Friday 22nd May 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 22nd May 2015

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Am feeling a bit unsettled about loads of people leaving. Isn't that exactly what we shouldn't be doing if we (in the broader sense) are ever going to get any kind of cross-left unity going (perhaps I should say trans-left under the circs)? OK so people kick off a bit. It's easy to avert one's eyes. Indeed I can attest to it. I've been averting mine this evening like no-one's business.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: I honestly don't know. I know they've slung out people that lost their papers...But it was quite casual back then. I was English and we were married over here. It was all that was needed...Thought it would be on record forever, so washing a bit of paper wasn't a problem...Might need to get professional advice.
Sorry I just meant is it likely that Mr Ohso would behave himself.
A vain attempt at lightheartedness in a maelstrom of palava.
Mr Ohso had better behave himself :lol:

Remembering back. He was in the USAF at Greenham Common. He got discharged over here in Nov 1964, which took a bit of doing because most troops went back to the States for discharge. We couldn't afford his air fare back :roll: and there was no law against it, so after advice from the American Embassy, he managed.
The day after his discharge, he rang the DHSS, who issued him with a NI number no questions asked. He went to our doctor who took him on and told him how to get his NHS number, and that was it. He was at work a week later and apart from a few weeks out with an arthritic back in the seventies, worked until he was 73 and has paid income tax to her Maj for all that time without a murmur. He's never had so much as a parking ticket, so he's an upstanding citizen. :rock:

The problem is the rules now don't seem to take stuff like that into account.
Hang on, Ohso, he's lived so long in this country I seem to recall the rules still allowing people with decades of residence in the UK here legally, under the rules at the time of his arrival...let me do some research & post back to you. I wouldn't worry.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I see Ed Balls has been very gracious, self reflective and critical in his interview / statement re withdrawing from politics. Wish more were like that.
It's beautiful.
I didn't think I'd like him but I grew to like him.
His statement of departure was dignified, strong without arrogance.
I love strength without arrogance.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote: Sorry I just meant is it likely that Mr Ohso would behave himself.
A vain attempt at lightheartedness in a maelstrom of palava.
Mr Ohso had better behave himself :lol:

Remembering back. He was in the USAF at Greenham Common. He got discharged over here in Nov 1964, which took a bit of doing because most troops went back to the States for discharge. We couldn't afford his air fare back :roll: and there was no law against it, so after advice from the American Embassy, he managed.
The day after his discharge, he rang the DHSS, who issued him with a NI number no questions asked. He went to our doctor who took him on and told him how to get his NHS number, and that was it. He was at work a week later and apart from a few weeks out with an arthritic back in the seventies, worked until he was 73 and has paid income tax to her Maj for all that time without a murmur. He's never had so much as a parking ticket, so he's an upstanding citizen. :rock:

Hang on, Ohso, he's lived so long in this country I seem to recall the rules still allowing people with decades of residence in the UK here legally, under the rules at the time of his arrival...let me do some research & post back to you. I wouldn't worry.
I haven't properly delved into all the conditions yet. Mr Ohso's blood pressure is so bad, I'm having to get it straight in my head before I get him filling in the forms...And I have to order the book of questions and answers so he can sit the citizen ship test :?
Oh joy!!!! :lol:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: Mr Ohso had better behave himself :lol:

I haven't properly delved into all the conditions yet. Mr Ohso's blood pressure is so bad, I'm having to get it straight in my head before I get him filling in the forms...And I have to order the book of questions and answers so he can sit the citizen ship test :?
Life in the UK test? Is that what you mean? He won't have to take that. He's been here so long it's waived. I'm almost positive that's correct. However, I'll follow up & let you know.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

frightful_oik wrote:Tap, tap! Helloooo, anybody here?
Guys and gals, it saddens me when we have little flare-ups on here. I hope that those who have gone return asap.
A few little tips...
- there's no bonus point for having the last word
- oddly enough, not everyone agrees with you - I'm told there are those who think notts forest aren't a laughing stock :o
- once you resort to personal abuse, you're starting to lose the argument (yeah, I know, hark at him)
- we have more that unites us than divides us; we all loathe the Tories, (I hope!)
- 'sorry' doesn't take long to type
- this is a great place, please don't spoil it
- read your post before you press send just in case you could word something a bit better. It's the arguments that matter, not the personalities.

Maybe the mods can get that 'friend and foe' stuff working sometime so that you can ignore someone if they annoy you. PS you don't need to tell them you've ignored them.

Mary Creagh was disappointing tonight I thought. Not Kendallesque but not good either. Serwotka was very good as usual except he supported the licence fee for all the wrong reasons. :fire:
Beautifully put. Even the bit about Notts Forest, but I reserve the right to insult Dave, Conservatives en masse and UKIP. :twisted:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Hang on, Ohso, he's lived so long in this country I seem to recall the rules still allowing people with decades of residence in the UK here legally, under the rules at the time of his arrival...let me do some research & post back to you. I wouldn't worry.
Life in the UK test? Is that what you mean? He won't have to take that. He's been here so long it's waived. I'm almost positive that's correct. However, I'll follow up & let you know.
Oooh. That'll be welcome news. The book costs £12.99. Good job I'd left ordering it for a day or two.

I must take the 31 sheet of print out, sit, read and digest.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

TGS
Temulkar

Rather than fall out publicly then leave the site, why not move contentious, abusive, things you find or think will be offensive to private messages, and continue to post non directed posts? You both have insights worth reading, but public falling out is not constructive.
Just feel these exchanges lower the emotional value of the group.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
Guys and gals, it saddens me when we have little flare-ups on here. I hope that those who have gone return asap.
A few little tips...
- oddly enough, not everyone agrees with you - I'm told there are those who think notts forest aren't a laughing stock :o
- once you resort to personal abuse, you're starting to lose the argument (yeah, I know, hark at him)
- we have more that unites us than divides us; we all loathe the Tories, (I hope!)
- read your post before you press send just in case you could word something a bit better. It's the arguments that matter, not the personalities.

Maybe the mods can get that 'friend and foe' stuff working sometime so that you can ignore someone if they annoy you. PS you don't need to tell them you've ignored them.

Mary Creagh was disappointing tonight I thought. Not Kendallesque but not good either. Serwotka was very good as usual except he supported the licence fee for all the wrong reasons. :fire:
Beautifully put. Even the bit about Notts Forest, but I reserve the right to insult Dave, Conservatives en masse and UKIP. :twisted:
Outstanding post, thank you. :rock:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: I haven't properly delved into all the conditions yet. Mr Ohso's blood pressure is so bad, I'm having to get it straight in my head before I get him filling in the forms...And I have to order the book of questions and answers so he can sit the citizen ship test :?
Oooh. That'll be welcome news. The book costs £12.99. Good job I'd left ordering it for a day or two.

I must take the 31 sheet of print out, sit, read and digest.
I have to add, he only decided to go for citizenship yesterday evening, so if I seem a little disorganised it's because it's a bit 'soon'.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

ohsocynical wrote: I have to order the book of questions and answers so he can sit the citizen ship test :?
American? It's the language test that you should be worried about. :lol: :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
A few little tips...

Consider those rights well and truly reserved Ohso.

Creagh ... found myself actually shouting at the radio 'it's not just working people ... why can't we be a party for people, just people?' after she kept referring to working people. I'm so fed up of politicians behaving like dolls that come out with pre-programmed sentences and phrases when you pull a cord or press a button ...
Working on the wild side.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
I have to add, he only decided to go for citizenship yesterday evening, so if I seem a little disorganised it's because it's a bit 'soon'.
50 years is aspirationally quick. Mr Ohso should chillax a bit.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

I just done a post, quoted Rebecca and it come up under her name!

No idea how it happened, sorry. Think I better go to bed?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Jon Swindon ‏@swindon81 4 hrs4 hours ago

This takes the biscuit. Knighting of Eric Pickles prompts anger in Merseyside. #ToriesOutNow

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... ar_twitter
Here's something we can be united on....
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:I just done a post, quoted Rebecca and it come up under her name!

No idea how it happened, sorry. Think I better go to bed?
If your name showed in the left-hand panel, your post (which I'm assuming you deleted) didn't come up under her name - and it wouldn't be able to unless you had all her login details and had used them to log in. So, if what you typed came up as quoting rr2, (her name at the top in the body of the post) then you'd accidentally got the cursor in the wrong place, ie., before instead of after the last '/quote' in the post you were replying to. Now, c'mon, be a devil and stay up late. @Tizme1 brought us loads of lovely cake!
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
A few little tips...

Consider those rights well and truly reserved Ohso.

Creagh ... found myself actually shouting at the radio 'it's not just working people ... why can't we be a party for people, just people?' after she kept referring to working people. I'm so fed up of politicians behaving like dolls that come out with pre-programmed sentences and phrases when you pull a cord or press a button ...
I shall scream if I hear 'hard working people' come from the lips of any of the candidates. It should be well and truly expunged from the English language.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I don't have a family so I'm completely ****ed with respect to being considered relevant by a political party.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Polling has now closed in Ireland's Same Sex Marriage Referendum. The count will start tomorrow morning (Saturday.) I have no idea what the result will be but I hope it'll be a resounding Yes!
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

tinyclanger2 wrote:I don't have a family so I'm completely ****ed with respect to being considered relevant by a political party.
You think you've got it bad? I'm a lazy slob as well. I'm dead to them. :lol:
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

@Ohso Thanks for the great post you put up about aspiration, I really appreciated it.

Very much appreciated @frightful_oik's post about finding ways to maintain harmony here, too. And if the Friend/Foe controls would act as the equivalent of an 'ignore' button, that could certainly be helpful. I hope I'd never feel the need to press it, 'though!

And, @Tizme: Delicious cakes, thank you so much /talking-with-mouth-full
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

frightful_oik wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:I don't have a family so I'm completely ****ed with respect to being considered relevant by a political party.
I've had to work hard, and have a family, but don't fit into the narrative. I've always believed in stopping to smell the daisies and that making money shouldn't be the be all and end all of our spell on earth.
Now I'm approaching my 71st birthday it has even more relevance. Believe me. Life's far too short.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Evening all...a blast from the past.
6 Apr 2015 10:43
16 Recommend
So have the LibDems properly owned up yet to leaking the Sturgeon meeting note yet?

Carmichael's "Well, these things happen in elections" nonsense that's about as good an admission of "It's a fair cop - you've got us bang to rights" as we're likely to see.

Motive and opportunity - the basis for most crime.
Well.I.Never.
The wording of Sir Jeremy Heywood's report is interesting:
The Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Haywood concluded that there was no reason to doubt that the civil servant recorded accurately what he thought he had heard.
The report said: "Senior officials who have worked with him say that he is reliable and has no history of inaccurate reporting, impropriety or security lapses.
"The Cabinet Secretary has concluded that there is no reason to doubt that he recorded accurately what he thought he had heard. There is no evidence of any political motivation or 'dirty tricks'."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-32849065
It would seem to suggest that there is at least a strong possibility that the memo was accurate but the Cabinet Secretary doesn't want to waste any more time on it.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:Morning all. I haven't done any politics yet today; a bit preoccupied with the manager situation at DCFC. What a saga! :lol: :fire: :cry:
At least you don't support Leeds :)
Oi!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

BBC article says NHS Trust's deficits have risen to £822m in the financial year 2014/15, rising from 'only' £115m in the previous year. The Department of Health says that Trusts need 'to get better at balancing the books' but the regulator says the coming year's figures are likely to get worse.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32846545
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

David Maddox ‏@DavidPBMaddox 17m17 minutes ago
Welsh assembly members will receive a £10,000 pay rise...do these people have no public awareness? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-32829015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Apparently they do ... and that's why they will not be taking it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Families come in all sizes.
You're a family of one.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

LadyCentauria wrote:BBC article says NHS Trust's deficits have risen to £822m in the financial year 2014/15, rising from 'only' £115m in the previous year. The Department of Health says that Trusts need 'to get better at balancing the books' but the regulator says the coming year's figures are likely to get worse.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32846545
Yep.
Burnham's on it.
Andy Burnham MP, Labour’s Shadow Health Secretary, responding to figures showing NHS Trusts in England have reported a total deficit of £822 million, said:

“This report confirms a growing crisis in the NHS on David Cameron’s watch.

“People will wonder how the Prime Minister can possibly pay for his new round of NHS promises when hospitals are sinking into ever-deeper debt now.

“Without more money this year and next, the NHS will have to brace itself for a round of severe cuts to staffing, beds and services.

“David Cameron was not straight with people at the election on the scale of the problems facing the NHS. With services going backwards and hospitals in financial crisis, it is patients who will pay the price. Rather than empty promises, the Prime Minister must urgently produce a plan to sort out the problems he has caused.”

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1196061 ... cit-of-822" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Evening all...a blast from the past.
6 Apr 2015 10:43
16 Recommend
So have the LibDems properly owned up yet to leaking the Sturgeon meeting note yet?

Carmichael's "Well, these things happen in elections" nonsense that's about as good an admission of "It's a fair cop - you've got us bang to rights" as we're likely to see.

Motive and opportunity - the basis for most crime.
Well.I.Never.
The wording of Sir Jeremy Heywood's report is interesting:
The Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Haywood concluded that there was no reason to doubt that the civil servant recorded accurately what he thought he had heard.
The report said: "Senior officials who have worked with him say that he is reliable and has no history of inaccurate reporting, impropriety or security lapses.
"The Cabinet Secretary has concluded that there is no reason to doubt that he recorded accurately what he thought he had heard. There is no evidence of any political motivation or 'dirty tricks'."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-32849065
It would seem to suggest that there is at least a strong possibility that the memo was accurate but the Cabinet Secretary doesn't want to waste any more time on it.
Thank you, Eric_WLothian, that's my conclusion as well.
I'm not happy about this at all.
The whole thing is corrupt to the core.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

So two weeks after the election. Growth forecasts slashed. Migration figures doubled. Massive increase in hospital trust deficits.

Long term economic plan.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:
I've had to work hard, and have a family, but don't fit into the narrative. I've always believed in stopping to smell the daisies and that making money shouldn't be the be all and end all of our spell on earth.
Now I'm approaching my 71st birthday it has even more relevance. Believe me. Life's far too short.
Beautifully said.
We only get the one life.
It's not a theory.
I like your stories.

Mr. Ohso's requirements for UK citizenship will be based upon when he arrived in the UK.
In 1964 (?), those rules weren't as rigorous as they are currently. At all. I'll research more like I promised though. But I didn't want either one of you fretting at all.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:So two weeks after the election. Growth forecasts slashed. Migration figures doubled. Massive increase in hospital trust deficits.

Long term economic plan.
Don't forget July's Emergency Budget.
Who caused the emergency, Chancellor?
It bothers me no end Tory government seem to get away with this outrageous wrongness.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

LadyCentauria wrote:@Ohso Thanks for the great post you put up about aspiration, I really appreciated it.

Very much appreciated @frightful_oik's post about finding ways to maintain harmony here, too. And if the Friend/Foe controls would act as the equivalent of an 'ignore' button, that could certainly be helpful. I hope I'd never feel the need to press it, 'though!

And, @Tizme: Delicious cakes, thank you so much /talking-with-mouth-full
Thanks. It needed more work but I ran it off between trying to get the copier working and feeding my grandson tea and biscuits.
My grammar needs so much work it can take me days to get something right, but I suddenly had a clear recollection of that time and wanted to get it down.
We never heard politicians talk about aspiration. It's a stupid word. Labour was about a fair deal. Having a chance if you were working class. And there was still a lot of us. Maggie had yet to appear on the scene.
Looking back there was plenty of work around, we were young, had strong family ties, two lovely kids, and finally a roof over our heads.
It was never easy, but I wouldn't mind living it all over again.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Fri 22 May, 2015 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Secret Bank of England taskforce investigates financial fallout of Brexit
News of undercover project emerges after Bank staff accidentally email details to the Guardian including PR notes on how to deny its existence

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... out-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good god what now.
Bank of England officials are secretly researching the financial shocks that could hit Britain if there is a vote to leave the European Union in the forthcoming referendum.

The Bank blew its cover on Friday when it accidentally emailed details of the project – including how the bank intended to fend off any inquiries about its work – direct to the Guardian.

According to the confidential email, the press and most staff in Threadneedle Street must be kept in the dark about the work underway, which has been dubbed Project Bookend.
Edited to add the beginning paragraphs.
????
Sounds like a bad novel.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

citizenJA wrote:
News of undercover project emerges after Bank staff accidentally email details to the Guardian including PR notes on how to deny its existence

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... out-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good god what now.
Bank of England officials are secretly researching the financial shocks that could hit Britain if there is a vote to leave the European Union in the forthcoming referendum.

The Bank blew its cover on Friday when it accidentally emailed details of the project – including how the bank intended to fend off any inquiries about its work – direct to the Guardian.

According to the confidential email, the press and most staff in Threadneedle Street must be kept in the dark about the work underway, which has been dubbed Project Bookend.
????
Sounds like a bad novel.
I'd be considerably more shocked if they hadn't started to research this. they're not amateurs - they'll have papers written for every alternative scenario that comes along.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
frightful_oik wrote: You think you've got it bad? I'm a lazy slob as well. I'm dead to them. :lol:
Beautifully said.
We only get the one life.
It's not a theory.
I like your stories.

Mr. Ohso's requirements for UK citizenship will be based upon when he arrived in the UK.
In 1964 (?), those rules weren't as rigorous as they are currently. At all. I'll research more like I promised though. But I didn't want either one of you fretting at all.
Bless you. The last time citizenship passed Mr Ohso's lips was when Nixon was standing for the presidency. Mr Ohso swore if that twisting you know what got in he was going to apply for British nationality.
The fee had been around £30.
Nixon duly got in and when I inquired at the Citizens Advice Bureau, we found the fees had gone up and we couldn't afford them. So that was that. :lol:
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

citizenJA wrote:

Good god what now.

????
Sounds like a bad novel.
It would be a gross dereliction of duty if they didn't investigate the possible consequences - I don't see why it needs to be a secret. I'd be surprised if there weren't a number of government departments doing similar groundwork.

edited to add @RoT snap!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

Good god what now.

????
Sounds like a bad novel.
I'd be considerably more shocked if they hadn't started to research this. they're not amateurs - they'll have papers written for every alternative scenario that comes along.
If it looks bad, do you think they'll have a quiet word in Osborne's ear? More importantly will he listen?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Okay you lovely people I'm off to bed. Tomorrow's another day as they say...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Goodnight, @Ohso - sleep well xxx
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Hey Mods
Just asking
Was it a good idea to deactivate TheGrimSqueakers account with no option of reconciliation ?
A bit hacked off at the speed to be honest, was just talking to him on twitter and found out his account here is no longer active.
Act with haste repent at leisure.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I love you people
cJA