Friday 15th May 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 15th May 2015

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Also Paxo rubbish like this.
But an obsession with leaving a 21st century “legacy” by embracing 19th century technology will not be balked.
High speed rail isn't "19th century technology". Whatever that sentence means anyway.

It's that you can hear him doing that sneer all the way through, and he's not done any work. If he interviewed himself, he'd be cut to shreds for this lazy nonsense.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Also Paxo rubbish like this.
But an obsession with leaving a 21st century “legacy” by embracing 19th century technology will not be balked.
High speed rail isn't "19th century technology". Whatever that sentence means anyway.

It's that you can hear him doing that sneer all the way through, and he's not done any work. If he interviewed himself, he'd be cut to shreds for this lazy nonsense.

Yes - that is a very odd thing to say.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:Robert MacDonald ‏@RFMacDonald 9 mins9 minutes ago

'Andy Burnham has deep roots in the N of the country, in the WC but (BUT!) at the same time he's deeply intelligent'
I heard that and gasped ... and he is meant to be bigging up Burnham!

And if that wasn't wounding enough we then had scads of Bill Grimsey (?) - Labour supporting business person - tearing Labour, Ed Miliband and Chuka Umunna to shreds. Apparently every business person he spoke to when doing some work for Labour asked him why on earth he was doing it because 'they're absolutely unelectable'.
Working on the wild side.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

If Ben Bradshaw made his announced announcement I missed it.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

StephenDolan wrote:I'm slightly confused. Registered supporters. Is that anyone who has in the past donated to the Labour Party?
I think it refers to people who actually registered (probably online - a box-click thing, as I recall) as a supporter. Sorry for the delayed response!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

StephenDolan wrote:I'm slightly confused. Registered supporters. Is that anyone who has in the past donated to the Labour Party?
I think it refers to people who actually registered (probably online - a box-click thing, as I recall) as a supporter. Sorry for the delayed response!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

AngryAsWell wrote:
gilsey wrote:I saw the few minutes in question, of T Hunt on QT. Between the audience, the others on the panel & Dimbleby smirking, he did well not to walk out. I had to turn it off.

He didn't make it any better at all by saying Labour overspent, in fact it confirmed my view that they can't win on this. Might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb and go full on support for the last Labour govt, apart from banking regulation.
It was a bit of a trap though as he said Yes! you could say Labour overspent if .... and he never got passed the IF because the audience started howling and Dimbleby when straight in on the attack. By the time it quietened down enough for him to speak again the whole point of what he was saying had gone and Dimbleby swiftly move on. He had already taken a lot of barracking before he got to the IF bit as well.
Absolutely agree with you, @AAW. He'd already laid out the repairs and rebuilding of schools (so many of which were in a dire state after 18 years of Tory Rule), same for hospitals, and something else (housing?); and he'd compared the levels of debt and deficit at the end of that 18 years under the Tories with what they were before the crash. All of that is positive, none of it is anything for the Labour Party to be ashamed of. Other things were not done right, to my mind, but we should hear what Hunty has to say about those things (which he wasn't involved in as he's not a 'career politician') and what he'd want to do in the future. The question should be what would 'Huntyism' be? Cooperism? Burnhamism? et cetera, et cetera.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Michael Crick @MichaelLCrick · 3h 3 hours ago
Keir Starmer for Labour leader may sound outlandish. He's 20-1, but Crick's law of leader elections is the freshest contenders usually wins
Ken Livingstone ‏@ken4london 31m31 minutes ago
Not backing any candidate at present but #keirforleader movement shows we need a broad field & MPs must offer members a wider choice
Read something earlier - sorry can't remember where - where someone was saying Starmer's lack of HoC experience shouldn't count against him ... it was outweighed by other skills, qualities and experience.

Doubt he'll stand though. This seems to be the reluctant leaders contest (well apart from those who are keen of course).
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

LadyCentauria wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
gilsey wrote:I saw the few minutes in question, of T Hunt on QT. Between the audience, the others on the panel & Dimbleby smirking, he did well not to walk out. I had to turn it off.

He didn't make it any better at all by saying Labour overspent, in fact it confirmed my view that they can't win on this. Might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb and go full on support for the last Labour govt, apart from banking regulation.
It was a bit of a trap though as he said Yes! you could say Labour overspent if .... and he never got passed the IF because the audience started howling and Dimbleby when straight in on the attack. By the time it quietened down enough for him to speak again the whole point of what he was saying had gone and Dimbleby swiftly move on. He had already taken a lot of barracking before he got to the IF bit as well.
Absolutely agree with you, @AAW. He'd already laid out the repairs and rebuilding of schools (so many of which were in a dire state after 18 years of Tory Rule), same for hospitals, and something else (housing?); and he'd compared the levels of debt and deficit at the end of that 18 years under the Tories with what they were before the crash. All of that is positive, none of it is anything for the Labour Party to be ashamed of. Other things were not done right, to my mind, but we should hear what Hunty has to say about those things (which he wasn't involved in as he's not a 'career politician') and what he'd want to do in the future. The question should be what would 'Huntyism' be? Cooperism? Burnhamism? et cetera, et cetera.
Labour are often lambasted for not building 1000's of houses but what everyone misses is the massive refurbishment program that brought over 1 million houses back up to habitable levels. Local authorities were able to offer grants for vital refurbishments that in the north included inside sanitation and kitchen extension's you could actually walk in to replace tiny scullery kitchen found on 2 up 2 down terraced properties at the time.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PorFavor wrote: Yes - that is a very odd thing to say.
It is, but he's been paid huge amounts of money for years and told he was clever, so doesn't need to do any better.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

SpinningHugo wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Eurosceptic David Davis could oppose government on human rights reform
Tory MP’s comments show growing backbench rebellion over plan that could lead to withdrawal from European court of human rights

Lets hope enough of them see common sense and decency over this dangerously undemocratic proposal, to put a stop to it.

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2015/may ... hts-reform" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't think the numbers are there to stop it. There are only a two or three at most.

If interested in human rights, I have some musings here

https://spinninghugo.wordpress.com/2015 ... ights-act/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An entire set of arguments that are, I am afraid, so mind numbingly bad as to be embarrassing. Unless of course you are simply trolling the argument for fun, in which case Bravo.

I would stick to political punditry if I were you. The idea you hold that it is wrong to limit the power of the state by the HRA is nuts. For the record Hitler was at one point an elected politician.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Presumably Paxo thinks 21st century technology means some sort of spaceship.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

LOL.

What century do roads belong to?

Lots of people make the fair point that we could build lots of smaller lines with the money. That would be "19th century technology" according to Paxo.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Fri 15 May, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I'm reminded of what BorisWatch said when Johnson was doing the old "back to the seventies with Miliband".

Johnson supports a 70s bus, a 70s bridge, and a 70s road.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has admitted that 10 of the 49 benefit claimants whose deaths were subject to secret reviews had had their payments sanctioned.

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/on ... dmits-dwp/
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Bonnie Greer @Bonn1eGreer · 1h 1 hour ago
Make sure mouth isn't full when you read this one:
via @toadmeister-"negligible impact of #Tory press on..#GE2015"
http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/content/w ... l-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I wonder how Shapps has found his first few days at the Dept for International Development? For my Friday afternoon positive thought I allowed myself a bit of happiness that we would no longer have to put up with him acting as general spokesperson for the government all over the media. He is contained.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I wonder how Shapps has found his first few days at the Dept for International Development? For my Friday afternoon positive thought I allowed myself a bit of happiness that we would no longer have to put up with him acting as general spokesperson for the government all over the media. He is contained.
Ooops. I read Dave has promised him a job in cabinet...Once the heat dies down I should imagine.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:All you Northerners, I'd print this off and frame it....

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/commentisfree

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Most of us want some peace, shared prosperity, maintenance of our infrastructure & freedom to live without fear in order to study, work & create. It is not asking for too much. It is more than possible, it is simpler, easier to understand & causes fewer problems in our country & world. Every single person & other life form benefit from this approach.

What do we need to focus on now so we avoid further neglect, homelessness, unemployment, our health compromised trying to function? Could we please have public services administered responsibly? We require appropriate leadership in place to run the country. I'm not suggesting the man I reference below to do anything more than what he currently & correctly, in my opinion, identifies as his most pressing responsibilities.
Huw Irranca-Davies, Labour MP for Ogmore (Wales), I liked his letter RR2 posted a couple days ago.
http://www.huwirranca-davies.org.uk/a-s ... davies-mp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reverend Mike Walsh's letter addressed to Cameron the other day is another example of someone responding appropriately to current events.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ch ... id-5688354" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both people seems to understand the leadership's primary duty toward maintaining stability for those led. Seriously, what can a person think about a man who states, "Britain is too tolerant and should interfere more in people's lives..." five days after a surprising GE result? A man who decides now is a good time to tinker with the UK's relationship within the EU? That's the UK's current PM saying those things. Current government have deliberately created an atmosphere of insecurity, mutability, making shockingly anti-democratic statements indicating government can decide what human rights the nation's people may or may not retain.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/content/w ... l-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
A fine wit below the line appropriately asked why the article's premise relied upon YouGov data as a primary source of validation.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Hard to take their argument that the Mirror counterbalances the views of the Telegraph and Mail seriously, given the fact that the Mirror rarely, if ever, features in the BBC's nightly review of the papers, let alone ever sets the agenda for all BBC political coverage in the way the Telegraph and Mail do.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

From Labour List:

Newly-elected Labour MP call for a leader who won’t “draw back to New...
With a leadership and deputy leadership contest underway, many are offering their view on which path the party should take post-Miliband. A group of newly-elected MPs, which include the likes of...

http://labourlist.org/2015/05/newly-ele ... ew-labour/
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I wonder if any of the Labour leader hopefuls will identify themselves as a social democrat in the way Ed Miliband did? There's a gap in the market given the Libdems look likely to rebuild as pure Liberals.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Citizen JA - thank you very much. I can use these; I have seen the G one but not the others - thanks a bunch.

Tubby - I'm having another look, and running the figures past someone in the Spartacus network. The information given is not ALL the information, there are significant gaps.....as for the new minister, I have sent an email to ONS to ask if they will look into it.

OhSo - What that report says is that 10 of the 49 cases (of 60) that they have completed the peer reviews for had a sanction "at some point".
DWP is claiming that the peer reviewers do not have access to all of the paperwork.
This is risible - when I was at DWP I did a few quality checks and tracking on claims (that's what it was called in those days) and you couldn't even start until you had all of the case file. Obviously.
I suspect that what they are doing is simply looking through the records on the systems and making sure that all the procedures were carried out according to the rules - this is about arse-covering, not really finding out what went on with these poorly people.
Peer reviews are about looking at staffs' work - not properly investigating why these ill people died, and whether DWP actions had an effect on the persons' physical or mental well-being.
As DWP refuse to release anonymised reports, let alone the ones requested by the relations of at least 2 of the deceased, we have no idea what they looked at and whether any staff did anything wrong.
Personally, I am inclined to accept coroners' verdicts on (too many) cases; coroners are cautious in their phrasing of verbal and written statements - if they say that the evidence points to DWP actions having a contribution to a death, I believe them.

As far as DWP is concerned, we cannot expect any truth or reason from the department, the people who run it, and the ubiquitous and nameless DWP spokesperson, all of whom can be relied upon to lie and obfuscate as long as the Tories are in government.
Don't forget - this is not the Department of Health and Social Security and hasn't been for a long time - it's the Department For Stealth and Total Obscurity.

Cameron has taken to say at every available opportunity "I will govern....(insert whatever the lie du jour happens to be) and he is embarked on being jolly serious about everything while saying nothing - and leaving the running of the departments to the morons he has appointed.
There is no oversight - and as with all the other ministers, IDS will carry on fucking things up and people will die. Correction - MORE people will die.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Maybe he's looking passed high speed to Maglev Trains ?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/a ... n-test-run" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Incidentally, any talk of the votes Labour lost to the SNP is slightly misleading. Yes, Labour lost some votes to the SNP but they retained quite a lot too. It was the new voters, 8,000 - 10,000 per seat, that was decisive for the SNP. So the question is more a case of why were Labour unable to attract new voters rather than why did they lose old ones. I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk of the SNP's mobilisation of previous non-voters, as it's something all parties would wish to emulate if they could. How did they do it?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:I wonder how Shapps has found his first few days at the Dept for International Development? For my Friday afternoon positive thought I allowed myself a bit of happiness that we would no longer have to put up with him acting as general spokesperson for the government all over the media. He is contained.
Ooops. I read Dave has promised him a job in cabinet...Once the heat dies down I should imagine.

Shapps will be sat at a desk sulking and not enjoying being a minion. He will be given no work to do because he is a fucktard.

This will give him ample opportunity to indulge in some overseas development. He'll flog his get-rich-quick schemes to Africans.

Now that Cameron has appointed all manner of unelected people to ministries, he'll find somewhere for Shapps to go. The unelected people will decide policy, and the Shappster will sign it all off, bypassing the civil servants whose job it is to stop them screwing things up bigtime. This is what government by spivs is all about.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The Keir Starmer campaign hotin' up

Labour activists urge Keir Starmer to stand for party leadership
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can Keir Starmer really become Labour leader? And should he?
http://www.theguardian.com/law/commenti ... our-leader" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When I mentioned him the other day I wasn't serious, seems others have curve swinging brains as well.
I think Chris Leslie might stand a better chance though.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

AngryAsWell wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/a ... n-test-run" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maglev is one of those fantastic technologies that just won't cut it in the real world. When it works well it is brilliant, but the costs and risk kill it.

Incidentally I have travelled on one, very fast, very smooth. However not noticeably better than the Shinkansen.
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: Presumably Paxo thinks 21st century technology means some sort of spaceship.

Maglev is one of those fantastic technologies that just won't cut it in the real world. When it works well it is brilliant, but the costs and risk kill it.

Incidentally I have travelled on one, very fast, very smooth. However not noticeably better than the Shinkansen.
I've no experience of either so will take your word for it. I just thought if we are going to spend all that money we ma as well make it as up to date as possible. :)
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
Tomlinson is wrong - claims are being processed at twice the rate, not five times; DLA higher rates were 36% of claims not 16%.
He has read the headline "key messages" and misinterpreted them.
Drawn to this last bit. Sounds like there's a complaint to Dilnot in that.

Appreciate your eagle eye.
Me too. Thanks, as always, to @Ephe

Tubby, thanks for your comment (with quotes) about the trains. I've wondered, for a long time, why we never get a proposal for a MagLev like the Japanese Bullet Train. Is it cost, or something else?
Last edited by refitman on Fri 15 May, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: fix bbcode
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AngryAsWell wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: Maybe he's looking passed high speed to Maglev Trains ?

I've no experience of either so will take your word for it. I just thought if we are going to spend all that money we ma as well make it as up to date as possible. :)

Are jet-packs passé now? (Not that they ever did come to pass(é))?

Did you see all them thar brackets?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Robert MacDonald ‏@RFMacDonald 9 mins9 minutes ago

'Andy Burnham has deep roots in the N of the country, in the WC but (BUT!) at the same time he's deeply intelligent'
I heard that and gasped ... and he is meant to be bigging up Burnham!

And if that wasn't wounding enough we then had scads of Bill Grimsey (?) - Labour supporting business person - tearing Labour, Ed Miliband and Chuka Umunna to shreds. Apparently every business person he spoke to when doing some work for Labour asked him why on earth he was doing it because 'they're absolutely unelectable'.
Bill Grimsey isn't exactly my idea of a 'successful' business person and, in the interview I heard with him, just came across as anti-Labour in general and bitter about life – as if he some sort of deity-given-right to meet Ed, in the first place. Just look at the list of all the companies he's been involved with – they don't seem to have, exactly, thrived with his hands anywhere-near the tiller!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

About Keir Starmer. He is trending on Twitter so looks as if he's catching the imagination of some Labour voters.

http://www.keirstarmer.com/about
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

AngryAsWell wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: It was a bit of a trap though as he said Yes! you could say Labour overspent if .... and he never got passed the IF because the audience started howling and Dimbleby when straight in on the attack. By the time it quietened down enough for him to speak again the whole point of what he was saying had gone and Dimbleby swiftly move on. He had already taken a lot of barracking before he got to the IF bit as well.
Labour are often lambasted for not building 1000's of houses but what everyone misses is the massive refurbishment program that brought over 1 million houses back up to habitable levels. Local authorities were able to offer grants for vital refurbishments that in the north included inside sanitation and kitchen extension's you could actually walk in to replace tiny scullery kitchen found on 2 up 2 down terraced properties at the time.
Yep, and up to the Decent Homes Standard, too. Every council-owned estate and individual property in this borough benefitted massively from that change in the RTB legislation which finally allowed councils to spend their receipts from the sale of council properties on anything to do with housing. Under the Thatcher Govt.'s legislation, councils had been expressly forbidden from spending a penny of it in any way on housing matters. The other 'good thing' in housing terms was Labour's tightening up of the RTB qualifications – requiring longer residence first, a lower discount (it was down from 70% to 16% here) and a slightly tougher regime on how much discount people would have to pay back for early sale or not actually being the person who was buying the dwelling. Those were all good things and it's a great shame that many councils chose not to use their borrowing powers to build much, if any, social housing – and that there wasn't a serious push from the Labour Governments to make that happen.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:
The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has admitted that 10 of the 49 benefit claimants whose deaths were subject to secret reviews had had their payments sanctioned.

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/on ... dmits-dwp/
So, at last, that's 10 we know about – although the DWP will still deny that they were in any way culpable for those ten deaths. Thanks for the link, Ohso.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

AngryAsWell wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: It was a bit of a trap though as he said Yes! you could say Labour overspent if .... and he never got passed the IF because the audience started howling and Dimbleby when straight in on the attack. By the time it quietened down enough for him to speak again the whole point of what he was saying had gone and Dimbleby swiftly move on. He had already taken a lot of barracking before he got to the IF bit as well.
Though they were unable to build council properties they neatly sidestepped the problem and here in the midlands at least housing associations grew their portfolios and some fantastic innovative schemes were put in place. These include for those who were earning and wanted to invest in their own future part ownership, self build and other options. It was not the total lack of building its portrayed as because many good properties that would otherwise have been chewed up and spat out by the property developers were rescued, and became good cheap housing.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Goodnight, PF and sweet dreams to you :) (Gosh it's ages since I was around in time to say that!)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.

Night PF :)
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Good night, Por.

I'm off now too - just wanted to leave you with this.....

Having a Health Secretary who seriously believes that diluting a pathogen in 10,000 parts of water can cure serious illness, we have new shiny junior minister, Ben Gummer, who is unequivocally opposed to abortion.

Shapps is a prat, which is one thing - some of these other people are actually dangerous.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

LadyCentauria wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote: Absolutely agree with you, @AAW. He'd already laid out the repairs and rebuilding of schools (so many of which were in a dire state after 18 years of Tory Rule), same for hospitals, and something else (housing?); and he'd compared the levels of debt and deficit at the end of that 18 years under the Tories with what they were before the crash. All of that is positive, none of it is anything for the Labour Party to be ashamed of. Other things were not done right, to my mind, but we should hear what Hunty has to say about those things (which he wasn't involved in as he's not a 'career politician') and what he'd want to do in the future. The question should be what would 'Huntyism' be? Cooperism? Burnhamism? et cetera, et cetera.
Yep, and up to the Decent Homes Standard, too. Every council-owned estate and individual property in this borough benefitted massively from that change in the RTB legislation which finally allowed councils to spend their receipts from the sale of council properties on anything to do with housing. Under the Thatcher Govt.'s legislation, councils had been expressly forbidden from spending a penny of it in any way on housing matters. The other 'good thing' in housing terms was Labour's tightening up of the RTB qualifications – requiring longer residence first, a lower discount (it was down from 70% to 16% here) and a slightly tougher regime on how much discount people would have to pay back for early sale or not actually being the person who was buying the dwelling. Those were all good things and it's a great shame that many councils chose not to use their borrowing powers to build much, if any, social housing – and that there wasn't a serious push from the Labour Governments to make that happen.
I take your point LadyC but bringing boarded up empty houses back into liveable standard is virtually the same as building a house, in that each renovated property provided a home. What I'm trying to say is they did more for home provision than they are credited with.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

AngryAsWell wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: Labour are often lambasted for not building 1000's of houses but what everyone misses is the massive refurbishment program that brought over 1 million houses back up to habitable levels. Local authorities were able to offer grants for vital refurbishments that in the north included inside sanitation and kitchen extension's you could actually walk in to replace tiny scullery kitchen found on 2 up 2 down terraced properties at the time.
I take your point LadyC but bringing boarded up empty houses back into liveable standard is virtually the same as building a house, in that each renovated property provided a home. What I'm trying to say is they did more for home provision than they are credited with.
You're right, it is and they certainly did. Sorry not to have made it clear that my final sentence only aims criticism at those councils which didn't use the powers they'd been given to invest in housing, only the ones they were obliged to on renovation and repair.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Goodnight @Ephe and sweet dreams to you, too :)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Eurosceptic David Davis could oppose government on human rights reform
Tory MP’s comments show growing backbench rebellion over plan that could lead to withdrawal from European court of human rights

Lets hope enough of them see common sense and decency over this dangerously undemocratic proposal, to put a stop to it.

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2015/may ... hts-reform" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't think the numbers are there to stop it. There are only a two or three at most.

https://spinninghugo.wordpress.com/2015 ... ights-act/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An entire set of arguments that are, I am afraid, so mind numbingly bad as to be embarrassing. Unless of course you are simply trolling the argument for fun, in which case Bravo.

I would stick to political punditry if I were you. The idea you hold that it is wrong to limit the power of the state by the HRA is nuts. For the record Hitler was at one point an elected politician.

Did you read it?

I say exactly the opposite in the very first sentence.

I was setting out what bad arguments are, but if you read to the end I set out a good one.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02r9gnb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; just been passed the link to patel on bbc a couple of days ago.
Rejoice all, we are heading for continual growth, everything is rosy, the economy is being 'cured' by the tories.
Idiotic divinity syndrome seems to be contagious.. she has IDS blind faith in her version of reality
It sounds like shes memorised the tory election leaflets, full of soundbites. Trying to decide if shes even worse than McVile.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

thatchersorphan wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02r9gnb just been passed the link to patel on bbc a couple of days ago.
Rejoice all, we are heading for continual growth, everything is rosy, the economy is being 'cured' by the tories.
Idiotic divinity syndrome seems to be contagious.. she has IDS blind faith in her version of reality
It sounds like shes memorised the tory election leaflets, full of soundbites. Trying to decide if shes even worse than McVile.
That's the first time I've seen that - she is utterly dire.

Are these the same people who say "governments can't create jobs"? It'd be nice of someone asked her "OK, how exactly did you create those new jobs?"
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Telegraph NewsVerified account
‏@TelegraphNews
Nigel Farage to sack Patrick O'Flynn in purge of Ukip coup plotters http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... tters.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Suzanne Evans ‏@SuzanneEvans1 1h1 hour ago
Suzanne Evans retweeted Telegraph News
So @Nigel_Farage ex-aide continues his poisonous briefings. He does NF no favours by making him look like a despot.
Evening all. Doesn't look like Ukip's internal fisticuffs is played out yet.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Telegraph NewsVerified account
‏@TelegraphNews
Nigel Farage to sack Patrick O'Flynn in purge of Ukip coup plotters http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... tters.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Suzanne Evans ‏@SuzanneEvans1 1h1 hour ago
Suzanne Evans retweeted Telegraph News
So @Nigel_Farage ex-aide continues his poisonous briefings. He does NF no favours by making him look like a despot.
Evening all. Doesn't look like Ukip's internal fisticuffs is played out yet.
It's the same with any party that is based on a cult of the leader - exactly what happened with the BNP.

Incidentally, I don't think I saw anywhere mention of the fact of the BNP vote disappearing to almost nothing.

I reckon not too many commentators wanted to try and hazard a guess as to where those votes went...looks like that “snarling, thin-skinned, aggressive” aspect of Farage worked a treat.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

SpinningHugo wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: I don't think the numbers are there to stop it. There are only a two or three at most.

Did you read it?

I say exactly the opposite in the very first sentence.

I was setting out what bad arguments are, but if you read to the end I set out a good one.
To be fair, I struggled to actually get a clear grip on exactly what you are saying, possibly too many negatives to get my head round it. So this may be an interpretation issue on my part.

For clarity, Are you saying that the HRA is a good thing because it limits the power of the state to legislate for "the greater good" or are you arguing that it is a bad thing because it does so?
Release the Guardvarks.