media was? Except, at the time, it was just as deeply involved in the tory narrative as anyone else...witness Wintour's 'tories hit the gold spot' article about the SNP hysteria.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

CU pulled out!

Where are my manners, Morning all.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

StephenDolan wrote:CU pulled out!

Great news. I wonder why? I would hope that it was because something of his "turn-off factor" had filtered through to him and the Labour Party. Room for one more, then . . . .
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

PorFavor wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:CU pulled out!

Great news. I wonder why? I would hope that it was because something of his "turn-off factor" had filtered through to him and the Labour Party. Room for one more, then . . . .
Becouse he's got no support in the wider party and everybody apart from Tony Blair hates him?

There's been all sorts of mutterings in the comments about him having some kind of trust fund set up by his parents. I wonder if some kind of tax dodging scandal is about to come out.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

There have been rumours circulating amongst gossip mongers for some time that Chuka has what is euphemistically called "baggage".

Ah well, no doubt Hunt will become Mandy's new ventriloquist's dummy now ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've just read Chuka Umunna's statement over at the Guardian Politics Blog. It's actually the most human-being speak I've heard him utter to date. I'm almost impressed.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

PorFavor wrote:I've just read Chuka Umunna's statement over at the Guardian Politics Blog. It's actually the most human-being speak I've heard him utter to date. I'm almost impressed.
It isn't good he has pulled out, because he was a serious candidate and he should have had chance to shine. It may even indicate that the Blairite wing have written off 2020 already.

I still think I wouldn't have voted for him because he is the wrong demographic (London and wealthy).

However, Labour face a huge challenge, it needs a special candidate to address it and I am not seeing them.
Release the Guardvarks.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
PorFavor wrote:I've just read Chuka Umunna's statement over at the Guardian Politics Blog. It's actually the most human-being speak I've heard him utter to date. I'm almost impressed.
It isn't good he has pulled out, because he was a serious candidate and he should have had chance to shine. It may even indicate that the Blairite wing have written off 2020 already.

I still think I wouldn't have voted for him because he is the wrong demographic (London and wealthy).

However, Labour face a huge challenge, it needs a special candidate to address it and I am not seeing them.

I'm not at all sure that I follow your reasoning. Surely some hint of his qualities should have flickered by now. He's certainly kept his light well hidden under a bushel thus far.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

John Simpson ‎@thejohnsimpson

Labour source (yes I have one) says Chuka Umunna withdrew from leadership bid because of an article in a Sunday paper, & it's "bad".

11:00 AM - 15 May 2015
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

It's very well worded, and he does come across as a bit more human that usual, but I'm still calling bullshit on it.

The idea that anyone, having witnessed up close the way Ed Miliband had his whole life torn to pieces, day after day, for four fucking years, didn't realise the "pressure" that comes with running for the leadership is just preposterous.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ephemerid wrote:
Swarthlander wrote:You know, I remember, during my Social History lessons, some mention of a Northern Powerhouse. There were mines and factories and furnaces where things were made that were sold world-wide. And Britain prospered.

We had some of those here in Wales too.

Good morning, O Swarthy One and all.

On polls - I think there should be no polls at all in the last 2 weeks before the people go to vote.

I feel that whether they are right or wrong in their estimates, they do have some influence. Far too much nonsense was going about the polls and far too little on policies and so on - had the hacks not been busy pontificating about crossovers and whatnot, one of them might have put one of the Tories on the spot about benefit cuts, NHS privatisation, what is really being planned for Scotland, etc.

I can't be the only person who had terminal poll fatigue by th end of it. And they were nearly all effing wrong. :wall: :wall:

On another thing -

This work we're doing with plans for the Bronllys Hospital estate - has anyone here got any experience of Community Interest Companies? If so, I'd be grateful for any advice or links to same.
We are thinking of setting up a CIC, but are a bit concerned about - a) how to do it properly; b) how to ensure any funds we raise are safe; c) what the best CIC structure should be; and d) whether it is better to register as a charity rather than a CIC.

The idea is to buy or lease the estate and build a well-being park - some of the existing buildings could be used for elderly care, physio, and convalescence as they are now; we want to raise money to build affordable homes for purchase by leasehold and for rent; we plan to have various green things like a small solar park, beekeeping, permaculture, depending on planning from the National Parks (the site is in the Brecon Beacons NP); possibly hostels or supervised places for people recovering from acute mental illness/addictions; a communal facility where rooms could be rented out to people who practice alternative medicine or for therapies; and a Maggie centre for people with cancer.

We've got quite a few people involved now, including a few experts on architecture and the green stuff; we are all volunteers at the moment but that might have to change in time if the project gets the support of the Welsh government. We're already in talks with the AMs dealing with health, but obviously we're a long way from actually doing anything yet.

We think we need a formal CIC or charity to compete with the developers who will be after this very beautiful place - bits of it have been sold off already. We want to keep the estate for the community, with people living there plus keeping a health and well-being element to use the site for its' original intended purpose. We have a good moral case here - but we know we have to be as hard-nosed as the people we'll be competing with, so all/any advice gratefully received.

We're on Facebook - Bronllys Park - Wellbeing Centre
This sounds a fantastic project ephe, wish I were close enough to help.
As to the best way to set it up, I'm no help at all, I don't have a clue how you set about something like this. Sorry and best of luck with it :)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Going to full fat Blairism at this point points, if nothing else, to poor judgement (which could be a recurring thing if these rumours have any truth in them)

No, there doesn't seem to be any outstanding candidate right now - which probably means Burnham as the "least bad" option but hoping (and this *is* important) that he can assemble a more inspiring team around him than Ed did. Given the overall quality of Labour's 2010 intake, that should be far from impossible.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Tish wrote:
It's very well worded, and he does come across as a bit more human that usual, but I'm still calling bullshit on it.

The idea that anyone, having witnessed up close the way Ed Miliband had his whole life torn to pieces, day after day, for four fucking years, didn't realise the "pressure" that comes with running for the leadership is just preposterous.
This, this and this.

As for him being the candidate the Tories feared I don't buy that either. A CU Labour would bleed support to UKIP IMHO.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Deleted as its gross speculation and I should not have fallen for it - sorry all
Last edited by AngryAsWell on Fri 15 May, 2015 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

http://www.pieria.co.uk/articles/on_the ... five_years" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Austerity predictions.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Deleted as its gross speculation and I should not have fallen for it - sorry all
Last edited by AngryAsWell on Fri 15 May, 2015 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tish wrote:

Yes - agreed. It asks us to accept a degree of naivety which simply isn't credible.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Going to full fat Blairism at this point points, if nothing else, to poor judgement (which could be a recurring thing if these rumours have any truth in them)

No, there doesn't seem to be any outstanding candidate right now - which probably means Burnham as the "least bad" option but hoping (and this *is* important) that he can assemble a more inspiring team around him than Ed did. Given the overall quality of Labour's 2010 intake, that should be far from impossible.
Interestingly Burnham seems to have attracted the support of Harry Leslie Smith, a man who is no fool and whose judgement I respect; he is cheerleading for a Burnham/Watson combo and, while I think Watson did a lot of damage to Ed, it may have some merit - you could easily see Watson taking on the Prescott 'enforcer' role, something that was mentioned here earlier this week.

As for Tristram, I think he sunk his chances on QT last night.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: It isn't good he has pulled out, because he was a serious candidate and he should have had chance to shine. It may even indicate that the Blairite wing have written off 2020 already.

Interestingly Burnham seems to have attracted the support of Harry Leslie Smith, a man who is no fool and whose judgement I respect; he is cheerleading for a Burnham/Watson combo and, while I think Watson did a lot of damage to Ed, it may have some merit - you could easily see Watson taking on the Prescott 'enforcer' role, something that was mentioned here earlier this week.

I missed QT, can you give a brief summary of what he said to make you think that?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

"Full fat Blairism" - very good! At best, it looks as though we'll probably end up having to settle for semi-skimmed.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Until now Dan Jarvis has made clear he will not reconsider his decision not to stand. Has that, just maybe, changed now?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Until now Dan Jarvis has made clear he will not reconsider his decision not to stand. Has that, just maybe, changed now?
Who knows? But as I said earlier - there's now room for one more.
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

Tom Newton Dunn, the Old Etonian who is rarely right about anything is tweeting that Umana and Jarvis withdrawing has them fist pumping at 10.Says they can't believe their luck.

First how wrong could they be about Umanas appeal to the "average voter" Second I cannot imagine two more diverse characters than him and Jarvis.

Lets hope in their inherent arrogance they continue thinking in this way.

Given the current perceived dearth of quality candidates (although I have not given up hope at least one shines through during the campaign) we need all the help we can get.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sad that B B King has gone. Saw / heard him live - amazing.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ScarletGas wrote:Tom Newton Dunn, the Old Etonian who is rarely right about anything is tweeting that Umana and Jarvis withdrawing has them fist pumping at 10.Says they can't believe their luck.

First how wrong could they be about Umanas appeal to the "average voter" Second I cannot imagine two more diverse characters than him and Jarvis.

Lets hope in their inherent arrogance they continue thinking in this way.

Given the current perceived dearth of quality candidates (although I have not given up hope at least one shines through during the campaign) we need all the help we can get.

'fist pumping at 10'

What a repulsive image that is.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

StephenDolan wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: Going to full fat Blairism at this point points, if nothing else, to poor judgement (which could be a recurring thing if these rumours have any truth in them)

I missed QT, can you give a brief summary of what he said to make you think that?
He wasn't absolutely awful (despite some of the comments on Twitter); made a valiant attempt at shooting down the "Labour caused the financial crisis" meme, but then undermined that somewhat by near enough agreeing that Labour might have overspent. Not his finest hour.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Until now Dan Jarvis has made clear he will not reconsider his decision not to stand. Has that, just maybe, changed now?
AS blog....
"My colleague Matthew Weaver has this story on Labour activists already calling for Keir Starmer to run for leader in the wake of Chuka Umunna’s decision to step down."

I know what you said yesterday, but after 5 years in opposition that will be forgotten, I would prefer Dan though as not at all sure on Starmer's overall views.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Interestingly Burnham seems to have attracted the support of Harry Leslie Smith, a man who is no fool and whose judgement I respect; he is cheerleading for a Burnham/Watson combo and, while I think Watson did a lot of damage to Ed, it may have some merit - you could easily see Watson taking on the Prescott 'enforcer' role, something that was mentioned here earlier this week.

He wasn't absolutely awful (despite some of the comments on Twitter); made a valiant attempt at shooting down the "Labour caused the financial crisis" meme, but then undermined that somewhat by near enough agreeing that Labour might have overspent. Not his finest hour.
To be honest given the BBC tory stooge being allowed to keep going back at him I thought he did well, on the overspending he also put across the hospital & schools rebuilding that had to be done. The audience was very hostile and looked to me like another hand picked tory bunch.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Sad that B B King has gone. Saw / heard him live - amazing.
There've been an awful lot of deaths of music folk very recently. Paul Gambaccini has been working overtime on the BBC. Which leads me to wonder how Joni Mitchell is doing - haven't heard anything, recently.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I saw the few minutes in question, of T Hunt on QT. Between the audience, the others on the panel & Dimbleby smirking, he did well not to walk out. I had to turn it off.

He didn't make it any better at all by saying Labour overspent, in fact it confirmed my view that they can't win on this. Might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb and go full on support for the last Labour govt, apart from banking regulation.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Ben Bradshaw, on the BBC, in full mourning for Chuka Umunna's withdrawal. Phew! What a lucky escape we've had.