Friday 22nd May 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 22nd May 2015

Post by rebeccariots2 »

David Cameron backs plans for Ofcom to block 'extremist messages' on TV
PM appears to support Theresa May’s proposals despite business secretary Sajid Javid’s statement that measures would amount to ‘state censorship’

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... censorship" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We are back to the days of Thatcher banning the voices of Sinn Fein from being broadcast ... and some. Scary, scary stuff.
Working on the wild side.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

citizenJA wrote:We're each creative, intelligent people here, I value your posts.
It's not okay to swear at people on the thread, okay, it's over the top.
I've no problem with some tasteful profanity. Never pointed at someone in anger, no.
Please excuse the liberty I take. I'm just a person posting here.
I am what I say I am.
The pointed profanity isn't okay.
I apologise for profanity, but its rather frustrating every time I post to get attacked. Ive been a member of FTN since the start, we used to have people from other parties, lots of greens, a couple of Tusc. Where are they now?

I dont come here to cause trouble or make sly digs at labour, I didnt do that today nor have I at any point since the election.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Temulkar wrote:I haven't posted anything here since the 11th May. Your delusional. Point me to a single one of these posts where I have been making sly digs. In fact point me to any post made since the election where I have been anything other than constructive and trying to add to the debate. The last time I came on I had to ask the mods to step in, after getting attacked because I had the gall to post a kippers reasons for not voting labour. Is that a sly dig? Are my posts on Labour needing to be a grass roots movement a sly dig? Don't be such a fucking cretin.
From the 8th to the 11th you were sniping away, your posts on the 8th upset a lot of people, they were just too polite to tell you; I've long since given up being polite with you, as far as I'm concerned you only ever come on here to cause trouble.
Temulkar wrote:And that is what you havent learned, different voices will add to this place and you may actually learn the big question you have all been asking, which is why did people not vote for labour. I told you before the election that your bitterness and bile was costing you supporters to the greens, I was proven right, you lost at least 12 seats because of us. If you don't learn from that and change you will lose more in 2020.
Ah bless, Tem the prophet was proven right; actually Tem, a fair few of us predicted that the deliberately mendacious campaigning by a fair chunk of the Green Party would cost votes, "Vote Green and get the Tories" we said and, hey, we were right too.

And I'm all for different voices Tem if they engage constructively, but that isn't your way of doing things; you like to undermine, point out how the Green way is the only way to do things right, to tell others to "grow the fuck up" ..... Well, I've always maintained if you have to resort to profanity you've lost the argument but you never present an argument, just a serious of unsubstantiated reasons why you are right and we are wrong; I've got some respect for Tiz, I can tell she is speaking from convictions and makes a good fist of putting her point across, but you ..... not a scintilla.
Temulkar wrote:So whats more important to you, making labour electable again, or venting your bile. If this is just a place for labour supporters make it that place, otherwise suck up the fact other people support other parties and can add to the conversation. And should be able to without being constantly attacked. Basically you need to grow the fuck up.
Did I not make myself clear enough? You were talking garbage, I pointed that fact out; that isn't venting bile, that is freedom of speech, something you seem very keen on unless that speech is addressed to you.

Enough. I've got better things to do than waste my time with somebody who only ever comes on here to provoke an argument. When one of the admin staff is next about can you please delete my account; this board will be so much more harmonious without my contributions.
@Grim, thank you for your comments regarding me, though tbh I think I upset more people in the aftermath of the election than Tem did. I've only got as far as reading this post so I don't as yet know what further responses there have been. I am not going to comment at the moment [if at all ever] on the argument between you and Tem. I don't think it would be helpful. However, I would ask that you reconsider your decision. Not for my sake - I'm not a regular contributor anyway. But for the sakes of other members of the community who I think would sorely miss you. Besides, as a fellow Pratchett fan, I'd miss you too. Somehow or other, we've all got to learn to understand each other a bit better and give each other a little lee way on occasion maybe. I'm not suggesting I know how we can all do that, just that we need to. Here, and in the 'real world' too. And not just so called 'lefties'.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Temulkar wrote:Some good news from france though

http://www.thejournal.ie/french-superma ... 9-May2015/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A supremely sensible idea...Good practice for the future, because there will come a time no doubt when food shortages are a reality.

I remember after the war when every street still had a big galvanised bin for scrap food. The housewives used to put all the vegetable trimmings and food waste in it although we were still rationed on a lot of items and there was rarely any leftovers. Mr Martin the pig man, who owned a pig sties at the local allotments used to come around with his pony and trap every day to empty it.
A lovely bloke, he was suntanned, with black brylcreamed hair and always wore a spotless white shirt, but his grey flannel trousers were held up with a bit of rope, and were tucked into his wellies...We never saw him in a pair of shoes.
He and his cart didn't half stink so he never got much conversation from the locals unless it was at arms length. :D
Your descriptions are priceless, you know?
You're a talented writer.
My childhood in a poor neighbourhood was wonderful. Every child should have what I had. Loved and happy I remember every crack in the path, every moment of it. And yet, I've heard from schoolmates and kids who lived a couple of streets away who couldn't wait to escape. It was all to do with the parents rather than the poverty I suspect.

Via a newspaper article about our old neighbourhood, one guy wrote to me...He'd lived in the next street. He was a headmaster said he'd worked his socks off to escape. I couldn't place him but he said he remembered a pretty little blonde girl who was always smiling. :D
Last edited by ohsocynical on Fri 22 May, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Temulkar wrote:
Point me to the posts where I have been making sly digs. Go on. The search function is there. I have tried to be constructive and add to the debate, just like I did today. When yahyah got upset I apologised even though she misread my post, and Ive also recieved a number of emails asking me to keep posting here, and indeed posts welcoming me back whenever I try to post.

How is is garbage to point out a long standing critic of the greens, and suppporter of Lamb is a long standing critic of the greens and supporter of Lamb? and where is the sly dig at labour? HOw on earth s that coming on here to cause trouble? When you made your point back the first word of my reply was TRUE, wheres the dig at labour?

Your unhinged.

Temulkar - please stop this.

On the board today, you have called people "delusional", "cretin", "unhinged". Personally.

Not so long ago you made reference to how wrong it was for someone here (it was me) to suggest someone has mental health issues (and yes, I did say that Pippa Bartolotti came across in the debates as barking hatstand mad. Mainly because she, er, did).
Mea Maxima Culpa. I'll do a few Hail Mary's if you like.

So I and others are not allowed to say that a person is bonkers in a general way as one would in ordinary conversation - even though it must be obvious that such asides are patently not attempts at psychiatric diagnosis - yet you feel free to call someone personally a cretin, delusional, and now unhinged.

Has it occurred to you that we have these spats much more often when you pop in to instruct us on the error of our ways?

TGS is right to call you out on things he feels passionate about - and now you have succeeded in causing offence to someone who is, for my money, one of the best contributors to the various fora I visit, to the point he has asked to be removed.

If he goes, I will hold you personally responsible - you owe him, and us, an apology.

Unless you have a diagnosis of congenital hypothyroidism, you are in medical terms not a cretin. In the terms you used that expression against another, you are.

Now - how does that feel?
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Would Britain be better off without the Greens?
The much-hyped Green surge has been petering out because the party has been putting left-wing concerns above environmental ones

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general ... gn=DM19733" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's been such a plethora of articles picking over the issues and problems for both Labour and the Lib Dems - and Conservatives actually - following the election but this is about the only thing I've seen on the Greens. It's a bit of a one-sided tack to say the least. Has anyone seen any other coverage / analysis re the Greens and their election?
No, I haven't really noticed any other coverage/analysis on the Green Party's performance in the General Election (or Local Elections, for that matter.) That Telegraph article has a map/graphic in it which is potentially useful, though. It gives the option to view as 2015 result or 2015 2nd Place and the latter shows that they came second in Manchester Gorton, Sheffield Central, Liverpool Riverside, Bristol West, and Camberwell Peckham. Concentrating efforts there over the next five years could well pay off for their candidates (especially, perhaps, if the same people are willing to stand and commit to their constituencies rather than starting again with someone new) and they came 3rd in a further 17 constituencies so there's scope to improve in those places, too. I can't find that interactive map that gave the option of looking at 3rd place, though – the one that was shocking for its splurge of purple, purple, everywhere. Well, across almost half of all constituencies.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Should I go now - whilst there's still someone left to say goodbye to?
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

@ephie,

Ive responded to one poster like that ephie, and my point about the mental health actually had nothing to do with PB (who incidentally I have no time for) it was to do with when everyone was screaming about midwalesmikes article, and about someone who actually did have mental health issues. remember?

Im not apologising for standing up for myself. As I said to TGS point me to the sly digs about labour since the election. They simply do not exist. How did I attack labour by posting about a lib dem commentator? How did I attack labour by posting about a french food giveaway? How did I attack labour by agreeing with TGS on his point whilst reaffirming mine?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Should I go now - whilst there's still someone left to say goodbye to?
Hold my hand PF...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:I took a few days off because politics was wearing me out, making me even more unhappy than I was. But I find I don't really want to do all this again.

Negativity and inability to get along here worse than ever. So sorry, I'm out. Shame, but I'm not sure I add anything. Bye all
All I can say - again - is please don't go. You do add a lot. We will miss you greatly.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mary Creagh is on Any Questions tonight if anyone is interested. 8pm Radio 4.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Should I go now - whilst there's still someone left to say goodbye to?
I'd like to hold hands with Ohso & you, please.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:I took a few days off because politics was wearing me out, making me even more unhappy than I was. But I find I don't really want to do all this again.

Negativity and inability to get along here worse than ever. So sorry, I'm out. Shame, but I'm not sure I add anything. Bye all
All I can say - again - is please don't go. You do add a lot. We will miss you greatly.
Me too, please don't go.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

citizenJA wrote:
Holding hands - that's a jolly good idea. But could you all do it here please? And Grim. And Robert. Please? I'll provide cake and it won't even be green. I promise. If people on here can't sort things out in the long run, how are we ever going to change the world?
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tizme1 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Holding hands - that's a jolly good idea. But could you all do it here please? And Grim. And Robert. Please? I'll provide cake and it won't even be green. I promise. If people on here can't sort things out in the long run, how are we ever going to change the world?
It can definitely be green as long as that means it's got a lot of pistachios in it somewhere. :D
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Lecturers Hit Hard By Zero-Hours Contracts

http://morningstaronline.co.uk/a-4e23-L ... V97LE9Vikr
Once again I have to ask myself. How many who once voted Tory, Green, or whatever put their cross next to Labour this time?
Not many is my guess, because if all the people who are being adversely affected by the Cons had had the courage just this once to vote for the party that would stop the worst excesses, Ed would have been in by a massive majority.

But they didn't. And two weeks later I still have no sympathy for them.

Sorry. Didn't mean to inflame things more than they already are but I'm old. I'm running out of time. I have no patience left.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:I'd like to hold hands with Ohso & you, please.
It can definitely be green as long as that means it's got a lot of pistachios in it somewhere. :D
OK this one is for you [and anyone else who wants some].
Attachments
pistachio cake.jpg
pistachio cake.jpg (5.99 KiB) Viewed 10141 times
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Tizme1 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tizme1 wrote: Holding hands - that's a jolly good idea. But could you all do it here please? And Grim. And Robert. Please? I'll provide cake and it won't even be green. I promise. If people on here can't sort things out in the long run, how are we ever going to change the world?
This is for the chocolate lovers.
Attachments
chocolate cake.jpg
chocolate cake.jpg (7.6 KiB) Viewed 10140 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

A little reminder of just how little some, if not many, people are informed of or engaged with politics.

One of our fellow long term canvassers told us about this doorstep experience on our last evening out knocking on doors.

A middle aged woman came to the door and when asked which way she was going to vote said 'Conservative'. When the canvasser asked why she was voting that way she said ... 'Well, they're the government. You've got to vote for the government, haven't you?'
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rabih Chaaban

The Tories are reviving plans to privatise the POLICE???

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/mar/ ... irms-crime
Well Duhhhh. Wasn't that always the point of the cuts?
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Tizme1 wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: It can definitely be green as long as that means it's got a lot of pistachios in it somewhere. :D
This is for the chocolate lovers.
And for everyone else.
Attachments
rainbow cake.jpg
rainbow cake.jpg (10.78 KiB) Viewed 10135 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:A little reminder of just how little some, if not many, people are informed of or engaged with politics.

One of our fellow long term canvassers told us about this doorstep experience on our last evening out knocking on doors.

A middle aged woman came to the door and when asked which way she was going to vote said 'Conservative'. When the canvasser asked why she was voting that way she said ... 'Well, they're the government. You've got to vote for the government, haven't you?'
Oh God.......
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:A little reminder of just how little some, if not many, people are informed of or engaged with politics.

Oh God.......
Quite.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Oh God.......
Quite.
Last year I had one woman tell me she was voting for Dorothy Thornhill [in the Mayoral election] because she always votes for Dorothy and she was too old to change. This year, as my fellow Green candidate in that ward was also named Dorothy, I was tempted to go and see the woman in question and tell her she could vote for Dorothy twice....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
Lecturers Hit Hard By Zero-Hours Contracts

http://morningstaronline.co.uk/a-4e23-L ... V97LE9Vikr
Once again I have to ask myself. How many who once voted Tory, Green, or whatever put their cross next to Labour this time?
Not many is my guess, because if all the people who are being adversely affected by the Cons had had the courage just this once to vote for the party that would stop the worst excesses, Ed would have been in by a massive majority.

But they didn't. And two weeks later I still have no sympathy for them.

Sorry. Didn't mean to inflame things more than they already are but I'm old. I'm running out of time. I have no patience left.
I agree with you.
Understand what's happening.
Tory government works for a few friends & family.
We have to work together, stand together.
Disagreement is natural, it's good.
Tories & right wing groups love it when non-Tories quarrel.
It breaks our strength.
Our voting system requires party MPs voted into their seat.
The number of seats determines who gets to be government.
Vote your conscience & accept the consequences of that choice.
Don't make enemies where none exist.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Now listen. I'm going to cheer everyone up. This could end up being an epic story.

Mr Ohso having held on to his American citizenship for 74 years, finally gives in and says he's going to apply for British citizenship.
Off I go to the web site. 31 pages of forms and I have no printer.
To Currys this morning where I use some gift vouchers to buy the cheapest one they have.

A lot of swearing later [no improvements to the cheap ones in fifteen years as far as I can see] and the 31 pages were printed out.
I skimmed quickly through them and one thing leapt out at me...

It says you must produce the letter or other paper proof originally giving permission to stay in the UK.

Bugger. I washed it along with Mr Ohso's wallet in 1967. :shock:
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Temulkar wrote:Some good news from france though

http://www.thejournal.ie/french-superma ... 9-May2015/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That article seems to have disappeared but Reuters have a fairly comprehensive piece about it:
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/05/2 ... A120150522
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Lovely cake, Tizme1!
Thank you.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tizme1 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: Oh God.......
Quite.
Last year I had one woman tell me she was voting for Dorothy Thornhill [in the Mayoral election] because she always votes for Dorothy and she was too old to change. This year, as my fellow Green candidate in that ward was also named Dorothy, I was tempted to go and see the woman in question and tell her she could vote for Dorothy twice....
:lol: :lol:

Just tell her to mark both boxes on the ballot paper.

I have often found individuals who I suspect probably shouldn't be allowed to vote, but democracy is imperfect in that regard.
Release the Guardvarks.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Temulkar wrote:@ephie,

Ive responded to one poster like that ephie, and my point about the mental health actually had nothing to do with PB (who incidentally I have no time for) it was to do with when everyone was screaming about midwalesmikes article, and about someone who actually did have mental health issues. remember?

Im not apologising for standing up for myself. As I said to TGS point me to the sly digs about labour since the election. They simply do not exist. How did I attack labour by posting about a lib dem commentator? How did I attack labour by posting about a french food giveaway? How did I attack labour by agreeing with TGS on his point whilst reaffirming mine?

The lady involved in the unseemly row on Mike's blog may have had MH issues - that was manifestly NOT why I and others queried what she said - it was and remains a misrepresentation of what Owen Smith said.
It led to a mendacious allegation and Smith himself was extremely annoyed about it - as I would be had my words been misquoted and used in that way. It had absolutely nothing to do with any health problem the lady concerned happened to have.

(That she frequently uses these issues as a weapon herself is another thing entirely; and having read her articles, I'm inclined to think she is not above claiming victimhood - there is no evidence that she was "hounded off the internet". My view, and mine only)

As someone who has suffered with mental health issues, including addiction to alcohol, I am careful about what I say. Mike made much of all this, accusing people of prejudice that did not exist, and most of it was way below his usual high standards of reportage.

Not once - NOT ONCE - did anyone here (or, indeed, I) make pejorative remarks about a health problem we discovered subsequent to the argument about they way Smith's actual words were misquoted and the conclusions thus drawn from them.

I hope you are happy now. You have - and not for the first time - done your usual schtick and it has caused a row.

I am disappointed that a man of your erudition and intelligence should behave this way. My respect for you is diminished by it.

And I am furious that TGS, and now Robert, have found this place so unpleasant that they feel the need to leave.

I am not alone in wanting them to stay - I may be alone in wishing you would stay away. I hope you do.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

At the risk of being negative ... this is the latest blog from Alex Andreou. He's comparing the fate of Pasok in Greece with the potential fate of Labour if they believe a resurrection of Blairism is what is required.
I think Labour may be over
https://sturdyblog.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... y-be-over/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Tiz - the cakes look lovely.

I'll have a large slice of each (clotted cream with the chocolate cake and lemon sorbet with the pistachio cake) please.

An espresso with a glass of water, and I'll be ready for whatever OhSo's got in her cake tin.

Ta muchly.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

rebeccariots2 wrote:At the risk of being negative ... this is the latest blog from Alex Andreou. He's comparing the fate of Pasok in Greece with the potential fate of Labour if they believe a resurrection of Blairism is what is required.
I think Labour may be over
https://sturdyblog.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... y-be-over/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's OK - as long as we can have our own Syriza with Ed as our leader, that'll be cool.

Even cooler - that man Yanis Varoufakis as deputy. He can bring his brain and deeply cool clothes.

(He and Ed would be very welcome Chez Ephie. I'd give 'em a cup of tea when I stopped swooning....)
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

seeingclearly wrote:And here's the confirmation. ESA sanctions up in one month.

http://benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/3095- ... -one-month" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's bad. It's going to get a lot worse.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

[quote="ephemerid"]Tiz - the cakes look lovely.

I'll have a large slice of each (clotted cream with the chocolate cake and lemon sorbet with the pistachio cake) please.

An espresso with a glass of water, and I'll be ready for whatever OhSo's got in her cake tin.

The bloody cake tin's going to be empty for a few days if not weeks while I try to sort out getting Mr Ohso naturalised.

He's said for God's sake don't do anything to bring him to their attention in case they try to deport him because he hasn't got his home office letter.

As long as he behaves himself no problemo...
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
ephemerid wrote:Tiz - the cakes look lovely.

The bloody cake tin's going to be empty for a few days if not weeks while I try to sort out getting Mr Ohso naturalised.

He's said for God's sake don't do anything to bring him to their attention in case they try to deport him because he hasn't got his home office letter.

Is it likely though?
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:

Yeah, tell him he's got to stop himself from getting assy for a bit - I don't want to be seeing an article in the Reading Post about you two! :D
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

ephemerid wrote:
Temulkar wrote:@ephie,

The lady involved in the unseemly row on Mike's blog may have had MH issues - that was manifestly NOT why I and others queried what she said - it was and remains a misrepresentation of what Owen Smith said.
It led to a mendacious allegation and Smith himself was extremely annoyed about it - as I would be had my words been misquoted and used in that way. It had absolutely nothing to do with any health problem the lady concerned happened to have.

(That she frequently uses these issues as a weapon herself is another thing entirely; and having read her articles, I'm inclined to think she is not above claiming victimhood - there is no evidence that she was "hounded off the internet". My view, and mine only)

As someone who has suffered with mental health issues, including addiction to alcohol, I am careful about what I say. Mike made much of all this, accusing people of prejudice that did not exist, and most of it was way below his usual high standards of reportage.

Not once - NOT ONCE - did anyone here (or, indeed, I) make pejorative remarks about a health problem we discovered subsequent to the argument about they way Smith's actual words were misquoted and the conclusions thus drawn from them.

I hope you are happy now. You have - and not for the first time - done your usual schtick and it has caused a row.

I am disappointed that a man of your erudition and intelligence should behave this way. My respect for you is diminished by it.

And I am furious that TGS, and now Robert, have found this place so unpleasant that they feel the need to leave.

I am not alone in wanting them to stay - I may be alone in wishing you would stay away. I hope you do.
I want Tem to stay too. Being the only Green in the village might get a bit lonely. Besides which, I do honestly believe that we, on here and in the world at large, have got to find ways of respecting and caring for each other. I guess my view in life is; I need to take care of the Tribe, so the Tribe can take care of me. By Tribe though, I mean all people. It's an ideal of course and I don't always live up to it. Especially when I spot a Tory.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Quite.
:lol: :lol:

Just tell her to mark both boxes on the ballot paper.

I have often found individuals who I suspect probably shouldn't be allowed to vote, but democracy is imperfect in that regard.
I might stand our Dorothy in that ward again next year in order to do just that. :lol:
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Ta muchly.
Consider it done - with pleasure.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Is it likely though?
It's a worry for some people. I have a Japanese friend who married a Brit and they had two children. Now aged 20 and 18. She's been here over twenty years but never took British citizenship because she didn't want to give up on her Japanese citizenship [which she would have had to do]. She's a translator and sometimes goes abroad for her work. For the last few years, she has felt a real fear every time she is coming back into the UK. :(

Edited to add that she and her husband divorced a few years ago, hence she feels vulnerable.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tizme1 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Is it likely though?
It's a worry for some people. I have a Japanese friend who married a Brit and they had two children. Now aged 20 and 18. She's been here over twenty years but never took British citizenship because she didn't want to give up on her Japanese citizenship [which she would have had to do]. She's a translator and sometimes goes abroad for her work. For the last few years, she has felt a real fear every time she is coming back into the UK. :(

Edited to add that she and her husband divorced a few years ago, hence she feels vulnerable.
I think the ECHR probably helps in that regard, given the whole family thing. She and indeed Mr Ohso must have some sort of right to reside in the UK as legal aliens.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Is it likely though?
I honestly don't know. I know they've slung out people that lost their papers...But it was quite casual back then. I was English and we were married over here. It was all that was needed...Thought it would be on record forever, so washing a bit of paper wasn't a problem...Might need to get professional advice.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Fri 22 May, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Is it likely though?
I honestly don't know. I know they've slung out people that lost their papers...But it was quite casual back then. I was English and we were married over here. It was all that was needed...Thought it would be on record forever, so washing a bit of paper wasn't a problem...Might need to get professional advice.
Sorry I just meant is it likely that Mr Ohso would behave himself.
A vain attempt at lightheartedness in a maelstrom of palava.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Evening all...a blast from the past.
6 Apr 2015 10:43
16 Recommend
So have the LibDems properly owned up yet to leaking the Sturgeon meeting note yet?

Carmichael's "Well, these things happen in elections" nonsense that's about as good an admission of "It's a fair cop - you've got us bang to rights" as we're likely to see.

Motive and opportunity - the basis for most crime.
Well.I.Never.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Christopher Hope @christopherhope · 3h 3 hours ago
My summary of PM David Cameron's Riga press conference, which finished moments ago: "The more he spoke the less he said".
:lol:

The bits I heard I tried to tune out as he had what I call his Famous Five voice on in full swing ... that forced 'buck up everyone we're all jolly good chums really' tone drives me round the bend.
Someone, a while back, mentioned how his voice increasingly resembles that of Ken Clarke. I agree, but it sounds like a bad impersonation – as if he is attempting (but failing) to give himself more 'gravitas' and to sound like a cross between various 'elder statesmen' of his party – of a Clarkean/Churchillian pastiche with stresses in the wrong places and pauses that only serve to break what sense his utt er ances may con tain. There's an extra dose of Boris-flobber in there, too. P'raps he'll start messing his hair up, too. I've seen quite a few bits of video/television over the election period (and since) of Boris, with perfectly combed hair whilst waiting in the wings, intentionally mess his hair up as soon as he's prompted to move onto the stage or into the broadcast-studio.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I see Ed Balls has been very gracious, self reflective and critical in his interview / statement re withdrawing from politics. Wish more were like that.

Ed Balls unfortunately got the economics right but the politics wrong, one of the foremost economists in the country he will be irreplaceable in many ways, Cameron intellectually cannot touch him, and yes I know both were in Oxford around the same time, beneath the bluster I always had the impression he was a good bloke, raising money for kids with stammers, a good sense of humour, and yes dignity in defeat, and I for one, will miss him.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote: Is it likely though?
Sorry I just meant is it likely that Mr Ohso would behave himself.
A vain attempt at lightheartedness in a maelstrom of palava.
Mr Ohso had better behave himself :lol:

Remembering back. He was in the USAF at Greenham Common. He got discharged over here in Nov 1964, which took a bit of doing because most troops went back to the States for discharge. We couldn't afford his air fare back :roll: and there was no law against it, so after advice from the American Embassy, he managed.
The day after his discharge, he rang the DHSS, who issued him with a NI number no questions asked. He went to our doctor who took him on and told him how to get his NHS number, and that was it. He was at work a week later and apart from a few weeks out with an arthritic back in the seventies, worked until he was 73 and has paid income tax to her Maj for all that time without a murmur. He's never had so much as a parking ticket, so he's an upstanding citizen. :rock:

The problem is the rules now don't seem to take stuff like that into account.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tory is a political party someone may join or not.

Tory party policies throughout their governments & times in opposition have historically demonstrated their consistent attack on cooperative, social democracy. Some council house building got done after WW2 during a Tory government. I don't particularly credit the Tory party with accomplishing what has never been part of their values, policies or leadership - they tolerated some Labour party, Liberal party ideas sometimes.

I'm writing this to explain it's perfectly reasonable to look at history, policy, words, actions, political affiliation & social club affiliation people join voluntarily.

I'd never join the Tory party, never vote Tory & won't support their policies. Individual Tories are human beings with every right to their affiliations, views & vote. The Tory party isn't a good group. The party policies persistently inflict damage. Lives of people without independent wealth, without help or family suffer due to Tory negligence. Tories choose their Bedroom Tax, lack of affordable housing, their lies about the NHS, the food banks, the fear cultivation, the bullying...enough. I'm wholly dissatisfied with the Tory party & people belonging to that party will live with the consequences of their Tory party choices, as will everyone else. It's not good. Tories aren't a good organisation. They're irresponsible liars - over & over again without redemptive qualities. Not all political parties are like that. They don't have to do what they do.

edited to add I was prompted to write this by something I've read in another place & I can't remember where now!
Last edited by citizenJA on Fri 22 May, 2015 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Tap, tap! Helloooo, anybody here?
Guys and gals, it saddens me when we have little flare-ups on here. I hope that those who have gone return asap.
A few little tips...
- there's no bonus point for having the last word
- oddly enough, not everyone agrees with you - I'm told there are those who think notts forest aren't a laughing stock :o
- once you resort to personal abuse, you're starting to lose the argument (yeah, I know, hark at him)
- we have more that unites us than divides us; we all loathe the Tories, (I hope!)
- 'sorry' doesn't take long to type
- this is a great place, please don't spoil it
- read your post before you press send just in case you could word something a bit better. It's the arguments that matter, not the personalities.

Maybe the mods can get that 'friend and foe' stuff working sometime so that you can ignore someone if they annoy you. PS you don't need to tell them you've ignored them.

Mary Creagh was disappointing tonight I thought. Not Kendallesque but not good either. Serwotka was very good as usual except he supported the licence fee for all the wrong reasons. :fire:
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."